http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp...&mode=video

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Check out "Kipnis scores game-tying run" video

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp...&mode=video

Ha ha ha, now I know what you meant.

That game was 99.999% over.

Thanks for not paying attention during the base covering drills in Spring Training dude.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Gomes needs to stay on the major league roster. Marsen should be worried right now.

I'll bet you that Marson is very much worried.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I like Gomes and Marson. I don't think Santana is a major league catcher. Marson was our best throwing catcher before his shoulder injury, gets in front of balls Santana only reaches for, plus he really calls a good game behind the plate. Santana, imo, is a DH.

Dave #787424 05/20/13 11:30 PM
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Marson cannot frame and has only thrown out eleven of the last eighty-two runners without hitting to make up for it.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I kinda like the way they have it set up now. If Reynolds can hold it down at 3rd, that sets up so many good options.

It's been a while since we have had this kinda depth. That's what happens when you bring a legitimate proven manager to town. People want to play for him. I don't think it was ever about the city when guys didn't want to play there. It's about money and winning.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Looking forward to watching the Tigers series, it should be good, the Tigers have to win even though its early, and the Indians have a point to prove, by the way, my Giants "finally" played a good game ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

Beyond the fact that this team is playing well and each day someone new is delivering the necessary production, they have the most flexibility and depth on this roster that I've seen in awhile.

Swisher can play 1B, DH, RF, LF.
Santana can play C, 1B, DH.
Reynolds can play 1B, 3B, DH.
Rayburn "could" play every outfield position.....so could every current starting outfielder.
Aviles can play any infield position and the outfield corners.

Heck some of our reserves are better than our starters last year, hands down.

The amount of versatility in this lineup day-to-day is mind boggling and Francona has the ability to plug and play guys when facing any pitcher,lefty or righty, or based on statistical history, or to weather injuries/day of rest and they won't skip a beat.....It's amazing.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/21/13 10:58 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC

Beyond the fact that this team is playing well and each day someone new is delivering the necessary production, they have the most flexibility and depth on this roster that I've seen in awhile.

Swisher can play 1B, DH, RF, LF.
Santana can play C, 1B, DH.
Reynolds can play 1B, 3B, DH.
Rayburn "could" play every outfield position.....so could every current starting outfielder.
Aviles can play any infield position and the outfield corners.

Heck some of our reserves are better than our starters last year, hands down.

The amount of versatility in this lineup day-to-day is mind boggling and Francona has the ability to plug and play guys when facing any pitcher,lefty or righty, or based on statistical history, or to weather injuries/day of rest and they won't skip a beat.....It's amazing.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Last year we actually relied on guys like Casey Kotchmann, and Jason Donald, and Lou Marson, and Shelly Duncan, and Jack Hannahan, and Johnny Damon, and Aaron Cunningham, and Russ Canzler, and Brent Lillibridge, and Matt Laporta ........

We didn't just sign these guys as pieces ..... they were core players.

What a difference a year makes.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

We didn't just sign these guys as pieces ..... they were core players.

What a difference a year makes.

It's so weird to see such a different approach in acquiring players from 2012 to 2013 with the same ownership and front office. I mean, we spent $114 million in contracts. That was more than the NY Yankees.

Gotta love the SportsTime Ohio deal, I guess. The interesting thing moving forward is how the team approaches future contracts. History tells us they try to lock up the young-ins early before they possibly make it on the scene....Hafner, Victor Martinez, Sizemore, Carlos Santana, etc. Heck, even Belle, Baerga, Lofton, Thome all fall with that similar mold as well. I call it the "John Hart in a Mid-Market Theory". It surely trickled down to Shapiro and now Antonetti. But this offseason approach was very different. Maybe Antonetti is adding some personal flavor in this process.

Either way, my point is what will happen with all this potential youth after so much money was given to the long-term contract of vets like Swisher and Bourne? Most recent rumors have the Indians targeting Brantley and Kipnis for long term deals. What about Masterson? McCallister? Heck, dare I say Jimenez?

I know arbitration is still available to the aforementioned players before Jimenez but I think this team will gamble on a few more large contract with the young guys before they play themselves out of a deal a few years from now...I guess if this team continues to win, how much is ownership willing to pay?

Tackles are tackles.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

I really want to get enthusiastic about this team. They're playing spirited baseball, everyone is finding a way to contribute, and we seem to be quite consistent. Although we've seen this happen the past few years. The depth of talent is much better this year, though.

A few different parts about this team prevents me from fully endorsing this run. I feel a bit weird cheering for a team which uses an offensive caricature. I'm awaiting for the inevitable collapse this team has shown the past few seasons, too. I also wonder how long we can keep these guys all together. Sabermetrics be damned because there's no reason why a major league club should have to flip its best players. Bring me a salary cap and I'll start paying more attention to the MLB.

Legend
Legend
I think that we'll see some players receive qualifying offers so that we recoup draft picks if they leave via free agency. That is a huge difference in free agency now.

There is also a new national TV contract that increases the revenues for all teams. Add in the bonanza that the STO deal and the new FoxSports deal brought to the Indians, and it's really helped turn around the financial prospects of the Indians.

As a side note, I do wonder what will happen to STO once their Indians contract expires, and Fox can move the Indians games back to FoxSports? I wonder if they will continue to operate STO, or whether they will just shut it down? The only reason they bought STO was to get the Indians games back.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I think that we'll see some players receive qualifying offers so that we recoup draft picks if they leave via free agency. That is a huge difference in free agency now.

There is also a new national TV contract that increases the revenues for all teams. Add in the bonanza that the STO deal and the new FoxSports deal brought to the Indians, and it's really helped turn around the financial prospects of the Indians.

As a side note, I do wonder what will happen to STO once their Indians contract expires, and Fox can move the Indians games back to FoxSports? I wonder if they will continue to operate STO, or whether they will just shut it down? The only reason they bought STO was to get the Indians games back.

The STO thing is a good question and honestly I have no idea. Televised games on STO have Fox Sports Ohio as a logo. Not sure what other relevant shows were on STO. Bruce Drennan? There was some Browns programming I think. Not sure if it's there anymore. Cavs games were on Fox Sports, right? They must have been cause I got them down here in Cincy.

I gotta stop poking fun at local Cleveland media/personalities. I'm sure some of them poke their heads around here from time to time.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/21/13 05:20 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I noticed the FoxSports logo on during the Tribe games.

STO has a lot of Browns programming, but I'm sure that those programs could be moved over to Fox without too much trouble. Maybe they'll just make STO into "Fox Sports Ohio 2" like ESPN 2? Who knows?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I would like that idea. Maybe this sounds silly, but I always liked the fact the STO was a "Cleveland Only" sports programming channel. Like the YES network for the Yankees and other similar stations within larger markets. It was nice that I could say that about the Indians...the ball club owned their own TV station within our market constraints.

I like the Fox Sports 2 idea a lot. Keep it in the family...the Only Cleveland Sports family, that is.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It would seem to make sense to me on the outside ..... but who knows if it will make sense to the powers that be at Fox?

M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

Two big games tonight and tomorrow with rival Detroit, then

Another 4-game set @ Boston through the weekend, then

Another 4-game set (split home/away) with the Reds.

I feel like this team hasn't had a couple days off in awhile (not in a row of course, but in totality)...hence, the constant lineup changes as of late. Either way GO TRIBE!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
This next two weeks is a big challenge, especially after a long stretch of games. I'm not a tribe fan, but I've been watching them and have been impressed with their resolve and togetherness. Tito brought some energy.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

I know its early, but just like Verlander last week, they are making the Detroit pitchers make a lot of pitches early. Not a bad approach...

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Tough game tonight. Well, all we have to do now is go beat Verlander tomorrow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For some reason Verlander has a time time with the Tribe. I can't say as I'm too upset .. hehe

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Great approach with Verlander so far. He's already used 55 pitches in less than two innings! Make him work and punish the bull pin! Let's go Tribe!!!!

#gmstrong.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Never mind...... Jimenez couldn't throw one in the ocean if he was standing in the water

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Unfortunately, Ubaldo has had a horrible game tonight ........ he's at 6 ER through 2.2 innings, and he has 2 on.

Oh, and he's 3-0 on the next hitter.

Well, at least he finally got the 3rd out. Rough outing for Jimenez so far.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Like I said earlier in this thread, we need to get more than 5 innings out of him. And.... We definitely need to get more than 3.....

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Maybe we'll get lucky and get rained out before 5 are in the books.

Legend
Legend
Well, so much for that idea. lol

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This game has been excruciating to watch. I bet it goes to overtime just to prolong the suffering.

37 turnovers. 50 fouls.

Adam_P #787448 05/23/13 02:52 AM
Legend
Legend
It was pretty foul all right

Legend
Legend
Nice to see the Tribe bounce back in a big way tonight. Nice job by Scotty Barnes tonight in relief, and McAllister had another quality start.

How about 12 runs and no HR .... for a team that usually mashes their way to big run production.

I like tonight's outcome much better than the last 2 games against the Tigers.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How about 12 runs and no HR .... for a team that usually mashes their way to big run production.

I read that it was the first time since 1953 they scored 12 runs without a homer. That's way back. I don't like it when they say, "...it's the first time that happened all the way back since 2010." Really? I have underwear older than that. Don't bring out the "all the way back" unless we're talking at least a decade, maybe more.

But yes, good win.

Didjaknow, at the time of this post, the Indians league the league in homers?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I was pretty sure they still did .... but I wasn't 100% sure.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm not sure that I have underwear newer than 2010.

Do thongs count?

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #787453 05/24/13 12:57 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do thongs count?

If you consider thongs underwear, then yes. I'd be more concerned if someone had edible underwear older than 2010.

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Do thongs count?

If you consider thongs underwear, then yes. I'd be more concerned if someone had edible underwear older than 2010.

they are wrapped in the same plastic as fruit-by-the-foot for preservation. I think they are just fine. I mean, they would be just fine.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Indians up 4-3 bottom of the 7th.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #787456 05/25/13 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pestano is trying to knock the green monster down. 3 doubles in the 8th off the green monster. Tribe down 5-4. Men on 1st and 2nd 2 outs.

Jester #787457 05/25/13 04:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Pestano is headed to the DL soon. His fastball is only hitting the upper 80's

Jester #787458 05/25/13 05:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GAme over 7-4 red sox win

Jester #787459 05/25/13 06:55 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
What most of us thought would be the strength of this team - the bullpen - has been a bit of an Achilles Heel. It just goes to show you; (quoting Joaquin Andujar) "youneverknow" is the biggest word in the English language.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tribe Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard