Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I'm getting a little sick of people talking about how Jordan Cameron is going to breakout. Seriously, what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

I don't get it, either.

I mean, there's nothing that says to me that he can't or won't 'breakout', but I've seen very little to show me that he's likely to.

I think it's infectious wishful thinking. Happens every offseason.

Speegle Syndrome,

Speegle is gonna go OFF this year, just you watch. I really think that this is his year!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I'm getting a little sick of people talking about how Jordan Cameron is going to breakout. Seriously, what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

I don't get it, either.

I mean, there's nothing that says to me that he can't or won't 'breakout', but I've seen very little to show me that he's likely to.

I think it's infectious wishful thinking. Happens every offseason.

Speegle Syndrome,

Speegle is gonna go OFF this year, just you watch. I really think that this is his year!!

Absolutely...the comeback no one saw. From league washout, to grad assistant coach and then POW back to the NFL.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't guarantee it. I can't guarantee any of these guys. We've all been down the road before.

I think it's key to note here that the caveats are the coaching and the systems. If Shurmur & Co. were still in charge, would we still be talking about all of these players in terms of a breakout year? My answer would be a resounding, "Hell no!" So while it's true there are no guarantees, they certainly stand a much better chance of succeeding and actually having a breakout year.

We went from Pat Shurmur who had 1 year of OC experience being the HC (who had no OC in year 1) to having a first time head coach, but with multiple years of being a coordinator, in different variations of NFL offenses. His OC is widely considered one of the best play callers in recent history.

I think some are afraid to admit that yes, some of our young guys are actually going to be put in a good position!!

Speaking of Pat Shurmur's first year where he had no OC.... can we all agree that was maybe the dumbest move in the history of things related to coaching hires?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I really think them letting Watson go and not drafting a TE says that they have a lot of confidence in him, and keep in mind, Banner, Lombardi, the coaching staff... They didn't draft him. They didn't have to basically hand him this job, which at this point, it looks like that's what they have done. My feeling says that they really like him.

That could be. But I also think we need to keep in mind, this FO said they couldn't address everything in one year.

Watson had been riddled with concussions so I'm not so sure they actually considered him a viable option.

I'm not saying he won't break out. But I think we do have to consider that this FO didn't address every need we had this off season. Which way this one is in actuality I think is very hard to say at this juncture.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We do hae two rookie TE's on the roster, so it's not like we didn't bring in ANY young blood. We just didn't spend a draft pick there.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
See, when I make long winded posts people make comments, and then when I don't say enough the point doesn't come across.

I was simply trying to say that I'm not sure they feel they have the "answer" at the TE position yet. I feel that they are feeling out a lot of our current roster to see how the youth progesses and how our current players will fit into the new schemes in place.

As far as saying they are secure in our roster, I feel the jury is still out at several positions. At least they are giving the bulk of our young talent a chance to see how they will integrate onto the new systems on both O and D.

To try to sum it up, I believe they have a lot of questions left unanswered in their own minds about certain positions and this year will go a very long way at answering those questions for them.

I actually like that approach.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

We do have two rookie TE's on the roster, so it's not like we didn't bring in ANY young blood. We just didn't spend a draft pick there.

Very true, although Cameron looks like the only threat on this team right now. Kellen Davis is most definitely not (Bears fans couldn't wait to bid farewell) and we won't know with the rookies until the season.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

WEEDEN !! Where's the love for Weeden under the new system! How's Gordon going to be a monster if the guy throwing him the rock is a dud??

I don't disagree with the 5 listed. However, as well as they do or do not play - personally I have the season hanging on:

1. Weeden flourishing.
2. RG playing well above last year.
3. FS stepping up.
4. McFadden doesn't need to be a stud (which I think he will be) but he needs to be more consistent than what we had last year!
5. Need pressure on the QB from the front 7.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
1) System is set up so that Weeden will flourish.
2) The line played well last year, especially once they settled in. Shurmur's "scheme" didn't help them much, and neither did Weeden's indecision, but they played well. Schwartz particularly well considering he was a rookie.
3) I can't see the season hanging on FS play.
4) Sheldon Brown probably had his best year as a Brown. I don't see McFadden having a better year right out of the gate.
5) QB pressure is practically guaranteed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If our WR's break out, that means that Weeden will have established himself as at least serviceable in this offense, and I think that if he can get himself to being "NFL Average" in this offense, then we're actually going to be QUITE happy with how things look.

If he doesn't, then we'll probably switch to Campbell and be looking at a Top 5 pick next April.
Seeing the defenses shouldn't really confuse him much anymore, and he's going to spend a lot of time in his comfort zone working out of the gun, where he will also have a better view of the defenses.

In this offense, if Weeden has the exact same number of completions (but perhaps while getting his completion percentage up around 60-65%) as he did last year, but can cut down on the number of INTs by 3-5... we should look like an efficient Big Play machine just like the '06-'09 Chargers.

Browns is the Browns

Rookie
Rookie
my breakout player is mariciec(spelling?) I hope we 'break him out' from the Browns and kick him to the curb. IF there is a curb that will accept him

Seriously I look for hayden to breakout.
if we have the pass rush it appears we should have.
kruger, mingo, sheard,rubeun, taylor, tj in the box etc. etc..

if we can cause a lot of hurried passes, i can see hayden leading the league on ints...

Last edited by 1956Dawg; 05/16/13 04:54 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Weeden will have established himself as at least serviceable ...

I eagerly look forward to a much improved year from him. However, keep in mind that it is only his 2nd year in the NFL, and it's his 3rd system in 3 years. I trust our FO will (continue) to show patience with him and give the coaching staff a realistic chance to develop him...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am of the opinion that Josh Gordon is going to have a 2nd year slump (notice how his numbers declined near the end of last year) and still has a long way to go as a polished, reliable WR. I hope I'm wrong.

His numbers kind of mirrored Weeden's... so one has to wonder which is the cause and which is the effect.

Also keep in mind that he hadn't played in almost 2 years... so it's not unlikely that he just ran out of gas. Heck kids coming off a 12 game college season have trouble adjusting to a 16 game schedule in the NFL, it seems reasonable that a kid who hadn't played at all is going to have trouble at the end.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

Well first off in the spirit of the words Breakout sort of means he hasn't done it yet sort of educated guess of what is to come.

Granted his Opportunities have not been many. But. really you lose me with the Evan Moore statement.

1. He has so much more Speed than Evan Moore..I mean not even close.

2. Evan Moore could not go over the middle...all of a sudden he had alligator arms. Cameron has shown the toughness to go over the middle.

So far Cameron has shown excellent hands good routes...its not his fault most were of the 3-5 yard nature.

I think the talk of BREAKOUT season really is the expectations of this offense really opening up spaces the way it did in 07 - Combined with the fact that Cameron is penciled in as the STARTER means he will get the opportunity.

You don't have to agree one bit - But I'm puzzled why you would not agree to such a degree that those suggesting it so including this BOZO (hey I got to be fair even if I agree he still has to be a Bozo ) just is something you cannot understand why.

Pretty much in the nutshell. Chud a fan of the TE has come here n annointed Cameron as our TE n is impressed with him. Its pretty easy to UNDERSTAND why some are having high expectations from him even if you do not Agree.

Pastor...shame on me no no no...not just one play....just about every play he was involved with positive or negative he looked scared. I mentioned that play cause we all saw it n probably will see it several times more so that if you didn't notice it do so...it personified what I saw from him all year long not on one play. I don't judge anyone on one play.

We went out of our way to pick up Bess for our slot WR pretty much Benjamin's spot. As Little n Gordon have their positions locked up. With his speed and gained experience from last year...one would think we had no need for investment in a slot WR...but it was not to be...for good reason. Nothing is a coincidence

No Shame here Pastor. Just good honest truth. Hey rarely do I talk negative of any of our guys. I just don't think the words Wussy n Football go together.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
For those of you who haven't heard yet. According to Ray Hortons new presser on the Browns site. Jonathon Bademosi has been moved to FS as some had hinted at. Buster Skrine has also been playing some safety. I think that's his best position in this system anyways. It doesn't sound like they're done switching positions around either.

Last edited by predator16; 05/16/13 05:58 PM.
Legend
Legend
Didn't exactly say he was moving.. just said they were trying him there. Personally, I think it (moving him to safety) would be worth a shot. I'd be happy with him staying at corner, as well, but it's not permanent.

Chud said they're trying a lot of people at spots they're not used to to see how they do.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/16/13 05:58 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Jaball huh? I hope he's right!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
The first guy I want to shout out is Greg Little. There is no doubt that Gordon had an outstanding rookie season but Little is deserving of much luv. This guy transformed himself during the course of the season in terms of consistency, reliability, willingness to do the "little" things, etc. That was very impressive, to see him grow up every Sunday. His physical tools give him the ability to compete for the tough catches. It will be interesting to see him on the outside, opposite of Gordon. I'm very excited about Greg Little.

I'm also very excited about Tashaun Gipson. With that said I think we also have no idea what Bademosi can become while playing his natural position of safety. I never understood why Shurmur, et. al. had him listed as a corner.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/16/13 06:11 PM.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
j/c

I think Sheard is poised to have the worst statistical season of his career since he won't be playing third downs with Mingo and Kruger being much, much better pure pass rushers.

This is not to say that he'll be bad in Horton's defense. I think he'll be solid and he's a huge asset to this group this linebacking core because he's only the only run-stopper in the group who plays OLB. But to suggest that there's a chance of him having a true "breakout" season is misguided IMO.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Ah see I was watching Chuds next. Just saw what you said. I think it's smart. In a defense like this especially where we have so many corners with similar skill levels why not try them at safety.

I really do like Skrine back there. He's such a good tackler for a DB of his stature. Safety also emphasizes straight speed as opposed to lateral agility as CB. He could be a serious playmaker at FS with his skillset if he has a natural feel for center field.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

j/c

I think Sheard is poised to have the worst statistical season of his career since he won't be playing third downs with Mingo and Kruger being much, much better pure pass rushers.

This is not to say that he'll be bad in Horton's defense. I think he'll be solid and he's a huge asset to this group this linebacking core because he's only the only run-stopper in the group who plays OLB. But to suggest that there's a chance of him having a true "breakout" season is misguided IMO.

I disagree I think Sheard has a good chance of playing all 3 downs. If your talking 3rd and short he is obviously our best OLB against the run and 3rd and long why take one of your 3 or 4 best rushers out? Take Rubin or DQ before you take Sheard off the field IMO. Let Sheard and Kruger drop down to DE with Phil and/or Bryant in at DT and roam Mingo outside.

I understand your point but it seems you didn't consider that it would be the logical thing to adjust the entire personnel for passing downs rather than subbing on OLB for another. I mean can you imagine Taylor and Bryant inside, Kruger and Sheard outside and Mingo standing up running around confusing the OL? Not to mention one of the fastest DBs in the NFL in Skrine in the nickle and TJ overtop. We will blitz nickle and SS alot. Man it gives me goose bumps. QBs will hate 3rd n long.

Last edited by predator16; 05/16/13 06:20 PM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Quote:

what has this guy shown? Right now, all this guy looks like is a less impressive version of Evan Moore.

Well first off in the spirit of the words Breakout sort of means he hasn't done it yet sort of educated guess of what is to come.

Granted his Opportunities have not been many. But. really you lose me with the Evan Moore statement.

1. He has so much more Speed than Evan Moore..I mean not even close.

2. Evan Moore could not go over the middle...all of a sudden he had alligator arms. Cameron has shown the toughness to go over the middle.

So far Cameron has shown excellent hands good routes...its not his fault most were of the 3-5 yard nature.

I think the talk of BREAKOUT season really is the expectations of this offense really opening up spaces the way it did in 07 - Combined with the fact that Cameron is penciled in as the STARTER means he will get the opportunity.

You don't have to agree one bit - But I'm puzzled why you would not agree to such a degree that those suggesting it so including this BOZO (hey I got to be fair even if I agree he still has to be a Bozo ) just is something you cannot understand why.

Pretty much in the nutshell. Chud a fan of the TE has come here n annointed Cameron as our TE n is impressed with him. Its pretty easy to UNDERSTAND why some are having high expectations from him even if you do not Agree.

Fair points Eo. I actually looked up the combine results and I didnt realize Cameron was as fast as he was. So I certainly can;t argue measureables.

I guess when I compare what I saw from Moore when he was here vs Cameron, was that Moore made plays whereas Cameron just made catches. Most of what we've seen from Cameron are gimme catches. YET everyone seems to figure that since we in theory will have a TE friendly system, that this means that the gem that is Jordan Cameron will finally shine the way he should.

In my eyes, he hasn't shown even a flash that he might be something special. The two major criticisms I have of this offseason was not locking up a proven TE and not grabbing a safety in FA. I think both will hurt us.

But hey.... I will be REALLY happy if I'm wrong on Cameron.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
That's true. Hopefully Horton can do everything in his power to put Cleveland's best pass rushers on the field during 3rd down, regardless of position. I think there's a definite possibility of Sheard (I want Kruger on the outside no matter what) playing in a three-point-stance with Kruger or Mingo at his side standing up, as I know Horton did that with Campbell and Dockett. Doing that with Sheard would make even more sense since he's a former 4-3 DE and is used to being in that three-point-stance.

So you're right. I take back what I wrote.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
You got some good opinions on things. Love real in depth well thought out football talk like this.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Moore did well outside the hashes n provided a good target 15 or longer on the outside. I liked him too but I think he didn't do well in the WCO I think he was active just 5-6 games??? only had about 12 catches. I remember feeling bad for Colt cause he was like a favorite target for him especially if he was scrambling.

I saw Cameron produce at all what was asked...we just didn't really use our 2nd TE much at all. Its hard for us Browns fans to actually expect a Prospect to work out cause we have been disappointed in the past. I understand. I've seen good things of Cameron from the get go. outside of my HOMER realm - it comes at no big surprise to me that Chud has not pushed Lombardi to add a Starting TE at FA or draft. It has to mean something to you in the form of some Sherlock Holmes on what we just can guess at.

Jordon I think he broke out last year...maybe to the main stream media its still news?
Little too.

Gipson, Cameron, guys who are going to get an opportunity in my eyes are the breakout candidates. I think both did well on anything asked of them - they just were not asked too much.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Legend
Legend
T
As long as the subject of players changing positions is up, I've had it in my head this off-season; what would happen if they moved Dqwell Jackson to safety?

Sure, the first reaction is Oh my gosh, that's crazy.

I know he can cover, but there's the speed issue, and we know he can tackle in space, and he can blitz, he's one of the smartest and most experienced players in the defense, and there's no shortage of players to fill the middle linebacker spot if he vacated it.
To me the only question is, is he fast enough to not get beat overtop, is he fast enough to help out corners on deep routes, and is he fast enough to stay with wideouts 1 on 1.
I don't know how fast Dqwell Jackson is. I doubt he will be moving to either safety position. But I still want to ask, What if?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Have you heard how "conditioned" he is coming into camp? According to reports, he's ripped and ready. Came into mini camp turning heads and looking good, smooth, with great hands. Benjamin too is causing a stir with crisper routes and a bit of a swagger. The addition of Bess, by all accounts, is that he has already had a very positive influence on the WR corps, and on Weeden as well. I'm very excited about our receivers... and really hoping Weeden can get them the ball accurately and on time. If he can... watch out.

What are you basing the slump on? have you heard he's not working out or something like that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
jc

My 5 breakout players:

1. Weeden- Weeden has all the tools to be a solid QB, in Norv's offense he is going to be playing the role he feels good in. He was a rookie last year playing with many other rookie and young players and still had a good chance of winning most games at the end of the 4th quarter.

2. TRich- if healthy he is going to be Norv's next top RB success.

3. Wynn- I was so impressed with him last year as a rookie, he made plays, pressured the QB and did a solid job stuffing the run. He will be in the rotation at DE and will show that there will be no drop off in play when he is on the field.

4. Hughes- Big man in the middle, he was solid last year as a rookie and will hold his own on the line.

5. Schwartz- already proved so many wrong last year, he started out slow, but quickly learned from his early mistakes and became a solid RT all year long. Swartz and Lavaman with one year playing side by side behind them is going to form a solid right side that this team has not seen since they have been back.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

As long as the subject of players changing positions is up, I've had it in my head this off-season; what would happen if they moved Dqwell Jackson to safety?

Sure, the first reaction is Oh my gosh, that's crazy.

I know he can cover, but there's the speed issue, and we know he can tackle in space, and he can blitz, he's one of the smartest and most experienced players in the defense, and there's no shortage of players to fill the middle linebacker spot if he vacated it.
To me the only question is, is he fast enough to not get beat overtop, is he fast enough to help out corners on deep routes, and is he fast enough to stay with wideouts 1 on 1.
I don't know how fast Dqwell Jackson is. I doubt he will be moving to either safety position. But I still want to ask, What if?

Bro your hoggin' it all! Puff, puff, pass!

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Have you heard how "conditioned" he is coming into camp? According to reports, he's ripped and ready. Came into mini camp turning heads and looking good, smooth, with great hands. Benjamin too is causing a stir with crisper routes and a bit of a swagger. The addition of Bess, by all accounts, is that he has already had a very positive influence on the WR corps, and on Weeden as well. I'm very excited about our receivers... and really hoping Weeden can get them the ball accurately and on time. If he can... watch out.

What are you basing the slump on? have you heard he's not working out or something like that?

Huh?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Sheard, I just don't agree with. He just hasn't shown me much. He seems like the odd guy out. I hope I'm wrong and he breaks out.

in both practice and games, i thought he looked a hair away from being pretty good. He just needed somebody else to make teams unable to double team him or take their yes off him, so to speak. We'll see.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Not a bad list... Interesting time for T.J. (assuming he stays healthy) & Jabal with the new "aggressive" D and an opportunity for them to cut loose. I personally would also add another five in Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Hardesty, Mitchell Schwartz & Phil Taylor to the list. I am "hopeful" for Weeden. Who are your "breakout" players?

Cleveland Browns: 5 Players Poised for a Breakout Campaign in 2013
By
Mike Hoag

Every new offseason brings optimism to the hearts and minds of the Cleveland Browns’ loyal fanbase.

That’s especially true given the long-suffering group’s inability to give up on their beloved Browns. Changing head coaches every couple of seasons doesn’t hurt either.

With constant change there are always new feelings and fresh optimism.

“This time they got it right,” you might think to yourself as training camp approaches and the Browns prepare for yet another coaching and scheme change in 2013.

In order to have gotten it right, several key players are going to need to have huge seasons for the team this year.

There’s always next year for the Browns but these individuals are going to standout now and make us all believe that our time is finally coming.

Josh Gordon

The Cleveland Browns’ past regime took a chance by spending a second-round pick on former Baylor University wide receiver Josh Gordon.

As a rookie, the imposing 6’3”, 225-pound pass-catcher rewarded the team by snagging 50 passes for 805 yards with five touchdowns.

Gordon utilizes his size, speed and route-running ability to stretch the field. Brandon Weeden’s big arm found him time and time again downfield en route to a 16.1 yard-per-catch average for the rookie receiver.

His numbers as a rookie were produced within Pat Shurmur’s dink-and-dunk West Coast offense. Sure, Shurmur took some shots downfield, but the success of his offense was predicated on receivers picking up yards after the catch and short but efficient passing attempts.

It’s hard to imagine a player with Gordon’s potential not only flourishing, but dominating, within a more pass-friendly offense engineered by Norv Turner.

Jordan Cameron

New Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski knows the importance of having a play making tight end catching passes in his offense.

The former college tight end got his start in the NFL as a tight ends coach for the Cleveland Browns in 2004. He isn’t alone in his appreciation for the position either.

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner masterfully employed athletic tight end Antonio Gates as a primary component of the San Diego Chargers offense. Oh yeah, Chudzinski was with Turner in San Diego and worked hand in hand with Gates during the 2005-06 and 2009-10 seasons.

That’s where Jordan Cameron comes into play. Like Gates, Cameron is a converted basketball player with refined athletic ability. He’s especially quick and physically gifted for a man of his size (6’5”, 245 lbs).

If utilized properly he will create match up nightmares when covered by linebackers, safeties and smaller nickel backs.

Trent Richardson

Pass-catchers aren’t the only players who will benefit from a scheme change in Cleveland.

Norv Turner has fielded the NFL’s leading rusher on five separate occasions (three different backs) during his coaching career—Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Second-year running back Trent Richardson will also be a big benefactor of and catalyst for a potentially explosive offensive performance by the team in 2013.

As a rookie, Richardson totaled 950 yards on the ground and crossed the goal line 11 times. While that was a solid performance, more is expected of the former No. 3-overall pick.

Richardson will also presumably be healthy to begin the season. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last August which slowed down his development in the Browns’ offense from the get-go. Then, he broke two ribs in Week 6 and that injury lingered throughout the rest of the campaign.

If healthy, there’s no reason to think Richardson will be anything less than brilliant this season.

T.J. Ward

Ray Horton brings a very solid resume to the table as he assumes the defensive coordinator duties for the Cleveland Browns.

His front seven is widely regarded as a dominant bunch who relentlessly rushes the passer to create opportunities for his secondary. But those secondary players have their fun too.

Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes were utilized in blitzes and often played up in the box, with the other safety playing Cover 1.

Allowing Browns’ safety T.J. Ward to roam and blitz while playing closer to the line of scrimmage will maximize his talents. He hasn’t had a bad career until this point, but he will likely shine in his new role in Horton’s defensive scheme.

Jabal Sheard

Since draft day, a lot of attention has shifted from Jabaal Sheard to Cleveland Browns rookie pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo.

Sheard, a 4-3 defensive end in Cleveland’s defense during the past two seasons, was scouted and talked about as a potential great fit as a rush-linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

The third-year pass-rusher will finally be making that conversion. We’ll get front-row seats to see just why he was so highly touted coming out of college.

In two seasons with the Browns, Sheard complied 15.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and eight pass deflections while coming off of the edge of their 4-3 front.

He has already proven to be a reliable presence for the Browns in opposing teams’ backfields. But he could be ready to explode this season.

Ray Horton likes to move around his players to find potential mismatches. Sheard’s versatility, ability to beat offensive linemen and athleticism will allow Horton to put him in position to exploit those favorable match ups.

Link

Gotta go with the following 5...............

It's all a guess, but i'll go with players and coaches past performances, and most notably Chud's O's leap in total yds in 2007 and 2011 from the previous years. Throw in Norv's 5 times producing the NFL's leading rusher in Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams, and LT. Norv's O in Dallas jumped from dead last to 9th overall, then 4th overall, then another 4th overall.

1 Trent Richardson.
No doubt he'll come to play with a chip on his shoulder this year. Although many think he had a decent 1st season, he thinks he was a failure, in every sense of the word. I know that 2007 was a diff time and a diff team but in this O, Jamal L had 1300+ yds rushing, just missing out on the Pro Bowl. The passing attack will no doubt open up the running game for TR.

2. Jordan Cameron.
Just one look at Norv's work with Jay Novacek, Jason Witten (1000+yds his rookie year), and Gates and imo it's a given that TE in their system has to/will be a priority. Throw in Chud's work with Winslow (Pro Bowl in 07) Gates (4 years total) and Olsen ( Olsen had 843 yds for Caro last year) and clearly.these guys know how to max out a TE.

3. Jabal Sheard
Horton's "Attack D" seems to be "just what the doc ordered" for Sheard. Coming on a blitz from anywhere he/they want(s) just seems way too perfect a scenario.

4. Joe Haden
Imo he can't get much better in coverage/passes defensed, or can he. With the QB having less time, sure he can. With the added pressure on QB's, I do expect Haden's int's to grow "astronomically" in 2013.
Astronomically???

5. Brandon Weeden/Josh Gordon/Greg Little...........You Pick.
Again, Chud and Norv at their best. In Chuds case I look at the Browns O's progress from 2006 to 07 when Chud took over jumping from the 31st best O in 06 to the 8th best O in 07 and Caro's O jumping from the 32nd best O in 2010 to the 7th best O in 2011. Again, is Weeds a Cam Newton? No. But Imo he is at least a Derek A but a bit smarter and no doubt a better touch/accuracy with the 5-10yd passes
The 31st and 32nd best O's???

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Weeden is not even winning in OTA's against Jason reports are saying, what makes you think he'll even have a chance to play let alone have a "breakout season"?

Legend
Legend
I love how everyone makes final roster decisions based on the first open practice of the year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
HC Speegle and OC C. Mitchell like things run a certain way YTown. Just roll with it

Legend
Legend
Quote:

HC Speegle and OC C. Mitchell like things run a certain way YTown. Just roll with it

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I love how everyone makes final roster decisions based on the first open practice of the year.

Perhaps they are factoring in what happened last year and not blindly relying on how much Weeden will automatically improve because of the coaching change. Perhaps they would actually like to see some improvement before they anoint him as a "Breakout Player."

Speaking of last year, I am glad that this regime does not simply GIVE players their jobs like how Weeden got his last year.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I saw plenty of evidence last year to support Weeden's inability to be a starter so really, hearing Campbell is beating him out in all the OTA's is no shocker to me...

Just saying.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'd like to make a correction about Cameron - I stated how he didn't get many reps as the 2nd TE...actually he didn't get many reps as the 3rd TE cause Smith was the 2nd TE. My bad.

Weeden I believe he will have a good season in this Offense. What I do know is he will be comfortable in this offense - I believe he is the more consistent accurate QB in our stable but like any QB they got to be comfortable within a system as well as believe in it. I think he was neither last year. I don't BLINDLY have good expectations with Weeden. I have logical reasons to expect that. Does he have to prove it? Of course he still has to Prove it. But just cause I have those positive expectations I find it a little insulting to say it is done so Blindly.

We will find out soon enough. If our season is in the hands of Campbell I think our FO sort of failed us this season cause they said they would not BAND AID positions n truly no way Campbell was brought here to be THE GUY. If he starts its truly Band Aid material.

This is why if you wish to read between the lines...It spells they are a lot more confident about Weeden than one would think. Simply for the fact they did not draft lets say a Glennon who supposedly is pushing Freeman if you wish to believe Bozos.

If Weeden was that much of a question mark we would have done more than sign Hoyer n Campbell.

JMHO - I do think Banner/Lombardi are competent they would not have put us in such a bad situation with the most important position on the team.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Done more, like what exactly Eo?

It no secret the draft class of QB's was weak... looked how far Geno slipped and he was suppose to be one of the top QB's in the draft.

Free agency didn't really yield any quality QB's and what was available were snagged up by other teams.

I wouldn't go as far to say the staff "failed" us if Weeden turns out to choke. I mean you can't make chicken salad outta chicken crap and there just weren't many moves to take to upgrade that position IMO. You call it "Band aide" but I call it putting the best players we have on the field to give us the BEST chance to win.

As you said, we'll see about Weeden. He does have to PROVE it, and he has a decent chunk to prove and improve upon... I am rooting for him, but I don't have the faith is all. However, the staff was inherited Weeden and outta a rotten salad, pikced up Hoyer and Campbell to stir in the mix. You can't fault them, say they failed or get upset, they clearly recognize the issues at the QB position and clearly are "trying" to find something that may turn out to work. I'm not saying Hoyer/Jason is champsonship, but...........

JMO

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 5 Browns Poised for a Breakout

Link Copied to Clipboard