Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#787631 05/13/13 03:13 PM
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
I saw this scenario posted in a football thread in a non-football forum and thought it might be fun here.

You are the GM of your favorite team (I'll assume for most of us that is the Browns). You get to select three players to improve your team. These players will stay with your team for a very long time, so you don't have to worry about only one year of play.

These players are:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age.
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age.
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie.

Now before you get all excited, there is one minor caveat:

NONE OF THESE PLAYERS CAN BE A QB.

The QB rule is in place because they affect play more than any other player on the field, and so would be too much of an easy choice to help improve the team.

I'm gonna hold off on my picks until a few posts in because I don't want to change initial opinions.

Who do you pick?

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Legend
Legend
I have already redone my picks below, so I will delete this post filled with truly idiotic and inexcusable mistakes .......

I will submit myself for flogging at Dawn ...... assuming she's home.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/13/13 03:54 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
You have two retired players and a dead guy.

Did you even read the OP?

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I'll play... going strictly by need

Antonio gates TE
Champ Bailey CB
Ed Reed FS

All as rookies

Legend
Legend
I read it quickly and though you could have any of the 3 categories, not one of each.

OK, I'll have to change mine.

JJ Watt (Current Age)
Ed Reed (Current Player as a rookie)
Lawrence Taylor(Retired player as a rookie)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
1. Titus Young
2. The rookie version of Titus Young. Come on, in case #1 Titus gets into trouble with the law.
3. T.O.

Okay, seriously:

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Ed Reed
3. Jerry Rice or Bruce Smith (I know LT was better, but that dude was a headcase)

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
The first two have to be CURRENT players.

1. Any current NFL player at his current age: JJ Watt
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie: Ed Reed
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie. Deion Sanders

Go ahead and try to complete a pass on me

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Is this based off of to improve our Browns for 2013 as the holes are now? Or just if you had to pick 3 overall? I figure you mean the first.

1) JJ Watt- even with our front 7 he is too good to pass up
2) Tony Gonzales- no other player has dominated their position to the extent of Tony. Except...
3) Jerry Rice- With Jerry, Tony, Gordon, Little, Bess, Trich and our OL who needs a QB?

Last edited by predator16; 05/13/13 03:38 PM.
Legend
Legend
Deion almost made my list too. I always liked him.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Copycat. (well 2 of the 3 anyway)

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Any current NFL player at his current age. - Von Miller
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age. Calvin Johnson
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie. - Anthony Munoz

New NFL, rush the passer, pass the football.

BpG #787642 05/13/13 03:58 PM
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Alright, we're a few in, so here are my three.

1. I want to both help Trent run for more yards and protect Weeden better, but don't want to use this spot to revert to a rookie age. So, in a bit of an oddball pick, I choose current Andy Levitre.

2. For my current player at his rookie age, I am again going offense, and in this offense, with Chud and Norv running the show, I am picking a player who will probably go down in history as the best at his position, a position that has massive production under these coaches, Tony Gonzalez.

3. Getting to the QB is the number one objective of a defense in today's NFL, so with my retired player at a rookie age I'm going with one of the baddest men to ever play OLB in the NFL, Lawrence Taylor.

N
Legend
Legend
N

1. Patrick Peterson (Any current NFL player at his current age)
2. Calvin Johnson (Any current NFL player as a rookie)
3. Ronnie Lott (Any retired NFL player as a rookie)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

These players are:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age. (Clay Matthews Jr.)
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age. (Calvin Johnson)
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie. (Ray Lewis)

yebat' Putin
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought about using Ray as my "current" player, has he officially retired yet?

BpG #787646 05/13/13 04:39 PM
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Yeah, he's officially retired.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age: Patrick Willis
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age: Ed Reed. Couldn't go wrong with Polamlau either.
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie: Jim Brown

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Clay Matthews
Ed Reed
Jerry Rice

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
These players are:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age....Calvin Johnson

2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age........Brian Urlacher

3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie......Jim Brown

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rookie
Rookie
1. Any current NFL player at his current age. Calvan Johnson
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age. Ed Reed
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie. Decan Jones

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
T
Legend
Legend
T
Locked in on two, the hard one is to find a current player, who I'd want as a rookie.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Quote:

These players are:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age. (Megatron)
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age. (Adrian Peterson)
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie. (Dion Sanders)

No, I have no idea who Sam Axe is.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you should have permitted one qb to be chosen. That could have been interesting. Do people take Rodgers at his current age? Luck as a rookie? Johnny U as the retired guy? Would mac take Tim Couch? Would Diam take Brady Quinn? Would tab take Dan Pastorini? Would Dj take Weeden? Would YTown take Colt McCoy?

I do have a question. Are we factoring in our current roster? For example, I would maybe take Anthony Munoz, but why would I do that if I already have Joe T? I am going to assume I already own the current Browns. LOL

My three:
1. Any current NFL player at his current age.----JJ Watt
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie.------Ed Reed
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie.-------Lawrence Taylor

Note: I think Jim Brown was the greatest player of all time. Walter Payton is 2nd on my list and Jerry Rice is 3rd. However, it's so easy to find quality RBs and WRs. I don't believe in drafting them in round 1 unless that is the very last piece to the puzzle, thus---I won't be taking one of them here.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

My three:
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie.------Calvin Johnson
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie.-------Ozzie Newsome

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
If defensive

JJ watt
Ed reed
LT

If offensive
AJ green
Antonio gates
Jim brown

Tough choices - may have to revise mine

Last edited by jaybird; 05/13/13 07:42 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Current player as a rookie, is the most dificult. I'd go with Adrian Peterson, but he's not going to get enough carries. I'd go with Adrian Peterson still, if I was going to take two players at the same position, but I don't want to do that.

so first the current player at his current age, A J Green, wide receiver from the Bengals

#2, Not Derrelle Revis, Not Adrian Peterson, Not, Josh Cribbs, Not LeSean McCoy, The current player as a rookie, I"m going with

Julius Peppers, as a rookie, he's gonna give me 12 years 111 sacks, I''ll take that.

None of those matter, because the retired player as a rookie, is not only the greatest non quarterback ever, He scored a couple Td's in the super bowl as a rookie, ( I believe,) He's the most impactful player, (because his trade( He allowed H.W to be tradable) , set up more superbowls), I consider the NFL changed from when he played to when he retired.

Tony Freakin Dorsett!

AJ Green, Julius Peppers, and Tony Dorsett! Hello Greatest show on the Lake!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Ballpeen #787657 05/13/13 09:58 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Calvin Johnson
Rob Gronkowski
Reggie White

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Quote:

I think you should have permitted one qb to be chosen. That could have been interesting. Do people take Rodgers at his current age? Luck as a rookie? Johnny U as the retired guy? Would mac take Tim Couch? Would Diam take Brady Quinn? Would tab take Dan Pastorini? Would Dj take Weeden? Would YTown take Colt McCoy? :smirk

In the interest of keeping the thread going a little bit, a fourth player can be selected.

4. A current non-Super Bowl winning QB with at least 3 years experience, so no Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Newton, or Kaep.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
1. Any current NFL player at his current age: J.J. Watt

2. Any current NFL player as a rookie: Calvin Johnson (tempted to go Revis here, but offense is more important than defense nowadays)

3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie: Anthony Munoz

4. A current non-Super Bowl winning QB with at least 3 years experience: Philip Rivers (not a homer pick at all, he's the logical choice other than an older Tony Romo)

EDIT: I thought this thread was for creating a team from scratch. *sigh*

Last edited by PowderBlue11; 05/13/13 10:47 PM.
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
4. I'm going Cutler, I think he would be deadly with the OL the Browns would have in place.

Why did you pick Munoz Powder? Yes, he is one of the greatest LT of all time, but you already have Joe Thomas on the roster.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

4. I'm going Cutler, I think he would be deadly with the OL the Browns would have in place.

Why did you pick Munoz Powder? Yes, he is one of the greatest LT of all time, but you already have Joe Thomas on the roster.

Wow...I thought this was for creating a team from scratch. Apparently I have the reading comprehension level of a first-grader.

Darn lol.

Here's my list adjusted for the Browns:

1. Calvin Johnson — Tempted to go with Gates as a rookie and pick someone else here, but as a Charger fan as well, prime-Gates didn't make near the impact that Johnson makes today.

2. Ed Reed — Overrated today, but one of the greatest of all-time in his prime and better than Polamalu ever was.

3. Deion Sanders — Greatest cover corner of all-time. I don't care and Horton shouldn't care if he can't tackle.

4. Philip Rivers — When he had an average offensive line he was just as good as Rodgers/Manning/Brady.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Ugh now with a QB I have to redo. I must say this thread is fun!

1)JJ Watt(who needs CBs and FSs if you have this front 7)

2)Tony Gonzales

3)I had Rice before but with a better QB I don't need anymore weapons. Most would go FS. Complete the offense. Steve Hutchinson just retired 2 months ago. The most dominant interior OL of the Modern era.

4)Matty "Ice" Ryan(if age wasn't a factor it'd be Rivers)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you should have permitted one qb to be chosen. That could have been interesting. Do people take Rodgers at his current age? Luck as a rookie? Johnny U as the retired guy? Would mac take Tim Couch? Would Diam take Brady Quinn? Would tab take Dan Pastorini? Would Dj take Weeden? Would YTown take Colt McCoy?

I do have a question. Are we factoring in our current roster? For example, I would maybe take Anthony Munoz, but why would I do that if I already have Joe T? I am going to assume I already own the current Browns. LOL

My three:
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie.------Ed Reed
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie.-------Lawrence Taylor

Note: I think Jim Brown was the greatest player of all time. Walter Payton is 2nd on my list and Jerry Rice is 3rd. However, it's so easy to find quality RBs and WRs. I don't believe in drafting them in round 1 unless that is the very last piece to the puzzle, thus---I won't be taking one of them here.

Man, you harangue me, then copy my list of players exactly.

If I could take one QB (all time) with this current team, it would have to be Dan Marino.

Marino, Reed, Watt, and LT ....... all in their primes, or as youngsters ........ yeah, I'd go to war with that.

Now, as far as the rules, which, yes, I obviously have a problem with ....

Hmm, a current NFL QB, who hasn't won a Super Bowl, and who has at least 3 years experience ...... that's a tough one.

Probably Matt Ryan, under those conditions.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/14/13 01:12 AM.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Ok my redo.... Didn't do it right.

Drafting for need....

1. Vernon Davis te .... Stays healthier than Gronk, blocks better than hernandez
2. Ed reed fs. ... No explanation needed.
3. Rod Woodson cb ....Probably the best overall cb ever. And for those who say Deion, he was best cover

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

1. Any current NFL player at his current age.
2. Any current NFL player as a rookie, i.e. you could get Troy Polamalu at his rookie age.
3. Any retired NFL player as a rookie.

1. Megatron, obvious
2. Ed Reed, obvious
3. Derrick Thomas, averaged 11.5 sacks a year at OLB. Thought about maybe Kevin Greene.

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Can I just say that Rivers sucks?

He sucks. He has always sucked. He has been the great beneficiary of having great players at all levels of his offense when times were good.

Hall of Fame running game, with great FB included.
Hall of Fame TE.
Very good to great stable of WRs.
Hall of Fame O-Coordinator

We've seen what happens now when you take away the HoF running game, when the HoF TE gets older and when you lose VJax. Now Turner is gone.

Watch what happens now. I think SD is looking at a Top 8 pick next year. And I've said it elsewhere...Rivers arm is shot. If he's a starting NFL QB in 2015 color me shocked.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I think you should have permitted one qb to be chosen. That could have been interesting. Do people take Rodgers at his current age? Luck as a rookie? Johnny U as the retired guy? Would mac take Tim Couch? Would Diam take Brady Quinn? Would tab take Dan Pastorini? Would Dj take Weeden? Would YTown take Colt McCoy? :smirk

In the interest of keeping the thread going a little bit, a fourth player can be selected.

4. A current non-Super Bowl winning QB with at least 3 years experience, so no Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Newton, or Kaep.

LOL man, you are making it rough. I want Aaron Rogers as my qb. Can I trade this qb along w/two future #1s, a 3rd, and a few mid-to-lower level picks to GB for Rogers??

Oh well, do I want Cutler or Stafford? Hmmmm....I guess I will take Matthew Stafford.

Now, let me get on the phone w/GB and see if I can pull off that trade.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Now, let me get on the phone w/GB and see if I can pull off that trade.

Only if you also throw in the mascot, as I can't stand the cheeseheads...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Heldawg #787669 05/14/13 09:51 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Can I just say that Rivers sucks?

He sucks. He has always sucked. He has been the great beneficiary of having great players at all levels of his offense when times were good.

Hall of Fame running game, with great FB included.
Hall of Fame TE.
Very good to great stable of WRs.
Hall of Fame O-Coordinator

We've seen what happens now when you take away the HoF running game, when the HoF TE gets older and when you lose VJax. Now Turner is gone.

Watch what happens now. I think SD is looking at a Top 8 pick next year. And I've said it elsewhere...Rivers arm is shot. If he's a starting NFL QB in 2015 color me shocked.

Give Phillip Rivers a line. He'll give you a pro bowl season. If I have more time later I'll prove it. Clearly you haven't done your homework Billy!

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

as already noted, that is Matt Ryan. Stafford can have an argument as well, but Ryan is better.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 3 Players. . .

Link Copied to Clipboard