Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Not a bad list... Interesting time for T.J. (assuming he stays healthy) & Jabal with the new "aggressive" D and an opportunity for them to cut loose. I personally would also add another five in Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Hardesty, Mitchell Schwartz & Phil Taylor to the list. I am "hopeful" for Weeden. Who are your "breakout" players?

Cleveland Browns: 5 Players Poised for a Breakout Campaign in 2013
By
Mike Hoag

Every new offseason brings optimism to the hearts and minds of the Cleveland Browns’ loyal fanbase.

That’s especially true given the long-suffering group’s inability to give up on their beloved Browns. Changing head coaches every couple of seasons doesn’t hurt either.

With constant change there are always new feelings and fresh optimism.

“This time they got it right,” you might think to yourself as training camp approaches and the Browns prepare for yet another coaching and scheme change in 2013.

In order to have gotten it right, several key players are going to need to have huge seasons for the team this year.

There’s always next year for the Browns but these individuals are going to standout now and make us all believe that our time is finally coming.

Josh Gordon

The Cleveland Browns’ past regime took a chance by spending a second-round pick on former Baylor University wide receiver Josh Gordon.

As a rookie, the imposing 6’3”, 225-pound pass-catcher rewarded the team by snagging 50 passes for 805 yards with five touchdowns.

Gordon utilizes his size, speed and route-running ability to stretch the field. Brandon Weeden’s big arm found him time and time again downfield en route to a 16.1 yard-per-catch average for the rookie receiver.

His numbers as a rookie were produced within Pat Shurmur’s dink-and-dunk West Coast offense. Sure, Shurmur took some shots downfield, but the success of his offense was predicated on receivers picking up yards after the catch and short but efficient passing attempts.

It’s hard to imagine a player with Gordon’s potential not only flourishing, but dominating, within a more pass-friendly offense engineered by Norv Turner.

Jordan Cameron

New Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski knows the importance of having a play making tight end catching passes in his offense.

The former college tight end got his start in the NFL as a tight ends coach for the Cleveland Browns in 2004. He isn’t alone in his appreciation for the position either.

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner masterfully employed athletic tight end Antonio Gates as a primary component of the San Diego Chargers offense. Oh yeah, Chudzinski was with Turner in San Diego and worked hand in hand with Gates during the 2005-06 and 2009-10 seasons.

That’s where Jordan Cameron comes into play. Like Gates, Cameron is a converted basketball player with refined athletic ability. He’s especially quick and physically gifted for a man of his size (6’5”, 245 lbs).

If utilized properly he will create match up nightmares when covered by linebackers, safeties and smaller nickel backs.

Trent Richardson

Pass-catchers aren’t the only players who will benefit from a scheme change in Cleveland.

Norv Turner has fielded the NFL’s leading rusher on five separate occasions (three different backs) during his coaching career—Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Second-year running back Trent Richardson will also be a big benefactor of and catalyst for a potentially explosive offensive performance by the team in 2013.

As a rookie, Richardson totaled 950 yards on the ground and crossed the goal line 11 times. While that was a solid performance, more is expected of the former No. 3-overall pick.

Richardson will also presumably be healthy to begin the season. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last August which slowed down his development in the Browns’ offense from the get-go. Then, he broke two ribs in Week 6 and that injury lingered throughout the rest of the campaign.

If healthy, there’s no reason to think Richardson will be anything less than brilliant this season.

T.J. Ward

Ray Horton brings a very solid resume to the table as he assumes the defensive coordinator duties for the Cleveland Browns.

His front seven is widely regarded as a dominant bunch who relentlessly rushes the passer to create opportunities for his secondary. But those secondary players have their fun too.

Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes were utilized in blitzes and often played up in the box, with the other safety playing Cover 1.

Allowing Browns’ safety T.J. Ward to roam and blitz while playing closer to the line of scrimmage will maximize his talents. He hasn’t had a bad career until this point, but he will likely shine in his new role in Horton’s defensive scheme.

Jabal Sheard

Since draft day, a lot of attention has shifted from Jabaal Sheard to Cleveland Browns rookie pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo.

Sheard, a 4-3 defensive end in Cleveland’s defense during the past two seasons, was scouted and talked about as a potential great fit as a rush-linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

The third-year pass-rusher will finally be making that conversion. We’ll get front-row seats to see just why he was so highly touted coming out of college.

In two seasons with the Browns, Sheard complied 15.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and eight pass deflections while coming off of the edge of their 4-3 front.

He has already proven to be a reliable presence for the Browns in opposing teams’ backfields. But he could be ready to explode this season.

Ray Horton likes to move around his players to find potential mismatches. Sheard’s versatility, ability to beat offensive linemen and athleticism will allow Horton to put him in position to exploit those favorable match ups.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think a lot of times our fans have a skewed vision of our players' skill/potential/talent/etc. In my opinion too many of us are quick to give Josh Gordon the "#1 Receiver" tag just because of some positive signs last year. I am of the opinion that Josh Gordon is going to have a 2nd year slump (notice how his numbers declined near the end of last year) and still has a long way to go as a polished, reliable WR. I hope I'm wrong.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Have you heard how "conditioned" he is coming into camp? According to reports, he's ripped and ready. Came into mini camp turning heads and looking good, smooth, with great hands. Benjamin too is causing a stir with crisper routes and a bit of a swagger. The addition of Bess, by all accounts, is that he has already had a very positive influence on the WR corps, and on Weeden as well. I'm very excited about our receivers... and really hoping Weeden can get them the ball accurately and on time. If he can... watch out.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
TJ is the only surprise on this list IMO. I expected Travis Benjamin to be on there.

Legend
Legend
I'm not disputing that he's a physical freak and has all the potential to be a #1 WR ... and I hope the reports are true. But I've heard the fluff pieces before, especially about our 2nd Round WRs. Robiskie had good reports. Quincy was said to be working on his hands constantly. Same with Andre Davis. Last year Holmgren sold to the media that MoMass was going to turn heads.

I hope this year's praise of Gordon is accurate and holds true.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think one key factor that lacked with our WR's was a veteran presence. Bess fits that role nicely.

I do feel it will be a big benefit to Little, Gordon and Benjiman.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm not disputing that he's a physical freak and has all the potential to be a #1 WR ... and I hope the reports are true. But I've heard the fluff pieces before, especially about our 2nd Round WRs. Robiskie had good reports. Quincy was said to be working on his hands constantly. Same with Andre Davis. Last year Holmgren sold to the media that MoMass was going to turn heads.

We do get these fluff pieces year in and year out only to end up being disappointed. I'm not sold these players will break out, but I do feel with Bess in the fold, it will be someone that will help them and motivate them.

I want to see results and don't really put any faith in these fluff articles. I did for some years but learned my lesson the hard way on that one.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Arps n Cal Dawg: Benjamin I don't see him coming out in any way outside of possibly some success at Kickoff Returns.

1. I was totally disappointed in him on the field of play. A good example is that INT they show everytime Ed Reed would come up in discussion on NFL Network. Benjamin I think was doing a 7 Corner route. Downfield. Weeden under threw him. Ed Reed came sprinting over from his Safety position n makes the catch on the run. During that entire exchange the shot if from a QB view (but close up) you see Benjamin just standing there at a complete stop not making ONE MOVE TOWARDS the ball. Then he just watches Reed make the INT n does nothing to break it up or even tackle him. This was just one play seen over n over. But consistently in his play - HE PLAYED SCARED! I don't see him making it in the NFL n if he takes on some big hits as a KO return guy. Look for him to wussy out there n run out of bounds every play or take the knee.

2. There is a reason why we went out n got Bess for the slot. This currently puts Benjamin as our 4th WR n no room for him to climb up. With a possibility of the kid we signed from Buffalo healing n dropping Benjamin even further.

So in lieu of that I really don't see Benjamin as being a break out player at all. Actually if he doesn't make it as a KO return guy who could be Cut.

Then some say surprised about Ward??? Huh? only health questions but because of his persona being that of an attack type of SS n has been in a very low key none aggressive D - but the few times he did attack he looked GREAT.

I thought Little btw broke out last year in the 2nd half...you can see the light just come on! His routes got so crisp his comfort was there n caught everything. His blocking is awesome!

My breakout guy is Gipson

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I read an article that said that Gordon and Little spent the off-season working out together frequently, and that Gordon learned a lot about taking care of his body (food, stretching, etc) from Little. To me that speaks well to Little's leadership, and Gordon's desire to be the best be can.

I agree that it is dangerous to read to much into off-season transformations. However, many players take huge steps forward, especially between their rookie and 2nd seasons, and between 2nd and 3rd seasons. I see no reason why Little and Gordon can't be the type of players who make those huge improvements.

I will say that I think that Little is the most likely to take that next big step, because he has already shown that he can make one huge step forward.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Remember when Brady Quinn came out ripped and just tore it up, oh wait...

OK, Now Im done.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was very happy to see the improvement in the hands of Little the second half of last season. If he continues that way, we actually have a real, legit. WR in him.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I get your point, but I wouldn't put Robo or No-Mass anywhere near the same category as Gordon. His hands aren't and never were an issue. Did he make a crucial drop at a critical moment in the game against the Ravens? Yes, but he was flying backwards and landed on his back. He has very good hands and I only expect him to get better. He came into camp extremely out of shape on a short off season after sitting out for a year, yet still managed to have a very impressive rookie year. He gets open, fights for the ball and if you get him behind the linebackers he's almost impossible to bring down. IMHO, he has the tools, skills and the build to be a true #1. I'm leaning on the optimistic side with this guy.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

(notice how his numbers declined near the end of last year)

Easily attributable to a combination of two things: the Rookie Wall, and also teams realizing that he's the real deal and that he has to be accounted for.

Remember, he'd never played a season that long before, and he was doing it after being out of football for a year. Not saying that it is definitely the case, but I'm certain it was a factor just as it is for almost every rookie.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I can list my expectations but I really know little beyond a causal observer with biases.

I truly truly believe Gordon will be a monster. Like 1400+ yard 15+ TD monster. (If the Chud/Turner offense goes for that many WR yards) We didn't get to see him do a single jump ball last season....I can't remember a single time we had him posted up in the end zone against a CB. He screams freak athlete #1 WR to me. Randy Moss incarnate. This guy will dominate.

An obvious oversight.. Weeden in this offense may turn into DA 2007. That would be a heck of a break out IMO. Whether he turns into DA 2008 afterwards will be the dilemma during next years draft.

T Rich.. If he is healthy we should be a good season. I have a stick up my butt over him not being a LeSean McCoy / Barry Sanders clone as that is what I like over the Emmitt Smith type, but I'll get over it. Lord I hope he is healthy this season.

Frankly I am more excited for a mad bomber offense than the run game, but that area will succeed as well.

Statistically Cameron "should" do well. I don't know if I've seen enough of him blocking to have him in there as a #1 TE. It kind of surprises me we didn't get someone else. If he is our #1 he should put up some good numbers.

I don't know if it is fair to say TJ will have a break out year. He has done pretty well so far already. Putting him in the box will help, and could get him in the pro-bowl, but he's already a good player. Nothing to prove IMO.

Sheard may get lost in the mix depending on if he starts or not. OLB will be an interesting committee to watch.

I expect nothing from Benjamin aside from being a punt returner. If he does anything on the offense I will be very surprised.

Lord help us at CB #2. Is it going to be McFadden?

A pass over for "break out" is Haden. I think statistically with the increased pass rush we may see more interceptions from him than we have. He's already damn good though.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Tab, I see Benjamin's potential breakout as a 3rd guy on the outside. I don't think he's going to be in the slot unless Bess goes down. I know the play you're talking about... IIRC, there was a serious disconnect between Weeden and Benjamin on that play as well. Either is was a short pass or Benjamin ran the route too deep, my take at the time is that it was a problem with the route running. Admittedly he didn't show much "gumption" on the field his rookie year. I expect that to change as he matures because as you point out, if he doesn't step it up, he'll drop down and possibly off the roster. He does have tremendous speed, and according to reports, (FWIW) he's running crisp routs and showing good hands. He could become a serious deep ball threat if he can consistently catch the bombs. This is where I see his breakout potential.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I don't know how many of you love Little like I do but he is going to surprise people this year. I have followed the kid since UNC. Last year he had 6 drops and 11 receptions in the first five games. A lot of the media started spewing how his future was in trouble as at that point he was our top guy.

He asked DQwell for permission to address the team. He said something to the tune of how he has been selfish in not committing as much as the other players and from there on out he promised tio put the work in and make sacrifices. I think Gordon coming on helped him realize he wasn't immune to being replaced.

In the last 11 games he had 42 receptions and 3 drops. He also topped 40 yards in 6 of our last 8 games. I think he's turned the corner and will be a dominant no2 man for us. No one in the league right now at WR(other than Mega) can match the kids raw power. He reminds me of Boldin the more he matures.

I think Weeden will struggle with the deep ball this year. I think Gordons nymber may be down from what we would like but Little and Bess should clean up well. Bess is an effort guy. He is the best thing that could have happened to this WR core. I couldn't have asked for a better vet presence.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ward isn't a surprise, this defense is perfect for him. As long as Gipson can play FS, otherwise it will still be a long season.

Sheard, I just don't agree with. He just hasn't shown me much. He seems like the odd guy out. I hope I'm wrong and he breaks out.

At any rate, that is a seriously weak list aside from Trent.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Remember when Brady Quinn came out ripped and just tore it up, oh wait...

OK, Now Im done.

Yeah, but Brady never did anything here. He was ripped ..... but he had no track record of positive accomplishment to rely upon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
ya just cant joke with some people...

Legend
Legend
Nope.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It could be a possibility...heck if you think of it Wallace has made a career really on running the deep route. I just don't see him on the field until we go to 4 WRs. I wish he was tougher that was my key. A lot of little WRs have made it but all were tough guys. I see Benjamin as scared guy not tough.

JMHO very hard to breakout if you cannot get on the field.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think Gordon has a chance for a very good year just on the system alone. It's up to him to put in the work, but he should be drooling at some of the plays that Chud and Norv will design for him. You can probably say the same for Cameron too.

Just my own opinion, but I think one of these young linebackers, (not including Mingo ) Robertson, Fort, JMJ, one of those guys is going to make a name for himself with this new defense. All of them have experience from last year to carryover, and I think the competition in camp will probably be pretty fierce.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

I'm getting a little sick of people talking about how Jordan Cameron is going to breakout. Seriously, what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

Its great that Chud's offense places a certain emphasis on the tight end but I really wish we had kept Watson as a PROVEN tight end and given him and Cameron both reps to have a sure thing as well as a guy we're trying to develop.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
By definition unless he gets hurt he will breakout. He has next to no production so he should top his career totals in 2 games. Thus he will be a breakout no matter what.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Not a bad list... Interesting time for T.J. (assuming he stays healthy) & Jabal with the new "aggressive" D and an opportunity for them to cut loose. I personally would also add another five in Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Hardesty, Mitchell Schwartz & Phil Taylor to the list. I am "hopeful" for Weeden. Who are your "breakout" players?

Cleveland Browns: 5 Players Poised for a Breakout Campaign in 2013
By
Mike Hoag

Every new offseason brings optimism to the hearts and minds of the Cleveland Browns’ loyal fanbase.

That’s especially true given the long-suffering group’s inability to give up on their beloved Browns. Changing head coaches every couple of seasons doesn’t hurt either.

With constant change there are always new feelings and fresh optimism.

“This time they got it right,” you might think to yourself as training camp approaches and the Browns prepare for yet another coaching and scheme change in 2013.

In order to have gotten it right, several key players are going to need to have huge seasons for the team this year.

There’s always next year for the Browns but these individuals are going to standout now and make us all believe that our time is finally coming.

Josh Gordon

The Cleveland Browns’ past regime took a chance by spending a second-round pick on former Baylor University wide receiver Josh Gordon.

As a rookie, the imposing 6’3”, 225-pound pass-catcher rewarded the team by snagging 50 passes for 805 yards with five touchdowns.

Gordon utilizes his size, speed and route-running ability to stretch the field. Brandon Weeden’s big arm found him time and time again downfield en route to a 16.1 yard-per-catch average for the rookie receiver.

His numbers as a rookie were produced within Pat Shurmur’s dink-and-dunk West Coast offense. Sure, Shurmur took some shots downfield, but the success of his offense was predicated on receivers picking up yards after the catch and short but efficient passing attempts.

It’s hard to imagine a player with Gordon’s potential not only flourishing, but dominating, within a more pass-friendly offense engineered by Norv Turner.

Jordan Cameron

New Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski knows the importance of having a play making tight end catching passes in his offense.

The former college tight end got his start in the NFL as a tight ends coach for the Cleveland Browns in 2004. He isn’t alone in his appreciation for the position either.

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner masterfully employed athletic tight end Antonio Gates as a primary component of the San Diego Chargers offense. Oh yeah, Chudzinski was with Turner in San Diego and worked hand in hand with Gates during the 2005-06 and 2009-10 seasons.

That’s where Jordan Cameron comes into play. Like Gates, Cameron is a converted basketball player with refined athletic ability. He’s especially quick and physically gifted for a man of his size (6’5”, 245 lbs).

If utilized properly he will create match up nightmares when covered by linebackers, safeties and smaller nickel backs.

Trent Richardson

Pass-catchers aren’t the only players who will benefit from a scheme change in Cleveland.

Norv Turner has fielded the NFL’s leading rusher on five separate occasions (three different backs) during his coaching career—Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Second-year running back Trent Richardson will also be a big benefactor of and catalyst for a potentially explosive offensive performance by the team in 2013.

As a rookie, Richardson totaled 950 yards on the ground and crossed the goal line 11 times. While that was a solid performance, more is expected of the former No. 3-overall pick.

Richardson will also presumably be healthy to begin the season. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last August which slowed down his development in the Browns’ offense from the get-go. Then, he broke two ribs in Week 6 and that injury lingered throughout the rest of the campaign.

If healthy, there’s no reason to think Richardson will be anything less than brilliant this season.

T.J. Ward

Ray Horton brings a very solid resume to the table as he assumes the defensive coordinator duties for the Cleveland Browns.

His front seven is widely regarded as a dominant bunch who relentlessly rushes the passer to create opportunities for his secondary. But those secondary players have their fun too.

Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes were utilized in blitzes and often played up in the box, with the other safety playing Cover 1.

Allowing Browns’ safety T.J. Ward to roam and blitz while playing closer to the line of scrimmage will maximize his talents. He hasn’t had a bad career until this point, but he will likely shine in his new role in Horton’s defensive scheme.

Jabal Sheard

Since draft day, a lot of attention has shifted from Jabaal Sheard to Cleveland Browns rookie pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo.

Sheard, a 4-3 defensive end in Cleveland’s defense during the past two seasons, was scouted and talked about as a potential great fit as a rush-linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

The third-year pass-rusher will finally be making that conversion. We’ll get front-row seats to see just why he was so highly touted coming out of college.

In two seasons with the Browns, Sheard complied 15.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and eight pass deflections while coming off of the edge of their 4-3 front.

He has already proven to be a reliable presence for the Browns in opposing teams’ backfields. But he could be ready to explode this season.

Ray Horton likes to move around his players to find potential mismatches. Sheard’s versatility, ability to beat offensive linemen and athleticism will allow Horton to put him in position to exploit those favorable match ups.

Link

Great Read Thanks CalDawg ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

j/c

I'm getting a little sick of people talking about how Jordan Cameron is going to breakout. Seriously, what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

I don't get it, either.

I mean, there's nothing that says to me that he can't or won't 'breakout', but I've seen very little to show me that he's likely to.

I think it's infectious wishful thinking. Happens every offseason.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Arps n Cal Dawg: Benjamin I don't see him coming out in any way outside of possibly some success at Kickoff Returns.

1. I was totally disappointed in him on the field of play. A good example is that INT they show everytime Ed Reed would come up in discussion on NFL Network. Benjamin I think was doing a 7 Corner route. Downfield. Weeden under threw him. Ed Reed came sprinting over from his Safety position n makes the catch on the run. During that entire exchange the shot if from a QB view (but close up) you see Benjamin just standing there at a complete stop not making ONE MOVE TOWARDS the ball. Then he just watches Reed make the INT n does nothing to break it up or even tackle him. This was just one play seen over n over. But consistently in his play - HE PLAYED SCARED! I don't see him making it in the NFL n if he takes on some big hits as a KO return guy. Look for him to wussy out there n run out of bounds every play or take the knee.

2. There is a reason why we went out n got Bess for the slot. This currently puts Benjamin as our 4th WR n no room for him to climb up. With a possibility of the kid we signed from Buffalo healing n dropping Benjamin even further.

So in lieu of that I really don't see Benjamin as being a break out player at all. Actually if he doesn't make it as a KO return guy who could be Cut.

Then some say surprised about Ward??? Huh? only health questions but because of his persona being that of an attack type of SS n has been in a very low key none aggressive D - but the few times he did attack he looked GREAT.

I thought Little btw broke out last year in the 2nd half...you can see the light just come on! His routes got so crisp his comfort was there n caught everything. His blocking is awesome!

My breakout guy is Gipson

JMHO

So because you see one bad play over and over you have Benjamin on the way out of the NFL eo you are better than that ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Robiskie REALLY? He isn't in the same class as Gordan ... JMHO

Legend
Legend
He played the 3rd TE role last year. Obviously Watson was the starter, and they used Smith as the 2nd "blocking" TE. I think that Cameron will probably move into the role that Watson played last year. I do think that he can be a threat in the red zone, as well as down the seam. He has the size, speed, and hands to be a high quality TE. He has the leaping ability to be a threat in the end zone. Now he just has to put it all together. He definitely has the coaches to help him do so.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Robiskie REALLY? He isn't in the same class as Gordan ... JMHO

The difference is that we've seen it on the field from Gordon already. This isn't some training camp "oh he's running great routes and catching TD's (against the practice squad guys)".

We've seen Gordon, like Little coming off a year where he missed football entirely produce results. Touchdowns, getting behind DB's (something momass and robo never did). He catches with his hands, he has good speed and he's tall. If he improves his route running he can be a top 10 WR as early as this season.

But yeah, Benjamin, I don't think so. Maybe as a decoy, respect his speed, manipulate a safety with his speed. He will get man handled by almost any 1 or 2 CB in the league. He ran bad routes, looked weak. Maybe if we get him in space, but even then he didn't show the toughness to make difficult catches. I just don't see it with Benjamin.

D
Legend
Legend
D
IMO this is the best group of receivers we've had here since our return and none of them have done squat yet .... this group wins by its sheer PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES and the fact we haven't had a decent group since our return .... we've had some good receivers but never together like this group ...

and the best part ... we have the coaching staff to find out if these guys are good or not ... there gonna get people open and give them an opportunity to make plays .... we can learn a lot this year and then hopefully we'll get a QB in here in the next year or two and watch them all grow (or be replaced ... *L*) together ....

and our WR's and TE's must be drooling and so excited about the changes .... are u kidding me ... going from the last crew to Chud and Norv ..... its gotta feel like they've been released from prison .... given a second chance ....

I'm excited for the first time since before we hired Jeannie ..... I don't think were gonna be good this year but I am very excited to see what we have in all our young talent and what the new coaches do with what they have to work with on both sides of the ball ...

Legend
Legend
Does anyone know, off the top of their heads, what the most dynamic set of WR's Norv has had with his teams? How do our guys stack up against the WR groups that he had most of his success with?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Does anyone know, off the top of their heads, what the most dynamic set of WR's Norv has had with his teams? How do our guys stack up against the WR groups that he had most of his success with?

Irvin + Harper? I would hope we could even have a conversation there.
Vincent Jackson + Gates? Same thing there.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
How good would it be to be talking about Gordon, Little, Bess and Cameron in that vein as a group in a few years? I think I would crap my pants.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow! The article looks like it was written by a Brown's homer.

Most of those guys could break out. They could stagnate. They could regress. Who knows? Most of them have big question marks beside their name.

I do think Ward will have a good year. I think he fits in perfectly w/Horton's defense. Other than covering the flat, he pretty much stinks in coverage. I think Horton will not put him in as many vulnerable coverages and instead use him around the LOS a lot, w/a lot of blitzing thrown in. He could be a force in that type of defense. Provided he stays healthy, of course.

The rest have talent [not sure about Jordan] but I wouldn't count on any of them becoming studs this year. I am NOT saying none of them will, but it is purely speculative right now. I will say that Sheard does have a decent shot of becoming a disruptive player. Again, it's due to Horton's scheme fitting his skill set.

The WRs? Gotta have a qb who can get them the ball. Not sure we have that.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

j/c

Its great that Chud's offense places a certain emphasis on the tight end but I really wish we had kept Watson as a PROVEN tight end and given him and Cameron both reps to have a sure thing as well as a guy we're trying to develop.

It's all based on potential. He's a great athlete. Former hoops player, which we all know that has worked out before. I really think them letting Watson go and not drafting a TE says that they have a lot of confidence in him, and keep in mind, Banner, Lombardi, the coaching staff... They didn't draft him. They didn't have to basically hand him this job, which at this point, it looks like that's what they have done. My feeling says that they really like him.

I would list him as a possible breakout player. I wouldn't guarantee it. I can't guarantee any of these guys. We've all been down the road before.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wouldn't guarantee it. I can't guarantee any of these guys. We've all been down the road before.

I think it's key to note here that the caveats are the coaching and the systems. If Shurmur & Co. were still in charge, would we still be talking about all of these players in terms of a breakout year? My answer would be a resounding, "Hell no!" So while it's true there are no guarantees, they certainly stand a much better chance of succeeding and actually having a breakout year.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

IMO this is the best group of receivers we've had here since our return and none of them have done squat yet .... this group wins by its sheer PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES and the fact we haven't had a decent group since our return .... we've had some good receivers but never together like this group ...

I'd have to disagree with this as Edwards, Winslow, and JoeJ were much, much better.

HOWEVER, I have high hopes for these guys.

And not that it means much, but when I got back from training camp last year, I commented that Gordon was the best WR on the team by far and it wasn't even close. Obviously, that's relative to who he's being compared to, but sometimes you just know what you are watching ... even to an untrained eye.

I don't think it is at all out of the realm of possibility that he becomes a legit #1 this year ... maybe even top 10 in the league based on skill, measurables, and the apparent desire with his off season work to want to be better.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I don't get it, either.

I mean, there's nothing that says to me that he can't or won't 'breakout', but I've seen very little to show me that he's likely to.

I think it's infectious wishful thinking. Happens every offseason.

Speegle Syndrome,

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Irvin + Harper? I would hope we could even have a conversation there.
Vincent Jackson + Gates? Same thing there.

Westbrook and Connell with the 'skins. Both had 1000 yard season together but Connell was hardly a household name.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 5 Browns Poised for a Breakout

Link Copied to Clipboard