Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Back to McFadden, I went on nfl.com and read his scouting report ...... and who is his "NFL Comparison?

Brent Grimes.

If we could get 2/3 of a healthy Grimes, that would be incredible.

Leon McFadden Draft Profile – NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/leon-mcfadden?id=2539300

NFL COMPARISON Brent Grimes

BOTTOM LINE McFadden’s a tenacious three-time All-Mountain West selection possessing the strength, quickness, attitude, and ball skills required of NFL starters, even if his size is not ideal to handle the physicality of veteran wideouts. Many shorter corners who play with similar strength and temperament have succeeded at the next level, which will help him nail down top-75 grades from scouts.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

In 1999 we took a 5'8 CB Daylon McCutcheon who was a staple for 5 to 7 years in the secondary. If Leon McFadden plays like Daylon with Haden on the other side I will be very happy.

McFadden had a very good senior bowl. Showed good man skills and ball skills. Cannot complain about this pick at all.

Not that this guy comps to Frank Minnifield but............

Minni was 5'9" and 140 in college. No doubt he put on some weight by the time he played for the Browns but he didn't add any inches to that 5'9" stat.

Different time, different league. Back then you were allowed to play bump and run and really guard a receiver. Now if you LOOK at one it's interference. Also, back then there was the "smurf" revolution. A lot of receivers were under 6'0. Houston and the Redskins were rife with them. Now, a small receiver like that is a specialty player for the most part.

How is this kid going to cover 6'0 to 6'-4" receivers that are faster than him?

I have no real problem with the pick. He's depth and MAYBE an eventual slot corner. He'll probably play on special teams. But I sure don't see him as an immediate starter. Skrine is a LOT faster and he's got a couple years under his belt. Either one of the 2nd tier FA's we signed, or Buster Skrine, will start unless we sign/trade for another corner.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good info, bro.

I don't care who plays. I just want the best players to play.

Now that your brought it to my attention, I do remember the Dallas game. He was pretty damn good.

Thanks again. I love being educated.

Legend
Legend
YTown:

And here, I thought I was the lone Bademosi fan on the boards.
I must have missed your "pimpatude" posts....

(My bad. I'm not here every single day, you know?)

Kid does make you want to root for him, doesn't he?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

NFL COMPARISON Brent Grimes

LOL.......no wonder I like him.

If you remember, I was pimping Grines hard. It didn't work out.

I do have to say this though..........I personally don't see that much of a comparison between the two. McFadden is quicker. Has better hips. Has better hands. Grimes is bigger. Has better long distance speed.

I don't know......I like both guys, but I don't see them as twins.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Take a moment and stop trying to convince these guys ..some of us know what his kid can do..the other thing not mentioned, he came from a pass-happy conference..he can play.

Legend
Legend
From last May.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php?...true#Post930996

I've been reading up on some of the guys we signed as UDFA ..... and I have my sleeper pick ......

Johnson Bademosi.

He is a CB who will probably play S in the NFL. he has solid size, and ran a 4.35 at Stanford's pro day. Unfortunately, he seems to lack some as a man to man CB type ..... but he could excel at S. He's 6'1" and 201, with and looks like a guy who can easily carry another 10-15 pounds. He went to Stanford, and majored in History, so he has to be bright. he also has said that he loves to hit people.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Rookie
Rookie
McFadden, a former wide receiver, has become a shutdown corner for the Aztecs.

He doesn't have ideal size at 5'10" and 190 pounds, but he is consistent and durable, with a knack for getting his hands on the ball. McFadden started six games as a true freshman, and he elevated his game to a first-team All-Mountain West level by his the end of his sophomore year. He only has five career interceptions, but that can be chalked up to quarterbacks avoiding him as much as it can be a sign of McFadden's inability to close the deal when he has a shot at a pick.

His extensive experience and fluid athleticism should make the senior a late-second day or early-third day prospect in April. web page

[Linked Image from s9.postimage.org]
Legend
Legend
One thing that I have read about him that really stick with me is that he has an incredible number of passes defensed (47) in his career.

That is an incredible number.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This may have been mentioned, I haven't read every post in here. For those of you panicking about McFadden's size at 5'11" and 190 pounds, I hope you realize that's the exact same size as Joe Haden and most everyone here doesn't consider that a problem for him. If nobody is worried about Haden's size, why are you suddenly worried about McFadden's when they're literally the exact same?

I love the McFadden pick. He's quick in and out of turns, he can catch, has good make-up speed if he gets bumped off by a larger receiver, and is an excellent zone defender. If he improves his tackling, I think we have someone here who could very well anchor his side of the field opposite of Haden and make it very difficult for opposing QBs to throw against us. Most QBs in college didn't throw his way because he shut down that side of the field. For anyone concerned about his lack of numbers, there's your reason.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

This may have been mentioned, I haven't read every post in here. For those of you panicking about McFadden's size at 5'11" and 190 pounds, I hope you realize that's the exact same size as Joe Haden and most everyone here doesn't consider that a problem for him. If nobody is worried about Haden's size, why are you suddenly worried about McFadden's when they're literally the exact same?

I love the McFadden pick. He's quick in and out of turns, he can catch, has good make-up speed if he gets bumped off by a larger receiver, and is an excellent zone defender. If he improves his tackling, I think we have someone here who could very well anchor his side of the field opposite of Haden and make it very difficult for opposing QBs to throw against us. Most QBs in college didn't throw his way because he shut down that side of the field. For anyone concerned about his lack of numbers, there's your reason.

Thank you.

I don't think he's going to be excellent out of the gate, but I am so sick of people judging CBs just based on their height. It's a crappy and superficial way of evaluating CBs.

This guy has plenty of potential and I'm not concerned at all about his height.

Oh, and I love posting this laundry list of players who have one thing in common: Sam Shields, Tim Jennings, Adam Jones, Kyle Arrington, Alterraun Verner, Chris Houston, Leon Hall, Vontae Davis, Tramon Williams, Asante Samuel, Janoris Jenkins, Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb, Brandon Flowers, Johnathan Joseph, Joe Haden, Darrelle Revis.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
FWIW, McFadden's official numbers at the combine were 5'9 5/8, 193, Haden's 5'10 3/4, 193

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

FWIW, McFadden's official numbers at the combine were 5'9 5/8, 193, Haden's 5'10 3/4, 193

An inch of difference doesn't worry me at all. If he was 5'6" or 5'7", I think there would be a legitimate concern.

All Pro
All Pro
Seeing as how McFadden was one of my top 3 4th round targets (and I'm greedy), I can't complain too much about this pick.

Ultimately however, being just under 5'10" and possessing quite a bit more twitchy-ness than top speed he is definitely more of a slot corner (occasionally miss represented by the "nickle-corner" monacre).

At the very least we went from having 1 corner (CB1-Haden) to two corners (CB1 and "CB3").

If we can land Phillip Thomas (FS) or Rambo in the 4th or Wolff in the 5th tomorrow to match up/ play over-the-top of the bigger down field guys then the slot cover guy may turn out to be just what we needed after all.

That's all hopes and roses at the moment though. Time will tell.

How often does a team's #2 receiver end up moving into the slot in 3-WR formations anyway (or in the case of teams like New England and Wes Welker, the teams #1 receiver).

Either way, you cannot deny his epic level of consistency over the last three years against lower lvl competition.

Overall Grade: B- (downgraded from being about a half round early)

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I like the pick. Sure I'd love for him to be an inch or two taller, but it looks like he can play. We'll see how that translates on Sundays though.

I don't really care if it was a reach or not, especially coming from lay people. TJ Ward was a "reach", remember?

Then again Heckert was at the helm, we shall see with this regime.

"We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort." - Jesse Owens
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

In 1999 we took a 5'8 CB Daylon McCutcheon who was a staple for 5 to 7 years in the secondary. If Leon McFadden plays like Daylon with Haden on the other side I will be very happy.

McFadden had a very good senior bowl. Showed good man skills and ball skills. Cannot complain about this pick at all.

In the 1980's we had Frank Minnefield(5'9") and Hanford Dixon(5'11") on the field.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

In the 1980's we had Frank Minnefield(5'9") and Hanford Dixon(5'11") on the field.

1980's didn't have ticky tack defensive penalties nor Calvin Johnson, Branden Marshall, Andre Johnson..etc

Not that I don't like the pick. I think football is the one sport where old teams vs new team is no contest as athletes are far better now. (I would say the same about the Basketball). I actually like the guy because of his super quick feet and history as a WR.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He is 5'9 not 5'10 and back when people were drafting CB's this short the avg height of a WR was not near as high as it is now. Just look at our own WR corps.

You need to tell that to the first WR off the board that he's too short to play WR.. I'm sure he's going to drag that average back down by being 5'8"

You have people clamoring on how great Tavon Austin is going to be as well, even though he is a 5'8" wr.

You had people clamoring for the Browns to sign Cornerback Brent Grimes despite being 5'10" with a knee injury.

Arguing this is a bad pick for a CB because he's "too short" is just plain silly talk.

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I'm not pleased with how this Draft is going...
AS MANY OF YOU HAVE SAID, I think that the 2 guys we got are not the problem, but because we rush, NOT excitedly, to say "I like this guy" is the problem; None of us might have known What to expect from this Draft, but we're getting Plenty of That and no targeted "YES"s!

The New Banner/Lombardi/Chud Era of Drafting seems to have no plan or soul to it; All i can say about Barky is "Great, but i wish we could've moved down to get a 2nd rounder too." About McFadden all I can say is, "The experts and hosts covering the Draft feel the Browns could've got him in the 4th or even 5th Round".

Hardly a ringing endorsement for a wild, interesting, convincing draft. It could prove to be the best Draft we've ever had, but Honestly, does it feel that way right now? We have many concerns in other positions; Perhaps the Banner/Lombardi/Chud Era are taking their time not wanting to do anything too drastic, and, I suppose, that's okay...

If it works.

Right now, the lukewarm, "content thrill" of these picks and moves that could've been made to produce more has an aftertaste of quiet "hope" for me. After all that we've heard and wondered about Banner and Lombardi, in particular, it's surprising that This describes how some of us (many of us?) are left feeling going into the 4-7 Rounds...

JMHO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

1980's didn't have ticky tack defensive penalties nor Calvin Johnson, Branden Marshall, Andre Johnson..etc

Not that I don't like the pick. I think football is the one sport where old teams vs new team is no contest as athletes are far better now. (I would say the same about the Basketball). I actually like the guy because of his super quick feet and history as a WR.

I guess that could be true, but this talk of this being a bad pick because he's not tall enough is silly. Take a look at Tavon Austin who is a 5'8" WR who is highly touted and was the 8th pick in the draft. Take a look at the Browns fans who wanted the browns to sign Grimes. It's just silly talk. Too many people have had a defeatist outlook since we passed on their dream pick of Milliner.

Revis's Height: 5'11"
Milliner Height: 6'0"
Joe Haden Height: 5'11"

McFadden's Height: 5'10"

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
J/C

We addressed an area of need, passing on a talented kid with issues for a "safer" pick. I don't know what to make of McFadden. I'll have to reserve any judgement until the season starts. Hopefully he can be just plugged in to the starting role week 1 and secure,that position. We desparetly need to hit on the majority of these picks in the transition to a 3-4.

At least we are not seeing a QB drafted. Pick up your guys on defense this year and resign your key players next year, then sell the house on a QB in round 1 if Weeden doesn't cut it in the new system!

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
The thing that concerns me the most is after they picked Mingo, I read a Chud quote "you don't need great corners if you have a pass rush" (I think it was Chud). Then they come back in the third round and take a corner. I guess he reconsidered his stand on being average at corner. I'm not sure that either of our two picks are going to be impact players this year. However, I don't think there are many impact players in the whole draft. Past the two number one picks (OT) I think everyone else has upside and downside. I guess we are going to have get lucky.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
That's why the draft is no perfect science. You and some others range from a horrible to a awful draft so far.
Me.....I feel like we couldn't have done any better...I'm flipping ecstatic!!! I feel these fit perfect and although always not the sexy pick nor what WE WOULD ALWAYS DO...they got great people and players that FIT what they feel goes with our system.
I feel real good about what Chud, Banner and Lombardi are doing.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Don't know much on the guy so I'll defer to someone bringing out the "big guns" on this breakdown.

Welcome to Cleveland, Leon. Best of luck trying to lock down the #2CB spot.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Let's watch some tape, will we?

vs. Boise State

http://www.youtube.com/v/A1Mpjag2NrY

Tell me what you see....here's my take:

Positives:

- very aware zone-CB
- good coverage most of the time
- aggressive/competitive playing style
- good tackler for his size
- plays the ball well
- good timing to defelct passes
- obvious football intelligence, good positioning, has some FS game to him (who knows, maybe that's the plan?)

Negatives:

- got owned by WR on runs to his side, this will get magnified in the NFL
- height issues came up a couple of times in that game, but he compensates well with his timing and playing the ball. Otoh, the NFL has smarter WRs too
- didn't play any bump'n'run, strictly a zone-CB, looks more like a Tampa 2 corner
- recovery speed seems ordinary
- not sure he can hold his own on the outside in the NFL considering the above

I don't see much upside left, he is what he is and has already maxed out his AVG athletic potential...the good thing to that is that he should be day 1 ready as he is WELL AHEAD in terms of game intelligence, technique and tackling. He's pretty much a finished product with a capped ceiling but high floor. Safe, solid pick

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Sit Skrine right beside Marecic. Proven non-starters. This kid with a "hurry up" defensive blitzrush might be a "possession defender", maybe in nickel. A takeaway ballhawk to undercut routes on rushed throws would be great. As opposed to the watch and chase secondary we have had recently (watch the catch & chase the receiver). Welcome aboard and good luck!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
Legend
N
you've got him nailed pretty well, though I have seen him fight through the WR's and make plays in other games in the run game (so less worried about that angle).

he's not as tall as some of the other CB's but he's just as heavy with that extra bulk in muscle. I wouldn't want him as a CB1, but that's not what we are asking of him to do.

i liked him better than Slay, Amerson, BWW, etc. so I'm pretty happy we picked him. Had Poyer ahead of him, but not a ton.

I now hope we pickup Will Davis (CB, Utah State) with one of our late picks.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

As I try to get up to speed on McFadden here are some things I like. He started 41 of the 51 games he appeared in. Lots of on-field experience there. He played in a pass heavy conference so he's seen a lot of variations of passing offense. He is an ex-wide receiver who uses those skill when he's around the ball. He has a reputation for reading the screen pass and breaking it up effectively. Tape shows him lined up in man-to-man and off coverage, I think he's familiar with the responsibilities of both. His Dad played MLB so he been exposed to type of preparation needed to be a professional athlete.

Ironically,he's about the same size as Joe Haden, If he technique is sound I can live with that.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
DjangoBrown, here is what I saw. A quarterback make inaccurate throws when hurried. I saw a DB who is not afraid to tackle. I saw an offensive use their receivers to set picks in order to free up the guy covered by McFadden. Toward the end I saw a QB hesitate throwing in McFadden's area. I saw a CB play both zone and man-to-man. I saw a receiver who knew how to block. After seeing this brief video, I like McFadden. I wonder why he was projected to go 4th or 5th round.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Sit Skrine right beside Marecic. Proven non-starters. This kid with a "hurry up" defensive blitzrush might be a "possession defender", maybe in nickel. A takeaway ballhawk to undercut routes on rushed throws would be great. As opposed to the watch and chase secondary we have had recently (watch the catch & chase the receiver). Welcome aboard and good luck!

I disagree. McFadden and Skrine are similar styles. Go back and take a look at videos on Skrine while in college. As someone pointed out above, neither guy is a #1. I bet McFadden struggles his first year too. McFadden will learn, as did Skrine, you need even tighter coverage and how to bait a QB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The thing that concerns me the most is after they picked Mingo, I read a Chud quote "you don't need great corners if you have a pass rush" (I think it was Chud). Then they come back in the third round and take a corner. I guess he reconsidered his stand on being average at corner. I'm not sure that either of our two picks are going to be impact players this year. However, I don't think there are many impact players in the whole draft. Past the two number one picks (OT) I think everyone else has upside and downside. I guess we are going to have get lucky.

You still need good, solid corners, just maybe not top of the draft guys,.

You also need enough good ones to cover 4 NFL receivers.

One thing to remember about rush vs cover ....... there are 4 receivers (potentially) and if you go strictly for coverage, you need 4 plus level corners. If you rush the passer, there's only 1 QB. Rush him, bother him, and give him trouble and coverage becomes less the issue.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I now hope we pickup Will Davis (CB, Utah State) with one of our late picks.

FYI, he got already picked by th Dolphins who traded back into the 3rd for him. Dolphins got CB J.Taylor, G/T D.Thomas and CB W.Davis on day 2....nice haul, although I think they did not have to trade up for Davis, who's incredibyl raw. But there was a CB tun and they probablygot antsy

#gmstrong

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
we could have had wilson from Connecticut or the kid from USF that the broncos got.....instead we take leon mcfadden.......

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Lets Just hope the Cleveland Browns are taking the best available on there board.In opinion some one on the Cleveland Browns roster will step up as corner back and Leon McFadden will come in on nickel.Just opinion,Leon McFadden will be great at zone defenses.

Last edited by capricorn12247; 04/27/13 10:57 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Maybe we can see if he can play CB before we ask him to change positions at the pro level.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not that this guy comps to Frank Minnifield but............

Minni was 5'9" and 140 in college. No doubt he put on some weight by the time he played for the Browns but he didn't add any inches to that 5'9" stat.

Different time, different league. Back then you were allowed to play bump and run and really guard a receiver. Now if you LOOK at one it's interference. Also, back then there was the "smurf" revolution. A lot of receivers were under 6'0. Houston and the Redskins were rife with them. Now, a small receiver like that is a specialty player for the most part.

How is this kid going to cover 6'0 to 6'-4" receivers that are faster than him?

I have no real problem with the pick. He's depth and MAYBE an eventual slot corner. He'll probably play on special teams. But I sure don't see him as an immediate starter. Skrine is a LOT faster and he's got a couple years under his belt. Either one of the 2nd tier FA's we signed, or Buster Skrine, will start unless we sign/trade for another corner.

so in other words we are in trouble? lol

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope you're right Verse. As long as the kid can be an above average #2 CB, I'm fine with that.

He didn't really come from a strong conference and for all our sakes I hope he proves to be the answer there.

He has his share of question marks but you get that with most every third rounder. Time will tell.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder if the Browns talked to Brian Sipe about McFadden? Sipe is QB coach at SDSU, and I would think he knows a little about assessing DB's.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everything I've read, this was a good pick for us. I follow a lot of talent evaluators from various organizations on twitter, everyone said this was a good pick.

These are the same guys that said Billy Wynn was a better pick than Hughes....and that was dead on.

So I am on board with this one as well. So far a nice draft for the new regime.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
my concern is that this kid looks and plays awful small...

he looked small against MWC players and his arms are extremely short.

i just can't see starting him, haden and skrine (in the nickel).

especially with teams like the bengals with green, sanu, gresham and eifert.

i hope he's a player, but i just don't see it...

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #68 Leon McFadden CB SD State

Link Copied to Clipboard