Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#793052 06/18/13 08:26 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://cle.scout.com/2/1300291.html

Anyone who watched the Browns last season noticed the lack of holes rookie Trent Richardson had to run through.

5 Comments

For all the additions and subtractions made to the Cleveland Browns this offseason, one thing has remained the same: Owen Marecic.

Yup, he’s still on the team and he still the team’s only fullback.

I’ll allow a few moments for you to remove your palm from your face.

On June 10, the Baltimore Ravens released fullback Vonta Leach. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Leach was the top-ranked fullback in the NFL last season and the NFL’s best lead blocker for the second consecutive season.

No coincidence, Ray Rice has rushed for 2,507 yards and 21 touchdowns on 548 carries the last two seasons.

There was a fleeting hope that Leach, 31, would join the Browns, but it came crashing down about 24 hours later in a report by the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“The Browns have no interest in signing (Leach),” the report said.

Two things. One, the Browns don’t seem too concerned with upgrading the fullback position. Two, the Browns seem OK with the performance of Marecic.

I’ll allow a few moments for your palm to reacquaint with your face.

Yes, the common idea nowadays is the fullback is an antique relic in the NFL. The game has passed that position by.

Or has it?

Adrian Peterson rushed for a league-high 2,097 yards last season followed by Alfred Morris (1,613) and Marshawn Lynch (1,590). All three leading rushers had fullbacks leading the way by create massive holes.

In Minnesota, Jerome Felton was a big reason Peterson threatened the single-season rushing record. Last March, the Vikings locked up Felton with a new three-year deal.

“I make life a little easier on him,” Felton told Fox Sports North last December. “Definitely a lot of pride in that.”

In Washington, Darrell Young opened holes for the rookie Morris, who rushed for more than 1,600 yards and 13 touchdowns including 87 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries in a 38-21 win over the Browns on Dec. 16, 2012.

Last March, the Redskins signed Young to a three-year extension.

In Seattle, Michael Robinson was named to the NFC Pro Bowl team after Lynch set a career high in rushing yards.

One is an exception.

Three, four with Leach, is a pattern.

In Cleveland, the Browns have a talented running back who has the potential to put up numbers similar to Peterson, Morris, Lynch and Rice.

Anyone who watched the Browns last season noticed the lack of holes rookie Trent Richardson had to run through. Still, he managed 950 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns.

The last time the Browns had a 1,000-yard rusher, Jamal Lewis, Cleveland’s backfield also featured one of the league’s best fullbacks in Lawrence Vickers.

Meanwhile, since Marecic arrived in Cleveland in 2011, he’s been a major disappointment from his inability to create holes for the Browns’ backs to his dropped passes.

Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner is no stranger to the importance of a great fullback. In 2007, Turner’s first year as San Diego Chargers head coach, Lorenzo Neal led LaDainian Tomlinson to 1,474 yards rushing.

The previous season, Neal ushered Tomlinson to his career-best 1,815 yards rushing.

For a couple years, everyone clamored for the Browns to upgrade the wide receiving corps even without a top-notch quarterback. Now, the Browns have a top-notch running back and the need for an elite fullback is greater than ever.

If the Browns want to get the full potential out of Richardson, the time is now for the team to hire a capable NFL fullback.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was really hoping we would sign Leach once I heard the news of him getting cut. I think Maracic stinks and Leach is a dominant blocker. He would really help.

I am not really buying into the reporter's contention that TRich's problems were all because of the FB, though. He danced too much. Wasn't very decisive at times. A good FB would have helped, but TRich needs to clean up his own game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...the time is now for the team to hire a capable NFL fullback.

If the coaching staff believed a top notch FB was an integral part of their offensive plan, I'm sure they would have pressed their case for one. Or do they believe OM is the man for the job. Perhaps Banner is not interested because VL is over 30...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 06/18/13 08:55 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Leach's agent was looking for $4 mil why the Ravens let him go.

I would be very disappointed if we spent 4 mil on a FB.

I think with Davis TE we will see him as our H-Back blocking???

Owen??? If he starts catching the ball the way he was suppose to coming to us from Stanford. From all reports I read is that he has worked hard with our Strength n Conditioning guy so I would like to see how that effects his blocking. Blocking is a state of mind...maybe being a little small for NFL had a little back in the mind negativity. If his Body is ready to punish n his mind set is also. He can be just fine. FB is probably one of the most common accessible positions in the NFL.

Any kid who works on that body n becomes an animal in blocking can get a spot!

JMHO Hated Owen of 2012 n 2011...but willing to see what he can bring with his NEW BODY in 2013! Key is him catching everything instead of dropping everything!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think OB is going to be our FB and I am happy for him and the Browns. He is the best back we have in blitz pickup. He is willing to hit anyone and everyone. He has good hands as a receiver and he is just your throwback type player. I am excited to see him fill that position.

Rookie
Rookie
Good point. Never thought of OB as a FB. We shall see.

Here we go again
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I would be very disappointed if we spent 4 mil on a FB.

Seriously?

We have $30M in cap room.

I don't care if we pay him $6M. We could use an All-Pro at any position. Particularly one where we currently have a terrible player penciled in as a starter.

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Smelly will lead us to the promised land....

E
Legend
Legend
E
Um yeah I'm serious...what makes you think I wouldn't be. Just cause it doesn't align with your thought process you view my Opinion as a JOKE??? Meanwhile there we were distinctly TALKING TO LEACH's AGENT as was reported n then stating that we have -0- ZERO ZIP ZILCH Interest. Ummm yeah I'm serious and that is actually exactly the mentality of Lombardi n Banner.

Actually I will sort of repeat...it is pretty FOOLISH of a GM to spend 4 mil on a FB you better be in your SB Challenge year n that is a big piece missing. All other scenario is a Bad Move.

Not hard to figure out but if you need a long winded explanation I can give it too you.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I love the arm chair capologists.

They'd rather have $30M in cap room with a joke a FB then have $26M in cap room with an all pro at FB.

The people who fancy themselves to be GMs do make me chuckle.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's beyond me why Maricic is still here. the only thing I can think of is, he's somehow/some way has shown Chud and Turner that he can do what they want him to do in their system (hard to imagine) or they have someone else in mind to take that spot. I have no idea who that might be.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Nah...the funny part HELD is you are the MADDEN GM playing with a Cap.

I'm telling you how it is...for the simple fact WE DID NOT EVEN CONSIDER SIGNING HIM when his AGENT contacted us. But I'm the joke of GM wannabee whilst you are right on the money...lol

Its your Madden mentality that we got to SPEND SPEND and see no wrong in it.

While my comments actually were the reality OF WHAT WE CHOSE TO DO...you go n claim that I'm propping myself as some Wannabee GM meanwhile all I did was state exactly how it was n I agree with Lombardi while you are the one propping yourself up as the GM to go against the grain and spend 4mil on a FB to a team no where ready to make a SB run...yeah brilliant

What you Madden guys totally ignore is the ramification of future negotiations. How are we going to sit down in serious LONG TERM NEGOTIATIONS w/Mack, Haden, Ward, Sheard, Greco

When we put down 4 mil on a FB??? But go on and insult me...meanwhile you are so off base and out of touch with the realities of the CAP. So I don't feel bad at all cause Ozzie n Lombardi sort of agree with me...but I'm trying to be a pretend GM I observing the facts n agreeing with them...while your opinion fits perfectly with Madden BS stuff where there is not future implications in the decision process. Just a guess but probably 30 out of 32 GMs would not sign a 4 mil. FB.

Apologies for being correct I guess

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Marecic is here so that the new coaching staff can get a first hand look at him. That's it. He doesn't cost us much at all to look at.If he works out, great. If not, then we cut him. If we cut him, then we will probably pick up a FB who gets cut in the final roster cut downs, if we want one. It's entirely possible that the team will decide that they like Ogbonnaya in that role. He is a capable runner, and a very good blocker and receiver.

That also could be why we brought Jackson back. If Ogbonnaya moves to more of a lead back role, then we have an additional opening for a RB. (potentially, based on the final numbers) He could be competition for such a spot on the roster.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It mystifies me why there are Browns fans that accept a team with subpar talent coupled with the most cap room in the league.

Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Marecic is here so that the new coaching staff can get a first hand look at him. That's it. He doesn't cost us much at all to look at.If he works out, great. If not, then we cut him. If we cut him, then we will probably pick up a FB who gets cut in the final roster cut downs, if we want one. It's entirely possible that the team will decide that they like Ogbonnaya in that role. He is a capable runner, and a very good blocker and receiver.

That also could be why we brought Jackson back. If Ogbonnaya moves to more of a lead back role, then we have an additional opening for a RB. (potentially, based on the final numbers) He could be competition for such a spot on the roster.

I didn't think Obi was big or tough enough to play Full Back, but I guess if he's got a mean streak, 6 ft 225lbs can work.

I always thought a bigger guy was needed as a FB. Neal was 5'11" and 255, Vickers was 6 ft 250lbs. so on paper, Obi is too small, but if he plays with a big heart and with an attitude, I guess it could work.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
On the Obg thought...I remember in the Perkins offense they use to have a 218 FB I think with the Jets who if you look back at it was ahead of the curve n it is what teams try to do now...I think the FB was Anderson???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Cause the key to dynasty type football is to keep the talent that Rise from the youth...We are at that stage. Almost all our good talent has been drafted and they are just starting to make a name for themselves. FA teams...right back at you...why would a Browns fan want us to try n upgrade multiple starters on both side of the ball all in the name of Cap Space available only to have to Tear it down a year or so later...aka our 2003 Browns being 20 mil over the cap n us starting all over again.

I get it Held...He is one of the top FBs in the NFL but the position is not one we hold in high regard. I think they wish to go more 2 TE rather than FB. And on passing downs ONE RB who can CATCH n pick up the Blitz...again in that case Ogb might be a better talent than Leach???

JMHO...all I know is Ozzie didn't think he was worth the Cap space (I know they were more in need of space) and one of the first people Leach's agent contacted was said to be Lombardi n we let it be known we had no desire to pursue. Its not fans accepting in this case - it is the real GMs n probably the coaches of our team who did not value Leach as a big Talent upgrade for the team.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Since letting Vickers walk there has been an opening and a needed spot filled at the FB position. I'm not sure I can handle seeing Owen there and I wasn't all that happy when Smith was blocking either...

E
Legend
Legend
E
I loved Vickers but for me it was cutting Clutts (I think that was his name) that was the big error. Smith, I remember Smith coming up was the Pass catching TE...I think he did what he did cause he wants a JOB not really a great blocker. This guy Davis is BLOCKER in the true sense of the word. That is why I mentioned him for the Two TE H-Back role.

Marecic...I with you all. Just curious on the NEW BODY. Blocking is not a difficult task. There is not much "Special SKILL SET" needed. Its a frame of mind and at 230something I don't think Marecic was in the frame of mind to block. Now if he comes to camp close to 250 and feels like he can punish. So be it. I really think we are making too much out of the FB position. Did Marecic underwhelm the last two seasons...most definitely to the point he wasn't getting reps with Shurmur.

If he hasn't improved as mentioned not a difficult task to do so...we will surely cut him n if a FB position is a need bring any UDFA or Cut guys into our Roster.

Teams to watch the Turk is teams running the new pistol stuff who rarely will go in an I Formation.

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah Clutts went to Chicago and we got stuck with Owen =[

Not sure how or why, but yep he may not have been THE solution, but surely was better than what we had in stock...

Legend
Legend
I don't understand why Smelley isn't getting a shot. At least he can catch the ball. Neither guy blocks that well. Is he just really dumb or something?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
i dont think owen has the size to be a full back in the nfl. he seems weak and doesnt seem to move anyone when he hits them......i dunno.....maybe he dedicated himself in the off season and got bigger

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe Smelley will get a shot. I think stories about Marecic get a lot of people reading, mainly because nobody thinks he is any good. Writers want people to talk about their stories. And here we are. Smelley is still on the team, and IMO has just as much chance of starting as Marecic. But in a quiet period in the year, noting that the player nobody likes is still on the team, will get people to read. Heck , many don't even know who Smelley is.

I agree with others though. I think the TE will be the FB, and OB will be the second back in thew backfield. He does block very well, and catches good too. A few years ago, we had no RB's, now IMO we are stacked with talent in the backfield. I believe with good run blocking TR, Hardesty., and OB could all have a good year. Hardesty got his speed back, and OB has some burst. Combine that with TR, and things look good.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Nobody thinks he is any good, because maybe they have watched him play. Have you?

Not to mention, he's dropped every pass thrown to him if my memory serves me. Can't move people, can't open up any run lanes, barely can pass block and can't catch the ball... that's a recipe for poop IMO. Gotta earn your respect and he hasn't earned nothing but on special teams.

Legend
Legend
With all due respect Owen your Mom is a sweetheart, BUT if you don't improve 100 percent you shouldn't be on the team this year bro :-(

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Nobody thinks he is any good...

Obviously somebody does, for he's been here for 2 regimes and he hasn't been cut...yet.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Nobody thinks he is any good, because maybe they have watched him play. Have you?

Why you asking if I watched him? Did you even read what I wrote. Nowhere did I even suggest he is good. Just that writers write stories to get reactions.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't understand why we can't just pick up some UDFA fullback to replace him. We've had guys like Tyler Clutts over the years who looked considerably better.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Owen Marecic is my most dis-liked Browns player of all time.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't understand why we can't just pick up some UDFA fullback to replace him. We've had guys like Tyler Clutts over the years who looked considerably better.

And if he looks bad in training camp, we might go that route.

I don't think that FB is a vital position to Norv or to Chud. I think that we could see more 2 TE, and less FB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Maybe the "Plan" is for a new OLIne configuration to carry the load more often this season. I STILL miss Vickers, and a better run blocking scheme might pay off with less dependence on the FB, so Marycic is not a concern much at all. He will be forced to produce to stay. Ne better be better and figure out how to catch.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I don't quite get why people are so bent about Marecic. He was a 4th round pick. 4th round. If he's on the team as a ST player, and making SOME kind of contribution, great! 4th rounder. I'll say it again because some people forget, 4th round pick.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

because he is in Houston?

the sad part is Chitown was able to get enough value out of him that they traded him for a CB

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Has Turner switched his philosophy in the last couple of years? That's a legit question, not a sarcastic one.

I do know that he had Lorenzo Neal in SD and Moose in Dallas. Those guys were important to the success of LT and Emmit.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why's that, did he wewe on your Wheaties?

He's not my favorite player "on the field" but disliking him seems a bit harsh. he actually sounds like a pretty good guy..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Norv used a lot more 2 te sets the last few years and less of the FB. I would imagine a lot of that was the fact that the OL has been horrid since McNeil retired. There is also the fact that the Chargers have been playing from behind and had to use more receivers and less run.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Norv with a touch of Chud covet more versatility with 2 TE offense. Also the kid from Carolina is enough of a blocker n supposedly has the hands (when Davis is pretty much strictly a blocker but looks like another OT) Where Turner used his FBs in the passing game as checkdowns. But there is more YAC from an athletic TE than from a FB. Again why the Ogb suggestion is intriguing but a TE will be more of a miss match to a LB. I think Norv is changing his play book to the present Miss Matches of the NFL.

I noticed Marecic was listed as 245...I thought he looked more like 230 last year on the field.

Smelley is a good football player I hope we keep him. Specs n Dynamics he just is too short n slow for TE n too tall n light for FB. Also he is the type of player that does not show up well at practice...but when it comes to play a Game of Football. A gamer, unfortunately those guys need an injury or something for them to get the chance n then they call it "OVER ACHIEVE"

On that line Marecic is more than likely super cerebral. Gets the play book. Impresses the coaches in shorts. But so far come game day...what they call an "UNDER ACHIEVER"

All I know is that it was reported he was working hard with the new Strength n Conditioning Coach from day one - So I envision some Eastern Bloc Olympian Body... I Will Crush You! So as I said its not a hard position to master. If he becomes a little more explosive in his blocks n starts to catch everything...probably an asset. If not - plenty of fish in that SEA!

Clutts...Heckert brought both here. So I think it was a coaches choice in the cut Clutts. As mentioned I truly think Marecic is a Practice Player Extraordinaire. So he outshines - Will he Change his play on the field? Will he Under Achieve??? Hopefully if its the later we don't hold on too long.

Doesn't hurt us not having a 4th rounder make it. Still probably one of Heckert's worst picks only cause of the position. UDFA's are great so when you use a draft pick 4th round you would ASSume the FB will be an ALL PRO. If again if that is Heckert's worst...why the new regime has a Good Foundation to succeed!

JMHO

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

really?

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1050780/an/0/page/0#Post1050780

D
Legend
Legend
D
I did, I took the "he has as equally a chance at starting as Smelley" as a "he still has potential and is a good player to start".

Just incorrect mindset is all when reading... I was going to say he hasn't done anything to prove he is a starting FB quality material.

... and yes he's survived two regimes without being cut. But let's not forget even Rat Shurmur benched him and Pat is well known for playing people though maybe should be riding the bench, and benching the people who maybe should have been granted more play time. Also he makes good contributions on special teams.

If he gets cut, it'll be of absolutely no shock to me.

Legend
Legend
You're probably right, BT. Could just be some hornet's nest shaking by the writer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Job Wanted: Fullback

Link Copied to Clipboard