Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Opening up a new thread for draft day as the other is over the limit.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
What's everyone's gut feeling this morning?

My money says Noel.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
I feel we are going to make at least 2 trades today.

I think Noel seems to be what we'd do at #1.
I think KCP would be a great fit and a potential target if we trade-down (before Minny at #9).

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Same.

It seems like they're asking for too much in a trade. Which is fine with me, don't trade it just to trade because it's a weak draft.

Legend
Legend
Honestly I am have come to accept Grant goes against conventional wisdom. I think he will take Alex Len and I won't be happy about it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Honestly I am have come to accept Grant goes against conventional wisdom. I think he will take Alex Len and I won't be happy about it.

Not necessarily true ... he goes against conventional wisdom, but he sticks pretty close to "Saber-metric" wisdom. While TT and Waiters weren't rated quite as high in mocks ... they were much higher rated in saber-metrical analyses. Len doesn't really meet that criteria.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Not necessarily true ... he goes against conventional wisdom, but he sticks pretty close to "Saber-metric" wisdom. While TT and Waiters weren't rated quite as high in mocks ... they were much higher rated in saber-metrical analyses. Len doesn't really meet that criteria.

I saw a stat on Len that he had the worst steal rate for big men. From what I've seen and read his big board based on stats should look like:

1. Nerlens
2. Otto
3. Oladipo

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
also realize that he has admitted in the past that he factors the athleticism highly with the stats. I don't think Otto grades out well enough on those.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If I had to bet, I'd say that we take McLemore. He is a scorer, and could be the 3rd Guard quite easily. When Irving rests, Waiters could slide to PG, and McLemore could come in. He could stay at SG when Waiters rests, and Irving comes back in.

McLemore is a scorer, and this team needs scoring. I think that he is the pick if we stay at #1.

I think that we'll try to move up to grab Sergey Karasev, probably around 13 in a trade with the Mavs. We can give them back assets that they can use to stash players without burdening their cap.

Maybe we don't get a big out of this draft. However, who knows what Chris Grant will do. lol If I had to out money on it though, those 2 players would be my pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm in the Porter camp, but haven't paid too much attention the last few weeks.

I'm hearing Len a lot today from friends. I'm not sure how happy I'd be with that. Not a fan of Noel being the pick. I'd be ok with McElmore. I certainly wouldn't mind Dieng with the 2nd pick. Though as I said, I haven't paid that much attention lately...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I've been all over the map on NN, but I've come back around on him. I'm in favor of him, I'd say Len is the guy I would want the least, but in this draft I have no clue. Weirdest draft in a long time to me. I hope this isn't on par with the 2000 draft.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
Give me Porter, Oladipo, McLemore, Burke, Len, etc. before Noel.

If I had to make a pick I would take Porter for the Cavs. My 2nd option would be McLemore.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

Anyone who is a fan of Len, did you even watch Maryland this year?

Tell me one thing he's great at.

I'll give you a hint, the answer is nothing.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
one thing would be treating Noel like he was his personal whipping post

(but, no fair, it was his first game, and on and on)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Top, I'll trust your opinion. Should the Cavs draft Noel? Is he going to be better than Porter/McLemore? Are you concerned at all about his unpolished offensive game?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Top, I'll trust your opinion. Should the Cavs draft Noel? Is he going to be better than Porter/McLemore? Are you concerned at all about his unpolished offensive game?

I think Noel would be fine, as long as our other young guys continue to develop. Dion and Kyrie can score, Tristan is coming along... I don't think scoring will be put too much on Noel's shoulders. I think they want him more for defense, rebounding, and put-backs. I think the fit would be very good. I just worry about the knee, but the kid is 18 years old. Not enough of a worry for me to pass, I think he's our guy tonight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Am I concerned about his offensive game? Absolutely, I think you'd be crazy to not be concerned.

But, I also think is offensive struggles are a bit exaggerated. He's not great on the offensive end, but he's not Ben Wallace, either.

The Knicks gave Tyson Chandler a $58 million dollar contract to be a defensive force.

If you think Noel can give you Tyson Chandler production, 10 and 10 every night while being a defensive force, which I think he absolutely will be that type of guy .. Isn't he worth the #1 pick in such a weak draft?

I don't think my "We should take Noel" opinion is so much that I think Noel is going to be a Hall of Famer or anything like that, as much as it's there's no one else to take and I feel comfortable with Noel at least being a Tyson Chandler type, more if his offensive game improves.

Legend
Legend
How well does Brooklyn do with a lineup like this?

Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Brook Lopez

That would be older and slower than the Lakers, but nasty in half court.

Legend
Legend
The thing that worries me about Noel, more than anything else, is this:

He is bean pole skinny, and has had multiple lower leg injuries. He will need to get to, at least, 240-245# in order to be any kind of low post presence in the NBA. What does that extra 25-40# do to his body. What does it do to his speed/quickness? Is he the same player if he develops his body into one that can actually play in the NBA in the post?

I am back to the safest pick ..... and for me that's either McLemore, or Porter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I've been saying all along that Noel pretty much has to be the pick, barring setbacks on the knee, other grave concerns with the medical report/projections, or a good enough trade offer.

I will be disappointed if the Cavs don't walk out of this draft with a superstar, Noel, or an unprotected 2014 1st round pick from a lottery team (along with other assets)

So, Noel.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I will be disappointed if the Cavs don't walk out of this draft with a superstar, Noel, or an unprotected 2014 1st round pick from a lottery team (along with other assets)

I have no idea which lottery team would be stupid enough to trade an unprotected 2014 pick for *anything* in this year's draft.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea which lottery team would be stupid enough to trade an unprotected 2014 pick for *anything* in this year's draft.

That is hard to see happening.

I hope that Charlotte is dumb enough to trade the #4 and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist for the #1 overall. (as was rumored once) I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

The thing that worries me about Noel, more than anything else, is this:

He is bean pole skinny, and has had multiple lower leg injuries. He will need to get to, at least, 240-245# in order to be any kind of low post presence in the NBA. What does that extra 25-40# do to his body. What does it do to his speed/quickness? Is he the same player if he develops his body into one that can actually play in the NBA in the post?

I am back to the safest pick ..... and for me that's either McLemore, or Porter.

It's definitely a concern. Thing is though he still just barely turned 19 years old, and he is basically a teenage superfreak athlete with unheard of defensive instincts. There just isn't really aren't many comparisons here. I also think his offensive game is a tad underrated. He at least has good handles for a big man and ability to finish with both hands. I read somewhere he has been working on his jump shot a lot and there is precedent for players returning from an ACL injury actually improving their shot because that is one of the few basketball related skills you can work on early in the recovery.

Also the NBA seems to be going a little smaller and faster. There aren't any Shaqs in the league. He will probably always struggle a bit with the Howards and Hibberts of the league but will excel against the quicker, leaner bigs out there like Bosh and Duncan. He is also quick enough to defend on the perimeter.

I'm also a fan of Porter but just don't see the impact player that I do in Noel. Remember defense is half the game, and three of the final four teams had elite defensive bigs in Gasol, Hibbert, and Duncan. Heck pretty much every team to win titles that didn't have Jordan or Lebron had at least 1 great rim protector.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

I obviously wasn't predicting that to happen.

Legend
Legend
Ah, I missed the "So Noel" part

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I probably could have been a little more clear on that. However, I don't blame GMs (or the Cavs specifically) for overvaluing their pick too much, as there have been several reports that they are doing. It's not like they are obligated to make a trade, or to go along with the consensus that the top pick doesn't have much value just because it isn't as good as it was the last couple years, or probably will be next year. I happen to think that the Cavs are in a great spot, have a couple really nice prospects who will fit the team really well, and if they want to shop it around while demanding too much, more power to them. It is probably what I would be doing too.

Last edited by hasugopher; 06/27/13 02:24 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The Knicks gave Tyson Chandler a $58 million dollar contract to be a defensive force.

The Knicks also have a pair of players who, if they wanted to, could combine for 55-60 points a night. They don't need scoring the way the Cavs need scoring.

Legend
Legend
Pretty nice Youtube Channel that shows good and bad of players.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I would hate to see a boy {age 19} turn into a man at age [23] and a man on the court.

Legend
Legend
I have to wake up at 4am to watch the draft.

So I'm just hoping something awesome happens within the first hour or so.

Whatever that is.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not saying that this would be my pick but if we do not trade the 1st overall pick I think we take Anthony Bennett UNLV. Just my guess.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think Porter will be a very good pro and it'd make plenty of sense for the Cavs to take him. I see him as a rich mans Kawhi Leonard.

But I like to be entertained watching basketball.

Noel is a joy to watch. Runs like a gazelle. Has super quick hops. Blocks tons of shots. Steals tons of balls. DUNKS!

I mean who doesn't want to watch that every night?!?

A no look pass from Kyrie to Noel "wham with the right hand!"

Seriously.

Don't overthink this Cavs. Draft Noel.

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

I see him as a rich mans Kawhi Leonard.

he doesn't have the length and athleticism as a Kawhi. I think he's more like a Pierce if we want to give him a high-end comparison (I don't think he'll get that good though).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I mean who doesn't want to watch that every night?!?

Me. I prefer watching winning, which is what you won't get with guys that project to give you 10 points a game when you have nobody who scores.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Alex Len looks to be the pick from everything I've read.

A little blue bird said if the pick is anyone other than Len, it's part of a trade.

Legend
Legend
Yeah I read what Sherridan said.

*sigh*

My teams suck at drafting

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope he's wrong but probably not.

Legend
Legend
I'm making my final decision

I'd choose Ben Mclemore, but the Cavs will choose Alex Len.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
In honor of the draft, I present my favorite Cavs youtube clip:

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs, NBA Draft, Trades and Free Agency

Link Copied to Clipboard