Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

Watched this as it happened, no idea the damage that was exactly being done at the time, but it was an awesome sight, but a horrible affect.

News is reporting at least 24 were children in a school. Best to all affected.

Massive tornado rips through Moore, Oklahoma; 51 killed, more feared dead

A devastating, mile-wide tornado touched down near Oklahoma City on Monday, killing at least 51 people and decimating homes, businesses and a pair of elementary schools in the suburb of Moore.

According to the state's medical examiner, the death toll was expected to rise.

The schools—Plaza Towers Elementary and Briarwood Elementary—were leveled by the tornado. It was unclear how many children were in them at the time the twister hit, but according to KFOR-TV, at least seven children died at Plaza Towers, and as many as two dozen more were feared to be trapped inside the rubble. An Associated Press photographer saw rescue workers pull several children out alive. A makeshift triage center was set up in the school's parking lot.

"This is war-zone terrible," Jon Welsh, a helicopter pilot for KFOR who lives in Moore, said while surveying the damage from the air. "This school is completely gone."

Emergency officials urged people to remain off the roads so rescue workers and first responders could reach people potentially trapped in rubble, as the National Guard was called in to help in the search for victims.

Three people were killed at a 7-Eleven in the path of the storm, CBS' KWTV reported, including a man, woman and baby who took cover in a freezer but didn't survive. KFOR reported a fourth person was killed there.

The funnel cloud could be seen for miles, creating a debris field several miles wide. According to the National Weather Service in Norman, Okla., the tornado was on the ground for approximately 40 minutes, and a tornado warning was in effect for 16 minutes before the twister developed.

Weather officials estimated the strength of the tornado to be an F4 or F5 on the Fujita Scale, the highest rating a tornado can achieve. The National Weather Service said the tornado's preliminary classification was an F4, with winds up to 200 mph.

On May 3, 1999, a tornado outbreak near Oklahoma City produced 14 tornadoes—including an F5 in Moore—killing 36 people and injuring 295 others. A host on KFOR called Monday's storm "the worst tornado damage-wise in the history of the world."

The devastated area covered 30 square miles. Communication was snarled as landlines and cellphone towers were knocked down. A water treatment plant in Oklahoma City was also damaged.

President Barack Obama directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency to prepare to get "all available assistance" to the disaster-hit area, the White House said.

The 106-acre Orr Family Farm was completely destroyed, killing between 75 and 100 horses, KFOR reported.

Families of potential victims were directed by the Red Cross to a website—safeandwell.org—for information about survivors.

Another, smaller tornado was spotted on the ground west of Meeker, Okla., north of Shawnee, on Monday.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives canceled its afternoon sessions so lawmakers and staffers could take shelter, the AP said.

The tornadoes came a day after powerful storms ripped through the center of the country, spawning at least a dozen tornadoes, killing two people and causing extensive damage from Georgia to Minnesota.

linker

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Legend
Legend
To me, tornadoes are endlessly fascinating, but man, so terrible for those affected. My thoughts and prayers are with all those people.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ditto. I can't imagine what it was like for those present when this happened.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
The images that have been posted of the devastation is just... unreal.

Legend
Legend
What a terrible disaster. I pray for those who are hurt and waiting for help, and for those who lost their lives, or lost someone dear to them.

Nature's fury is terrible to behold.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Every time I think of 'how cool' it would be to see a tornado live something like this comes along and reminds me that it's best that I don't.

Saw the footage of the devastation on the news. Unbelievable.

That thing was a mile wide.

Definitely praying for theses people tonight.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
At least one uplifting moment from all the devastation.

Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
More good news, considering what happened, they lowered the death toll down to 24 confirmed dead.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
What a terrible storm. The company I work for has their HC in Tulsa. Thankfully they are all safe from this one.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I'm not trying to make a political statement on gun control here, but I find it sad and ironic that a single man with an AR15 can kill more children in a elementary school then a killer EF5 tornado packing 200+ MPH winds that blew away and leveled the whole school to the ground.

– Jackie Robinson
F
Legend
Legend
F
Much like hurricanes seldom have fatalities directly from the hurricane anymore as compared to a tornado, it is all about advanced warning. Hurricanes we have days warning, tornados we have minutes warning, maniacs you have no warning.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Years of warnings about maniacs go ignored. It doesn't just happen without warning. Also we are probably going to see safe rooms for both issues in all schools soon.

– Jackie Robinson
F
Legend
Legend
F
I am actually surprised they haven't created "safe" areas designed to hold the children in such a scenario, in an area prone to tornados.

Most schools around here ARE storm shelters when hurricanes come.

Nothing is fool proof, but one would think there would be some design to at least increase the safety of the students. of course cost is always a factor in these decisions.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not trying to make a political statement on gun control here, but I find it sad and ironic that a single man with an AR15 can kill more children in a elementary school then a killer EF5 tornado packing 200+ MPH winds that blew away and leveled the whole school to the ground.

Maybe we need to pass some anti tornado legislation. It would be just as effective.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/C ...

I heard that the Governor of Oklahoma is pushing legislation that would require each new home built in Oklahoma to have a safe area.

I cannot believe that the school that was hit was fairly new, and didn't have any safe areas. That's ridiculous. I bet there will be major lawsuits out of that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

J/C ...

I heard that the Governor of Oklahoma is pushing legislation that would require each new home built in Oklahoma to have a safe area.

I cannot believe that the school that was hit was fairly new, and didn't have any safe areas. That's ridiculous. I bet there will be major lawsuits out of that.

Might be lawsuits - but in actuality, they'd be suing themselves, not?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C ...

The school isn't that new, Plaza Towers where the children died was built in 66.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am actually surprised they haven't created "safe" areas designed to hold the children in such a scenario, in an area prone to tornados.

Most schools around here ARE storm shelters when hurricanes come.

Nothing is fool proof, but one would think there would be some design to at least increase the safety of the students. of course cost is always a factor in these decisions.

Most of the schools in Moore have a storm shelter, unfortunately these two schools did not, but I did read that they got hit so fast that it likely would not have helped much.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If anyone saw the amateur videos of the tornado they are quite incredible. I'm always awed when I see something so natural and so deadly. Just the sheer randomness and power.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe we need to pass some anti tornado legislation. It would be just as effective.

Barbara Boxer is already working on it. I'm not even joking here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I found articles where she is using it for leverage and blaming global warming, but nothing other then that. Got a link?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I found articles where she is using it for leverage and blaming global warming, but nothing other then that. Got a link?

She's trying to push a Carbon Tax through and is claiming this tornado was caused by Global Warming and that we need to stop it by passing a carbon tax.

link

During a Senate floor speech on Tuesday, California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer seek opportunity in blaming the tornado in Oklahoma is a result of global warming as she wanted her plan of imposing tax on emissions of carbon dioxide to be executed.

Boxer said, "This is climate change. We were warned about extreme weather: Not just hot weather, but extreme weather. When I had my hearings, when I had the gavel years ago - it's been a while - the scientists all agreed that what we'd start to see was extreme weather".

She further added that the carbon is costing the planet and what can be done at least is to put a little charge on it so that people can tend to keep the energy cleaner.

The tornado in Oklahoma has killed minimum of 51 people as it winds up to 200 miles per hour. The report from US informed that more than 120 people are getting treatment at hospitals including 50 children.

Another group in house has also introduced a bill seeking high tax in carbon emissions. But a study done by Institute for Energy Research (IER) argued the introduction of imposing tax and said that a revenue-neutral carbon tax would possibly result in `cure worse than the disease'.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
so shes not really trying to pass anti tornado legislation...

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Massive tornado rips through Moore, Oklahoma; 51 killed, more feared dead

Link Copied to Clipboard