Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes, this is what all the athletes say in every sport.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I don't recall any indication of his being on steroids prior to that .... no failed drug tests, etc. I could be wrong, as it has been a while ..... but I don't remember any such problems.

As an aside ..... I remember when we first signed him and people hated him. lol It took him a couple of years to become the player he eventually became here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I remember when we first signed him and people hated him

Sounds like every FA we sign.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yep, after his injury, something sure did light him up. It's called steriods.

!50 percent wrong bro

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
As stated slanderous to say that his transformation in 03 was due to steroid.
I stated that he did test positive in 07??? as he was trying to heal from an injury in the off season. Ytown remembers it also. You know why is it so hard for somebody to state MY BAD when they are wrong. I repeat what you said MEMPHIS was slanderous to Tucker's transformation. I laid out a lot of facts you use a fact of 4 years later where it was not performance enhancing but Injury related.

"I want to apologize to the fans, my family. It's been a long road. I was pretty down and out last year. In my attempt to come back, I took a banned substance. Therefore I am going to be suspended for four games. I am going to fulfill this punishment and get it behind me."

Thats all it was very simple...Memphis you were incorrect to imply that his turnaround to his career was centered around Steroids...ergo my use of the word Slanderous...sorry that word doesn't sit well with you but it applies perfectly. Man Up...or prove he was using Steroids in 03, 04, 05, 06 - I won't hold my breath.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

As stated slanderous to say that his transformation in 03 was due to steroid.
I stated that he did test positive in 07??? as he was trying to heal from an injury in the off season. Ytown remembers it also. You know why is it so hard for somebody to state MY BAD when they are wrong. I repeat what you said MEMPHIS was slanderous to Tucker's transformation. I laid out a lot of facts you use a fact of 4 years later where it was not performance enhancing but Injury related.

"I want to apologize to the fans, my family. It's been a long road. I was pretty down and out last year. In my attempt to come back, I took a banned substance. Therefore I am going to be suspended for four games. I am going to fulfill this punishment and get it behind me."

Thats all it was very simple...Memphis you were incorrect to imply that his turnaround to his career was centered around Steroids...ergo my use of the word Slanderous...sorry that word doesn't sit well with you but it applies perfectly. Man Up...or prove he was using Steroids in 03, 04, 05, 06 - I won't hold my breath.

"Man up"??

C'mon, that's a bit weird to say to someone that has a varying approach on this player's production, who in fact, I consider one of my favorite o-lineman since '99. Actually my first post was more or less tongue in cheek but having some seriousness to it. If there is font color that expresses "seriousness in jest" someone please let me know. I'll respond accordingly into the future.

I wasn't specifically referring to '03 and his alleged turnaround. You are. I am saying it is a very real possibility that steroids could have been part of his entire career and only he got caught for the first time in 2007. Do I know for a fact? no. Do you? That answer is also no. However, I think I have something on my side of the argument that makes more sense than you want to accept. This guy was caught twice using steriods. I see a trend. I see a comfortability to use it. And I see far too many athletes defer to doctors' orders or injuries to justify it's usage, rather than it gives that person the edge. Again, I don't know if this is the reason or not, but I lean on failing tests as logical reasoning to why he could have done it before. You disagree.

What we want to decipher in this is up to one's opinion but because I may not fully subscribe to your thinking that he simply ate better and worked out harder as the singular reason he increased production, please do end your comment by essentially saying whatever my response is- as along as it isn't "maning up"- is wrong. I think you do this far to often with people who don't see it your way or offer a different perspective.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wasn't specifically referring to '03 and his alleged turnaround. You are. I am saying it is a very real possibility that steroids could have been part of his entire career and only he got caught for the first time in 2007. Do I know for a fact? no. Do you? That answer is also no

Where is that photo of beating a dead horse.. They guy was not using roids. Do I know that for a fact yes.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

but because I may not fully subscribe to your thinking that he simply ate better and worked out harder as the singular reason he increased production

I'm sure there was more than those two changes but roids was not one of them...and the above was not ME THINKING - it was a FACT. Thats all. Man up was to carry this on as if you had merit to what you said...not white wash it about being sarcastic etc. Btw...purple isn't being used religiously on this board but there is a vast array of emoticons you can use to depict some of your posting demeanor. Btw here is mine

Its ok...no big deal just thought you would like to know the truth than rumors. Thats all as you said - your choice to think what you wish...but I don't think/opinion - I happen to know. It doesn't hurt to say - I was joking my bad. But still you are trying to justify what you are stating. smh

Sorry board...Gilkey...any Senior Bowl film practice/game day available?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
good pick up line him up against ruben in practice.

E
Legend
Legend
E
OL need hitting. A lot of the new CBA stuff hurts the OL limiting practices with pads. Its like the only positions you cannot really evaluate until there is Hitting n work these guys in. I am remember a kid we had Chanoine...had great feet - looked amazing in practices...until Hittting. Then he was an Old Coat Stand w/cemented feet n getting our QB killed from RT. We'll see when we start hiting whenever that is.

JMHO n yes our DTs or now 3-4 DEs are pretty solid for one on one drills w/the youth to train against! Nice pick up.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Classic... keep it handy there is a lot of dead horses this time of year.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah i remember that guy... he was going to be a diamond in the rough... turn out to be a piece of coal.

#gmstrong

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt hitting is where it's at for lineman on both sides of the ball.

You find out who moves players and who gets moved.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If the combine implemented the Oklahoma drill I'd probably buy a plane ticket to Indy.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
cool video, I know it's Div II but do like his motor and his aggressiveness to attack his assignment. The funniest part is at the 3 min mark...he drove his assignment from the hash mark to his side of the out of bounds...was pretty funny

Legend
Legend
Quote:

cool video, I know it's Div II but do like his motor and his aggressiveness to attack his assignment. The funniest part is at the 3 min mark...he drove his assignment from the hash mark to his side of the out of bounds...was pretty funny

Man, that was hilarious! I almost don't know how he avoided a penalty, because it looked like he he shoved the guy completely out of bounds and over the bench.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
To me, this is what we want in a UDFA...a guy who was totally above the rest....it's what should be expected for a guy clearly better then the rest of the competition.

If he keeps playing with the same motor against guys who are going to beat him some of the time, we might have a pretty good player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A better tape can be found in the senior bowl. He played LG (#65) next to Lane Johnson for the south.

I think he will do ok. He held his own in that game. Kawaan Short got him a couple of times, but he did not embarrass himself.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
Legend
M
jc

FYI-In an interview posted on the Browns' website, Gilkey says they have him playing RG. Also, he comes across as a very smart kid who is intent on working hard. Hopefully, we've caught a diamond in the rough.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
At rookie camp: What he'll be at during Training Camp.

If RG n he cracks the starting 5...I'm guessing Lava moves to LG???

I liked his tenacity on the tapes. LG is the opening if anything. RG is the easiest of all OL to learn for transition college to NFL.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

At rookie camp: What he'll be at during Training Camp.

If RG n he cracks the starting 5...I'm guessing Lava moves to LG???

I liked his tenacity on the tapes. LG is the opening if anything. RG is the easiest of all OL to learn for transition college to NFL.

JMHO

Would Lauvao move to LG, or the bench? Do you think he would displace Pinkston?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Do you think that Pinkston will displace Greco?

Greco played pretty damn well last year. We actually got better blocking with him in the lineup.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Bleacher rated Greco is the top 20 of all OGs last year. I love Lava and think he is underrated by many but my OG's go Greco, Lava, Pink. It will be interesting to see if Gilkey can moved up the depth chart.

If he can step in a OT he'll knock Miller to the cut list. I've never seen such a bad pass pro in TC. Miller is horrid.

Last edited by predator16; 05/13/13 04:39 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do you think that Pinkston will displace Greco?

Greco played pretty damn well last year. We actually got better blocking with him in the lineup.

I completely forgot that Greco even existed. Goes to show how little attention I paid to this team down the stretch.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was very impressed by Greco last year. I just thought he was a reject, but he played very well. I like his agility and his ability to get to the second level. I would rate him as our top guard at this point.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

I was very impressed by Greco last year. I just thought he was a reject, but he played very well. I like his agility and his ability to get to the second level. I would rate him as our top guard at this point.

He came out of nowhere on me as well. He's perfect for a bridge between 2 ultra athletic OL in Thomas and Mack. Consistency and intelligence are more important than an athlete between those 2 I'd think. His light bulb came on last year. The nonathletic guards tend to take a while. Hopefully with him, I'd have to believe, penciled at LG Lava and Pink can push each other for better RG play. If Lava's lightbulb comes on in a similar fashion I think he could be an above average starter, perhaps better than Greco.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He's a Boardman High School guy ...... home of greats like Bernie Kosar, and .... well .... me.

How could Greco be anything but great when he got a shot?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Gilkey or another wouldn't beat out Lava at RG n then look for Lava to compete. It would be that RG is the easier to transition to for a rookie. Lava would move to LG which I could be wrong but when he was a rookie it was noted that he was a LG candidate before he was put at RG n impressed the coaches.

LG, Pinkston or Greco would in fact be replaced by Gilkey if he won a spot. Even if Gilkey doesn't play the LG spot. It would be that he is impressing so they would move Lava over to LG to make room.

Greco...good feet, good lateral movement just pretty weak n easily overpowered I personally was unimpressed n there is a reason why he was/is A Good Backup...he can play OT as well as any of the interior positions in a bandaid situation. I don't think he can Win a starting spot. I know Norv n Chud are new here...but Warhop is the same OL coach I don't see why his opinion of Greco would change. He probably would have a spot on our roster cause he is very serviceable at several of the OL positions. Actually outside of the ND Center we signed on UDFA Greco is the only possible backup center we have.

Example on Greco...I remember him getting in good position in Pass Pro and anchor down only to get totally ran over. I also remember him pulling to Power the right side for a run there n totally whiff on the outside contain guy who made the tackle for loss n another time just not able to stop the DE Crashing down who went right through him for the tackle. He's not awful by any means...I sort of have Brandon Stokes memories of him - luckily for us to show how far we have come with our OL...He will never compete for our LT position where Stokes basically was handed that position one season.

Pinkston - so much has to do with his health. It was pretty serious we have no idea what his conditioning is now n if he is ready to play.

JMHO - doesn't have to be the same, it is what it is

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

He's a Boardman High School guy ...... home of greats like Bernie Kosar, and .... well .... me.

How could Greco be anything but great when he got a shot?

Boredman.... Bah

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Maybe if you'd pull your hat up from over your eyes you'd see what a fine area Boardman is ......

Oh, and maybe you also wouldn't be lost. lol

If you were from Ohio, I would guess that you went to Fitch. They were always clever enough to turn "Board" into "Bored" too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you were from Ohio, I would guess that you went to Fitch. They were always clever enough to turn "Board" into "Bored" too.

Sometimes it was intentional

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Damn... that is pretty good for a Bordite... born in Austintown, but moved out to New Middletown / Springfield at an early age.

Actually attended Mooney in HS.

I may have to change my opinion of Boardman

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend

It seemed like every Fitch kid in the late 70s made that "Boredman" joke. I got quite used to it.

I didn't interact much with the Mooney kids ..... although I did used to go drinking with this one girl from Mooney from time to time..... She was a good Catholic girl .......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thats one thing us Catholics are good at - drinking.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Funny part is I am Methodist, we drink too.

I was Baptist but I had to invite two of them when I went fishing... invite one and he drinks... invite two and they don't

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
What's the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist?

Methodists say hello to each other at the liquor store.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
From the official team website.

Browns sign Garrett Gilkey
Posted 9 minutes ago
The Cleveland Browns have signed offensive lineman Garrett Gilkey, whom they drafted in the seventh round in April.

The Cleveland Browns today signed offensive lineman Garrett Gilkey to a four-year contract, the team announced.
Selected in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft, Gilkey appeared in 37 games with 34 starts at Chadron State University (2009-12), where he served as the Eagles’ left tackle. He received first team All-America honors from d2football.com and was one of only three Division II players invited to the 2013 Senior Bowl. Born July 7, 1990, the 6-6, 320-pound Gilkey is a native of native of Sandwich, Illinois and attended Sandwich High School as a freshman and sophomore before transferring to Aurora Christian High School for his final two years of high school.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

From the official team website.

Browns sign Garrett Gilkey
Posted 9 minutes ago
The Cleveland Browns have signed offensive lineman Garrett Gilkey, whom they drafted in the seventh round in April.

The Cleveland Browns today signed offensive lineman Garrett Gilkey to a four-year contract, the team announced.
Selected in the seventh round (227th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft, Gilkey appeared in 37 games with 34 starts at Chadron State University (2009-12), where he served as the Eagles’ left tackle. He received first team All-America honors from d2football.com and was one of only three Division II players invited to the 2013 Senior Bowl. Born July 7, 1990, the 6-6, 320-pound Gilkey is a native of native of Sandwich, Illinois and attended Sandwich High School as a freshman and sophomore before transferring to Aurora Christian High School for his final two years of high school.

that's what,, two picks signed so far?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Pick #227: Garrett Gilkey, OG, Chadron State

Link Copied to Clipboard