Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
As per NFLDraftScout

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1701015/leon-mcfadden

LATEST NEWS

03/28/2013 - 2013 San Diego State Pro Day: San Diego State and Hawaii held their pro days together in San Diego on March 19. Workouts were held outdoors on FieldTurf. All 32 NFL teams were present, including defensive back coaches from San Diego and tight end coaches from Cincinnati, Philadelphia and San Diego. Leon McFadden, CB (5-11, 192) - McFadden had a 34 1/2-inch vertical and did positional drills. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
•More Leon McFadden News

Overview

A former wide receiver recruit out of high school, McFadden moved over to the secondary as a freshman and worked his way into a starting role. He progressed each season and earned First Team All-Mountain West honors each of the past three seasons. With lofty expectations, McFadden had a productive senior season in 2012 with 15 passes defended and a career-best 3 interceptions, which he returned for 124 yards (41.3 average) and a pair of scores.

McFadden finishes his career as one of the most decorated defensive players at San Diego State. He leaves the Aztecs with 47 career passes defended and 8 interceptions, starting 45 games over his career. The son of a nine-year MLB veteran, McFadden is a talented all-around athlete with the fluid skill-set and productive resume to make an impact at the next level.

Analysis

Strengths: Fluid feet, hips and joints to quickly change directions and stick with receivers up and down the field. Natural speed to cover vertical routes and recover after false steps. Aggressive with the ball in the air and won?t concede anything thrown his way. Natural instincts with a knack for always knowing where the ball is located. Plays the position with a fearless demeanor to bait throws and takes chances in coverage. Good chase skills and plays fast in pursuit, only knowing one speed. Solidly-built and has better functional strength than expected. Very strong resume with excellent experience and production. Already has strong practice habits and a pro demeanor.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height and length and doesn?t have much growth potential. Needs to be more consistent as a tackler to hit through the ballcarrier and wrap. Can be out-muscled by bigger receivers and his lack of size will show at times. Inconsistent in press coverage and looks more natural in off-man or in space.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Like I said on the other thread, McFadden has a good break on the ball. It's obvious that our philosphy on defense is to play fast and create turnovers.

A CB who can break on the ball on the back end of that defense where we are going to put a lot of pressure on the QB is more valuable than a big physical CB.

I like the pick.

Legend
Legend
Workout Results
40 = 4.50
20 = 2.55
10 = 1.56
Bench = 10
Vertical = 34.50
Broad = 9'11"
Shuttle = 4.27
Cone = 6.81

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I liked other CBs better, because this kid looks like a slot CB due to his height. Would have loved to draft the CB out of UConn but we shall see.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Are there any starting CBs left in free agency worth signing?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I love this pick. This kid fits our defense perfectly.

We will pressure the quarterback. We will hurry throws.

This kid has great feet. He gets an excellent break on the ball. He will challenge receivers. He is a bit of a gambler, but that should be good in Horton's defense.

Love his feet. Love his closing speed on the ball.

Excellent pick..

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
I'm very content with both Mingo and McFadden. We're addressing our D and it's pretty pleasing overall with these picks. Sad that we didn't get a 2nd Round pick but we haven't made any bad picks.

Welcome to Cleveland, "Bark" and McFadden!

Last edited by Fox&Hound7; 04/26/13 09:15 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
WHOOOA they passed up ALOT of talent to get this guy!
that is all.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
More breakdown...

NFL Comparison
Brent Grimes

Bottom Line
McFadden's a tenacious three-time All-Mountain West selection possessing the strength, quickness, attitude, and ball skills required of NFL starters, even if his size is not ideal to handle the physicality of veteran wideouts. Many shorter corners who play with similar strength and temperament have succeeded at the next level, which will help him nail down top-75 grades from scouts.

NFL.com Bio

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I see both picks as bad picks. BUT I hope I am wrong and freely admit that I am not a draft expert.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well he's an ex-receiver and I saw the highlights of his combine workout. He does catch the ball as well as any DB could be expected to.

Outside of that the guy screams average on just about every other measurable. Hope he's a good CB2 for us.

[Linked Image]
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Are there any starting CBs left in free agency worth signing?

Ironically, I was just looking as the FA CB's on the ESPN link below.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?year=2013&position=29

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

that is all.

who do you have in mind.. just asking

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Quote:

I see both picks as bad picks. BUT I hope I am wrong and freely admit that I am not a draft expert.

In all honesty, don't instantly judge a draft pick the moment it's announced. It's hard not to considering some picks, but for these picks, they're worth supporting until they prove otherwise.

If any of us were draft experts, we wouldn't be here.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't hate it or anything, but really had a man crush on BWW...lol.

I think we are going to live and die on our ability to create turnovers/big plays ( I know duh). The previous regime seem to prefer a disciplined bend but don't break style, but I agree these guys want big plays. I think they are ok knowing that they will give up there share of big plays, but plan on making up for it by creating their own.

Both ways can work but this should be more fun to watch

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

that is all.

who do you have in mind.. just asking

Don't bother, he had that post prepared before the announcment of the selection.

Some posters assume the worst no matter what happens.

[Linked Image]

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
This works for me. We needed a corner and we got one. I don't know anything about him, but hopefully we grabbed the best of the three that went in a row around us.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Oh trust me I have been saying give a guy three years before we really know about him for years. Ask anybody who knows me on the board I never rush to judgement. Like I said I don't like the picks but I will wait three years to make a final judgement, and I will support them 100 percent until that time.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

But you did use the bathroom at a Holiday Inn last night though right?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes but I told my wife I was at work so shhhhh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Battered fan syndrome.

You admitted to not seeing Mingo play last night.

I'm willing to bet you haven't seen much of McFadden.

I can't blame you, but it seems as if you're being negative towards the picks just because we're the Browns...

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

In all honesty, don't instantly judge a draft pick the moment it's announced. It's hard not to considering some picks, but for these picks, they're worth supporting until they prove otherwise.

If any of us were draft experts, we wouldn't be here.

Well F&H7, as far as no experts here, I'm finding the opposite the more and more posts/replies I read.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That 4.5 40 worries me. Not much faster than Mingo. But we shall see. If he contributes it's fine.... Still, as of now Buster Skrine is our starting corner opposite Haden.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Nope not battered fan bro. I just don't like taking a skinny DE when I don't see a major need for him right now, and I don't see a need to reach for a CB when their might have been better choices available. I will root for these guys from here on out, and I will wait three years to pass judgement on them. I just don't agree with our picks so far. Only time will determine if I am right or wrong

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

That 4.5 40 worries me. Not much faster than Mingo. But we shall see. If he contributes it's fine.... Still, as of now Buster Skrine is our starting corner opposite Haden.

Yep. We`ll see about this kid but on paper? Skrine is a better CB and starts as of now.

And that sucks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sheesh.........you guys are killing me!

All I've been reading is how we NEED TO DRAFT A CB. Now, we draft one and I read that we don't have a major need for a cb.

You guys and your hating is beyond ridiculous!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wanna place a wager on that one?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. We`ll see about this kid but on paper? Skrine is a better CB and starts as of now.

And that sucks.

Haden's official 40 time was slower.

And GM - why is Skrine better on paper? I have no opinion one way or the other, but whats the rationale?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
I don't know a lot about this kid so when I look at his measurables his height is the first thing I see. Now having read several good explanations in this thread about how his skills complement what the Browns are likely to do up front it makes sense. I'm going to go find some tape on him.

Legend
Legend
I'm happy that we went CB... I'm not a big fan of short DBs but don't know his kid much and have watched a few videos tonight and have liked what I've seen so far... one nice thing is there were three CBs taken all in a row so we'll be able ot see how good he pick was compared to those other two guys in a few years.

<><

#gmstrong
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Like I said on the other thread, McFadden has a good break on the ball. It's obvious that our philosphy on defense is to play fast and create turnovers.

A CB who can break on the ball on the back end of that defense where we are going to put a lot of pressure on the QB is more valuable than a big physical CB.

I like the pick.

I'm good with the pick as well. Still, imo we need another or 2 more.

Plus, Rome wasn't built in a day, a draft, or a year. Banner did say that we weren't gonna fill all the holes this year, or something to that effect.

If we get the pressure on QB's that we/they think we can deliver, that pressure can make avg CB's seem top notch.

Need imo 1 more CB and at least 1 FS. Either thru the rest of the draft and/or amongst the remaining unsigned vet FA's, we gotta get em.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
I have a buddy who lives in SD and is a huge SDSU fan, as soon as he saw the Browns picked McFadden he texted me and told me I'm going to love him.

Obviously hes no draft expert either but he raved about McFadden.

*Edit- I'll add he isn't typically a homer, he will rag on players he feels deserve it so I trust his opinion.

Last edited by FrostDawg31; 04/26/13 09:42 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sheesh.........you guys are killing me!

All I've been reading is how we NEED TO DRAFT A CB. Now, we draft one and I read that we don't have a major need for a cb.

You guys and your hating is beyond ridiculous!

OH I agree we need a starting CB bro, I am just not sure that the one we drafted is any better the any of the guys already on our roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And GM - why is Skrine better on paper? I have no opinion one way or the other, but whats the rationale?

Buster has speed to burn, but he lacked experience coming out of college. IMO This is his make or break year but the kid does work his butt off on the field and on his playbook.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
HEheh//only reason to not like McFadden is height..he is a fluid corner is good at man coverage..just the type for this defense.Explian something to me..I have seen a lot of people on different boards wanting the Browns to take Honey Badger,,dude is even shorter than LM..and not better in coverage..don't get that..

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 04/26/13 09:55 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GM, Mingo will be a LB for us, no way he plays DE. He's the same size as Von Miller (30 sacks in his first 2 years) so I think he's not too small either. If he can give us that production, I'll be happy.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In 1999 we took a 5'8 CB Daylon McCutcheon who was a staple for 5 to 7 years in the secondary. If Leon McFadden plays like Daylon with Haden on the other side I will be very happy.

McFadden had a very good senior bowl. Showed good man skills and ball skills. Cannot complain about this pick at all.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think Skrine will be a pleasant surprise this year...yet I'd still like to sign a vet to help out...even Sheldon Brown to see what he's got left

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

j/c

I think Skrine will be a pleasant surprise this year...yet I'd still like to sign a vet to help out...even Sheldon Brown to see what he's got left

skrine a pleasant surprise? ???? yeah he will be a pleasant surprise if he doesnt see much of the field......that guy was burnt more then toast last year.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

GM, Mingo will be a LB for us, no way he plays DE. He's the same size as Von Miller (30 sacks in his first 2 years) so I think he's not too small either. If he can give us that production, I'll be happy.

I know Mingo will be a LB for us, but will be any better than JS? At the number 6 pick in the draft I think we should be getting a sure fire starter that we can plug in for the next 10 years, and I am not sure that Bark is that guy (but I sure hope that he is)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #68 Leon McFadden CB SD State

Link Copied to Clipboard