Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawgs4Life #787017 05/18/13 07:50 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

I agree with everyone about our lack of talent at Guard. It is one of the biggest weaknesses on the team, and while I'd rather have a great LT and RT than great Guards, it is still a concern.

I'm of the opinion that we MUST upgrade QB (via 1st round of draft), G, FS, and CB before we become competitive in our division.

No one in the division has near the OL we have but we have to upgrade to be competitive? I don't get it. No playoff team has above average starters at every position. If you add a QB we are more than competitive instantly.

kwhip #787018 05/18/13 09:51 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We WILL be looking at BOTH Guard spots in the future. And when we find a LG that can actually PULL. And a RG that can actually get some PUSH. Richardson will run wild all over the place.

You mean like what Tennessee did? Signing Levitre in free agency and drafting Warmack?

Quote:

In our Guards defense. I'm one who believes the difference we will see between Shurmer's pathetic version of a WCO and what Chud and Turner bring to the table will be night and day. How much brighter remains to be seen. The jury's out on Pinky and Lava.

I think this is true. Scheme might help the guards somewhat. I guess we'll find out what they are able to do. I hope that they are given short leashes though. We can't be putting in too many losses before we finally yank the chain on them.

Quote:

This bears watching all year long. We didn't have anything even close to what we have now back in 07. And Lewis ran all over the place.

We had an incredibly weak schedule in 2007. It was a ridiculously bad slate of teams that we faced. We weren't all that great either but they turned out to be even worse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think our coaching improvements should bring us at least 2 wins (just on coaching). If the team picks up the scheme quickly, the number of wins could increase by more than 2 and we might even have a shot at the playoffs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It's amazing how many people overrate Lava Man. I ain't backing down on the footwork thing.

The guy has his good points. He has a very strong upper body. He can really lock you up once he gets his hands on you. He does have a nasty streak. He is a hustler and plays until the whistle blows---sometimes after--LOL. He is good in tight spaces.

He also has some weaknesses. His footwork is awful. I can't believe we are even debating this. He ends up on the ground on a high percentage of plays because he can't keep his feet under him. He really struggles w/gap blocking because he can't explode on the angle block. If he is in space, he will get juked and beat. He does get more than his share of penalties.

I am not saying he stinks, but man, you guys are killing me w/this footwork thing. IT'S AWFUL!!!

I have no problem w/the coaching staff moving guys around at this time of the year, but he won't be starting at LG. No way. His feet simply won't allow it.

tab-------the article Vambo posted did say that Campbell clearly outplayed Weeden on Thursday. Read it again.

Purple----we will have to see. I am thinking that the coaching staff is high on Gipson. I could be wrong. I am obviously speculating.

I am going to have to agree with the Lava man assessments. I don't see how people are rating him so high, he was one the weakest links on that line and needs improvement (and more than just footwork), IMO, to float in the boat as some people seem to be putting him in.

As I said before, good energy, nice physical attributes but..........

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why would I bet about whether or not Lauvao starts at LG? He will be starting at guard and it may be right or may be left. I wouldnt move him to left because he and Schwartz appear to finally have some chemistry together. Only a couple communication mistakes between the two all year and that is fantastic.

I wouldnt do it, but Chud might.

As for penalties, the number of times he should be flagged vs. the number of times he is flagged are pretty freaking different. It is probably 4 or 5 times a game, I am sitting in chat and someone says, damn Lauvao was lucky he didnt get flagged. They are correct. Some guys get away with more stuff than others. JOe thomas has the reverse michael Jordan rule. He gets more crap penalties on him than any guy I have seen.

Anyway, I think Lauvao is one hell of a guard and he is one of the reasons why I feel this is a solid top 5 OL.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Vers I do respect your opinion even if we disagree. So I went back n re read the article posted by Vambo.

The title did in deed suggest that Campbell out played Weeden - just words from a Bozo as I stated QB controversy is what people read.

In Doersuck's assessment he states definitely had better sessions than Weeden.

But in the play by play descriptions there was one error by Weeden no discussion on any more than the beginning INT. I don't see any such same assessment from the Coaches.

"Campbell's clearly bigger than Brandon Weeden. He made (third-string passer) Thaddeus Lewis look like a shrimp," wrote Doerschuk, who added that the seven-year veteran passer "definitely had better sessions than Weeden" on Thursday. Campbell displayed a strong, deep ball on long strikes to receivers Travis Benjamin and Jordan Norwood.

I don't trust Bozo's at all - cause I have read play by play accounts n it only had Weeden making one mistake - he also had thrown 2 long connections as well.

My question also is we know its reported that Campbell is with the #2's can we also assume that the Defense was looking at their # 2's as well. We all know the depth at CB drops a lot compared to that of WRs.

I just don't trust Bozo's especially when a QB controversy is so strong for their industry. As noted the Bozo's in Tampa are suggesting that Glennon is out playing Freeman n trying to get a controversy going there. Its what Bozos do.

Lava...I don't expectyou to back down its not what you do. You do however state MY BAD if n when during the season it is not so. I too cannot back down on what I see. I wrote this in the Gilkey thread but I think that forum will be purged soon.

Do I think I know more than you regarding OL? We both know OL is one of the easiest evaluations to make - why they are the most successful draft picks made in top 50.

I believe you saw what you saw...I do think I have looked at Lava a little more closely not do to some infatuation of him but simply cause of multiple extreme negative claims on him when in my Eyeball of the game didn't come away with that assumption so I would go back more than once and break down each play watching it several times to come away with my conclusions. So I won't go through a debate with you on who knows OL play more...not the issue I think I have looked into Lava at more depth than you have. Why I have a more positive view of his play.

This also is some of my opinion. I believe the LG position is the more difficult of the OG positions. I see the run game key regarding the LG position. Teams more n more seem to live on running left I think that is so cause there is more D personnel on that side that has more positive traits for the Pass game then Run D...usually the Run D guys seem to be on the right side. Also because of that I see teams who run successfully to the right do so with a big contribution by the LG pulling to trap or simply turn up into a hole n take out a LB filling that hole. Last season I saw failure after failure from Pinkston n then Greco in that trap pull or power pull.

Now is it possible that Lava who was injured in Training Camp as a rookie n wasn't available till we were into it so that he didn't start at a position he appeared to be winning as a rookie. RG - is the easiest position to transition into on the OL. His 2nd season ES was to be our LG n Lava RG...Pinkston was a late fill in for ES as he went on IR just before the season started. He wasn't great but didn't embarrass himself.

I think last year Lava progressed more than the previous 2 seasons and has arrived. He is clearly the best OG in our camp. Because he has made his bones I think possibly we would like to cement him into the more difficult role of LG. To improve our Run Game. Leaving the RG position open to competition as it is the easiest for a young OLman to transition to.

I this just a temp lets see n tinker?
Is this how Warhop sees our OL getting stronger.
Is this us locking down 4 links to our chain - leaving our search for the more easier transition position on the OL RG?
Is Greco just a band aid - in case one of the rookies does not step up n win the chance to play at RG?
Will Gilkey or even Faulk be able to impress there when hitting starts?

Or is this just a simple - HEY LETS SEE how versatile these guys are in OTAs where not a lick of hitting is done to get serious about OL?

I think all these questions will be answered in Camp. I hope we got a lot of dawgs going to camp to see what where n how they are doing.

Actually I am shocked how many Lava supporters are on this board compared with the Other. I think you have seen what you have seen. I'm not quite sure if you have seen the improvements he has made in his game including his footwork. I'm sure there will be mistakes and like OL has a tendency you don't notice him till there is a mistake n when you watch the replay you are disappointed with his footwork as a contribution to the mistake. I understand how you can come up with the OPINION you do have on him without insulting you and saying....no no you are wrong. I actually can see you being right just that I have been able to (or if you prefer forced to) look at him in much more depth...not keying on him on a lot of plays when I watch...but instead looking over the tape again n again until I see the complete circumstances of the play on the field.

Possibly that is why we see Lava so differently - Usually our football we see is very similar. But this is one of the rare ones where we observe very differently. I really am looking forward to Lava manning the LG position. Not at all a mistake. I believe in Warhop if it is so (Lava to LG) I understand perfectly why the move is being made...I think our coaches value Lava a heck of a lot more than some on this but especially the other board did.

As always JMHO but OL is a passion for me I love any discussion on it.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #787022 05/18/13 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

5 biggest takeaways from OTAs

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the Browns’ first week of organized team activity practices:

>Davone Bess is a tone-setter. The wide receiver the Browns acquired in a trade with the Dolphins during last month’s draft is making a huge impact with his ability to consistently get open from the slot and to catch everything thrown his way. But Bess’ off-the-field contributions are equally impressive. He has established an immediate veteran leadership role at a position that sorely needed it. His work ethic and professionalism are great examples for Josh Gordon, Greg Little, and Travis Benjamin to follow. Bess also is imparting his considerable football knowledge on quarterback Brandon Weeden, who has frequently talked Xs-and-Os with the wide receiver since his arrival in Cleveland. And it seems the younger receivers are feeling a sense of urgency to step up their respective games because of the way Bess performs.

>Josh Gordon looks like a beast. He is much bigger and stronger than he was as a rookie last year, especially in his arms. He also seems more explosive athletically. While tightly covered on one pass route near the sideline Wednesday, he managed to leap high in the air, grab the ball with his outstretched arms, and come down in bounds. He also made a one-handed grab of a low throw by extending his arm for what seemed like several feet. A couple of scouts looked at each other and said, “Did you see that?”

>Barkevious Mingo appears to be every bit with exceptional athlete that the Browns and many other NFL teams thought he was before the draft. The outside linebacker the Browns selected with the sixth overall pick of the draft moves with tremendous speed and fluidity while rushing the quarterback and dropping into coverage. Although there is plenty for him to learn, Mingo seems to do things without He showed off his man-to-man coverage skills in impression fashion Thursday.

>Fullback Owen Marecic has added considerable upper-body strength. He is one of many examples of players clearly benefitting from the intensive work they’ve done during the offseason with new Browns strength-and-conditioning coach Brad Roll.

>It’s great to see offensive guard Jason Pinkston back on the field after his harrowing ordeal when he developed a blood clot in his lung that shortened his 2012 season. Since being medically cleared to participate in workouts last month, Pinkston has been easing his way back into action. And he looks as if he is on a strong path back to competing to win back his starting job from John Greco, who has held the No. 1 spot at left guard since Pinkston’s illness. Pinkston told a moving story about learning he was medically cleared on the same day that he became a father for the first time. His baby girl, Martha Jane, is named after his late mother.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chudzinski 'couldn't be happier' with progress

By Matt Florjancic, Staff Writer

After going through the first week of organized team activities and seven weeks of offseason workouts, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said he “couldn’t be happier” with the progress the team has made.

The Cleveland Browns completed their first week of organized team activities and seventh week of the offseason program with Thursday’s practice, and in talking about the players at the 2013 Cleveland Browns Foundation Golf Outing Friday, head coach Rob Chudzinski was pleased with the work put they have put in.

“I can’t be happier with the progress that we’ve made,” Chudzinski told the participants in the golf outing. “We’ve got a long ways to go. We’ve got a lot of work to do, but we’re excited about things and the direction things are going.

“The offseason program, I’ve really been excited about that. Our turnout, and the players’ commitment has been outstanding. That started April 1. We went through the process of the meetings and getting a chance to be with them in meetings, install our offense, our defense, our special teams packages, get some time in the weight room with them, some time out in individual-type sessions where we can be on the field with them.”

Chudzinski said the team had a good offseason with the additions to the roster through free agency, the 2013 NFL Draft, and a trade during draft weekend. This week, Chudzinski and his coaches got to see players he described as “people that we want to have in the locker room” compete against each other during OTA practices.

Per the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, in the early part of the offseason, players are not allowed to participate in on-field drills, and only attend meetings and strength-and-conditioning workouts. In phase two of the program, the players can go on the field with coaches, but cannot compete against the other side of the ball.

Organized team activities are the first time players can compete against each other.

“We’re really looking to see what guys can transfer from the meeting rooms to the practice field and the execution, that’s the primary thing that we’re looking for as we continue to evaluate the guys on our team,” Chudzinski said. “We’re looking for the execution to really start improving.”

Chudzinski said one of the best things about this time of year is taking a group of 90 players and nearly 20 coaches and turning them into a team that will kick off the 2013 regular season against the Miami Dolphins at FirstEnergy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns, on Sunday, Sept. 8.

“We’re a roster right now, and from a coach’s standpoint, we get to start building the team,” Chudzinski said. “It’s one of the most important processes as part of a team and being a team, building that attitude and accountability to each other. That’s what we’re working on right now, and that’s what we’ll continue to work on through the rest of OTAs, through minicamp, through training camp and into the preseason.”

Chudzinski, a native of Sandusky, Ohio, about 70 minutes west of Cleveland, also said he is “excited and honored” to coach the Browns, and has a desire to turn around the fortunes of his hometown team, especially after sitting on a plane next to Bob Hartley, a season-ticket holder since 1987.

“He had kidney stones, and he was telling the story of how he was in the hospital and it was Sunday morning, and he was bummed out because he was going to miss the game,” Chudzinski recalled. “All of his buddies came to the hospital and made him check out with the kidney stones and go to the game, so his streak continues to this day.

“It reminds me of the passion, the dedication, the commitment of our fans, the fans of the Cleveland Browns and what special people you are. It brings us back, and brings me back to what our commitment is to this city, to this organization: to bring back a winner to Cleveland, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Chud's Happy Place

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Carucci is like a Staff Reporter for the Browns organization.

No mention of Lava at LG Possibly just tinkering around I guess

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I forget where I saw it, but one reporter said that Sheard had one of the quicker first steps he had seen in a Browns camp in a long time ...... and that Mingo made him look slow by comparison.

I have to admit that I cannot wait to see Mingo actually go full out in a Browns uniform in a real game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's what Chud said in his presser, he referred to Pinkston as not quite in shape yet, and that they were moving guys around just to check them out at different spots.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am EXTREMELY excited to see our pass rush this season. Sheard, Mingo, Kruger, Phil T, Rubin & Winn... everyone always fresh? Oh yeah... It could be very scary. Good stuff.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Don't forget Ward and Skrine coming in on rushes too. Horton will line up and send corners and safeties too. Skrine may lack coverage ability, but he's a monster from what I've seen when attacking. Very quick.

The rush could wreak nightmares for any offense with the players you listed. Who wouldn't be excited to see this compared to Jauron's conservative play calling? If our secondary can hold up, I think the front seven is going to be a bees swarming around a bee hive. I think we'll see lots of one or two step drops from offenses trying to get the ball out before getting punched in the mouth!

GMdawg #787029 05/18/13 10:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sorry bro I'm not trying to be an ass here....

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
eotab #787030 05/18/13 01:18 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
lava sucks.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lava sucks is a favorite quote from those trying to blame guard play for either colt sucking or Richardson dancing.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

I forget where I saw it, but one reporter said that Sheard had one of the quicker first steps he had seen in a Browns camp in a long time ...... and that Mingo made him look slow by comparison.

What?????

That would make question Mingo if true. Either that or Sheard seriously improved his instincts.

Legend
Legend
OK ... either I'm confused, or missed a joke somewhere.

Sheard has a fairly explosive first step.What does that have to do with instincts?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
First step partially relates to instincts, at least IMO.

And I seriously have no idea how someone could think Sheard has a better first-step than Mingo. Mingo has one of the better first-steps I've seen.

Legend
Legend
That was the point. Sheard has one of the best first steps a Browns player has had in quite some time, and Mingo makes him look slow by comparison. (In other words, Mingo is even quicker than Sheard)

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
lol, I totally I misread the quote. My bad.

That's the second time in three days I've done that.

Legend
Legend
No problem. I went back and re-read it about a dozen times and was sure that I had communicated it right ...... but then I started wondering again....

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

lol, I totally I misread the quote. My bad.

That's the second time in three days I've done that.

What kind of powder is that you have there blue???

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
eotab #787039 05/18/13 10:22 PM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
eotab, as you may remember I was one who was very critical of Lavas play since he started at RG, you and I argued back and forth about Lavas play a few years back. I have to say that something clicked with Lava this past year. I don't know if it was due to another year of experience or the fact that he is playing next to a legit RT, but Lava played well and looked much better last year.

In all honesty I think the right side of the line outplayed the left side last year, at least in my eyes it did.

Even back in the days when I was criticizing Lava I always praised him for his aggressive play, it was more about his penalties that drove me crazy. Again, last year Lava cut down on his penalties and still played just as hard as he has and at a much higher level.

Lava at LG is interesting,but I like him and Schwartz on the right side. Gilky(sp) is also interesting, he has the size and strength to be good, but as we all know size and strength are not the only factors in becoming a solid starter.

eotab #787040 05/19/13 07:37 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, nice reply. However, are you sure you are reading what I wrote? Sometimes, it's like many of you get bent out of shape if there is even a little criticism directed at someone you are defending.

I wrote my own scouting report on Lava on the other board. It said pretty much the same things I am saying here. You agreed w/me when I wrote that.

Has the guy suddenly found Fred Astaire feet?

The guy has his strengths and weaknesses. Both dictate that he plays RG. We'll see.

MrUniverse #787041 05/19/13 07:40 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

In all honesty I think the right side of the line outplayed the left side last year, at least in my eyes it did.

Oh brother.

This is the danger when people defend a player to extremes. Other people get things in their mind and the truth is skewed.

I have to get off this topic before I go crazy.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I try not to get bent out of shape...I do sometimes when somebody insults me instead of Discuss with me...assume that was directed to somebody else.

In regards to your report. End year or beginning year?

I remember agreeing that you saw what you saw but sometimes you assess that as a final trait. I do remember agreeing with one thing specifically and that was your assessment that Lava goes to the ground. But I also added that its not from him being over powered its from his drive being so violent that when the DL/LB leaves his block (he can't hold) he falls to the ground. As far as his feet. It has IMPROVED is my claim. Your assessment really hadn't changed on him. I saw a lot of improvement.

Btw his holding is usually when he goes n pancakes a guy and they are falling down they go n grab Lava n take him down with them...n the dumb Zebras throw the flag on him Due to that I actually teach my OL to forgo the pancake and to make a final punch as they escape to the ball n keep their feet n continue to the next level.

What I find disturbing in your assessments is your claim that Greco is the best OG? or would that be only between Pinkston n him. I find Greco terrible not in getting there but in finishing his blocks once there. He got thoroughly Bull Rushed in pass blocking n when he pulled to the right side on runs he got ran through. There is a reason why Greco doesn't win a starting job from Warhop's assessment. Now supposedly several Browns have benefited from our Eastern Bloc Strength coach (hope it ain't Juice) - Greco I thought had strength problems...he reminded me so much of Stokes. Got in good position but could not finish/hang power wise. Goal line his battle went backwards. Especially your penchant for toughness I was shocked at your praise for him??? Anyways its hard to discuss much without seeing n OTA is nothing really to evaluate on OL I'm sure the coaches aren't but wish to get certain understandings with the new O - walk throughs.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #787043 05/19/13 08:34 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm done w/the Lava thing. Can't take anymore. Did you freaking read Held's post in the Draft forum? Kissing my feet? WTH!!!!

Greco? I thought the guy was another stupid signing by Heckert. I had no prior knowledge of him and thought we were in big trouble when he had to play last year. Well, I admit that I was wrong. Heckert did a good job by bringing that guy in here. The OL immediately improved when he was inserted in the line-up.

tab, I want my LG to be athletic. I want him to have good feet. I want him to area block on the back side. I want him to pull, trap, and gap block. I want a guy who can get to the second level. I want my RG to be stronger. A mauler. A nasty individual.

I thought that Greco was outstanding in his agility to do the things a LG needs to do. I don't agree that he got driven back in pass blocking. Weeden took--and had--all day to throw for most of the year. Defensive players are paid to sack the qb. Heck, even our defense got some sacks. Greco was awesome in pass protection. Did you notice what happened when Miller was inserted into the line-up. Two sacks on back-to-back plays by the same exact move.

I think our OL is pretty darn good. I know that our record sucks, so we don't get the recognition, but I think our OL is top 5. They could be better at run blocking, but if TRich stops dancing so much and becomes more decisive when hitting the hole, that criticism will fade away.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Heldawg??? Did you read my response? I have no clue what that has to do with me n my discussion on OL. I come here to discuss football stuff. That's between you n Held...don't Ignore me for it.

Greco? Heckert? actually in all honesty I think that was a Shurmur request (came from the RAMS) not to fuel your Anti-Heckert fire...lol Cause our OL became an OL under Heckerts building....Never did we have an OL. 3picks out of 3 years n all starting. Until injury.

LG...I understand the prototype - I wanted us to draft Long for our LG. But I don't know if this LG w/Lava was just a little looksee - I'm confused cause nothing can be assessed w/OL without HITTING being done.

But if that is the case its cause Lava is the real deal...a lot more athletic than you think.

I thought he had good footwork (Greco) as noted my beef was the strength even you recognize it w/Bull Rush failure. Yes, his pass blocking position was very good. I gave him credit. He just couldn't Anchor that well. A must for Interior OL Pass Blocking.

Miller...means nothing, I and most dawgs saw he sucked...don't understand what that has to do with Greco, I've never stated Greco Sucks just are weakest of the 3 interior although I got him equal with Pinkston I can go either way. As for the gel...due to Greco??? Or just a natural timing of gel for me more to do with Schwartz getting his bones n coming a long. In 3-4 Ds Greco benefited with nobody on him n he has good feet to get to the 2nd tier n seal. We faced a lot of 3-4 after he took over the position. 2 games w/Steeler n Ravens + . Its his one on one battles that I cringed at from time to time.

Greco is not bad neither is Pinkston. I think Lava is much better than the two. We do have a good OL. Best ever if you ask me. We can upgrade but I've mentioned before that it is not as easy with these 3 (Pinkston, Greco n Lava) as some think. A lot of talk about our Interior being bad during draft talk. Including Greco. I think we got a good Interior. Just for me the weak link if we got one is LG. In this new era I think the key position for the run game. It is where I saw negatives in regards to the OL n our Run Blocking.

JMHO - We use to have discussion about BUMS (yes Miller played like a BUM last year) now we actually are having discussions about a real OL - thank you Heckert...lol bazinga

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He constantly get pushed back on passing plays and just flat out gets beat often.

That statement is as false as the one about the penalties

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Don't forget Ward and Skrine coming in on rushes too. Horton will line up and send corners and safeties too. Skrine may lack coverage ability, but he's a monster from what I've seen when attacking. Very quick.

I'm a big fan of the corner blitz as well... gonna be fun to watch pressure coming from everywhere... and from our defense for a change.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Really? You flip out because of one sentence? What about the previous year? How many penalties?

Look, I didn't make a big deal out of it. At least not enough to get that response from you.

Mourg: I'll tell you what. Let's put some type of wager on whether or not Lava Man starts at LG this year. I really can't believe people are arguing w/me about his feet. Seriously. It is so obvious. It makes me wonder about other comments you guys make. Comments that I just used to believe.

Saying that Lava has good feet, though.........

Sorry bro I'm not flipping out this is calm lol 2011 10 penalties 2 more than Thomas in Shawns first full year as a starter. I expect to see less than 8 from him this year BTW I just get fired up when people start screaming about all his penalties, then others spread that garbage around like it's gospel when it's just not true

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
eotab #787048 05/19/13 09:51 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought Pinky was coming on strong down the stretch as a rookie and then last year, wow there was just something wrong with the kid. He was horrible. Then the blot clot issue came to the surface .

When Greco came in, the bar was set so low that he had to look like a superstar considering how bad Pinky had been. He played well. I still think he is the weakest link along the line but if he is starting at LG, I dont have a problem with it.

If no change is made to the line, I think we are top 5 maybe top 3. If someone can take the spot from Greco, that is a good thing. I see more than serviceable from the guy. Nothing special but he isn't going to be a reason why you lose a game but at the same token, I dont see him as a reason you will ever win a game either.

Gilkey is a very intriguing prospect. He has power and when he locks on, someone is getting burried. I dont see a great deal of athleticism but I like his hands and I like his bend. I think he could come in and steal someones job.

Pinky, I dont know. I liked the kid coming out but he was atrocious last year. The medical concerns are real and they are very scary. He is going to be in a real battle not just for a starting spot but also a roster spot. If everything medically is fine, the kid can be a good guard but I dont have any confidence with him right now.

Great guard play and healthy TRICH

Mourgrym #787049 05/19/13 11:41 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Gilkey is going to be my dark horse pick. Maybe not this year, but I think he'll start. I just like his ferocity and from what I've seen, he has really good feet. Keeps them constant churning to gain leverage agains his opponent. Plays through the whistle and even blocks past the sideline...lol.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Quote:

Quote:

Oh brother.

This is the danger when people defend a player to extremes. Other people get things in their mind and the truth is skewed.

I have to get off this topic before I go crazy.

vers, I was not defending anyone to any extreme, just pointing out what I thought. I will never say Lava is a top 5 RG in the league because we all know he is not, but as I was saying I thought he played much better last year than he did in the past. Lava is a legit starter, he is young, he has the size and strength to be very effective and until last year he has always played next to slop.

No way could anyone say the the combo of Lava and Schwartz was not much better than anything else this team has fielded in a long time.

Would I welcome a better RG? Absolutely I would welcome an upgrade to any position, I just don't think RG is a problem I think Lava held his own and think the focused search should be directed to LG.

MrUniverse #787051 05/19/13 07:54 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm sorry, Mr. Universe. You are a good guy. I was just irritated by the other posts that claimed Lava had good feet. I dare any of them to find one scouting report to say he has good feet. I researched it after Held posted the Combine numbers and they all said the same thing. The same thing that I have been saying for years. Not one comment on that. Just more BS!

Your comment about the right side being better than the left side put me over the edge. Sorry. Like I said, you are a good guy and were simply voicing your opinion. My apologies.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since you are on a streak of being WRONG, I think the streak continued with saying the left side outplayed the right last year. Its a trick question because Pinky sucked so bad and Joe Thomas was injured early on and damn if Miller didnt come in and look stupid trying to block anyone. The right side was more consistent and overall had the better year.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
The skinny – The Browns held their first OTA with both rookies and vets this week. Over the next three weeks the Browns will hold practices Tuesday through Thursday and the media will only be allowed to view the final day of each week. The team has also instituted “media reporting guidelines” which prevent us from telling the fans about trick plays, who played with which units, and how many reps players were taking. Essentially we can’t tell you anything you really want to know. Here is the best of the rest though…

Tempo, tempo, tempo – Since the very first time Rob Chudzinski spoke with the media in Cleveland as a head coach, he was preaching fast and aggressive football. Thursday’s practice certainly lived up to the billing. Neither Shurmur nor Mangini ever had a practice this fast paced and competitive.

Chudzinski did however have an element of Mangini’s program: Loud music. The music played as a soundtrack to an intense two hours of team drills. Mix in the yelling by players and coaches and it was quite an entertaining afternoon.

The QB pressure comker – I had been told that Brandon Weeden did not look very good through the first two days of OTAs and this was confirmed on Thursday. Weeden himself admitted this was his worst day of the week. He struggled to find the open read on many throws, missed a few open receivers and had multiple miscommunications with his wide outs.

Jason Campbell didn’t look much better. While Weeden throws a better ball, ampbell seemed more comfortable finding the correct read. Once he found that read, however, he did not consistently deliver the ball in a place that led receivers away from the defender. It was a rough day for the QBs.

It is unwise to read too deeply into the third day of OTAs but I certainly wasn’t the only one who noticed the poor play. Just hours after practice ended the Browns reportedly agreed to a 2 year deal with quarterback Brian Hoyer. Hoyer, who Browns’ GM Michael Lombardi has previously said he thought could be a starter, will compete with Weeden and Campbell.

“I think Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett are starters. I’ve said this many times: If I would have taken the GM job of the 49ers, I would have gone after Brian Hoyer, because I think he has all the traits and characteristics. If I were the Cleveland Browns, I’d rather have Brian Hoyer behind center than Colt McCoy. I think he’s got all the traits you need, in terms of leadership, toughness, the arm strength, the ability to move the team.” – Michael Lombardi with WEEI Boston on December 9th, 2011.

It remains to be seen exactly what job Hoyer will compete for. Will he challenge Campbell for the backup role or will the entire thing be an open competition? At the very least this move improves the overall talent of that position on the roster.

Not only does this mean the end of Taddeus Lewis’ tenure in Cleveland, but it also presents a challenge to Weeden mentally. The team refrained from drafting a QB which led everyone to believe that Weeden was “the guy” moving into this season. But as Lee Corso so obnoxiously says, “not so fast my friend!” Hoyer’s signing sent a clear message to the rest of the quarterback room: There will be competition at ALL positions.

The bright side – Whoever ends up as the quarterback of the Browns this season (for the record I still think it will be Weeden) will have a pleasant surprise. The wide receiver corps not only looks like it is NFL caliber, but it looks, dare I say, dangerous. Greg Little and Josh Gordon look confident and fluid in their routes and more aggressive to the ball once it is in the air. They will give any defensive secondary fits with their size and speed.

“No doubt about it,” Weeden responded when asked if he has seen progression in the duo. “Not only what they are doing out here on the field but just the way they are walking through the building, studying and all those other things. They have taken the next step. They are playing faster. I think they have a lot of confidence in this system and the routes they are running. It’s exciting for me.”

Devone Bess, who the Browns acquired in a trade with Miami, is the easiest player to spot on the field. If someone told you to point out who has made a career on moving the chains on third down, you could do it in less than five plays. Bess has a knack for finding the open part of the field, runs some of the cleanest routes I have seen in my time covering the NFL, and made whoever covered him look silly time and time again.

Secondary is the primary concern – After the draft, fans and media were ranting and raving about the fact that the Browns only drafted a 5’9” cornerback in Leon McFadden when they had so many other perceived needs. We will have to wait one more week to find out about Mcfadden because he is still finishing up school at San Diego State but we now know who will start at free safety. It’s Tashaun Gipson for the time being.

Gipson looked good too. He will be left to cover the deep part of the field by himself most of the time because TJ Ward is moving into a role that closely resembles that of a fifth linebacker. With Ward playing near the line of scrimmage and blitzing, Gipson was the sole insurance past Joe Haden and Buster Skrine (who got the start as the second CB with McFadden still not in camp). Not only did he hold his own but Gipson actually snagged an interception when Weeden tried to fit a ball into double coverage deep down the sideline. Eric Hagg and Johnson Bademosi were the backups.

I didn’t think it was possible but Haden looked better than I have ever seen him. He was absolutely dominant on his side of the field and only saw one reception against him. He broke up multiple passes and blanketed whoever he covered the entire day.

That first step is a doozy – On the first day of training camp two seasons ago I marveled at Jabaal Sheard’s first step. He was so explosive off the snap that it stood out above and beyond anyone else in his position group. Now that he is an outside linebacker, his first step is highlighted that much more. He is able to start his rush from the standing position and can use his speed to try and beat the left tackle.

Unfortunately for Sheard, his first step was not the most impressive in camp. His backup, Barkevious Mingo, was everything he had been billed to be. He made Sheard look slow. He exploded toward the line of scrimmage like a sprinter out the blocks in the 100 yard dash. Both he and Sheard did not look very comfortable when they dropped back into coverage however.

Time for the next step – One of the staples of the Norv Turner’s offense is the tight end. The Browns have shown a lot of faith in Jordan Cameron by not bringing in a legitimate contender for the starting spot. The Browns need to see more from the young man.

There is no doubt he has the physical attributes but once the ball is in the air he doesn’t seem to win the fight as much as you would like. Cameron has improved his route running but will need to adopt the company mantra of “aggressive” more frequently if he doesn’t want new competition when other teams cut down their rosters.

http://espncleveland.com/common/page.php?pt=browns&id=172

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks for sharing kwhip...nice article.

Until for a brief moment it strayed into Bozo speak about Hoyer who hasn't thrown a pass n certain assumptions are being made on his role in competition.

For the most part good reporting on the stuff that was happening out there.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting the article.. this is what I wanted to hear about.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

“I think Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett are starters. I’ve said this many times: If I would have taken the GM job of the 49ers, I would have gone after Brian Hoyer, because I think he has all the traits and characteristics. If I were the Cleveland Browns, I’d rather have Brian Hoyer behind center than Colt McCoy. I think he’s got all the traits you need, in terms of leadership, toughness, the arm strength, the ability to move the team.” – Michael Lombardi with WEEI Boston on December 9th, 2011.

....and this doesn't even crack the top 10 of ridiculous Lombardi "evaluations" as an NFL.com "analyst". I'm sure at least the 49ers fans are very happy he was not their GM, lol, so somebody give me a good reason as to why ANY Browns fan should have faith in this guy and his "evaluation skills"? Anyone?

As low as I think of McCoy's talents...he got traded for a 7th, Hoyer was cut by a team with not even one future QB hopeful and cleared waivers through the league.

Me thinks Banner shut Lombardi down yet again (thankfully), but when Hoyer cleared waivers he gave him his "toy", so that the "lightning rod" finally stops begging for "his" QB

Let's see, Lombardi saw "starters" in Henne, Gabbert, Pat White, Mallet and Hoyer and he hated Weeden....hmm, with his track record I like Weeden's chances to become a legit starter even more now

Considering his track record overall and until proven otherwise I have little to no confidence that any pick we make will turn out to be good as long as this guy is our GM...that does include the whole 2013 draft class. They can win me over, but I'm not holding my breath and I won't be faithful with no reason for it

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mini camp articles...

Link Copied to Clipboard