Next Thread
Print Thread
#796612 07/02/13 06:04 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Recently bought a 1986 regal royale 250xl from an old guy who couldn't keep it up anymore. Got a great deal on it and mechanically its pretty sound. just some basic cleaning stuff needs done. Some of the teak is gray and weathered and teak cleaner don't seem to do much, and the carpet could use cleaning. It is already in the water. Anyone have something they recommend for the teak? and as far as the carpet, could i hose it down and scrub with some simple green? and then use a shop vac to suck any extra water out? or would that go towards rotting the floor underneath.? Thanks!

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Lightly sand the teak, then perhaps a light colored stain... bring it back to life with Spar Varnish. The other option might be linseed oil.

Carpet... I don't know. I see no reason you couldn't rent a steam cleaner and bring it aboard..... or, pull it up and put new carpet down (hit a store up for remnants).

edit - I haven't done any marine work on small boats since '93, and haven't touched teak since '92, so my thoughts may be a little dated, but as a Bos'n Mate in the Navy, this is what we'd do for our smallcraft.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Thanks purp. As far as the sanding, orbital or hand? what grit?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Stain and varnish, it's been a long time, but yeah.

We used to just scrub the hell out of it rather than sanding.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Bust Out Another Thousand

Sand the teak and re-oil, replace the carpet. Cleaning shouldnt rot the floor. Its meant to get wet, just dont let the water stand. Clean then dry.

Legend
Legend
There is also something out there called Teak Oil. Not sure if it will work for you.. but I'd go to a marine supply store and see if they think it will help

If memory serves me correctly,, every boat I've owned had a marine grade Indoor/outdoor style carpet.

I'd think ripping the carpet out and replacing it wouldn't be expensive.. might be some hard work given that they are glued down.. again, if memory serves me correctly. I haven't owned a boat since 1980...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
congrats...The two happiest days in a boat owners life is the day they buy it and the day the sell it....LOL....Owned a boat for 20 years now, bass boat but still, they nickle and dime ya to death...but fun.

You've already been given good advice on the wood & Carpet, I'll just add...

The best thing you can do for a boat is give it plenty venilation...open rod lockers, glove compartments let it sit out side in the air, keeping a boat inside your garage locked up is safe but mosture is the boats worst enemy, rots out everything from wiring to rubber hoses to wood, carpet everything, so the best one can to is to let it sit out and dry or atleast park it somewhere where you can put fans on it or atleast keep air flowing threw & over it. keeping your boat dry & clean is a impossible task but if you try things will last longer.....Enjoy..

ClayM57 #796619 07/03/13 08:38 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

congrats...The two happiest days in a boat owners life is the day they buy it and the day the sell it....LOL....Owned a boat for 20 years now, bass boat but still, they nickle and dime ya to death...but fun.

You've already been given good advice on the wood & Carpet, I'll just add...

The best thing you can do for a boat is give it plenty venilation...open rod lockers, glove compartments let it sit out side in the air, keeping a boat inside your garage locked up is safe but mosture is the boats worst enemy, rots out everything from wiring to rubber hoses to wood, carpet everything, so the best one can to is to let it sit out and dry or atleast park it somewhere where you can put fans on it or atleast keep air flowing threw & over it. keeping your boat dry & clean is a impossible task but if you try things will last longer.....Enjoy..

Dang it anyhow!

You and Arps beat me to the 2 things I could add.

Bust Out Anouther Thousand.........

And ...........the 2 best days in a boat owners life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it............

My wife and I had a 26' Carver docked in Sandusky Bay for approx 12 years. We looked at it as being able to, if we wanted to, have a mini-vacation/getaway every weekend.

I'll always remember the day, whilst walleye fishing for a few hrs northwest of put-in-bay, the northwest sky looking "jet black". Hmmm.......Time to pack things up!!! Got the boat "up on plane" for a few minutes and then the Merc started screaming...full throttle. Spun the prop hub w/no spare prop. By the time Sandusky Bay Marine Towing got there I thought we were in the SS Minnow,

The tow was the most hellacious ride I've ever had. As I recall it took 3....3.5/4 hrs back(at 2-3 mph?) and in at least 6 footers with the rain coming down as hard as I've ever seen it come down. Luckily I had the ?plastic? tent thing(forget what it's called) on the back of the boat.

At times we coulda litterally reached out and grabbed lightning bolts!!!

I've always said that the next boat I get will be either a 44' Sundancer or an 18'- 19' bass boat, and nuttin in between.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

TTTDawg #796620 07/03/13 08:40 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Recently bought a 1986 regal royale 250xl from an old guy who couldn't keep it up anymore.

Did selling the boat solve his problem with keeping it up?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Damanshot #796622 07/03/13 09:52 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
yeah i used a one step cleaner/brightener and it seemed to make it look better when dry, but then after i used the teak oil on it, it went back to looking not so good. You guys that are saying sand, what type of sanding? with like an orbital sander and 80grit or fine grit and by hand?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

yeah i used a one step cleaner/brightener and it seemed to make it look better when dry, but then after i used the teak oil on it, it went back to looking not so good. You guys that are saying sand, what type of sanding? with like an orbital sander and 80grit or fine grit and by hand?

You might be able to buff it with a buffer and some rubbing compound. If not I'd use a fine paper and probably do it by hand. I suppose you could use a machine, but Im weird like that.

Arps #796624 07/03/13 06:59 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Teak is a dense wood and needs a fine grit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I use Teak Cleaner and scrub the heck out of it, then Brightener and let everything dry, then I oil it with Teak oil until it twon't take any more.It looks nice for awhile but the sun and water soon make it look crappy again. I'm talking Swim platform , for smaller pieces I just lightly sand and oil, Check West Marine, they can be a big help if you get a guy who knows what he's talking about,

Another tip is use toilet bowl cleaner on your scum line, Works better and cheaper than expensive cleaners,

Dawg Duty #796626 07/06/13 10:51 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
yeah i have spent a quite a bit of money at West Marine already this summer..lol, problem is at the one in sandusky its all women and 17 year old geeks that have no idea about anything..disappointing they don't have a more helpful staff given all the boating in the area.

Legend
Legend
B ust
O ut
A nother
T housand

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #796628 07/07/13 01:36 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

B ust
O ut
A nother
T housand

No kidding man. I live on a lake, but no longer have a boat. Been there, done that. IMO the dollar to pleasue quotient is extremely high....especially considering todays fuel costs.

Even a sail boat costs a ton. Sails rip and need repair. You go through a ton of line, and you still use fuel. Not many sail in and out of port. You are under power until maybe 1/4 mile out and maybe up to 2 miles on the way in ( on a lake like Erie). You have to be pretty darn skilled to get your tack angles right to get in much closer unless you want to dork around a hour to gain that last mile....expecially if the wind isn't in your favor.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #796629 07/07/13 01:45 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
yeah, i take the boat out fishing and an occasional day trip to the islands, i dont pull tubes or skiers with it..that would be too expensive and I'd have to be in that 4 barrel alot. But this weekend i went out and bought a 2013 sea doo rxt-x as 260 jet ski. Now you talk about fun..man I had a blast with that this weekend

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Boat Question

Link Copied to Clipboard