Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#792628 06/04/13 04:50 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

David "Deacon" Jones, the original sackmaster, has died.

The Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word sack for how he knocked down quarterbacks, was 74. The Washington Redskins said that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California on Monday night.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was a cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.

Jones was the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome unit from 1961-71 and then played for San Diego for two seasons before finishing his career with the Redskins in 1974. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980 and made the league's 75th anniversary all-time squad.

"Deacon Jones has been the most inspirational person in my football career," said former teammate and fellow Hall of Famer Jack Youngblood.

Jones made the Pro Bowl every year from 1964-70 and played in eight overall. He combined with fellow Hall of Famer Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier and Lamar Lundy on a defensive line that at times was unblockable.

Deacon Jones link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A 14th rd pick; "famous" for his head slap move. That was one heck of a front four...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Grier and Lundy are still alive but Olson passed in 2010 and now Jones. What a line. wow

RIP Deacon

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
A sad day for the NFL

RIP Deacon.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
RIP Deacon Jones. He helped to make the NFL what it is today, with a mix of skill and personality.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

A 14th rd pick; "famous" for his head slap move...

He was an equal rights pioneer too.

RIP Deacon.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 06/04/13 09:50 AM.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
I always thought he was a great ambassador for the league. Always showed up on all those NFL shows to talk about the era he played in.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Monikers like "The Fearsome Foursome" brings back a lot of memories. I'm sure there's more than a few of us who watched the game back then.

Just watched (within the last 6 months?) a documentary/show/? on the Fearsome Foursome. Not sure if it was on a "30 for 30", "A Football Life", etc, etc but was terrific.

RIP Deacon Jones

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Sad day indeed. RIP Deacon.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Monikers like "The Fearsome Foursome" brings back a lot of memories. I'm sure there's more than a few of us who watched the game back then.

Just watched (within the last 6 months?) a documentary/show/? on the Fearsome Foursome. Not sure if it was on a "30 for 30", "A Football Life", etc, etc but was terrific.

RIP Deacon Jones

Yeah i saw that too... excellent stuff.

I watch a lot of these shows on the old time players and I look at so many of them and I do not think they could play in the game today or if they did not be nearly as succesfull... that does not hold true for DJ, he could stud out even today... imo

RIP. We lost a great ambassador.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

RIP Deacon Jones

Yeah i saw that too... excellent stuff.

I watch a lot of these shows on the old time players and I look at so many of them and I do not think they could play in the game today or if they did not be nearly as succesfull... that does not hold true for DJ, he could stud out even today... imo

RIP. We lost a great ambassador.

Not sure. I think if they consumed yesteryears foods, nutritional products, etc, today and were given yesteryears medical treatment and drugs today, and went through yesteryears workout regiments today, etc, then yes, they'd be wayway outmanned/outgunned/unsuccessfull.

But imo if they were born around 1990, give or take, and had all of the ingredients (nutritional, medical, etc) todays athletes have then yes, to get down to the final 53, many wouldn't make it but manymany would.

They were products of their environment and what was avail to them just as todays athletes are.

The the 254lb Conrad Dobler back then would be 310lbs on a scale and still a 1000lbs on a mans a** today.

jmho

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Deacon Jones Dead at 74

Link Copied to Clipboard