Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#783384 04/29/13 10:53 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jets release Tim Tebow after drafting Geno Smith - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-...ting-geno-smith

The Jets have released quarterback Tim Tebow after drafting West Virginia's Geno Smith. The Jets are overloaded with quarterbacks now, and waiving Tebow is no surprise. The former Heisman Trophy winner was not in the team's plans, and he alienated himself from many teammates and coaches last season. He barely played, even in wildcat situations, after being acquired from Denver in 2012 -- a move many believed originated with owner Woody Johnson and not the football staff.

Last season's starter, Mark Sanchez, is owed about $9 million within 30 days of his release if cut, which explains why he is on the roster and likely will be for some time. David Garrard was signed as a free agent, but him staying healthy enough to even get through a training camp is highly in question.

Smith, drafted on Friday in the second round, will compete for the starting job, and Greg McElroy, who eventually replaced Sanchez for a spell last season, remains on the roster as well.

Tebow helped Denver reach the playoffs in 2011, but John Elway and John Fox did not view him as a sustainable proposition under center and signed Peyton Manning as a free agent. Tebow's tenure in New York was filled with drama but short on highlights, and his "people" have recently engaged in a passive-aggressive war of words through the media with quarterback Mark Sanchez's "people."

The Jets were desperate to trade Tebow -- they parted with roughly $2 million to Denver just to facilitate the trade in the first place -- but that was never a viable option as there is no interest and no one else wanted his contract. It's unlikely Tebow will garner much interest as a quarterback, but if he is willing to take on a fullback/H-back/tight end role, then his prospects of staying in the league would increase.

New England coach Bill Belichick, for one, is never shy about taking gambles, and he liked Tebow coming out of college. Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels drafted Tebow in the first round when he was coaching the Broncos. And the Pats enjoy getting some production out of a Jets castoff as well, with Danny Woodhead a recent example.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't even think about saying it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure if this phrase exhibits the same tone it did on the now defunct Browns message board, but....

We gotta get this guy

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Sanchez, then Tebow, now Geno Smith.... and the JETS STILL don't have a QB

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG #783388 04/29/13 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Don't even think about saying it.

Cut Marecic, bring in Tebow!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Now that gives them only 6 Qbs on their roster...

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not sure if this phrase exhibits the same tone it did on the now defunct Browns message board, but....

We gotta get this guy

This board is the first wave of defectors from the old board back in '06... it definitely has the same tone because "we" used it first

Browns is the Browns

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C

I hope he does well but, I'm pretty indifferent about him. If we signed him I wouldn't be upset, if we don't I wouldn't care...meh

Legend
Legend
Just no. No.

NO!

Talk about a fall. Winning a playoff game, talk of the league, traded to the Jets and then nothing. Now, maybe out of the league.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Guys we do need a fullback!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

We gotta get this guy

This board is the first wave of defectors from the old board back in '06... it definitely has the same tone because "we" used it first

Haha. Fair enough. I guess I didn't need the purple font then!

Tackles are tackles.
Arps #783395 04/29/13 11:07 AM
Legend
Legend
I would be infinitely irked if we signed him. He is a player whose value has never even remotely matched the hype and attention surrounding him, like Reggie Bush, but way worse.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
TMZ is all over this

Legend
Legend
I expect nothing less from them.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
OMG... how pathetic. ::smh::

Browns is the Browns

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I would be infinitely irked if we signed him. He is a player whose value has never even remotely matched the hype and attention surrounding him, like Reggie Bush, but way worse.

I would like to sign Tim Tebow.

To a minimum deal as a H-Back/TE. Chud/Norv have done TE-conversions before and Tim can run some goalline plays too.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Super Bowl MVP, Hall of Famer.

Legend
Legend
The best, Greenburg went off on the Jets this morning. Calling it a travesty for releasing him now. That they should have released him at the end of the season so he could have signed on a free agent in March or released just before the draft to allow a team to skip drafting a QB.

I kinda see it that way, but the Jets didn't know Geno was going to drop in their laps in the 2nd round. He did and now they don't need him. Ok, they didn't need him last year either, but let's skip over that fact.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

To a minimum deal as a H-Back/TE. Chud/Norv have done TE-conversions before and Tim can run some goalline plays too.

I don't see him being any better at TE than anyone we already have, and he's going to bring a whole lot of unneeded attention and drama with him. A team trying to put itself back together doesn't need that. JMO, but I'd HATE to see him signed here because I don't see any value in it at all.... just negatives.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C ... I am so happy I am not a Jets fan

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I think this is the only way he gets a job in the NFL. His QB days are pretty much finished IMO. Not saying the Browns should sign him or anything, but the kid needs to change positions to save his NFL career. But maybe that won't help him either.

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
I am infatuated with the multi-purpose guys. Guys who can play H-Back, RB, TE, even some WR. So, I see Tebow having potential in such a position.

Obviously, there is extra media-attention there and headlines to be had. I understand all who want to avoid it though I think our current coaching staff is strong enough to just laugh at any media/fan creation.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That's all well and good, and I totally understand that, but if you just compare him to this past draft class of TE's, he's shorter and slower than almost all of them... and some of these guys went undrafted.
He's a full 2" shorter than any TE currently on our roster, and he's slower than all but Gronkowski (same speed as Brad Smelley).

At this point, Tim Tebow is nothing more than a name and gimmick plays. He offers nothing, except hype.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I wonder if Tebow can return kicks ........

I wouldn;t mind looking at him as a TE .... but I think that he will have to get over his pride first. I bet that if a team wanted him to play TE/FB, he would say that he prefers to wait and see if he can get another shot as a QB instead.

I don't think that shot will be coming though.

I am interested to see if he winds up in Jacksonville if he agrees to play TE/FB. I'm not all that up on the Jags, but I can't think of a TE on their roster after Marcedes Lewis. He might be a natural fit there ..... if he agreed to change positions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

That's all well and good, and I totally understand that, but if you just compare him to this past draft class of TE's, he's shorter and slower than almost all of them... and some of these guys went undrafted.
He's a full 2" shorter than any TE currently on our roster, and he's slower than all but Gronkowski (same speed as Brad Smelley).

At this point, Tim Tebow is nothing more than a name and gimmick plays. He offers nothing, except hype.

This.

Signing Tebow and playing him at a different position than he is used to makes no sense when the Browns could have just drafted someone who's actually used to playing said position and possesses more impressive measurables.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The best, Greenburg went off on the Jets this morning. Calling it a travesty for releasing him now. That they should have released him at the end of the season so he could have signed on a free agent in March or released just before the draft to allow a team to skip drafting a QB.

Greenburg was going off about Tebow this morning ... it was near vomit inducing. Even Todd McShay came on and was like, "Why are we talking so much about a guy that wasn't even worth a 7th round pick??" (Meaning the Jets were holding onto him hoping to get a 7th in a trade, and couldn't)

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

This.

Signing Tebow and playing him at a different position than he is used to makes no sense when the Browns could have just drafted someone who's actually used to playing said position and possesses more impressive measurables.

Please do not let common sense cloud your judgment, we only accept irrational thinking around here.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hear what your saying Purp,, but if someone can find "THAT" role for him that lets him use his talents, that would interesting.

My guess is the Pats.. For the very reason the article points out.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Greenburg was going off about Tebow this morning ... it was near vomit inducing. Even Todd McShay came on and was like, "Why are we talking so much about a guy that wasn't even worth a 7th round pick??" (Meaning the Jets were holding onto him hoping to get a 7th in a trade, and couldn't)

In fairness to Tebow ..... he may be worth a 7th round flyer ...... but his contract is not. Is anyone interested in paying him over $2.5 million to see if he might be able to do something different? I doubt it. They might may him $300K, non guaranteed, though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
He should go to the CFL and sharpen his skills as a QB, or else learn a new position. He could still make a "decent" living ($100K?) and I would think those teams would welcome the attention he'd bring. Its not like he's not a good football player already, and he might get better. I could foresee a situation late in the season where an NFL playoff contender that lost their QB to injury might come sniffing around for Tebow.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I feel bad for the guy. If it wasn't for the Jets, he might have had a shot to catch on somewhere as a gadget guy. They picked him up for the headlines, and then just jerked him around the whole time he was there.

And then you have our crack media outlets. Those guys were going gaga over him before. The Tebow hype machine was entirely media driven. Now they're bagging on the guy like he's some sort of diva or malcontent. I hate these media clowns.

I feel bad for the guy, but I want no part of him, for the reasons stated above, which really aren't his fault.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

You can bet teams are staying away from him not because he can't play in the league (he can, just not at QB) but because of the media and fan circus he causes.

Until Tim Tebow comes right out and says he's no longer interested in playing QB, Tim Tebow won't get a legit sniff in the NFL. It's up to him to accept the fact he doesn't have the game to play that position. When he does and shows a true desire to switch to something he can do, like fullback or H-back, he'll start getting calls.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
How about a TE?

D
Legend
Legend
D
TeeeeeeeEEEEEEE-Bowwwwwwww... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ooooooooo.

Haha I miss when the announcers on NFL Network use to "sing" that. Good luck Tim. I really thought they were going to axe Sanchez instead.

Legend
Legend
I have no idea how good Tebow could be... the kid wins, that's hard to dispute. And unfortunately for him, and through no real fault of his own, this media circus follows him around which makes it hard to take him. And I don't think there is a coach out there that is willing to unconventional and design an offense for the guy... so I think he's about done in the NFL... I'm still not worried about him because he's going to be successful in whatever he does.

yebat' Putin
All Pro
All Pro
We're thin at Tight End. I still think he'd make a pretty good one. He's built like some kind of moose and is at least smart enough to stick around for a while as an NFL QB, that counts for a lot. Just say no to him as a QB. But as a projected TE?

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Chud and Norv are supposedly tight end wizards, so Tebow might fit into here. We've still got issues at TE and Marecic at FB. I would have no problems auditioning Tebow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he would make a better FB than TE but just signing him even to play FB/TE would create issues the Browns don't need. Every reporter would be asking when Tebow will get a chance at QB. If/When Weeden has a bad game again reporters (and fans) would only be asking about when is Tebow going in. No chance we sign him in any capacity.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I think he would make a better FB than TE but just signing him even to play FB/TE would create issues the Browns don't need. Every reporter would be asking when Tebow will get a chance at QB. If/When Weeden has a bad game again reporters (and fans) would only be asking about when is Tebow going in. No chance we sign him in any capacity.

He'd have to swear off playing QB no matter where he goes. That experiment has failed.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not signing him simply because of the media issues he brings isn't a good idea either.

If we find a role for him that he wants and will make us better, I don't care about the media.. They'll quiet down in time. Especially if he works out well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tebow Cut by Jets

Link Copied to Clipboard