Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

- Don't know much on McFadden but am concerned about his size

I concern myself less with height than with vertical leap...

Sure, but if the WR is 4-5 inches taller, that's gonna have to be some pretty good vertical leap, cause wide receivers can jump too. And when I say size, I'm just not referring to getting to the ball when it's in the air. I'm also referring to going against big, stronger WRs at the line. Specifically, if he loses the physical battle near the line and during the route. Can he recover and make plays? Again, I don't know.

Instincts and speed will be equally important, which apparently he has.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 04/28/13 03:05 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I honestly beleive that with our new and much improved coaching staff (on paper anyway) and all the new players we brought in we could be an 8 or 9 win team and have at least an outside shot at the playoffs. Alot will depend on what Chud and Norv Turner can do with Weeden.

I agree with this. I think that the new coaching staff should be worth at least 2 wins, just from preparation and clock management. We should be at 7 wins on that alone. The question becomes whether our opponents have added better production players than we have. It's possible that they did, but we should still improve by at least 2 wins just through improved coaching.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Value isn't always seen immediatly. I think we will see the value next year.

Kind of like buying a stock.

I wouldn't recommend buying stocks. Not in today's economic climate.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

jc

I sure hope the Honey Badger isn't All Pro in his first year.

Only in the prison league.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

- Don't know much on McFadden but am concerned about his size

I concern myself less with height than with vertical leap...

I agree. And, if these guys are real corners, you can strip a receiver of a reception. A lost art, but you can be 4'8" and strip a 6'8" receiver if you practice the method.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Here is a link with good information about current cap space. There are going to be more cuts. I think we find our starting CB there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/team-by-team-cap-numbers-from-nfls-calculations/

and trades. I think that's what is going to happen with those 3rd and 4th round draft picks are going to go. jmo.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

We stole Bess and that has to count.

Absolutely, I will go as far as saying it saved the entire draft and they accomplished something I could hardly see them accomplish before the draft. I thought we would add more young players to the youngest roster in the league. Instead, we "punted" two picks into next draft and devalued another 3rd day pick into a veteran starter. Banner created space for the young players he inherited to further develop AND added a veteran. That's just smart.
Many have not realized yet how smart it was to turn half the price for Bess (4th round swap) into a wash (punt pick into 2013), as we would have gotten the same deal for pick 104 as we did for pick 111

I LOVE the Bess trade, it's an A+ and that's not because of the low price we paid. I would have given it an A for our 4th too. It works on pretty much every level for me. Need for a veteran in a very young group of WRs? Check. Need for a sure-handed safety walve for Weeden? Check. Need for a pure slot-WR who isn't afraid going over the middle? Check. Need for adding returning help? Check

Bess will be an immediate producer out of that draft and that balances out the Mingo pick, who will probably need his rookie season to get acclimated to the NFL. He needs to get stronger, he needs to finish of tackles, he needs to refine his technique, he needs to learn better hand usage....all that while learning to play OLB. That's a lot of learning and rawness for a top 10 pick from the SEC who has played under NFL-like coaches at LSU. Still think they over-valued Mingo and implemented too much of that projection as a given instead of devalauting his worth since it's all still "virtual". Really, the difference between him and Armonty Bryant is pretty much character and motor only. They're both big time projects as players. I'm not saying Mingo is a 3rd day prospect, as both character and motor have their worth and help elevate the floor projection, but simply stating what I see on tape with Mingo.

McFadden is a high-floor, low-ceiling guy and he should be ready by week one to start. I have my concerns but I think he's a clear upgrade over Skrine and Owens (not that hard though).

The 3rd day guys I have to take a closer look at, but all 3 have a shot to make the team as there are open spots at their positions. All three are high ceiling, low floor gambles with either character/medical or small school red flags (or a combination). Bascially taking a huge swing on a 0-2 pitch instead of going for contact...why not, I guess. If one of them turns into a homer or even double, it was worth it

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Can anyone imagine how badly this board would have "blown up" if the front office did the opossite in this years draft, with regard to the swapped picks? There would be effigies burning in the streets if we had given up our third next year for the Steeler's fourth this year and our fourth next year for the Colt's fifth this year, just to fill holes that we "imagine" are there based off of media hype and the so called experts on this, or any other, board. People would be committing cyber suicide for pages.

Yup.

Some Browns fans will find a way to turn everything into a negative.

I was listening to talk radio yesterday, because Cleveland talk radio before, during, and after the draft might be the best form of entertainment. The guy on the line said that the Browns were throwing away the season, and that Mike Lombardi didn't respect what we had on the roster. I was befuddled. If he didn't like what we had, wouldn't he have drafted more guys?

I really think he doesn't quite know what we have. Yes, he said publicly he hated the pick of Weeden last year. The rest of this roster though? How do we know how good any of these players really are, especially on offense? They were put into a horrible scheme, an outdated scheme. Do we really know how good Greg Little is? I don't. I see some qualities, but I want to know more. How about Mitchell Schwartz? We all like the pick, we like some of the things we see, but Pat refused to run the ball at appropriate times last year. It's tough to gauge how good some of our players are because of the horrible position they were put in.

I won't rail on the defense like I did with Pat/Mike's offense, but it's going to be a complete flip flop. I'm not going to say Jauron's defense wasn't a bad defense, I just don't think he quite had the personnel for it. He needed at least one primo top tier pass rush, and obviously a better corner.

In Horton's defense, he just needs Haden to be on the field, and another corner to be starting caliber. You don't need Revis out there. The front 7 on paper looks good.

But yeah, fans will find a way to rail on anything. We take Mingo and people whine about Milliner. We don't trade with St. Louis and we're horrible. We do trade with Pittsburgh and it's the worst thing ever. I think some fans are too obsessed with draft picks. How would you feel if Mingo turns out to be a hall of famer, but you passed on him so some other player you picked in round 1 turned out to be ok, and you got a second pick out of it for another average guy. I said it a million times, if they like a guy, PICK HIM.

Can we at least see how things work out before we bury these players and front office guys? Mike Lombardi wasn't my first choice either, but I'm at least going to give him a fair shot, not put him back into unemployment before the team has even played a game.

Legend
Legend
I heard people on the radio whining simply because we didn't take enough players. It didn't matter whether or not we had players to fill the holes we have ..... it just mattered that we didn't add bodies.

Frankly I expect next year's draft to be better than this year's, and I expect a "slot to slot" draft pick to be a better value next year than this year. This draft was historically weak. I could be wrong, but I cannot imagine having another really weak draft next year. Usually there is a rebound to a strong draft. We're well situated to take advantage if this is the case.

I heard people on the radio whining about the kid the Steelers took and how he would have been "perfect" for the Browns. Well, except that he's a SS, and we need a FS ..... and that he's already had numerous concussions from leading with his head into tackles. Other than that he would have been perfect for us.

People complain that we never give our players the chance to develop ..... and that is clearly the plan here, especially on offense. You can't develop players by replacing them with similar (or worse) players. Many people were worried that the new brain trust would come in and clean house of the young base we have, and now they seem disappointed that we didn't.

I guess I'm just confused.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Maybe a lot of browns fans who remain do so because they like being freely able to *whine* and moan about something. Maybe if we start becoming a serious playoff contender a lot of the current fans will disappear, or at least their complaining will start to look silly. I'm sure plenty of people complain about the Patriots drafting.

As a side note about the Patriots.. Their drafting really isn't that impressive at all. I want to harp on about this or make it my sig..but they win because they have Tom Brady. We can write off this season if Weeden doesn't become elite because that is 90% of the game now adays. Mingo vs. Milliner is significantly less important than Weeden vs. Manziel.

Legend
Legend
When you have the QB in place it makes everything, and I mean everything, easier. Receivers become better. The OL becomes better. Even the defense becomes better. It's so hard to win in the NFL without the QB. Look at the Niners. They had to have the best running game, and the best defense in order to win in their first year under Harbaugh. (#1 in both areas, IIRC) That's kind of what it takes to win without the right QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

When you have the QB in place it makes everything, and I mean everything, easier. Receivers become better. The OL becomes better. Even the defense becomes better. It's so hard to win in the NFL without the QB. Look at the Niners. They had to have the best running game, and the best defense in order to win in their first year under Harbaugh. (#1 in both areas, IIRC) That's kind of what it takes to win without the right QB.

Muddling those waters are the interdependent relationships between QB & scheme/system, and QB & WR's.
The QB can make players better just as the other players can make the QB better; and the same goes for the scheme/system.

The trick is to find the best possible matchup of all of those variables. Obviously, a QB like Peyton Manning makes it a lot easier, but he's a once-in-a-generation kinda player. This is where guys seeming come out of nowhere and turn into rock stars, because every now and again a coach is able to get a guy who just pretty much perfectly fits what it is that he is trying to do. Meanwhile, every other coach is racing against the clock trying to find that guy before their tenure is ended.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I heard the whining too.

My guess was that it would have been confined to us taking Mingo over Milliner or a trade down but I didn't hear much of that. One of the radio personalities was pitching a fit because we didn't take Honey Badger but bashed us for taking the 7th round flyer on Bryant. I know both have troubles, but its a completely different ballgame taking a 3rd than a 7th when it comes to that stuff IMO. He would have had a better argument if he fell further....even still, I'm glad we didn't draft him.

I did hear a bunch of concern about the trade with Pittsburgh, not necessarily the person Pitt drafted. I tend to surf all those radio shows and perhaps I missed it, but some callers shared my concern, that we simply did a deal with Pitt regardless of the draft pick. Either way, we'll find out later who wins this one.

To your reference about giving our players time to develop, if you are referring to the current roster, I agree. I think evidence of the trades allow more of this to happen. It will be interested to see what happens and #2CB, FS, ILB now...

One person I am interested in seeing more of is this Gilkey guy. Very raw it seems but with a big mean streak.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Having a good offense sure does help your defense when you're able to put them in positions where they know the other team has to throw.

How would the Steelers or Ravens defense look if they were always down 7-10 points like it always seems like we are?

Actually we saw that in 2007 with the Ravens when they had a horrible offense and we swept them.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I saw a few references to "Why didn't they take the Honey Badger" ....... then later in the same article, "Why did they take a chance on a kid caught selling pot?" Maybe because one was a 3rd round pick and the other was a 7th round flyer?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is where guys seeming come out of nowhere and turn into rock stars, because every now and again a coach is able to get a guy who just pretty much perfectly fits what it is that he is trying to do. Meanwhile, every other coach is racing against the clock trying to find that guy before their tenure is ended.

And some coaches take what they are given, analyze the strengths of the players, and tweak up their system to take advantage of the players abilities... that's the kind of coach we need...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This is where guys seeming come out of nowhere and turn into rock stars, because every now and again a coach is able to get a guy who just pretty much perfectly fits what it is that he is trying to do. Meanwhile, every other coach is racing against the clock trying to find that guy before their tenure is ended.

And some coaches take what they are given, analyze the strengths of the players, and tweak up their system to take advantage of the players abilities... that's the kind of coach we need...

I think we have three of them, Chud, Turner and Horton.

That could end up making all the difference.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, I saw a few references to "Why didn't they take the Honey Badger" ....... then later in the same article, "Why did they take a chance on a kid caught selling pot?" Maybe because one was a 3rd round pick and the other was a 7th round flyer?

LOL. Honey Badger admitted he had no idea how many drug tests he failed because he stopped counting at 10. Good stuff there, in the 3rd.

I'd rather spend the 7th on someone who was putting what he learned in his finance class to good use

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

LOL. Honey Badger admitted he had no idea how many drug tests he failed because he stopped counting at 10. Good stuff there, in the 3rd.

I'd rather spend the 7th on someone who was putting what he learned in his finance class to good use

hey, CBs have to work really hard to forget what happened on the last play. he's already got that short-term memory loss in the bag.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
So true King Cob...Winning is the cure all.

When we become winners...most of the whining will stop not all but most.

Lets take a real good look at Gipson before everyone starts lamenting about us not having a FS.

Let us see what youngsters step up...Cameron could be an upgrade on Watson??? We don't know.

JMJ, Roberson , Sheard - I think one of these players will step up n into the role of ILB.

McFadden is going to surprise many n I think he will win the RCB starting position n look good doing it. In a season or two later we might have the Bryant Dawgs terrorizing the NFL on each side of the field. So much depends on our coaches now n getting these kids to all believe in their Systems...

We are getting closer to that competitive Browns team we once knew or for the newer Browns fans...the team they always envisioned us to be!

Woof! Woof! Woof!!
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

When we become winners...most of the whining will stop not all but most.

Personally, I think your being optimistic

I don't think any of the whining will stop. LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree Eo.

You have to give Banner and Lonbardi credit. As Banner said, we have some young guy who don't know what they will become, so we are giving some another year.

Now we have extra picks next year if they don't become who they want to become.

To steal a line.....Brilliant!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
I was really hoping we would get Tyler Bray after the draft since he was an UDFA. I feel he would have been a great guy to coach up. I think we missed the boat on him. He has great size and decent numbers.

Oh well, that is why I work Construction and these guys acquire players.

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

I was really hoping we would get Tyler Bray after the draft since he was an UDFA. I feel he would have been a great guy to coach up. I think we missed the boat on him. He has great size and decent numbers.

Oh well, that is why I work Construction and these guys acquire players.

Maybe he didnt want to come here.

As a UDFA you do get to choose if you get more than one offer

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Legend
Legend
'Early returns on Cleveland Browns draft rate it average at best'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/04/early_returns_on_cleveland_bro_1.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer on April 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM, updated April 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- National experts weighed in on the Browns' draft Sunday, and the general consensus was that CEO Joe Banner and General Manager Mike Lombardi were very average in their inaugural selection meeting together here in Cleveland.

Most graders gave the Browns a C, with a couple of highly respected sites -- Sporting News and Sports Illustrated -- dinging them with D's. However, two analysts from Fox Sports liked what the Browns did, one giving them a B and the other a B-plus.

Most of the analysts seemed to like the first-round selection of Barkevious Mingo but some were puzzled by the pick considering the Browns signed pass rushers Paul Kruger and Desmond Bryant in free agency. Many didn't see the wisdom in the Browns surrendering fourth- and fifth-round picks this year for third- and fourth-rounders in 2014.

But third-round pick Leon McFadden, the cornerback out of San Diego State, was a popular choice among the pundits.

A look at the national grades and some of the comments:

Chris Burke, SI.com

Grade: D-plus

Burke described it as "bit of an unusal draft for the Browns, who landed an impact defender in OLB Barkevious Mingo at No. 6 and then picked just once more (CB Leon McFadden) in the next 167 selections." He noted the two selections for 2014 and feels the gamble on Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft paid off. "Strictly in terms of the 2013 draft, though, there's not much to go on here -- slightly disappointing for a team hoping to make big strides," he wrote.

Rob Rang, CBS Sports

Grade: C

Brugler, who accurately predicted the Browns would select Mingo in his draft day mock, wrote: "I understand the passion to attack the quarterback, but I wonder why the Browns elected to pay for Paul Kruger if they were going to draft Barkevious Mingo at No. 6 overall. Where does that put Jabaal Sheard, who was one of the team's better players a year ago? I love cornerback Leon McFadden's athleticism as well, but he's just 5-10. Frankly, I thought the Browns got their best value in the seventh round with intriguing developmental pass rusher Armonty Bryant and Garrett Gilkey, a developmental offensive lineman who impressed me at the Senior Bowl. Adding picks for the 2014 Draft helps what otherwise I thought was one of the least impressive draft classes."

Mel Kiper, ESPN

Grade: C-plus

Kiper has his doubts about Mingo, which hurt the Browns' grade.

"I don't know if it's a good thing, per se, but the guy who will impact the Browns most in 2013 might not be the player they took at No. 6 overall," he wrote. "At No. 68 overall, they took Leon McFadden, a much-needed CB who knows how to operate on an island. As I look at the depth chart, I don't see a reason why McFadden can't break camp as the starter across from Joe Haden. That's not a small deal because it also maximizes Buster Skrine, who will be able to spend more time in the slot, where he's much better."

Consistent with his pre-draft evaluation, Kiper felt Mingo should've had more than 4.5 sacks last season despite drawing double teams and being asked to contain mobile quarterbacks instead of attack them at times.

He described Mingo as "a player I'm at once infatuated with as a talent, but skeptical of because of what I considered production that didn't match up with his talent. Now, Mingo adds depth at outside linebacker, but he's going to need some developmental work because he played with his hand on the ground at LSU. After that, there isn't a lot here that you'll see in 2013. Jamoris Slaughter could provide depth at safety. The lack of a second-round pick really hurt the Browns, who could have used a higher-rated guard -- though I do think Garrett Gilkey has the chance to start eventually -- and I thought would have been wise to add another inside linebacker. But Josh Gordon is developing and Davone Bess should provide Brandon Weeden with another solid target in the passing game. The hope is Mingo becomes a star, and McFadden can perform early. The good news is, both could happen."

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News

Grade: D

Iyer was puzzled by a couple of Browns' decisions, including not taking a quarterback and selecting a cornerback whom he feels is more of an inside guy than a starter opposite Joe Haden.

"For a young team with multiple issues, it's odd the Browns worked their way down to just five picks," he wrote. "LSU first-rounder Barkevious Mingo is a high-risk, high-reward edge pass rusher for their 3-4. They needed a corner for the outside, yet took one, San Diego State's Leon McFadden, better suited for the slot. The biggest head-scratcher was the fact Cleveland officials, not all in on Brandon Weeden, didn't at least take a chance on one of the quarterback prospects after most of them slid.

Peter Prisco, CBS Sports

Prisco's favorite pick was McFadden, whom he deemed a bit undersized "but a solid cover corner who fits a need."

He also questioned the Mingo pick.

"They had two outside rushers and had some other bigger needs. He's a good player, but not a great fit."

He granted Notre Dame safety Jamoris Slaughter, who's coming off the torn Achilles tendon, his "third-day gem" status, acknowledging that he's a risk, but worth it if he can bounce back.

"In his first draft as general manager, I just didn't get the wow factor from Mike Lombardi," Prisco wrote. "I like Mingo, but I thought they had other needs. They did add receiver Davone Bess in a trade (with Miami) for very little.

Evan Silva, Yahoo Sports

Silva excluded Gordon from his evaluation, but included Bess. In exchange for Bess, the Browns moved down seven spots in the fourth round and gave Miami a fifth-rounder for a seventh. He did like the idea of stockpiling picks for next season.

"Mingo was the most naturally explosive edge presence in this draft," he wrote. "McFadden may be stretched covering outside receivers in the NFL, but projects as an upgrade on Buster Skrine at nickel back. Bryant has some upside as a small-school project. Slaughter can be a core special teamer if his Achilles' is right. Lombardi's first draft haul underwhelms on paper, but the Browns can capitalize on his forward-minded thinking next year."

Jen Floyd Engel, Fox Sports

Grade: B

Of all the experts, Engel was the most complimentary of Lombardi and his first draft after five years as an NFL Network analyst.

"There is little not to love about what Mike Lombardi did, even the Barkevious Mingo gamble, which is the best part of this draft for them. They have a GM, a real-deal GM."

Alex Marvez, Fox Sports

Grade: C-minus

Marvez wasn't overly impressed with the Browns' "wait 'til next year" strategy in the middle rounds.

"Outside linebacker Mingo provides some bark to Cleveland's Dawg Pound, but the Browns added only one more player (San Diego State cornerback Leon McFadden) before Round Six," he wrote. "On the positive side, they secured extra third- and fourth-round choices in next year's draft through trades and have already started reaping the dividends of using its 2013 second-round pick in last year's supplemental draft on budding wide receiver Josh Gordon."

Peter Schrager, Fox Sports

Grade: B-plus

Schrager gave the Browns a higher grade than anyone else, particularly for parlaying the fourth- and fifth-rounders into third- and fourth-rounders in 2014.

"You can only do so much when you don't have a second-round pick, and I think Cleveland brass is awfully happy with Gordon, essentially their second-round pick," he said. "Mingo will complement Paul Kruger well in Ray Horton's 3-4. This was a productive draft for the long term."

(end)

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
It's way to early...

But I was talking the draft today with a buddie. I ask him one simple question and he really couldnt come right out and give me an obvious yes/answer. At which position did we no doubt get better at?

I like what the FO did in FA, but the draft is a different story. I think we got better at our 3rd wr and back-up OLB. If that's all you can take away from a draft, then I think the FO did a very poor job.

Combine that with our glaring needs at CB and S, they give up to 2 mid rd picks for next year w/out addressing those needs??????? Really makes me question whoever is making the calls.

In fairness to judge H&H post year ...
Gordon - good
TR- solid/potential
Hughes- solid
Winn- solid/potential
Weeden- struggling/potential
T Benjamin - solid
Schwartz- good/potential
Fort- solid/potential
JMJ- solid

All these players contributed and have potential. I know I'm missing someone.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Is there a rule against signing free agents after the draft?

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
nope... and I do believe we still have room in camp for more bodies

C
Legend
Legend
C
Then I don't think it is fair to judge the new guys when they haven't been given a full off-season to complete their objectives.

If we go out and sign Kerry Rhodes, Karlos Dansby, and Quentin Jammer tomorrow I'm guessing people would have a different view of the draft.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Then I don't think it is fair to judge the new guys when they haven't been given a full off-season to complete their objectives.

If we go out and sign Kerry Rhodes, Karlos Dansby, and Quentin Jammer tomorrow I'm guessing people would have a different view of the draft.

I think we are forced to now... but it doesnt matter as far as the draft. Ill take Jammer/Rhodes. I think we got plenty of talent already at LB(young and vet). Even if they did sign those guys, I think they did a poor job w the draft. If we have more FA's to sign to fill gaps........then what will we have left to secure future contracts for our own players? Draft is cheaper way to go

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think we have three of them, Chud, Turner and Horton.

That could end up making all the difference.

+1

Not sure how many of you have seen, on the NFL channel, the documentary on the '95 Browns but I found it incredibly enlightening as to just how cruel Art Modell was, not just the fans, to the team and FO period. You could truly see the hurt and pain in the way everyone went through that season from Belichick on down. Ozzie stated it at the end of the show that they 'knew" they had a super bowl team that year before Fart broke the news and caused everyone to lose focus.

Lombardi and Chud were key players in that team and I for one, given the opportunity to do it again, think they want to finish what Art kept them from completing the first time around. These guys have Cleveland Fan in their blood and I know they have the desire, and even more experience, to bring home "The Ring". How about we give them a chance? It took "The Hoodie" 4 years the first time, I don't think it will take quite as long with the players we already have in place for Chud.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Go Browns!

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Very objective grades on last year's picks.

Now, I get why you don't think why we haven't improved at any position this year. LOL

Legend
Legend
I've been having fun listening to people on the radio who obviously don't follow the Browns or fully understand where they are, discussing the draft... it's pretty funny.

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I simply don't get it. Browns draft is a bust because they turned down fourth round safety Shamarko Thomas!

I guess Banner/Lombardi/Farmer/Chud can salvage their careers quickly signing Quintin Mikell for a year!

Is this truly what people think a fourth and fifth rounder will break this team? Really?

Frankly I could care less what a bunch of TV guys say about a teams draft results. They are grading a team based on their individual draft board. With that said, Mel Kiper pretty much nails it with this...

Quote:

"I don't know if it's a good thing, per se, but the guy who will impact the Browns most in 2013 might not be the player they took at No. 6 overall," he wrote. "At No. 68 overall, they took Leon McFadden, a much-needed CB who knows how to operate on an island. As I look at the depth chart, I don't see a reason why McFadden can't break camp as the starter across from Joe Haden. That's not a small deal because it also maximizes Buster Skrine, who will be able to spend more time in the slot, where he's much better."

Consistent with his pre-draft evaluation, Kiper felt Mingo should've had more than 4.5 sacks last season despite drawing double teams and being asked to contain mobile quarterbacks instead of attack them at times.

He described Mingo as "a player I'm at once infatuated with as a talent, but skeptical of because of what I considered production that didn't match up with his talent. Now, Mingo adds depth at outside linebacker, but he's going to need some developmental work because he played with his hand on the ground at LSU. After that, there isn't a lot here that you'll see in 2013. Jamoris Slaughter could provide depth at safety. The lack of a second-round pick really hurt the Browns, who could have used a higher-rated guard -- though I do think Garrett Gilkey has the chance to start eventually -- and I thought would have been wise to add another inside linebacker. But Josh Gordon is developing and Davone Bess should provide Brandon Weeden with another solid target in the passing game. The hope is Mingo becomes a star, and McFadden can perform early. The good news is, both could happen."

Mel brings up solid points. Mingo's numbers should have been better. Mel states he is skeptical. Fine, I can live with it. Compare that with Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordon both have medical concerns. Nobody from the top three was perfect. Lombardi is gambling the medical concerns are a bigger issue.

For the Milliner crowd, he too had medical concerns. In the end, Lombardi decision is take the healthy athletic player trusting his coaches can make it work.

Next year Lombardi needs to find better players than Shamarko Thomas in the third and Montori Hughes in the fourth. I'm thinking it may take a whole Saturday afternoon this fall to make that happen! BrowŸs already have better QB's than any available in the fourth round. They traded a third round QB, so people are saying get a fourth or fifth rounder as a replacement! How is that improving the roster?

For all you Shamarko fans, you do realize he was ranked 7-10 best safety. Troy Polamalu replacement...gosh I hope so! Last year full back was the critical area. I guess the make or break position this season is free safety!! What will it be next year long snapper? If these are the biggest areas of concern, Browns would have more than 5 wins every year.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks for the reads...I love these Bozos n Draftnicks all I got to read to know they are idiots is...Why did we take Mingo when we already picked up KRUGER...ummm really like we only play football on ONE side of the field...are these guys joking??? That Kruger solved our inefficient pass rush??? Amazing what these guys come up with...oh we didn't take a QB

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Back in '07 the Giants won the super bowl, in large part because they had 4 legit guys that could get pressure.. they had 3 guys with more than 9 sacks and Kiwanuka who was young and disruptive....

All of these guys keep saying we didn't fill our needs.. none of them suggest who we should have taken at 6 to "fill a need"... many of them, I even wonder if they have watched enough of the Browns to know what our needs are.... my guess is most look at stats, see what the national media says, then parrot that.

I especially like the ones that say our defense wasn't the problem last year, our offense was and we didn't address the offense.. we have JT, we have a 1st round center playing well, a 2nd round RT playing well, 2 2nd round WRs playing pretty well, a 1st round QB and a 1st round RB, all drafted in the last 3 years... other than possibly TE, where were we supposed to go at #6?

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Kiper came right out n said we should have taken Eifert...yeah I'm sure we would have been praised for selecting a TE at #6... Kiper = seasonal Bozo lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Kiper came right out n said we should have taken Eifert...yeah I'm sure we would have been praised for selecting a TE at #6... Kiper = seasonal Bozo lol

But the last time we took a TE at 6 it worked out so .... well .......

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

But the last time we took a TE at 6 it worked out so .... well .......

To be fair, that guy was on his way to becoming one of the best pass catching TEs in football before he got hurt and the wheels fell off (pun intended)...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Who the hell wants to be fair?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your 2013 Cleveland Browns NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard