Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
B
For as much as some complained about how bad this QB class is, its only getting worse next year in terms of a potential browns QB. as we saw with our smaller QBs you have to have some kind of size to play in the AFC, looking at next years guys i counted 1 over 6'2 225. ONE. sure you have guys who are fun to watch like Miller, Manziel, Mariota and Boyd because they can run and throw but out of those 4 Mariotas probably the only one with the arm strength to play in Cleveland and he's only 6'4 195! Boyd's got a strong arm but the dudes 6'0 tops, very likley 5'10-5'11.

When you look at next years QB FA class its just as bad, the only guy IMO who would beat out Campbell or Weeden for a top 2 spot on the roster is Cutler and he's not hitting the market.

i think its clear We are going to build everyspot but QB next off season again, build a complete team then look for our QB 2 years down the road someone ready to come on to a great team and lead them.

if we were to need to take a QB the only guys i would be happy with are Mariota if that kid can put on 20 pounds at least this college season, or Braxton Miller because he's the most physically built out of the bunch at 6'2 225, but he's too much of a runner IMO

if we are taking QB be ready for the Cam Newton offense folks not the Derek Anderson offense after this year

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

For as much as some complained about how bad this QB class is, its only getting worse next year in terms of a potential browns QB. as we saw with our smaller QBs you have to have some kind of size to play in the AFC, looking at next years guys i counted 1 over 6'2 225. ONE. sure you have guys who are fun to watch like Miller, Manziel, Mariota and Boyd because they can run and throw but out of those 4 Mariotas probably the only one with the arm strength to play in Cleveland and he's only 6'4 195! Boyd's got a strong arm but the dudes 6'0 tops, very likley 5'10-5'11.

When you look at next years QB FA class its just as bad, the only guy IMO who would beat out Campbell or Weeden for a top 2 spot on the roster is Cutler and he's not hitting the market.

i think its clear We are going to build everyspot but QB next off season again, build a complete team then look for our QB 2 years down the road someone ready to come on to a great team and lead them.

if we were to need to take a QB the only guys i would be happy with are Mariota if that kid can put on 20 pounds at least this college season, or Braxton Miller because he's the most physically built out of the bunch at 6'2 225, but he's too much of a runner IMO

if we are taking QB be ready for the Cam Newton offense folks not the Derek Anderson offense after this year

Logan Thomas fall of the place of the Earth or what?

B
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
B
Quote:

Quote:

Logan Thomas fall of the place of the Earth or what?

yeah he did, he went back to school for a reason, got a 6th round draft grade. highly inaccurate and bad decision maker

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
this was a historically bad QB class...

this is probably the one move (or non-move) that i actually agreed with the front office.

and did someone bring up logan thomas as a possible draft pick next year????

holy moly, that kid can't complete a forward pass...

someone will emerge, and if (or when) weeden fails this year, we'll be in position to take them with the #1 pick.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
B
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
B
Quote:

this was a historically bad QB class...

this is probably the one move (or non-move) that i actually agreed with the front office.

and did someone bring up logan thomas as a possible draft pick next year????

holy moly, that kid can't complete a forward pass...

someone will emerge, and if (or when) weeden fails this year, we'll be in position to take them with the #1 pick.

its not about emerging, its about the lack of size and arm strength from alot of the top QB names next year. you can emerge all you want, still have to have pretty good size and arm strength to play in the AFC North and this offense

P
Legend
Legend
P
I am soooooooooo glad we did not take a QB this year ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I'm not going to debate next years draft just yet, but there are a whole host of QBs out there at 6'3" 220 or better that could break out next year....

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
it's the only bright spot of this draft. I am not a fan of weeden at all but there was no one we could draft that would even present much of a challenge for his job in this years draft.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
You can really never tell for sure about a future draft class. Last year people told me that this year would be a great QB draft. It didn't turn out that way. Every QB had significant flaws.

I can see people wanting to draft a developmental guy, but how often do those guys work out? Besides, we already have a 3rd QB that I like as well as anyone in this draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'd say you are in the minority. I am very happy we didn't cloud things up by selecting a QB.

I am very happy to head in to next season with Weeden, Campbell, and Lewis.

I understand some of you dislike Weeden. Cool. What isn't cool is to toss him out before he is given a full shot at reaching his ceiling.

We'll know most about Weeden by game 4-5 and almost all by game 8. By that point we will see that strides have been made or not. If not, then we will know what we have to do.

And contrary to what you think, next years QB class looks to be a very solid class.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Last year people told me that this year would be a great QB draft.

Yep. A polished Landry Jones and a seasoned Barkley were assumed to be sure bets. What a difference a year makes!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

it's the only bright spot of this draft. I am not a fan of weeden at all but there was no one we could draft that would even present much of a challenge for his job in this years draft.

I can think of several that could have challenged him for the job. Manuel, Glennon, Landry Jones, and Dysert are all 6-3 or better with strong arms. All of them went to better positions than the Browns. Manuel will be the starting QB in Buffalo. Glennon is in Tampa Bay and will probably sit a year before starting. Landry Jones goes to Putzburgh and will be the rapist's heir apparent. Zac Dysert goes to Denver to become Peyton Manning's heir apparent.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not a fan of Weeden, but I would rather have him than any of the guys you listed. I would have been okay if we had taken a late-round flyer on Dysert, but the rest do nothing for me other than upset my stomach.

I would have preferred going after Alex Smith to any qb in this draft. This draft was terrible for QBs and simply bad overall.

Legend
Legend
I'm trying to figure out if your not happy because we didn't draft a QB or that we didn't draft the QB you wanted. Which one did you want them to pick?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know if I would say it was bad, but it didn't offer many options if you weren't looking O or D lineman, and maybe corner.

There weren't a lot of elite corners for sure, but there were plenty of guys who can make a team and be pretty solid players.

No first round running backs. Has that ever happened? I am sure it probably has, but I can't remember a time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This draft was .... simply bad overall.

Hence my statement that this Draft was "bland" (with the obvious exception of the OLine). It certainly was lacking in star power...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Ahhh, I should have remembered. I am starting to slip.

Thanks!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I too am happy we did not take a QB. I think Brandon should be given a fair shot to run this new system which he should be more comfortable in. I think last years coaching staff had this kid going in different directions at the same time with a system he never saw before. At least we are building the rest of the team and have picks to make trades if need be.

Legend
Legend
I am completely ecstatic that we were smart enough to not waste a pick on a QB.

Backup QB's are a dime a dozen, and we have a few on our roster that could be slipped into that role already if they don't pan out as Franchise QB's.
So, why burn a pick if the QB isn't going to be a Franchise QB? Get other players and sign a few QB's as UDFA's... especially with how horribly weak this Draft class was at QB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Baddog used the term "Shurmur Fog" in explaining how difficult it would be to evaluate Weeden from last year's outings. The offense was inexplicable. I think we are going to see a different, much more accomplished QB this year in Weeden under Norv Turner's guidance. They are going to scheme to his strengths, instead of the opposite.

Legend
Legend
I'm thrilled we didn't take one - no QB in this draft class got me excited... even in the late rounds I wasn't all that excited about taking anyone (and since we traded away all our mid-range picks I guess the Browns weren't that excited about them either)

<><

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
CBS lists Bridgewater at 6'3" 220.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I can think of several that could have challenged him for the job. Manuel, Glennon, Landry Jones, and Dysert are all 6-3 or better with strong arms. All of them went to better positions than the Browns. Manuel will be the starting QB in Buffalo. Glennon is in Tampa Bay and will probably sit a year before starting. Landry Jones goes to Putzburgh and will be the rapist's heir apparent. Zac Dysert goes to Denver to become Peyton Manning's heir apparent.

Manuel- mistake if he's the starter, not even close to ready
Glennon- man, i hope you are right about him in Tampa. Give me Freeman now, and we have our QB.
Jones- again i hope you are right that Pitt makes him the next QB. We WILL OWN them. He's terrible under pressure.
Dysert- he's just a third stringer at best, there heir apparent was drafted last year.

I just don't see anything here that would have helped the Browns. My pick for QB actually went to the raiders, and Wilson wouldn't have been ready for a few years either.......

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Baddog used the term "Shurmur Fog" in explaining how difficult it would be to evaluate Weeden from last year's outings. The offense was inexplicable. I think we are going to see a different, much more accomplished QB this year in Weeden under Norv Turner's guidance. They are going to scheme to his strengths, instead of the opposite.

I'm hopeful that Weeden shows improvement this year. One of the frustrations with Shurmur's offense was how he forced players into his scheme rather use their strengths. Weeden in the West Coast was a square peg - round hole scenario. Last year most of us coined Weeden DA 2.0. If Anderson can pull off hefty performances in Chud's offense, surely Weeden could do the same under Norv Turner. We'll see this year. If QB is a dire need after this season, at least Lombardi set up the opportunity to sell the house for a top tier prospect in next year's draft.

Oh, yeah, despite not being a fan of Weeden, I'm so greatful we didn't waste a pick on a QB this year!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I am not a fan of Weeden, but I would rather have him than any of the guys you listed.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Manuel- mistake if he's the starter, not even close to ready

Over what they have? Kolb. I think he has a legit chance of starting coming out of camp.

Quote:

Glennon- man, i hope you are right about him in Tampa. Give me Freeman now, and we have our QB.

We'd win 5 games again.

Quote:

Jones- again i hope you are right that Pitt makes him the next QB. We WILL OWN them. He's terrible under pressure.

He's got time to sit and learn like Aaron Rodgers did and in a few years, he'll be ready to go can carving up Browns defenses.

Quote:

Dysert- he's just a third stringer at best, there heir apparent was drafted last year.

They'll be competing and I think that Dysert actually has a bigger arm than Osweiler. Funny though that they took tall, big QBs in back-to-back drafts.

Quote:

I just don't see anything here that would have helped the Browns. My pick for QB actually went to the raiders, and Wilson wouldn't have been ready for a few years either.......

I liked Tyler Wilson also. The only QB that I felt wouldn't be an automatic upgrade was Geno Smith and he could probably have done the job.

D
Legend
Legend
D
j/c

I have no qualms in not taking a QB. We already have projects. Three of them, Weeden, Cambell and Lewis are all still projects IMO.

Besides, there are reports saying they were interested in Cards backup Hoyer, so something still may happen.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Regardless of whether or not Weeden is the guy, can the media please stop with the "the new regime doesn't like Weeden because they haven't said anything nice about him"?

They had plenty of opportunities to replace him with a QB. Maybe these drafted QB's aren't Andrew Luck, but if they hated Weeden, they would have had no problem drafting Manuel, or Smith, or whomever.

Maybe Lombardi didn't like the pick of Weeden at the time. Maybe his opinion changed during the year? Maybe Chud and Norv feel differently? Maybe their 2 opinions superseded his? Either way, I think they like him enough to let him have this year to prove himself. And that's actually liking him quite a bit.

I think we should all agree that he has this year and no more than that, to prove himself.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Regardless of whether or not Weeden is the guy, can the media please stop with the "the new regime doesn't like Weeden because they haven't said anything nice about him"?

They had plenty of opportunities to replace him with a QB. Maybe these drafted QB's aren't Andrew Luck, but if they hated Weeden, they would have had no problem drafting Manuel, or Smith, or whomever.

Maybe Lombardi didn't like the pick of Weeden at the time. Maybe his opinion changed during the year? Maybe Chud and Norv feel differently? Maybe their 2 opinions superseded his? Either way, I think they like him enough to let him have this year to prove himself. And that's actually liking him quite a bit.

I think we should all agree that he has this year and no more than that, to prove himself.

Great point! While I did not think this new FO wanted to marry theirselves to a 1st round draft pick I thought they would take a QB somewhere in the draft.

If they thought he was a waste of a roster spot they would have taken a QB somewhere in the draft.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Great point! While I did not think this new FO wanted to marry theirselves to a 1st round draft pick I thought they would take a QB somewhere in the draft.

If they thought he was a waste of a roster spot they would have taken a QB somewhere in the draft.

Yeah, I feel like Chud and Norv both see pretty much at the same eye-level, and I could see them telling Banner that they can work with this guy. Maybe he isn't the long term answer, but I think they feel like his good qualities fit a lot of the high points of this new offense. Big downfield throws, leaning on the run game, etc..

Gordon has a year under his belt, Little could come on better next year. The fact that Norv has come to town tells me the run game will improve. They added Bess via trade who could end up being an unbelievably good fit. Most of all they didn't add a legitimate threat to Weeden's job. Campbell is a backup and will take his job only if Weeden fails.

Basically, he has been handed every opportunity to solidify this job. If he plays bad, there are no excuses and I have no problem with them cutting the cord and drafting someone. I want an A or an F from Weeden.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Yes, but not only did they bring in Jason, but there are reports oozing about them being interested in Mallet and also the Card backup Hoyer, and who all knows who else they have been looking around at off people's roster - so this doesn't assure Weeden is in their best graces.

Weeden is on a short leash, as it should be with the way he performed last year. He's been handed the starting jobs, not earning them and has put in minimal work to show minimal improvement. This staff will at least have ZERO qualms with benching him and getting rid of him if he continues where he left off last season.

All JMO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I want an A or an F from Weeden.

Exactly. No question marks. I really hope by the halfway mark of the season, he's either on fire or Campbell is starting.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Not sure I agree ... regardless of his age, its his 2nd year, and his first in a new system. A solid B would represent big progress, imo. The lights aren't going to come on all at once. Also, what's available at QB in the 2014 draft will decide whether Weeden gets jettisoned after a merely "solid" season. OTOH, a great prospect might replace him even if he plays lights out.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure I agree ... regardless of his age, its his 2nd year, and his first in a new system. A solid B would represent big progress, imo. The lights aren't going to come on all at once. Also, what's available at QB in the 2014 draft will decide whether Weeden gets jettisoned after a merely "solid" season. OTOH, a great prospect might replace him even if he plays lights out.

You know what, you're right. I'd take a B. That to me would say that maybe he has a shot at being the guy for the future.

Although a Weeden B to us might as well be an A, for everything we've seen.

D
Legend
Legend
D
LOL, we wouldn't know an "A" at QB if it bit us in the butt.

Legend
Legend
I would love to see Weeden step up and show that he can be a legitimate player. We could still draft a "future" QB next year, maybe even a 1st rounder ..... and let him sit and learn for a year. If Weeden were to improve a great deal, then we could make a decision ...... do we keep both .... or do we keep one and trade the other? What a great "problem" that would be for us to have.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I would love to see Weeden step up and show that he can be a legitimate player. We could still draft a "future" QB next year, maybe even a 1st rounder ..... and let him sit and learn for a year. If Weeden were to improve a great deal, then we could make a decision ...... do we keep both .... or do we keep one and trade the other? What a great "problem" that would be for us to have.

Would Browns fans be able to have a 1st rounder sit though? I honestly don't think thats a possibility in Cleveland; however, I do agree with you. It would be an amazing situation to have the future of the franchise being groomed for once. I'd like to have our own Rodgers, without the rush and pressure to perform immediately under fire.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Or even have a Mallett/Cassell situation like the Patriots do. Have a young, talented guy around long enough so when/if he does have to play he is not a deer in a headlights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Dont agree with not taking a QB

Link Copied to Clipboard