Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
other thread is over 300, so let's start a new one.

and, another reason to be fearful of Shabazz (sadly) as his dad is just not a good person:

Quote:

As Shabazz Muhammad stands on the verge of achieving his lifelong dream of becoming an NBA lottery pick, the man who helped mold the former UCLA star into a pro prospect is unable to enjoy the final steps of the process with him.

Ron Holmes, Muhammad's father, has been indicted on federal bank fraud and conspiracy charges and is currently being detained in Las Vegas pending a detention hearing, the Las Vegas Review Journal reported Thursday night. The U.S. attorney’s office is seeking to recover $2.5 million from Holmes and several associates, each of whom allegedly obtained loans to buy houses from 2006 to 2009 by fraudulent means.

The charges against Holmes can't be considered too shocking since this isn't his first brush with the law. In a case that bears remarkable similarities to the current charges, Holmes was sentenced to six months house arrest in 2000 for fraud involving multiple mortgages in the Los Angeles area.

Beyond that, Holmes has a checkered reputation in basketball circles.

The NCAA thoroughly investigated the family last year prior to Muhammad debuting at UCLA because of money the family accepted from several financial advisers. The Los Angeles Times also revealed in March that Muhammad was a year older than Holmes initially claimed, an accusation Holmes initially denied before later offering reporter Ken Bensinger a job in return for not reporting the information.

"Bazz is going to blow up in the NBA lets team up and blow this thing up!!!" Holmes texted, according to Bensinger. "I'm going to need a publicist anyway why shouldn't it be you. We can do some big things together."

Muhammad may do big things, but right now his father isn't helping. The ex-UCLA star left college after one season and will likely be selected in the lottery later this month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-...-151945497.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would be really, really concerned about investing a top 10 pick on him.

I think that he's going to drop a fair amount in this draft. He might even be available for us at 19. I think that 19 might be a decent risk ..... but anything above that would really scare me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If I'm the Thunder I draft him and hope he can become a poor man's James Harden.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

If I'm the Thunder I draft him and hope he can become a poor man's James Harden.

that is exactly the type of player I think he can be. the problem is if he has issues or not. he could also end up being Michael Beasely.

if he's right in the head (conflicting reports - it might just be his dad), then I'd trade up to nab him. if not, then I'd steer clear (rather take a gamble on a guy like Cousins than him if he's got issues).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Teams are gonna regret passing on this kid.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Chris Andersen suspended for game 6.

Legend
Legend
Just a random thought came into my mind about the 2007 finals. Could we have beaten Phoenix? I kind of forgot the guys they had on that team: Nash, Stat, Raja Bell, Barbosa, Diaw and Marion. They could score but couldn't defend to save their lives.

Man, their series against San Antonio showed why you need luck to win a title. Losing Diaw and Stat really screwed them.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Chris Andersen suspended for game 6.

I'm surprised, but it's absolutely the right call. That whole sequence was ridiculous and embarrassing. He should have been ejected in game 5.

http://www.youtube.com/v/LVHPj5J-Jv4&feature=player_embedded

Legend
Legend
I think that Olapido is going to be a solid pro ...... but probably a backup, and a floater between SF and SG. He has limitations at each spot, but should be a solid defensive stopper type. Right now he's not going to give a team much as a shooter. He's athletic, and will help a great deal on defense .....and he'll definitely be a nice piece in transition.

He has great athleticism, which puts him in the upper tier of the draft, but like everyone in this draft, he also has limitations and flaws in his game that have to be improved upon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I'd be shocked if he's not a starter. The two major flaws in his game are his ball handling and shooting. I believe he is purely a 2 guard that will play SF sparingly.

Legend
Legend
I dunno. He reminds me a little of Alonzo Gee. He's a really good defender, can make some shots if he gets streaky hot. He can be an option in transition. He's really not a good shooter though. (I do think that he is far more athletic than Gee though ..... and the similarity is limited to what I outlined here)

It seems to me that most good teams have a solid scorer at either SG or SF. I think that Olapido will be a SG in the NBA, mainly because of his size. However, I think that he will be limited because of his lack of ability on the offensive end.

If he becomes a starter on a good team, they will need to have really strong scorers all around him. It's kind of like Noel ..... he can be a really strong defensive presence, but he will need solid scorers around him because of his lack of an offensive game.

Getting back to the Gee comparison ..... can he be a starter on a team with solid scorers at PG, SG, PF, and C? Probably. He's a plus level defender, and an occasional scoring threat. That's what I see when i look at Olapido.

Man ..... there are a lot of players in this draft who have intriguing abilities, but are flawed. There are no players who don't have major flaws. It will be interesting to see how this draft turns out.

Legend
Legend
Mehhhh

I see what you're saying, but I'm not a fan of the Gee comparison. Victor can score a LOT better and his jump shot isn't completly awful.

Legend
Legend
It was a loose comparison. I just see him taking on a similar type role as Gee has ..... defensive stopper, and occasional help scoring. He might be the guy who all of a sudden hits 4 or 5 threes in a row in a game ...... then misses 8 of 10 shots overall in the next.

Legend
Legend
What do you guys think of Nikola Pekovic? Him and Nerlens would compliment eachother. Pekovic is a 6'11 290 LBS true center that can score. Nerlens can then strictly do what he does best and guard PFs.

Legend
Legend
Hopefully Indiana wins tonight. The damage will have been done even if Miami wins game 7. San Antonio has 10 days of rest and Miami will only have 3 days.

Legend
Legend
I think the Heat close it out tonight. I'd say Heat by 6-8. The Pacers' biggest weakness is their lack of depth; plus, they don't have a go-to scorer. When their offense gets stagnant they are VERY easy to defend.

When Miami began to double Hibbert ON THE CATCH, it really forced Indy out of their comfort zone. Hibbert is a terrible passer out of the post and their only safety net was to make that pass to the high post ... which the Heat jumped on a few times if you remember correctly.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the Heat close it out tonight. I'd say Heat by 6-8. The Pacers' biggest weakness is their lack of depth; plus, they don't have a go-to scorer. When their offense gets stagnant they are VERY easy to defend.

When Miami began to double Hibbert ON THE CATCH, it really forced Indy out of their comfort zone. Hibbert is a terrible passer out of the post and their only safety net was to make that pass to the high post ... which the Heat jumped on a few times if you remember correctly.

I've gotta disagree with Hibbert being a terrible passer. However I agree with most of what you are saying.

Legend
Legend
This Pacers game is why I want guys who can score on their own. We might not see it now, but Dion is going to step up in a way that a guy like Harrison Barnes can't. You need more than one guy who can just "make the difficult play." When your scoring is dictated by getting an open look, that's going to get shut down and exploited versus a good defensive team. Great offense beats great defense. Dion is going to step up in a playoff series and take pressure off of Kyrie someday.

Legend
Legend
Man, what a strong game by the Pacers.

I also have to say ... what a weak game by Wade and Bosh.

Wade has 10 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist ........ and Bosh goes 1-8 from the field for 5 points, and 4 rebounds.

Wow, the Pacers defense just locked down everyone except James. They made the Heat look like the players the Cavaliers had back when James was here.

Let's go Pacers. I would love to see a Pacers/Spurs final. That would be a great series, with 2 fundamentally sound teams.

Legend
Legend
Something major that has stood out to me, damn I wish the Lakers had their crap together. You think Hibbert and West is destroying them? Imagine Miami trying to guard Gasol and Howard. Those two would have humiliated the Miami midgets.

Legend
Legend
j/c

Well I was wrong ... again haha. The Pacers actually left some points on the floor and still won pretty easily. I will say that Wade/Bosh looked AWFUL. This team has almost turned into the LeBron led Cavs teams ... and I can't believe I'm saying that about the "Big 3". Remember when they were all considered equal?? Yeah, that seems absurd now.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Bosh has 22 rebounds TOTAL in this series. I love this, I guarantee Popovich is drawing up the blue print to beat Miami from watching Indiana. Duncan is watching Hibbert and West.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Whoever is facing the Spurs will have a hell of a time. I'd say they're the best coached team in the history of the NBA. Pop is on another level that the Zen Master never even reached.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Settle down....

The Zen Master has more rings than fingers. Phil's quite possibly the best leader of men in NBA coaching history.

I really hope the Pacers can go down to Miami and put it on them. It'd be great to see the Heat down 15 with 4 minutes left to go and the "fans" of that team start to vacate the building.

(EXCLAIMER) Nothing from a sporting perspective happens like I want it to. In fact God laughs at my petty pleas and usually smites me good.

Miami by 30

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Settle down....

The Zen Master has more rings than fingers. Phil's quite possibly the best leader of men in NBA coaching history.

I really hope the Pacers can go down to Miami and put it on them. It'd be great to see the Heat down 15 with 4 minutes left to go and the "fans" of that team start to vacate the building.

(EXCLAIMER) Nothing from a sporting perspective happens like I want it to. In fact God laughs at my petty pleas and usually smites me good.

Miami by 30

Phil also had MJ and Kobe and Shaq for two/three different runs. Phil's a mad man, but he's also had exceptional talent that wasn't there in San. Antonio.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's been blessed with the best talent a coach could have. But he molded that talent and made them champions.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Settle down....

Miami by 30

Phil also had MJ and Kobe and Shaq for two/three different runs. Phil's a mad man, but he's also had exceptional talent that wasn't there in San. Antonio.

Yeah Duncan stinks

And currently pop has 4 rings... Jackson has 11 as a coach and 2 as a player

I do think that Jackson had better talent, but th spurs have ad some great talent as well - Robinson was there for two of those rings and Duncan is one of the best big men

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I didn't realize Pekovic was that big. I knew was a beast, I just don't he was part grizzly bear. 290 is huge.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Is Pekovic realistic to pry away from Minnesota as a RFA? Because I'd like the idea of having him to give the Cavs one of the most solid front courts in the league.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
S
Legend
Legend
S
This series is why people think Lebron may be coming to Cleveland.

Does anyone see a future with this Miami club?

Dwyane Wade is worthless. Chris Bosh isn't worth his contract. Allen, Miller, Battier, Lewis, etc... Aren't guys you want going forward. They're all looking at their primes in the rear view mirror.

Lebron is opting out, and Lebron is probably leaving, and right now the Cavs have the most potential of possible suitors in 2014.

Irving, Waiters, Thompson. A slew of other young players. 3 first round draft picks, and BOATLOADS of cap space.

The Miami Heat are getting pushed around by a team that the Lebron Cavs would have put down. Truth.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

The Miami Heat are getting pushed around by a team that the Lebron Cavs would have put down. Truth.

Hibbert would have eaten the LeBron Cavs alive.

Who was going to contain him ... Z? Andy?

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think he would have been the difference. He's been good, but he's not doing what Howard did to us in 2009.

For all the love the Pacer are getting, they were flat out horrible in the second half. How does Miami not jump all over them?

Legend
Legend
They weren't horrible the 3rd quarter, only that first 2/3 of the 4th quarter. Indy plays VERY good defense and can control the paint against the Heat. That is why they have tied it.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Settle down....

Miami by 30

Yeah Duncan stinks

And currently pop has 4 rings... Jackson has 11 as a coach and 2 as a player

I do think that Jackson had better talent, but th spurs have ad some great talent as well - Robinson was there for two of those rings and Duncan is one of the best big men

Duncan is and will be the best #4 to ever play the game and the best player since Jordan. However, he still isn't Jordan and he never put up points like Kobe. Robinson was also not up to MJ's status and maybe even Kobe (Hard to compare a 5 and a 2 obviously). Is it really crazy to say that Phil had much more talent on his teams than Pop? It's not like Pop's teams were awful, in fact they were really amazing, but Phil's were just so much more than everyone else's during any time period.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Pacers have a historically great defense and have figured out how to score on offense. There is a 0% chance the LeBron Cavs would have beat them.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think he would have been the difference. He's been good, but he's not doing what Howard did to us in 2009.

Dwight Howard vs. Cavaliers, 2009 ECF:

25.8 PPG, 13 RPG, 1.1 BPG, 38.5 MPG

Roy Hibbert vs. Heat, 2013 ECF:

22.8 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 1.1 BPG, 33.1 MPG

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Pacers have a historically great defense and have figured out how to score on offense. There is a 0% chance the LeBron Cavs would have beat them.

This needs to be restated, remember how tough the Celtics defense used to be? This Pacers defense is a LOT tougher because freaking everyone can defend for them and they have MUCH better shot blocking.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you happen to have their assist totals? It seemed like Dwight either dunked it or kicked the ball out to a 3 point shooter. The problem defending Dwight was that he was too strong for Andy and too quick for Z.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you happen to have their assist totals? It seemed like Dwight either dunked it or kicked the ball out to a 3 point shooter. The problem defending Dwight was that he was too strong for Andy and too quick for Z.

Fair point.

Howard, 2009: 2.8 APG

Hibbert, 2013: 0.8 APG

That said, I still think this Pacers would've been a really bad matchup for the LeBron Cavs.

Moving off that ... man, I love watching LeBron James play. I still root for him to lose, but the anger isn't there anymore. He's just so much fun to watch, whether he's dominating or wilting.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fair point.

Howard, 2009: 2.8 APG

Hibbert, 2013: 0.8 APG

That said, I still think this Pacers would've been a really bad matchup for the LeBron Cavs.

Moving off that ... man, I love watching LeBron James play. I still root for him to lose, but the anger isn't there anymore. He's just so much fun to watch, whether he's dominating or wilting.

True on both of those points. Th initial sting with LeBron is over, and his freakish talents are extremely captivating, however it's much more amusing to see Nate Robinson block him than it is to see him do a dunk.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs, NBA Playoffs, and the Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard