Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

In 1999 we took a 5'8 CB Daylon McCutcheon who was a staple for 5 to 7 years in the secondary. If Leon McFadden plays like Daylon with Haden on the other side I will be very happy.

McFadden had a very good senior bowl. Showed good man skills and ball skills. Cannot complain about this pick at all.

Not that this guy comps to Frank Minnifield but............

Minni was 5'9" and 140 in college. No doubt he put on some weight by the time he played for the Browns but he didn't add any inches to that 5'9" stat.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I'm good with the pick as well. Still, imo we need another or 2 more.

I think we are done w/corners. We signed two back-up corners in FA. We still have Skrine and Wade.

I think we roll w/Hayden and McFadden as starters. Either Skrine or one of the new guys comes in as the nickel. We have enough guys to run dime coverages.

We lost one corner. We have brought in 3 and our two young guys are a year older.

Enough.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Sheesh.........you guys are killing me!

All I've been reading is how we NEED TO DRAFT A CB. Now, we draft one and I read that we don't have a major need for a cb.

You guys and your hating is beyond ridiculous!

Lol I wanted a CB not a brownie elf mascot. Maybe ok in nickel but taller WR's are just going to jump for the ball and leave him behind in the redzone.

Could have taken a pretty good FS and then drafted this guy in the 4th or 5th round. I mean c'mon you seriously telling me you dont think this player wasn't a reach?

Maybe we can still get lucky and draft:
Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 207.
40 Time: 4.44.

He is off the radar a little bit because he is from a small school but I would LOVE to have him as our starting safety! He would be a steal in the 4th round.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Legend
Legend
T
in the chatroom I listed , hmm, Demontre moore, Alex okafor, Terrence Williams wr, Markus Wheaton wr, all were still avail, honey badger was avail, Schwenke C, from cal avail, Da Rick Rogers Wr avail

Ryan Swope wr, avail. Sam Montgomery was avail.

They aren't going to get a good wr now. It's just sad. Every year. Every year, they never learn.Kenny Stills. still avail.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McFadden is a well regarded player. We will see how he turns out.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I think Skrine will be a pleasant surprise this year...yet I'd still like to sign a vet to help out...even Sheldon Brown to see what he's got left

skrine a pleasant surprise? ???? yeah he will be a pleasant surprise if he doesnt see much of the field......that guy was burnt more then toast last year.

Anyone remember the Dallas game and how bad Skrine looked? Bademosi came in and looked very good. I'll like to see him get some reps on D. Could be the next Bodden. And, let's cut bait on Skrine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Guys, I am shocked there is still this many quality players on the board. I had much higher grades on some of the kids that are left than the ones who went earlier. We have a shot at getting some really good players tomorrow.

Now back to McFadden. Like I told Vers, I don't hate the pick, but just liked BWW alot better. So the Browns didn't get who I wanted.....shrug...they rarely do...lol.

You know me bro, I don't have an agenda about FOs as I hated Holmgren/Heckert since the Weeden fiasco, and I'm iffy on these guys.

I like Mingo, and was going to defend it against some of the nonsense comments that were made but the thread was closed. I don't dislike the McFadden pick, but just thought a better player who played the same position was available. The Browns disagree with my evaluation....go figure.

Time will tell.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

I have a buddy who lives in SD and is a huge SDSU fan, as soon as he saw the Browns picked McFadden he texted me and told me I'm going to love him.

Obviously hes no draft expert either but he raved about McFadden.

*Edit- I'll add he isn't typically a homer, he will rag on players he feels deserve it so I trust his opinion.

Glad to hear it!!

Legend
Legend
Don't forget about or count out Bademosi

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
5'10" is an elf at CB, but a 6'0" safety is perfect?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm hoping they go BPA the rest of the way..............still lots of good football players out there if we just pick the best one regardless of position.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Trust me GM.....Bark will be!!!!!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend
We will know in three years but until them GO BARK

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know much about Bademosi. Cool name.

Educate me.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

McFadden is a well regarded player. We will see how he turns out.

Walter football had McFadden going in rounds 3-4 so he is good value for us ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

5'10" is an elf at CB, but a 6'0" safety is perfect?

LOL....I read that post and said the same thing. In his defense I like taller CBs because of the new fad of bigger WRs, but plenty of smaller ones have been good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I believe he's better (and has more upside) than Skrine. Wouldn't surprise me to see him starting across from Haden next season...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He is 5'9 not 5'10 and back when people were drafting CB's this short the avg height of a WR was not near as high as it is now. Just look at our own WR corps.

I think he is a good kid, he has great hips and good foot work. Nice change of direction but IMHO in today's game a 5'9 CB is a liability and we drafted him way too early.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

Quote:

I believe he's better (and has more upside) than Skrine. Wouldn't surprise me to see him starting across from Haden next season...

I agree. I hope he gets a shot to show what he has.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The FS I want tomorrow if he is still there would be a day 1 starter for us. he is fast and a ball hawk. he also tackles hard.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I see the logic in the attack-ballhawk setup. If he's feisty and has a nose for the ball, he will be a huge addition. And I was one of the guys screaming for corner help.

I think Skrine is a liability, but still has some value with that speed. Would be wise to get 1 CB with size, and we might have done that with the signing of Barnes. And maybe it will take a year to round-out the secondary. That's fine, if McFadden can help and fit our scheme? Then I got zero problems with adding him. Just think we need 1 big, especially if we keep Skrine.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The FS I want tomorrow if he is still there would be a day 1 starter for us. he is fast and a ball hawk. he also tackles hard.

Can you give us his name or is it that you don't want the rest of the league to know?

V
Legend
Legend
V
We will see who is eating words later in the season. Not that you will admit it, but I just need to put that out there. I am not a big measurable guy. I prefer performance.

We'll see!!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Educate me.

Johnson Bademosi 6"0 200 pounds signed as a undrafted free agent last year.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

Can you give us his name or is it that you don't want the rest of the league to know?

I already posted on this same page of this thread but here it is again:

Legend
Legend
I like this pick a lot. Really hope we get Poyer tomorrow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

LOL .. Thought the same thing

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Solid pick, not great, not bad....I think we will regret passing on B.W-W but he was my no2 CB when we picked, so considering the craziness that was going on in the 2nd/3rd with some incredibly stupid picks, I'll take a "solid" pick at our biggest position of need

Can't believe WR Patton is still around...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Buddy nothing would make me happier because it would mean we have a good player =)

Like I said I don't hate the kid I just think he could have been had in the 4th or even later. Of course I also understand CB's have been going like fresh donuts at a police station too, so I can even understand why they thought they needed to take him earlier than the 4th or 5th.

U
All Pro
All Pro
U
j/c

Here are reports on Leon McFadden at the Senior Bowl from draftcountdown.com

Quote:

San Diego St. CB Leon McFadden was the shining star of the secondary during the practice. In the interception drill, McFadden made a nice catch above his head at one point. He was extremely physical every single play and came away with two interceptions when he anticipated throws. Pushed around Cobi Hamilton in a 1-on-1 situation to break up a pass as well.

San Diego St. CB Leon McFadden was terrific again. McFadden is adequate across the board physically but not special in any regard. However, McFadden is just a good football player with fluid hips and is making himself some money this week. McFadden may have been underrated prior to the Senior Bowl but the secret is out.

San Diego State CB Leon McFadden continued to play very physically. He did get injured at one point but would return later in the practice. Exceled in press coverage.

Just thought it might be interesting.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks.

You know what bro.........the guy that really intrigues me is Gipson. I think he showed very well last year. I think he impressed the hell out of Jauron, who is a very savvy NFL guy.

I understand that he does't have the best pedigree, but I really think this kid might surprise us all and be our FS.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

j/c

Here are reports on Leon McFadden at the Senior Bowl from draftcountdown.com

Quote:

San Diego St. CB Leon McFadden was the shining star of the secondary during the practice. In the interception drill, McFadden made a nice catch above his head at one point. He was extremely physical every single play and came away with two interceptions when he anticipated throws. Pushed around Cobi Hamilton in a 1-on-1 situation to break up a pass as well.

San Diego St. CB Leon McFadden was terrific again. McFadden is adequate across the board physically but not special in any regard. However, McFadden is just a good football player with fluid hips and is making himself some money this week. McFadden may have been underrated prior to the Senior Bowl but the secret is out.

San Diego State CB Leon McFadden continued to play very physically. He did get injured at one point but would return later in the practice. Exceled in press coverage.

Just thought it might be interesting.

This is what I saw!

I'm telling you guys, we got a steal. He was not drafted high because of his size and school. The kid can ball. You'll see.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I already posted on this same page of this thread but here it is again:

NFLDraftScout has his 40 at 4.40..........not that big of a diff but just an fyi.

They do have him listed as a SS but as I understand, more and more teams aren't classifying FS/SS anymore and are going with a type of "Hybrid S" which is both have the same skillset and are somewhat interchangable.

From NFLDraftScout

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1723467/earl-wolff

LATEST NEWS

03/28/2013 - 2013 North Carolina State Pro Day: North Carolina State did its pro day on March 20 indoors on a fast surface. Earl Wolff, S (5-11 1/2, 210) - Wolff notched a 36-inch vertical and a 6.96-second three-cone drill. He's a little bit of a straight-line guy, but he looked good and had a good work out. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
•More Earl Wolff News

Overview

A running back and safety as a prep, Wolff was also a standout on the track team at Hoke County high school in North Carolina.

He redshirted in 2008 before starting four games at the boundary safety position the following year. His highlight was 10 tackles while playing just 26 snaps against Pitt.

Wolff finished third on the team with 91 tackles in 2010, starting every game at the boundary safety position. He posted a career-high 15 tackles against East Carolina.

He again posted a career-high with 113 tackles in 2011, earning All-ACC nominations. But Wolff saved his best for last, earning first-team All-ACC honors as a senior, leading the team with 136 tackles, including a career-high 19 against Clemson. He had four games with at least 17 tackles, and picked off a pair of passes.

Wolff is a stabilizing presence in the secondary who can cover good ground.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Possesses lean, muscular frame with long arms. Displays good play recognition, and nice initial straight-ahead burst. Takes sound angles to the outside against the run, and really uses his length well to close space and make the tackle. Wraps up nicely, and routinely approaches his target low. Exhibits a fluid backpedal and flips the hips with good timing in transition.

Displays good awareness in zone coverage and does a good job of reading and reacting to the quarterback's eyes. Gets up to speed quickly when asked to plant and drive forward from a backpedal. Looks natural and instinctive when he's playing up in the box, and defending the run. Positions himself well for gap coverage as a run defender, and exhibits patience to allow the play to develop when closing from deep.

WEAKNESSES: Despite possessing a strong first step downhill, isn't nearly as explosive when reacting laterally. Is susceptible to cutbacks when up near the line of scrimmage, as he'll overrun his gap from time to time. Struggles to break down and redirect in space rapidly.

Could be more aggressive at shedding blockers as he tends to lock on and will allow himself to be directed out of the play. Is susceptible to separation across the field in man coverage, as he lacks suddenness to stop or cut abruptly. Lacks a 2nd gear to correct over the top, and does not cover enough ground to be a sideline-to-sideline, deep middle safety.

COMPARES TO: Deon Grant, Safety, Retired - When I look at Wolff, I see a guy with instincts, toughness and athleticism that remind me of Grant, who made an 11-year career for himself as a strong run defender that didn't make a lot of mistakes in coverage. Wolff has a chance to be a similar player, and should upgrade a special teams unit immediately with his downhill, physical style. Probably falls to the latter three rounds of the draft, considering the speedy, athletic depth at the position in this year's class.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Thanks.

You know what bro.........the guy that really intrigues me is Gipson. I think he showed very well last year. I think he impressed the hell out of Jauron, who is a very savvy NFL guy.

I understand that he does't have the best pedigree, but I really think this kid might surprise us all and be our FS.

It's possible. He might have been able to show us more if he didnt get hurt last year. Was a foot injury of some kind if i remember right

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Educate me.

I am the original Bademosi pimp from last year. Loved him from the second we signed him as an UDFA.

He was a Safety at Stanford, and is a very, very bright kid. He is a major league hitter on special teams. He also got a chance to play some on regular defense late in the year, and didn't get beat. He made every tackle he had to make.

He is currently the gunner on teams, and also is a backup CB. He was determined to make this team last year, and went to the special teams coach and asked him exactly what he had to do to make the team.He then went out and did it. I like that. I actually would love to see him get a chance at FS. With his desire and determination, I think that he could become a plus level FS.

As far as McFadden ..... I'll admit to not knowing a tremendous amount about him, but I looked up some info on him, and every report I read talks about his smooth hips, speed, and ability to stick with receivers, even on quick, change of direction type plays.

From what I have read, I like the pick. I admit to not having seen him play though. Don't get a ton of San Diego State games in YTown.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Thanks.

I like Gipson ALOT ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

They do have him listed as a SS but as I understand, more and more teams aren't classifying FS/SS anymore and are going with a type of "Hybrid S" which is both have the same skillset and are somewhat interchangable.

Forget it. While teams may be doing that, we absolutely cannot put TJ Ward at the FS position. No way can he cover the deep half of the field. No was can he be responsible to roam sideline to sideline.

We need a guy who is a pure FS. A guy more like an Earl Thomas type.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the information. I really didn't know anything about the guy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

in the chatroom I listed , hmm, Demontre moore, Alex okafor, Terrence Williams wr, Markus Wheaton wr, all were still avail, honey badger was avail, Schwenke C, from cal avail, Da Rick Rogers Wr avail

Ryan Swope wr, avail. Sam Montgomery was avail.

They aren't going to get a good wr now. It's just sad. Every year. Every year, they never learn.Kenny Stills. still avail.

With the addition of Bess, there is no need to draft a WR. We can, if we feel the value is there, but we can fill another need. Our WR's are actually pretty solid looking right now, IMO.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Educate me.

Quick hits for you, Vers:

Johnson Bademosi #37.
1st generation American son of Nigerian immigrants.
Has a History degree from Stanford.
Played rugby in HS.
Joined the Browns in 2012 as an UDFA.
Position: DB
Usage: Mainly Special Teams. He's a gunner on KO's and punts. Always near the ball, Good hustle, and sure tackler.

He was inserted late in the Dallas game last year as an injury replacement, and turned a few heads. He had to defend Dez Bryant and Miles Austin for the rest of the game. Romo picked on him constantly, but the kid didn't fold. When he couldn't defense the ball, he made sure tackles after catch. He broke on a 3rd down pass to Bryant, and almost picked it. At any rate, he helped get the D off the field with that play. (I think it was in OT.)

I kinda like the kid. He's still raw, but he seems to be instinctual- something that can't be taught. I know Skrine was the choice, but that Dallas game showed me something about this kid.... something that made me want to see more.

Now, we have a new FO who just picked "their boy" at DB, so I wonder how much of a shot Baddie will get. At any rate, he's intrigued me- and I hoe he gets a fair chance to develop under Ray Horton. If he pans out, we may not be as brereft of talent at DB as we look on paper.

.02 and a share,
Clemmy

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #68 Leon McFadden CB SD State

Link Copied to Clipboard