Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
j/c

I don't know if anyone saw it, but the QB from Cincy had one of the more gruesome leg injuries I've seen in a while. I hope he recovers properly.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
jc

Not sure if I saw it right, but did Aaron Murray just win a big game and put up really impressive numbers against a good team?

Legend
Legend
Yes he did. I was impressed with Georgia today. I was pulling for them after the loss last week to be honest. Plus, I'm already tired of hearing about Clowney.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Braxton Miller should change his name to Nordberg ... sh - I mean, stuff, just happens to him all the time.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The Georgia win today makes the Clemson win last week look even more impressive. I could see them start to climb even higher in the polls each week if the teams above them have sloppy games.

I am already looking forward to the Clemson vs Florida State game later this season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
LSU is looking really strong this year. Zach Metzenburger looks to have really improved from last season. The Tigers always run the ball well and play good defense the QB play was the missing link last season. Alabama will have their hands full with the Tigers if he continues to play like he has these first 2 weeks.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Georgia win today makes the Clemson win last week look even more impressive. I could see them start to climb even higher in the polls each week if the teams above them have sloppy games.

I am already looking forward to the Clemson vs Florida State game later this season.

Florida State will have already lost to Maryland by then...

When is the last time that in week 2, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina had all lost a game already? Props to the ACC for knocking off 2 top 10 SEC teams...

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I haven't had a chance to see Maryland play yet this year, I watched Florida State and they have unreal talent at the skill positions. If Maryland is that good then the ACC will be pretty awesome this season. Idid watch the Florida vs Miami game today. Florida whipped them up and down the field except in the red zone. The Gators need better QB play.

Legend
Legend

Never thought I'd see someone make Brent look like a spokesman for sobriety.

Legend
Legend
haha i was literally just going to mention that ... one of the strangest interviews I've witnessed ... just odd

Legend
Legend
Katherine Webb feels relieved that Brent isn't awkward just about her

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Katherine Webb feels relieved that Brent isn't awkward just about her

Legend
Legend
Devin Gardner must have been sipping from the same cup as Eminem.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Devin Gardner must have been sipping from the same cup as Eminem.

No kidding. That was just bizarre. What was he thinking?

On a side note, this is the first time in my life I have ever rooted for ND in this game. Michigan fans have been absolutely obnoxious this year towards Buckeye fans. Growing up in Toledo, I have a lot of friends who are Michigan fans, and the amount of crap I've seen come across Facebook from them is monumental. I've saved every message of smack I have received from them and hope to be able to throw it back in their faces late in the day on November 30th

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Was that Steve Everitt celebrating the TD on the Michigan sideline?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Yes. He is there quite a bit.

cle23 #799073 09/08/13 12:28 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Mack Brown needs to retire. Byu rushes for 550 yds tonight. Talk about a program that has hit hard times.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

jc

Not sure if I saw it right, but did Aaron Murray just win a big game and put up really impressive numbers against a good team?

Yes, hes 1-9 against top 10 teams and just beat a #11 ranked team. He looked good to. I remember Brady Quinn couldn't win big games and had to have his teammates pull some stuff out of their butts to help him come from behind against lesser teams. Im comparing the two because come draft time, it will be said about both that they cant win big games. But I never liked what I saw from Quinn and already like what I see from Murray. Murray will be picked maybe 2 rounds later than Quinn but have a way better career. I think it would make since for Cle, KC, Jax, Minn, and Tenn to all take a look at him to start 3 years from now.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
For those who think the Browns need depth at ILB, keep an eye on Miami's #52 Denzell Perryman. He is only a Jr. but he plays both OLB and MLB. He is listed as the teams OLB, but has started at MLB as a So. He is listed at 6'0 and 252.

He might not even come out this year but when I was watching the Miami- Florida game, watching him made me think he could be a future player at ILB and selected in rounds 2-4.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think the real sleeper at ILB is going to be Andrew Jackson. He gets a lot of comparison to Ray Lewis, mainly because they're from the same hometown, but most of the comparisons aren't unfounded, as dude will try to obliterate everything he sees. He just doesn't go for the kill when making tackles, he's trying to wipe your existence out of the universe. Nasty man right there.

I still think C.J. Mosely is the best bet at ILB for us. Just because he can do it all, he's silky smooth.and looks to be one of the best LBers that Bama has ever made. Unfortunately Bama doesn't have the best track record for LBers in the pros.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

For those who think the Browns need depth at ILB, keep an eye on Miami's #52 Denzell Perryman. He is only a Jr. but he plays both OLB and MLB. He is listed as the teams OLB, but has started at MLB as a So. He is listed at 6'0 and 252.

He might not even come out this year but when I was watching the Miami- Florida game, watching him made me think he could be a future player at ILB and selected in rounds 2-4.

That is funny that I saw you say this because I literally had the same thoughts when I watched him play. Man, he is all over the field, has great make up speed, and is really good in pass coverage. He would be ideal in Horton's 3-4 as an ILB IMO. He is very impressive ... great minds think alike

C
Legend
Legend
C
Lane Kiffin is horrible.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
He's a So. so a few more years for him.

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Mack Brown needs to retire. Byu rushes for 550 yds tonight. Talk about a program that has hit hard times.

Haven't people been saying this for quite some time?

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
j/c

my weekend thoughts:

ACC is strong this year. I consider the ACC to include Louisville (and not Maryland) as that is where those teams are going to land soon. Really good for them this year so far.

conversely, BigXII is terrible this year. Outside of Baylor, all the teams have looked pretty weak this year and we don't know about Baylor yet. OU should be able to roll a team like WVU who seems to be terrible this year. Ugly start to the year for them.

Big10 is a bit better than the past couple years, but not enough. OSU, Michigan, NW, and Nebraska (well, maybe) look capable enough. MichSt. and PSU behind them. And, not sure where that came from with the Illini.

also, Gardner actually looked like a QB in that game. he had his miscues, but alot of those passes were laser accurate and leading the WRs open.

Pac12 hasn't changed. Stanford, Oregon and everybody else.

love how the SEC smartly scattered intriguing conference games the first few weeks. other conferences should copy that plan. they still have 6 very, very good teams though we'll see what happens as Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Stanford, and Oregon all look plenty capable of beating any of them (or losing --- just saying they are catching up in that arms race).

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I think Oklahoma State probably wins the big 12. I fully expect Mack Brown to retire at years end. The game has passed him by just like it did John Cooper. Even Bob Stoops has lost some his luster. Not too long ago he was the top coach in the game. Use to win every big game, now he can't win any of them.

The best two teams I've seen are Oregon and Florida State. I don't think bama 3 peats. They lost too much on the line, I could see them losing Saturday. Lsu is the best team in the sec. Their Qb has improved so much over last year.

My top 5
Oregon
Florida State
Lsu
Ohio State
Alabama

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
we better get a further report on Miller before even inferring OSU in the top5. and, even then, I'm not so sure they are there.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I agree. Their schedule is so incredibly easy, it's hard not to imagine them going at least 11-1. I think MIchigan is the only game they could lose.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

I agree. Their schedule is so incredibly easy, it's hard not to imagine them going at least 11-1. I think MIchigan is the only game they could lose.

Wisconsin always plays us tough.

Then, the week after the Badgers we visit the team that might be the best team in the Big10 this year. Yeah, no joke, NW looks pretty good (I "think" the Buckeyes and Wolverines are better, but I'm not sure yet is all and I think that will be a tough game).

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

j/c

my weekend thoughts:

ACC is strong this year. I consider the ACC to include Louisville (and not Maryland) as that is where those teams are going to land soon. Really good for them this year so far.

conversely, BigXII is terrible this year. Outside of Baylor, all the teams have looked pretty weak this year and we don't know about Baylor yet. OU should be able to roll a team like WVU who seems to be terrible this year. Ugly start to the year for them.

Big10 is a bit better than the past couple years, but not enough. OSU, Michigan, NW, and Nebraska (well, maybe) look capable enough. MichSt. and PSU behind them. And, not sure where that came from with the Illini.

also, Gardner actually looked like a QB in that game. he had his miscues, but alot of those passes were laser accurate and leading the WRs open.

Pac12 hasn't changed. Stanford, Oregon and everybody else.

love how the SEC smartly scattered intriguing conference games the first few weeks. other conferences should copy that plan. they still have 6 very, very good teams though we'll see what happens as Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Stanford, and Oregon all look plenty capable of beating any of them (or losing --- just saying they are catching up in that arms race).

Great post. I agree with your opservations. The ACC has some very togh teams. If Louisville were in that conference this season it would be quite compelling.

This could be the year that the SEC does not win the championship. With that said Nick Saban's team is still very talented and will get better every game. He is that good of a coach. I loved him as a coach back when he was the Browns Defensive Coordinator. I think they will beat A&M this weekend but if Metzenburger keeps playing the way he is LSU will be a war again. Bama is at home this year also.

Georgia will still be a team to be heard from this year. Props to them for having the guts to start their season will 2 top 10 teams Clemson and South Carolina. That kind of early schedule could pay big dividends for them later this season if this year turns into a year of upsets.

It looks right now that the biggest games of the regular season will be.

Clemson vs Florida State
Lsu vs Alabama
Oregon vs Stanford
Ohio State vs Michigan - This game could be sooo good they will play it 2 weeks in a row.

Legend
Legend
I am of the firm opinion that Louisville is not that much better than Maryland this year. Louisville is going to feast on an almost comically easy schedule and shouldn't lose a game while Maryland has to play WVU, Florida State, Clemson, a VaTech team that shut down Alabama's offense... so I doubt Maryland will finish as high as Louisville but in a head to head match-up, I think Maryland could hold their own.

And yes, the rest of the ACC is in a pretty good place right now.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Wisconsin always plays us tough.

Then, the week after the Badgers we visit the team that might be the best team in the Big10 this year. Yeah, no joke, NW looks pretty good (I "think" the Buckeyes and Wolverines are better, but I'm not sure yet is all and I think that will be a tough game).

Northwestern is legit. I don't know about best team in the Big Ten, but I think they are a legitimate top 25 ranked team. They're well coached, and disciplined. I think Pat Fitzgerald is there for the long haul as well. I hope so because he's good for the conference. I've kept an eye on them the last few years and you could see it coming.

They're also trying to combat other fans filling up their stadium for games. You currently have to bid on tickets for OSU or UM. You can't just buy single game tickets, although if you have the extra money, the season ticket package is just a little bit more. I thought about it. Maybe if I had an immediate buyer for the Michigan game.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
DC, more power to you for your belief in your team. And, yes, Louisville's schedule is ridiculous (though don't put WVU in your argument as I think they are terrible this year).

It comes down to your QB and your defense in college though and the Cardinals have Bridgewater. That certainly helps matters a ton. And, I really, really want an Orange Bowl with Clemson v. Louisville so hopefully we can see how good they are.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And, yes, Louisville's schedule is ridiculous (though don't put WVU in your argument as I think they are terrible this year).

Yea, WVU is hard to figure this year.. squeaked out a 7 point win over William and Mary, then hung tough with Oklahoma... who knows.

Quote:

It comes down to your QB and your defense in college though and the Cardinals have Bridgewater.

Neither L'ville or Maryland has played anybody of any consequence yet but through 2 games...

Bridgewater - 46/60, 752 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT, Long 54, 2 rushes for 0 yards

CJ Brown - 34/45, 556 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, Long 66, 15 rushes for 130 yards and 4 TDs

But Brown is never going to have the passing numbers Bridgewater has because in 2 40 point wins, Louisville has still thrown the ball as often as they run it, Maryland in 2 30 point wins has run it 30 more times than they have thrown it... and they have scored 6 of their TDs on the ground (4 by the QB).. L'ville has scored 90 points in 2 games and has 2 rushing TDs...

I'm not saying Bridgewater isn't the real deal, I just don't believe Louisville would be a top 10 team in a real conference...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
This is my "overreaction mock draft." Yes, it's not the day after a Browns game without talking draft I'm hoping that we sign a #2 CB in free agency, which is why I don't have us drafting one. I also want to see how our safeties perform. None of them got beat deep and they did a tremendous job on Mike Wallace.

1. Tahj Boyd, QB, Clemson
2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
3. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
3. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
4. Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama
4. Lamarcus Joyner, FS, Florida State
5. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
6. Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue
7. Nickoe Whitley, FS, Mississippi State

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

This is my "overreaction mock draft." Yes, it's not the day after a Browns game without talking draft I'm hoping that we sign a #2 CB in free agency, which is why I don't have us drafting one. I also want to see how our safeties perform. None of them got beat deep and they did a tremendous job on Mike Wallace.

That kinda draft would fill some immediate glaring weaknesses.

All Pro
All Pro
Bridgewater will be a Cleveland Brown next year, take it to the bank.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

That kinda draft would fill some immediate glaring weaknesses.

Sad thing is, we have been back for 14 years and we are still hoping to fill about 5 starting positions with rookies... and possibly a few others with free agents... our theme song should be "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

I just don't believe Louisville would be a top 10 team in a real conference...

and I'm not so sure about that one. I think they should be somewhere in the 8-12 range, but it would depend on which "real" conference you put them in.

they controlled Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl (and they had a phenomenal defense). since 5 SEC teams get to be in the top10, they would have to be outside the top5 in the SEC. This season, I'd have them roughly in the same neighborhood as Georgia and South Carolina and A&M and ahead of Florida. Behind LSU and Bama.

in the ACC, I'd have them right with FSU and Clemson. Ahead of Miami.

in the Big10, they'd be right up there with everybody.

in the Pac12, they'd be just behind Oregon, Stanford.

in the BigXII, they'd likely run away with it this year (unless Baylor is for real).

overall, this is where I think teams rank (tiers not ordered):

elite
Bama, LSU, Oregon, Stanford

could become elite by end of year
FSU, Clemson, South Carolina, A&M, Louisville, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia

very good teams
Miami, Florida, NW

maybe?
OkieState, OU, UCLA, ND

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

and I'm not so sure about that one. I think they should be somewhere in the 8-12 range, but it would depend on which "real" conference you put them in.

they controlled Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl (and they had a phenomenal defense).

I tend to not put 100% faith in what I see in these bowls because of the extended layoff and the fact that some of the bigger schools just aren't up for it if its not the NC game... going by bowl games, Boise State was a top 5 team for a while... It's completely different when you have to play that caliber of team week in and week out, some on the road... playing one a year on a neutral field 6 weeks after the season ended isn't a great barometer.

I just think if they had to play FSU, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, VA Tech or OSU, Michigan, Northwestern, or Alabama, LSU, USC, Georgia... that there is no way they would make it through any of those conference without at least a couple losses....

Like I said, I think they are a very good team, just not elite and using your measure, I'd put them closer to 12-15... which is where teams with 2 losses that aren't in the SEC usually go.

yebat' Putin
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football

Link Copied to Clipboard