Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Below is a list of undrafted FA's the Browns have brought in. I took the time to list (in Red and Bold), as per NFLDraftScout, their overall player ranking and their position ranking.

Does anyone know and/or have any comments on any of these players?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Browns draft class of 2013 and undrafted free agents will practice for the first time as professional football players this weekend.

Browns rookie mini-camp takes place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Browns training facility in Berea.

The Browns first-round pick LSU's defensive end Barkevious Mingo is expected to be in attendance to begin the process of becoming an outside linebacker in Ray Horton's 3-4 defensive scheme. Mingo will wear number 51 for the Browns.

Third-round pick Leon McFadden, the cornerback out of San Diego State, is also expected to be in Berea as he looks to win the starting cornerback job opposite Joe Haden. Speaking of Haden, Joe's little brother, Josh, will also be a part of Browns rookie mini-camp. Josh Haden was a running back at Boston College.
Josh Haden was unranked in NFLDraftScouts RB's or FB's.

Don't expect to see sixth-round pick Jamoris Slaughter, the safety from Notre Dame this weekend. Slaughter is still recovering from a torn Achilles suffered last September that ended his college career. Slaughter did petition the NCAA for a sixth season of eligibility, but that request was denied.

Seventh-round pick Armonty Bryant will be in attendance despite his arrest for DUI this past weekend in Oklahoma.

Along with the draft class of 2013, 18 undrafted free agents will be in Berea hoping to keep their dreams of playing in the National Football League alive. Three of them have ties to northeast Ohio.

Running back Jamaine Cook is from Middleburg Heights. Cook played his college ball at Youngstown State.
Ranked as the 718th overall player and the 54th overall RB.

Defensive end Justin Staples is from Lakewood and played high school ball at St. Edward. Staples played at Illinois.
Unranked in NFLDraftScouts DE's or OLB's.

Wide receiver Perez Ashford is from Shaker Heights. Ashford played his college ball at Northern Illinois.
Ranked as the 747th overall player and the 101st overall WR

The rest of the undrafted free agents that will be a part of rookie mini-camp are:

Aaron Adams (OT, 6-5, 305, 5/16/1989, Eastern Kentucky, Lake Worth, Fla.)
Ranked as the 572nd best player and 43rd best OT.

Josh Aubrey (CB, 5-10, 200, 4/9/1991, Stephen F. Austin, Tyler, Texas)
Not among the top 100 CB's NFLDraftScout has rated.

Braxston Cave (C, 6-3, 305, 7/29/1989, Notre Dame, Granger, Ind.)
Ranked as the 184th overall player and the 5th overall C.

Dominique Croom (WR, 6-2, 190, 4/26/1991, Central Arkansas, Cherokee, Ala.)
Ranked as the 813th overall player and the 113th overall WR.

Keenan Davis (WR, 6-2, 220, 1/30/1991, Iowa, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
Ranked as the 493rd overall player and the 58th overall WR.

Mike Edwards (WR, 5-11, 200, 12/14/1989, Texas-El Paso, Glendora, Calif.)
Ranked as the 827th overall player and the 119th overall WR.

Paipai Falemalu (DE, 6-3, 240, 11/30/1990, Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii)
Not among the top 70 DE's NFLDraftScout has rated.

Chris Faulk (OT, 6-6, 330, 1/21/1990, Louisiana State, Slidell, La.)
Ranked as the 257 overall player and the 21st overall OT.

Caylin Hauptmann (OT, 6-3, 300, 7/10/1991, Florida International, Los Angeles, Calif.)
Ranked as the 855the overall player and the 46th overall OG.

Garrett Hoskins (TE, 6-2, 250, 8/5/1990, Eastern Michigan, Grand Rapids, Mich.)
Not found in NFLDraftScout's 50 ranked TE's.

Dave Kruger (DT, 6-5, 285, 5/17/1990, Utah, Orem, Utah)
Ranked as the 619th overall player and the 47 overall DT.

Cordell Roberson (WR, 6-4, 205, 12/3/1990, Stephen F. Austin, Jefferson, Texas)
Ranked as the 544th overall player and the 64th overall WR.

Travis Tannahill (TE, 6-4, 255, 2/8/1990, Kansas State, Overland Park, Kansas)
Ranked as the 831st overall player and the 44th overall TE.

Ricky Tunstall (S, 5-11, 195, 12/30/1990, Delaware, Bridgeton, N.J.)
Unranked in NFLDraftScouts SS's, FS's, od CB's.

Martin Wallace (OT, 6-6, 305, 4/22/1990, Temple, New York, N.Y.)
Ranked as the 696th overall player and the 48the overall OT.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Braxston Cave (C, 6-3, 305, 7/29/1989, Notre Dame, Granger, Ind.)
Ranked as the 184th overall player and the 5th overall C.

I'm actually surprised that Braxston Cave wasn't drafted. He'll make the team.

Legend
Legend
Browns sign five players who tried out at rookie minicamp, waive five others
By NATE ULRICH Published: May 13, 2013
The Browns signed cornerbacks Akeem Auguste and Abdul Kanneh, punter T.J. Conley, nose tackle Nicolas Jean-Baptiste and linebacker Ausar Walcott, the team announced today.

All of the aforementioned players participated in the Browns’ rookie minicamp this past weekend on a tryout basis.

The Browns also waived cornerback Kevin Barnes, wide receiver Mike Edwards, defensive end Paipai Falemalu, punter Jake Schum and safety Ricky Tunstall. The Browns signed Barnes and Schum in March. Edwards, Falemalu and Tunstall were undrafted free agents who landed with the team April 30.

Here’s information provided by the Browns about the five players who tried out and earned contracts:

A four-year letterman at the University of South Carolina (2008-10, 12), Auguste appeared in 43 contests with 22 starts. He totaled 133 career tackles, one interception, 10 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one sack. Born October 10, 1989, the 5-10, 185-pound Auguste is a native of Hollywood, Florida and attended Chaminade-Madonna High School and Fork Union Military Academy.
Kanneh spent two seasons at New Mexico Highlands University (2011-12), where he totaled 107 career tackles and nine interceptions, with four returned for touchdowns. He also returned 21 kickoffs for 425 yards (20.3 average) with two touchdowns and 13 punts for 215 yards (16.5 average), while also blocking five kicks. Born September 9, 1990, the 5-10, 185-pound Kanneh is a native of London England, and attended Potomac High School in Virginia.
Originally signed by the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent in 2009, Conley spent training camp with the Jets in 2009 and 2010 before emerging as the team’s starting punter in 2011. He appeared in all 16 games in 2011, booting 92 punts for 3,926 yards (42.7 average) with 32 punts inside the 20-yard line. Conley spent training camp with the Minnesota Vikings in 2012. A four-year letterman at the University of Idaho (2005-08), Conley led the NCAA in punting (47.4 average) as a senior. Born August 29, 1985, the 6-1, 215-pound Conley is a native of Walla Walla, Washington, where he attended DeSales High School.
Originally signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2012, Jean-Baptiste spent four weeks on the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad last season. A four-year letterman at Baylor University (2008-11), he appeared in 49 games with 21 starts and totaled 94 career tackles, five sacks, one fumble recovery and one forced fumble. Born March 8, 1989, the 6-1, 330-pounder is a native of Houston, Texas, where he attended Strake Jesuit College Preparatory.
A four-year letterman at the University of Virginia (2009-12), Walcott appeared in 45 games with 22 starts. He totaled 128 career tackles, 1.5 sacks, four passes defensed and one fumble recovery. Born January 1, 1990, the 6-2, 230-pound Walcott is a native of Hackensack, N.J., where he attended Hackensack High School.

web page

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
lol.. Barnes gone already..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

lol.. Barnes gone already..

That was quick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Ive heard a lot of good things about Chris Faulk, the Tackle out of LSU. I heard that the only reason he didnt get drafted was because of an injury and that 20+ teams were interested in him as an UDFA. If we could move him to Guard that would be great.

Legend
Legend
Faulk is a nice player. He is a solid LT type prospect, but maybe he can be a solid LG type.

I love the idea of having strong competition at as many positions as possible. I would love to be forced to cut some really damn good players.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I only watched one game on Faulk, and I was unimpressed. I'd rather wr signed the guy who replaced him in Dworaczyk. Probably academic, though, as I don't think there's a spot for him on the roster. Thomas, Greco, Mack, Pinkston, Schwartz, Gilkey, Lauvao... Maybe he can compete for that last spot. IIRC Greco can back up at center, so maybe they keep another swing tackle. Best case scenario for Faulk is both Greco and Gilkey win starting jobs.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
"I only watched one game on Faulk, and I was unimpressed."

Well. at least after all that time spent on your evaluation, we can conclude that you are an authority on the topic!

Legend
Legend
Is our tackle pick from last year garbage? Ryan Miller? no one ever mentions him.

Legend
Legend
At least I said what my opinion is based on. How much have the people who are excited about him watched him? I'm not saying others aren't allowed to have a different opinion, but that's what led me to mine.

Turk, I was pretty disappointed with Miller's play when he got on the field last year.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

We are naturally all rooters of the Underdog. All these kids are the Underdogs of the NFL. Hope someone steps up n wins a roster spot. Use to be the draft would go on to like ROUND 20 n stuff??? There are plenty of HOFers from those rounds. Of course NCAA has gotten more sophisticated n thanks to Paul Brown the Evaluating more scientific - still nobody can measure the heart. Adrenaline can do amazing things...what average kid will turn those adrenaline juices on regularly n surprise us all.

I'm always happy to hear of a Punter coming along. Those kids can come from Anywhere n become great!

Good luck to all!
Barnes gone...McFadden n Owens rising up. Joining Haden, Skrine, Wade and Bademosi with room for one of the UDFA's to earn a spot!

Don't like the sound of Slaughter asking for another year? I guess if he shows he is back to health he would be a 2nd rounder? Maybe just a smart thing. Hope he realizes his 2nd contract is the big pay day...he has 3 years to make his mark!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Did we miss Josh Haden?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Did we miss Josh Haden?

First one named...talked about our CBs n then stated speaking of Joe Haden.....Josh was then named. I think TTT even put it in BOLD.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh well, Schum, the punter was probably the most perplexing roster addition ever. Maybe Lombardi owed Schum's father or something, but this dude was a backup punter in College and AVG 39yds per punt, lol

Good thing that the coaches "corrected" that...at least now we have a legitimate competition for the position with Conley and Lanning

With Barnes gone, let the battle for the last CB position begin between all the UDFAs, Wade and Prince Miller, as I consider Haden, McFadden, Skrine and Owens "locks". Bademosi is also a lock as 10th DB/ST ace

Also surprised that none of the two QBs were signed, so with that T.Lewis will be kept as the no3 QB by default

Jean-Baptiste will battle Kitchen for the backup NT job

We also only have only one FB on the roster...and his name is Owen Marecic

The competition for backup OL jobs is WIDE open: I consider Thomas, Schwartz, Mack, Lauvao, Pinkston and Greco as only "locks" if healthy, so probably 2 or 3 more spots battled out between Cousins, Miller, Gilkey, Butler and all the UDFAs....my guess is that Miller and Gilkey battle for a backup G job and Cousins, Butler and Faulk for swing OT

At ILB, very strange to see not even an UDFA brought in for competition, but right now I consider DQ, Robertson and JMJ as "locks" with Carder, Fort, Moten and Rau battling for the last spot (possibly two if we only go with 6 DL, which I doubt, we will keep 7 DL, 8 LBs and 10 DBs)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
There have been rumors that we will look at Hoyer now that he's been released by the Cardinals.

We have Smelley at FB/TE in addition to Marecic. I don't know how Kellen Davis and Gary Barnidge (and Smelley, for that matter) might fit, maybe in an H-Back role.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh well, Schum, the punter was probably the most perplexing roster addition ever. Maybe Lombardi owed Schum's father or something, but this dude was a backup punter in College and AVG 39yds per punt, lol

Probably a case of Schum's agent having a good working relationship with someone in out FO and begging for the kid to be given a shot as a favor. Costs us nothing to but a little time to give him a try, and it was just during Rookie Minicamp.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Is our tackle pick from last year garbage? Ryan Miller? no one ever mentions him.

I was really pulling for him out of college. I saw him in TC and my god was he horrid. Worst pass pro I've ever seen of a pro. Too thin built to be a OG, too slow of feet to be a OT. I don't suspect he'll make the team this year. Gilkey is probably going to take his place. I find it hard to believe he could be any worse.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I was really pulling for him out of college. I saw him in TC and my god was he horrid. Worst pass pro I've ever seen of a pro. Too thin built to be a OG, too slow of feet to be a OT. I don't suspect he'll make the team this year. Gilkey is probably going to take his place. I find it hard to believe he could be any worse.

Me too predator I really liked him coming out of Colorado, but Miller has been a Big disappointment and I agree he will be let go ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
thx for yalls opinion.. hadn't heard much on him since he's been drafted.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Good tidbits DJ

OL my passion if you can't tell - All about Roster spots. Will we carry 8 OL in the past we have carried as many as 10. Some of these kids we can hide on the Practice Squad so that they would have to really shine to earn a 53 roster spot. I think we just might have a Diamond in the rough find with Gilkey...he is seriously in shape. I was propping up a perfect fit for us Long from Oregon liking him to a bigger stronger Eric Steinbach. Well Gilkey seems to offer the same. I think with his footwork he just might end up taking over the LG position straight out. Still have to see him move laterally. I try not to get excited about the Long Shot guys but this kid seems too good to be true...He catches on we are talking mad skills here just not normally found in round 7!

Miller I didn't like last year but I'm a big believer in Progress. It happens usually the biggest jump in progress (as progress should never stop) usually is from year 1 to 2. So I wish not to have final judgment from his rookie season. Its in his hands. Cousins we know what we got - This actually is a good litmus test on these young kids developing. Cousins gets cut during Turk days...tells me the kids are coming along. He remains tells me the kids are looking good till hitting started then were disappointments.

Curious on your call of NT. I see us having Taylor #1 n Hughes #2...will we carry more than that? Will Kitchen trim down and be a DE competitor? or Swingman to play both as a backup depth? I liked Kitchen's motor...lot of hustle in the kid!

DL will we carry more than 6? What I saw in last years Steelers Roster (6)??? Going on memory as I had checked as soon as we hired Horton n heard he was running a Steeler type of Attack D. We got 1st unit: Bryant Taylor, Rubin 2nd unit: Winn, Hughes and Bryant (rookie) That is 6 n proposed depth chart. Will we carry a 7th if so Kitchen has a big step on it as he could play NT as well as DE making him the ideal 7th for Depth.

It could spell out how many OL we will carry.

Special Teams is again a key - who studs out on Special teams for these kids! Its how most will make this team n any NFL team. Then develop into a contributor on the field of play!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

We got 1st unit: Bryant Taylor, Rubin 2nd unit: Winn, Hughes and Bryant (rookie) That is 6 n proposed depth chart. Will we carry a 7th if so Kitchen has a big step on it as he could play NT as well as DE making him the ideal 7th for Depth.JMHO

I was thinking about this the other day. Given that Bryant has had issues already this offseason we may try to stow him away on the PS and let Kitchen and Sanford battle out for the 6th spot. Sanford has been a good effort guy for 3 years for us. Kitchen also has one more year of PS eligibility but IMO Kitchen is the better player. I forsee it most likely Kitchen makes us 6 deep with Bryant on the PS.

Gilkey has shown too much positive this offseason already. Someone would snag him off the PS I bet. So given our main six I think Cave and Gilkey might round us out. I would not be surprised to see Cousins out. Unless they feel Cave would survive on the PS. I think if someone has an injury at C they'd pick him off quick. He was the top undrafted C after all. Ah gotta love OL talk.

Legend
Legend
I'm really bummed that they're pushing Bryant to DE. I think he would have been the ideal backup for Kruger. He's big and strong, can rush the passer, and can play the run well. Against the run I saw him draw a holding penalty on Travis Bond (who reminds me of Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba because of his weird shoulders and arms) and make a stop at the LOS on a one-armed tackle at the Texas vs. the Nation game.

I think we're stacked at DL with the three you listed as the front-line and DE Hughes (which he said he has experience in from Cincinnati), DE Winn, and NT Kitchen in reserve.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The kid Cave from ND...actually I think the guy he will be in competition with will be Greco currently our back up Center. He'll have to show some versatility playing OG as well as Center. That will be the key. But that also will be a competition I'd like to see more of when Camp gets underway.

Just remember this: Tucker I think before Joe T, was our best OLman. Was drafted (4th round???) and was a college Center.

If the kid has game I'd love to trade Greco to the Eagles n Shurmur who brought him here from the Rams.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Greco was better than Pinkston last year. Why would/should we trade him? Even if Greco turns out to be nothing but a fantastic sub .... that has more value that what we would likely get for him.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

I'm really bummed that they're pushing Bryant to DE. I think he would have been the ideal backup for Kruger. He's big and strong, can rush the passer, and can play the run well. Against the run I saw him draw a holding penalty on Travis Bond (who reminds me of Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba because of his weird shoulders and arms) and make a stop at the LOS on a one-armed tackle at the Texas vs. the Nation game.

I think we're stacked at DL with the three you listed as the front-line and DE Hughes (which he said he has experience in from Cincinnati), DE Winn, and NT Kitchen in reserve.

You have to consider economics when you look at a position group. We have a lot of young up n coming guys as well as 3 legit starters. Rubin and Taylor are FA in 2015. Very possible Rubin will not be back as he will more than likely be the lesser of the 3 starters while commanding a vet premium. Its possible this could even be his last season if we decide we can't dish out big money to 3 DL once our cap gets tighter. With Hughes, Winn and Bryant in the wings it creates stability for 5-6 years at least. We shouldn't have to worry about DL for a long time.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

The kid Cave from ND...actually I think the guy he will be in competition with will be Greco currently our back up Center. He'll have to show some versatility playing OG as well as Center. That will be the key. But that also will be a competition I'd like to see more of when Camp gets underway.

Just remember this: Tucker I think before Joe T, was our best OLman. Was drafted (4th round???) and was a college Center.

If the kid has game I'd love to trade Greco to the Eagles n Shurmur who brought him here from the Rams.

JMHO

Yeah as Pink and Lava don't play C he is our only backup. I just don't see us getting much in a trade. You can never have too deep an OL. Unless we get a killer deal I would never ship a solid OL just to ship him.

Especially because we aren't exactly set at either OG even if Greco plays as well as he did late last year. Me and you are the sole members of the Lava fan club but he does still need a jump for me to consider him incumbent.

Like I said I don't think Cave lasts on the PS squad or Gilkey. I think Cousins gets the boot and Miller gets the PS. I don't want to risk losing Cave or Gilkey at all. I think both have the upside of a good NFL OG. If cave can swing OG/C and Gilkey OG/OT I think we'll be alright.

I never realized Tuck was a college C.

V
Legend
Legend
V
In my eyes, Greco was our most effective guard last year. No way should we trade him.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Interesting update. I just saw on twitter that Greco is working at RG and Lava LG. I remember when Lava came in everyone thought he was a better candidate for LG. Pink is working at 2nd team LG.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Greco was better than Pinkston last year. Why would/should we trade him?

Accented with a Crazy...yeah I'm crazy but there is one thing. Warhop thought otherwise. Greco didn't earn a starting job...he got one when the GUY WHO BEAT HIM OUT of a job went on IR.

Possibly the O looked better timing wise when Greco came in - frankly its a tough call I'm not big on either one. But in all talks with coaches or FO about the OL I cannot remember one word about Greco starting - its all about will Pinkston be able to play as if - He shows up he has the job. I know there are a lot of Greco is good out there. I don't see it...I see Greco is Serviceable and that is about it.

But I will continue to explain the thought process cause well I'm just Crazy

Greco is the only Back up Center we got.
If Cave Makes the team as our Back up Center it takes away some of the VALUE of Greco...If Cave makes the team n they like not only his backup at center but also OG which I would again would think that is very probable IF HE MAKES THE TEAM.

This again makes Greco "EXPENDABLE"

I seriously doubt Greco will make this team AS A STARTER (Unless Pinkston has to retire or something) don't either bother debating this - its been stated by our OL coach 2 years in a row Heck in 2011 Pinkston was a late round rookie n beat him out

And that is with our HC n OC hand picking him here to follow - I could be wrong we might have even traded for him (nothing much)??? So please don't take my word for it.

Why would we consider trading him???

Well call me crazy but I think it is always a GOOD MOVE if you can get a draft pick for a "BACK UP"

The entire thing here is CAVE not Greco if this kid turns out to be a STEAL...I don't think he has a chance to take over for Mack - not what I'm saying. I'm saying proves himself too good to Cut too good to make it to the Practice Squad. Will determine a lot with Greco's position as a back up on this team.

I'm very surprised at the love Greco has gotten from some Dawgs very surprising...I have a pretty good eye and "SOFT" is not a good characterization for an OLman to have.

I guess its just me

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I don't think Cave is very good. I think Greco beats him out. JMO.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I will have to take your word on this issue EO. I do not have a TV to rewatch games and study our own guys anymore.

The only thing I will say is every bozo is saying Greco was a top 20 OG last season. He is starting right now at RG in camp and Pinkston is BACKUP LG. Pinkston is 100% from what I've been told.

I respect Warhop but everyone makes mistakes and people can change. Especially an average athlete at OG in the 4th or 5th year as I know you have said many a times. Sometimes the lightbuld comes on.

I never really honed in on him in games but I can say he never made himself noticeable which is an incredible positive for an OL when I even find myself screaming "Joe Thomas your better than that" at times. \

I think Greco is an average OG who was between two great OL. I don't think he has an upside but then again I think Pinkston is overrated as can be. I really could care less who starts across from Lava. As long as they are as good or better than him the OL will flourish. Because of what you say I will keep an open mind an eye on Greco now this season.

Legend
Legend
Greco was far superior to Pinkston last year. The line really gelled when he entered the starting lineup.

I thought that Greco did a great job fitting in between Thomas and Mack. He might be better suited for RG duty, I'm not sure on that though. I think that he's probably the most polished Guard on the roster right now.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Greco is better suited to LG than RG. I can't even picture Lava Man at LG. The guy has some of the worst feet I have ever seen.

Your LG is the guy who does more pulling, trapping, and gap blocking. He is the guy who needs the agility to get to the second level. Lava Man is not that. I thought Greco did a great job last year. I thought it was another one of Heckert's meaningless moves when he brought him over here, but the cat played very well.

I would start him at LG and let Pinky and Lava Man battle out for the RG position. Hopefully, Gilkey will be a stud and push both to the bench. Not holding my breath though. LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
2 things:

1. There's a reason Cave went undrafted...he's this year's Garth Gerhart. He will be happy to make the PS imho

2. Greco was Lava 2 years ago when he was let go for nothing by a team with a horrible OL (Rams)...goes to show that some OL need time to adjust from OT to G/C. I expect at least one of Lava or Pinkston to get to Greco levels between this and next season....just let them continue to play together and they'll improve. That said, if Greco has a better camp, then he should start, no doubt. We will most probably need at least 6 starting caliber OL anyway over the course of the season

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have no clue on the prowess of Cave I am responding to a thread on UDFA players in rookie camp. As in a What IF scenario that this kid is good. Personally I don't expect more than one or two UDFA guys to make the team n that will more than likely have to do with ST not making headway to the starting 22 or the next level of depth.

Predator:
Quote:

The only thing I will say is every bozo is saying Greco was a top 20 OG last season.

Every? won't hold you to every but I missed the even ONE - please don't tell me this is due to a STAT...there is no stats for OL just Film n grades. Its about winning the battles. Greco did not win enough.

Quote:

I think Greco is an average OG who was between two great OL. I don't think he has an upside but then again I think Pinkston is overrated as can be. I really could care less who starts across from Lava. As long as they are as good or better than him the OL will flourish.

Very fair statement. Greco n Pinkston I'm not really satisfied. I can assume we are going to an all out Zone blocking scheme...I would think Greco has a big time advantage on Pinkston in that venue.

Quote:

He is starting right now at RG in camp and Pinkston is BACKUP LG. Pinkston is 100% from what I've been told.

1. Its without pads - Greco's positives is all in his footwork he'll look great without hitting. But I am a firm believer in PROGRESS - for all I know is the kid worked hard on his upper body strength in the off season. If so I can see him actually becoming good.
2. If that is the case LG Pinkston is backup n Greco RG...can we Assume Lava is the LG? I'm curious on that how that will look. It could be eh OK or actually Awesome. Especially in our Run game. I do know the LG last season was often bull rushed.

Ytown: Agreed the entire O started gel at the same time Greco came on board. Due to him? Ehhh I think not. More so on the entire O if anything it was Schwartz light coming on that had more to do with it than Greco.
No mistake about it Lava is our best OG at this time. Can he be upgraded on? I say definitely YES but I didn't see us draft a 1st or 2nd round OG that could upgrade.

Vers: can't disagree with you more. I know you see Lava go to the ground a lot due to the DL/LB he has under control leaves laterally (too late) but his push is so hard that he falls when they leave. True. But he gets to the 2nd level a heck of a lot better than you give credit. He is not just an In Line Base blocker. He pass off real well n takes the pass. Anyone will look good between Joe T n Mack but possibly he can make it Look Great instead of good. If that is the case. We actually see who is where when training camp opens n they are wearing PADS!

Warhop is one of the best OL coaches we have had. He has survived in 3 Regimes. I'm pretty sure Sullivan was brought in to help with the transition to the Zone Blocking Scheme. Warhop has not made mistakes nothing major as in putting the worst guy out there. But I think a kid like Greco can get Stronger...better than a kid like Pinkston to get better feet n quicker.

Dj: True - as stated before I don't know Jack about Cave except that he was rated high by the draft nicks. Probably due to the ND status. We still have Gephart or did we release him? So that will be the battle.

True also I'm a big believer of Progress I expect all 3 to get Better.

To all:
Zone blocking we got to evaluate Center - OG - OT - TE in runs to a side. Off side is all 2nd level stuff. Note if this is the case I see Two TE Davis big blocker n Cameron split out/motion from H-back/slot. If we need numbers at the point of attack...we'll get the offside guard pulling into the holes as a lead blocker.

Also there are 3 stages of Zone blocking: Inside Zone, Outside Zone n Stretch. I see us utilizing Greco in the later two better than Pinkston...possibly better than Lava in the Outside Zone. We'll see.

As always JMHO...I love OL stuff though thanks for the discussion to all!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Me and you are the sole members of the Lava fan club

I started that club bro. I have been bashing Lava bashers from day 1

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I can vouch for that. GM has inexplicably been deep set in Lauvao's corner since the get-go.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

Me and you are the sole members of the Lava fan club

I started that club bro. I have been bashing Lava bashers from day 1

Ah my bad! I just know me and EO on the browns board were bashed quite a bit for it. Always fun listening to people who go off of madden ratings when grading OL.

EO it all started with the Bleacher Reports gradings. They graded him that high and I've seen others follow suit. It was all grades of tape no stats. It could be copycat or legit. I would think with how much our OL improved when he took over that there must be some merit to it. I would check it out myself but I have no tape for last year. If you get a chance grade him out a couple games. I'd love to see what you have him as when you focus on him.

Legend
Legend
I like Lauvao as well, and have pretty much all along. I think that he's a solid RG.

I really liked our OL last year with Greco at LG and Lauvao at RG. I think that is a strong line.

People (in general) ned to chill a bit about the offense. Last year we had a new QB, RB, WR, RT, and LG ..... and 2nd year FB, WR, plus a 2nd year TE who played a fair amount ......

That's 7 of 11 starters on offense who were either new, or on their 2nd season as starters ...... plus a young TE who played a fair amount. We also used 2 other rookie WR (Benjamin and Cooper) along with a 2nd year receiver (Norwood).

We had a LOT of youth on offense last year .... and a lot of guys who had to learn to play together. We played one of the more complex offenses in the NFL as far as terminology and the precision required by each and every player. I look forward to this year with great anticipation. I can't wait to get it started!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Undrafted F/A College Players in Rookie Mini-Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard