B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
LINK

“Global rock icon” to launch Browns season in July

Posted by Mike Florio on May 28, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Before the Browns welcome legendary running back Jim Brown back into the fold, the Browns will make a “major announcement” regarding the manner in which the upcoming football season will get started.

The Browns have announced that, at 3:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, the Browns will announce that a “global rock icon” will launch the 2013 season in July.

Browns CEO Joe Banner, President Alec Scheiner, and “prominent Browns players” will attend the event at the South Club Lounge at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Make your guesses below as to who it will be.  The Factory of Sadness guy likely isn’t rooting for Kenny Chesney.

As I always do in situations like this, I’ll vote for KISS.

Legend
Legend
My guess is this turd.

Legend
Legend
It'll probably be Mariah Carey, or something.

David Bowie would be cool.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I would guess Paul McCartney, aka, The Beatle.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
PLEASE be Black Sabbath!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'd guess it's probably someone with Cleveland/NE Ohio ties. Dave Grohl? Joe Walsh?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd guess it's probably someone with Cleveland/NE Ohio ties. Dave Grohl? Joe Walsh?

Michael Stanley Band?

Browns is the Browns

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
The Pretenders?

F
Legend
Legend
F
Being that they used the phrase "Global Rock Icon", I'm going out o the box an assume none of those 3 actually describe the artist and pick Bjork, Sinead O'Conner or the ever popular David Hasselhoff..

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

or the ever popular David Hasselhoff

Blasphemer.

Browns is the Browns

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

or the ever popular David Hasselhoff

Blasphemer.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!

and I am totally not kidding!

Browns is the Browns

S
Legend
Legend
S
Please tell me the Bon Jovi rumors are just people having fun on Twitter.

Awful.

Legend
Legend
that was my alternate google image search.

Gotta think, if Belichick loves him, it's a possibility.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
What exactly is launching a season? Some sort of concert? A song during our first halftime?

I doubt Bruce Springsteen is going to be our starting tight end. I hate this sort of news, it is non-football football news. As if I care about musicians.

Bring in a guy like Kanye West who the players would actually like to meet. Enough of this music for old white guys that the players could give 2 bits about.

</senseless anger>

Last edited by Kingcob; 05/28/13 11:37 AM.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I doubt Bruce Springsteen is going to be our starting tight end.

Can he block?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I would guess Paul McCartney, aka, The Beatle.

agreed, and he just happens to be in the eastern US/Canada in early July...

Legend
Legend
inbeforeaRickRoll

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N

nothing says Cleveland football like a guy from Jersey (Bon Jovi)

I like the idea, but there are alot of nationally popular bands with members from the area he could have tabbed instead.

NiN, Bone Thugs n' Harmony, Joe Walsh, David Grohl, Guns N' Roses, Tool/Perfect Circle are some of the older obvious names.

Pairing one of them with "The Black Keys" to make the event open to both old and new generations would have been the smart and obvious choice IMO.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Bon Jovi? Haha what a joke. I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'd rather just have The Pretenders than Bon Jovi. At least they have some relevance.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Man, if reaching a younger generation of potential fans is the goal, Bon Jovi isn't the way to that. Maybe they see the correlation in that both the team and the band are living off their past glories of 25 years ago.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Horrible.

I'm sorry, I'm sure there are some people here that love Bon Jovi, but you can't get everyone worked up for a major announcement for a big "rock act" and then say Bon Jovi. U2? Rolling Stones? Bruce? Paul McCartney? Aerosmith?

None of those acts are my cup of tea, but if they had announced one of those, I would have totally agreed with it. Bon Freaking Jovi. Factory of Sadness.

Factory of God-awful music.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Justin Beiber!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What exactly is launching a season? Some sort of concert? A song during our first halftime?

I doubt Bruce Springsteen is going to be our starting tight end. I hate this sort of news, it is non-football football news. As if I care about musicians.

Bring in a guy like Kanye West who the players would actually like to meet. Enough of this music for old white guys that the players could give 2 bits about.

</senseless anger>

I'm quite sure that they bring in people the fans want to see ..... not necessarily the players.

I wouldn't go see Kanye West for free. His music does absolutely nothing for me. I also wouldn't go see a twangy country music show. Same thing.

As far as "launching the season" ... who knows? Haslam and Banner have talked about improving the fan experience all along. Hopefully they come up with something that the fans will really enjoy. Maybe it'll be prior to the 1st game, or maybe it'll be the day of the 1st game. Maybe they could have the "World's Biggest Tailgate" prior to the game, with a concert taking place outside of the stadium a couple of hours prior to the 1st game? Who knows? That could be pretty cool, and get the crowd hyped up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C The Stones are on tour...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man, if reaching a younger generation of potential fans is the goal, Bon Jovi isn't the way to that.

Maybe the goal is to go after the 35-50 year old female demographic.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Man, if reaching a younger generation of potential fans is the goal, Bon Jovi isn't the way to that.

Maybe the goal is to go after the 35-50 year old female demographic.

Oh cmon, he hits way bigger demographics than that one.

He also hits the 50-100yo female demographic. And, he'll bring in all those old Philadelphia Soul fans we have living in the area.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Per the article
"The Browns have announced that, at 3:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, the Browns will announce that a “global rock icon” will launch the 2013 season in July."

So it will be something probably to kick off training camp???

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

nothing says Cleveland football like a guy from Jersey (Bon Jovi)

I like the idea, but there are alot of nationally popular bands with members from the area he could have tabbed instead.

NiN, Bone Thugs n' Harmony, Joe Walsh, David Grohl, Guns N' Roses, Tool/Perfect Circle are some of the older obvious names.

Pairing one of them with "The Black Keys" to make the event open to both old and new generations would have been the smart and obvious choice IMO.

They are looking for guys who can put 70,000 in the stadium. Hell, Bone does shows in Cleveland area clubs or at outdoor venues.

Tool would have to be part of festival. Foo Fighters could possibly do it. GnR could only do it if it was a reunion of the original band.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

GnR could only do it if it was a reunion of the original band.

If you want to wait three hours hoping the prima donna will show up........

No thanks.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
It's been confirmed that it is Bon Jovi and Michael Stanley will be that show.

*SMH*

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Legend
Legend
I may know one single person that would want to attend that show. Now, I don't know a lot of people, but I think I know enough people to say this concert will draw little interest.

Oh well.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I'm not a Bon Jovi fan but I don't really care about any musical act they want to bring in anyways. One of those situations where nothing would make me happy. Any distraction from football is like a turd in my punchbowl

Maybe if some NFL hall of famers or browns/former browns had a band I'd be interested. I'm sure Steve Everitt can shred some metal.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I didn't like Bon Jovi 30 years ago... You know, the last time they had a hit... Why do corporate sponsors and owners like these rehashed has beens as half time shows and such? I just don't get it. The 80's are thankfully, mercifully, over. Can't we move on to at least the 90's. Put Pearl Jam on stage. Anything but Bon Jovi?! Why not Winger or Warrant? Geez!

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I may know one single person that would want to attend that show. Now, I don't know a lot of people, but I think I know enough people to say this concert will draw little interest.

Oh well.

LOL Bon Jovi could sell out the place on his own. He's still huge around the world. Add in Michael Stanley (who is pop/rock royalty in and around Cleveland) and I'm thinking it will definitely sell out (or come darn close).

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I didn't like Bon Jovi 30 years ago... You know, the last time they had a hit... Why do corporate sponsors and owners like these rehashed has beens as half time shows and such? I just don't get it. The 80's are thankfully, mercifully, over. Can't we move on to at least the 90's. Put Pearl Jam on stage. Anything but Bon Jovi?! Why not Winger or Warrant? Geez!

I would go and see Winger at CBS if it kept Bon Jovi away from the stadium.

Pearl Jam? Not a fan, but if that were the announced act, Ok I get it!

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

It's been confirmed that it is Bon Jovi and Michael Stanley will be that show.

*SMH*

REALLY??
I was hoping it was CLEMDAWG
Opening up his.... Against the Wall Tour....

Pink Floyd on the Cello

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Oh well.

LOL Bon Jovi could sell out the place on his own. He's still huge around the world. Add in Michael Stanley (who is pop/rock royalty in and around Cleveland) and I'm thinking it will definitely sell out (or come darn close).

Its also a safe pick, and a pick that will cater to a little older of a crowd, a crowd that is more likely to have more disposable income, and not spending handsomely for premium seats. I don't know that I would go, but Bon Jovi does have a huge following from a broad spectrum of people.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
That's true, I mean there is a giant population of middle aged women/cougars in this country.

I don't have a problem with the show as much as I have a problem with them saying it's a big act. They were making it like the Beatles were going to be announced.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum “Global rock icon” to launch Browns season in July

Link Copied to Clipboard