Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
It's no secret Dallas wants Dwight. I've heard & read they want to trade Marion for cap space. I wonder if we can offer 19 and both 2nd rounders for Marion and 13?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

It's no secret Dallas wants Dwight. I've heard & read they want to trade Marion for cap space. I wonder if we can offer 19 and both 2nd rounders for Marion and 13?

I think both 2nd rounders and the Sacramento or Memphis pick would be more appealing to them. Less "hard" money on their cap this offseason.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Marion expires at the end of this year right?

In that case it's a pretty reasonable deal for both sides.

~Lyuokdea
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Marion expires at the end of this year right?

In that case it's a pretty reasonable deal for both sides.

Marion is owed $9.3mil next season, the last year of his deal.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Are they amnesty-ing someone else?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Are they amnesty-ing someone else?

used it on Haywood last offseason. you only get 1 from this CBA.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Honestly, I think we're giving up almost too much in that deal -- taking 9.3M off of somebodies books is a pretty big deal, and we're one of the few teams that can do it.

This is also thought of as a weak class - so I wouldn't want to offer a future 1st round pick (that we'll probably eventually get in the 10-15 range) for a 13 pick now.

I'd say 31 for Marion + 13 might be enough straight up. Not sure which other teams could beat that deal?

~Lyuokdea
N
Legend
Legend
N
there is also the speculation that the Lakers want to unload Pau Gasol for 2nd rounders and something in the frontcourt. So, Andy + 33 might end up being Pau Gasol.

because we have 19,31, and 33, we could end up being able to play Dallas and LAL against each other in their bids to free up cap space for Dwight. of course, that means he's likely to go to GS or Houston.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

there is also the speculation that the Lakers want to unload Pau Gasol for 2nd rounders and something in the frontcourt. So, Andy + 33 might end up being Pau Gasol.

because we have 19,31, and 33, we could end up being able to play Dallas and LAL against each other in their bids to free up cap space for Dwight. of course, that means he's likely to go to GS or Houston.

Why do we want Gasol on this team? One more year on the contract, he's old, he won't be any good at a point we compete, he's overpriced.

In the previous deal, Marion was the cost to get a #13. That makes sense to me....not sure why Gasol could be a benefit.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Thanks. For some reason I thought you get one every year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Why do we want Gasol on this team? One more year on the contract, he's old, he won't be any good at a point we compete, he's overpriced.

In the previous deal, Marion was the cost to get a #13. That makes sense to me....not sure why Gasol could be a benefit.

Have to weigh his age and figure out if last season was more the LAL situation or his deteriorating skills.

If we think LAL situation, then he's an under-rated defender who can also play the stretch-4 position. Allows us to draft a Noel or Gobert as a help defender while he guards the more physical centers. On offense, he's an excellent facilitator while also being a gifted shooter and finisher.

He only has 1 year left. But, I'd take a chance on him for a 2nd round pick + the 1 year left we have with Andy (last year of his contract too).

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Right, except we're not trying to win next year (at least, not really going for it).

You're not going to convince me that Gasol will be underpaid (relative to his production in 2-3 years) when we're actually competing.

This makes no sense.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
From CBS Sports:

Report: Cavaliers eyeing Otto Porter with No.1 pick - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on...r-with-no1-pick

The Washington Post reports that the Cavaliers are considering bucking expected top pick options Ben McLemore and Nerlens Noel to select Georgetown forward Otto Porter:

But there is a possibility that Porter, arguably the most NBA-ready player among the top prospects, might not be around when the Wizards pick third. A source with knowledge of the Cavaliers' thinking said Porter is under consideration to go No. 1.

“I definitely see myself up there,” Porter said last week in Chicago, adding that he believes he can flourish at the next level. “My versatility. I think that's definitely going to show when I get to the NBA. My ability to rebound, bring it up the court, make something happen or set up the play. Anything that it has in store for me, I think my versatility is going to carry over.”

via Wizards move up but could still miss out on Otto Porter Jr.

The Cavaliers won the lottery earlier this week and have their pick of the top prospects. Noel gives them a legit big man to pair with Tristan Thompson (and allow them to move him to power forward). McLemore gives them a scoring wing, which means they can move Dion Waiters to small forward. And Porter immediately slots in at small forward, a position of need, and can help them defensively and on the glass along with that versatility he talked about.

Cleveland's also reportedly open to trading the pick. They have a number of options, which is good. But sometimes having options only means more opportunities to make a mistake. In a weak draft that they need to hit, the Cavs have to be careful with what they do with that No. 1 pick.

The Post reports the Wizards are also interested in Porter at No. 3.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Anyone else read this and think that the Cavs are trying to get the Wizards to trade up to #1 for Porter and then we can still grab Noel at 3?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I can see the Cavs trying to use this as a smokescreen; however, I also would question the intelligence of such a move. The NBA Draft is not like the NFL Draft. In other words, let's say the Cavs can acquire a 2nd Round pick for a move back to #3. A 2nd Round pick is basically peanuts in the NBA and would probably not be worth such a big gamble. In the NBA you have to get the stars that you want as early as possible. If they fall in love with someone who would be a top 5 pick, just take him at #1.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Anyone else read this and think that the Cavs are trying to get the Wizards to trade up to #1 for Porter and then we can still grab Noel at 3?

I doubt Orlando lets Nerlens slip

Legend
Legend
Oh look

KEEPING HIBBERT IN = SOMETHING GOOD

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Really impressed with the way Indiana kept their composure after the loss on Wednesday and blowing the 13-point lead tonight. They're looking totally gassed by the ends of these games though...I hope they can keep it up for three or four more.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Really impressed with the way Indiana kept their composure after the loss on Wednesday and blowing the 13-point lead tonight. They're looking totally gassed by the ends of these games though...I hope they can keep it up for three or four more.

They're draining the hell out of Lebron though.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Yep. I just worry about the way Miami was able to clamp down on defense and hold Indiana scoreless for 4 or 5 straight minutes in the fourth quarter.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yep. I just worry about the way Miami was able to clamp down on defense and hold Indiana scoreless for 4 or 5 straight minutes in the fourth quarter.

You're correct and it terrifies me. San Antonio is the only team in the playoffs left that can score, but I worry about them defensively.

Legend
Legend
Something that has really stood out to me in the Pacers series. Battier is a dirty player that fouls every time down the floor. He can't guard David West or Hibbert in the post WITHOUT fouling. He couldn't guard Boozer down there either without fouling, flopping and every other dirty trick in the book. He's not getting away with it this series.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Yeah, Battier's a clown. Can't wait to watch Psycho T get under his skin some more.

Legend
Legend
Battier is outmatched in this series, which is why he found himself on the bench last night down the stretch. He has the ability to hit an open 3 point shot and can guard a slower, more deliberate guard. But anyone with too much size or quickness is trouble for him.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Game 3 is going to be incredibly tough. Indiana needs to lock down and hold strong at home. If Indiana magically goes up 3-1 Miami will collapse in game 5. It amazed me how calm Indiana was when lebron came out and played like a freaking animal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fine, you guys convinced me. Noel's the guy. Should be hilarious to watch. Can't WAIT to see him try to bang bodies with guys that outweigh him by 50 or more pounds. The MINUTE we select him we better start pumping him full of Steroids and HGH.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, I think Noel will be more power forward ala Larry Nance than a center. Who are the other reasonable considerations?

McLemore
Porter
Olidipo
Len

Any others?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

McLemore gives them a scoring wing, which means they can move Dion Waiters to small forward.

That's legitimately asinine.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

McLemore gives them a scoring wing, which means they can move Dion Waiters to small forward.

That's legitimately asinine.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I agree. I want Waiters right where he is.

I wonder if the Magic might want to trade up to #1?

Porter would seem to fill the biggest need on this team. He is a legitimate SF, and one of very few in this draft. He has solid size at 6'8", and can do a little of everything. Maybe then we look at a big at 19 ..... and maybe see if we can trade our 2 second round picks for something. Who knows? One think I do know if that Chris Grant is as likely to do something completely unexpected, as he is to do what people think that he'll do.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

No I know. I'm just saying...Waiters is 6'4" in tennis shoes. I can't see him defending any small forward down low let alone LeBron in the post.

And as to Noel vs. Porter.

I think Porter is a perfect fit as the third best player on a championship caliber team. I like everything he does. Seems like a willing defender too. I mentioned it before but I think he's a rich man's Kawhi Leonard.

You know who Noel reminds me of most? A straight out of high school Kevin Garnett. 6'11" 215 lbs. Can he ever develop into a KG. I would lean no but it's not out of the question to me.

I honestly don't know who I'd take right now. I think Porter will be a guy that helps good teams win championships. And I think Noel has a higher, superstar level ceiling.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I would lean towards Porter if I were the Cavs. He's an all-around player, more polished, and would also be a position of need. I think he's the safest player in the draft.

Legend
Legend
Anyone want to mention how skinny Otto is? Granted he doesn't need as much muscle as Nerlens, but it's not good.

Legend
Legend
He's listed as 6'8 205. I agree he will need about 20 more pounds, but that is not nearly as big of a deal as Noel's body at this point. Their positions and style of play are so different.

But in all honesty I'm not "down" on Noel because of his weight. I'm more or less looking at it from strictly a basketball perspective. He'll have to improve his skill set greatly whereas Porter won't.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Fine, you guys convinced me. Noel's the guy. Should be hilarious to watch. Can't WAIT to see him try to bang bodies with guys that outweigh him by 50 or more pounds. The MINUTE we select him we better start pumping him full of Steroids and HGH.

Well, neither the NFL nor the NBA even test for HGH, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. That's probably best saved for another thread though.

Anyway...

I'm really impressed by the Pacers team and organization. They have assembled a really nice team and have done it in a small market and without tanking. They have kept their cool despite some really dirty shots and unbelievably bad calls. If they could just a point guard with some handles that would be great

I inexplicably missed the first 2 games of Spurs/Grizzlies.. turning game 3 on now....

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I would lean towards Porter if I were the Cavs. He's an all-around player, more polished, and would also be a position of need. I think he's the safest player in the draft.

If you want to win championships in the NBA you need 2-3 superstars. You have to hit homeruns - I agree that Porter is a safer double, but Noel is much more likely to be a superstar.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If you want to win championships in the NBA you need 2-3 superstars. You have to hit homeruns - I agree that Porter is a safer double, but Noel is much more likely to be a superstar.

That's what it comes down to for me. Give me a potential superstar over a "safe pick."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Think anyone said the same thing about Jordan and Bowie?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Oden/Durant too...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oden/Durant too...

Mehhhhh

That one was a little different. Oden was a dominating force in college that led his team to a championship game. His only concern and unltimate demise was his health.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

MHO I see Noel's upside as a Marcus Camby type at best. As i said earlier i would see if another top 5 team wants to make a trade.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs win the Draft Lotto!! (Plus other basketball talk)

Link Copied to Clipboard