Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#780394 04/25/13 11:54 PM
Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Do we trade into the 2nd round, or stand pat? If the latter, what position are we targeting?

Prediction time.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It would not surprise me to see us trade into the middle of the 2nd round to target a CB.

Beyond that, I can see us looking at a S, an OL, and maybe a TE.(although not as sure of this as some other people seem to be)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I'm sure we want into the 2nd, but without a trade down from 6, I don't see how that's going to happen. And no, we better not trade any of next years draft.

We'll wait for our 3rd round selection.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Not sure we. Have the ammo to trade back into the second round.

Riddler Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
QB's?, be interesting to see how far they fall and if that affects what we do.....

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Do we trade into the 2nd round, or stand pat? If the latter, what position are we targeting?

Prediction time.

I think it all depends on how the Browns view Geno Smith, evidently not as a first rounder, but the point remains.

I think the Browns sit still and select Tyrann Matheiu, hard to give a player crap for smoking weed when the owner has stolen millions of dollars...ahem allegedly stolen millions of dollars.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not sure we. Have the ammo to trade back into the second round.

I suppose we could package our 3rd and 4th to get into the late 2nd (the goofy draft value chart says its "possible"). I'm not sure it would be worth it though.

I would stick with what we have and find a speedy CB at the top of the 3rd. I'm not sure what our next biggest need is (safety?).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Give me Jordan Poyer from Oregon State

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really don't want a trade back into the second. You have to say to yourself, " Ok , we just drafted John Gordon with the 2nd pick in the draft," now onto the 3rd round. So far this draft is 1)Mingo, 2)Gordon. Don't jeopardize the high 3rd and 4th round pick to unnecessarily move up. Stay put!

oioioioi
Legend
Legend

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I like the corner from Miss State and Boise. Can't remember their names, but I love both of them. They'd be a good fit, IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
That's true. I would suppose that it depends on who slides tomorrow. If someone they really like starts to drop a bit, they may feel that they need to make a move.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Beyond that, I can see us looking at a S, an OL, and maybe a TE.(although not as sure of this as some other people seem to be)

You would grab another olb?

Everyone hyping we got a outside pass rusher. Let me remind u he had 4.5 sacks last year..... that's it, in college. i really dont understand that pick. it forces us to draft purely for need.

Legend
Legend
He was disruptive though. Watch the videos on this kid. He just explodes off the ball. He has better strength than his size might indicate. I watched him shove Fluker back by 5 yards on a bull rush. That was impressive as can be.

Plus, teams look for talent above all else in some of these guys. Some coaches even prefer to "build" their own pass rusher, preferring an inexperienced guy to a player they have to deprogram before they can teach him the right way to do things.

I look at some players, like JJ Watt, and he only had 11.5 sacks in college. Aldon Smith had 14.5 sacks in his 2 year college career. Geno Atkins had 11 career college sacks. Chris Clemons had 1.5 career college sacks. (he had 11.5 last year, and 11 in each of the past 2 seasons before that) teams want guys who fit what they do, and who they feel can be molded into their perfect player. That's often more important than sheer college production.

1st String
1st String
Definitely do not trade picks to get into the second round. Players? I agree with what has already been said. We don't have anything worth trading that would be worth a second round pick.

But...that said...if Smith or Barkley fall into the third round and are there for us...well...

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
If there is a run on CB, for example, and a guy they like is there around 55-63. then I could see them making some calls to try and move up. Maybe they give up the 3rd and a 5th .... or something like that to move up to that range. (I don't have the all important chart handy, but that seems close)

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

If there is a run on CB, for example, and a guy they like is there around 55-63. then I could see them making some calls to try and move up. Maybe they give up the 3rd and a 5th .... or something like that to move up to that range. (I don't have the all important chart handy, but that seems close)

Based off Visits and Workouts we've had, here's guys I'd see us targeting.

TE--Kelce and Escobar. I WANT KELCE.
S--Swearinger. Prefer Rambo.
CB-Mathieu

I would NOT push CB or move up for any CB. And I'm damn glad we let Milliner go by us. He's NOT Top 10 material and you cannot ignore 5 surgeries. I don't care if he missed any games. I have a major feeling this kid is going to be a Mash-Unit in the NFL.

Skrine will not be our #2 CB going into camp. We'll ink a Vet on a 1 or 2 year deal. Jammer?

Legend
Legend
Not that I wanted him in the 1st round, but I'm a little shocked by a couple of guys not going in the first and one that did.

can't believe that Geno Smith and Matt Barkely didn't get snagged in the first. Maybe not so much Barkley. But I was listening to you guys about EJ and am shocked that he was taken so high..

Well, I guess we need to fills the CB and S Spots in the 3 or 4th unless we trade someone (sheard/taylor/rubin) to get a second rounder.. I'd hope we'd get more than just a 2nd rounder for Taylor or Rubin.

Mingo has the right name for the Dawgpound, but I didn't think he'd go that high.. I guess I"m still in a little shock.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Want to stay put and HOPE they can land a CB that isn't a reach and is a bona fide #2 who's light years better than Buster Skrine.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't want to trade picks to get a 2nd round pick. Maybe a player? Not sure who?

123 did a great job of rationalizing that Gordon is our 2nd round pick THIS year. Nicely done, man.

I am not sure we will take a corner. We may really be sticking w/the BPA available thing. Building long term. I don't have a problem w/that. Of course, it will drive many of you nuts. LOL

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If Sheard isn't in our plans going forward, I could see trying to get a late second rounder with him. Not sure we could get that for him or not. Maybe if we packaged a late-round pick or two. If we did this to grab a corner we really liked in the second, I'd be fine with it.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If we just sit still and don't make any trades I think we'll just wait and see who falls to us, if there is a good cornerback available I think it will be a no brainer that we take him, personally I would like Tyrann Mathieu from LSU if he's there in the 3rd round.

Don't be surprised people if someone like Matt Barkley or even Geno Smith are sitting there in the 3rd round, we could end up taking one of them.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
To move into the 2nd, I think it'd cost us Sheard and next year's 2nd, or possibly 3rd. I'd consider it for Sheard/next year's 3rd.

Guys I'd like to see us target - Amerson, Poyer, Swearinger, Warford, Winters, Wreh-Wilson. FS/CB, then OG...

Legend
Legend
my vote is stay put..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
It wouldn't bother me if we did just that. If Horton and his staff think Sheard can make the transition and be at least a solid rotational OLB, I'm good with it.

All I was saying was that IF our defensive coaches don't think Sheard is going to be a fit in the defense, he'll be more valuable to us in trade for a player we can use. I guess we'll find out exactly how they value him in the next couple of days.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

1)Mingo, 2)Gordon

Our 2nd round pick has already scored a TD in the NFL.....Name another player or team that can say that....

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

To move into the 2nd, I think it'd cost us Sheard and next year's 2nd, or possibly 3rd. I'd consider it for Sheard/next year's 3rd.

No way would it cost us NEXT year's second (in addition to Sheard) to move into THIS year's second. Might cost us Sheard and a 4th. Maybe our 3rd (which I think would be too much to give). Question is: who might be interested in Sheard (assuming, of course, we don't think he'll fit in our new defensive scheme).

-- Mark Twain [/color]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

1)Mingo, 2)Gordon

Our 2nd round pick has already scored a TD in the NFL.....Name another player or team that can say that....

+1 Not only that, he already has a year of pro ball under his belt and showed flashes of what he COULD become. Wideouts can take up to three years to really bloom into the players they have the potential to become. Gordon has a head start on the rest of his class.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Guys I'd like to see us target - Amerson, Poyer, Swearinger, Warford, Winters, Wreh-Wilson. FS/CB, then OG...

Most Browns fans overvalue our own players but you have EXTREMELY UNDER-VALUED Jabaal Sheard. Charlie Casserly was on record stating that the Browns would be able to get a late 1st rounder for him if they wanted to move him. Conservatively speaking, they could get a 2nd & 4th from somebody for him. Not sure how you figure it would cost us a 2nd rounder AND Sheard to get a 2nd rounder this year. No way.

And btw if the Browns can't get a 2nd rounder PLUS for Sheard, then forget it. Banner/Chud are right, you can't have enough pass rushers. My only concern is if Sheard can make the transition.

[Linked Image from media.247sports.com] Pope Dezz!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Put this in the Mingo thread, too.

If a team is giving up their 2nd rounder, I think they'll want a physical on Sheard. I don't see them risking that pick without knowing he is healthy. And once that pick is gone, no way for the trade partner to get it back. Not saying it won't/hasn't been done, but I bet we evaluate our LBs and Sheard's transition and if we still want a trade it will be around the start of the season for a 2014 draft pick.

Trading up to Round 2? I've got no problem giving up our 3rd and a couple late rounders if we see the right guy. CB, FS, TE, G. I don't care. our roster is overstocked in late-round picks, got plenty of young projects. We Need more starters.

Legend
Legend
What do we do tonight? Well, what we don't do, in my opinion, is draft a QB, I don't care if one falls.

I'm thinking that if I'm the Browns I have identified a couple DBs that I want and I watch to see who starts to fall and if I need to move up just a little to grab one, then I might consider it but I'm not giving away the farm to do it. If we sit still, we take the best DB or OG available..

yebat' Putin
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm not sure what he's done to garner a late first for him...I just don't see it. He's got 2 years in the league, and a 50-60 tackle and 7-8 sack guy. I just don't see us getting more than a late 2nd/early 3rd for him (unless someone reaches out to us and wants him bad). Add that to a mid 2nd or mid 3rd next year that it equates to a 2nd this year. (250-350 points plus 200-400 points = late first to mid second, so maybe the 2nd next year is too high, 3rd or 4th is better, I didn't look at the numbers)

I agree with you on not getting rid of him, we can't have enough pass rushers. My preference would be to keep him, but with the right deal for the right player, I'd consider it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not that I wanted him in the 1st round, but I'm a little shocked by a couple of guys not going in the first and one that did.

can't believe that Geno Smith and Matt Barkely didn't get snagged in the first. Maybe not so much Barkley. But I was listening to you guys about EJ and am shocked that he was taken so high..

Well, I guess we need to fills the CB and S Spots in the 3 or 4th unless we trade someone (sheard/taylor/rubin) to get a second rounder.. I'd hope we'd get more than just a 2nd rounder for Taylor or Rubin.

Mingo has the right name for the Dawgpound, but I didn't think he'd go that high.. I guess I"m still in a little shock.

Here's the thing Daman..team boards are totally different than the player rankings/mocks that draft sites put out.
That doesn't mean that the picks are going to turn out good, diesn't mean they don't make mistakes...it just means they evaluate differently than we are aware of.

Legend
Legend
I think Sheard fills a nice role for us as a situational OLB/DE in Horton's multi front defense. He has skills, and I don't think there's a second rounder worth the risk of giving up what Sheard brings to the table.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Legend
Legend
N
I think we sit tight and take one of the 3rd tier CBs that drops to us in the 3rd.
Then, tomorrow, Escobar falls into our lap in the 4th.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I look for one of three positions: OG, FS, CB.

If we don't draft one of those positions, I will be questioning our sanity (unless somebody really falls into our laps)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Edge Rushers went quick...Sheard could be a very attractive Player for a 4-3 team only because we drafted an Edge Rusher at overall #6. It would be different if Sheard has been playing LB all these years. More than worth an early 2nd round pick for a team needing that DE...Hunt n other prospects just don't play up to Sheards level.

If no trade then I suspect this first season we will only see Mingo on passing downs ala Aldon Smith n Sheard in there as the starter.

Trade into??? Only if the pickings are slim n we are targeting a guy at a position that is having a big run...For Instance if there is a Safety that we WANT Really WANT n because 3 Safeties got taken in the first round all ready...We have high regards for Cyprien n he won't drop any further...We might go get him cause all others we consider projects??? Not saying this is going to happen just saying this type of scenario could have us move into the 2nd...Probably have to give up our 3rd, 4th n one of our 5ths.

JMHO - I'm w/Vers...trade for a player - I'm ok - I'd rather get 3 solid players with the picks we would have to give up...strength of this draft is in the depth of mid-late round talents.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...our roster is overstocked in late-round picks, got plenty of young projects. We Need more starters.

Yes, we do, but you're not very likely to find any gems in the late rounds. Therefore, I'd bundle picks to move back into the 2nd, while keeping our 3rd, if possible...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
banner said last night sheard wont be traded............so you can forget about getting back into the 2nd round. Banner will continue to ignore the glaring and massive hole at cb. This years you will see teams blow us out of the water through the air....especially if and when haden gets hurt.......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You clearly have no idea how deep this draft is in corners.

We'll get one, and it'll be a good one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Day 2. What happens next?

Link Copied to Clipboard