Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It happens every fall. A player bursts onto the scene, makes a big play or helps his team win a pivotal game, and the collective football world celebrates his arrival as a true difference maker in the NFL. Let's get ahead of the curve! In advance of the 2013 season, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks identifies candidates for significant improvement, concentrating on quarterbacks below.

Most Improved Quarterback for 2013: Brandon Weeden
Weeden's backstory: The Cleveland Browns drafted Weeden with the 22nd selection in the 2012 NFL Draft, hoping to solve the team's long-term woes at quarterback. Entering the NFL at age 28 -- thanks to a five-year stint in professional baseball -- Weeden was expected to step in and immediately contribute, while adding much-needed leadership and guidance in the huddle. Additionally, the Oklahoma State product's big arm was supposed to add a vertical element to the Browns' aerial attack, resulting in more explosive plays and points.

In hindsight, former head coach Pat Shurmur's dink-and-dunk offense didn't play to Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower. And the inexperience permeating Cleveland's receiving corps led to several miscues in key moments. Factor in the difficult transition from college to the pro game, and it's not surprising Weeden struggled to live up to lofty expectations as a rookie.

Why he will improve in 2013: New head coach Rob Chudzinski and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will make Weeden a vastly improved player in his sophomore campaign. Each brings a distinguished track record of success developing young quarterbacks in a scheme originally derived from the Don Coryell/Ernie Zampese system.

Chudzinski, who served as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator before returning to his former employer in Cleveland, helped Cam Newton become the first rookie to pass for 4,000 yards in 2011. In his first two NFL seasons, Newton guided an offense that ranked sixth in completions of 20-plus yards in both 2011 and 2012. However, Chudzinski's work with Newton pales in comparison to his masterful job of transforming Derek Anderson into a Pro Bowl quarterback as the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2007. Prominently targeting Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow in the vertical-based passing game, Anderson threw for 3,787 yards with 29 touchdown passes (and 19 interceptions), leading the Browns to their only 10-win season since 1994.

Turner has also developed an esteemed reputation as a quarterback guru, having worked with a bevy of notable signal-callers, including Troy Aikman and most recently Philip Rivers. Under Turner's guidance, Rivers became just the fifth quarterback in NFL history to pass for 4,500-plus yards in back-to-back seasons (2010 and '11). In addition, Turner has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times. A productive ground attack sets up a dangerous play-action passing game that typically results in several big plays on the perimeter.

Given Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower, the marriage with a pair of vertical-pass proponents should yield big results for the Browns. Chudzinski and Turner will craft game plans that routinely feature deep shots off an assortment of play-action fakes designed to lure linebackers and safeties to the line, while exploiting single coverage on talented young receivers Josh Gordon and Greg Little. With Trent Richardson likely commanding eight-man fronts due to Cleveland's increased commitment to the running game, Weeden should be able to make more vertical throws like the one highlighted in the video just above.

Factor in the invaluable experience gained from Weeden's 15-game stint as a rookie starter -- he missed the season finale with a spained right shoulder -- and the second-year man will not only thrive in a system conducive to his talents, but he will silence the critics questioning his potential as a franchise quarterback.

Impact on the team: The Browns will be very competitive in the AFC North, with Weeden, Richardson and Gordon emerging as a formidable offensive trio. It will not be enough to make a playoff push, but a .500 season is a realistic possibility in 2013.

Projected 2013 stat line: 59.5 completion percentage, 3,950 passing yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions.

Other Quarterbacks to Watch
Brooks: Fins up!
Bucky Brooks provides three reasons why Miami's offense will be one of the NFL's most explosive units in the 2013 campaign. More ...
Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: The second-year pro came on like gangbusters for the Dolphins down the stretch in 2012, displaying an enticing combination of athleticism and arm talent. While his numbers didn't jump off the stat sheet, Tannehill's efficiency and decisiveness led to better play over the final six games. With a set of marquee free agents (Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and Brandon Gibson) upgrading the offensive lineup, Tannehill could direct one of the NFL's most potent offenses in 2013.

Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings: Critics took Ponder to task a season ago for his inconsistent play, but a closer look at the All-22 footage reveals a player who performed much better than most believed. Ponder compiled an 81.2 passer rating, while completing 62.1 percent of his passes with an 18:12 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Most impressively, he posted those totals despite losing his top target (Percy Harvin) in the middle of the season. Given an experienced No. 1 receiver (prized free-agent acquisition Greg Jennings) and a dynamic playmaker to target on the perimeter (rookie Cordarrelle Patterson), Ponder should take another step forward in his development.

Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans: Locker is considered a bit of a disappointment following an inconsistent 2012 campaign, when he connected on just 56.4 percent of his throws and tossed more picks (11) than touchdowns (10) in 11 starts. Those numbers should improve dramatically with a new offensive scheme and an improved supporting cast, particularly along the offensive line. Mike Munchak's renewed commitment to the run will create bigger passing lanes downfield on play-action fakes, reducing Locker's accuracy woes and resulting in more explosive plays in the passing game.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

nfl.com

D
Legend
Legend
D

I hope he's right though. If Weeden going to succeed at all, it'll be in this offense cause it caters to his strength. Shotgun, deep balls, etc etc.

We'll see if he chokes again or not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would have to agree with Weeden and Tannehill being the 2 i expect the most improvement out of. Weeden for the new scheme with Chud and Norv and Tannehill for another year of exp at QB and vastly improved receivers.

I think the Dolphins will win the AFC east. I have the Bengals winning the North but I think the Browns will compete for a wildcard.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 06/26/13 11:41 PM.
Legend
Legend
From the article:

"Impact on the team: The Browns will be very competitive in the AFC North, with Weeden, Richardson and Gordon emerging as a formidable offensive trio. It will not be enough to make a playoff push, but a .500 season is a realistic possibility in 2013."

I agree: 8 & 8

Legend
Legend
Any thing better than 6-10 would be appreciated.

I think (like usual) it all depends on how we come out week one.

Miami has more expectations than us, based on their FA spending and a huge Draft trade.

If we can come out and punch them in the mouth, it'll build from there.

Weeden vs Tannehill. I think who plays better wins that game. And that team is fighting for a Wild Card spot towards the end of the year.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

It happens every fall. A player bursts onto the scene, makes a big play or helps his team win a pivotal game, and the collective football world celebrates his arrival as a true difference maker in the NFL. Let's get ahead of the curve! In advance of the 2013 season, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks identifies candidates for significant improvement, concentrating on quarterbacks below.

Weeden's backstory: The Cleveland Browns drafted Weeden with the 22nd selection in the 2012 NFL Draft, hoping to solve the team's long-term woes at quarterback. Entering the NFL at age 28 -- thanks to a five-year stint in professional baseball -- Weeden was expected to step in and immediately contribute, while adding much-needed leadership and guidance in the huddle. Additionally, the Oklahoma State product's big arm was supposed to add a vertical element to the Browns' aerial attack, resulting in more explosive plays and points.

In hindsight, former head coach Pat Shurmur's dink-and-dunk offense didn't play to Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower. And the inexperience permeating Cleveland's receiving corps led to several miscues in key moments. Factor in the difficult transition from college to the pro game, and it's not surprising Weeden struggled to live up to lofty expectations as a rookie.

Why he will improve in 2013: New head coach Rob Chudzinski and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner will make Weeden a vastly improved player in his sophomore campaign. Each brings a distinguished track record of success developing young quarterbacks in a scheme originally derived from the Don Coryell/Ernie Zampese system.

Chudzinski, who served as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator before returning to his former employer in Cleveland, helped Cam Newton become the first rookie to pass for 4,000 yards in 2011. In his first two NFL seasons, Newton guided an offense that ranked sixth in completions of 20-plus yards in both 2011 and 2012. However, Chudzinski's work with Newton pales in comparison to his masterful job of transforming Derek Anderson into a Pro Bowl quarterback as the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2007. Prominently targeting Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow in the vertical-based passing game, Anderson threw for 3,787 yards with 29 touchdown passes (and 19 interceptions), leading the Browns to their only 10-win season since 1994.

Turner has also developed an esteemed reputation as a quarterback guru, having worked with a bevy of notable signal-callers, including Troy Aikman and most recently Philip Rivers. Under Turner's guidance, Rivers became just the fifth quarterback in NFL history to pass for 4,500-plus yards in back-to-back seasons (2010 and '11). In addition, Turner has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times. A productive ground attack sets up a dangerous play-action passing game that typically results in several big plays on the perimeter.

Given Weeden's strengths as a deep-ball thrower, the marriage with a pair of vertical-pass proponents should yield big results for the Browns. Chudzinski and Turner will craft game plans that routinely feature deep shots off an assortment of play-action fakes designed to lure linebackers and safeties to the line, while exploiting single coverage on talented young receivers Josh Gordon and Greg Little. With Trent Richardson likely commanding eight-man fronts due to Cleveland's increased commitment to the running game, Weeden should be able to make more vertical throws like the one highlighted in the video just above.

Factor in the invaluable experience gained from Weeden's 15-game stint as a rookie starter -- he missed the season finale with a spained right shoulder -- and the second-year man will not only thrive in a system conducive to his talents, but he will silence the critics questioning his potential as a franchise quarterback.

Impact on the team: The Browns will be very competitive in the AFC North, with Weeden, Richardson and Gordon emerging as a formidable offensive trio. It will not be enough to make a playoff push, but a .500 season is a realistic possibility in 2013.

Projected 2013 stat line: 59.5 completion percentage, 3,950 passing yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions.

Bucky Brooks provides three reasons why Miami's offense will be one of the NFL's most explosive units in the 2013 campaign. More ...
Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: The second-year pro came on like gangbusters for the Dolphins down the stretch in 2012, displaying an enticing combination of athleticism and arm talent. While his numbers didn't jump off the stat sheet, Tannehill's efficiency and decisiveness led to better play over the final six games. With a set of marquee free agents (Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and Brandon Gibson) upgrading the offensive lineup, Tannehill could direct one of the NFL's most potent offenses in 2013.

Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings: Critics took Ponder to task a season ago for his inconsistent play, but a closer look at the All-22 footage reveals a player who performed much better than most believed. Ponder compiled an 81.2 passer rating, while completing 62.1 percent of his passes with an 18:12 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Most impressively, he posted those totals despite losing his top target (Percy Harvin) in the middle of the season. Given an experienced No. 1 receiver (prized free-agent acquisition Greg Jennings) and a dynamic playmaker to target on the perimeter (rookie Cordarrelle Patterson), Ponder should take another step forward in his development.

Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans: Locker is considered a bit of a disappointment following an inconsistent 2012 campaign, when he connected on just 56.4 percent of his throws and tossed more picks (11) than touchdowns (10) in 11 starts. Those numbers should improve dramatically with a new offensive scheme and an improved supporting cast, particularly along the offensive line. Mike Munchak's renewed commitment to the run will create bigger passing lanes downfield on play-action fakes, reducing Locker's accuracy woes and resulting in more explosive plays in the passing game.

nfl.com

Perhaps Bucky B has been reading these message boards?

It's what many of us on here have been preaching as well.

Hey Buck................ever hear of a term called plagarism?

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm all for optimism!

That said, I sure hope Weeden avoids all sports related media.....

Legend
Legend
I would love to see us above .500. If Weeds is to get better and "emerge", then this OO scheme, Chud, and Norv ought to make that happen. Wild Card a maybe.

1) Do not put him on the Madden game cover. Top of the "Not to do" list!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In the AFC right now I would have to say
Miami 11-5, Bengals 11-5, Texans 12-4 Broncos 14-2

Wildcard spots is where the parity really kicks in. Pats, Colts, Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Titans and Chiefs will all be in that 8-10 win range and its really going to make the afc record the deciding factor.

Pats OL was slipping last year and Welker, Hernadez and Grunk were the safety vales. I would say total collapse but hey as long as they have Brady they are gonna compete.

Ravens lost their leaders and coming off that super bowl high, I think wildcard is the most they can hope for.

Steelers lost Wallace and that OL just isnt getting better and the defense is getting older and older.

Titans love what they have done and even though Locker isn't great, they have built a solid team around him.

Colts road that emotional high last year and Bruce Arians was a huge part of their success.l I think they are up and coming but a tough division.

Chiefs have talent and now they have Andy. I put them in there out of respect for the HC mostly.

Browns similar to the Chiefs its coaching change factor plus we were a hair away in a lot of games last year and coaching decisions cost us at the very least 3 or 4 wins last year. We are talking understanding down and distance, failing to exploit obvious weakness in a teams defense. I really felt many of our recent draft picks were a much better fit for the new systems.

No Gordon in those first 2 games could spell disaster in confidence but at least we have time to prepare for it.

Legend
Legend
Wow, you sure are sold on the Dolphins.

They do not have an easy schedule.

Code:

2013 Schedule

Sep 8 @Cleveland 1:00 pm
Sep 15 @Indianapolis 1:00 pm
Sep 22 Atlanta 4:05 pm
Sep 30 @New Orleans 8:40 pm
Oct 6 Baltimore 1:00 pm
Week 6 BYE
Oct 20 Buffalo 1:00 pm
Oct 27 @New England 1:00 pm
Oct 31 Cincinnati 8:25 pm
Nov 11 @Tampa Bay 8:40 pm
Nov 17 San Diego 1:00 pm
Nov 24 Carolina 1:00 pm
Dec 1 @N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm
Dec 8 @Pittsburgh 1:00 pm
Dec 15 New England 1:00 pm
Dec 22 @Buffalo 1:00 pm
Dec 29 N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm

They play the AFCN and the NFCS. Those are 2 strong divisions. They went out to buy players to try to buy a championship, which rarely works. There are still (in my mind) questions about their QB spot.

I see a 6-8 win team at best. Their RB position has potential, but little experience. They have question marks at TE. Those are 2 vital spots for the QB, especially in protection.

Miami's defense should be pretty good though ...... I just don't see their offense as being all that tremendous, outside of their starting receivers.

One thing I just noticed when looking at the Dolphins. In a passing league, 3 teams with hot young QBs actually threw the ball a lot less than I though.

We threw the ball 566 times last year. The Seahawks threw only 405 times. The Skins threw only 442 times, and the Niners threw only 436 times. That's kinda weird. They were the 3 teams with the fewest pass attempts last year. They really brought their QBs along quite carefully. All 3 of those QBs can run as well.

The Dolphins threw the ball 504 times, overall.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seahawks, Skins and 49ers all had QBs that ran often so that skews those stats a bit but they did have strong run games.

For me the big ?? with the Phins is their OL. I like a lot of the moves they made but I really dont trust their OL just yet. I actually like their schedule. Starts out tough but after the bye, they should matchup pretty well with most everyone.

Also part of my optimism with the Phins is the fact that I think the Jets are ready to blow up completely, the Bills are probably gonna end up going with Manual and he isnt ready, The Pats have just gone from Superbowl contender to possibly a playoff contender. I really like the defense they have down there as well, those guys can get after it.

Legend
Legend
I'd really like to win that first game against the Dolphins.. Mostly because of all the off seasons moves they made..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Logically on paper its seems like a perfect scenario of success to be coming. Of course as Browns fans it makes us wince to even think it let alone predict it. Man I sure hope 2 + 2 = 4 for us!!!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
I'd really like to win that first game against the Dolphins.. Mostly because it'd be nice to win the game

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'd just like to start a season 1-0.

When is the last time that happened anyway? 2004?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd just like to start a season 1-0.

When is the last time that happened anyway? 2004?

The ONLY time it has happened since The Return is the year we opened by playing the Ravens.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Given that he is probably the QB with the most room to improve, it isn't surprising that he's picked to be Most Improved.

He severely underperformed last year on top of not getting much in the way of help from coaches and teammates.

Better coaches, more savvy teammates, and a year of experience all point toward him making big strides this year -- or being shown the door quickly as a complete bust.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Sigh...

No system will curb a QBs inability to make accurate passes, better decisions, and be more decisive instead of holding onto the ball for an eternity. Those thinking Chud's system is the holy grail for Weeden are going to be disappointed. He could improve but he won't look too much better than last year.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Glass half empty?

I say he will be improved. As in no WAY he does worse.

But even if he's good. .500, winning record, or even wildcard, I say the brass gets THEIR guy in the draft next year.

Hopefully Weeden succeeds and remains for the new guy to sit & learn behind...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But even if he's good.... I say the brass gets THEIR guy in the draft next year.

You could very well be right, but if not next year, then it must be soon. Even if BW becomes a Top 10 QB, he would have maybe 4-6 seasons left in him. Two or three seasons for the newbie QB to pick up the system (and to recover from having to give up two or three 1st rounders to move up in the draft), the timing would seem about right...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

But even if he's good.... I say the brass gets THEIR guy in the draft next year.

You could very well be right, but if not next year, then it must be soon. Even if BW becomes a Top 10 QB, he would have maybe 4-6 seasons left in him. Two or three seasons for the newbie QB to pick up the system (and to recover from having to give up two or three 1st rounders to move up in the draft), the timing would seem about right...

Agreed, but..............Ughh

I literally go into convulsions at the thought of giving up even 1 let alone 2 or 3 1st rounders. I'm "convulsing" right now, as I type.

If Weeds ever went into the "Top 10" Qbs I would think the wins would mount as well and the 1st rounders become lower value, hence giving up more??? Did STL think the Redskins, at the time of the trade, would jump that much in the standings the next year, lowering their trade booty value?

Wash gave up the 6th overall in 2012s draft(5-11 record) to move up to #2(a 1st for a 1st, 4 spots lower), and gave up the #22 overall in 2013s draft(spot unknown at trade time), and barring another RG3 injury this year, as a guess probably somewhere from #22 to 26 next year??? They also gave up a #2....oy vey, more/worsening convulsions.

Not worth researching but what did the 49ers give up for Kaepernick? The Seahawks for Wilson? My guess, prolly nothin. Imo they/we gotta find someone now.....as in next year, 2nd round, and if Weeds improves this year/next year, park the new kid till he's good to go?

Next year "We Gotta Get That Guy"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw.......Lombardi did find Jamarcus Russell!!! No doubt with a slight nudge from Al D.

jmho

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I literally go into convulsions at the thought of giving up even 1 let alone 2 or 3 1st rounders.

I am of the same opinion, but how often did H&H get ripped for not selling the farm in order to get RGIII? Weeden, by comparison, was virtually a freebie (thanks Atlanta). I know, I know (!!!), Weeden is no RGIII as yet...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
"Most Improved for 2013 - Brandon Weeden heads quarterbacks."

It's a nice thought.

I certainly hope he is the most improved QB of 2013, but as a fellow long-suffering Browns fan? Talk is cheap. Ya know?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Weeden Compares How Exciting the Offense is Under Chudzinski vs. Shurmur

leveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden joined the Hooligans on ESPN 850 for about 5-6 minutes Friday afternoon. For most of the interview, Weeden talked about the golf outing that he was participating in, and some of the things that he does during the dead portion of the offseason. You can listen to the entire interview here. Toward the end of the interview, the Hooligans threw in a question about Weeden's anticipation for training camp.

Hooligans: "You've got about 3-4 weeks to go until training camp. You've had the OTAs and the minicamp. Is there anything that's just strikingly different from the guys coaching you now and the guys coaching you last year?"

Weeden: "I think that there's just a little bit different attitude. I don't know if its positive one way or another. It's just a different feel. Speaking offensively, guys coming to work are excited about what we have installed that day. What routes we're running, what plays we have designed on that day. It's fun to go out on the field and compete against our defense. Our defense was playing extremely well. I think everybody's just -- after last year, I think everybody had a sour taste in their mouth. We're really amped up and ready to get going this year, especially with all of the changes we had. I think there's just a lot of excitement. The players are excited, we're excited to go, throwing the helmet and the pads on and starting to compete."

---

As you can see, Weeden is excited about the offense this year. That prompted the Hooligans to ask Weeden to concisely compare his excitement of the offense in 2012 vs. the offense in 2013. Weeden could have taken the safe road and just said something generic like, "they are both good in their own ways, but I like what we're doing." Instead, he went right for the jugular of Pat Shurmur's offense, so-to-speak, but rating his offense extremely low and Rob Chudzinski's offense extremely high:

---

Hooligans: "Give me an answer in one number. Your level of excitement on a scale of 1-10 with the offense you played last year."

Weeden: "3"

Hooligans: "Your level of excitement with the offense you're going to play this year."

Weeden: "12"

A 12? That sounds good, right? It also means that Weeden had better deliver -- if he feels this offense is great for him, he'll have no excuses if the offense isn't producing.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/6/28/4...r-chudzinski-vs

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope its true. If athletic ability has anything to do with it, Weeden has a good shot. We know he was a minor league pitcher, and a talented college QB. But I heard him speak on the radio yesterday, and he said he shot 73 at a course called Sand Ridge - the show host said its a pretty challenging course, and here's Weeden saying he was one over par there. He went on to say that he rarely shoots over 80, and that he was a walk-on that made the Oklahoma St golf team, without ever having had a lesson in golf - totally self-taught. Its not particularly appropriate to this discussion, I know, but I thought it was interesting and borderline remarkable that one guy could be that accomplished in three sports.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He should be excited. Solid group of backs, fantstic OL, Little looked like he finally took that big receiver step last year and Gordon and Nelson have freakish talent but major questions with both, and he also has an offense that is basically tailor made for him.

Many act like Weeden had a horrible year, which is far from the case. Weeden had a good year for a very good year for a rookie QB. RG3 and Luck were special players and had fantastic years. Weeden broke Browns rookie records in a system I felt he would be a total disaster in.

He may suck this year but he does have everything going his way right now and he does have skills. He is just old lol.

Legend
Legend

Improvement? He who is last has the most to gain.

Every rookie player who makes a team in any capacity should improve in their second year.

In reading this article and many comments on the Board about Weeden everyone seems to believe that the "new offense" will make Weeden better.

Weeden has to make Weeden better. His problems from last year were all about timing and decision making.

In order for the Browns to improve from last year; Weeden has to get better in those areas.

Weeden should be better. If he is not he will not be a Brown for long.

In regards to Josh Gordon, he needs to mature and now. He is skating on thin ice. I sure hope he gets his act together. It would be a crime to see that talent wasted. However, it would not be the first time.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

leveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden joined the Hooligans on ESPN 850 for about 5-6 minutes Friday afternoon. For most of the interview, Weeden talked about the golf outing that he was participating in, and some of the things that he does during the dead portion of the offseason.

Did any of those things happen to consist of working out w/his WRs? Breaking down games in the film room? Spending a lot of time w/the playbook? Dude's a phony.

Quote:

I don't know if its positive one way or another.

Positive one way or another???? What a genius!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Hooligans: "Give me an answer in one number. Your level of excitement on a scale of 1-10 with the offense you played last year."

I love it when players toss their old coach under the bus. Such high character our "strong armed, young, and accurate" QB has.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I love it when players toss their old coach under the bus. Such high character our "strong armed, young, and accurate" QB has.

He didn't throw anyone under the bus. He simply did not enjoy the offense he had to run last year. This offense better suits his skills and abilities, and allows him to do more of what he likes to do. Nothing wrong with saying so when asked.

I think that we all know that Weeden, for example, prefers being in the shotgun. He was in the shotgun less than almost any other QB in the NFL last season. Why wouldn't he be excited to be back in an offense that allows him to operate as he is comfortable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heckert is da devil, Weeden is da Devil, Shurmur is da Devil. Holmgren is da Devil.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 06/29/13 11:30 PM.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Heckert is da devil, Weeden is da Devil, Shurmur is da Devil. Holmgren is da Devil.

Everything is the devil to you momma!

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
wow, I can't believe that some of you guys are blaming everyone around weeden for his short commings last year. I happen to think it was because of the cement in his shoes, his overthrown passes, his underthrown passes, the int's. but most of all it the way he locks onto just one receiver. you can't blame the players around his for his weaknesses.

D
Legend
Legend
D
To a long extent, you're dead on and 100% right. But on the other hand, you're wrong. How many times has Weeden actually thrown a "catchable" ball that was dropped? How could ANY qb excel in Pat Shurmur's offensive scheme, or should I say, lack thereof? His WCO is and was crap, no other way of putting it.

It's two-way with a rookie QB. He needs the help to improve but the things (the fundamentals) - Weeden also showed inability to improve so that is why I agree with you in that aspect. A lot of people were to blame, but Weeden should get most of it.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

nfl.com

Perhaps Bucky B has been reading these message boards?

It's what many of us on here have been preaching as well.

Hey Buck................ever hear of a term called plagarism?

Weeden in the wrong system was the same song we sung all year last year. I can't believe that it took a whole season's worth of material for an NFL analyst to see that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Nice post. You had to edit that masterpiece, huh? You guys have a very strong tendency to make fun of people you don't agree with. It's an effective technique because it draws attention away from the topic at hand at puts the spotlight on the poster you are picking on. Effective, but gutless.

Sorry to upset you, but I think it is a concern that we never hear about Weeden putting in the extra time. He talks a lot, but does he do the work? It's amazing that a proven guy like Peyton Manning will put in extra work, but a rookie who struggled will not. Instead, he puts the blame on the previous offense.

Now, go get some of your friends and you can all post one line insults right in a row. That will win the debate, for sure.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Nice post. You had to edit that masterpiece, huh?

I'm sorry but too funny man...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Weeden in the wrong system was the same song we sung all year last year. I can't believe that it took a whole season's worth of material for an NFL analyst to see that.

I wonder why they drafted him, then? That is the system The Big Show wanted. Heckert wanted it. They thought it was far superior to Mangini's offense.

I remember all the talk [from the guys who are now putting ALL the blame on Shurmur] of how much better McCoy would be because he was going to be playing in an imaginative offense after being trapped in a prehistoric offense. I also remember those same posters saying how much Colt would grow under the tutelage of the expert eyes of Holmgren and Shurmur.

McCoy was going to be so, so much better because of a better system [that fit his strengths] and better coaching. Hmmmmm, that sounds familiar somehow. Have we heard those same sentiments recently?

Which brings me back to Weeden and the two offenses. Why draft a guy in the first round when he doesn't fit your system? Why would the immortal tandem of Holmgren and Heckert draft a guy who was so ill-suited to their system of choice? I mean---these two geniuses have never made a mistake in their lives. They are the greatest.

Wish someone could explain that one to me.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The "Big Show" is da devil...Heckert is da devil... Weeden is da Devil...Shurmur is da Devil...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers first off I rib everyone and I will take just as many shots at myself as anyone else. My edit was because I was trying to add the waterboy youtube video, fooseball is the devil. I thought it was funny cause of all your grumpy old man posts about the last regime.

I felt the same way about Mangina.

He wasnt perfect, hated the Weeden and Trich picks even though I did like Richardson. No way Weeden fit the west coast scheme. Senior bowl week, taking a snap from under center he was watching his feet as he dropped back, instead of looking downfield.

Anyway, you can light your bonfire, grab your pitchfork and continue to march around in circles yelling that all thing Holmgren and Heckert are the devil. If you get tired of blindly praising everything Banner and cursing everything Holmgren, I will be more than happy to talk football with you. Until then good day sir and I will refrain from making any jokes in the future that involve you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Most Improved for 2013 - Brandon Weeden heads quarterbacks

Link Copied to Clipboard