Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Legend
Legend
S
Unbelievably sloppy, too many odd man rushes.

and on the other end, Detroit locked it down. I think Monday is going to be fun, because the Hawks should come out pretty upset at today's performance. Coach Q doesn't stand for that kind of stuff.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Wow. This Wings/Hawks game is pretty damn exciting. The refs are letting them play, and it's going back and forth at a pretty good clip.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780862 05/20/13 09:32 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
The Wings are taking it to the Blackhawks on the defensive end. They are locking it down and funneling it down to just 1 chance on shots, and Howard is stepping up. They are turning that into solid outlet passes that are turning into golden opportunities. That's really all it is. I don't know why Quennville isn't changing a few things up to combat it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I am not a BIG NHL fan, altough I do like the Boston Bruins, since Bobby Orr played in the Garden ... Go Bruins

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I hope Boston sweeps the Rangers and takes out pittsburgh (or at least make them pay dearly for moving on to the finals). I thought for sure the Wings would go down in 5 games, but Chicago is playing right into their hands. It looks like Scotty Bowman is coaching the left wing lock again and frustrating the crap out of the Hawks. Chicago definitely has more talent and speed, and it showed that first game. Babcock has Detroit doing what they need to counter that. I think the series is riding on this next game in Detroit.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780865 05/21/13 04:34 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I hope Boston sweeps the Rangers and takes out pittsburgh (or at least make them pay dearly for moving on to the finals). I thought for sure the Wings would go down in 5 games, but Chicago is playing right into their hands. It looks like Scotty Bowman is coaching the left wing lock again and frustrating the crap out of the Hawks. Chicago definitely has more talent and speed, and it showed that first game. Babcock has Detroit doing what they need to counter that. I think the series is riding on this next game in Detroit.

No doubt. Think how crucial Thursday's game is... Detroit wins and they put the stranglehold on the series. Hawks win and it's a new series with Chicago back in the driver's seat, Detroit sitting there realized they blew a golden opportunity.

I think there is something to a team fighting the last few weeks of the year to make the playoffs, versus coasting the last week or so like Chicago did. Everything went the Hawks way all year, and now they are being thrown some adversity (or diversity if you're Drew Gooden).

Thursday is unbelievably crucial.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, I think this series is about over. Chicago is playing like a frustrated, beaten team. It really came to a head I think when Toewes took those back to back penalties. With the exception of killing penalties, Detroit didn't do anything extraordinary tonight.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780867 05/24/13 11:04 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Yeah, they're chasing now. Whatever is wrong with their offense isn't gonna be fixed in a few days.

Tough way to bow out, but simply showing up doesn't guarantee you anything.

Detroit and LA will still be pretty fun to watch. Boston looks like they are on the warpath.

jfanent #780868 05/24/13 10:50 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Let's go Pens!!!!! On to the Eastern Conference Finals!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good closeout with Neal getting a hat trick to wrap it up too

#gmstrong
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It looks like the Hawks and Wings swapped sweaters this game, lol. Detroit's getting off one lazy, half-arsed shot when they enter the offensive zone, they're getting out hit and losing most of the faceoffs....just what Chicago was doing the last 3 games.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780871 05/27/13 10:24 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Looks like the Wings are intent on choking this thing away. Nice of the refs to give the Hawks an assist with one of the worst playoff penalty shot calls I've ever seen. Could have called a slash, but it wasn't even close to being worthy of a penalty shot.

Oh well...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hold your horses!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780873 05/27/13 10:50 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Chicago's experience, speed and talent are showing up, and I think they'll take the series. I really like the way the Wings youngsters are playing, and the changing of the guard here is occurring rather quckly. I thought it would take a couple years, but their already showing that they're capable of winning in the playoffs. Let's see what the move to the eastern conference will bring.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780874 05/27/13 10:59 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah, I'll be shocked if the Wings somehow pull it together in Chicago. I'll still be disappointed. The Hawks are a good team, but any time you blow a 3-1 lead like this it's a choke-job. Pure and simple. There is no excuse for sucking so badly at the worst possible time.

After I get over the Wings crapping their pants, I'll be able to be more objective about this, I'm sure.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Looks like the Wings are intent on choking this thing away. Nice of the refs to give the Hawks an assist with one of the worst playoff penalty shot calls I've ever seen. Could have called a slash, but it wasn't even close to being worthy of a penalty shot.

Oh well...

It was questionable, but by these new rules, if you take away the shooter's chance to attempt a shot on a breakaway, it's a penalty shot. He slashed the gloves. Nobody wants to see it but it was the right call.

There have been some questionable calls all series. The Blackhawks got hosed on a waved off goal earlier in the series that would have tied the game 2-2 in a game they went on to lose.

Can't wait for Wednesday.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Nah... that's not a call you ever see in a one-goal playoff game. It was a really weak call (even by today's standards). I've never been one to boil a game down to one play though. The Wings were doing a fine job of gagging this series away on their own. The Hawks didn't need the help from the officials.

Unfortunately for Wings fans, I think the outcome is pretty much inevitable now. Unless Babcock comes up with some magic to get his guys off the mat or Howard somehow pitches another shutout, the Wings are done.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
I can't agree. The guy took away a scoring chance and didn't make a play on the puck.

Nobody wants to see a penalty shot as the difference but Frolik wasn't even able to get a shot off. In today's NHL if you want to make a defensive play you have to play on the puck, especially from behind a breaking player.

The Hawks found a soft spot in Detroit's D. They are absolutely horrible in defending the puck when the player can get it on the goal line. It's not exactly easy to get someone the puck in that position, but with the skill players they have, they can take it hard to the net and cause chaos.

Some teams may have one guy that can pull that kind of move, receiving the puck on the goal line, and making a fancy move to get it to the net, the Hawks have 3 guys who can do it. You take it to the net from that position and then crash the net with your other forwards. Hossa and Bickell's goal's were scored that exact way. Detroit is terrible defending it. Toews scored one on Saturday that way too.

Goalies hate defending that play because they hate turning their body to one side (leaving the other side vulnerable to a tap in) and they know if the guy gets it to the net, your best-case outcome is it's only a juicy rebound. Shots from that close and from a skater coming in are extremely tough to stop and cover.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Colaiacovo was even with Frolik when he hacked him. It was a slash. It was not worthy of a penalty shot. As bad as Detroit was playing, the Hawks probably would have scored on the resulting power play anyway (not to mention Howard was completely unfocused on the actual penalty shot).

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Colaiacovo was even with Frolik when he hacked him. It was a slash. It was not worthy of a penalty shot. As bad as Detroit was playing, the Hawks probably would have scored on the resulting power play anyway (not to mention Howard was completely unfocused on the actual penalty shot).

I think you need to watch the replay again, he was definitely behind Frolik.

NHL rules state that there are 4 conditions that must be met to award a penalty shot.

1. infraction must take place in neutral zone or attacking zone
2. infraction commited from behind
3. player with puck must have been denied a reasonable chance to score the puck.
4. nobody between shooter and goalie (had to be a breakaway)

In today's NHL if you want to make a play on a player who's got a breakway, you have to make a play on the puck. The hands are not the puck.

Legend
Legend
...and to pile on, maybe unfairly, all the analysts in the aftergame NBC Sports wrap-up show agreed it was a penalty shot by today's rules. They did say, X numbers of years ago it probably wouldn't have even been a slash, but not today.

I'm still nervous for Game 7.

I noticed that every other series this round had one OT game, this series hasn't had one yet. So I'm predicting OT on Wednesday night.

There's a Game 7 tonight that doesn't involve the Red Wings or Hawks, so that's my primary focus for the rest of the day. Can't wait.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
I always tell my guys to get aggressive defending breakaways. Maybe you make the play, or maybe you get called and it results in a penalty shot. For me, I'd rather have a penalty shot then a clean break. I think stopping the game, and putting the puck at center ice for you takes away all your adrenaline.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I would be willing to bet that overall goalies' save percentages are better in shootouts then they are vs. in-game breakaways.

When you're on a breakaway, you have all the energy. You're flying down the ice because you have players chasing you and the crowd, whether home or away, is on their feet going nuts. When you award a penalty shot, it's similar but definitely not the same. Plus the goalie has time to prepare. His only rule is that he cannot leave the crease until the puck is touched which is no big deal.

Legend
Legend
I'd like to see the stats on that too.

I have no way to prove this, but I had been asking myself the question of what happens when a team brings the puck into their defensive zone while an opposing player is currently offsides (which happened on the go-ahead Hawks goal). I couldn't figure out how to ask it and I had never seen it play out live. I thought it was a possible way to run off more time on a penalty, because that player would have to get out while the others had to circle center ice. Sperg, has this rule always been around?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'd like to see the stats on that too.

I have no way to prove this, but I had been asking myself the question of what happens when a team brings the puck into their defensive zone while an opposing player is currently offsides (which happened on the go-ahead Hawks goal). I couldn't figure out how to ask it and I had never seen it play out live. I thought it was a possible way to run off more time on a penalty, because that player would have to get out while the others had to circle center ice. Sperg, has this rule always been around?

Yeah pretty much, it wipes out the current offsides (ref will bring the hand down)

The delayed offsides is a newer thing.

The NHL level, the players do that a lot more, it's very risky. Those guys are so skilled that it's usually ok, not last night though.

Legend
Legend
Yup, I remember there being delayed offsides, then they changed it for 5-X years in the 90's, and then they changed it back. I like it a lot better this way. Less stopping.

I still think they need no-touch icing too.

As for tonight, I'll take the Kings 3-1 (empty net goal).

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
I've been for no-touch icing for years.

I also think the puck-over-the-glass delay of game call is good. Some analysts are crying about it, but it keeps players from copping out while defending in their zone. Yes, every once in a while it seems like a weak call, but overall, I like the change and I think it should be enforced at more levels.

I also think the no changing after an icing should be enforced at all levels. Great rule change.

If I had to choose a winner tonight, I say Kings, but the Sharks are tough. I thought the Kings handed them the game the other night on a platter by giving San Jose a 5 on 3 in the first few minutes. First goal tonight is HUGE. Neither of these teams are very good at playing from behind (also both teams play well with a lead which plays into it) Very very defensive series. First 10 minutes is huge tonight. Both goalies have been sensational too.

I really can't wait for Pittsburgh v Boston. Damn I can't wait for that. Clash of styles.

S
Legend
Legend
S
J-Quick is amazing

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Yep, and that sucks. I keep seeing that first rounder get later and later due to that guy stealing wins.

Hopefully either Chicago or Detroit (preferably Chicago) can beat LA.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Huh, Torts just got ousted from New York.

What does that leave us with as far as funny coaches for press conferences go?

MacLean, Julien, anyone else?

S
Legend
Legend
S
We still have the king of hilarious press conferences, Darryl Sutter. He's still the most hilarious interview. Always sounds like he's hammered.

If the Hawks can't win, I will pull for the Kings just so we can get more hilariousness. The Kings winning guaranteed us like 2 more weeks of it, awesome.

Legend
Legend
Wow.

Sorry Wings fans. Someone had to lose.

That was a great freaking game.

I would have probably rioted had the Wings won in OT (after that bogus waved off goal late in the 3rd). At the very least it's a PP for the Hawks, though it would have been a delayed PP and the goal would have counted anyway.

Wow.

[Linked Image]

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Choke job complete. Oh well. At least the Wings made a game of it tonight. Hopefully, they'll be able to build on what they were able to accomplish this year and come back stronger next season.

Good luck to the Hawks. As long as Pittsburgh loses, I couldn't care less about who wins the cup now. I'll cross my fingers for an Original Six final.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Wow.

Sorry Wings fans. Someone had to lose.

That was a great freaking game.

I would have probably rioted had the Wings won in OT (after that bogus waved off goal late in the 3rd). At the very least it's a PP for the Hawks, though it would have been a delayed PP and the goal would have counted anyway.

Wow.

I still don't understand how they waived off that goal. That was a great game 7. Neither team played tentatively. They were hitting hard, crashing the offensive zones and holding nothing back. The momentum shifts were incredible. Both goaltenders played out of their arse. Good luck Chicago. I think the Hawks have a better chance vs pittsburgh/Boston than LA does, and I'll be pulling for them.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #780893 05/30/13 08:44 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Unbelievable game, and I'm still scratching my head on that call, but at least that guy won't go down in history as the guy that possibly swung a series in a direction.

I'm a little worried about LA.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Agreed. I don't know what he was looking at on that play. However, it meant OT in a Game 7. It was an excellent game that had a little bit of everything that makes playoff hockey such a blast to watch.

I think the Wings series woke Chicago up and has them playing their best right now. They can take LA.

As I said before, so long as Pittsburgh ultimately loses, I don't have a horse in this race now. For me, Bruins-Hawks would be a blast to watch in the finals though.

-- Mark Twain [/color]
jfanent #780895 05/30/13 09:36 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I still don't understand how they waived off that goal.

I'll try...

The ref sees Quincey (Wings) smash Saad (Hawks) into the visitors bench, Quincey slams him into the ice on his back and then Saad punch's Quincey in the face (and they continue to wrestle). The ref sees all of this as coincidental minors, which would mean the game is stopped immediately. Patrick Sharp confirmed the ref blew the whistle before the goal. So, because play had been stopped before Hjalmarsson's shot, no goal.

That's the correct outcome assuming you agree with the refs interpretation of the acts near the bench. However, I don't see how that was roughing on Saad.

Maybe Sperg can help out more. I don't know if a ref can hold his whistle to let a team finish off their scoring chance.

[Linked Image]

S
Legend
Legend
S
The ref can use discretion on something like that. I just thought that they weren't really penalties, and it was more just 2 guys going after each other (which the ref can make the choice) If he decides they are coincindentals or the penalty was on Chicago, the whistle can be blown. I didn't see coincidentals.

The side by side view of the penalty and the goal were so close. I thought the puck went in before the whistle.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Agreed. I don't know what he was looking at on that play. However, it meant OT in a Game 7. It was an excellent game that had a little bit of everything that makes playoff hockey such a blast to watch.

I think the Wings series woke Chicago up and has them playing their best right now. They can take LA.

As I said before, so long as Pittsburgh ultimately loses, I don't have a horse in this race now. For me, Bruins-Hawks would be a blast to watch in the finals though.

I worry about LA because of the disparity in skill level between Crawford and Quick. Crawford isn't bad, but Jonathan Quick is world-class. His style is unique, and I think it'll be great TV to see the Hawks offense vs Quick and the LA defense.

Both series' are very similar. The Blackhawks are a lot like Pittsburgh. They're good defensively, but do give up a lot of chances, Pittsburgh relies on their top guns a little more, but neither team does a whole lot of trapping. If that were the finals, you could expect a lot more 4-3 games and not 2-1 games.

The Bruins and Kings are similar in size, and both like to forecheck. I think Jonathan Quick is light years better than Rask. The Bruins are much deeper though. They have 4 legitimate lines, and the best defender in the game.

I picked Pittsburgh over Chicago before the playoffs started, but I now feel like if the Blackhawks make the final, they will win it.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A good hockey day for me.

Chicago carried the play and won, and Pittsburgh looks awful shaken up.

Both of these series seem really similar, and that is what concerns me most about the Chicago/LA series. I think Chicago is going to have to really dominate puck possession in order to to win the series, whereas if LA can force 50/50 play, Quick will outplay Crow and the Kings will take the series.

Oh yeah, Cooke and Marchand reminded me why I am pulling for the Hawks to win the cup.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You're right about the pens looking shook up. Both they and Chicago find themselves facing large, physical teams. Chicago is playing through that and used their skill and speed to create an ungodly amount of scoring opportunities while Pittsburgh played scared. Cripe, it looked like Chicago was on the power play the entire game. Just got a new LG 55" LED to watch the games on. The difference in picture quality between that and my Sony Bravia that just took a crap is amazing.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NHL Playoff Run

Link Copied to Clipboard