Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

j/c

The one scouting report on him compared him to Demarcus Ware. If that's how it turns out, I'll be pretty happy with that.

Yeah after all Lombardi knows what not to do after his oops on Junkin. He wouldn't do that to us again. JK

Actually I'm OK with Mingo I just thought Milliner was a better fit. If I were to complain about a selection it would be Lombardi. IMO Browns fans got cost plussed on that one.

Legend
Legend
Man he just explodes off the snap. It's like he's immediately a yard further into the pocket, or to the RB, than everyone else is.

As far as that video though ...... man there is some really foul language in that. You probably want to delete that one. I heard a few "f-bombs".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
For all the talk about how skinny and light he is, he's only a few pounds lighter than Dion Jordan who has only 1 inch on him.

I think we got great value for the pick, considering the class lacked a lot of players at primo positions.

I really hope they got input from Ray Horton about him, and what he thought he could do with him in his scheme. If that were true, I'd feel even better about it.

I love what we are doing with this front 7, we have really ignored it too much for years. Yes, there has been a pick here and there, but it really seems like they are deadset on getting this right.

I'm not worried about CB. For one, I think there are still some good ones available in this draft. This defense also doesn't require top-end CB's. Pittsburgh has gotten away with serviceable guys for years. It's all about creating havoc around the QB. I'm more concerned with getting that other safety position filled.

Won't there still be some cuts to come as well? There are quite a few teams near the cap, and will now need space to sign their draft picks. With us having the most cap space, couldn't we maybe take advantage of that? I read a story last week about some teams being within just thousands of the cap number. Can someone go into this a little further?

Ray Horton has to be drooling at all the options he has been given for this front 7. He can really mix and match things. If we can hand him a good FS, we're gonna be ready to go.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I have NO problem with the pick. I have a HOOJ problem with the fact that we didn't trade down to 9, get Bark there and get a 2nd rounder! NO one would have taken him 3 picks later (the Cards, Jets and #8 went for Offense or DBs) since we seemed to want him so much AND have a good spot in the second round. Now we have to wait until 3 OR make some WILD deal to trade back into the round!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Sorry slick. The dude is a beast! I really liked Milliner but he will never be much more than just a good corner. He will not be a shutdown corner.
Mingo on the other hand IMO was the best pass rusher in this draft. I watched a lot of him over the past couple years. We did our due diligence on him and that's why most experts had him a top 10 pick.
As for me.....our new FO has started off with a home run!! As Banner said it would be all of them in agreement with the pick and I'm positive they saw what all us SEC guys have been seeing!!!!! It was a easy pick!!! !
WOW im estatic!!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I have NO problem with the pick. I have a HOOJ problem with the fact that we didn't trade down to 9, get Bark there and get a 2nd rounder! NO one would have taken him 3 picks later (the Cards, Jets and #8 went for Offense or DBs) since we seemed to want him so much AND have a good spot in the second round. Now we have to wait until 3 OR make some WILD deal to trade back into the round!

How do you know the deal was at 9?

The Jets could have easily gone after Mingo as well. They were rumored to have interest.

If Mingo pans out and becomes an all-pro, you won't care that you didn't get some random 3rd round pick out of the deal. Don't become obsessed with draft picks.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

People need to understand that he's not here to lead the team in tackles or even sacks, he's here to apply pressure which if it happens to be a sack great, but if he applies constant pressure he will have to be double teamed and the RB will have to go to his side to help block, thus opening up the other side / players to become one on one with thier blocks with them getting the sack, I dont expect him to be a hugh stat person, but with his presents coming off the edge he will open up double to single team blocks for other players....

A
Rookie
Rookie
A

The Jets could have easily gone after Mingo as well. They were rumored to have interest.

If Mingo pans out and becomes an all-pro, you won't care that you didn't get some random 3rd round pick out of the deal. Don't become obsessed with draft picks.

Yes Dad...

Look, no one knows what's gonna happen obviously, but the Jets had to replace Revis and CB made sense. Even if Bark would've been taken by the Jets I'm sure there were plenty of other positions to have looked at (CB, WR, QB etc.)

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2) Dingo/Mingo jokes 3)

*ahem* Mingo/Mongo jokes! Plus the whole "guy named Bark on a Dawg defense angle" ... he's a 10/10 if we were grading purely on his name. Too bad the rest of him is pretty raw, but I'm willing to give him a chance, and hope he maxes out his potential, as he would be a heck of a player.

Putting the Bark (with a BITE ) back in the Dawg Pound....That's good I should copyright that.

Fixed it for ya

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
Legend
Legend
Mingo's nickname is "Ke Ke" ....... and when I heard that all I could think of was that Elton John/ Kiki Dee song from years and years ago called "Don't go breaking my heart". lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Yes Dad...

Look, no one knows what's gonna happen obviously, but the Jets had to replace Revis and CB made sense. Even if Bark would've been taken by the Jets I'm sure there were plenty of other positions to have looked at (CB, WR, QB etc.)

I really think drafting for need with a pick that high is playing with fire. The best teams go with the best player, and it seems like that's what they did.

I can't fault them if they think Mingo is a better player than Milliner.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Mingo's nickname is "Ke Ke" ....... and when I heard that all I could think of was that Elton John/ Kiki Dee song from years and years ago called "Don't go breaking my heart". lol

Back to football: here's a cut-up from all plays vs TexAM, Auburn, Bama and Washington...tell me what you see:

http://www.youtube.com/v/dIms6ImVG6w

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
A raw pass rusher playing a lot of contain.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

What if Sheard can't play OLB??? As you say "we have a big hole at OLB then"
I'm a SEC guy....Mingo is a beast!!!! I love Millner too...but we got a STUD!!!!

LINK

With drafting of Barkevious Mingo, Jabaal Sheard still has a place in Cleveland Browns' defense, Rob Chudzinski says

Tom Reed, The Plain Dealer
April 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

BEREA, Ohio - Jabaal Sheard is making quite a sacrifice, switching from left defensive end to right outside linebacker.

It's sounds as though he will continue that transition with the Browns.

Coach Rob Chudzinski said he has plans for Sheard despite the franchise's decision to select edge rusher Barkevious Mingo with the No. 6 overall pick on Thursday night. Some have speculated the club might move Sheard if the Browns chose another edge rusher after signing Paul Kruger in free agency.

"Jabaal, I've been really impressed with him during the minicamp [last week] and his ability and how quickly he's demonstrated that he can make the adjustment to a 3-4," Chudzinski said. "Adding [Mingo] in the mix gives us another pass rusher and a solid rotation. That group we plan on rotating anyhow between Paul, Jabaal, [Mingo] and also with Quentin [Groves]. You can't have enough pass rushers, and keeping those guys fresh is a key."

Sheard, who recorded a club-best 15.5 sacks during the past two seasons, was asked last week about the possibilities of the team picking another edge rusher in the first round.

"I'm just going to keep working and do my job and see how it works out," he said.

Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton said he plans to use a multifront defense which could give Sheard a chance to sometimes play end in a 4-3 scheme.

Sheard has focused on the footwork required for his new position, especially dropping into pass coverage. He trained at a Miami-based facility run by Cleveland native and former NFL receiver Chris Chambers.

Legend
Legend
Also, A&M ran a ton of quick passes, and moved the pocket on almost every play. Mingo was playing outside contain on many different plays. That's not his strength.

He also showed great speed on a number of plays. He rushed right on one play, only to reverse field and chase the play down on the backside.

He blitzed on another play just to come up a split second to late for the sack ..... but let's not forget that Manziel is a pretty damn quick QB. Mingo did get to him for a sack, and pressured him into an INT on another play.

Man they played him in a ton of outside contain against A&M.

That's as far as I got for now.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
EXACTLY!!!
What most of the people on this board (this is the crap the reminds me of why I don't frequent here more often) don't know because all they do is look at the sack total and freak out. If you actually watch this kid as j have or watch film of him as a scout does you will see that he played in a containment style of D most of the time but you can see the explosion off the ball on every down and when asked to pressure he was as disruptive of a edge rusher as is in this draft by far. The film doesn't lie folks!!!!
You will be proud of this pick come season.....TRUST ME!!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns missed on trading back or maybe actually got the guy the always wanted. I have been posting that the Browns were hurting for certain at DE. It would appear that Horton and the crew believed so too. So the Browns drafted Mingo to fill that void. This brings me back to what I've been saying all along, the Browns have too many interior lineman and most are questionable as to being able to convert to DE or in Sheard's case OLB.

This is the perfect setup for the Browns to make the move and trade Rubin now to get back into the 2nd round. Rubin is the only player of the DL front that can get the Browns back into the 2nd round. Let's not kid ourselves, CB is a huge need on this team and I don't believe the Browns will want to wait until the 3rd round to get a shot at a CB. With 2 safetys and 4 CB's already off the board in the first 32 picks, it would appear that getting back into the 2nd round for a CB would become critical at this stage.

The top 4 CB's left on the board are:
Taylor, Boise St
Banks, Miss St
Alford, SE LA
McFadden, San Diego St

There's a huge drop off after that so if the Browns are looking at CB then they need to make some kind of move to get back into the 2nd round and I think it will take trading Rubin to do that.

I think we also have to keep in mnd that if the rumors are true about us potentially going after Miami WR Bess then it will cost us a late round pick. Though not popular at all, I think the Browns have to pull the trigger of trading Rubin to get back into the 2nd round to get a much needed CB. The positives are the Browns can unload a 6 plus million dollar contract and address a serious need at CB. The negatives are the Browns lose a great DT. However, Winn, Hughes, and Taylor have been great finds and Rubin will not be missed as much as people might think. Not getting a CB to play opposite Hayden will be a huge void in the defense. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions - question is will the Browns pull the trigger or will they take a chance on being continually burned in the passing game much like they were in 2012?

I don't think they are going to play hiim at DE.. I think he's going OLB...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
N
Legend
Legend
N
watch the Clemson and Georgia games and you'll fall in love with what Mingo can do

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

watch the Clemson and Georgia games and you'll fall in love with what Mingo can do

Someone made mention of him only having 4 sacks last season.. But that's not the only thing he seems to do. He disrupts things in the backfield, he gets to the RB behind the line of scrimmage and he appears to be intimidating.

There is more to life than Sacks...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Rookie
Rookie
A

I really think drafting for need with a pick that high is playing with fire. The best teams go with the best player, and it seems like that's what they did.

I can't fault them if they think Mingo is a better player than Milliner.

Nor can I, but getting another pick is what probably could've happened. I think mingo might be great of anyone else they like, but we'd have had quantity and quality, IMHO.

D
Legend
Legend
D
So we seem to have killer rotation at the defensive line. Now it seems we will have decent to killer rotation at linebackers.

Fresh/rested bodies being sent at the QB is going to wreak havoc.

Legend
Legend
Obviously they felt like there was an enormous drop off from Mingo to the next pass rusher.

After Mingo, the next pass rusher/OLB to go off the board was Jarvis Jones, who many on here disliked. After that .... who?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

So we seem to have killer rotation at the defensive line. Now it seems we will have decent to killer rotation at linebackers.

And people think defensive back coverage is more important!!

We need upgrade in the secondary, but not nearly as much as we did at LB's. Compare to last year I think we are worlds better.

Legend
Legend
ESPN writes nice things about us?

Browns send message by drafting Mingo - AFC North Blog - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69287/browns-send-message-by-drafting-mingo

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns could've gone with the flashy pick by drafting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith. They could've played it safe by taking Alabama's Dee Milliner, the top-rated cornerback in the draft.

Instead, Cleveland made the right move in going with LSU pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo with the No. 6 overall pick, sending a message to the rest of the league: The Browns are coming after your quarterback this season.

The first free-agent signing by chief executive officer Joe Banner was Paul Kruger, the sacks leader for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. The first pick of this new era was Mingo, one of the most explosive and athletic defensive players in this draft.

The Browns didn't address their biggest need at cornerback. They didn't bring in a playmaker to spark a long-struggling offense. What the Browns did accomplish was to put some fear into Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger and Andy Dalton.

"We've talked about bringing in aggressive players to play in an aggressive scheme. He fits that very well," Banner said. "This was the outcome we were hoping for."

How much did the Browns want Mingo? Banner said he had a trade in place if Mingo didn't fall to them. When he was there, the Browns didn't think about trading down.

The Browns are doing more than switching to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Ray Horton. They want to change the mentality. Last week, during the Browns' first minicamp, linebacker D'Qwell Jackson talked about giving the Ravens and Steelers "a little dose of their own medicine."

That wasn't the case last season, when Browns linebackers combined for 19.5 tackles for loss and sacks, the lowest mark in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Browns now have playmakers in Mingo and Kruger.

"We feel like building this the way we are, with character and aggressiveness and quickness, that this was the right guy at this time as we looked at our board," Banner said.

There will be some teeth-gnashing that the Browns didn't draft someone to improve upon the NFL's 24th-ranked scoring offense, but the Browns didn't need Smith, another strong-armed quarterback like Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell.

Some will worry that Buster Skrine is still penciled in as the starter at cornerback. As I wrote previously, Milliner doesn't make enough plays to be taken at No. 6.

Asked about passing over a cornerback, Banner said: "We're not going to force filling a need on a short-term basis. We're not going to fill all the needs on this team this year. It's just not going to happen."

Plus, teams can get by with average corners if they can put pressure on quarterbacks. Look at the Ravens, who won a Super Bowl with Cary Williams (a seventh-round pick in 2008) and Corey Graham (Pro Bowl special teams player) at cornerback.

"It all starts with the pass rush," coach Rob Chudzinski said.

The reason I like the decision to pick Mingo goes beyond his name, which sounds more like a character in the "Harry Potter" books. (His name, by the way, was made up by his mother, who wanted something different. His brother is named Hughtavious. Yes, really.)

In his first interview with Cleveland reporters, Mingo didn't sound overwhelmed by the upcoming challenges of the NFL, which comes from his SEC pedigree. His sacks dipped to 4.5 in his final season in college, but his confidence did not.

On his vision for his pro career, Mingo said: "I think I can be as good as I want to be -- and I want to be great. I want to be one of those guys that gets their names in Canton, Ohio, and be a dominant player."

Even though Mingo didn't produce strong sack numbers, he still made quarterbacks move out of the pocket and hurry throws. He recorded 28 total pressures (hurries and knockdowns), tied for the second most in the SEC. Only Jarvis Jones (31), who was later drafted by the Steelers, had more.

Mingo is freakishly athletic. He has a tremendous upside. Sure, Mingo needs to bulk up if he wants to defend the run, but he brings something you can't teach: an explosive first step.

"I think I'm the best pass-rusher," Mingo said. "Week 1 and the preseason, I'll get to show it."

Cleveland didn't need to draft a pass-rusher. The Browns already had Kruger, Jabaal Sheard and Quentin Groves (and Browns officials said they had no immediate plans to trade Sheard).

The Browns, though, made the right pick because they went with the best player available. Reaching for a player like Smith or Milliner won't change double-digit losses season after season. This is about building a team, and that begins with embracing an attacking style of play. And, adding some 'Bark' to the Dawg Pound seems appropriate.

"It really started with our coaching search and Chud's philosophy, which is part of the reason why he got the job frankly, about playing aggressive and attacking defense and making life uncomfortable for quarterbacks," Banner said. "It's about being on the attack even when the other team has the ball. I think you could see it in the moves that we made, whether it's in the free-agent moves or what you've seen so far in the draft. It fit the plan."

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
For everyone that is worried about his 4.5 sacks last year at LSU I seem to remember someone else coming out of college with only 4.5 sacks out of USC and he has been a pretty good pass rusher now in the NFL in a 3-4 defense... Clay Matthews anyone. Not saying Bark is the next Matthews just saying you can't determine a players NFL success by his collegiate stats based on scheme they ran in college, etc.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

And people think defensive back coverage is more important!!

We need upgrade in the secondary, but not nearly as much as we did at LB's. Compare to last year I think we are worlds better.

No doubt. An attacking front is going to make any secondary look studly. I love the move with taking Mingo. Yes I pimped Milliner, but after thinking about it I think this move made more sense.

YBrown made a great point, who/what other pass rusher was there to take? The Brown's wanted him so badly I heard they were manufacturing trades to assure they got Mingo. Seems like Horton will have a fun time seeing other QB's get smacked in their mouth after each snap.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Quote:

Quote:

Back to football: here's a cut-up from all plays vs TexAM, Auburn, Bama and Washington...tell me what you see:

http://www.youtube.com/v/dIms6ImVG6w

Okay, I watched the whole thing. My opinion/s

-Seems to struggle shedding blocks. Or else the guys blocking him were really good.
-Seems very disciplined, meaning it seemed very obvious when the D scheme had him designated as outside contain. (I mean that in a positive way. Discipline is a good thing. Follow the scheme)
-Basically a speed rusher (which is what we've been told anyway)
-Not a "sure" tackler. Lots of arm "almost" tackles.
-Def. not a "bull" rusher.......again, I think that's been agreed on by most everyone.
-Loves to line up "way" outside. Is that him, or the scheme? I don't know.
-Relies primarily on speed to get around the tackle on a pass rush. Spin move, while there, isn't astounding.
-If he stunts to the inside, he struggles.
-Likes to "lock up" with a blocker.

I'm not "high" on him, I'm not "down" on him. Just stating my observations on that tape.

In our d "scheme".....he may be good, he may not. He does seem coachable, if I can make that stretch based on what I saw, meaning, again, it was obvious when he had outside contain. He failed at it a few times, but such is life.

Legend
Legend
Jamie Collins from Southern Miss? Trevardo Williams from UConn? Those are really the only other true 3/4 OLB who will fit nicely

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

After Mingo, the next pass rusher/OLB to go off the board was Jarvis Jones, who many on here disliked. After that .... who?

How about Carradine or Moore in the 2nd after taking the Rams offer instead? Sure, they aren't the athlete Mingo is, but as situational/3rd OLBs plenty good enough

#gmstrong

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I have no problem with Mingo. I do have a problem with he fact that we could have easily gotten Mingo and a 2nd.

I listened to Joey Banana's presser and he wouldn't even talk about it.

I dunno about that guy. And where the hell was lombardi? This is the craziest FO I've seen here since Policy/Clark.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good stuff, thanks arch

Many guys are seeing the same things. He is what he is right now....if he can't get more physical add wight without losing speed/quickness, learn tackling/finishing plays, better hand usage....lots of fundamental flaws for a 6th overall pick to ask to make a conversion on top

I love his hustle though, his motor is not a question mark and speaks volumes about his character, which our consensus outlined as a major reason for picking him. My fear is that he's a "tease player" that is disruptive but just can't finish plays...how often have we seen that vs a QB like Big Ben? Otoh, he was a true JR and is very young, so there should be some upside left to teach him stuff.

We will see, as strange as this might sound, the Mingo pick will look better or worse for me depending on what we do with our next picks. I always look at drafts as a whole and how our FO plays it, that's still wide open

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have no problem with Mingo. I do have a problem with he fact that we could have easily gotten Mingo and a 2nd.

I listened to Joey Banana's presser and he wouldn't even talk about it.

I dunno about that guy. And where the hell was lombardi? This is the craziest FO I've seen here since Policy/Clark.

I am just not following you. There's no guarantee that Mingo would be available wherever we happened to trade down to. You're basing our front office being crazy based on the Mingo pic? There a quite a few respectable sources saying it was a good pic, and the methodology used to select him was sound. As a matter of fact, I've not read anywhere but here that it was a crazy, foolish pic.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We will see, as strange as this might sound, the Mingo pick will look better or worse for me depending on what we do with our next picks. I always look at drafts as a whole and how our FO plays it, that's still wide open

That's not strange at all to me. For me, the draft isn't about winning the pick. It's about "how do you most-improve your team with the resources available to you?" JMO.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I said it before the draft, if you like a guy that much, you do whatever you have to do to get him, and you don't worry about anything else.

In this case, that meant staying put and not messing around with trading back and banking on a guy being there.

I like that this FO seems to be direct.

Past FO's have reached and gone away from their philosophy. I thought Heckert at times, and maybe not by his fault, seemed to care more about stockpiling picks than getting the guy he wanted.

Banner could be spoonfeeding us BS, but it seems like this is what they wanted, and yeah, they could have maybe moved back and gotten another pick, but at the risk of not getting their guy. If you make that move and don't end up with him, that could be the beginning of the end. You start chasing. They stuck to their plan. If Mingo busts out, at least they knew that they stuck to their guns.

You will never win when you're all over the place, but if you stay with your plans, you actually do have a shot.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mingo Conf. Call Transcript - 4/25

The transcript of Barkevious Mingo's conference call with the Cleveland media.

(On his reaction of coming to Cleveland) - “I just had a really good visit. Going there, the coaches, obviously were very impressed. I fell in love with the city and now I have a chance to play there.”

(On if he met with Ray Horton during his visit) - “Yes, I talked to coach Horton. We pretty much went over how they want to use me in their scheme. We talked about football, we talked about how they wanted to get to know me as a person, obviously, and that’s pretty much the extent of my visit there.”

(On how are they going to use him in the 3-4 scheme) - “They needed pass rushers. They want somebody to get to the quarterback and help on the defense.”

(On if the team wants him to get bigger and stronger) - “Definitely. In my talks with them it was a concern, but it’s not really a concern. I can easily put the weight on and hold it throughout the season; it’s just the fact of doing it.”

(On if he knew the Browns were going to take him) - “I did not know going in. It was the stylist’s favorite color. We went with it and I thought it looked really good. It’s a coincidence, really big coincidence.”

(On what makes him such a good pass rusher and why will he fit with the Browns) - “I just have to want to get there. I have high energy, a quick first step, be first to the ball and that’s what they like about me. That’s what they wanted to add to their team and I feel I can bring that.”

(On reaction about being selected by the Browns) - “Oh, I’m very excited. I’m a national football player, it’s a lifelong dream. Now, I get to play for a team that loves football. Coming from my visit and sitting with coach Horton, he informed me of the tradition of the organization and how much the fans love their city. It really made me want to play there.”

(On experience in covering tight ends or running backs in pass coverage) - “Did it a few (times) while I was at LSU. Not too much, but I don’t think it’s a pretty big deal.”

(On switching to outside linebacker and being more effective as pass rusher) - “I agree completely with that. With the offensive lineman not knowing if I’m coming or dropping back into coverage, they can’t predict where I’ll be at.”

(On why his statistics were lower his senior season as opposed to his sophomore season) - “Just scheme on both sides of the ball. Offensive coordinators obviously don’t want their quarterbacks to be hit, so they’ll chip. With fast defensive ends, they’ll slot the line, they’ll three-step drop. Quarterbacks have been doing that for a long time. Also, on our side of the ball, we played mobile quarterbacks and box schemes. Our defensive coordinators didn’t want us to get up field and lose contain on those guys and let them make big runs. Those kind of box schemes, we would contain more than rush on some games.”

(On where he thought he would go when the night started) - “Honestly, it was wide open. My agent didn’t know anything, I didn’t know anything. Really just came in hoping for the best.”

(On his vision for his pro career) - “I think I can be as good as I want to be and I want to be great. I want to be one of those guys that get their name called in Canton, Ohio and be a dominant player.”

(On how playing in the SEC prepared him for the NFL) - “I think we have played in NFL type games, week in and week out. A lot of those guys that got their named called earlier are from the SEC. It shows. Obviously, we have a lot more guys that really make an impact on an NFL team.”

(On adapting his attitude from winning every year in college to potentially losing in the NFL) - “Just do everything I can to change that. Get to the quarterback, cause turnovers and win games. That’s what it’s all about.”

(On how much time he has spent in Ohio and in the north in general other than visiting and working out for the Browns) - “Really, that was kind of the first time. I took a couple visits coming out of high school to Michigan and UCONN, but those were the only trips I made up north.”

(On how successful he and Paul Kruger could be as a tandem) - “He is a terrific defensive end. Gets up, makes plays, causes havoc and sacks quarterbacks. With us two on the ends, it’s going to be hard for offensive lines to slide one way or the other or do anything really.”

(On his expectation to potentially win a starting job out of training camp) - “That’s my goal. My goal is to be starting week one and help win games. That’s what they are bringing me in here for and that’s what I’m committed to doing.”

(On his stunning smile and where in his family he got that from) - “Honestly, I don’t know. I guess, I don’t know. But thanks!”

(On how he was named Barkevious and whether he realizes that it is fitting for the Dog Pound) - “It’s very fitting. My mom just kind of made it up. She came up with it. She just wanted to be different I guess. She thought Barkevious was different.”

(On how he compares himself to Dion Jordan and whether he sees himself as the best pass rusher in this draft) - “I just think I’m the best pass rusher. Week one preseason, I’ll get to show that.”

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I love his hustle though

watching the video you posted that was my first thought... great hustle and seemed to be pretty disciplined and I thought did a nice job of breaking down the offensive play adn getting in the right place.. I did see a couple missed tackles and he's not strong enough to do a bull rush to get into the backfield... but I saw him doubled several times, had a ton of speed, and I liked that he got up in the air a few times to either bat a ball down or make a pass a little harder...

I didn't know a ton about the guy before yesterday but so far I'm liking what i'm seeing.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How do you know that? What was the exact trade that was in place, and with who?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With the 3 tackles off the board, i think the Browns had no trade partner and they went for their height weight speed guy. I was PO'ed when I got home this morning and saw Mingo selection.

Pass rushers with poor hand technique is a major negative for me. He has the great feet and good balance on the edge but it is negated with really sloppy hands. His hand technique is bad and it shows even in his tackling. He doesn't extend to get separation and when he is wrapping up he is grabbing instead of wrapping.

Now if he can learn hand technique, the sky is the limit and a 3 man rotation of edge rushers in Sheard, Mingo and Kruger could be scary. I would send him to work with Jay Glazier. HIs MMA training does a fantastic job of teaching these guys how to use their hands.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/k

People need to understand that he's not here to lead the team in tackles or even sacks, he's here to apply pressure which if it happens to be a sack great, but if he applies constant pressure he will have to be double teamed and the RB will have to go to his side to help block, thus opening up the other side / players to become one on one with thier blocks with them getting the sack, I dont expect him to be a hugh stat person, but with his presents coming off the edge he will open up double to single team blocks for other players....

Agreed.

AND.... when he's not double-teamed, he still doesn't have to log a sack to be effective. One of my pet sayings is: "Good things happen when you get pressure." Forcing the QB off his spot, disrupting timing, etc often leads to picks downfield, or incompletions on 3rd & long plays. Either way, your D will have done its job.

Sacks are great, but constant pressure (wherever it comes from) wins you not only field position, but games, as well.

I like the idea behind this pick, and I'm looking forward to watching this kid develop.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BTW this was my top 30 from the other thread. Vikings made out pretty damn good according to my board. O well, hard not to like a Dawg named Bark even if he is taken at 6 overall and didnt make your top 30 lol

1. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
3. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
4. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
5. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

6. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
8. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
9. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
10. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

11. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
12. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
13. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
14. DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama
15. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

16. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
17. Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
18. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
19. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
This ends my first round grades

20. Landry Jones QB OKla
21. Travon Austin WR WV
22. Sylvester Williams DT UNC
23. EJ Manuel QB FSU
24. D.J. Swearinger, SS, South Carolina

25. Matt Barkley QB USC
26. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut
27. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
28. D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
29. Brian Winters, OG, Kent
30. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Round 1 Pick: Barkevious Mingo

Link Copied to Clipboard