Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
With the NFL draft out of the way...I'm starting to look more and more at the upcoming NBA draft and wanted to know your thoughts on who should the start for the CAVS next year at the 3.

Gee...I like his game, but he is not a starter in this league...he is a come off the bench/high energy type player that can be a spark of that second team (which should include Waiters for quarters 1-3, but don't get me started on that here).

So...the way I look at it is either they upgrade through the draft, free agency, or trade. I'm going to rule out the trade option just because I like what we have built through the draft and don't see us trading our young talent for a savvy veteran 3 (maybe Granger, but injury issues concern me).

So...via free agency, would you want to sign one of the following:
Josh Smith
Andre Iguodala
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Matt Barnes

Of this list, most fit Mike Brown's defensive philosophy with the exception of Josh Smith...Is he too much of a liability on the defensive side/locker room presence to go after?? Remember, the others would be the 2nd/3rd option depending on who is on the floor.

Then we can go the draft route, if this is the case, I would rank them:
Otto Porter is by far the top SF prospect in the draft............but what if we get the 4th pick and he is off the board?? (I would go Len and then a Euro player (Giannis Adetokunbo) or Tony Mitchell with our 2nd first round pick)

Or do we take...
Bennett....(can he play the 3??)
Muhammad...(did not like what I saw from him this year when I watched UCLA games)
Anyone else???

I hope the draft holds true and we can take Porter with 3 and then come back with some way of landing a center that will protect the rim (Gobert/Dieng....I would rather these guys with a high upside over Olynyk, Adams, or Withey)

or

Land Iggy and take Len with our first pick (unless we get 1 we would have to take Noel) and package our picks to trade up on someone who falls.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It sure looks like Otto Porter would be the square peg, square hole guy for the Cavs.

He reminds me of Kawhi Leonard except he does everything a little better.

Just a really solid pro for a long long time.

I hope we get him!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
My problem with Otto is that he needs muscle. He strangely reminds me of Jeremy Lamb, except taller.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Josh Smith
Andre Iguodala
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Matt Barnes

One of the worst things the Cavs can do is overpay for a free agent like Smith, Iguodala, or Kirilenko. All of those guys will be passed their prime by the time the Cavs are ready to make their run.

The Cavs should just take the best player available when they draft.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
IMO if we don't take Otto Porter, we have to take Anthony Bennett and hope he can play the 3, many think he can, I think so to.

The Cavs have to get a 20+ scorer a night at the SF position. The Cavs have to start winning or we are looking at another re-build when Kyrie leaves.

With the 2nd first rounder I hope we take Tim Hardaway Jr or Jamaal Franklin.

With our 2nd's I hope we take Brandon Paul and the best PF/C that is left. Again I can't stress enough, we have to start winning NOW!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith
Andre Iguodala
Andrei Kirilenko
Corey Brewer
Matt Barnes

One of the worst things the Cavs can do is overpay for a free agent like Smith, Iguodala, or Kirilenko. All of those guys will be passed their prime by the time the Cavs are ready to make their run.

The Cavs should just take the best player available when they draft.

I agree with that. I do think that coaching will help this team a great deal next year. I was never a big fan of Byron Scott ..... but did think that he did a decent job with Irving and Thompson. However, one thing that really finished Scott for me was how we made the big trade and got Ellington and Speights ...... and those guys came in like a house on fire defensively. The longer they were here, though, the worse their defense got. That tells me that it just wasn't a priority.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
The worst thing they can do is give any of those guys a max contract. See what the open market does. If any of those guys are available at a reasonable rate, I'm sure they'll consider it.

Chris Grant is a pretty smart guy and hasn't done anything drastic to date, and it seems like Dan Gilbert is letting him do his job.

I would much rather keep the cap space for the possibility (and it's only that) of getting Lebron next year and/or using that space to maybe land a good player via trade.

It's really tough for the Cavs to land a top tier free agent. NBA players in general just don't want to play there. I mean whatever, but the only way you would get some of these guys is if you grossly overpay for someone.

What the Indians did was pretty sensible. The guys they brought in are solid players, not superstars or anything like that. Just good solid moves that they used with the money they got back from past deals expiring. I don't even think the Cavs can do something like that as it stands. Lebron is the one exception, because of his ties to the area, and I don't think he cares about location. Miami has great weather, but he doesn't go there if Wade and Bosh aren't going with him. Lebron is going to opt out in 2014, and he's going to wherever the best situation is.

I'm hoping Irving gets better and gets over the injury bug, Thompson keeps improving. Waiters gets settled in, and the rest of these guys find their role. After that maybe Chris Grant can work some kind of deal before the deadline whether that be this summer or during the year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

most fit Mike Brown's defensive philosophy with the exception of Josh Smith...Is he too much of a liability on the defensive side

what? Josh Smith is excellent on the defensive side of the floor. his main issues have been that he is an inefficient scorer and that because of his rare size+skillset he is likely to command a maximum contract.

82games.com says that from the SF spot, opponents had a 8.9PER vs. Josh Smith. League average is 15 (he played more PF, which is not his natural spot IMO and there opponents had a 17.3PER....14.9PER from Center).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't want to see a max deal this season at all. I don't see the value there.

If we can add another high end player or 2 in this coming draft, and a couple of useful pieces, (like Ellington and Speights, only at a reasonable rate) then we might find ourselves very attractive to a free agent looking for a team that he can win with. However, even if we can't attract that kind of free agent, we can still grow the talent we have ... and I think that we have some nice talent already.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I don't want to see a max deal this season at all. I don't see the value there.

If we can add another high end player or 2 in this coming draft, and a couple of useful pieces, (like Ellington and Speights, only at a reasonable rate) then we might find ourselves very attractive to a free agent looking for a team that he can win with. However, even if we can't attract that kind of free agent, we can still grow the talent we have ... and I think that we have some nice talent already.

Definitely, and it leaves you flexible for the future. I really think our best chance at a good player is through a trade. The Lebron thing is fine and dandy but I'm not banking on it. If I'm the Cavs, I leave myself that option but I am not sitting on it.

Legend
Legend
Plus, the good thing is that we'll know about Lebron at just the right time.

We don't have to sell out in hopes of him coming back home. The Cavaliers can continue with their building plan, and if Lebron returns, then great. If not, then they have a nice young core, and a lot of assets to trade for the future.

I wonder if we might not see Grant try to trade the 2 seconds this year (with non-guaranteed deals) for another future 1st round pick? Maybe trade the 2 seconds and take back a bad 1 year deal for a future 1st? he is the master of that kind of deal.

Should be an interesting year this year and next.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think he almost has too. Do they have roster spots available for all these players? What is it, 4 picks this year?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think he almost has too. Do they have roster spots available for all these players? What is it, 4 picks this year?

yes, and they are all relatively high picks with the 2nd rounders being early. I imagine he will first try to trade up from the Lakers pick, but, if he fails that, then he will explore what else he can do with at least 1 of those 2nd rounders.

one thing he might be able to do is trade both for a pick in the 20s (contending team that doesn't want to have a guaranteed deal for someone - easier to stash foreign players, etc. with the 2nd round picks).

I think we have the room to add 3 rookies (at the very most), but he'd probably prefer just adding 2.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

IMO if we don't take Otto Porter, we have to take Anthony Bennett and hope he can play the 3, many think he can, I think so to.

The Cavs have to get a 20+ scorer a night at the SF position. The Cavs have to start winning or we are looking at another re-build when Kyrie leaves.

With the 2nd first rounder I hope we take Tim Hardaway Jr or Jamaal Franklin.

With our 2nd's I hope we take Brandon Paul and the best PF/C that is left. Again I can't stress enough, we have to start winning NOW!!!

Anthony Bennett scares me. He's got better foot speed than Derrick Williams, but I don't know if it's good enough.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Who starts for the Cavs at the 3 next year??

Link Copied to Clipboard