Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I'm surprised that Dion Jordan was getting so much hype for the draft. I feel like nobody really knew who he was before the combine. Oregon has had plenty of nationally televised games the past few years and he has never been talked about. Because he never really jumps out on tape (besides seeing a 6'6 dude standing up all the time lol).

I watch a ton of college football and honestly I really didnt know about this dude until the combine. I've seen plenty of Oregon games and this guy never seemed to catch my attention.

Which is definitely not the case for Mingo. His name was constantly being called during games and everyone knew who he was. I remember watching him dominate the bowl game vs Clemson this year. Anyone who wants to see a show, go watch the tape of that game!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure, but I think it was posted on here that Jordan didn't even play half of Oregon's defensive snaps.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Jordan had a better high light tape. I had him just behind Ziggy for us but Mingo's game tape is the best of the 3 - discipline to the game plans n worked well within what was asked. He gets a little physical...great! Looking forward to see him progress.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

I'm not sure, but I think it was posted on here that Jordan didn't even play half of Oregon's defensive snaps.

That's right. That entire team just constantly rotated people in and out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think Jordan had a better high light tape. I had him just behind Ziggy for us but Mingo's game tape is the best of the 3 - discipline to the game plans n worked well within what was asked. He gets a little physical...great! Looking forward to see him progress.

I am looking forward to training camp opening when we can start talking about what we saw rather than what we think we will see.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

Really? I think Ziggy is going to be a bust. From the tape I have watched of him he looks very unnatural, which does kind of make sense since he is so new to football. But he runs around straight up and just looks awkward out there. I was not impressed with his tape at all.

I think Mingo by far has the best tape. He plays much faster and more aggressive than the other 2. I do agree that Jordan may have better highlight tape though. But I think that has to do with the fact that he was utilized much better than Mingo. He was put all over the place and brought on different blitzes and stunts that gave him better chances to get to the QB.

Also I think Jordan was better at arriving at the QB under control. Mingo left a lot of sacks and TFLs on the field, so when he gets that down he will be a killer.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

Quote:

I am looking forward to training camp opening when we can start talking about what we saw rather than what we think we will see.

Yeah this is the most hyped I've been about Browns season for awhile. Can't wait until the home opener!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I feel pretty good about them as well.

Lord Willing, I will be in my seats for the opener.

In the mean time, the Tribe is starting to play well, and I do follow the Braves as well. They have a pretty solid club this season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree on Ansah. I was so happy when the Lions grabbed him ahead of us.

I do think that it will be interesting to see how he does on a Lions team with pretty considerable talent on the interior of their DL. With Suh and Fairly in the middle of the DL for the Lions, Ansah should see a lot of one on one blocking. If he busts, it won't be because he went to a team devoid of talent beside him, and it won't be because he faced constant double teams. .

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

I agree on Ansah. I was so happy when the Lions grabbed him ahead of us.

I do think that it will be interesting to see how he does on a Lions team with pretty considerable talent on the interior of their DL. With Suh and Fairly in the middle of the DL for the Lions, Ansah should see a lot of one on one blocking. If he busts, it won't be because he went to a team devoid of talent beside him, and it won't be because he faced constant double teams. .

Good point. He will be seeing nothing but 1 on 1s with tackles. Plus I think he will be better with his hand in the ground. He didnt seem to get much burst at BYU when standing and it will probably help him stay lower.

But the talent he faced could also be troublesome. He played some scrubs! Haha

Which is another reason i feel better about Mingo. He played against some of the best Olines in the country on a consistent basis. I think that drafting defense from the SEC is always the way to go.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Not going to debate you all on Ansah...the draft is over n he's on another team...thank goodness in another Conference. Your thoughts are possible bust my thoughts were he was perfect for what Horton was building here. To say either as a certainty is futile as it will be time to tell. But I'm sure if a bust I'll get a "I TOLD YOU SO" lol feel free I'll man up to it I'm just happy he didn't go to Steelers, Ravens or Bengals phew!

Peen...yeah I can't wait. But I'm at the stage of life where time goes by too fast. So I will definitely wait.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Peen...yeah I can't wait. But I'm at the stage of life where time goes by too fast. So I will definitely wait.

Tell me about it.....that's why I mentioned the baseball teams. We have a season to enjoy while we wait for the Browns.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm waiting with bated breath for video footage of the rookie minicamp lol.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

Not going to debate you all on Ansah...the draft is over n he's on another team...thank goodness in another Conference. Your thoughts are possible bust my thoughts were he was perfect for what Horton was building here. To say either as a certainty is futile as it will be time to tell. But I'm sure if a bust I'll get a "I TOLD YOU SO" lol feel free I'll man up to it I'm just happy he didn't go to Steelers, Ravens or Bengals phew!

I'm more worried about Jarvis Jones on the Steelers than I would be Ziggy in the division to be honest.

Plus I don't think he would fit our system, I don't think he fits as a LB at all. He is probably in the best situation for himself.

And no I won't give you the I told you so haha. Just my opinions. He could very well end up being a beast, but I just personally don't see it yet.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Jordan had a lot more opportunities to just flat rush the QB at Oregon. Oregon's quick strike O kept their D on the field. Which is also why he was rotated out more. Add the fact that many teams they faced were forced to pass a lot more because they'd be down by 30 points at half time. Where as Mingo played a style more representative of NFL football.
This difference made Mingo a more complete player than Jordan. JMHO

[Linked Image]
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
Quote:

I think it's pretty daggone clear. Chud is the HC. Horton is the defensive coordinator. We WILL BE RUNNING A DEFENSE THAT HAS MULTIPLE FRONTS. GUARANTEED.

Here is a great article that breaks down Horton's defense he ran in Arizona and the many fronts that they employed.

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/05/an-in-depth-look-inside-ray-hortons-defense/

I did not look through all the threads, but I do not believe this was posted elsewhere on DT.

All Pro
All Pro
jc

Didn't they tell David he needed to put on a few more pounds before he faced Goliath?

GO BROWNS!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good observation...thanks n so true!

Millcreek... thnx

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

Jordan had a lot more opportunities to just flat rush the QB at Oregon. Oregon's quick strike O kept their D on the field. Which is also why he was rotated out more. Add the fact that many teams they faced were forced to pass a lot more because they'd be down by 30 points at half time. Where as Mingo played a style more representative of NFL football.
This difference made Mingo a more complete player than Jordan. JMHO

Well said sir

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Shark. Not many will read and those that do will ignore and keep insisting that the only defense we'll run this year is a 3-4. It allows them to complain more, which is more important than facts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks Shark, great read

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
So if I have my math straight Rhodes had them in the 34 or their nickel package 96% of the time. The other 3% was in their dime package. And they had 4DL in a jumbo package with 4LB on the field a statistically miniscule 1% of the time.

Seriously what is your deal here???

All teams run a base 43 or 34.

They ran a 43 exactly zero snaps last year.

They pull a DL off the field and insert a DB a very high number of snaps but it's not like the nickle defense is some sort of shockingly new concept.

We run a 34. Say it with me...we run a 34!

He ran a 34 or a 245 with the DEs sliding into 1 technique and 3 tech a full 96% of the time!

Sheesh!

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Why are you so agitated?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shark, good read.

I think that's the same defense the Steelers ran in 1969

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm not an X and O guy but even I can see that Hortons 3-4 isn't Romeos or Manginis.

If anything, it seems to more resemble the old (bringing back memories here) Romeo Crennels UFO Defense. Things coming at you from everywhere and anywhere. LOL At least that's the way I remember it being explained to be back then..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm not an X and O guy but even I can see that Hortons 3-4 isn't Romeos or Manginis.

If anything, it seems to more resemble the old (bringing back memories here) Romeo Crennels UFO Defense. Things coming at you from everywhere and anywhere. LOL At least that's the way I remember it being explained to be back then..

Not to nitpick, But it is important to properly bestow credit where credit is due. Rob Ryan was the architect of the Browns' amoeba defense. After all, we have no idea, he could be a future HC of this franchise. After all, weirder things have happened. Lombardi is here isn't he?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Not to nitpick, But it is important to properly bestow credit where credit is due. Rob Ryan was the architect of the Browns' amoeba defense. After all, we have no idea, he could be a future HC of this franchise. After all, weirder things have happened. Lombardi is here isn't he?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he was referring to the early 2000s when Romeo was our DC and used that defense.

Tackles are tackles.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Not to nitpick, But it is important to properly bestow credit where credit is due. Rob Ryan was the architect of the Browns' amoeba defense.

No, it was Crennel.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Below you'll find what I was referring to. If you have something from the 2000 season when Crennel was DC for the Browns, with all due respect, please sight it.

Link

Upon further review, Week 7: Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's scheme flummoxed Saints QB Drew Brees
By Dennis Manoloff, The Plain Dealer
on October 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM, updated October 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM Print

Email
This is a Tribe Town! Click for Cleveland Indians full schedule and ticket information

Sponsored Link

Joshua Gunter / The Plain Dealer
David Bowens picked off two Drew Brees passes and returned both for touchdowns.
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A total of 356 passing yards looks nice on paper.

It did not look so good on the Superdome turf Sunday in New Orleans, La.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees, a veteran and one of the game's best passers, amassed the big number but performed poorly when it mattered in the Browns' 30-17 victory at the Superdome.

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's scheme made Brees periodically look like a wide-eyed rookie. A DVR review of the CBS telecast confirmed that Ryan and his band of thieves deserved their props for a job well done.

Yes, the Browns' trick plays crippled the Saints. Some timely first downs, especially in the fourth quarter, helped. But the meat on the dawg bone was Ryan's amoeba defense., whose various forms confused the Saints' offensive line and rattled Brees -- regardless of what the quarterback said afterwards. Brees needed 56 attempts to get his yards and was intercepted four times.

One of the most telling plays came early. The Saints faced third-and-15 from their 18 with 9:07 left in the first quarter. As Brees mishandled a shotgun snap, the Browns rushed two -- Shaun Rogers and Marcus Benard. Brees picked up the ball and dumped off to Ladell Betts on what appeared to be a designed screen, but Betts gained merely 6 because the Browns had more than enough tacklers waiting patiently for him at the second level.

Ryan's amoeba is designed to create confusion as to how many will be rushing, how many will be covering, and where everybody will be coming from. Players mill around as if in a shopping-mall food court until just before the snap. It is all about taking away the pre-snap read.

The best opportunity for such a defense to thrive is when the opponent does not feature much of a running game. The Browns were not worried about the Saints exploiting gaps in the line, so they could freelance without pause. The Saints finished with 58 yards rushing on 18 carries.

Even without a ground threat, a quarterback the caliber of Brees can win a game by himself. But he's not going to do so when he never sees the opposing linebacker in coverage, as happened late in the fourth quarter. On a Saints' second-and-10 from the Cleveland 34, the Browns rushed three, Rogers applying pressure up the middle.

Linebacker David Bowens, coming from the right side of the defense, locked on Brees's eyes and began sliding over the middle. Brees attempted to connect with Betts at medium range, but the pass never got there because Bowens sprang up and picked it off at the Cleveland 36. It was soon to be 30-10 Cleveland.

From the time the ball was snapped through his release, Brees never saw Bowens. If Brees did, he's not as smart as we think he is.

Bowens was the brightest of many stars for the Browns in the upset special. He also had an interception return for touchdown late in the second quarter. For the first pick-six, Bowens did not rely on stealth; he was in the right place at the right time and made an athletic play. The Saints had first-and-10 from their 32 when Browns linebacker Matt Roth beat the right tackle and grabbed the jersey of Brees, who attempted to throw the ball away over the middle. The pass hit Bowens, bounced off a Saint and back to Bowens at the 30. Bowens reached down to grab the carom, turned the corner and scored for a 20-3 lead.

Other observations from the DVR review:

*Rogers, who, despite his size, has been largely invisible this season, delivered his most impactful game. Early in the second quarter, Rogers pressured Brees into committing a major mistake in the red zone. Brees threw a pass well behind intended receiver Betts and into the hands of linebacker Scott Fujita at the Cleveland 3. Fujita returned it to the 19.

On that play, Rogers was the only Brown with his hand on the ground when the ball was snapped. The rush ended up being 3-on-6, but Rogers split a double-team and forced a wobbly pass.

*Speaking of Fujita.....Fun to watch every week, he elevated his game that much more against the team with which he won a Super Bowl earlier this year. Fujita, Ryan's coach on the field, seemed to be everywhere and made sure his teammates were in the correct spots. Brees would never admit it, but I think Fujita's presence unnerved him. Brees knows how intelligent Fujita is, and he must have realized Fujita was sniffing out plays before they happened.

*Browns punter Reggie Hodges has been tremendous the last two weeks. His 68-yard run up the middle off a fake punt late in the first half was a thing of beauty. Credit Jason Trusnik for sealing off one side, and Blake Costanzo for selling what the Saints' Matt Giordano might have thought was a fake-punt run to the left. Giordano left the middle of the field vacated to chase Costanzo, opening the gaping hole.

*Josh Cribbs's charge that his crotch had been grabbed at the end of a return could not be verified because CBS cut away to highlights too quickly after he had been tackled.

Legend
Legend
We know what you were referring to, what they were referring to, however, was the UFO defense that Crennel used here in 2000, long before he came back as the head coach.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........Yeah, I think everyone is right---in their own way in regards to those defenses.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Below you'll find what I was referring to. If you have something from the 2000 season when Crennel was DC for the Browns, with all due respect, please sight it.

Crennel is widely considered the architect of the 'UFO defense', though that's not entirely true, as Bob Slowik actually ran it in our first expansion season. But, if you ask anyone who constructed the 'UFO', most everyone will say Crennel.

http://starbeacon.com/localsports/x343668149/Browns-Notebook-Crennel-inspired-by-UFO-defense/print

Quote:

It recalled the oddball scheme Crennel used in a 19-11 win over Belichick’s Patriots on Nov. 12, 2000.

Then-coach Chris Palmer called it a “UFO defense.”

http://www.the-daily-record.com/local%20...ith-same-talent

Quote:

When things got really bad toward the end of the 2000 campaign, Crennel came up with the "UFO" defense,

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/09/hey_tony_tony_grossi_answers_y_2.html

Hey, Tony: Is Rob Ryan utilizing a concept of Romeo Crennel's infamous "UFO" defense from 2000? I notice on these third-and-long situations, it seems like they are not lining up traditionally in order to disguise where the blitz is coming from. -- Dan Martin, Westlake

Hey, Dan: It certainly does resemble the UFO defense. In truth, first-year coach Chris Palmer and then-coordinator Bob Slowik introduced the UFO package in 1999 -- the year before Crennel joined as coordinator. It wasn't effective then and it's not been effective now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok, now I get it. I admit that I'm unfamiliar with the Crennell iteration of the Amoeba. Although I have been a fan of the this team since the moment I became aware of professional football, I don't pretend to know everything. Anyone willing to explain?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
While I was typing my last response I see a lot of poster's have responded. Thanks for clearing that up.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ok, now I get it. I admit that I'm unfamiliar with the Crennell iteration of the Amoeba. Although I have been a fan of the this team since the moment I became aware of professional football, I don't pretend to know everything. Anyone willing to explain?

I'm not familiar with it either, but from what I gather, it and Ryan's "amoeba" thing were kinda similar.... they looked like a bunch of guys not knowing precisely what to do, and it wasn't terribly effective.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Pit, have you been following Slick's posts?

I would assume you haven't. It's like he is mac's son.

I just said i want the kid to stud out......not sure what else you want from me vers.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
N
Legend
Legend
N
just noting that Berea High School ran the UFO defense when I played against them in the 90's. So, some HS inspired defense at the NFL level there.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not familiar with it either, but from what I gather, it and Ryan's "amoeba" thing were kinda similar.... they looked like a bunch of guys not knowing precisely what to do, and it wasn't terribly effective.

Drew Brees and Eli Manning disagree.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wait, we're only going to use 2 defensive linemen!?!? All our linemen are getting traded!!!1!

(/sarcasm after reading that awesome article...) Thanks, Shark!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) "Son Of Barkevious Mingo" [Mingo Draft, part deux]

Link Copied to Clipboard