DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: no_logo_required Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 01:40 PM
well, that is the 1st place Tribe. taking 2/3 from Detroit + KC starting their decent was enough to get the Indians into 1st place.

hey, if Ubaldo can keep out-dueling Verlander all year....

(ok, kidding, but just another example of how crazy of a sport baseball can be)
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 01:44 PM
We're heading to Progressive Field on Friday. I can't wait to see these guys play live!
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 01:58 PM
Quote:

well, that is the 1st place Tribe. taking 2/3 from Detroit + KC starting their decent was enough to get the Indians into 1st place.

hey, if Ubaldo can keep out-dueling Verlander all year....

(ok, kidding, but just another example of how crazy of a sport baseball can be)

If Ubaldo keeps this up, look out.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:03 PM
*knock on wood* (My head)

Ubaldo has had 3 pretty good outings in a row for the Tribe. In those 3 outings, he has gone 7, , 5 2/3, and 6 innings, has allowed a total of 10 hits, 3 earned runs, 6 walks, and has struck out 20.

I don't remember this good a stretch last season. He did have back to back solid games last year, but I don't remember 3 good games in a row.

When Francona was signed, he said that he didn't think that Jimenez needed a complete overhaul, just some better mechanics. Who knows .... maybe he was right? Our pitching coach has kind of taken Jimenez under his wing, and even went down to the Dominican Republic to work with him in the off-season. Maybe all of that faith and hard work is starting to pay off?
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:15 PM
Quote:

*knock on wood* (My head)

Ubaldo has had 3 pretty good outings in a row for the Tribe. In those 3 outings, he has gone 7, , 5 2/3, and 6 innings, has allowed a total of 10 hits, 3 earned runs, 6 walks, and has struck out 20.

I don't remember this good a stretch last season. He did have back to back solid games last year, but I don't remember 3 good games in a row.

When Francona was signed, he said that he didn't think that Jimenez needed a complete overhaul, just some better mechanics. Who knows .... maybe he was right? Our pitching coach has kind of taken Jimenez under his wing, and even went down to the Dominican Republic to work with him in the off-season. Maybe all of that faith and hard work is starting to pay off?

Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:16 PM
Not sure what they did with him, but he's locating it better and keeping the velocity up. Maybe it's unfair, but I'm still waiting for that other shoe to drop with him. I hope he keeps it up.

I thought McAllister did an unbelievable job yesterday despite not having his best stuff. Kept them in the game. Got out of some tough situations. I really think that's where Tito and his staff are playing the biggest role.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:31 PM
I'll have to watch some of the replay, but Ubaldo was really striding to his left as he delivered the ball. If they got him to stride more toward the plate that would fix some of his issues with the ball floating right and high. It would also help keep his velocity up. Anybody notice if this has been corrected?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:41 PM
McAllister has been very impressive so far this season.

7 starts, and a 2.68 ERA. That's impressive so far. He hasn't given up more than 3 earned runs in any start this year. He has gone at least 5 innings in every start so far. He has limited the walks. He has also suffered from up and down run support. He has lost games when the Indians have scored 0, 3, and 4 runs .... and won a 1-0 game, and yesterday's game 4-3. That's 5 of 7 starts with 4 or fewer runs in support of his pitching. Without checking, I think that is probably the worst among Indians starting pitching.

I did check Jimenez. He, by comparison, has received 3(W), 6(L), 2(L), 5(W), 9(W), 7(W), and 7(W) runs in support.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 03:42 PM
His velocity isn't near what it was 3-4 years ago. He use to throw around 98mph, I think he is topping out around 95mph but is consistently around 91/92mph. One of his problems the last few years is he was trying to reach back and throw it 98mph and in an effort to throw harder he was not locating the ball. They have been working on him locating the ball and trusting the 91mph fastball, and right now it looks like it is working.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 04:00 PM
Chisenhall to AAA.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:28 PM
McAllister has been our most consistent SP. Both last year and the start of this year. I don't think he'll ever be an ace, but he's a Jake Westbrook type of consistent good performing SP when we desperately need one.

And, if Ubaldo/Masterson come back into form this year and Kazmir rebounds to have a good year while Bauer develops and McAllister continues to take steps forward, then every single Indian's fan will have to get to know the name Mickey Calloway (our pitching coach)
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:32 PM
Quote:

Chisenhall to AAA.

Heard his mustache was sent down to Lake County.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:43 PM
Quote:

Chisenhall to AAA.

Wow... he had such a good spring. I thought there was a chance that the light had gone on for him. He has really struggled early on though. You never know in this game, I guess.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:45 PM
I sure hope the Tribe plays the Yankees or Red Sox soon, I'd like to watch a game on television.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:49 PM
Quote:

I sure hope the Tribe plays the Yankees or Red Sox soon, I'd like to watch a game on television.

they are playing the NYY on my computer screen right now (don't know what the TV schedule is for either of these games)
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:49 PM
They play a double-header vs. the Yanks today. Maybe the second game will be on national TV? Masterson has another gem going in the first game (3-hitter through 6). Of course, we aren't scoring many runs for him at the moment. 1-0 bottom of six though.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 05:53 PM
7th inning stretch time and the Tribe leads the Yankees 1-0.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:22 PM
Masterson got absolutely filthy to finish off Suzuki. That pitches broke so hard in and down that Suzuki had no chance.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:25 PM
I have it on the radio. Hamilton about busted a gut calling it (as he is want to do). LOL
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:26 PM
Oh it was vile. That ball broke like it was metal and a magnet was dragging it in and down.

Suzuki had no chance.
Posted By: Flap Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:34 PM
What a game by Masterson!
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:35 PM
woohoo! 118 pitches FTW
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:35 PM
Masterson finishes off a real gem, winning the 1-0 shutout.

He allowed 4 singles, only 1 left the infield. The one that left the infield was some strange situation where Cabrera appeared to lose the ball somehow.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:39 PM
This was THE best outcome for the Indians resting the bullpen in a double header and Thursday being the next off day.

Things are really going well for this club.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:40 PM
Quote:

Heck yeah. If Masterson and Jimenez keep pitching as well as they have been then we are a contender for the World Series this year.

Anything can happen and still a long way to go but I am liking what I am seeing so far.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:41 PM
1 run scored enough for Masterson. I like it.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:47 PM
Great pitching performance, also with a little help from his defense ...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:48 PM
I always love seeing the Yankees lose ...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Heck yeah. If Masterson and Jimenez keep pitching as well as they have been then we are a contender for the World Series this year.

Anything can happen and still a long way to go but I am liking what I am seeing so far.

McCallister has been pretty good too ... JMHO
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 06:51 PM
Quote:

This was THE best outcome for the Indians resting the bullpen in a double header and Thursday being the next off day.

Things are really going well for this club.

That goes a long way in the clubhouse when you can save your bulllpen like that.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 07:25 PM
Man, not a good start to today's game. There should be 3 errors so far. You can never assume the 2nd out of a double play, but a good throw turns 2 to get the first 2 puts of the inning ....... and there should have been a double error on Santana on the play at first base.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 07:50 PM
oh man, I should have paid attention to the start time. I shut down my mlb.tv after the 1st game just figuring the 2nd game was tonight.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 07:51 PM
Quote:

Man, not a good start to today's game. There should be 3 errors so far. You can never assume the 2nd out of a double play, but a good throw turns 2 to get the first 2 puts of the inning ....... and there should have been a double error on Santana on the play at first base.

Santana can't play first.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 09:19 PM
some really questionable balls and strikes in the 7th...
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 09:27 PM
bummer.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 09:35 PM
Quote:

bummer.

I think that should be Hagadone's nickname
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/13/13 11:45 PM
He's got to be sent down shortly. Huff stays as long man until Pestano comes back on Friday. Bauer goes down and you call up an extra bat for the NL series.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 04:39 PM
I thought Bauer got some really bad calls in last night's game. I remember them showing a replay of nice fat curveball that dropped right in the strike zone that was called a ball . Unfortunately, until these young guys can show some consistency, the Yanks and others will get the benefit of those calls. Very encouraged with Masterson, though
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 04:58 PM
Yeah, I thought that Bauer got hosed on several calls too.

I am concerned about Hagadone. He did pretty well until his last 2 appearances. In his 1st 10 appearances, he gave up a total of 2 earned runs. Then he gave up 3 earned runs in each game, (7 total runs) in just a total of 1/3 of an inning. Ouch.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 05:01 PM
I thought there were some really inconsistent calls in the A's series, also. Good thing that the one really badly blown call was for us.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 05:06 PM
Lack of run production bothers me ! One run in two games ?
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 05:19 PM
I think we'll be alright, Water. Even the teams in the 90's struggled to plate runs in some stretches. They relied on the pitching to help them out of the slump. I think Swisher and Reynolds are all or nothing. Meaning they will produce a lot with every at-bat or swing at bad balls and strike out. We need to get those first 3 and last 3 guys on base for the middle of the order to be effective. But, 1-0 wins ball games, too.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 05:34 PM
I think that we're going to have a lot of 5-10 run games ...... but we're also going to have a lot of low scoring games as well. We have a lot of all or nothing type hitters ..... and that leads to a lot of all or nothing scores.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 07:26 PM
I've watched Bauer's starts since he has pitched with the Tribe this season, and it seems in all of his starts he is getting squeezed!

Is it cause he is a rookie?

Is it because of his antics, and the umps are trying to keep it in check? If so that is ridiculous.

He is a good young stud pitcher, hope he can control himself on the mound, there was a couple of pitched yesterday where you could tell he really wanted to say something to the umps but held his tongue.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/14/13 07:43 PM
it could be his delivery and the amount of different pitches the throws. he may be throwing the umpires off balance as well as the hitters with them.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 01:42 AM
Well crap... This can stop any time now. Lead off triple and nobody can put a ball in play?? Pathetic.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 01:39 PM
after the week and a half we had with the bats, they were bound to cool off. i'm more concerned with Kazmir's pitches being flat again (he has had velocity in all his starts, but in Houston and last night, the ball came out flat)
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 06:38 PM
what is up with these balls and strikes? Come on!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 06:39 PM
Quote:

what is up with these balls and strikes? Come on!

very good article on grantland today on it (and an associated one on fangraphs from the winter).

the Indians have had consistently some of the worst framing of pitchers the past several seasons.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 06:44 PM
but is it framing or is it umps?

the strike zone on espn gamecast is showing pitches in the center square of the 9 squares being called balls for indians pitchers for the last few games.

*edit* ok, well the pitcher just got a gift walk, so that helps.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 06:57 PM
Woohoo Asdrubal!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 07:26 PM
I think it's both. But, the more attention paid to it, the more pressure on the umps to get the calls correct (or be replaced by technology).
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 07:55 PM
Quote:

I think it's both. But, the more attention paid to it, the more pressure on the umps to get the calls correct (or be replaced by technology).

I think a lot of it is the whole "human error" thing that makes baseball an interesting sport. But, the umps could alleviate a lot of the problems by everyone being consistent with their interpretation of the strike zone. Some guys give edges, some guys give letter high, some guys give the knees. But, none of them is consistent with the definition of the strike zone. Hence, pitchers and batters have to know the ump's tendencies and that should never be the case. When that happens, the umps are the star of the show and that is not what the game intended.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:22 PM
I'm okay with an umpires interpretation of the strike zone, just as long as he's consistant and calls it for both teams.

Good win today. With Detroit losing to the Astros, yes the ASTROS, the Tribe is now a 1/2 game back. Here are the next two series:

7:05 pm - Fri May 17 - SEA
1:05 pm - Sat May 18 - SEA
1:05 pm - Sun May 19 - SEA
12:05 pm - Mon May 20 - SEA
7:05 pm - Tue May 21 - DET
7:05 pm - Wed May 22 - DET
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:28 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think a lot of it is the whole "human error" thing that makes baseball an interesting sport. But, the umps could alleviate a lot of the problems by everyone being consistent with their interpretation of the strike zone. Some guys give edges, some guys give letter high, some guys give the knees. But, none of them is consistent with the definition of the strike zone. Hence, pitchers and batters have to know the ump's tendencies and that should never be the case. When that happens, the umps are the star of the show and that is not what the game intended.

I disagree. I think baseball is inherently dramatic and that is what makes it interesting. We will have plenty to discuss without grossly incorrect calls.

also, what you suggest after that statement is exactly what a technology driven system would give (a consistent interpretation of the strike zone). it works in tennis.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:42 PM
I, for one, would like to see balls and strikes called with the aid of technology. The strike zone is clearly defined in the rulebook. Not one umpire calls it correctly. To make matters worse, no two umpires call the strike zone the same way. To make matters even WORSE, the same umpire won't call the zone consistently from game-to-game (or heck, even within the SAME game). It's very frustrating to watch.

To be fair, it is a tough task. I've called balls and strikes through high school ball and it isn't easy at that level. I'm sure it's way more difficult at higher levels of baseball. Personally, I would like to see the umps get some help to be consistent and to call the strike zone as it is defined. I think the game would be better for it.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:51 PM
I think Punch said it the way that I intended it to be said. There just seems to be too many times when the better team gets the more favorable strike zone on either side of the plate. Bauer throw a great curve ball that was a strike by the replay that was called a ball. One of our guys was rung up on a called strike that was similar in velocity and curve. Basically, I'm saying call it for both sides. Therefore, my comment of being more consistent across the board. Technology would definitely detract.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:56 PM
J/C ..

Indians beat the Phillies 10-3 ..... and the Astros *snicker* knock off the Tigers 7-5.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 08:58 PM
Quote:

Technology would definitely detract

See I don't get that argument. Detract from what, exactly? Wouldn't you much rather see a strike be a strike and a ball be a ball from one ump to the next? No "style" or "personality" differences. Just a more consistent strike zone.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 09:00 PM
10-4, good buddy.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 09:06 PM
Whoa ..... you're right.

I came in the house and it was the 9th and 10-3 with 1 out. I didn't check the final score.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 09:09 PM
The Tribe is looking pretty good ...
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/15/13 09:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Technology would definitely detract

Just a more consistent strike zone.

^^^^^ This is what I'm saying...... It always seems like the zone is skewed toward the team with the better record. I never said that technology would enhance a baseball game. In the A's series, it didn't even do its job. The A's should have tied the game, but after review the umps decided otherwise. I just said that there needs to be more consistency across the board and others disagreed with my explanation.....
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/16/13 01:50 PM
technology did nothing wrong in the A`s series. that was all the umpiring crew holding up their incorrect call.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 02:44 AM
Man, Kipnis is unconscious lately.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 03:09 AM
His swing right now is a thing of beauty. He is staying compact and quick/powerful through the box. I'd still like to see a little better overall average, as he has had a lot of 1-4 type games, but he is staying squared up nicely and hitting the ball really hard right now.

The 3 run homer int he 10th to win it was really nice.
Posted By: kwhip Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 09:42 AM
34,000+. That's what we need to see.

We're "Lights-Out" in the back end with Shaw, Smith, Pestano and Perez.

This team is FOR REAL folks.

And 15-4 in the last 19 is insane. And all this with our 2 and 3 hitters in the 230 range. Both are gettin' hot lately. Watch out.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 12:35 PM
j/c
I think we gotta get more out of Jimenez, though. Five innings per outing ain't gonna cut it. Kipnis has been pretty clutch lately.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 12:42 PM
Quote:

j/c
I think we gotta get more out of Jimenez, though. Five innings per outing ain't gonna cut it. Kipnis has been pretty clutch lately.

Especially if we want bauer in the rotation as he racks up his pitch counts quickly
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 12:47 PM
I would agree with kwhip that this team is coming along far better than I expected, but I still worry about our rotation being consistent and how quiet our bats can get at times. But, overall, it's nice to see them compete in the division. It's far different than the years I used to go to the old stadium when they started the year in the basement and ended there, too.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 12:58 PM
I agree we need more than 5 innings from Jimenez, but I can't fault Francona's move to take him out. After Smoak singled through the shift, you could see a change in Ubaldo right away. I don't know if its mental, or if its from the different mechanics of pitching from a stretch, but all the sudden his pitches were up and the confidence was gone. I almost wish we had a Tony Pena behind the plate to come out to the mound and smack Ubaldo upside the head with his mitt, like Tony did with Mesa. I'd like to see Jimenez get mad, rather than appear defeated, when he faces adversity. I guess at some point Francona's going to have to leave him in there to either work out of a jam, or take his lumps. Kind of like when your kid learns to ride a bike; at some point, the training wheels have to come off and you have to be willing to let them fall.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 02:54 PM
Quote:

j/c

Ubaldo had his worst outing in the past four games and still fanned 9 last night and if it wasn't for Hill, he would have been in line for the win.

Kipnis has been on a tear lately and while Asdrubal had previously been swinging the hot bat, he's cooled off a bit. Now, it's Kipnis who is getting hot.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 07:38 PM
Indians lead 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th on the strength of another excellent outing by Zach McAllister. Man has he been impressive this year. (as has Reynolds, who hit another HR today, and drove in 2)

Gotta think that we'll see Perez in the 9th.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 07:47 PM
Yeah ... well ...... so much for the damned lead.

2 outs and Perez gives up back to back HRs.

Neither was an iffy one either. They were crushed.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 07:58 PM
Indians have 'em loaded up with no one out in the bottom of the 9th, and Mark Reynolds coming up to the plate.

Wouldn;t it be nice to see a walk off grand slam?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 08:05 PM
Indians win it in the bottom of the 9th on fielder's choice RBI.

I always find it bizarre when a closer blows the save, but gets the win.

Zach definitely deserved better. He pitched one hell of a game.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 08:11 PM
Another good game by the good guys. I would really appreciate it if the boys could give my heart a break and have a convincing win or two to wrap up this series!
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 08:54 PM
Quote:

Another good game by the good guys. I would really appreciate it if the boys could give my heart a break and have a convincing win or two to wrap up this series!

Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 10:11 PM
It wouldn't be a Cleveland game unless we were ready for cardiac arrest. I wish I would have gotten to see the game today (too much kid and yard stuff to do). A win is a win is a win. We'll take 'em. Too bad McAllister couldn't get the win. Go Tribe!!
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/18/13 10:13 PM
McAllister certainly pitched well enough to get the win and should have.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 11:35 AM
That Perez got the win .... SUCKS !
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 01:34 PM
And to think the Tribe got McAllister from the Skanks for Austin Kearns. Think the Skanks wish they never made that deal?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 01:58 PM
They'll just wait till he becomes a free agent and sign him away from us.

However, we can pretty much ensure that we'll keep any free agent we want by making them a high enough qualifying offer. I think that it will be somewhere around $12-$13 million next year. (and that might drop if averages drop by virtue of huge contracts dropping in value) If we, for example, make Reynolds that kind of offer, then we would receiver a 1st round pick if someone else signs him ...........unless they are a lottery team, then it could be a 2nd round pick. The new system is really screwy, and is weighted so that it's not a 1 for 1 exchange. It's an odd formula, and one that I haven't seen spelled out in great detail.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 03:31 PM
Quote:

True, but for the other times where he gives up 5 ER in 5 innings and the offense explodes for 10 runs, he gets the win there.

IMO, if you're good enough to get to 20 wins, you will.

And anyway, the Tribe won. That's all that matters (and nobody got hurt in the process).
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 03:49 PM
Yeah but .....

Thus far this year, McAllister is 3-3. The way he has performed this year seems like he should have a much better record than he has.

These are his starts so far this year:

@TB 6 IP 2 ER (4 R) L
CHW 6.1 IP 1 ER (3R) W
BOS 5 IP 3 ER (3 R) L
@CHW 5.2 IP 3 ER (3R) L
PHI 7 IP 2 ER (2R) W
OAK 7.2 IP 0 ER (0R) W
@DET 6 IP 2 ER (3R) ND
SEA 7.1 IP 2 ER (2R) ND

He has a 3-3 record, in 8 starts, going an average of 6 1/3 innings per start. His ERA is an amazing 2.65. With an ERA like that you would think that his record would be much better.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 05:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

True, but for the other times where he gives up 5 ER in 5 innings and the offense explodes for 10 runs, he gets the win there.

IMO, if you're good enough to get to 20 wins, you will.

And anyway, the Tribe won. That's all that matters (and nobody got hurt in the process).

When has McAllister given up 5 runs (forget earned runs) in a game this season? He's only given up 3 ERs in 2 games this season, both of those loses.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 05:42 PM
Sorry to the both of you, I wasn't pointing to a specific game of his in the past. As a pitcher, sometimes you get the win when you pitch bad and sometimes you get a ND or loss when you pitch well. It evens out over a long enough timeline. It's best to not worry about the ND or loss because Wins for a pitcher is kind of a meaningless stat. I'm sure a stat geek can explain that ERA or WAR or something else (quality starts) for a pitcher better explains if he's doing his job correctly.

And the end of the day, did he pitch well enough to keep his team in the game and did they ultimately get the win. That's all people should really care about for a starting pitcher.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 06:00 PM
J/C ......

The Indians are trying to really beat up yet another former Cy Young winner, (Felix Hernandez - 2010) as they lead 5-0 in the bottom of the 3rd.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 07:10 PM
Quote:

J/C ......

The Indians are trying to really beat up yet another former Cy Young winner, (Felix Hernandez - 2010) as they lead 5-0 in the bottom of the 3rd.

Masterson is quickly becoming a legitimate #1 starter ... better known as the teams ACE ... JMHO
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 07:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

J/C ......

Masterson is quickly becoming a legitimate #1 starter ... better known as the teams ACE ... JMHO

Not bad for a kid from the island of Jamaica.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 08:44 PM
Go, Tribe! Kick some!

(Just wanted to get that in be fore the annual June Swoon elevator ride we grown to know and dread.)

But it has been good so far.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/19/13 09:36 PM
Former Cy Young Award winners are 1-7 with an 8.21 ERA vs your 2013 Indians. I don't know what's more amazing - that we've faced 8 CYA winners in 42 games ( nearly every 5 games!), or that we won 7 of those 8 games. It gives me some hope that this isn't just another Indians' early season mirage.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 01:01 PM
Quote:

Former Cy Young Award winners are 1-7 with an 8.21 ERA vs your 2013 Indians. I don't know what's more amazing - that we've faced 8 CYA winners in 42 games ( nearly every 5 games!), or that we won 7 of those 8 games. It gives me some hope that this isn't just another Indians' early season mirage.

If nothing else, nobody can say it's a fluke. They have beaten good pitching, and done it multiple times.

I saw a stat last night that said around the same time last year we were a -2 with the same record. This year I think we are around the +30 mark, I don't remember exactly.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 01:05 PM
[quote I saw a stat last night that said around the same time last year we were a -2 with the same record. This year I think we are around the +30 mark, I don't remember exactly.

Last year we were 23-17, in first place with a -2 run differential. This year we are 25-17, in first place with a +35 run differential. I just saw that before I left the house this morning so it is fresh in my mind. Something to be said about have a little more beef in the line-up.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 01:37 PM
Last year being down a run felt like a lot, being down any more like that and it felt like the game was over. This year, it just feels different. Being down a run isn't a big deal. When they take a close game into the 7th inning and beyond, I feel like we are supposed to win.

I still think if they can find an arm at the deadline, do it.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 01:40 PM
the run differential certainly highlights things.

but, the fact that we can score against RHP & LHP, our starting pitchers are actually throwing quality games, and our bullpen has been our weakness over the past couple of weeks (and it's still good - that just shows how strong we've been in May).

i don't think we'll be this good all year, but I'm certainly enjoying it.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 01:58 PM
I heard something about Little ( of the Browns ) making disparaging remark about Perez ?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 02:11 PM
Quote:

[quote I saw a stat last night that said around the same time last year we were a -2 with the same record. This year I think we are around the +30 mark, I don't remember exactly.

Last year we were 23-17, in first place with a -2 run differential. This year we are 25-17, in first place with a +35 run differential. I just saw that before I left the house this morning so it is fresh in my mind. Something to be said about have a little more beef in the line-up.

Some of that has to be credited to pitching as well. It would be interesting to see how the pitching numbers stack up compaed to last year.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 03:02 PM
Agreed. Usually if they got down a run or two last year, I quit watching. Now I won't stop until after the post-game show. It's nice to see our pitchers throw quality games and our hitters reward them with runs. I'm with you guys, though. Let's hope this will last!!
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 03:53 PM
Quote for the Daily Herald...

The Indians improved to 7-1 against Cy Young recipients, knocking off Hernandez, R.A. Dickey, David Price, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Bartolo Colon and Justin Verlander.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 04:00 PM
Quote:

Quote for the Daily Herald...

The Indians improved to 7-1 against Cy Young recipients, knocking off Hernandez, R.A. Dickey, David Price, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Bartolo Colon and Justin Verlander.

and, they are not only 7-1, but they have been lighting up these guys. Michael Brantley, in particular, seems to thrive off the best pitchers in the game.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 05:44 PM
Kazmir not having a good day:

3 IP
63 PC
7 H
5 ER
2 BB
2 K

Already in the showers.

Game is tied 5-5 bottom 4.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:20 PM
They'll blow it in the ninth.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:22 PM
Endy Chavez!
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:47 PM
...in the 10th?
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:48 PM
Need 2 runs.. come on Tribe!!
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:51 PM
The Bullpen Mafia are intent on killing every chance to win this game. Jeez.

1 run in the 8th for a blown save
1 run in the 9th for a potential loss (twarted by the Tribe's bats)
1 run in the 10th for another potential loss

Come on weenies.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:53 PM
Quote:

1 run in the 9th for a potential loss (thwarted by the Tribe's bats)

um, not exactly lol. the pitcher had a lot to do with it.
Posted By: Flap Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:57 PM
YANIMAL!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 07:58 PM
Gomes has the bunt pulled....... so he smacks a 3 run walk off homer to win he 5th in a row for the Indians!

The Mariners made 2 really stupid errors late in the game to extend it for the Tribe ...... and Gomes made them pay!
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:01 PM
I had the feeling it was going to be another walk off. The offense carried the pitching today for sure. Seems like nobody had their "good" stuff. This team is really exciting to watch right now. But............
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:02 PM
But nothing. They find ways to win way too often for it to be fluke stuff. They get the occasional piece of luck, but sometimes that happens with a team of destiny. (hopefully anyway)
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:03 PM
These come from behind heroics are starting to remind me a lot of the 95 squad.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:03 PM
Quote:

Quote:

1 run in the 9th for a potential loss (thwarted by the Tribe's bats)

um, not exactly lol. the pitcher had a lot to do with it.

I'll go back and review the play-by-play on the Gamecast. I only reviewed the scoring summary.

Wow! I bet Seattle isn't too happy about this weekend (3 last-at-bat wins and a 6-0 shut-out by Masterson)

So that means the Tribe is up 2.5 before a 2-game set against the Tigers at home.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:04 PM
Wow... this is unbelievable! LOL When was the last time you saw a Cleveland team capitalize on every chance our opponent gave us? This is AWESOME!
Posted By: Flap Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:10 PM
Quote:

But nothing. They find ways to win way too often for it to be fluke stuff. They get the occasional piece of luck, but sometimes that happens with a team of destiny. (hopefully anyway)

100%.

Today, most of those pieces of 'luck' were caused by pure speed. Bourne and Stubbs are an absolute headache for opposing pitchers. Love it!
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:13 PM
I don't even know what to say about that.

I'm just gonna move on to the next one.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:39 PM
Gomes needs to stay on the major league roster. Marsen should be worried right now.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:43 PM
I'm with you there, Excl. I almost commented to that the other day and figured I would be the jinx. YTown, I'm a Cleveland fan so there almost always has to be a "but." However, I agree that this could hopefully be a team of destiny. It's amazing how well they play when they are loose and confident.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 08:57 PM
Quote:

Gomes needs to stay on the major league roster. Marsen should be worried right now.

worried? he should have his bags packed. either to go to another team or Columbus.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 09:06 PM
Check out "Kipnis scores game-tying run" video

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp...&mode=video
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/20/13 09:19 PM
Quote:

Check out "Kipnis scores game-tying run" video

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp...&mode=video

Ha ha ha, now I know what you meant.

That game was 99.999% over.

Thanks for not paying attention during the base covering drills in Spring Training dude.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 12:21 AM
Quote:

I'll bet you that Marson is very much worried.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 12:52 AM
I like Gomes and Marson. I don't think Santana is a major league catcher. Marson was our best throwing catcher before his shoulder injury, gets in front of balls Santana only reaches for, plus he really calls a good game behind the plate. Santana, imo, is a DH.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 03:30 AM
Marson cannot frame and has only thrown out eleven of the last eighty-two runners without hitting to make up for it.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 01:12 PM
I kinda like the way they have it set up now. If Reynolds can hold it down at 3rd, that sets up so many good options.

It's been a while since we have had this kinda depth. That's what happens when you bring a legitimate proven manager to town. People want to play for him. I don't think it was ever about the city when guys didn't want to play there. It's about money and winning.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 02:04 PM
Looking forward to watching the Tigers series, it should be good, the Tigers have to win even though its early, and the Indians have a point to prove, by the way, my Giants "finally" played a good game ... JMHO
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 02:56 PM
JC

Beyond the fact that this team is playing well and each day someone new is delivering the necessary production, they have the most flexibility and depth on this roster that I've seen in awhile.

Swisher can play 1B, DH, RF, LF.
Santana can play C, 1B, DH.
Reynolds can play 1B, 3B, DH.
Rayburn "could" play every outfield position.....so could every current starting outfielder.
Aviles can play any infield position and the outfield corners.

Heck some of our reserves are better than our starters last year, hands down.

The amount of versatility in this lineup day-to-day is mind boggling and Francona has the ability to plug and play guys when facing any pitcher,lefty or righty, or based on statistical history, or to weather injuries/day of rest and they won't skip a beat.....It's amazing.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 03:12 PM
Quote:

JC

Beyond the fact that this team is playing well and each day someone new is delivering the necessary production, they have the most flexibility and depth on this roster that I've seen in awhile.

Swisher can play 1B, DH, RF, LF.
Santana can play C, 1B, DH.
Reynolds can play 1B, 3B, DH.
Rayburn "could" play every outfield position.....so could every current starting outfielder.
Aviles can play any infield position and the outfield corners.

Heck some of our reserves are better than our starters last year, hands down.

The amount of versatility in this lineup day-to-day is mind boggling and Francona has the ability to plug and play guys when facing any pitcher,lefty or righty, or based on statistical history, or to weather injuries/day of rest and they won't skip a beat.....It's amazing.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Last year we actually relied on guys like Casey Kotchmann, and Jason Donald, and Lou Marson, and Shelly Duncan, and Jack Hannahan, and Johnny Damon, and Aaron Cunningham, and Russ Canzler, and Brent Lillibridge, and Matt Laporta ........

We didn't just sign these guys as pieces ..... they were core players.

What a difference a year makes.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 08:30 PM
Quote:

We didn't just sign these guys as pieces ..... they were core players.

What a difference a year makes.

It's so weird to see such a different approach in acquiring players from 2012 to 2013 with the same ownership and front office. I mean, we spent $114 million in contracts. That was more than the NY Yankees.

Gotta love the SportsTime Ohio deal, I guess. The interesting thing moving forward is how the team approaches future contracts. History tells us they try to lock up the young-ins early before they possibly make it on the scene....Hafner, Victor Martinez, Sizemore, Carlos Santana, etc. Heck, even Belle, Baerga, Lofton, Thome all fall with that similar mold as well. I call it the "John Hart in a Mid-Market Theory". It surely trickled down to Shapiro and now Antonetti. But this offseason approach was very different. Maybe Antonetti is adding some personal flavor in this process.

Either way, my point is what will happen with all this potential youth after so much money was given to the long-term contract of vets like Swisher and Bourne? Most recent rumors have the Indians targeting Brantley and Kipnis for long term deals. What about Masterson? McCallister? Heck, dare I say Jimenez?

I know arbitration is still available to the aforementioned players before Jimenez but I think this team will gamble on a few more large contract with the young guys before they play themselves out of a deal a few years from now...I guess if this team continues to win, how much is ownership willing to pay?
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 08:54 PM
J/C

I really want to get enthusiastic about this team. They're playing spirited baseball, everyone is finding a way to contribute, and we seem to be quite consistent. Although we've seen this happen the past few years. The depth of talent is much better this year, though.

A few different parts about this team prevents me from fully endorsing this run. I feel a bit weird cheering for a team which uses an offensive caricature. I'm awaiting for the inevitable collapse this team has shown the past few seasons, too. I also wonder how long we can keep these guys all together. Sabermetrics be damned because there's no reason why a major league club should have to flip its best players. Bring me a salary cap and I'll start paying more attention to the MLB.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 09:03 PM
I think that we'll see some players receive qualifying offers so that we recoup draft picks if they leave via free agency. That is a huge difference in free agency now.

There is also a new national TV contract that increases the revenues for all teams. Add in the bonanza that the STO deal and the new FoxSports deal brought to the Indians, and it's really helped turn around the financial prospects of the Indians.

As a side note, I do wonder what will happen to STO once their Indians contract expires, and Fox can move the Indians games back to FoxSports? I wonder if they will continue to operate STO, or whether they will just shut it down? The only reason they bought STO was to get the Indians games back.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 09:19 PM
Quote:

I think that we'll see some players receive qualifying offers so that we recoup draft picks if they leave via free agency. That is a huge difference in free agency now.

There is also a new national TV contract that increases the revenues for all teams. Add in the bonanza that the STO deal and the new FoxSports deal brought to the Indians, and it's really helped turn around the financial prospects of the Indians.

As a side note, I do wonder what will happen to STO once their Indians contract expires, and Fox can move the Indians games back to FoxSports? I wonder if they will continue to operate STO, or whether they will just shut it down? The only reason they bought STO was to get the Indians games back.

The STO thing is a good question and honestly I have no idea. Televised games on STO have Fox Sports Ohio as a logo. Not sure what other relevant shows were on STO. Bruce Drennan? There was some Browns programming I think. Not sure if it's there anymore. Cavs games were on Fox Sports, right? They must have been cause I got them down here in Cincy.

I gotta stop poking fun at local Cleveland media/personalities. I'm sure some of them poke their heads around here from time to time.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 09:22 PM
Yeah, I noticed the FoxSports logo on during the Tribe games.

STO has a lot of Browns programming, but I'm sure that those programs could be moved over to Fox without too much trouble. Maybe they'll just make STO into "Fox Sports Ohio 2" like ESPN 2? Who knows?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 09:26 PM
I would like that idea. Maybe this sounds silly, but I always liked the fact the STO was a "Cleveland Only" sports programming channel. Like the YES network for the Yankees and other similar stations within larger markets. It was nice that I could say that about the Indians...the ball club owned their own TV station within our market constraints.

I like the Fox Sports 2 idea a lot. Keep it in the family...the Only Cleveland Sports family, that is.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 09:28 PM
It would seem to make sense to me on the outside ..... but who knows if it will make sense to the powers that be at Fox?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 10:59 PM
JC

Two big games tonight and tomorrow with rival Detroit, then

Another 4-game set @ Boston through the weekend, then

Another 4-game set (split home/away) with the Reds.

I feel like this team hasn't had a couple days off in awhile (not in a row of course, but in totality)...hence, the constant lineup changes as of late. Either way GO TRIBE!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 11:05 PM
This next two weeks is a big challenge, especially after a long stretch of games. I'm not a tribe fan, but I've been watching them and have been impressed with their resolve and togetherness. Tito brought some energy.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/21/13 11:30 PM
JC

I know its early, but just like Verlander last week, they are making the Detroit pitchers make a lot of pitches early. Not a bad approach...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/22/13 02:31 AM
Tough game tonight. Well, all we have to do now is go beat Verlander tomorrow.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/22/13 05:23 AM
For some reason Verlander has a time time with the Tribe. I can't say as I'm too upset .. hehe
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/22/13 11:59 PM
Great approach with Verlander so far. He's already used 55 pitches in less than two innings! Make him work and punish the bull pin! Let's go Tribe!!!!
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 12:24 AM
Never mind...... Jimenez couldn't throw one in the ocean if he was standing in the water
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, Ubaldo has had a horrible game tonight ........ he's at 6 ER through 2.2 innings, and he has 2 on.

Oh, and he's 3-0 on the next hitter.

Well, at least he finally got the 3rd out. Rough outing for Jimenez so far.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 12:26 AM
Like I said earlier in this thread, we need to get more than 5 innings out of him. And.... We definitely need to get more than 3.....
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 02:20 AM
Maybe we'll get lucky and get rained out before 5 are in the books.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 02:26 AM
Well, so much for that idea. lol
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 03:10 AM
This game has been excruciating to watch. I bet it goes to overtime just to prolong the suffering.

37 turnovers. 50 fouls.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/23/13 06:52 AM
It was pretty foul all right
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 04:30 AM
Nice to see the Tribe bounce back in a big way tonight. Nice job by Scotty Barnes tonight in relief, and McAllister had another quality start.

How about 12 runs and no HR .... for a team that usually mashes their way to big run production.

I like tonight's outcome much better than the last 2 games against the Tigers.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 04:34 AM
Quote:

How about 12 runs and no HR .... for a team that usually mashes their way to big run production.

I read that it was the first time since 1953 they scored 12 runs without a homer. That's way back. I don't like it when they say, "...it's the first time that happened all the way back since 2010." Really? I have underwear older than that. Don't bring out the "all the way back" unless we're talking at least a decade, maybe more.

But yes, good win.

Didjaknow, at the time of this post, the Indians league the league in homers?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 04:37 AM
I was pretty sure they still did .... but I wasn't 100% sure.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 04:47 AM
I'm not sure that I have underwear newer than 2010.

Do thongs count?
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 04:57 AM
Quote:

Do thongs count?

If you consider thongs underwear, then yes. I'd be more concerned if someone had edible underwear older than 2010.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/24/13 02:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Do thongs count?

If you consider thongs underwear, then yes. I'd be more concerned if someone had edible underwear older than 2010.

they are wrapped in the same plastic as fruit-by-the-foot for preservation. I think they are just fine. I mean, they would be just fine.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/25/13 08:21 PM
Indians up 4-3 bottom of the 7th.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/25/13 08:53 PM
Pestano is trying to knock the green monster down. 3 doubles in the 8th off the green monster. Tribe down 5-4. Men on 1st and 2nd 2 outs.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/25/13 08:56 PM
I think Pestano is headed to the DL soon. His fastball is only hitting the upper 80's
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/25/13 09:08 PM
GAme over 7-4 red sox win
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/25/13 10:55 PM
What most of us thought would be the strength of this team - the bullpen - has been a bit of an Achilles Heel. It just goes to show you; (quoting Joaquin Andujar) "youneverknow" is the biggest word in the English language.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:32 PM
Quote:

I think Pestano is headed to the DL soon. His fastball is only hitting the upper 80's

I guess this article begs to differ, but it did mention his velocity being down. At least we got a good outing from Kluber. Hopefully, we can close it out. I'll take a split with Boston!

Link

BOSTON -- If there were any health concerns about setup man Vinnie Pestano, Indians manager Terry Francona would not use the reliever in a game. Francona's only concern right now is getting Pestano back to his usual comfort level on the mound.

During Saturday's 7-4 loss to the Red Sox, Pestano surrendered four runs on four hits in the eighth inning for the worst outing of his career. The right-hander showed diminished velocity and command issues, but Francona said it was not the result of lingering discomfort in Pestano's recently injured elbow

"It'll be fine," Francona said on Sunday. "There's not any medical issues. We already got through that. Now, we've just got to get him back to being Vinnie."

Pestano was shelved on the 15-day disabled list due to right elbow tendinitis May 6-17 (retroactive to May 1), but the pitcher said Saturday that his arm feels fine. During his 31-pitch appearance against the Red Sox, Pestano was hitting around 87-90 mph with his fastball, which typically sits at 92-93.

Pestano said two weeks without throwing while sidelined on the DL are likely to blame.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:48 PM
Man, Perez has major, major issues right now.

He comes in to a 5-2 game, and it's now 5-4 with 2 outs, and he also has men on 2nd and 3rd. Geesh.

Come on Chris.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:52 PM
This is so hard to watch...........

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:54 PM
Perez is definitely hurting to some degree. He throws a "make sure" pitch", and it's "just a little bit" (5 or 6 feet) outside.

Joe Smith comes in to a tie game, with a bases loaded, and a 2-1 count.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:56 PM
You know ..... I understand the mentality of not wanting to come out of the game, but man, when you are hurt, and can't do your job, isn't it better to let someone else who isn't hurt come in and get the job done instead of finishing off blowing what was a 5-2 lead?
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:56 PM
Quote:

This is so hard to watch...........

Now Perez pulled a "Major League" Vaughn-esque like warm up throw. And Harry Doyle saying "juuuuust a bit outside...."
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:58 PM
Quote:

You know ..... I understand the mentality of not wanting to come out of the game, but man, when you are hurt, and can't do your job, isn't it better to let someone else who isn't hurt come in and get the job done instead of finishing off blowing what was a 5-2 lead?

+1 He put Joe Smith in a really horrible spot and he gets the lost!!!
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:59 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 08:59 PM
What a crappy way to lose a game.

I have thought that there was something wrong with Perez's arm for the past couple of weeks or so. He just hasn't seemed to have the velocity that he normally has, and he has given up more HR in that time than he normally does in a couple of months.

Hopefully Pestano can get back to 100% ...... because I think we're going to need him.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 09:00 PM

I have said for a long time Perez is NO CLOSER!!!
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 10:16 PM
Perez shouldn't pitch another game in an Indians uniform.

Trade him away. He ain't right in the head. At least he'll be able to sell insurance.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 10:24 PM
Quote:

At least he'll be able to sell insurance.

He'll need a hair cut.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 10:31 PM
Quote:

I have said for a long time Perez is NO CLOSER!!!

He couldn't close McDonald's at closing time. Trade value is ZERO!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 10:59 PM
He's been a strong closer for the Indians.

He saved 36 out 0f 40 save opportunities in 2011, and 39 out of 43 save opportunities last year. He's a quality closer. He's not the best in MLB, but he's upper tier.

People hated Mesa. They hated Wickman, Some even hated Doug Jones.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like there is something wrong with Perez's arm. He gave up a total of 11 HR over the 2011-2012 seasons combined. He has given up 4 already this season. Something isn't right. He is just getting rocked at times this year. He would give up a run here or there in the past, or put a guy or 2 on ..... but then he would manage to slam the door shut. This year the door is flying open. There's a physical problem of some sort. His velocity is noticeably down this year. Something isn't right with him.
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 11:16 PM
Seems as if his velocity has been going down each year. Last year he had more velocity than this year but it was still noticeably less than the year before. Not sure what to make of that.

I read the article saying that there was nothing physically wrong with Pestano but I am not buying it. We frequently hear something similar right before a guy goes on the DL.

Regardless of what the problem is. Perez and Pesttano have been killing us lately.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/26/13 11:25 PM
Yeah, Pestano has worried me somewhat as well. I dunno what to think with him. He was on the DL, so maybe it was rust ..... but he got rocked pretty hard too. However, in his case it was one outing.

His 1st blown save was giving up a run for the tie. That can happen to the best from time to time. His 2nd was just getting crushed. However, overall since coming off the DL he's really had 3 decent outings, and one bad one. Francona says that he just needs his "spring training" to build his arm speed back up after spending 20 or so days on the DL. That could be possible. Who knows? It's hard to tell from TV.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 01:28 PM
Perez to DL. Hagadone recalled. At least he got to see the other end of the I-71 corridor this time.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 02:36 PM
Heard on the radio that Peter Gammons thinks Cody Allen is one of the best young relievers in MLB, but that Brian Shaw will be the Indians closer until Perez recovers. I'm not that impressed with Allen; he throws 94-95 but it looks pretty straight - not "lively". He also appears to only have one pitch - at least thats what I've seen the few times I've seen him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 02:53 PM
Going to all four games against the Reds....I'll bring home a winner!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 03:06 PM
Quote:

Heard on the radio that Peter Gammons thinks Cody Allen is one of the best young relievers in MLB, but that Brian Shaw will be the Indians closer until Perez recovers. I'm not that impressed with Allen; he throws 94-95 but it looks pretty straight - not "lively". He also appears to only have one pitch - at least thats what I've seen the few times I've seen him.

I think that it makes sense to use Shaw in the closer's role to start with.

I like Allen. His fastball explodes past hitters. I do think that a closer can be successful with one plus level pitch, especially if it is a superior level pitch.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 03:11 PM
It's all about location. If you can chuck it up to 97 mph and hit your spots most of the time, you can get by without a plus secondary pitch as a closer (although pairing that up with a decent 85 mph change would be devastating).
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 06:06 PM
Would a 85 mph changeup or an 84mph slider work? Pitch f(x) says Allen throws the offspeed pitch about 20% of the time. Also, opponents are hitting just a little over .200 on Allen's fastball the past two years. Not bad at all.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 07:28 PM
JC
Giambi with a blast! 2-2 in the bottom of the 8th. I was doing yardwork, Ubaldo must have pitched well. Hagadone pitching.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 07:39 PM
Somebody 'splain to me why we were pitching to Votto with 1 out and a man on 3rd? Why not walk him and go for a DP? 4-2 Reds.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 07:58 PM
Reds win 4-2. Punk move by Chapman throwing a pitch over everything and then throwing at Swisher's head. No warning to the benches. Apparently, that's only for when Carrasco is wild inside.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 07:59 PM
Quote:

Somebody 'splain to me why we were pitching to Votto with 1 out and a man on 3rd? Why not walk him and go for a DP? 4-2 Reds.

Brandon Phillips. Nuff said.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:04 PM
Phillips has killed us over the years, but with 1st base open and maybe the best hitter in the NL at the plate its still good baseball to put the double play in place. Turns out Phillips whiffed. I don't think Bruce would have been bunting with 2 outs and the winning run at 3rd.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:08 PM
Quote:

Reds win 4-2. Punk move by Chapman throwing a pitch over everything and then throwing at Swisher's head. No warning to the benches. Apparently, that's only for when Carrasco is wild inside.

It was obvious he didn't have good control today, the punk comment is silly. There was nothing intentional about it.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:11 PM
BS, he was head-hunting. He innoculated himself from an umpire's warning - and maybe getting tossed - by throwing to the screen on the pitch before.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:15 PM
LOL. Hang on a minute, I'm going to bring you some cheese to go with that whine.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:16 PM
Quote:

Kudos to the umpire behind home plate for doing absolutely nothing. Unintentional, my ass!
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:21 PM
Whatever, Jules. The guy throws 100 mph and he was head-hunting. Did he mean to hit Swisher? Probably not. But don't tell me that was "bad control". It was, however, a "purpose pitch" that a lot of pitchers wouldn't get away with without some kind of warning, or even ejection.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:23 PM
Tomorrow we accidentally hit Votto and get a six gamer.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:27 PM
The thing about Chapman is that he's either really on, or REALLY off. This wasn't the first time it happened and it won't be the last. I don't think it was intentional...I've seen it too many times.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:37 PM
A pitch to the screen is a message. The next pitch at your head is the exclamation point on the message. It wasn't unintentional. I give Swisher credit for at least putting a good swing on a pitch and hitting it to the wall. Wish he'd gotten a little more of it just to see Chapman's reaction to Swisher chirping at him as he rounded the bases.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:39 PM
That's fine, you are free to feel about it how you wish. I'm just telling you that those of us that watch him pitch regularly know better. If he had actually been throwing for his head, he would have hit his target.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:41 PM
And if Perez for example did the exact same thing to Votto, Reds fans would be singing a different tune.

Keep making excuses for Chapman.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:50 PM
And the Tribe fans would be defending Perez. Pot...meet kettle.

I will keep defending him, because I honestly don't believe he did it purposefully.
Posted By: bigdatut Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:50 PM
Quote:

If he had actually been throwing for his head, he would have hit his target.

Well isn't that good to know.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:53 PM
J/C

Time for a history lesson boys and girls.

A purpose pitch was always high and tight. The batters back in the day hit the dirt. The don't do that anymore. They stand there and get hit in the head like a total dummy.

If the pitchers come in and low, say at the hip, the batter gets hit with no chance to get out of the way. Back in the day, that is where you aimed if you wanted to hit a guy.

My feeling is the hitters need to do a better job of getting out of the way if it is up and in, and that is by going down.

You don't see hitters do that anymore. The don't hit the dirt.

Sorry, pitchers need to throw purpose pitches without being called head hunters. It's been a part of baseball for 100 years, and the good pitchers still use it.

In baseball, the hitter gets half the plate, the pitcher gets half....the hitter in, the pitcher out. If the hitter tries to take my outside half away, I have no choice but to claim my stake inside.

I was a catcher when I played, and think like a pitcher, since that is what catchers do....I am going to own one half of the plate....you want the outside half, I am claiming the inside....and 6-12 inches off the plate isn't outside the realm of normal control IMO. If it bounces off your head or hand, that's your problem, not mine.
Posted By: bigdatut Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:55 PM
lol. Alright.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 08:56 PM
Quote:

I will keep defending him, because I honestly don't believe he did it purposefully.

Two pitches in a row at his head at 100MPH not on purpose? Whatever.

And no I wouldn't defend Perez. There's no call for that crap. Would you still defend Chapman if one of those pitches knocked Swisher unconcious?
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:07 PM
I don't care for the 2 pitches as much as I care for the fake tough guy act.

Baseball players..... smh.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:12 PM
I disagree. The first pitch was accidental, fine. The second wasn't and then for Chapman to glare and walk Swisher back around the bases is not unintentional at all.

My biggest complaint is that the umpire did nothing. The fact that he did not issue a warning after the second is unacceptable. Now, when retaliation comes, the Indians will end up getting a pitcher ejected/suspended. Not that a warning stops that, but it is at least a message to the Indians bench that the umpire saw it as well.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:17 PM
To move the discussion along ; I think Franacona has made some really bad decisions as of late ..
Posted By: Jester Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:19 PM
I was a pitcher and if a batter crowded the plate you have 2 choices. Back him away or give a double off the wall.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:27 PM
I agree with this. The Perez/Pestano thing hurts the pen, but the bigger issue may be the lack of a consistent LH option from the pen. Hill is mediocre at best, Hagadone has no control and no real reason for being up here right now, and Barnes is more of a long option.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 09:28 PM
Quote:

I was a pitcher and if a batter crowded the plate you have 2 choices. Back him away or give a double off the wall.

Backing a batter off the plate is fine. But you don't do it throwing at the head.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 10:24 PM
I agree about Francona's decisons the last two games. I thought he pulled Kluber too soon yesterday, and then stayed way too long with Perez. Perez actually got into TWO separate jams in the 9th yesterday - Francona should have had someone up and throwing before things got to that point.

Today - like I said earlier - I think you walk Votto with first base open and a man on third with one out in the 8th.

I like Francona (is it Terry or Tito?); I'm glad he's here. But he's had a crappy couple games, imo.

One other thing, maybe a conversation for a separate thread ... is anyone else really sick of the formula in baseball where the 9th inning, when you have a lead, is the exclusive domain of the so-called closer. I can certainly understand that thinking if you have a Mariano Rivera or a Trevor Hoffman, but how many teams have one of those? Way too often - imo - the manager takes out a guy pitching well because - well, he's the closer and it IS the 9th inning.
Drives me nuts.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/27/13 11:38 PM
There is a difference between high and tight, and at someone's head.

You knock someone off the plate with a pitch in around their chest/chin, and that's one thing. If you throw a 90+ fastball directly at a guy's head though, that's a different animal entirely.

I do want to add that I did not see the pitch in question today. I was out at a family picnic. It was more fun than I would have had watching the bullpen implode again.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:10 AM
Quote:

Talk about pot meet kettle, you cry every time a Indians fan posts in your precious Reds thread. So why don't you talk your gloating behind back to your own thread instead of talking crap in ours.

King
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:42 AM
You all brought up the Reds in this thread, when our teams play each other it's all fair game. You were the ones that were too thin skinned to take any ribbing in the past, which is the only reason I give the Indian fans some crap when they venture into the Reds thread.

I haven't gloated in this thread, what is there to gloat about? I was simply giving my opinion on the comments about Chapman made by some posters. But, you have never let the facts get in the way when making an argument. So yes, there is some crap here, but as usual, it's coming from you.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:59 AM
Just for all the silly accusations Latos should plunk Bourn to start off tomorrows game.
Posted By: 4thandPunt Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:02 AM
I'm a Reds fan and will be till the day I die, but you don't do what Chapman did today.

He clearly threw at the head twice. If you want to back a guy off, throw at his body or his shins, that works well enough.

Because of this nonsense, Votto is going to eat a fastball tomorrow, and if he gets hurt, the team gets hurt, all over some nonsense that no one knows the cause of.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:11 AM
Quote:

So why don't you talk your gloating behind back to your own thread instead of talking crap in ours.

King

You know, when I read crap like this, I know why I've been taking LONG breaks from this place. Oh, and you can say ass on this board.

See you all in the fall.

Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:14 AM
CINCINNATI -- Reds closer Aroldis Chapman irked the Indians a bit in Cincinnati's 4-2 win over Cleveland on Monday, when he threw a 100-mph fastball right past the head of Cleveland first baseman Nick Swisher. It was the second straight wild pitch Chapman delivered to Swisher, with the first one sailing high and outside all the way to the backstop.

Swisher did not seem pleased after the second pitch, mouthing the words "Don't do that" in Chapman's direction, while Swisher's teammates all hopped to the top step of the dugout.

After the game, though, cooler heads prevailed.

"I know you guys are trying to stir some stuff up here," Swisher said. "The first one I saw go by, and I thought, 'Wow, that's pretty quick.' And then that second one was a little too close for comfort. Let's be honest, 100 mph at somebody's head? That's not exactly the best thing."

Reds manager Dusty Baker didn't hesitate when asked what he thought about the pitch past Swisher's helmet.

"Is that the first time you've seen Aroldis throw one on the screen?" Baker said. "I'm serious. I just think that maybe everybody overreacted except the umpire [Paul Schrieber]. The umpire was really pretty cool about handling the situation. That's not something that we'd like to be known for or he'd like to be known for either."

Jason Giambi agreed that Chapman, who is known to have a wild arm at times, did not throw at Swisher on purpose and said the Indians' reaction was more about supporting their teammate.

"I've talked to Chapman plenty of times, and he's a great kid," Giambi said. "But we're going to protect our guys, too, especially Nick, who's a big leader on this ballclub, just to let him know, 'Hey, we've got your back.' But I don't think there's anything to it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/arti...in&c_id=cin

At least the Indian's players aren't as reactionary as some of their fans.
Posted By: Adam_P Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:26 AM
Just watched the replay. Definitely intentional on the second throw. Should've been tossed.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 07:53 AM
Seems to me the chin is a part of the head.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 11:04 AM
When I hear that someone threw at a player's head, I generally take that to mean at the side of the player's head, where he had to duck out of the way or face permanent damage.Quite frankly, I think that a message can be sent without ever throwing at a guy's head. However, the chin is about the only area I would consider even remotely close to acceptable.

A pitcher can come inside and knock a batter off the plate with a tight fastball at the letters. To me, throwing at the top/crown of the head, or the face, is pretty bush league.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 12:14 PM
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:03 PM
Yeah definitely intentional. Oh well, let the teams police themselves. Hopefully Brandon Phillips loses some teeth today.

KING
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:06 PM
Quote:

And no I wouldn't defend Perez. There's no call for that crap. Would you still defend Chapman if one of those pitches knocked Swisher unconcious?

Come on man, no Reds player can do anything wrong. I mean he couldn't possibly be wrong for doing it, we are all just upset and whining because we lost, obviously.

KING
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:12 PM
Quote:

You all brought up the Reds in this thread, when our teams play each other it's all fair game. You were the ones that were too thin skinned to take any ribbing in the past, which is the only reason I give the Indian fans some crap when they venture into the Reds thread.

I haven't gloated in this thread, what is there to gloat about? I was simply giving my opinion on the comments about Chapman made by some posters. But, you have never let the facts get in the way when making an argument. So yes, there is some crap here, but as usual, it's coming from you.

Blah blah blah ,some things never change. Jules gets to decide for everybody what is fair game, and what isn't. So Tribe fans "should go back to Tribeville" when she doesn't want them posting in her thread, but its all fair game when Jules decides it is. I didn't see anybody come over to The Reds thread to complain about Chapman, yet you had to troll your behind over here to call us whiners for not liking one of our best players having their head thrown at.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:13 PM
That certainly looked intentional enough to warrant a warning ..... and maybe even being thrown out of the game, being as it was the 2nd in a row.

The guy didn't just suddenly and completely lose his control, only to come back with a perfect pitch on the next pitch. It was a dirty play, and if the Indians retaliate today, they better not get a warning of any kind.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:17 PM
I don't have a big problem with a pitcher staking his claim to the inside of the plate - Bob Gibson used to do that at least once a game - but it bugged me that after two questionable pitches there was no warning from the ump. It could have ended right there, but by not acting the ump has set the table for a retaliation today. I don't want to see anyone hit in the face or head, but I wouldn't mind a pitch behind someone just to send a message. The trouble with that is then its our pitcher getting the warning, instead of the one who instigated it.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 01:21 PM
Quote:

That certainly looked intentional enough to warrant a warning ..... and maybe even being thrown out of the game, being as it was the 2nd in a row.

The guy didn't just suddenly and completely lose his control, only to come back with a perfect pitch on the next pitch. It was a dirty play, and if the Indians retaliate today, they better not get a warning of any kind.

Knowing MLB, there won't be a warning... They'll just toss the pitcher.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:18 PM
Quote:

much, much too early. that usually happens right around Memorial Day. too many fans are discounting the past 10 games still. today honestly doesn't matter, we'll go and win the weekend series with Detroit to convince most fans that this team may have something real. then, go and do okay until that game comes right before the end of May and THEN comes our tailspin.

NLR pretty much nailed it.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:31 PM
Quote:

Quote:

much, much too early. that usually happens right around Memorial Day. too many fans are discounting the past 10 games still. today honestly doesn't matter, we'll go and win the weekend series with Detroit to convince most fans that this team may have something real. then, go and do okay until that game comes right before the end of May and THEN comes our tailspin.

NLR pretty much nailed it.

ah, but which game was it? the Perez game + DL trip? or the series on a whole (easily could have been 3-1 Tribe, instead 3-1 Boston)

also, I sort of cheated in that I looked up our end of May / early June schedule ahead of posting that note.

A/H split - Cinci
Tampa
@NYY
@Detroit
@Texas
Washington

all above .500. all with some good SPs. most with good hitting to go along with it. if we go 9-10 over these 19 games (9-9 over the remaining 18), then I'll be mighty impressed and we'll be ready to contend for one of the wild card spots.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 02:47 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Blah blah blah ,some things never change. Jules gets to decide for everybody what is fair game, and what isn't. So Tribe fans "should go back to Tribeville" when she doesn't want them posting in her thread, but its all fair game when Jules decides it is. I didn't see anybody come over to The Reds thread to complain about Chapman, yet you had to troll your behind over here to call us whiners for not liking one of our best players having their head thrown at.

Haha, you are so full of it. Indians fans post in the Reds thread, it's only when someone starts with smack that I give them grief. Which is in strict retaliation to folks like you who can dish it out but, can't take it. You and the truth seem to often have a disconnect. I was discussing the topic at hand until you came on in typical attack mode. If I said the sky was blue, you would argue it. We all know what you think of me, let's just give it a rest. It's become tired, worn out, and boring.

And then we get this little gem:

Quote:

Hopefully Brandon Phillips loses some teeth today.

Nice.

You will get your wish though, once again, I'll stay away from your exclusive thread. It's funny that you still don't get why I do that in the Reds threads....here it is right under your nose.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 06:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Come on man, no Reds player can do anything wrong. I mean he couldn't possibly be wrong for doing it, we are all just upset and whining because we lost, obviously.

KING

Heard Dusty Baker on the radio today and he pretty much said the same thing.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 06:18 PM
That's how the game goes, you go after one of ours, we go after one of yours. If it was to happen the Reds would have nobody to blame but themselves.

KING
Posted By: moon Re: Tribe Continued - 05/28/13 06:49 PM
Quote:

At least the Indian's players aren't as reactionary as some of their fans.

Hogwash...They get paid handsomely to keep their cool with reporters, and they are quoting a couple of class vets here. Chap threw at him...twice, the first one was the only one that was wild it was meant for the head. Then showing a ton of remorse for nearly decking a guy in the head (supposed on accident) chased him back to the dugout giving him an ear full....

Throwing at people (not throwing inside that should no even be questioned) is part of the game always has been one of the great things about a great sport, but at the head is off limits...that is a fact among these guys, you don't throw at the head. There will be a retaliation. Don't expect it tonight, but it will happen at some point. My guess is game 4 in Cleveland and it will be form a bullpen guy.

My question is did I miss something, I only watched the last couple of innings yesterday. Did indian pitchers hit somebody earlier?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 03:20 AM
I just don't see what the big fuss is about a little chin music It's been a part of baseball since i was a young'in
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 03:26 AM
Man, we are on the skids big time right now. We are losing games we shouldn't ..... and guys who have been reliable are getting blown up one at a time. Tonight was Shaw's turn.

We had a bad losing streak early on, then we went on a major winning run, and now we have lost 8 of our last 9. (IIRC) Many of those games have been put out of reach, or lost, by an implosion in the bullpen. That was the strength of this team. We need to get that turned around ASAP.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 03:46 AM
Yeah, the way they've been playing these past few games have been downright disgusting and need to be corrected. I mean I can accept that people will get injured and you might be without them and that teams go through rough patches or whatever. That is part of the game. But to have bullpen meltdowns such as these when you're getting decent starts from pitchers is unacceptable. A couple of questions I'm beginning to ask myself are the following: 1) Why is Nick Hagadone in the majors? 2) Were pitchers pitching better with Gomes behind the dish? How much of a difference does he make vs Santana behind there calling the game? Did he play a role in the losing skid?
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 04:40 AM
The wheels are coming off and we're leaking oil BIG TIME! Yup this is the kinda Cleveland meltdown that us fans are accustomed to. It was going to happen sooner or later it always does. We can all try to break it down and come up with excuses as to why it happens...2 words for ya...it's Cleveland!!!
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 05:44 AM
Every team goes through it's ups and downs with a 162 game schedule it's best to keep an even keil about things
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/29/13 02:49 PM
this is why we got Francona. hopefully, he can calm everybody down and we can start winning some of these games again.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 12:00 AM
Well..... Let's see what happens tonight. Masterson gave up a cheapy to Votto, but Reynolds just crushed one. We need to string some runs together. We should be killing Arroyo.....
Posted By: -DC- Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 12:17 AM
Well thats one way to kill a potential big inning... bonehead baserunning
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 03:07 AM
Glad we handled them tonight but that homerun from Votto was no "cheapy". Anything into the trees in straight away center is a mammoth shot....only Reynolds' was hit harder!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 03:46 AM
Glad to see us back on the winning track again tonight.

Hopefully this starts us off on another streak of winning 8 or 9 out of every 10 for a while.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 02:26 PM
By "cheapy" I meant that Masterson did a poor job locating the pitch and Votto got him. I agree, he crushed it, but Reynold's shot was more enjoyable to watch get over the fence. Giambi juiced one, too. Although I've never really been a fan of his, it was nice to see him contribute at a time in the game where we needed runs. Pestano is scaring me though....
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 03:07 PM
What was Giambi doing trying to steal 3rd with two outs? He took the bat right out of Reynolds hands.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 03:16 PM
Well, at least he made up for it later in the game, I guess. He had no business trying to steal in that situation. Heck, I don't know if I would even agree with sending Bourn or Stubbs. Maybe a little hit and run, but Reynolds was definitely not trying to protect the runner. Mental errors like that usually come back to haunt you. Fortunately, it didn't this time.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 03:42 PM
Quote:

What was Giambi doing trying to steal 3rd with two outs? He took the bat right out of Reynolds hands.

Francona said that was on him after the game. He was trying to give him a running start to score.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 06:32 PM
MLB mock draft time

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/new...2&eref=sihp

we have the #5 overall pick in a draft with 3 elite prospects. but, there are some very good close-to-elite prospects to pick from at our selection.

best pitchers (likely to be available):
Ball LHP - HS
Stewart RHP - HS
Stanek RHP - College (article above has Shipley going ahead, but most places have Stanek higher)

best hitters (likely to be available):
Meadows OF - HS (better power than Frazier who article has Twins taking ahead of us)
DJ Peterson corner-IF - college (another power guy - I think our focus)
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 07:21 PM
I'm hoping Colin Moran or Kris Bryant falls to #5 if not Jonathan Gray would be my pick. There are some really nice players for the Tribe to pick from.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 08:00 PM
Quote:

I'm hoping Colin Moran or Kris Bryant falls to #5 if not Jonathan Gray would be my pick. There are some really nice players for the Tribe to pick from.

Bryant and Gray would be no-brainer picks. Doubt they are there.

I think Moran will definitely be there and I don't think we'll pick him. The HS hitters just have a much higher ceiling and we need more elite guys coming through our system.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/30/13 10:55 PM
j/c
I have to say that I really, really like Nick Swisher. He seems to say all the right things and is a high energy guy that cares about the team. I may be way off, but I think that he is the kind of guy that has been lacking over the last few years. We need some true leaders for this young team and it seems like we ae finally getting that. Add Francona and his staff and we might have some fun times ahead! Go Tribe!!!
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 12:35 AM
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 01:29 AM
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 01:35 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 02:38 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 02:54 AM
Glad to see us get on a winning streak again. Hopefully we have weathered the storm of weirdness that hit the bullpen.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 04:02 AM
2-2 w/ all wins at home, so who gets it?
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 04:22 AM
That ain't got nothing on the trophy of the Great Lakes Classic!
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 04:50 AM
Go Tribe, Go Tribe, Go Tribe.... OK thats enough celebrating for me. It's going to be long season and it's way, way, way to early to tell how we will finish up this season.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 05:32 AM
Quote:

2-2 w/ all wins at home, so who gets it?

the team who scored more runs
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 05:54 AM
Yeppers,

Cleveland wins the cup this year with a 16-15 run differential
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 12:00 PM
Quote:

Gray and Bryant would be no brainers, but I want no part of Moran. He has no upside, no power and is an AVG at best defender at 3B more likely he has to move to 1st. He's a "one tool" player only (hitting). If we draft him with one of Gray, Bryant, Appel and Frazier on the board, I think it will be a big mistake....just like Pomeranz over Sale, A.White over Shelby Miller or Tyler Naquin over Wacha have been

My top 5 are Gray, Appel, Bryant, Frazier and Shipley, but there's a drop off from the top 4 but it looks like Frazier has the best shot to drop to the Indians. If they want an underslot deal I hope they take Shipley, Stanek or even DJ Peterson over Moran
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 12:03 PM
add Ball to your list and it matches what I said above pretty well (best lefthanded HS pitcher --- never a bad thing to add)
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Tribe Continued - 05/31/13 06:21 PM
Wow. A European who likes American football and baseball. I truly have seen everything.

Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 04:26 AM
Haza! After 4 hours of rain delays the Indians game is back on, live, top of the 3rd at 12:23am eastern.

I downloaded the mlb at bat app for my ps3 and this game just happened to be today's free preview game. Hooray free live Indians baseball at 10:24pm mountain
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 04:44 AM
Is it wrong of me to hope that this game gets rained out before the 5th?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 05:47 AM
Man, the Tribe got absolutely hosed on that call. Bourne was never tagged ... but they called him out anyway.

This crew sucks.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 11:30 AM
Quote:

Wow. A European who likes American football and baseball. I truly have seen everything.

Well, they're great games and the draft is a concept we Europeans aren't used to, which is a shame, as this "socialist" element is the salt in the soup.

I got hooked as a kid by watching games on AFN (American Forces Network), lucky being one of the few non-USA citizens to receive it. I remember the 1st Browns game I saw Testaverde was the QB, we had Metcalf, Eric Turner etc. Istantly fell in love with the Browns tradition and no-logo helmet and yes, the movie and the funny cap made me an Indians fan too I don't post on here often about the Indians, but I'm a full blown nerd down to the minors and know about every organizational prospect in the system, lol

I'll plan a trip to Cleveland sometime in the upcoming years to finally see a Browns and Indians game live
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 07:20 PM
Looks like we're getting a solid outing by Jimenez today. Going into the 8th with 92-ish pitches. Hopefully they give him a chance to close it out. Especially with the way our bullpen has been over the last few games.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 08:39 PM
Ubaldo continues to provide quality starts as the season goes on, and as good as that is for the Indians, it's even better for this kid's confidence. He needs to continue to build that confidence as this season goes on. Anyone can see that once he gives up runs early, he completely loses it mentally. The more good starts he has, the more likely he will trust his stuff and instincts. 'Cause when this kid is "on" he is one of the better young pitchers in the MLB. I really believe that. Not sure how many people saw the game today, but when a pitcher has THAT nasty of a split-finger coupled with a 90+mph four-seamer, you're tough to beat. Not to mention his curve ball. After that, an average change-up is just fine.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 08:54 PM
Quote:

Looks like we're getting a solid outing by Jimenez today. Going into the 8th with 92-ish pitches. Hopefully they give him a chance to close it out. Especially with the way our bullpen has been over the last few games.

I think calling it a "solid outing" is a huge undersell. He was outstanding. Combined with VP for a 4 hit shut out. Only 2 Rays batters reached scoring position on the day.

Hopefully Ubaldo is getting in a groove
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 08:56 PM
I agree, he had really good stuff today. Hopefully, he can start feeling more confidence that the offense can get behind him (and get him runs when he needs them). When he gave up a walk to the first batter, I was a little worried. But, he settled in and trusted himself. The double play in the 8th really helped him come back and get the next guy. I would like to see Pestano just come in and get three outs in a row. He's been walking quite a few lately.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 09:06 PM
It's amazing how Jimenez has turned things around this season. He was absolutely awful for much of last year, though he did have a short stretch when he looked OK ......

But this year he has really gotten his act together. He had issues early on, like in his 2nd and 3rd starts, where he gave up 14 runs in a total of 6 innings. but most of the rest of his other starts have been quality.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 09:07 PM
Ubaldo has 2.74 ERA 45/16 K/BB ratio in 42 2/3 innings across his last seven starts
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 09:14 PM
How about Jason Giambi as of late?

It's funny how many people thought he was a waste of a roster spot (including myself) but he has really become a valuable asset off the bench, simply as a DH fill-in, mainly against right handers. Not to mention his leadership in the clubhouse, I can understand why Tito wants him around. I am fine with it now.

Another thing....I am interested to see what happens to the starting rotation when Myers come back....what about Carrasco? I think the odd man out is Kluber one way or another, but I don't think he is all that bad.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Tribe Continued - 06/01/13 09:24 PM
I, too, was not a fan of the Giambi signing. BUT, I'm warming up to it, also. If he can give us some consistent production with the occasional 3 or 4 RBI's and maintain that leadership, we could see the Tribe make a push for the play-offs. Kluber has been pitching well. I thought he looked pretty sharp last night. That darn rain delay killed us A win tomorrow gives us the series, so we're still in pretty good shape!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 02:44 AM
He's had homers in what .. the last 3 straight games he's played.

I also wondered why we brought this washed up guy in ....... but he's showing that he still has strong value.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 04:26 AM
Went to the Clippers game tonight and Carrasco gave up 9 runs, he was hitting 97 on the gun though.

Chisenhall was hitting the cover off the ball tonight. 1 hr, 2 doubles both of which should have been triples he was doggin it. He's hitting about .370 at AAA, just one of those guys who can hit in the minors and can't hit in the bigs.

Saw Felix Pie with a triple in first, then score on a bad throw to home, almost an in the park homer. Last one of those I saw was Mel Hall in the eighties.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 04:34 AM
The thing is that Chisenhall did hit the past 2 seasons.

He hit .255 with 7 HR and 22 RBI in 212 AB in 2011. Last year he hit .268 with 5 HR and 16 RBI in only 142 AB.

This year the bottom appeared to fall out. He ht only .213. He was striking out left and right. He just wasn't progressing.

I do think that he'll have another shot at the bigs as long as he plays well at AAA. He'll almost certainly be back up before the end of the year.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 12:42 PM
Regardless of his performance this year, the FO still sees this guy as the 3B of the future. He's 24 and has much to learn. I also think he has one of the nicest swings I've seen in awhile, he was just putting too much pressure on himself as the next best thing/top prospect, I think. He just needs more at-bats in the majors. I was a little disappointed that he got demoted, but I understand it.
Posted By: Dave Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 01:58 PM
A key stat yesterday for Ubaldo, imo, was only giving up one walk. He seems to have a fast-twitch panic button when he puts people on base that affects his concentration. That, along with pitching ahead in the count, has kept him from grooving one that gets hammered. Its one thing to pitch behind in the count if you're throwing 98 MPH, but quite another when you're topping out at 91-92. It could be he has started to adapt to no longer having elite stuff, ie; becoming a pitcher. 7 good starts out of 11 so far this year is better than I expected.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 03:02 PM
Quote:

How about Jason Giambi as of late?

It's funny how many people thought he was a waste of a roster spot (including myself) but he has really become a valuable asset off the bench, simply as a DH fill-in, mainly against right handers. Not to mention his leadership in the clubhouse, I can understand why Tito wants him around. I am fine with it now.

Another thing....I am interested to see what happens to the starting rotation when Myers come back....what about Carrasco? I think the odd man out is Kluber one way or another, but I don't think he is all that bad.

I am hoping Kluber is not the odd man out. Just a couple of games ago the guy had 10K's. If anything I want him here instead of Carrasco. Myers is up there in age and if he can't get it together they should release him during this offseason. With Carrasco, from what I've seen he has this attitude like he's entitled to something and I don't like it. He also needs to make a mental adjustment, stop acting like some little kid, and stop getting thrown out of games and suspended immediately.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 03:18 PM
Myers should go into the bullpen when he comes back. Kluber has earned his shot as a starter. He gave up 8 runs in 4 2/3 innings against Detroit .... but other than that the most he has allowed is 3 runs. He's not an 8 or 9 inning pitcher at this point, but he is a guy who will give the team a solid 6 innings. Myers can go into the Bullpen. We can use help there anyway.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 06/02/13 11:52 PM
Quote:

I do think that he'll have another shot at the bigs as long as he plays well at AAA. He'll almost certainly be back up before the end of the year.

Lonnie was removed from the Columbus lineup tonight pregame. Tribe has an extra bullpen member and I would think there is a decent chance that he is on his way back to Cleveland to replace one of the useless lefties on the roster right now.
Posted By: logdawg Re: Tribe Continued - 06/04/13 12:31 AM
ESPN Link

Quote:

Jonathan Gray, the University of Oklahoma pitcher and No. 2 prospect heading into this year's MLB Rule 4 draft, tested positive for the medication Adderall during baseball's predraft drug testing program, according to multiple sources familiar with the details of Gray's test.

The positive test will not result in a suspension, but will make Gray subject to additional follow-up testing once he begins his pro career, according to a source with Major League Baseball. Adderall comprises salts of two amphetamines and is banned by MLB unless the player has a valid therapeutic use exemption. Multiple sources indicated that Gray did not have a prescription for the drug.

A message asking Gray for co

This may make Gray a possibility. Wouldn't move me off of him at all if he's there. Would love to see him in the system.
© DawgTalkers.net