|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
So we are looking at:
G Kyrie, Dion, Jack & Quinn G-F Miles, Karazev & Felix F Gee, Clark, Bennett & Jones F-C Tristan, Andy & Zeller C Bynum
I kind of wish we'd replace Quinn with a pure PG, but that lineup looks fine to me assuming nothing goes wrong with signing Bynum. This is Cleveland, so I am on edge until it's official.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,137
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,137 |
Those players give us a lot of flexibility to our lineup. We can dictate matchups going with a big lineup of Waiters, Karasev, Bennett, Varejao, Bynum or a small lineup of Irving, Waiters, Clark, Bennett, Thompson and multiple in-between lineups.
What I see as the biggest hole (being more specific than just saying small forward) is an outside shooter that we can rely upon to knock down open jumpers, especially the 3 pointer.
Procrastination is caused by the fear of success
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
Trying to find some information on Quinn's contract. Most things I've seen have this year as a team option.
Did we pick up his option for this upcoming season?
Either way, I wouldn't expect the guy to hang around, and if he does it will be at the end of the bench. I doubt his warm-ups come off outside of a blowout or some injuries.
Waiters could be a #3 PG option if push comes to shove. That could spread things a bit thin, but it would be a better option than Chris Quinn.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728 |
So I taped the Lakers / Cavs game and watched it yesterday night. Two things.... 1. Dion Waters is too cool for the Summer League. It's great that he's so good that he can just drift around, drive to the basket every once in a while and generally do nothing. 2. This Chris Quinn kid is interesting. Did he find the lucky program that gave him a chance to play minutes with a real NBA team? Pretty cool if that's what happened. He'll remember that for the rest of his life! 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
Quote:
2. This Chris Quinn kid is interesting. Did he find the lucky program that gave him a chance to play minutes with a real NBA team? Pretty cool if that's what happened. He'll remember that for the rest of his life!
Funny you say that. Whenever I see him play, I always say something along the lines of 'he looks like he won a contest'. 
I hate to rag on the kid, because by all accounts he seems like a good guy and a hard worker. But he's not really NBA material. I give him credit for hanging around the league as long as he has.
Thus far the most NBA notoriety he's gotten is when Shaq went to Phoenix and said something along the lines of 'It's good to play professional basketball again instead of being on the court with Chris Quinn and Ricky Davis'.
FYI - back when Quinn was a high school senior, he was second in Ohio's Mr. Basketball to You Know Who.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413 |
From the previous thread. Alpoe19: Quote:
I agree with you. Someone brought Joe Johnson, Amare, and Al Jefferson. Those are incredibly bad contracts. JUst because the money was given, doesn't mean the player deserves it. Teams just look at the present, and not 4 or 5 years down the road. Just look at Albert Pujols contact right now. Think the angels would want to redo that one? Anyone that signs wade to a max deal will regret it. Amare had 3 or 4 great seasons with the suns before he signed his max contract with the knicks. He even had 1 great season with the knicks. Many had questioned if his knees would hold up? The past 2 years hes played 76 games. He was 27 when he signed in new york. Wade doesn't have his bad knees, but he will be 32, and you would have to be really an idiot to think his body would hold up 3-4 yrs down the road, especially the way he looks for contact. He may get a max deal, but the team would be very shortsighted in my opinion.
Teams will always overpay for superstars. Dwyane Wade will re-sign with the Heat for a max deal. That doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
Quote:
So I taped the Lakers / Cavs game and watched it yesterday night.
Two things....
1. Dion Waters is too cool for the Summer League. It's great that he's so good that he can just drift around, drive to the basket every once in a while and generally do nothing.
2. This Chris Quinn kid is interesting. Did he find the lucky program that gave him a chance to play minutes with a real NBA team? Pretty cool if that's what happened. He'll remember that for the rest of his life!
Dion could get to the basket any time he wanted to if there was any spacing.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
Quote:
Quote:
So I taped the Lakers / Cavs game and watched it yesterday night.
Two things....
1. Dion Waters is too cool for the Summer League. It's great that he's so good that he can just drift around, drive to the basket every once in a while and generally do nothing.
2. This Chris Quinn kid is interesting. Did he find the lucky program that gave him a chance to play minutes with a real NBA team? Pretty cool if that's what happened. He'll remember that for the rest of his life!
Dion could get to the basket any time he wanted to if there was any spacing.
One thing about Summer League is that players tend to play selfish ball too. They try to do everything they can to stuff their stat sheet .... and it leads to a whole lot of bad shots.
The player who was probably the best shooter in the draft, Ben McLemore, went something like 1-13 in his Summer League debut.
These guys go in and start chucking up shots, and that's about it.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521 |
Dion also put up 23 yesterday and 16 today.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728 |
Sounds like somebody got in his ear and told him to assert himself. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
Yeah, often they just jack up shots in Summer League. It's not like you're going to see masterpiece basketball here.A lot of guys stat stuff in the Summer League. Dion put up 23 on 7/17 shooting. The Cavaliers, though, shot 38% in that game overall. Bleh. The Grizzlies ...... well ..... they shot 23.7%.  Ouch. Felix had a nice game on the boards the other night, grabbing 9 rebounds. (Friday, I think, but I'm not sure) I was interested in seeing if Tyler Zeller had added any size/strength in the off-season, and he does look like he might be a little bit more stout. It's hard to tell but his calves don't look quite as string bean as last year, and his uniform looks slightly more filled out. It's kind of hard to tell without real NBA bigs to compare him too. (and I've only seen part of a couple of games so far in Summer league play)
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,426
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,426 |
Rather than watching the All-Star game last night, I watched the gold medal game in the World University Games between Russia and Australia to see Sergey Karasev play. I came away pretty impressed, much more so than I expected to be. He had an off shooting night at the start, but didn't force shots. He had great movement without the ball, made the right pass consistently. He's going to get out-muscled pretty regularly, but he got to the right area defensively most of the time. I came away pretty impressed in all.
[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
He's almost certainly going to have to add some muscle in order to play SF in the NBA on a regular basis ...... but I think that he's going to be a strong contributor for us, especially as he adds strength.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521 |
Miami amnestied Mike Miller.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728 |
And the Cavs have put in a claim. Would be nice to see him here in Cleveland.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,027
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,027 |
Not a huge fan, and he's definitely not part of the future, but he fits what we need right now.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
The Cavaliers have delayed the announcement of Bynum's signing as a result of this claim.
I really hate the way the salary cap works sometimes.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
Quote:
The Cavaliers have delayed the announcement of Bynum's signing as a result of this claim.
Wait what??? What do you mean? You're making me nervous with that. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
I wouldn't be nervous.
No one knows the full story, but by all accounts it looks like we're in the driver's seat for Bynum. He didn't choose us. We're simply the best option.
Not a fact, but likely.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
Quote:
Quote:
The Cavaliers have delayed the announcement of Bynum's signing as a result of this claim.
Wait what??? What do you mean? You're making me nervous with that.
LOL I'm sure that you're just messing around ...... but if they sign Bynum and put in a claim, then they have to make room for that claim. If they put in the claim, and then sign B'num, they don't have to do anything until after they find out if they win the claim.
Like i said, I have the salary cap sometimes.
I am also worried about potentially adding another heavily injury prone guy like Miller to a roster that already had several players with ugly injury histories.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
A little update on Sergey Karasev just lighting it up in the World University Games, averaging 19 points, 5.8 rebounds, and 3.5 assists in just under 25 minutes per game. he also had some obscene shooting numbers, while leading his team to the Gold Medal.  Sergey Karasev Update | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/karasev-update-130715Although the Cavaliers 19th overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, Sergey Karasev, is not able to participate with the Wine and Gold in Las Vegas Summer League, it doesn't mean the Russian swingman isn't working on his game this summer. In fact, Karasev put up big numbers while playing in the World University Games that recently wrapped up in Kazan, Russia – with Karasev’s Russian squad taking top honors by besting Australia, 81-74, in the Gold medal game. In that deciding contest, Karasev finished with 15 points – and over the course of his eight-game run, the 6'8, 200 lb guard/forward averaged 19.0 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 24.9 minutes per game. Perhaps the most impressive aspect to Karasev's performances has been his offensive efficiency. Karasev is shooting 56 percent from the field, including 46 percent (20-of-44) from beyond-the-arc. Karasev had some big games during the Tournament. On July 7, he scored 31 points on 13-for-17 shooting in just 19 minutes of action against Oman and notched a double-double of 20 points and 10 boards – adding seven assists and four steals in 33 minutes – in a win over Canada on July 15. Following the World University Games, which wrapped up on Tuesday, July 16th, Karasev will join the Russian National Team to begin training on Monday, July 22nd in preparation for The Euro Championships held in Slovenia in September. Click here to follow Karasev's progress throughout The Euro Championships.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
Dion has some nasty moves when driving to the basket. He just did a spin move on two defenders.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850 |
it's great he's doing well in this setting, but let's level-set here. below is the USA roster for this event. it's not exactly a who's who of college basketball (McDermott and Dinwiddie the biggest names on the list). http://kazan2013.ru/hide/en/-240/Root/ViewPdf/BKM400024_C33_USA_4.0.PDFQuote:
4 FERRELL Kevin G 9 MAY 1993 5 SHEEHEY William F 16 JAN 1992 6 HAWS Tyler G 11 APR 1991 7 HANCOCK Luke F 30 JAN 1990 8 DINWIDDIE Spencer G 6 MAR 1993 9 KILPATRICK Sean G 6 JAN 1990 10 GRAHAM Treveon F 28 OCT 1993 11 MCDERMOTT Douglas F 3 JAN 1992 12 JEFFERSON Cory C 26 DEC 1990 13 WHITE Aaron C 10 SEP 1992 14 PAYNE Adreian F 19 FEB 1991 15 KIRK Alex C 14 NOV 1991
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
Yeah, I agree that the competition hasn't been the strongest, (though the Canadian team is supposed to be pretty good) but he had still hit something like 2/3 of his shots, and that's impressive even against air.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465 |
He's been struggling to hit shots against stiffs in live action.
I'm not saying that it's something to get excited about, but it's a big improvement.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850 |
yes, I agree with both you and PDR that it's good to see. I just didn't want anyone to read those stats without knowing the background.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,322
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 20,322 |
JC
People are talking about how important Kyrie is to this team and I get it, but I really think Dion Waiters may really shine this year. I think he is a player no one is really talking about locally, and certainly nationally.
At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
I'm really not that upset by this. He's a solid outside shooter, but man, he is almost constantly hurt.
I just hate to see the whole roster made up of massive injury risks. We already have Kyrie, Andy, and Bynum who are all going to have to be carefully managed so as to limit injuries. Miller would be just another guy we would have to be extremely careful with.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850 |
Quote:
I'm really not that upset by this. He's a solid outside shooter, but man, he is almost constantly hurt.
I just hate to see the whole roster made up of massive injury risks. We already have Kyrie, Andy, and Bynum who are all going to have to be carefully managed so as to limit injuries. Miller would be just another guy we would have to be extremely careful with.
yeah, this team already reminds me of the early 90's Cavs with most of the important pieces being injury risks
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,850 |
I love how the Central Division scoffs at the rest of the NBA "ignoring" the center position. It's a big boys league in the Central.
(no, divisions are near meaningless in the NBA and this is a pathetic attempt to provide some singular meaning. Central does now house: Hibbert/West, Monroe/Drummond, Noah/Boozer, Henson/Sanders, and Bynum/Varejao)
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,276
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,276 |
Has anyone tried calling Hibert "Doctor Hibert"? I would love that to be his nickname even if it is clunky.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,065 |
Quote:
"This is definitely a playoff team," Bynum said. "I'm really excited about this roster."
ESPN: -- Andrew Bynum is officially a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers.
In the East... yeah... Assuming certain people don't get hurt..
Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,054 |
I do think that this team is built to handle injuries better than in the past, as long as injuries don't go 2 deep at either C or PG.
With Bynum and Andy, we have 2 quality Centers who can put up double doubles on a regular basis. Andy was averaging what ... 14 and 14 last year, or something like that, before he got hurt. If we can manage to keep both guys healthy I like this team a lot. I still like our chances even with just 1. If both get hurt, we're in trouble again.
At PG we have Irving, with Jack backing him up. (though Waiters would probably be the primary ball handler when Kyrie sits, or takes a game off) As much as I liked Livingston, Jack is a huge upgrade.
We also have a nice rotation at PF. I look forward to seeing if Tristan takes yet another step forward offensively. SG should be interesting, with some possibilities, as the new kid Felix is really doing a nice job in Summer League. (especially on defense, and grabbing boards)
SF is really the big question mark, but we do have 2 guys there who can defend, and we can make the playoffs even if we don't have a superstar scorer there. (as long as the rest of the team doesn't implode with injuries) I like the potential of Karasev as well. I think that he will become a nice scorer for us.
Yeah, I think that this should be a playoff team. They were close in a lot of games last year with almost no production from the C position. so if we can get 20/20 between Andrew and Andy, that will be a huge step in the right direction. (and not out of line for those 2 to accomplish)
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
I really like our big man rotation. Tristan and Andy are solid bench guys (Tristan will start early in the year). I like the new guys we've added in Bynum and Bennet. I honestly think when you factor in depth, we have the best big man rotation in the NBA. Heck you can also throw in Zeller and Clark are solid as third string centers and power forwards. I think our backcourt is solid with Kyrie, Dion, Jack and Sergey.
Small Forward is a freaking train wreck.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413 |
Quote:
I honestly think when you factor in depth, we have the best big man rotation in the NBA.
If you don't factor in health, maybe. But health is a factor as both Bynum and Varejao can't stay healthy.
Even if you figure in the number of guys the Cavs have I would still take the Bulls (Noah, Gibson, and Boozer), Nets (Lopez, Garnett, Blatche, Evans, and Kirilenko), and Grizzlies (Gasol, Randolph, Koufous, Davis).
The Cavs have a very promising group though. Especially if Bynum, Varejao, or both Bynum and Varejao stay healthy.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
I forgot the Grizzlies. I refuse to pick the Nets because you can time their big guys with a sun dial. I refuse to pick the bulls because Boozer is a completly pansy.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 884
All Pro
|
All Pro
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 884 |
you have to admit that it is more fun talking about cleveland cavs then the browns.
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NBA Discussion II
|
|