Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Noel is the only guy with super-star potential in this draft.

I disagree. I think McLemore and Shabazz both have superstar potential. All these guys have much more risk than usual though.

On the above point from Nas, I think he will not be a productive offensive player in the early goings as well and that is an issue as well as the fact he won't be able to guard the stronger 5's.

In the end, we might gamble on his upside. Pretty much a gamble all-around in this draft. Hopefully, our FO makes the correct choice.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Isn't Grant a big basketball sabermetrics guy?

IIRC both Thompson and Waiters both had very stellar numbers in that regard.

N
Legend
Legend
N
yes, the Cavaliers (and Grant) are considered one of the biggest stat-based FO's (w/ the Spurs, Blazers, Rockets, and now Grizzlies)

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
I wonder what it would take to pry Cousins from Sacramento?

looking at what Chris Sheridan proposes as possibilities, you would think we could easily trump them (from December and proposal #4 is likely a non-starter for Toronto now):
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/12/22/sheridan-four-ways-to-trade-demarcus-cousins/2/

Hmm....how about Andy, Tyler Zeller + #19 for Cousins (and the ever-elusive softening of restrictions on the pick they owe us). Another situation where we could draft Noel and he would only affect depth (at first).

Also, surround Cousins with Tristan, Nerlens, and Mike Brown and that might be one of his better chances at straightening himself out and playing some defense. If not, he's a lost cause.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

My biggest, and most massive problem with Nerlens is his weight. I'm not too scared of his ACL. We've seen guys come back from bad injuries and become absolute monsters: Adrian Peterson and Blake Griffin. His lack of offense is meh. If Nerlens bulked up and gained serious muscle, I don't see why he can't be like Dwight Howard who has jack squat in terms of post moves.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I wonder what it would take to pry Cousins from Sacramento?

looking at what Chris Sheridan proposes as possibilities, you would think we could easily trump them (from December and proposal #4 is likely a non-starter for Toronto now):
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/12/22/sheridan-four-ways-to-trade-demarcus-cousins/2/

Hmm....how about Andy, Tyler Zeller + #19 for Cousins (and the ever-elusive softening of restrictions on the pick they owe us). Another situation where we could draft Noel and he would only affect depth (at first).

Also, surround Cousins with Tristan, Nerlens, and Mike Brown and that might be one of his better chances at straightening himself out and playing some defense. If not, he's a lost cause.

Don't think that trade is close to getting Cousins -- he's much improved this last year.

Maybe Thompson + 19th + giving back their 2014 pick + Andy (through a third team)? for Cousins

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Noel's lack of offense is being severely over-exaggerated. Is he a future NBA scoring champ? No, but he's not Ben Wallace, either.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Anyone know where to find sabermetric numbers on the upcoming draft class?

Looked around myself, couldn't find anything.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It takes the #1 to get Cousins.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

It takes the #1 to get Cousins.

on talent, sure. but, we don't know the mandates from the new owners. interesting times at least. might as well find out.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
jc

I would take Noel #1 barring any problems with the knee or a team blowing the Cavs away with an offer.

Don't overthink this one. The last two drafts we passed on Jonas and Drummond. Now we have a situation where the best talent in the draft happens to be a center and fills a big need. This pick has been gift-wrapped to the Cavs... take him and don't look back.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Noel's lack of offense is being severely over-exaggerated. Is he a future NBA scoring champ? No, but he's not Ben Wallace, either.

He has a small hook shot, but that's it. His weight is my biggest fear. It's alarmingly bad.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Indy just doesn't have that guy with the needed assertiveness on offense to say, "This is a good look for me. I got this when it counts." Their best shot might be David West. That just doesn't bode well for this series for them.

But their defense (outside of being way to slow to get back a couple times) is damn pretty, though. Bring back the era of hand-checking, damnit!

Last edited by 4yikes2yoshi0; 05/22/13 08:54 PM.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
Their help defense is phenomenal. THey wll lose this series in 5 games, but they play superb team defense. It's just that they don't have enough firepower on offense to ever win a title.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Their help defense is phenomenal. THey wll lose this series in 5 games, but they play superb team defense. It's just that they don't have enough firepower on offense to ever win a title.

We have a winner

Legend
Legend
Thanks my man

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Goodness

This game is exactly why you need superstars. You need guys that can make the hard plays. It allows scrub role players to just focus on effort plays.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Paul George is a borderline superstar. He took a huge step forward this season.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
haha Pacers

Legend
Legend
Frank Vogel is a genuine idiot. My mind is absolutely blown away right now. He took out Hibbert twice and what happens? LEBRON DRIVES RIGHT TO THE BASKET.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Completely uncontested. Man, that was laughably bad.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
George should have fouled. That was just silly.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

You're damn right.

I don't care if he has to go to the hole every single time for a slam. His presence in the middle would be HUGE both defensively and rebounding wise.

Between Noel and Thompson we would OWN the middle.

We'd be a 20 a night SF away.

Love? I'd give Minny Verajo, 19, 31, 33 AND our 1st rounder next year (Protected) in a heartbeat.

Where would we be if we went Porter?

Legend
Legend
I went to sleep before the 4th quarter last night and after watching the highlights of the end of the game I'm glad I did. What an idiotic coaching move and what terrible defense from the league's best defensive team. Heat will run through this series now; the Pacers' confidence will be shot.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We'd be a 20 a night SF away.

Fortunately those are very easy to come by.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C

I think it's Noel but he has a long road ahead of him. It's being reported (loosely used, of course) that he won't even be ready to play until the end of December. The guy could stand to add some weight and learn to add to his offensive repertoire. The last part will only come with time and games played, much like Tristan Thompson. Overall, as a front court defender, he's probably exactly what Mike Brown wants. Barring any catastrophic medical reports over the next few weeks or a trade the blows the Cavaliers out of the water, I'm fairly certain he will be the guy.

The more interesting thing for me is what happens to the other three draft picks (#'s 19, 31, 33) coupled with the $20 million in cap space we have. I think this is where we will see some activity. First off, I don't see the Cavaliers drafting four guys to be on the roster next year. There is just no way unless they're euro guys who continue to play overseas and we have some sort of deferred contract with them. So....

1. We do a deal like the Zeller trade last year. Trade our remaining picks with a team for a player we target.

2. Because the exponentially increased luxury tax kicks in this year, teams may have to unload veteran contracts of high caliber talent in order to not get taxed so much. Much like what Memphis did with Rudy Gay, and to a lesser extent, the deal they did with us, we could target a very good vet player with our cap space and make a deal to add a key piece leading a bunch of 2-3 year year guys- Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller.

So in summation, if I had to guess now......it would be either:

1. Noel and a draft day move up to get a college player we like.
2. Noel and trading our remaining picks to get a very good veteran player, hopefully a SF.

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
on the Pacers/Heat game last night, at least the Heat weren't taking cheap shots.

oh, nevermind:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-d...-141631592.html

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
At least they both got whistled for offensive fouls.

Legend
Legend
Take the best scorer. Figure the rest out later.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

so you want Shabazz or McLemore

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

so you want Shabazz or McLemore

The best scorer or the best overall player?

For me it's the best overall player. This team has recently drafted scorers in Irving and Waiters. I like them both immensely and what they bring to the table offensively, but they play NO defense whatsoever. There is only so much scoring to go around IMO when it comes to your starters and if you draft #1, obviously you draft with the intent to have this person start at some point. Waiters averaged 15pts as a rookie even though missing time to injury. Kyrie is, well, Kyrie and will get his 20+ points a game. Tristan averages a double-double and Varejao comes back.

Noel's defensive presence down low will be an added asset to a team that had no "punch" inside the paint. It will take some time, but I think Noel can work into the job of being a dominant defensive center first and have offensive significance. I think he has the best ceiling and is a perfect fit for Cleveland as they wind down Varejao's career here and aren't really sure what they have in Zeller, if anything.

Tackles are tackles.
N
Legend
Legend
N
i'm trying to figure out how to fit Noel on the team in the short term as I don't think he can guard 5's. Thompson was terrible guarding 5s as well. Zeller was a little better, but not a whole bunch (he has the bulk, but needs the strength - maybe he can come back stronger?).

So, if we draft Noel, then we really need Andy IMO. He and Noel can pair up and TT and Zeller can pair up. Otherwise, we have some issues matching up against any team that has a halfway decent center.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
One more thing.....

I think Waiters has shown he has the basketball abilities to become one of the most prolific offensive players moving into the future. And this is a guy that came off the bench at Syracuse. He could easily be the biggest offensive threat over Kyrie IMO. If fact, I hope that's the case. It will lessen the chances Kyrie possibly gets injured by driving to the hole so many times..Kyrie can focus on being the facilitator and taking his established mid-to-long range shots.

If Waiters ends up being a stud, Chris Grant will be deemed a GM genius....taking Thompson when no one thought he'd go that high, along with Waiters in that similar mind set. In fact Chris Grant was largely ridiculed for both picks.

Some people on this board would call him "Reach Grant"

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

So, if we draft Noel, then we really need Andy IMO. He and Noel can pair up and TT and Zeller can pair up. Otherwise, we have some issues matching up against any team that has a halfway decent center.

Well, if it's any consolation ... Miami seems to be doing okay with Bosh at Center, and he's not much bigger than Noel.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Well, if it's any consolation ... Miami seems to be doing okay with Bosh at Center, and he's not much bigger than Noel.

well, it certainly helps that he can hit a jump shot, no?

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Bosh can score more than 5 feet out, and plays alongside two future HoFers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

JMO

If we do draft Noel, he won't play for a few months due to his injury. Once he does, my guess is he comes off the bench. Varejao/ Thompson are the starting front court. Zeller and Noel battle to see who is more deserving to spell Varejao first. Zeller gets the nod because he's played, but Noel will get his chance.

2014-2015 season is when we see Noel progress if we draft him.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Maybe Noel can start out as a defensive substitute at both C and PF. He could come in and exercise his defensive prowess and contribute at important parts of the game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we do draft Noel, he won't play for a few months due to his injury

Couldn't that be a good thing for a rookie that didn't play a full college season? Meaning, most rookies hit a wall because they are going from 30+ games with limited travel to around 80 with cross-country travel. It would be like calling him up midseason.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Is there any realistic scenario where we could end up with Porter and Cody Zeller?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs win the Draft Lotto!! (Plus other basketball talk)

Link Copied to Clipboard