Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I posted this in another thread. How many of the NFLs elite QBs came from a powerhouse school? Tom Brady and Peyton Manning came from traditional powerhouse schools in Michigan and Tennessee. However think about how many QBs from big name schools never amount to much in the NFL. How many great QBs have come from USC, Ohio State or Alabama? Look at today's franchise QBs:

Joe Flacco - Delaware

Eli Manning - Ole Miss

Matt Ryan - Boston College

Aaron Rodgers - Cal

Drew Brees - Purdue

Ben Roethlisburger - Miami Ohio

Andrew Luck - Stanford

RG3 - Baylor

Would you draft a QB from a bigger school over a QB from a smaller school if they are the same physically? What causes this phenomenon?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Sorry Candyman not a post directly answering your discussion. But hopefully the Refs will move this to Pure Football as I can only Assume this Forum will be Purged soon n all threads lost???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Sorry Candyman not a post directly answering your discussion. But hopefully the Refs will move this to Pure Football as I can only Assume this Forum will be Purged soon n all threads lost???

I'd be cool with that!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What causes this phenomenon?

Hype.

Big schools get the TV exposure simply by virtue of being a football factory. This gets their players more attention, more attention is more people talking about them.
Nobody talks about the small school QB's because unless the school is in your local TV market, you likely never see them play but once a year at best.

It is also ASSUMED by many that just because a player isn't at a bigger school that they aren't good enough to be at a bigger school. It is also ASSUMED that what the bigger schools look for in a QB matches up with what they'll be doing in the NFL.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Would you draft a QB from a bigger school over a QB from a smaller school if they are the same physically? What causes this phenomenon?

If you ask me, you can't really look at the production of a quarterback, when you are trying to see what he can do at the next level. I think a lot of it is stuff that us fans don't see. The maturity level, commitment/work ethic, how fast they can process information, and how their body will develop over the next 7-10 years.

When you remove production out of the equation, that takes away what we see the most. That also blurs the line between big program QB's and QB's from other schools.

I'm one of those people that didn't think Aaron Rogers became great because he sat on the bench for all those years. I think having those years to develop without the abuse and scrutiny probably helped, but I thought he would have probably been good anyway. Maybe he doesn't fit well with another team though?

I hate Roethlisburger with a passion, but I think the guy could play with any team. I'd be lying if I told you I knew he'd be good when he was playing at Miami. All I knew was that he was a big guy with decent feet playing in a second-tier conference.

I think scouting a QB for the NFL might be one of the toughest jobs in all of sports management. If you don't have one, you need one, and if you pick the wrong guy, you'll most likely be fired.

Legend
Legend
I recently read an article that argued why it is smart to draft a QB from a "bad" team. Basically it said that QBs from bad schools need to extend plays, throw in tighter windows, and make others around them even that much better (the talent around them is not what it would be at Alabama, USC, etc). I can't recall where I saw this ... and I'm not even saying I agree with it, but it was interesting.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I recently read an article that argued why it is smart to draft a QB from a "bad" team. Basically it said that QBs from bad schools need to extend plays, throw in tighter windows, and make others around them even that much better (the talent around them is not what it would be at Alabama, USC, etc). I can't recall where I saw this ... and I'm not even saying I agree with it, but it was interesting.

Now see, I absolutely can agree with this.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I posted this in another thread. How many of the NFLs elite QBs came from a powerhouse school? Tom Brady and Peyton Manning came from traditional powerhouse schools in Michigan and Tennessee. However think about how many QBs from big name schools never amount to much in the NFL. How many great QBs have come from USC, Ohio State or Alabama? Look at today's franchise QBs:

Joe Flacco - Delaware

Eli Manning - Ole Miss

Aaron Rodgers - Cal

Drew Brees - Purdue

Andrew Luck - Stanford

RG3 - Baylor

I really only see Deleware as a small school......possibly Baylor, it isn't all that rinky dink......ok Miami of Ohio after review would be as well.

Ole Miss is a SEC school. I don't care what you say, you are pretty darn good to start there....add in Purdue, Cal, Stanford, etc.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Joe Flacco - Delaware

Eli Manning - Ole Miss

Aaron Rodgers - Cal

Drew Brees - Purdue

Andrew Luck - Stanford

RG3 - Baylor

I really only see Deleware as a small school......possibly Baylor, it isn't all that rinky dink......ok Miami of Ohio after review would be as well.

Ole Miss is a SEC school. I don't care what you say, you are pretty darn good to start there....add in Purdue, Cal, Stanford, etc.

Ole Miss is traditional mediocre at best historically, spin it however you want to.

What makes you think highly of Purdue, Cal and Stanford?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

It's not the size of the school that is the important part. You have to consider your chances at drafting a good player at any other position is much greater at a powerhouse. Consider how many more successful NFL players come from Bama, LSU, Flordia USC, Texas, etc. It's true across all positions except QB.

My point is its not a midpoint disection of "big" schools and "small" schools. It's more powerhouse schools and anywhere else. When you look at the data of how many dominant QBs come from outside of the powerhouses compared to any other position it is rather alarming.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with that, and in fairness to Candy he referenced powerhouse schools at the opening of his thread. His final words in the opening thread referenced small school, which is what stuck when I made my reply.

I also never said one way or the other where I would prefer to take a QB. As with you, and him I assume, you can find them from all levels of the game....at least with-in reason. You might not find many out of some NAIA conference.

I suppose if you are simply playing the odds you would take a kid from one of the brand schools, meaning schools in a top brand conference such as a Big-10.....but, the MAC is a prime example of what most would call a step down conference yet it has produced a good number of quality signal callers.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Two things:

--tab is right, move it to Pure Football. t

--I think the criteria for judging the school is something we need to work out in the thread. For example, "bigger schools vs smaller schools" might be a problem. Some of the larger universities are Minnesota, Arizona State, Texas A & M, Indiana, Michigan State, etc. A team like Indiana isn't exactly a powerhouse.

How about we get organized about this? List all the QBs of the NFL teams and the colleges that they attended. We then look at the school and decide if they are a traditional power [such as Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc], a larger university that is typically mediocre [Purdue, Colorado, Mississippi, Kansas, etc], a well known university that is typically terrible [New Mexico, Duke, Tulane, Wake Forrest, etc], or a little known university [Delaware, Eastern Illinois, etc.] We can then put the qbs in the categories and that should help us see if there is any sort of pattern involved. If there is, we can then examine why that might be. How does that sound?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great idea!

I can definetly do a list like that rather quickly, I just worry how long his thread will be up.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
A QB or two may have been left out of this. Compiled from Wikipedia's list of each team's last starting QB. Updated to remove players who only started due to injury at the end of the season (e.g. Thad Lewis, Terrelle Pryor).

Code:

Sam Bradford Oklahoma
Tom Brady Michigan
Drew Brees Purdue
Matt Cassel USC
Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
Andy Dalton TCU
Ryan Fitzpatrick Harvard
Joe Flacco Delaware
Josh Freeman Kansas State
Robert Griffin III Baylor
Chad Henne Michigan
Colin Kaepernick Nevada
Kevin Kolb Houston
Jake Locker Washington
Andrew Luck Stanford
Eli Manning Ole Miss
Peyton Manning Tennessee
Cam Newton Auburn
Carson Palmer USC
Christian Ponder Florida State
Brady Quinn Notre Dame
Philip Rivers NC State
Aaron Rodgers Cal
Ben Roethlisberger Miami (Ohio)
Tony Romo Eastern Illinois
Matt Ryan Boston College
Mark Sanchez USC
Matt Schaub Virginia
Alex Smith Utah
Matthew Stafford Georgia
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
Michael Vick Virginia Tech
Brandon Weeden Oklahoma State
Russell Wilson Wisconsin

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Code:

Sam Bradford Oklahoma
Tom Brady Michigan
Matt Cassel USC
Chad Henne Michigan
Peyton Manning Tennessee
Carson Palmer USC
Russell Wilson Wisconsin
Brady Quinn Notre Dame
Mark Sanchez USC

Matthew Stafford Georgia
Cam Newton Auburn
Drew Brees Purdue
Andy Dalton TCU
Eli Manning Ole Miss
Aaron Rodgers Cal
Matt Ryan Boston College
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
Matt Schaub Virginia

Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
Ryan Fitzpatrick Harvard
Colin Kaepernick Nevada
Kevin Kolb Houston
Jake Locker Washington
Andrew Luck Stanford
Philip Rivers NC State
Alex Smith Utah

Joe Flacco Delaware

yeah? I'm not the biggest college fanboy but this is a grouping to work off of.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cool. You should ask the refs if they will move it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
While I understand its probably easier to assess the ability of a large school QB, because of the strength of competition, I think its really more about the individual than the school size. Consider the following list of small / smaller college QB's who had solid to great careers in the NFL:

Ken Anderson, Augustana College, 3rd round
Doug Williams, Grambling, 1st round
Phil Simms, Morehead St, 1st round
Kurt Warner, Northern Iowa, UDFA
Steve McNair, Alcorn St, 1st round

I read that when the Bengals' Bill Walsh scouted Ken Anderson at Augustana, he already knew that Anderson was head-and-shoulders above his competitors at that level, and he also knew that Anderson was a sprint-out QB with 4.7 speed who could throw the ball 70 yards, and was extremely intelligent. But what impressed him most was that when he scouted Anderson, he played the entire game after suffering an injury (a hip pointer) that would have sent a lot of QB's to the sideline. But Anderson finished the game, and Walsh knew he was tough enough for the NFL game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Anderson_(quarterback)

That said, I think its probably an advantage for a QB to play at a large program, but its not the be-all, end-all. They just show up at the pro level more prepared for the spotlight.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Code:

Sam Bradford Oklahoma
Tom Brady Michigan
Matt Cassel USC
Chad Henne Michigan
Peyton Manning Tennessee
Carson Palmer USC
Russell Wilson Wisconsin
Brady Quinn Notre Dame
Mark Sanchez USC

Matthew Stafford Georgia
Cam Newton Auburn
Drew Brees Purdue
Andy Dalton TCU
Eli Manning Ole Miss
Aaron Rodgers Cal
Matt Ryan Boston College
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
Matt Schaub Virginia

Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
Ryan Fitzpatrick Harvard
Colin Kaepernick Nevada
Kevin Kolb Houston
Jake Locker Washington
Andrew Luck Stanford
Philip Rivers NC State
Alex Smith Utah

Joe Flacco Delaware

yeah? I'm not the biggest college fanboy but this is a grouping to work off of.

I'd move Georgia and Auburn up a notch. Maybe Texas A&M

I'd move Stanford and OK State up a notch

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Yeah, I'd make a couple adjustments as well.

Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M all need to be in the same tier IMO. In order to go about doing this, I'd personally create a new tier.

I also agree with Ballpeen about moving Stanford and Oklahoma State up a notch. Actually this is how I'd arrange the whole thing:

Sam Bradford Oklahoma
Tom Brady Michigan
Matt Cassel USC
Chad Henne Michigan
Carson Palmer USC
Brady Quinn Notre Dame
Mark Sanchez USC

Peyton Manning Tennessee
Russell Wilson Wisconsin
Matthew Stafford Georgia
Cam Newton Auburn
Andy Dalton TCU
Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M

Drew Brees Purdue
Eli Manning Ole Miss
Matt Schaub Virginia
Aaron Rodgers Cal
Matt Ryan Boston College
Jake Locker Washington
Andrew Luck Stanford
Philip Rivers NC State
Alex Smith Utah

Colin Kaepernick Nevada
Kevin Kolb Houston
Jay Cutler Vanderbilt

Ryan Fitzpatrick Harvard
Joe Flacco Delaware

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Like I said I am not an expert of the college ranks. The only thing I'll say is not to purely go by how the NCAA looks right now. Some of these QBs came out 15 years ago. It should be based on how the school has been over the entire timespan of when Qbs could have come out not just now IMO.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Yeah, I completely agree.

With respect to the time periods their respective QBs were playing for them, I think the only schools I may have been generous with are Virginia Tech, Utah, Kansas State, and maybe TCU.

IMO, Tennessee (even when they were good) and Wisconsin aren't and never have been remotely close to USC, Michigan, and ND in terms of prestige. Florida State is closer, but I still think their program was more accomplished than Tennessee/Wisconsin when Ponder was their starting QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ranking these teams is tough. Do we go by their entire history? The last 10-15 years? The last couple of years? Last year? LOL

Since we have QBs who have been in the league for 10-15 years, I think that is what we should use as our parameter.

I think a lot of these schools need to be moved up.

Certainly Georgia and Auburn need to be moved up into the top group. Probably VA Tech and Tennessee, as well. Heck, Wisconsin has had a powerful team for years now.

I think teams like Washington, Ok St, NC State, BC, Stanford, and maybe Kansas St should be moved up a notch.

The only team I see moving down might be Notre Dame. If we go by all-time, they would be at the top. If we go by last year, they would be in the top group, but they have had quite a run of years of being mediocre.

Just looking at the lists you guys provided and how I would rate the colleges, I gotta say it's looking like taking a qb from a power school or at least a larger school isn't such a bad idea. But, it's too early for that. Plenty of research, discussion, and debate left.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Interesting concept...draft QB from bad teams cause the MAYHEM they experience is similar to what they will experience in the NFL.

I always remembered when a lot of people were Gaga about Leinhert, USC (sp) n I was like how can I judge him as a QB...He would drop back...don't have a breath of a Dman on him for like 5 seconds and then hit a WIDE OPEN WR without a DB 5 yards close to them. If anything regarding the SEC schools I think they n Big 10??? (OSU, Mich, Penn St., etc) have the toughest Defenses so that most O players had to work harder?

There of course is not formula - it could be used as a Profile. But Football players still have to be broken down Individually. The entire PROCESS is to try to evaluate WHO WILL TRANSITION to the NFL. QB is one of the Hardest. OT is one of the easiest to evaluate. Both have a skill set needed that only a few can compete for.

OG, LB, RB n WR there are many prospects who come up with the skill set to succeed - why None should be invested in with early Impact picks as a set of rules...of course again that is a profile. Individually any one player can break the glass of a profile. I hope Trent becomes one. Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Ernie Davis all college players that would break the glass. Many more - OJ, Sanders, Faulk would be high up there.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I think the power ranked schools tend to get the more polished players. You look at guys like Barkley and Clausen of late and they peaked really early. I think the key is maybe a guy who has grown into an elite skillset but has had to work to get there. A guy who comes out no1 in HS probably won't be an effective leader down the road if he hasn't had hardships. Another reason why I'm on the early Bridgewater wagon. Sure Louisville is a big school but as of late it's not a recruiting powerhouse or an NFL prospect powerhouse. He's had to work to win. Griffin and Luck were the same way.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Ranking these teams is tough. Do we go by their entire history? The last 10-15 years? The last couple of years? Last year?

Tough call.

For example, look at the MAC when Roethlisberger was there.

QB's in the conference included Big Ben, Frye, Cribbs, Gradkowski, Josh Harris, etc.

Not a murderer's row, exactly, but anytime a conference sends nearly half it's starting QB's into the NFL, there's something good going on.

Michael Turner, Greg Jennings, Lance Moore, Jason Babin, Larry English ... lots of good talent in that conference, and they knocked off quite a few ranked squads that year (and were ranked themselves).

They've also churned out some good QB's over the years (and just had a conference guy go #1 overall).

The MAC often fluctuates between 'small schools' and 'second-tier'.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

QB's in the conference included Big Ben, Frye, Cribbs, Gradkowski, Josh Harris, etc.

I think Leftwich and Omar Jacobs were there also.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I think Leftwich and Omar Jacobs were there also.

I was just listing guys there in 2003.

Yeah, Leftwich was there a year earlier, and Jacobs replaced Josh Harris.

If you dig deeper, there's even more ... Pennington, Culpepper ...

Not just QB's ... Jason Taylor, Randy Moss, James Harrison, Asante Samuel, Cullen Jenkins, Troy Brown...

And the Browns have had quite a few MAC alumni since we came back...

Cribbs, Barry Stokes, Frye, Brad Maynard, Reggie Hodges, Dave Zastudil, LJ Shelton, Josh Harris, James King, Bob Hallen, Travis Prentice, Frisman Jackson, Chris Crocker, Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, Usama Young, Abe Elam, John Greco ... probably missing some.

But it looks like the Steelers and Browns have both brought on a lot of MAC players in recent years.

Guess we picked the wrong ones.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good take. When I was trying to come up w/categories for candyman, I was wondering where the MAC fit in. They could be in a few of the categories, at least two for sure.

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
If we're going to accurately categorize these schools based on how good each of these QBs' supporting casts were and how good their inter-conference competition was at the time, we're going to have to do a lot of research. lol

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If we're going to accurately categorize these schools based on how good each of these QBs' supporting casts were and how good their inter-conference competition was at the time, we're going to have to do a lot of research. lol

Or we could just assume that the surrounding casts and opponents would be about equal in proportion and the QBs would all be facing pretty much the same thing.

Yep, the MAC QB might not have as good a line as the SEC guy, but the MAC D isn't going to be as good as the SEC D, so it pretty much balances out.

That probably explains why the MAC does provide a higher number of QBs as a percentage then they do other positions.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, that isn't what I meant. LOL

MAC schools are just hard to categorize.

I do think teams like Auburn, Georgia, Wisconsin, and Tennessee belong in the top group. Over the last 10-15 years, all those schools have been ranked in the Top 25 in multiple years.

That would be cool if someone had a program that could list the number of Top 25 finishes of all the schools. That could be our top group. The other groups would then be easier to identify. Except the MAC, of course.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

No, that isn't what I meant. LOL

MAC schools are just hard to categorize.

I do think teams like Auburn, Georgia, Wisconsin, and Tennessee belong in the top group. Over the last 10-15 years, all those schools have been ranked in the Top 25 in multiple years.

That would be cool if someone had a program that could list the number of Top 25 finishes of all the schools. That could be our top group. The other groups would then be easier to identify. Except the MAC, of course.

web page

In the 90's as an example, Tn. finished in the top 25 every year.......8,14,12,12,22,3,9,7,1,9.

From 200-2009 they finished in the top 25 half the time with finishes of 25,4,16,23,12.

It's crazy to think they would even be considered anything but top tier, though I agree the last 4-5 years haven't been kind to the Vols.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Ask and ye shall receive:

Since 1998 (last 15 seasons)
Georgia - 13
VA Tech - 13
Oklahoma - 12
Michigan - 11
Florida St. - 11
Wisconsin - 10
USC - 9
TCU - 9
Tennessee - 7
Kansas St. - 7
Notre Dame - 6
Boston College - 5
Ole Miss - 4
Purdue - 4
Stanford - 4
Texas A&M - 4
Utah - 4
California - 3
Oklahoma St. - 3
Washington - 2
NC State - 2
Baylor - 1
Houston - 1
Miami (OH) - 1
Nevada - 1
Vanderbilt - 1

Harvard, Delaware, and E. Illinois all compete in FCS

(All ranking from final AP, using link and link)

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Since 1998 (last 15 seasons)

Ole Miss - 4
Purdue - 4
Stanford - 4
Texas A&M - 4
Utah - 4
California - 3
Oklahoma St. - 3
Washington - 2
NC State - 2
Baylor - 1
Houston - 1
Miami (OH) - 1
Nevada - 1
Vanderbilt - 1

Harvard, Delaware, and E. Illinois all compete in FCS

(All ranking from final AP, using link and link)

I am really enjoying the spirit of cooperation going on in this thread.

Looking at the list of top 25 finishes I can't help but wonder about the teams with fewer top finishes (4 and under). I think it is safe to assume that the majority of those top finishes were in years where the current NFL signal callers were at the helm. This makes me wonder if the higher ranking resulted from great qb play or if the high ranking led to increased exposure for the qb. I've got to think that quality ranking results from quality play. I'd also be willing to bet that it isn't just the qb position that receives the love, and that if we were to look at the drafting of players from these schools in years that followed top 25 finishes we would see a spike in all positions across the board.

I should look this up for myself, but I am fadin' fast (should of been asleep an hour ago). Sorry for killing the spirit of cooperation. Maybe this is too common-sensical to require any looking into; I am feeling a little slow-witted.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saved my record of the years these teams finished in the top 25.

Ole Miss: 1999, 2003, 2008, 2009 (Eli was there from 2001-2004)
Purdue: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003 (Brees 1997-2000)
Stanford: 2001, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Luck 2009-2011)
Texas A&M: 1998, 1999, 2010, 2012 (Tannehill 2008-2011)
Utah: 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 (Smith 2002-2004)
California: 2004, 2005, 2006 (Rodgers 2002-2004)
Oklahoma St.: 2008, 2010, 2011 (Weeden 2008-2011)
Washington: 2000, 2001 (Locker 2007-2010)
NC State: 2002, 2010 (Rivers 2000-2004)
Baylor: 2011 (Griffin 2008-2011)
Houston: 2011 (Kolb 2003-2006)
Miami (OH): 2003 (2001-2003)
Nevada: 2010 (Kaepernick 2007-2010)
Vanderbilt: 2012 (Cutler 2002-2005)

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Excellent work, 214. There really is a lot of cooperation in this thread.

What about Auburn? I don't see them on there and Cam was their QB. And is NC State on there? They had Phillip Rivers, right.

The other thing that might help is to see the # of Top 25 finishes of teams most of us generally think of as powerful schools, such as Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Florida, etc. Anyone feel up to that?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Florida 20 times since 1990.

OSU 16

Auburn 11

It can easily be found in the link I provided. I am just looking at the USA poll....

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Big School QB vs Smaller School QB

Link Copied to Clipboard