Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
j/c

I, as a loyal wearer of white socks, find the Chicago White Sox name/logo to be highly offensive. I feel the name makes light of the fact that I only sport white socks, and I'm tired of feeling this way. They need to either come up with a new nickname altogether or alter the current one (perhaps Multi-Colored Sox? Or Rainbow Sox ... oh wait, then the gay community would be up in arms).

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Delusional justification.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I, as a loyal wearer of white socks, find the Chicago White Sox name/logo to be highly offensive. I feel the name makes light of the fact that I only sport white socks, and I'm tired of feeling this way. They need to either come up with a new nickname altogether or alter the current one (perhaps Multi-Colored Sox? Or Rainbow Sox ... oh wait, then the gay community would be up in arms).

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that. If it's a pure joke, meh. If you're trying to prove a point, you missed. Jets, white socks, the color brown, a dolphin can't feel offended by being named after a sports team. It's not the same thing as a racial slur (assuming we believe it's a racial slur to begin with - if the 8% from above is correct*).

*even if only 8% believe it's offensive, isn't that enough? Sorry, what percentage would it have to be considered offensive? I'm not trying to ask a loaded question. If you could get an accurate vote on the term redskins, what percentage would make you think the name is not offensive, offensive or high enough to force the name change?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

Quote:

j/c Why not poll the native North Americans (I'm trying to be extra politically correct here) and see if they are offended by the name? And if not...

exactly

I completely agree here. My adopted 14 year old son is 95% Maya (native Central American) and isn't the slightest bit offended by "Redskin" or "Chief Wahoo"

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, if I am the ONE person who finds "White Sox" (or any other name offensive) should they be forced to change it? I guess my point is, where is the line?

As an person of Irish descent I could say that the Celtic mascot offends me and paints me in a demeaning way ... I just don't know at what point the line is drawn.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that. If it's a pure joke, meh. If you're trying to prove a point, you missed. Jets, white socks, the color brown, a dolphin can't feel offended by being named after a sports team. It's not the same thing as a racial slur (assuming we believe it's a racial slur to begin with - if the 8% from above is correct*).

*even if only 8% believe it's offensive, isn't that enough? Sorry, what percentage would it have to be considered offensive? I'm not trying to ask a loaded question. If you could get an accurate vote on the term redskins, what percentage would make you think the name is not offensive, offensive or high enough to force the name change?

If only 8% find it offensive, doesn't that mean 92% find it not offensive or don't care?

Seems to me the majority should rule, right? I mean, isn't the gay marriage poll something like 60% for, and 40% against? If 40% are against............does that mean anything? If 8% are against the name...........and that should rule, shouldn't the 40% against rule too?

Oh. No. It shouldn't.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, if I am the ONE person who finds "White Sox" (or any other name offensive) should they be forced to change it? I guess my point is, where is the line?

As an person of Irish descent I could say that the Celtic mascot offends me and paints me in a demeaning way ... I just don't know at what point the line is drawn.

Well, I guess that's the $64,000 question. What's the line?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

According to the PC police, if just 1 person finds something offensive, it must be changed or else they'll sue.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I should add, I've been offended by remarks made about religion - specifically Christianity. I don't believe I have asked or demanded that those that disagree be banned, or forbidden to state their beliefs or non beliefs.

If push comes to shove and Snyder re-names the redskins, I hope he re-names them the "white skins" It will be fun to hear the "masses" protest that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to the PC police, if just 1 person finds something offensive, it must be changed or else they'll sue.

And what the PC Police - and so many Americans today - fail to remember is that NOBODY has a right to NOT be offended.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I lean way more liberal and am still appauled at the rampant PC epidemic. It's ridiculous beyond belief. Everybody thinks they're obligated to some kind of utopian life w/ not one millisecond's worth of inconvenience. Boo hoo, this offends me. That offends me. Now they're GUESSING that others are offended by something and yap-yap-yapping about it.

Just call it the Washington Football Team, for all I care. Someone will still be offended by it.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Only sometimes. Remember how much hate Chappelle got when he had a sketch where he shot and killed a slave owner? He got a lot of flack for that one.

Really? I have to say I'm surprised at that.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
D
ddubia Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Churches can't display a nativity scene on their own property at Christmas time because a very small group of people take offense to it.

That same small group has reached so far as to have an effect on many retailers who decline even calling it "Christmas" for fear of reprisal.

I see this "Redskin" thing much the same way.

A very small group of people with nothing at stake in the matter pose the name as an offense and another, larger group jump aboard in the name of being "politically correct".

Meanwhile kids go without enough food, Wall Street ruins the economy without consequences, politicians vote themselves big pay raises while the country struggles for money, we are told lie after lie to cover-up government wrongdoing and on and on and on...

... and we focus on the nickname of an NFL team as though it had great negative effect for our future?!

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Churches can't display a nativity scene on their own property at Christmas time because a very small group of people take offense to it.

When did this happen?

Quote:

That same small group has reached so far as to have an effect on many retailers who decline even calling it "Christmas" for fear of reprisal.

I think it's more about mass appeal than anything.

If I were running a retailer, I'd opt for 'Happy Holidays'. If one wanted to emphasize 'Merry Christmas', there's a direct appeal in that, too.

Are we starting the whole 'War on Christmas' thing in July this year?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I am 25 percent Indian myself (I have no clue as to what Tribe) but I don't find the name Indians, or Redskins offensive in the least. I am also 25 percent German, and 25 percent Irish, and the other 25 percent God only knows as My grandfather grew up in an orphan and the orphanage burned down losing all records.

Exactly my point. Why do you get in a say in it when it's not your culture?

LMFAO Because it's in my blood. Because I'm an American. Can you say the same thing about yourself?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm not American, I'm 'MURICAN.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

*even if only 8% believe it's offensive, isn't that enough? Sorry, what percentage would it have to be considered offensive?

If your willing to make changes based on 8% of the peoples opinion be my guest. There is a term called "majority" for a reason, otherwise we'd all be British.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

There's a problem with "asking (insert indigenous group here)" if they are offended. Barely any of them have a significant amount of heritage in them, their culture is usually hanging on by a thread, and I doubt many would take them seriously as evidenced by the anti-pc brigade.

I have no problem with using imagery or names inspired by indigenous groups of America. But, these names and images must be used in a respectful way. I like how the Seminoles go about what they do. They have active input from Seminole leaders which give their approval and blessing. There's much ambiguity over the Redskin name, meaning, and the authenticity of the logo. The Blackhawks logo is much the same story. Both teams should become culturally competent by working on their logos with an indigenous tribe.

As for Wahoo...... Get rid of it. Replace him by doing the same proposed plan I listed with D.C. and Chicago. Wahoo is completely analogous to little black sambo. The only reason there isn't a big uproar about Wahoo is because there are only 1.5 million Native Americans remaining in the United States.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am 25 percent Indian myself (I have no clue as to what Tribe) but I don't find the name Indians, or Redskins offensive in the least. I am also 25 percent German, and 25 percent Irish, and the other 25 percent God only knows as My grandfather grew up in an orphan and the orphanage burned down losing all records.

LMFAO Because it's in my blood. Because I'm an American. Can you say the same thing about yourself?

Yes. Have you been involved with your tribe? Oh wait, you don't know what tribe you are. So, again, you're the person with 1/32 Cherokee blood that claims they have a say in it, despite no ties to their tribe.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. Have you been involved with your tribe? Oh wait, you don't know what tribe you are. So, again, you're the person with 1/32 Cherokee blood that claims they have a say in it, despite no ties to their tribe.

I don't get it.. I'm Italian,, if they wanted to name the a team The Washington Mob or Mafia or Guidos or whatever, I could care less.

Sometimes this PC Crap goes too freakin far.. Some folks gotta put on their big boy pants and shut up... Geez....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Washington " Guidos " .. What a marketing firm could do with that , and Jerzeys and hats , Wow !

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't get it.. I'm Italian,

Those two things go together a lot.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why does it matter? My grandpa was 100% Italian, but I don't know what part of Italy he was from. Does that mean my 25% is baseless because I don't know if I'm part Sicilian or whatever?

I'm some part NA too, but I don't which tribe either.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So what you are saying then is that a black person who doesn't wear traditional African clothes, eat the food, celebrate the holidays and can't tell you what city and country most of their ancestors are from should not call themselves African-Bmerican...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't get it.. I'm Italian,, if they wanted to name the a team The Washington Mob or Mafia or Guidos or whatever, I could care less.

Sometimes this PC Crap goes too freakin far.. Some folks gotta put on their big boy pants and shut up... Geez....

I knew you were a Dago!

We are all something....I am a Kraut on one side and mostly a Mick of the other....so I am a drunk with a bad attitude....add in some French Canadian , which became Cajun when run out of Canada and some Blackfoot Indian....my great great, or maybe just great married some full blooded squaw. Some in the family tried to hush that up.....me...I am kind of proud of it

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Some in the family tried to hush that up.....

The feather behind your ear kinda gave you away...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

At least it wasn't a feather in the cap to highlight the French in the Canadian.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At least it wasn't a feather in the cap to highlight the French in the Canadian.

Pardonnez-moi, monsieur...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I knew you were a Dago!

We are all something....I am a Kraut on one side and mostly a Mick of the other....so I am a drunk with a bad attitude....add in some French Canadian , which became Cajun when run out of Canada and some Blackfoot Indian....my great great, or maybe just great married some full blooded squaw. Some in the family tried to hush that up.....me...I am kind of proud of it

LOL, Reminds me of a line in the Godfather,, Listen my Kraut Mick friend, you better get Sonny to take my deal..... LOL Funny stuff there.

Seriously, I don't know about you or anyone else, but what's with all these hurt feelings all of a sudden. I mean come on, Grow up, grow some courage and quit worrying about stuff like a team name.

NOT ONE TIME IN MY LIFE did I ever look at Chief Wahoo and think negative thoughts about American Indians. Same with the old Tomahawk Chop for the Atlanta Braves (anyone remember that) Or when the Redskins are brought up.. NEVER ONCE in my life did it ever occur to me to think negative thoughts about native americans. NEVER ONCE.

Didn't even think about it until they all started complaining about Chief Wahoo etc.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't get it.. I'm Italian,

Those two things go together a lot.

Why yes, yes they do LOL

See that people, that's me throwing stones at my own house, taking a joke..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Washington " Guidos " .. What a marketing firm could do with that , and Jerzeys and hats , Wow !

Well, I thought about it, and washington mobsters would be perfect in so many ways.. LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

What I find hilarous about the PC crowd, is they never say anything about countless african Americans who everyday on TV and in comedy and other genres call whites rednecks hillbillies or crackers. You can go into stores and buy t-shirts that make a mockery of people who live in mobile homes, trailer trash they call them. I see nascar fans constantly referred to as dumb rednecks.

IMO you can take all the PC crap and shove it up there $#@. If I or anybody else uses a term to directly insult someone face to face, they should be reprimanded, but to allow and almost premote the mockery of many people just because they are not considered a "minority" is flat out hypocrisy.

I have friends of all races, they are people to me. Their skin color doesn't phase me. I find that what upsets most of them, is that they are considered in need of special treatment because of their race.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
JC..

Who wants to go with me to March on the NCAAP and UNCF offices to get them to rename their organizations, I think those terms are offensive to some segments of the population?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Quote:

So what you are saying then is that a black person who doesn't wear traditional African clothes, eat the food, celebrate the holidays and can't tell you what city and country most of their ancestors are from should not call themselves African-American...

You guys are getting off topic here. Remember the "N-word/Cracker" debate from last week? I wrote that what makes the difference between these two words is the actual or imagined oppression that is linked to each word. Blacks imagine or actually experience oppression through the "N-word" whereas "Cracker" is so far removed from any real or imagined oppression that whites just consider it a joke. The same logic applies here. The reason GMdawg's NA blood is irrelevant in deciding this issue is because there is nothing at stake for him. No matter what happens to these logos and names, there is zero possibility that GMdawg will be affected. That's why his opinion means nothing.

To DC's point, we aren't talking about what race or ethnicity you can identify with. GMdawg can call himself NA because some of his progenitors were NA and that is just fine. The real issue, though, is who has a legitimate say in how a race or ethnicity is represented. As far as representation is concerned. only those with something potentially at stake should be included in the decision process.

Now, I already posted about one survey that shows the vast majority of NAs are not offended by the term "redskin." The people who conducted the survey would not have contacted GMdawg to get his opinion on the matter because he is not Native American anymore than I am German. My ancestors might have come from Germany, but my German roots have nothing to do with my life. I suffer nothing from the representations of Germans--I am not affected one way or the other. So, if a survey was being done about how Germans feel about the over abundance of Hitler movies, I would not be expecting a call.

Does that answer your question Daman?

P
Legend
Legend
P
So what you are saying is you can only be a racist or consider any term as being racist if you're referring to a race has been downtrodden in some fashion, but everyone else is fair game?

For some reason that just doesn't make sense to me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

So what you are saying is you can only be a racist or consider any term as being racist if you're referring to a race has been downtrodden in some fashion, but everyone else is fair game?

If you base your opinion about a person or group on their race, and if that opinion is untrue, then you are a racist. So, you can be a racist regardless of whether or not the person or group to whom your racism applies actually suffers from, or is affected by, your racism. But when considering what to do about racist representations, it does matter how the person or group is affected. Only those who might be affected by a racist representation should have a say in how that representation is handled. When you write "fair game," you imply that every racial group is susceptible to the negative effects of racist representations. This is the false assumption I am challenging.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
To simplify, a black man can be a racist because he thinks whites are "crackers." But so what? Logically, his racist assumption is a false judgment; but practically, how does that impact white people in a negative way? I claim that the inverse of this situation, white racism projected onto blacks or NAs, is not identical. Does anyone think differently?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe what any race calls any other race has a direct impact on that person or race.

If you actually look at history, which is what I believe you are trying to use as your example, that almost every race has been used or downtrodden to some extent.

Irish immigrants when they started arriving here were shunned and degraded. My ancestors, Scott Irish were downtrodden and degraded. Actually still being called hillbillies, rednecks and other, what some consider degrading things.

While I do admit slavery is far worse than the things I have mentioned, at what point is that put in the past? At what point to people quit making an exception to race?

In my lifetime I've seen people keep changing their mind on what they wish to be called and expect society to bow to their wishes every time. From Negro, to black, to African American. And every time society has seemingly gone along with them to the most part.

And I have to ask, if we are all Americans, doesn't the exact same rights of free speech belong equally to all of its citizens? Why and how under our rights of free speech is it proper for one race to seemingly have free use of a word that the rest of society seemingly is far more than frowned upon for any other race to use?

It's that double standard in and of itself that bothers me more than anything else. I see no excuse for that. In our nation, there are no exceptions in regard to free speech based upon race. And I would feel if one race feels a word is so offensive, it would be themselves who would refrain from using it. Not try to flaunt it as though they have some special right to use the word while nobody else can.

In short, I find the entire thing a double standard and in no way representative of our nations right to free speech. Not saying the word is acceptable, but if it's a word that should not be said, it should not be said by nobody.

ie..... Paula dean loses her career over it, while many black comedians and rappers use the word in access in making their living.

You don't see a huge double standard there?
And if not, how do you uphold that the right to free speech be separated by race when it's clear that it is a right of ALL Americans?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Name will never change. Get over it.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

I don't believe what any race calls any other race has a direct impact on that person or race.

First thing to get clear is that I'm talking about representations in general, not simply racial slurs. Would you agree that at some point in history, the way a race was represented had a real impact on the life of members of that race? There are plenty of examples of this. Notable ones would be wartime propoganda of the 20th century and blackface minstrelsy. Now, what about our contemporary society? That's where things become less clear because we do not have the benefit of historical hindsight. But I don't think you can reasonably deny that racial representations have had negative effects historically, and so it is at least possible that they are having a negative effect in our present world. The trick is identifying them, which is exactly what the Annenberg survey was attempting to do.

Quote:

Irish immigrants when they started arriving here were shunned and degraded. My ancestors, Scott Irish were downtrodden and degraded. Actually still being called hillbillies, rednecks and other, what some consider degrading things.

The difference is that, at one point in history, your ancestors actually suffered something because of the way their race was represented by others. What do you suffer from it now? Maybe being called redneck would hurt your feelings, but do you actually experience a material loss, or is there any real, lasting, significant psychological damage done to you because you are called a redneck? Your ancestors suffered from such representations; I doubt you suffer at all.

I think we can say the same for blacks today. Surely they do not suffer from racist representations to the extent that their progenitors once did. Being called the "N-word" means a lot more when it is coming from a person who determines your material existence. Blacks don't have to worry about that as much as they once did. My only point is that, although the pattern is the same for blacks and Irish, blacks probably suffer more from how they are represented at present than the Irish do. By saying this, I'm not recommending any sort of policy to fix the disparity. I doubt public policy can do anything about it. I'm simply describing a difference as accurately as I can.

Quote:

While I do admit slavery is far worse than the things I have mentioned, at what point is that put in the past? At what point to people quit making an exception to race?

I guess the answer would be to look at the negative effects of racist representations. It might surprise you that I oppose the name change for the Redskins. How could that be considering everything I've said so far? I mean... to even point out that there might be effectual differences in how races are represented should automatically make me a PC liberal, right? Well, no, it doesn't. If 91 percent of Native Americans (real ones, unlike GMdawg) are not offended by the term, they must not be suffering anything by it. And so, there is no reason to even consider changing the representation. If those who have something at stake don't care because it's not affecting them negatively, then neither should anyone else.

Quote:

And I have to ask, if we are all Americans, doesn't the exact same rights of free speech belong equally to all of its citizens? Why and how under our rights of free speech is it proper for one race to seemingly have free use of a word that the rest of society seemingly is far more than frowned upon for any other race to use?

I don't see how this is a free speech issue. It won't be until a legislator tries to make the use of the word illegal. I also think the context for the use of the "N-word" matters. The word might be spelled the same, but the context in which it is used changes the meaning. So, no, I don't see a double standard because the "N-word" said by a black person and the "N-word" said by a white person might as well be two different words.

And now a message to the administrators of this board. Why do I still have to type "N-word" when having this discussion? As I was saying to Pit above, context matters. Your decision to put "." on the naughty list is perpetuating this decontextualized double standard notion that Pit is talking about. Please take the "N-word" off of the naughty list so we can discuss the word like adults.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Daniel Snyder and NFL Embarrassed as Washington Name Change Support Grows

Link Copied to Clipboard