Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Draftnik favorite. I haven't watched him, but he was a big name floating around the web leading up to the draft.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...report-1.399594

The Browns have claimed undrafted rookie running back Miguel Maysonet off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles, Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com reported.

The Eagles signed Maysonet, a former Stony Brook University standout, after last month’s draft and then cut him Monday.

As a senior last season, the 5-foot-9, 209-pound Maysonet rushed for 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns. As a junior, he ran for 1,633 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Maysonet would join a crowded stable of running backs in Cleveland. The Browns have Trent Richardson, Montario Hardesty, Chris Ogbonnaya, Brandon Jackson, Dion Lewis and Jamaine Cook on their roster.

Legend
Legend
That's a rather curious move, but it never hurts to take a look.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am thinking one of these guys are here to replace Cribbs returning

Joe Thomas #73
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

That's a rather curious move, but it never hurts to take a look.

I don't know. Maybe he was a guy Lombardi favored, but with those numbers it's easy to see why.

I say good move. Why not?? It wouldn't upset me a great deal, or any deal at all for that metter, if the entire RB crew behind Richardson was different this season.

Another thought on this. I don't think there is any real question who is going to be playing most of the time in games.

Creating a logjam behind Richardson gives the team the ability to limit him some in camp to find out who is going behind him. There is no need in Richardson running 5-6 games worth of reps in camp.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

looking for RBs with good hands?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

j/c

looking for RBs with good hands?

Maybe......Oggy has good enough hands.....but again, creating competition isn't a bad idea.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I knew this was going to happen. Norv LOVES his RB's ... of all shapes and sizes. It would not shock me if we kept 4 RBs ... and it also wouldn't surprise me if we kept Trent and 3 others we have never fielded on this roster before.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the bigger question is.....Why would the birds sign him and then turn around and send him on his way? Maybe they didn't like what they saw in camp?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I think the bigger question is.....Why would the birds sign him and then turn around and send him on his way? Maybe they didn't like what they saw in camp?

bleed... I read something about Maysonet not being eligible for OTA work outs due to NCAA graduation rules.

Kind of looks like the Eagles may have messed up signing him, not realizing that the NCAA graduation rules apply.

Does that mean NCAA graduation rules also apply here in Cleveland...it would seem so !

Last edited by mac; 05/21/13 07:34 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So it looks like the Eagles would rather cut him then wait until camp?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
So they don't want Dion Lewis and we trade for him. Then they don't want Maysonet and we pick him up. Okay.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
We now have the following players at running back:

Trent Richardson
Montario Hardesty
Dion Lewis
Brandon Jackson
Chris Ogbonnaya
Miguel Maysonet

Something tells me they won't all make the team.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I loved this kid as a prospect. I think he has starter-potential in the NFL (not here, of course).

Now I'm wondering if Cleveland's going to carry four RBs.

Legend
Legend
As someone earlier said, I would bet that a lot of these guys will be used to take some carries away from Trent in the preseason. RBs don't need many reps.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sounds like this is our current personel strategy:

Throw alot of Shiat at the wall and hope something sticks!

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Quote:

As someone earlier said, I would bet that a lot of these guys will be used to take some carries away from Trent in the preseason. RBs don't need many reps.

TRich shouldn't play in the preseason at all. I know LT didn't play in the preseason for most of his tenure in San Diego, and he was all the better for it.

Legend
Legend
Yeah if you notice the top backs get like 2-4 carries per game ... MAYBE 6-8 in the 3rd preseason game. I would just make sure he is conditioned and primed without exerting himself against too much contact.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Yeah.

It's important that he's fresh for the regular season because both Chud and Norv like running the ball. Someone with his talent level should be getting 300+ carries.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So we should have drafted Hopkins and that receiver from Rutgers?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Trent Richardson
Montario Hardesty
Dion Lewis
Brandon Jackson
Chris Ogbonnaya
Miguel Maysonet

We can add that Rouse kid to the list as well I believe......Makes me wonder which rb that this staff isn't quite sold on......Between TR, Hardesty, and Ogbogy I thought we were pretty set, and add in BJack as insurance.....

This FO is bringing in a lot of bodies for something....Maybe they are concerned about Montario's hands out of the backfield...guy CANNOT catch the ball, and as a #2/change-of-pace guy, you need to catch the ball....

Maybe Hardesty is on his way out of here.....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
C
Legend
Legend
C
Rouse was cut.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Trent Richardson
Montario Hardesty
Dion Lewis
Brandon Jackson
Chris Ogbonnaya
Miguel Maysonet

Of course not. Pick Richardson and three others. Lewis is the smallest and quickest I believe and think that will play to his favor. I have a feeling Haerdesty is gone....maybe traded, so IMO pick two of the other three.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Just a hunch:

Richardson
Ogby
Lewis
Jackson

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I think we are going to have a nice RB rotation going.

Legend
Legend
I am OK with fewer preseason games and esp. with TRich running fewer preseason reps. I hope Norv uses a variety of RB combos, esp. with less Marecic/TRich. But we certainly are getting up to our knees in runners.
If you are Brown, good luck!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
j/c

Maysonet Highlights

He has power and quickness. We'll see.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Seems like a good change of pace back. You never know with RBs. That's really the 1 position that can be filled by people from any school/level ... aside from K/P.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

IMO...after watching some video of Miguel Maysonet...he was a workhorse at Stony Brook and put up some outstanding numbers, his style of running might not work well at the Pro level.

He looks to be a power runner with good speed, but at 5-9, 210, I'm not sure he has the physical tools to be productive at the Pro level.

He's not a great cut back runner, preferring to put his head down to get all the yardage he can milk out of a run...which could set him up for some physical abuse.

As far as his pass catching ability, he has small hands and was thrown to only 3 times his senior year, making it diffucult to know what his pass catching ability is.

Maysonet's ability to pass block is also a big question mark and could be an issue at the Pro level...can he handle a blitzing LB?

Below is one of the reviews for Maysonet...

RB23
Miguel Maysonet
RB Stony Brook

20 REPS
Top Performer
7.21 SEC
Top Performer
4.43 SEC
Top Performer

5'9" Height
29 3/8" Arm Length
209LBS. Weight
8 1/2" Hands

More Combine Video

Overview

Some prospects transferred at one point in their collegiate career. Even more NFL players are cut at least once in their professional careers. But few prospects are playing for a program that ends up being cut by the school. Maysonet fits in this category, as he started his career at Hofstra in 2009 just before the sport was removed. He led the Pride in rushing that season, tallying 385 yards and three touchdowns.

Maysonet was not forced to redshirt after transferring to Stony Brook and heavily contributed during his sophomore year. In 2010, he rushed for 1,128 yards and 12 touchdowns on 176 carries. Maysonet added 99 receiving yards on nine carries. The next season he continued that momentum, rushing for 1,633 yards and 15 touchdowns on 252 carries. Finally, as a senior, Maysonet topped it off with 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns on 267 carries. His lack of receiving opportunities showed, since he only caught 18 passes for 191 yards in the last three seasons combined.

Analysis

Strengths
Sees snaps from single back, I formation, and pistol. Decisive upfield cuts to continue forward momentum. Sees front side lanes even if run calls for different gap. Determined runner, little wasted movement, makes a choice and sticks to it. Refuses to go down on first contact, takes some big hits because of it. Patient on zone read and sticks with mesh point. Always churning his legs, that's his best quality, never stops. Rarely anything fancy. Protects the football confidently and absorbs contact. Has enough long speed to sustain.

Weaknesses
Runs a bit upright, arms flailing to keep balance on occasion. Rarely looks back side for cut back lanes. Eyes can be bigger than stomach in terms of hurdling tacklers in the open field. Does not possess break away speed. Lacks creative quickness to create when stopped behind the line of scrimmage.

NFL Comparison
Alfred Morris

Bottom Line
Maysonet's collegiate career was abnormal, but he was extremely consistent on the field. While on the path to not missing a game in the last three seasons, Maysonet set multiple records due to an aggressive and decisive running style. He isn't flashy and hasn't shown passing down ability because of limited repetitions, but he could produce as a ball carrier if given an opportunity.

web page

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
If Hardesty goes, has he done enough to get something for him? I think so.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
What are we really going to get for a running back that has shown very little? A 5th round pick? I'm keeping him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The thing you have to worry about trading Hardesty is; can he pass another team's physical.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Hardesty goes, has he done enough to get something for him? I think so.

I kinda liked watching Hardesty last season. that was the first year he was healthy and when given the opportunity, he showed a real burst.

But hey,, if they can improve on his position with another guy,, so be it.

What they can get for him? My guess is, not much. Just a guess

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Yes, thought that too-there is no way he hurdles like that in the NFL. He'll have a short career if he tries.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
You gotta understand that was his highlight film....that was prolly every hurdle he did. I can definitely see why he was picked up. He has a good lean on contact and keeps those legs pumping. A guy with a lot to learn but outstanding upside.
Great pickup!!!! We have nothing to lose if he fails folks but lots to gain if he succeeds from what I see.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
here is a full game of maysonet vs. syracuse:

maysonet vs. syracuse

i like this kid and i like our running backs. i don't think it's smart to just assume that richardson will be healthy for all 16 games. the running game is a war of attrition. i LOVE richardson's nose for the goal line. i like oby's hands in the passing game. i like jackson's veteran presence. i like dion lewis's ability in the return game. i like maysonet's upside. a great group of backs to have in camp.

i was a STAUNCH hater of mike lombardi, but the dude is winning me over. here's to hoping that he continues to make me eat crow.

Last edited by kj85; 05/22/13 03:08 PM.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Stonybrook...the only Football relevant School on Long Island. Yay a local guy on the Browns! Never coached him n don't know much about him...lol But nice to see any kid from a L.I. University actually make it...Hofstra use to put out one here n there till the new president who was bullied I guess from his nerd days??? He hated the football program n ended up closing it down They wanted to go Division 1A but needed a bigger stadium as a criteria - he not only said No he decided to just Cut the program as the return from Division 1AA just wasn't enough for him. He's known as a complete JERK here on Long Island.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Claim Miguel Maysonet off of waivers

Link Copied to Clipboard