DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: no_logo_required College Football - 07/17/13 02:04 PM
it's the middle of July and media days are starting for college football. great time to start up a thread to see what should be an improved Big10 this season (Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin all look to be top25 teams --- Michigan State & Penn State may push for a spot).

also, just in case it's been awhile since you have seen a wolverine get killed in his native habitat:
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 07/17/13 02:21 PM
The Big 10 will be much better next year.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/17/13 02:42 PM
Quote:

The Big 10 will be much better next year.

very true. every team that gets Maryland will get a free win.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 07/17/13 03:03 PM
We'll see about that on October 4, 2014 when OSU travels to College Park to find out what it feels like to play in a real big high school stadium.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/17/13 03:11 PM
Quote:

We'll see about that on October 4, 2014 when OSU travels to College Park to find out what it feels like to play in a real big high school stadium.

lol

ps - nothing brings a smile to my face quite like a college football topic.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/17/13 03:20 PM

now, we just need to find some Rutger grad Brown's fans to join the board.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: College Football - 07/17/13 05:13 PM
Intrested in seeing how Clowney does after all this media hype, Will he work to get better or just sit back get lazy and try to live off the media.

Projected 1st pick in the draft, hit of the century against Michigan the NFL is his if he works for it...gonna be intresting.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 07/17/13 05:16 PM
Everything I read about Clowny says that he has too big of an ego to rest on his name. Time will tell if he maintains that attitude once the cash starts flowing in but for now, I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: College Football - 07/17/13 05:25 PM
Quote:

Everything I read about Clowny says that he has too big of an ego to rest on his name. Time will tell if he maintains that attitude once the cash starts flowing in but for now, I wouldn't worry about it.

You're assuming the cash isn't already flowing in. Come on, this is the SEC we're talking about.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: College Football - 07/17/13 05:42 PM
I read somewhere that he ran a 4.46 40 recently.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/17/13 05:45 PM
Quote:

I read somewhere that he ran a 4.46 40 recently.

and that was with one of these on:

Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/17/13 06:01 PM
Quote:

Intrested in seeing how Clowney does after all this media hype, Will he work to get better or just sit back get lazy and try to live off the media.

Projected 1st pick in the draft, hit of the century against Michigan the NFL is his if he works for it...gonna be intresting.

The thing that sucks for him is that I don't think he can up his value any more. Not from that position. DE is a premier position, but not like QB, on top of the fact that he's already gotten so much pub. He can only maintain what he has, and hope that he avoids injury, but man, what a freak.

I still think that come next April, a QB gets picked first, but if he keeps his pace up, he will go right after.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming season, especially being an Ohio State fan and actually having something to get excited about. All we had last year was seeing Urban install his new systems, and kicking Michigan's ass.

Now we can get back into that mode of every game being crucial. If you're like me, and you root for all 3 Cleveland teams and Ohio State football, aside from OSU hoops, we haven't been able to have playoff/do-or-die type games since 2010 with the Cavs final run with Lebron and Ohio State having a decent run that ended up with the Sugar Bowl win. It's been awhile.

I root for OSU hoops, and I was all for the Blackhawks on their cup run, but those and everyone else pale in comparison to the Browns, Cavs, Indians, and OSU football for me.

I really can't wait.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: College Football - 07/18/13 02:11 PM
Quote:

it's the middle of July and media days are starting for college football. great time to start up a thread to see what should be an improved Big10 this season (Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin all look to be top25 teams --- Michigan State & Penn State may push for a spot).

also, just in case it's been awhile since you have seen a wolverine get killed in his native habitat:

Vegas Futures" odds have the following Big Ten teams in the top 25 as far as becoming National Champs.

#2 Ohio State
#15 Michigan
#16 Nebraska
#21 Michigan State
#24 Wisconsin

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/futures/

However..........it all has to shake out on the field.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: College Football - 07/18/13 02:23 PM
tOSU fans avoid the BTN today.....it's "That Team Up North" day.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 07/18/13 02:27 PM
j/c...

Alabama is going to DESTROY Texas A&M. Saban is going to make it a point to run up the score, too.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/18/13 02:58 PM
Quote:

j/c...

Alabama is going to DESTROY Texas A&M. Saban is going to make it a point to run up the score, too.

Totally agree. I can't wait to see how Vegas fixes the line. Bama will be favored but we will get a low line because A&M is at home.

You could tell Satan was still seething about that loss even during his post game interview from winning the national chip.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: College Football - 07/18/13 03:11 PM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c...

Totally agree. I can't wait to see how Vegas fixes the line. Bama will be favored but we will get a low line because A&M is at home.

You could tell Satan was still seething about that loss even during his post game interview from winning the national chip.

Auto-correct or Freudian slip?
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/18/13 03:53 PM
Isn't that his name?

lol

Actually, I think if you type in Saban it just auto corrects itself to Satan to save you the trouble.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/19/13 01:38 AM
bama again, they should be better than last year.
Posted By: ddubia Re: College Football - 07/19/13 08:07 AM
I've had a little extra at home time this past week so I've been watching the Big Ten Network. Saw some great games where Michigan got their asses handed to them big time.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/20/13 02:34 PM
if bama, buckeyes, florida state and texas are all undefeated who goes? the buckeys might be in trouble with there soft schedule.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: College Football - 07/20/13 03:42 PM
Quote:

if bama, buckeyes, florida state and texas are all undefeated who goes? the buckeys might be in trouble with there soft schedule.

Yeah those teams play some real powerhouses in Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Idaho, New Mexico St., BYU, Colorado St., Georgia St., and Chattanooga as part of their non-conference schedules.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: College Football - 07/20/13 04:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah those teams play some real powerhouses in Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Idaho, New Mexico St., BYU, Colorado St., Georgia St., and Chattanooga as part of their non-conference schedules.

If tOSU and Alabama go undefeated they will play for the NT, I don't care who goes undefeated ... there already hyping this as "the game" ... besides, Texas and FSU aren't little sisters, but there names don't compare to those 2 ... JMHO
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: College Football - 07/21/13 09:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hey! Don't be putting down Chattanooga.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/21/13 11:11 PM
those other teams don't have to play perdue, Indiana, ill, buffalo, vandy, cal {ranked last in the pac 12}. penn state etc. 9 cup cakes. the truth of the matter is the buckeyes have the softest schedule of those 4 teams.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/21/13 11:15 PM
do you agree that if there is more than 2 undefeated teams the should take the 2 with the harder schedules. bama plays in the hardest conference in the country. besides you really don't want to see osu play the tide or do you? I don't, this bama team can be better than last.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/21/13 11:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

have you looked at osu schedule. these teams play a harder schedule the osu does. the big 10 mave not have another team in the top 12 at the end of the year.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 02:50 AM
Looks like Carlos Hyde is off the team.
Posted By: Rambo Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:27 AM
Just saw the rumors. If true, what a complete moron.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:50 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

have you looked at osu schedule. these teams play a harder schedule the osu does. the big 10 mave not have another team in the top 12 at the end of the year.

Yeah Florida St.'s schedule is real tough.(Sarcasm)

Pitt ( 6-7 )
Nevada ( 7-6 )
(Div. I-AA) Bethune-Cookman ( 9-3 )
Boston College ( 2-10 )
Maryland ( 4-8 )
Clemson ( 11-2 )
NC State ( 7-6 )
Miami (Fla) ( 7-5 )
Wake Forest ( 5-7 )
Syracuse ( 8-5 )
Idaho ( 1-11)
Florida ( 11-2 )

*last years records

Most Pre-Season rankings have 4 or 5 Big Ten teams in their Top 25 and only 2 or 3 ACC teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 07/22/13 10:53 AM
Are you kidding or just another Ohio State hater?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 07/22/13 10:59 AM
There is no news link so I can't post specifics, but I've heard he was in trouble with police.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 07/22/13 11:22 AM
I was referring to the schedule thing that rich was talking about, but thanks for the information.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 07/22/13 11:27 AM
Okay got ya... my bad
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 02:46 PM
Quote:

Pitt ( 6-7 )
Nevada ( 7-6 )
Boston College ( 2-10 )
Maryland ( 4-8 )
Clemson ( 11-2 )
NC State ( 7-6 )
Miami (Fla) ( 7-5 )
Wake Forest ( 5-7 )
Syracuse ( 8-5 )
Idaho ( 1-11)
Florida ( 11-2 )

*last years records

Combined record 69-69 (leaving out 1AA team)

Opponents on Ohio Stat'e schedule were a combined 70-79.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 02:54 PM
Quote:

As is life with Urban Meyer as your coach.

Not saying I wouldn't love to have him as my coach, but you gotta take the bad with the good lol.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

As is life with Urban Meyer as your coach.

Not saying I wouldn't love to have him as my coach, but you gotta take the bad with the good lol.

That's not his recruit though?

Either way, if it's true he kicked him off the team, then he did the right thing.

Had Carlos played at Notre Dame, they probably would have just given him a game, since they were ok with Tommy Rees assaulting a cop.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:11 PM
Quote:

Are you kidding or just another Ohio State hater?

i am not a buckeye hater, but rather a fan. but if you are going to sit here and say that osu's schedule is tuff you are looking at it with blinders on. and don't go by last years teams, its this year that counts. I will give you a example cal last year was ranked high in the pac-12 but this year they are ranked dead last in the pac-12. then they pick up one of the worst teams from the sec in vandy [real powerhouse} buffalo. I just see it and call it like it is. its one of the softest schedules of preseason top 2 ranked teams ever. it is what it is! you have to admit it.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:12 PM
It's not so much about who recruited the kid. A pretty significant amount of these kids come from a rough upbringing, all coaches recruit these types of kids. Urban Meyer clearly doesn't have control over his players, though.

Players Arrested Under Meyer at Florida

It is what it is, he's a hell of a football coach, but the arrests that pile up under Meyer can't be a coincidence.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:16 PM
It's definitely something to look at. He takes a chance on these kids more than other coaches would.

But like you said, he can't sit there and babysit them at night when they are off school and practice hours.

He did the right thing though. He definitely has more pull at OSU than he did at Florida.

As far as OSU's schedule goes, most fans know that this schedule has set up very nice for them. Their only tough OOC game is at Cal, and the rest of the Big Ten is just flat out weak. They know their only shot at the title game is to run the table.

I do think they will get the nod if they do that. Don't forget, they were screwed out of anything last year, and will have won some 25 games in a row to get to that point (if it happens). You're only fooling yourself if you don't think that comes into play with the voters.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 03:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah Florida St.'s schedule is real tough.(Sarcasm)

Pitt ( 6-7 )
Nevada ( 7-6 )
Boston College ( 2-10 )
Maryland ( 4-8 )
Clemson ( 11-2 )
NC State ( 7-6 )
Miami (Fla) ( 7-5 )
Wake Forest ( 5-7 )
Syracuse ( 8-5 )
Idaho ( 1-11)
Florida ( 11-2 )

*last years records

Most Pre-Season rankings have 4 or 5 Big Ten teams in their Top 25 and only 2 or 3 ACC teams.

once again you need to look at this years schedule. come back at the end of the season and tell me how many teams the buckeys play that are ranked in the top 50. the only teams I see giving them any competition is Michigan and the badgers.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 04:28 PM
Looks like Bradley Roby was arrested over the weekend for an altercation as well. At least in this case he didn't assault the daughter of a cop, so he has a chance to have charges dropped which will keep him around. Unbelievably stupid though.

I think they can get by without Hyde, but not without Roby.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 04:40 PM
I just read the article on ESPN about Hyde and i have to wonder why he's being dismissed before he has even been arrested or charged with anything. Not condoning assaulting women but the article just states that he's a person of interest. That could mean many things.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 04:42 PM
Quote:

once again you need to look at this years schedule. come back at the end of the season and tell me how many teams the buckeys play that are ranked in the top 50. the only teams I see giving them any competition is Michigan and the badgers.

We will do just that, at the end of the season we will compare Florida St.'s schedule to OSU's.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 05:23 PM
Quote:

I just read the article on ESPN about Hyde and i have to wonder why he's being dismissed before he has even been arrested or charged with anything. Not condoning assaulting women but the article just states that he's a person of interest. That could mean many things.

The same thing happened with Jake Stoneburner last year. There was an altercation with a woman (I think his girlfriend), he was arrested and booted off only to be reinstated when the charged were dropped. My guess is that Meyer isn't going to put up with questions from the media and elsewhere about it. Hyde will probably be brought back if the charges get dropped, however I don't think that will happen.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: College Football - 07/22/13 05:36 PM
I understand, but according to the ESPN article Hyde hasn't even been charged. He's just someone who was mentioned in the report as a person of interest to the Police.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 07/22/13 05:50 PM
Okay.

I wasn't saying it was a tough schedule, but you failed to mention that many top teams play weak schools. Dawg66 listed some of them. Therefore, I don't see what the big deal is.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/22/13 05:53 PM
Quote:

I understand, but according to the ESPN article Hyde hasn't even been charged. He's just someone who was mentioned in the report as a person of interest to the Police.

Yes, but I think they are taking him off the team until the legal process works itself out. It's just a headache and distraction right now. If the charges are dropped, which I think there is a very slim chance, then he will be reinstated.

The school doesn't have to wait on something like that. Playing college football is a privilege, not a right.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/22/13 09:33 PM
ACC says they would have ejected Clowney for "The Hit"

I don't know how much cleaner you can get than running upfield and engaging the runner as he did. Yes, he slid upwards and made contact with the facemask (causing it to jettison), but there's not that much a defender can do there unless we ask them to dive at the runners knees.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ney-for-the-hit
Posted By: 214dawg Re: College Football - 07/22/13 10:35 PM
Quote:

It's just a headache and distraction right now. If the charges are dropped, which I think there is a very slim chance, then he will be reinstated.

A source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that there is surveillance video of the incident that's contrary to what is being reported.

From ESPN

"El Guapo" might not be in as much trouble as was earlier reported.
Posted By: rich52 Re: College Football - 07/23/13 01:48 PM
Quote:

Okay.

I wasn't saying it was a tough schedule, but you failed to mention that many top teams play weak schools. Dawg66 listed some of them. Therefore, I don't see what the big deal is.

hey dog, my original post on the subject was what happens if and I say if [bama, buckeyes, noles, longhorns and the ducks] all finish undefeated. who plays in the national championship game? I said that the buckeys soft schedule of non league and leagues games this year will hurt the chances of playing in that game.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: College Football - 07/23/13 02:17 PM
It's coming...Division 4 for College Football
July 22, 2013 12:54 pm CT
Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com

The gravity of the situation hit home when a conservative administrator -- a wrestler in his younger days and AD at academically elite Stanford for six years -- was the one to finally give voice to the upheaval we'd been hearing about eor months.

While it's not a full-on breakaway from the NCAA that's coming to college football, the look and feel of the sport will never be the same. Frustrated at a bogged-down, ineffective NCAA, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Monday he and his BCS conference peers favored "transformative change" in college athletics.

He later identified that change as the possible establishment of a so-called “Division 4” of the highest level of football-playing schools.

"We've made it too easy to get into Division I," Bowlsby said Monday at his conference's media days, "and too easy to stay there."

So who needs the MAC -- or Mountain West or any of the non-BCS schools that get table scraps as it is? Certainly not the BCS schools about to formalize what has been a de facto for-profit model driving college athletics.

What we'd been hearing for those months now seems to be heading for reality. There is going to be a further subdivision at the highest level of college football. It last happened in 1978 when FCS (Division I-AA) was created. That relegated 250 or so schools to the non-revenue purgatory that is I-AA.

Get ready for an expansion of that purgatory for the have-nots. The message was as clear as the division between the BCS and non-BCS conferences. ACC commissioner John Swofford said it could come within six months. Bowlsby said an NCAA special convention may be needed.

A special convention in 1985 established the death penalty for chronic NCAA violators. The next special convention may mean football death -- at least at the top level of the game -- for every hyphenated, directional school below the BCS Mendoza Line.

Get ready, then, for Division 4, where those BCS schools (Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, ACC, SEC) are going to set their own rules.

• Theoretically they not only will be able to pay players, but pay them as much as they want -- $5,000, $10,000 per year? Why not? In the new governance structure, there'd be no MAC schools to vote it down.

• Forget a four-team playoff. How soon could Divisiom 4 officials institute an eight-teamer? As soon as they damn well please.

• Might as well forget "Division 4" as a formal label too. Couldn't the schools sell naming rights since the NCAA that now will only nominally oversee big-time football won't have much of a say?

Think of the new subdivision as the NFL -- Nike Football League – if the shoe giant wins the contract.

• There would be fewer chances for legal liability. Instead of the NCAA fighting the O'Bannon lawsuit, Division 4 could openly negotiate with video game manufacturers, use players likenesses, numbers, names and faces -- and distribute the revenue back to the players.

Once again, what could the NCAA do? Bowlsby's statements suggest the association has lost leverage.

• Division 4 could set its own scholarship limitations, make its own enforcement rules. Bowlsby specifically expressed frustration at NCAA enforcement which has not distinguished itself lately -- or at all. Think of Division 4 setting its own recruiting rules.

Part-time students playing football? Why not? Remember, its Division 4's game, money and future.

“It [college football] is professional in many ways,” said Ohio University professor Dave Ridpath, an academic reformer and NCAA critic. “They could go to school on their own time.”

Don't worry about the NCAA tournament. In this setting, the BCS schools would participate in it. The rub would come when Michigan plays a Miami (Ohio) that doesn't pay its players some kind of stipend. But what, really, would be the difference from now? Both sides already admit a competitive and recruiting disparity.

NCAA president Mark Emmert released a statement saying the Association's board and executive committee welcomes discusssions on how the governance process can be improved.

"Many good ideas are being suggested," Emmert said, "including ways to increase the involvement of practitioners."

Elsewhere, Bowlsby's comment reverberated around college athletics.

"It will surprise me if they [BCS conferences] don't get what they want," said Karl Benson, the Sun Belt commissioner.

And if they do?

"The other five conferences will have to decide at what level we can afford to participate in it," Benson added.

The MAC's Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of another impacted non-BCS league, said the main issue is "a great level of frustration at NCAA governance. ... We operate in silos. What we've not had is a national dialogue of what the issues are."

If the BCS schools follow through, they are doing it because they can -- because they have. You might have noticed the BCS conferences are taking in about 70 percent (conservative estimate) of the $7.2 billion produced by the College Football Playoff beginning in 2014. That's after taking in 85 percent of the BCS money since 1998.

Bowlsby went so far as to say Monday that those five conferences may play games amongst themselves. No non-BCS schools (Conference USA, MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West and American -- beginning in 2014). The Big Ten is already making noise about not playing I-AA (FCS) schools. What would be the big deal with cutting out the non-BCS schools?

“There are going to be winners and losers in there,” Bowlsby said bluntly.

Truth to be told, the likes of the Sun Belt were happy to get those table scraps. Benson long ago understood the economics. So did long-bleating Boise State. It owes a lot of whatever brand loyalty it has developed, success it has earned to the BCS. If the BCS commissioners survived the anti-trust concerns that went with establishing that college football playoff, building a new luxury home in Division 4 to house it is going to be easy.

“I think some kind of reconfiguration of how we govern is in order,” Bowlsby said.

So the time has finally come, the time we've been hearing about for months, years. We knew that financially the BCS conferences were about to flex their significant muscle. Now they're gaining further control of college athletics. By the way, don't get in their way because complete secession from the NCAA is possible, Bowlsby said, though only as “a last resort.”

Somewhere you can hear saber rattling. The commissioners are using gummed-up NCAA legislative process as an excuse, but really this about them making their own rules so they spend their own money the way they see fit.

The player stipend debate has been disaster and perhaps the last straw for the BCS schools. Northern Iowa has almost nothing in common with Texas but has the ability to vote down a stipend because it can't afford it. What the BCS commissioners are saying: Why is Northern Iowa voting on the issue in the first place?

“Northern Iowa and Texas aren't much alike,” said the same Bob Bowlsby, who also spent eight years as AD at … Northern Iowa.

While this might destroy the innocence of colligate football, assuming you believe there was a drop of innocence remaining to begin with, I think it's actually a step in the right direction. We could see the big boys play each other more often, an expanded playoff, drop the charade of "the student athlete" at these big-time BCS programs, and give these kids the benefits of what they're actually doing, which is playing semi-pro football.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/23/13 02:25 PM
what I want:

4x16 team conferences (and noone else)

conferences can decide how to determine the winner, but I suspect that most would choose to break it up into 2x8team divisions with the champion from each side playing each other in a championship game.

then, each of those conference champions playing in the 4team playoff that is already setup for 2014 (so, it really is an 8 team playoff).

------------------------------------

that leaves the question of which conference gets demolished. it would seem like the BigXII is the obvious solution because it has more teams that may not make the final 64 team count and ND has already aligned itself with the ACC (which matters).

somone just needs to make sure that Kansas is included. it doesn't matter for football, but the conferences would likely spill over to basketball and Kansas is important IMO.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: College Football - 07/23/13 02:32 PM
A few years ago while standing in line at a catered lunch at work I told a coworker that eventually you will have four 16-20 team conferences and the rest of the schools will have to drop to division I-AA. The remaining schools would have so much power over the NCAA they could get anything they want or just leave the NCAA all together. Another coworker overheard and laughed at me and called me an idiot. Mind you this was before Nebraska left the Big 12. I told him you will see it's all about the money.

Over the last few year with all of the conference shifting I kept reminding him of that discussion and he has conceded at times. I'm going to have to print this article out for him to read.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 07/23/13 03:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Okay.

hey dog, my original post on the subject was what happens if and I say if [bama, buckeyes, noles, longhorns and the ducks] all finish undefeated. who plays in the national championship game? I said that the buckeys soft schedule of non league and leagues games this year will hurt the chances of playing in that game.

4 teams aren't going to finish undefeated.

I do believe Ohio State is going to get sympathy votes if they run the table. As I said before, if they pull that off that will have mean they won 25 straight games, and a conference title match to get to that point.

FSU appears to play a tougher schedule, but don't bank on Clemson or any of those other ACC teams to be great. Even with Florida, they play obviously in a tough conference, and can drop a few games making that schedule look worse.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/23/13 08:39 PM
I never liked Charlie Weis much, but this is hilarious. I don't know if it's really a good policy to be telling your current team that they are a pile of dung though.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/396349-weis-blasts-his-own-program

Quote:

oaches take all manner of preseason approaches, but few show up as blunt as Charlie Weis did for Big 12 Media Days. Here are three of Weis' beauties from his 20-minute Q and A with media ... For starters: "We're 1-11 and picked by everybody to finish last in the league, and that's justifiable. If I were you, I'd pick us in the same spot." ... The capper came when someone asked about Weis' [recruiting ]pitch, given the miserable state of the Jayhawks program. Weis hit on KU's academics, its facilities set-up and the lure of immediate playing time. He says he puts it this way to the typical high school recruit, referring to players already in the program: "Have you looked at that pile of crap out there? Have you taken a look at that? So if you don't think you can play here, where do you think you can play?".

Posted By: Punchsmack Re: College Football - 07/23/13 08:41 PM
Ha ha ha....well it is Kansas football.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 07/23/13 08:50 PM
Quote:

I don't know if it's really a good policy to be telling your current team that they are a pile of dung though.

They went 1-11 and in those 11 losses they had an average margin of defeat of over 20 ppg... and he didn't really recruit any of them.

I think it's a card you can play once, he played it... from here on out what happens will reflect on him.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/23/13 08:57 PM
personally, I don't think it's a card you should have in your deck (especially given the circumstance that it's at media days, so it feels planned out and not an emotional response after a defeat). but, hey, it's out there now.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 07/23/13 10:12 PM
hey, at least Hoke is making sure one family will leave "The Game" happy this year

(seriously though, it's a classy gesture. h/t to him for it)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...game-brady-hoke

Quote:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The 12-year-old Ohio State fan who named his cancer "Michigan" will attend the rivals' late November game as a guest of Wolverines coach Brady Hoke.

Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: College Football - 08/02/13 03:42 AM
Really classy about that 12-year old kid. Keep on fighting kid!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 08/02/13 11:44 AM
Ohio State is ranked #2 in the Coaches Poll. Should be an exciting season for us Buckeye fans.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 08/02/13 02:29 PM
Quote:

Ohio State is ranked #2 in the Coaches Poll. Should be an exciting season for us Buckeye fans.

It's amazing the lack of respect y'all get.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/02/13 06:14 PM
Michael Dyer to Louisville makes things interesting. He's very talented and a great fit with Teddy.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 08/02/13 07:06 PM
I don't know if we deserve to be ranked that high - I personally hate preseason rankings... Wuld rather they come out after a week or two into the season

But I guess it gives us something to talk about - hopefully we can live p to that ranking - defense really makes me nervous
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/02/13 07:07 PM
Braxton Miller is going to have to play out of his mind for us to earn that ranking that was given to us.

Of course, high preseason rankings can help, so I'm not going to complain.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/02/13 07:21 PM
Quote:

Braxton Miller is going to have to play out of his mind for us to earn that ranking that was given to us.

Of course, high preseason rankings can help, so I'm not going to complain.

He's gotta step up his passing game. I actually think the 3 game suspension may be a blessing in disguise, because although they have depth, they may lean on Miller a bit more.

Buffalo will be a stroll in the park, but I do think they will be tested in both SDSU and Cal. Favored probably double digits, but tested.

I think the only team I'd argue ahead of them is Georgia. I'm not putting Oregon with a new coach above them, and Stanford I guess is arguable.
Posted By: Lemmys_Wart Re: College Football - 08/02/13 07:51 PM
Did you guys see that Michigan is installing a retractable roof on their stadium for the 2015 season? The early rendering is below.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: College Football - 08/02/13 09:23 PM
Quote:

Did you guys see that Michigan is installing a retractable roof on their stadium for the 2015 season? The early rendering is below.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/02/13 10:37 PM
Let's just hope the Browns aren't forced to copy the architectural design.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:03 AM
Looking forward to watching this kid on Saturdays.

http://youtu.be/aCRZteu1H4w

I'm just thankful we won't ever have to seem him on Sundays twice a year.
Posted By: jfanent Re: College Football - 08/03/13 02:21 PM
Quote:

Maybe we'll have to see him on sunday 16 times every year

....or 19 times!
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 08/03/13 02:44 PM
That would mean we only won 2 or 3 games this year ...

Posted By: jfanent Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:02 PM
Quote:

That would mean we only won 2 or 3 games this year ...

If that means winning a few superbowls vs. a mediocre 5-7 wins this year, I'll gladly take it.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:09 PM
Being a Cleveland sports fan is like being in a bar with a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". I'm not getting any younger, you know.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:23 PM
Quote:

Being a Cleveland sports fan is like being in a bar with a sign that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". I'm not getting any younger, you know.

I'm stealing this
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:26 PM
Go ahead and steal it, I did.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:50 PM
Quote:

Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/03/13 03:52 PM
Quote:

Maybe we'll have to see him on sunday 16 times every year

Watch the Lions get Clowney
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/05/13 03:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa...-230350855.html

good thing for Manziel that the NCAA still wants to make money off of him. that means he either gets a slap on the wrist of the investigation takes until conveniently after A&M is out of the title race.

Reggie Bush - out of college - go after him

Buckeye5 - slap on wrist, until Sugar Bowl done, then throw the book at them and Tressel

Cam Newton - in midst of champ run, so make up a rule out of thin air (it was his parents, not him - nevermind the Reggie Bush situation) and pretend nothing happened

UNC - throw the book at a school noone cares about

Miami - not in title contention, so try to throw the book at them, but mess up so horribly that a bunch of people quit and the school/persons threaten to sue your pants off.

good times, NCAA, good times
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/05/13 10:11 PM
ND's new uniforms. They just surpassed Northwestern's as my favorites of the "new" uniforms.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...series-uniforms
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/29/13 07:07 PM
Looking forward to seeing Clowney unleashed tonight.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/29/13 07:15 PM
Been waiting for this day for a long time. Can't wait to see some real football.

I love that there is a game at 5cst too. Jump right into it.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/29/13 08:52 PM
I know if I were facing Clowney I would double team him and chip him ... and it still might not work.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 08/29/13 09:02 PM
Quote:

I know if I were facing Clowney I would double team him and chip him ... and it still might not work.

Chaz Sutton (6'5", 265), the other DE would then have a field day. Lost in all of the Clowney talk is that their other DE is pretty darn good too.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/29/13 09:27 PM
like Jared Crick w/ Nebraska (he was the guy who lined up next to Suh)
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/29/13 10:02 PM
Quote:

I just really hope he's healthy all year. He's a SPECIAL talent. Legit #1 pick and HOF talent. He's bigger, stronger, faster and just better than anyone else.

Looking forward to seeing Noah Spence for us too.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 08/30/13 05:17 AM
Well Clowney was underwhelming tonight. That one clip they ran of him walking, standing around, not even engaging the play because he was tired made him look real bad.
Posted By: DawgsRule23 Re: College Football - 08/30/13 05:26 AM
After that dull browns preseason game i had to watch some better action. ole miss vs vandy was a wild ending. if you havent seen it check the highlights. now im watching david carrs brother at fresno state. I wonder if people remind him of his brothers NFL career every day.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/30/13 12:45 PM
Vanderbilt WHAT WERE YOU DOING?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/30/13 01:36 PM
Quote:

answer: being Vanderbilt
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/30/13 04:53 PM
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/30/13 05:29 PM
It was a very Browns-esque way to lose a game.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 08/30/13 05:32 PM
I bet them.

That explains everything.

Carry on.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:19 AM
North Dakota beating KSU....

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised NDS has been a powerhouse in their division but still KSU was in the fiesta bowl last year, at home, in a brand new stadium!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:23 AM
Quote:

North Dakota beating KSU....

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised NDS has been a powerhouse in their division but still KSU was in the fiesta bowl last year, at home, in a brand new stadium!

If you watched the game, it was a great one. The final drive by ND State was incredible .. the 3rd down conversions, the QB play, the clock management, etc .. I found myself rooting for the underdog and I'm glad I watched it.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:29 AM
I was routing for the underdog as well - I love KSU's coach but for some reason never really cared for the team... Pus I typically like underdogs to win
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 08/31/13 12:05 PM
Quote:

Well Clowney was underwhelming tonight. That one clip they ran of him walking, standing around, not even engaging the play because he was tired made him look real bad.

I live in Columbia, SC now. I can tell you it was miserable here. It was in the low 90s and the Dew Point was in the 70s. I was sweating sitting in the shade. The air was so thick it was hard to breathe. I couldn't believe the announcers didn't bring that fact up.

Clowney does have a history of not always going hard, though. And you are right about Sutton. He is very underrated. He's an excellent DE and I think he will be a very, very good pro.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 03:38 PM
j/c
I'm really excited to see how Braxton Miller performs in his second year of Urban Meyer's system. Obviously, it will need to be taken with a grain of salt playing a team like Buffalo. I just hope his mechanics have improved and he shines in the passing game.
Go Bucks!!!
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 04:36 PM
j/c..

I feel like I'm the only one giving Clemson a shot to beat Georgia tonight...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/31/13 04:58 PM
I'm with ya Top! Go Clemson!
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 05:00 PM
Quote:

j/c..

I LOVE Tahj Boyd. I could definetly see them winning.

I just want to see OSU improve. This game is done.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 08/31/13 06:28 PM
Quote:

j/c..

I could go either way - wouldn't be surprised if either team wins. I would probably pick Georgia to win but like I said I think Clemson has a great shot
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/31/13 06:46 PM
Really sloppy game in Columbus. I unerstand guys hurt/suspended, but this is pretty ugly for still being comfortably in the lead.
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 06:55 PM
The defense has been pretty bad all day today, but you have to credit Buffalo for trying to hang in.
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 07:21 PM
I think for the most part you always go with the home team in a season opener. Clemson has proven it could beat the sec's elite.
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 07:22 PM
They didn't look like the 2nd beast team in the country. I could see them dropping a spot or two in the polls.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 08:09 PM
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 08/31/13 09:14 PM
Quote:

They didn't look like the 2nd beast team in the country. I could see them dropping a spot or two in the polls.

I agree that they didn't look like the 2nd best team but they were without their top two RBs and their top CB.

Since I watch college football to play armchair GM, Buffalo has a good OLB Kahlil Barnes that would be a good 2nd round pick (too bad the Browns have 4 OLBs and didn't draft Millner in the 1st this past draft) and I think OSUs backup QB Kenny Guiton deserves a look as an UDFA. 9 out of his 16 drives resulted in a TD. I know Braxton has killer feet but I think Guiton is actually the better passer.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 08/31/13 09:32 PM
PSUs RB Zack Zwinak looks like he might be a future Peyton Hillis although he is only a Jr. He is listed as the teams FB but when inserted as a RB, as a So in week 4, he ran for 1000 yards. This dude can find holes and move piles.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 08/31/13 10:07 PM
Buffalo hung tight with Georgia last year in their opener too.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322450061
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 10:17 PM
I would agree with you on that, legalize. Guiton definitely has a much smoother delivery, but he also has the wheels when he needs them. It's a shame he never got many reps at QB. He had to play behind Pryor and then took a back seat to Miller. He has handled it pretty gracefully, though. And, he makes positive contributions every time he is called on.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:12 PM
Manziel needs to grow up. He's asking to get taken behind the woodshed when he plays Bama.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:15 PM
Quote:

Manziel needs to grow up. He's asking to get taken behind the woodshed when he plays Bama.

I am definitely not an Alabama fan ... but I will be when they play A&M ... and I want them to hit Manziel very hard. I used to stand up for him, but his antics today show his true personality.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I am definitely not an Alabama fan ... but I will be when they play A&M ... and I want them to hit Manziel very hard. I used to stand up for him, but his antics today show his true personality.

Same.

I felt like he was a good kid that just let the spotlight get to him and he didn't know to react. Now he's just become a toolbag.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:27 PM
I don't get the outrage.
Posted By: PDR Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:31 PM
I don't feel 'outraged', but the kid looked like an idiot.

Are you really going to strut and peacock while lighting up Rice?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:33 PM
Yes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:34 PM
Yeah I'm not PO'd or overly concerned with Manziel, but I just think he's acting like an idiot. There are two ways you can take success, and he's choosing the wrong way IMO.

I personally didn't like the motion when he was signing the autograph ... making light of the situation .. just a dumb move.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:55 PM
Everyone rags on Manzel, but what about the two guys who kept getting in his face? He was provoked. Why didn't they get any criticism? Defensive guys were signing mock autographs, pointing at him, getting in his grill, etc. Yet, when the kid finally goes off, it's all his fault?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 08/31/13 11:59 PM
Quote:

Everyone rags on Manzel, but what about the two guys who kept getting in his face? He was provoked. Why didn't they get any criticism? Defensive guys were signing mock autographs, pointing at him, getting in his grill, etc. Yet, when the kid finally goes off, it's all his fault?

yes.

he is the QB of a potential natl'l title contender.
they are defenders doing whatever they can to get under his skin.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/01/13 12:01 AM
Yeah I never said he wasn't provoked. I'm sure Peyton Manning was/is as well ... and Andrew Luck for that matter (just giving an example of a younger guy).

Manziel put himself in that position to begin with, so he kind of brings it upon himself. JMO.
Posted By: PDR Re: College Football - 09/01/13 12:05 AM
Quote:

It comes with the territory. LeBron's dealt with that his whole career, starting at a time when his maturity level probably wasn't ready for it.

It's called professionalism.

If you want to shut them up, there's a real quick way to do it, that's far more effective than running your mouth.

Not to mention...it's the opener against Rice. It's a little more understood if it's a rivalry game, or there's something on the line.

Running your mouth against an opening day creampuff isn't the best look.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 12:06 AM
Quote:

Do you think Oregon players didnt talk smack to Cam Newton in the title game? Cam kept his cool and didn't retaliate.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 01:37 AM
Also I just wanna say I LOVE this commercial.

I love other sports like Basketball and Baseball, but football is king. It's like watching violent chess.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/01/13 02:09 AM
jc

Manziel hasn't done anything that people like Michael Jordan, Bird, Reggie, T.O., Mawse, Richard Sherman, Ray Lewis, Ali, Jim Brown, and so many other players have trash talked just like Manziel has and will. And so be it, if you don't like it, then stop him. But don't crucify him because you wanted him to be the next Tim Tebow.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 09/01/13 02:09 AM
I don't want to get in between yall and your Manziel talk, but #5 Georgia vs #8 Clemson is a hell of a game. Its reported that 22 NFL scouts are in attendance and Im sure all NFL teams are watching. Good game, especially for you armchair GMs at home.

Even with Gordon and Little, Id take Sammy Watkins with a mid 1st round pick.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 02:35 AM
Tahj Boyd has dropped some NFL caliber dimes to guys tonight, just incredible accuracy. He has every physical tool I want from a QB. He just needs to polish his footwork and reading defenses.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 09/01/13 02:46 AM
Boyd is looking real well and Georgias RB Gurley looks like a 1st rounder as a sophomore.
Posted By: KingSteve Re: College Football - 09/01/13 03:13 AM
amazing game...

as for Manziel. I kinda love the spunk and moxie. We as a society hate the boring players that you dont see give any personality and Manziel just shows spunk with some attitude and we dont like it.

I dont know...I think that if you can back it up and get it done...you can say/do whatever you want. If it doesnt affect your game...do it. I like that hes a .. He has some attitude and I like it. I dont necessarily support cocky, but if you can back it up and it doesnt negatively affect you or your team...why not. It just makes the opponents more mad and helps get them off their game cuz their focus leaves the game and focuses on getting the guy they dont like.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 09/01/13 04:03 AM
Georgia also has ex Browns DC Todd Grantham.

Its unfortunate Georgias QB is like 1-10 against top 10 teams. He might get the knock on him that he cant win big games, but he is in the SEC against Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Brady Quinn couldn't win big games either but Georgias QB will be better in the NFL than Brady Quinn.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 05:41 AM
Future Cleveland Browns QB Brett Hundley looked great against the Nevada Wolfpack tonight. 22/33, 274 yards passing, 63 rushing yards, and 4 combined TDs (2 passing, two rushing).
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/01/13 05:51 AM
I hope not. That means we'll be picking in the top 5 in at least one of the next 3 years. Wouldn't mind having him, but like Teddy, Tahj, and RG3 before them, they'll be just out of our grasp.

I wouldn't mind a David Fales though. He looks pretty nice and polished.
Posted By: DawgsRule23 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 05:59 AM
I guess it makes sense why A&M kept him from the media up until that Bama game last year. Should have kept that stranglehold. Im just very glad that Braxton Miller is a class act who actually tries to avoid trouble ( Terrelle Pryor was known to be a real piece of garbage around campus when i went there and was almost as bad as Manziel). Manziel continues to confirm my theory that anyone who in any way supports LeBron James is a DBag and a clueless ignorant scumbag.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 04:34 PM
j/c

I killed it in college picks this week.

I'm in a pick 'em with confidence points. 100 points is usually considered a pretty good week.

I'm at 143 with 3 games, and a possible 40 more points left.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 08:57 PM
Bridgewater is playing a crap Ohio team, but he has made a couple of pretty awesome throws. One throw he was pressured, rolled out to his right, and threw a perfect ball about 30 yards downfield for a touchdown.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/01/13 09:32 PM
Dyer and Teddy are going to be pretty unstoppable.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 09/01/13 11:11 PM
First time I REALLY watched Bridgewater. Unreal!!!

This kid is good. I can't believe how accurate he is. He throws those swing passes and outs perfectly. The guys never slow down. He is the real deal and he will be the #1 overall pick in the next draft.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 12:04 PM
Quote:

First time I REALLY watched Bridgewater. Unreal!!!

This kid is good. I can't believe how accurate he is. He throws those swing passes and outs perfectly. The guys never slow down. He is the real deal and he will be the #1 overall pick in the next draft.

Maybe. I'd still pick the Freak in front of him if both QB and DE were holes.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 01:46 PM
QB > DE
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 01:49 PM
Quote:

QB > DE

False perception. All positions are as equally important, but Clowney is much better at his position than Teddy.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/02/13 02:01 PM
Based on the money QB's get, I wouldn't say all positions are equally important.

Thinking Clowney is better at DE than Bridgewater is at QB is one thing, but if you don't have a franchise QB and you're sitting at a pick where you can get one, and you pass for a DE, you're a joke of a franchise.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 02:29 PM
Quote:

Based on the money QB's get, I wouldn't say all positions are equally important.

Thinking Clowney is better at DE than Bridgewater is at QB is one thing, but if you don't have a franchise QB and you're sitting at a pick where you can get one, and you pass for a DE, you're a joke of a franchise.

I think with the expansion of a passing game/media love affair growing stronger every passing year since Broadway Joe, we have a false sense of perception that QB is of utmost importance. At the end every position (Minus outliers like kicker, punter, LS, KR, etc., etc.) serves as equally important. We've seen just as many teams succeed in the playoffs with bad QBs and good running games and/or defensive games as teams that have more of a passing offense. At the end of the day it's just about the coach's gameplan. Though I will say if you do pick a DE over a QB you better expect some harsh backlash from the fans.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 02:38 PM
There may have been some that succeed in the playoffs, but they rarely win the SB. Outside of Dilfer, who wasn't an elite QB in recent history who won it all?
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 02:54 PM
Joe Flacco
Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Rothlisberger
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner
John Elway
Brett Favre
Troy Aikman
Steve Young

17 Super Bowls

vs.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson

2 Super Bowls

Since 1995.

Give me a Quarterback and I'll take my chances that way.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 02:54 PM
Both Eli and Ben weren't elite during their first SB win. I still wouldn't call Flaco elite either, though he is close to it. So that's 1/2 of the QB's who won it are elite (Mannings, and Ben), but since the SB winners are the most talented team in the entire NFL, it'd make sense for them to have some of the best at all positions, not to mention the repeat winners will also throw off stats. If you really want to see how equal a QB matters, you should look at least at SB contenders which would still be at 50% having elite QBs and 50% having good ones (Did the last 10 years considering the NE skews it a bit), but truthfully you'll want to look at who is getting in the playoffs, and where their strength lies for a better understanding on it.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 09/02/13 03:13 PM
They way Ben, Eli, and Joe all played in the playoffs their SB year was pretty elite.

Joe last year was phenomenal in the playoffs... and got paid very well for it.... same with Eli, he played out of his mind for both his SB runs.

I'm in agreement... if there is a franchise QB on the board and we need one and don't take one we'd be the stupidest team in the league.

with that said, we can argue all day over Clowney vs Bridgewater.... both I think will do very well in the NFL... but it'd be a good debate on who would fair better.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/02/13 03:19 PM
Quote:

I agree.

For example ....... I love what JJ Watt has done, and I think that he is an absolutely incredible player ...... probably one of the top 3 best defensive player in the league (and maybe THE best) ......... and I would still take Luck over him.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 03:56 PM
Quote:

They way Ben, Eli, and Joe all played in the playoffs their SB year was pretty elite.

Joe last year was phenomenal in the playoffs... and got paid very well for it.... same with Eli, he played out of his mind for both his SB runs.

I'm in agreement... if there is a franchise QB on the board and we need one and don't take one we'd be the stupidest team in the league.

with that said, we can argue all day over Clowney vs Bridgewater.... both I think will do very well in the NFL... but it'd be a good debate on who would fair better.

Ben had an awful superbowl. If it wasn't for the refs, they would have completely blew it. I don't think Ben threw above 40% in that game. Eli had an OK game, but I'll give you Flacco as he actually had a good game.

Again, it really depends on how your team is set up on who you should draft. I'd rather have Luck than Watt too, because I think our team needs a QB not a DT. But if I'm the Raiders, I'd have to pick Clowney, because when you draft a QB and don't give him an o-line, wr and a running game*, things get messy quickly.

*Darren McFadden counts as 1/3 of a running game as he'll most likely just play 1/3 of any given season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 04:47 PM
Are you really making the argument that QB isn't the most important position?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 04:52 PM
Quote:

Are you really making the argument that QB isn't the most important position?

Yes.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 05:19 PM
O.K. just wanted to see if I had to take you seriously or not, proceed.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 05:24 PM
LOL ; Hard to swallow that one and keep moving
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:00 PM
Well, here's the thing about using best players as a measurement.

Last year we could say that ILB was just as important as QB or RB, as both teams had some of the best at that position.
Two years ago we could have said it be DE, as they both had probowlers. Three years ago, OLBs. Four years ago Safeties. It just so happens that the most talented teams in each division have a lot of extremely talented players. Saying that the QB was the most important reason they got their is narrow minded.

If you really want to pick a piece that got them there, it's no one who is playing, it's the coach. Because those coaches who won that superbowl are all first ballot HoFers. A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:03 PM
Did THROW LONG hack your account?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:11 PM
Quote:

A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.

From my perspective, I'd rather have a great QB than a great coach. But that's just me.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

A great coach is what you need the most, and unfortunately the hardest thing to find.

From my perspective, I'd rather have a great QB than a great coach. But that's just me.

If you want to be the Bengals/Detroit rather than San Fran be my guest.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:24 PM
I see your point, but I wouldn't consider Dalton/Stafford great QB's either. I'd take Kaepernick over both of them and it isn't even close.

Looking at it from the other side. John Fox was fired in Carolina. Now he has Peyton Manning and is widely thought to be representing the AFC in this year's championship.

Mike Shanahan's teams in Denver were very bad ... after Elway retired. He then got RG3 and made the playoffs.

Pete Carroll bounced around the league. He made the playoffs with Wilson.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:33 PM
What "great coach" doesn't have a great QB?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/02/13 06:42 PM
Quote:

I see your point, but I wouldn't consider Dalton/Stafford great QB's either. I'd take Kaepernick over both of them and it isn't even close.

Looking at it from the other side. John Fox was fired in Carolina. Now he has Peyton Manning and is widely thought to be representing the AFC in this year's championship.

Mike Shanahan's teams in Denver were very bad ... after Elway retired. He then got RG3 and made the playoffs.

Pete Carroll bounced around the league. He made the playoffs with Wilson.

I'd take his Alex Smith led teams, and I think I'm the biggest Alex Smith hater around. But Peyton Manning is an outlier. I'd rather have him than anyone. I don't even need a coach with him. I don't even need an O-Line. I'll just play 7 vs. 11 with Peyton and still feel like I can go 16-0 with him. He's just a bad man.

Shanahan really doesn't get enough credit. He had some really horrible teams with Denver. TD was really the best thing about the Broncos postElway's retirement, as he was going to be the best RB of that era and one of the best RBs ever. But we all know that he got injured and his career got ruined. But throughout those years being led by Jay Cutler, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, the list of awful running backs, sans Clinton Portis's few seasons, and he still only had 1 losing season. I would not categorize him as a bad coach at all. He's actually probably the best run first coach since Marty.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:14 AM
The kicker for the Pitt Panthers last name is Blewitt.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:33 AM
Jamies Winston has been perfect, just unreal.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:45 AM
Quote:

Quote:

QB > DE

False perception. All positions are as equally important, but Clowney is much better at his position than Teddy.

Okay..........I think you are nuts for thinking all positions are equally important. Every head coach and GM in the league says it is a quarterback driven league. Do you know more than them?

Furthermore, I live in Columbia, SC and Clowney isn't all that. He is a physical freak, but he takes a ton of plays off and is often taken advantage of. I actually think Sutton is a better DE than Clowney.

Bridgewater is unreal. He is so, so accurate. So poised. The guy is the real deal. He'll be a much better NFL player than Clowney and it will be a position that is more important.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:56 AM
You had me going a little bit until I saw you say Sutton was better. So where does Suton rank? I know Anthony Barr is better than him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:59 AM
Please don't misunderstand. Clowney will go before Sutton in the draft.

I am saying that Sutton plays his position better. He is much more stout against the run. He seals his edge, which Clowney doesn't.

It's not news for people down here. Clowney has had conditioning issues. He takes plays off. He charges up field and loses containment. He is easily sealed.

Yes, he is a freak. He makes huge plays. He just isn't fundamentally sound or in very good shape.

Oh...............and Sutton is a very underrated player.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 02:55 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

QB > DE

Okay..........I think you are nuts for thinking all positions are equally important. Every head coach and GM in the league says it is a quarterback driven league. Do you know more than them?

Furthermore, I live in Columbia, SC and Clowney isn't all that. He is a physical freak, but he takes a ton of plays off and is often taken advantage of. I actually think Sutton is a better DE than Clowney.

Bridgewater is unreal. He is so, so accurate. So poised. The guy is the real deal. He'll be a much better NFL player than Clowney and it will be a position that is more important.

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece. If AD goes down the Vikings suck. If AJ Green goes down the Bengals suck. If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck. If the expansion Browns offensive line sucks, everything sucks. Everything is interconnected and interdependent of each other on a team. QB's will touch the ball 100% of the times on offense, and with calling the plays, have made them the figurehead of the offense. This gives them most of the credit when things go wrong, and most of the blame when they don't. However, we know they're just as strong as their weakest link. The best teams have set up their teams to where a Matt Cassell can take over an succeed without missing a beat, despite not being a future HoFer.

Also, there's no way Clowney is not the star jewel of this class. Dude's the biggest physical freak to ever enter the NFL, and also has the skill set to challenge some of the top DE's to come into the draft. Dude still has work to be done and things to be learned, but that's to be expected. Drafting someone who knows exactly what to do ends up in Brady Quinn/Robo situations where they've peaked before their first NFL snap.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/03/13 03:36 AM
Quote:

If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck.

i completely disagree with your premise that the QB isn't the most important position. heck, in my 7yo's flag football league, it's still the most important.

however, a further fail by not noting that Denver won a playoff game the year before Peyton with Tebow at QB.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 03:48 AM
Quote:

Quote:

If Peyton Manning goes down the Broncos suck.

i completely disagree with your premise that the QB isn't the most important position. heck, in my 7yo's flag football league, it's still the most important.

however, a further fail by not noting that Denver won a playoff game the year before Peyton with Tebow at QB.

Well your 7 yo's flag football league is not very much a good example for how intricate the NFL is. The NCAA is where you don't need a Davey O'Brien award winner to put up a Championship team. That's a much better comparison to a flag football league.

Also, Denver is not coached by the same man who coached that Tebow team. Nor do they have Tebow. Tebow is a weird dude, like Colt, he had this great ability to win football games without being a good QB. And as much as I love Brock Osweiler standing 6'8 and throwing the ball farther than any NASA mission has gone ever, but dude just doesn't have the Tebow x-factor.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/03/13 04:05 AM
Quote:

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece.

Wow.

Just because the Pats lucked out and had Cassell have a great season doesn't mean that this can happen elsewhere.

Some teams plan their QB succession well, so that an Aaron Rodgers is ready to take over when Brett Favre is out ....... but many teams suffer when their franchise QB ends his run. How did Buffalo do after Jim Kelly left? How about us and Bernie? Miami and Dan Marino? The Broncos plummeted after Elway left until they got Plummer, then he left and they went through Cutler, and Orton, and Tebow ...... without a single winning season .... until last year when Peyton Manning came aboard.

Now some teams can build up their run game and defense to the point where they can win games with a modest level QB ..... but it is much, much harder to take that route than to go find a great QB who makes the rest of his team better.

Where would the Pats be, long term, without Brady? How about the Saints and Brees? The Steelers and Roethlisberger? (and they are probably one of the teams closest to the philosophy you espouse) Would the Colts have won 11 games last year without Luck?

A QB cannot do it all by himself. Obviously he needs some help. However, to dismiss the need for a top quality QB in today's NFL with today's rules is more than a little ridiculous.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/03/13 07:33 AM
Quote:

Jamies Winston has been perfect, just unreal.

Let the records show that I was the first person in the history of the world to use the following phrase:

Wincin for Winston

Thank you and goodnight!
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:20 PM
Quote:

Didn't they go in at 8-8?

It was great that they beat Pittsburgh. In fact, the Steelers were lucky to even be in that game (Broncos were up big), but what happened the next week? Reality check. They were blown out of the water by New England.

I don't think any of us are saying that QB solves everything, but with the way this league has gone with passing schemes and coaching, and now adding in some wrinkles from college offenses, you need to be better than slightly above average there.

You still need to have a very good defense to win. You need other players. Nobody is saying you just get a good QB and you're all of a sudden a contender, because we know that's not true (Stafford)

I'm of the sort that believes the terms "franchise" QB and "elite" QB are not one in the same. I don't think it has to do with SB's either.

I think Jay Cutler is a franchise QB. There's no controversy when training camp starts about who the guy is. He's the man there. But is he elite? I say no.

Romo has been a franchise guy too. Elite? Anyone wanna put that tag on him?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/03/13 01:36 PM
Quote:

I live in Columbia, SC now. I can tell you it was miserable here. It was in the low 90s and the Dew Point was in the 70s. I was sweating sitting in the shade. The air was so thick it was hard to breathe. I couldn't believe the announcers didn't bring that fact up.

They did. The announcers mentioned the heat and humidity several times when talking about the players sort of dragging...
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 05:44 PM
Quote:

Quote:

the best teams in the NFL do not live and die by their QB's. The good teams do, however. This causes many to think that QB's are the end all be all. But at the end of the day they're just another piece.

Wow.

Just because the Pats lucked out and had Cassell have a great season doesn't mean that this can happen elsewhere.

Some teams plan their QB succession well, so that an Aaron Rodgers is ready to take over when Brett Favre is out ....... but many teams suffer when their franchise QB ends his run. How did Buffalo do after Jim Kelly left? How about us and Bernie? Miami and Dan Marino? The Broncos plummeted after Elway left until they got Plummer, then he left and they went through Cutler, and Orton, and Tebow ...... without a single winning season .... until last year when Peyton Manning came aboard.

Now some teams can build up their run game and defense to the point where they can win games with a modest level QB ..... but it is much, much harder to take that route than to go find a great QB who makes the rest of his team better.

Where would the Pats be, long term, without Brady? How about the Saints and Brees? The Steelers and Roethlisberger? (and they are probably one of the teams closest to the philosophy you espouse) Would the Colts have won 11 games last year without Luck?

A QB cannot do it all by himself. Obviously he needs some help. However, to dismiss the need for a top quality QB in today's NFL with today's rules is more than a little ridiculous.

Matt Cassel isn't that good. There's a reason that Brady Quinn started over him, and it's not because RC is a fan of Brady Quinn.

I don't care enough about the Bills to look into that, but after the Browns dropped Bernie, they went 11-5. Then well Broncos only had one losing season after Elway left, and Shanananananana only had two seasons with Jay Cuter, one they went to the playoffs, one 7-9 season, and one 8-8 season. The Dolphins had some really good seasons after Marino left.

Drew Breese is an elite QB, but also have an elite coach, and had some elite players around him. Without Drew that team would probably have gone the same way, but he obviously made the team better.

Pats long term, without Brady, would probably have a better run game. Probably would have a better defense too. After all those defenses won them the first few championships. Unless you think that anyone could hold the Greatest Show on Turf below 20 points.

The Colts have made it clear that they will live and die with their Quarterback.

Look, I get the need of a good QB. However, you don't need a Peyton or a Marino to win championships. And while you think it's easier to find a top 5 QB rather than build a team, please look at the success of teams that don't live and die by their QB, because they're often more successful.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/03/13 08:00 PM
Super Bowl winning Teams, QBs, MVPs:

Feb. 2013: Baltimore, Flacco, Flacco
Feb. 2012: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2011: Packers, Rodgers, Rodgers
Feb 2010: Saints, Brees, Brees
Feb 2009: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2008: Colts P. Manning, P. Manning
Feb 2007: Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger, Ward
Feb 2006: Patriots, Brady, Branch
Feb 2005: Patriots, Brady, Brady
Feb 2004: Bucs, Johnson, Jackson

So ..... in the past 10 Super Bowls, the winning QB was the MVP.

In 7 of 10 Super Bowls, the QB was the MVP. With the changes in passing rules, this isn't a surprise. The NFL wants an exciting, wide open passing game, and they have adjusted their rules to make this happen. They have rewarded teams that have found top end QBs, and those teams with average to below QB play are penalized. (even if they have good running games and defenses)

How many playoff games has Adrian Peterson played in in the course of his first 6 years in the NFL? How many playoff games has his team won?

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him? Charles ran for over 1500 yards last year. How good were the Chefs with their 2 headed monster at QB?

You need a plus level QB to win consistently in today's NFL. The rules are set up to make passing the ball easier, and if you cannot pass the ball, you just don't win. (and yeah, there might be one year examples where a team without stellar QB play makes the playoffs here or there, but generally speaking, the best QB wins.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/03/13 08:15 PM
I think that is the case for the Texans. That team is set up for a deep playoff run, even a SB appearance. Schaub is a nice QB, but if he's a franchise guy, he's barely one, and I don't think he's anywhere near elite.

If they can keep things intact there, I think the guy that replaces Schaub is probably the guy to take them to the big game.

You might even be able to say that for our Browns in a few years, if they keep stockpiling good talent like they have the last couple years.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: College Football - 09/03/13 08:23 PM
Quote:

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him?

Quinn further demonstrated why he is not worthy to be called a NFL starting QB. Go figure that the Jets would pick him up. Good kid and etc, but wow just horrible when behind center. Quinn really, and JMO, should've been packing up his cleats and applying at Walmart.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/03/13 08:25 PM
Why are people arguing with a guy when everyone (probably even him) knows he is wrong?

Next he is going to say water is dry.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/03/13 09:04 PM
Quote:

Look, I get the need of a good QB. However, you don't need a Peyton or a Marino to win championships. And while you think it's easier to find a top 5 QB rather than build a team, please look at the success of teams that don't live and die by their QB, because they're often more successful.

If you are going to compete for and win multiple championships you better have a very good QB.. I'll stop short of saying elite but he better be able to orchestrate some clutch drives when it counts because inevitably he's going to be asked to do that to win a playoff game or two.

Great teams who are consistently at the top are really good in more than one area and QB is usually one of them... and they usually aren't horrible in any areas...
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 09:33 PM
Quote:

Super Bowl winning Teams, QBs, MVPs:

Feb. 2013: Baltimore, Flacco, Flacco
Feb. 2012: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2011: Packers, Rodgers, Rodgers
Feb 2010: Saints, Brees, Brees
Feb 2009: Giants, Manning, Manning
Feb 2008: Colts P. Manning, P. Manning
Feb 2007: Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger, Ward
Feb 2006: Patriots, Brady, Branch
Feb 2005: Patriots, Brady, Brady
Feb 2004: Bucs, Johnson, Jackson

So ..... in the past 10 Super Bowls, the winning QB was the MVP.

In 7 of 10 Super Bowls, the QB was the MVP. With the changes in passing rules, this isn't a surprise. The NFL wants an exciting, wide open passing game, and they have adjusted their rules to make this happen. They have rewarded teams that have found top end QBs, and those teams with average to below QB play are penalized. (even if they have good running games and defenses)

How many playoff games has Adrian Peterson played in in the course of his first 6 years in the NFL? How many playoff games has his team won?

As for your comments about Quinn ..... the reason that Quinn started last year, initially, was the Cassell was hurt IIRC. Then desperation took over, and RAC was trying to make chicken soup out of the crap he had at QB. How did that work for him? Charles ran for over 1500 yards last year. How good were the Chefs with their 2 headed monster at QB?

You need a plus level QB to win consistently in today's NFL. The rules are set up to make passing the ball easier, and if you cannot pass the ball, you just don't win. (and yeah, there might be one year examples where a team without stellar QB play makes the playoffs here or there, but generally speaking, the best QB wins.

I won't deny that within the past 10 years the passing game has gotten OD easy. It still does not make the QB position any more important than the rest of the team. Well, I'll take that back. There are teams that invest everything into the QB position and win and die by it. And the wins are high, but the deaths can be awful too.

Looking at those teams, we can see who built around a QB who built the QB.

Who built the QB: Colts, Saints
Who built the team first: Pats, NY, Ravens, Steelers, Greenbay*
*Truthfully, I'm not sure. They've had their stuff together for so long and I can't even think of their 90's teams, because they were so poorly coached. They should have been to the 90's what the Pats were to the last decade. Holmgren really ruined that team.

Truthfully, using the Vikes and Chiefs are a low shot, because they got no one on defense. But I can say that the Ravens and 49ers have done fine without amazing QBs. Steelers have been fine with Batch (Not SB winning fine, but still very good).

I agree with you. You need a very talented QB to win the superbowl. You also need a very talented RB, WR, O-Line, DE, DT, LB, CB, S, K, P. I think at our point in development, we don't need a Tahj Boyd or a Teddy Bridgewater is needed to be a great football team (But, I'm not going to sit here and act like I wouldn't be praying to every God there is, if it could help us get one), at this point we could do just as successful with a David Fales, Murray*, Kevin Hogan**, or just someone who can make throws but can also be a successful game manager.

*Only counts if he can actually play well vs. a big school this year
**No way he's coming out as he'll be the #1 pick in 2 years if Winston doesn't come out early.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/03/13 10:00 PM
Quote:

*Truthfully, I'm not sure. They've had their stuff together for so long and I can't even think of their 90's teams, because they were so poorly coached. They should have been to the 90's what the Pats were to the last decade. Holmgren really ruined that team.

wow. first unmitigated hatred for Holmgren has shown through in this thread now too. say what you want about his time in Cleveland, but his time in GB was what people strive to be.

remember, GB had losing seasons in 5 of the 6 years before they hired Holmgren, then he did this:

over .500 all 7 seasons
at least 11 wins in the last 4 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:
75-37 (.670) regular season record
9-5 (.643) playoff record
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 10:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

wow. first unmitigated hatred for Holmgren has shown through in this thread now too. say what you want about his time in Cleveland, but his time in GB was what people strive to be.

remember, GB had losing seasons in 5 of the 6 years before they hired Holmgren, then he did this:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

And he should have went to 4.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/03/13 10:22 PM
Quote:

I think you are way over simplifying these debate. The Colts had drafted Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne all +/- a couple years away from taking Manning.... The Saints acquired Brees in FA because he was available... they also had Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth, and some decent players on defense like Will Smith..

Your assumption seems to be that if the Steelers had the #1 pick in 1998, with the dynamic duo of Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak on the roster that they would have passed on Manning to "build the team"... The simple fact is that there aren't that many guys who have that "can't miss" label coming out of college and if you don't already have one, and you have the chance to get one, you take him... I don't care what the rest of your roster looks like.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/03/13 10:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

I cannot wait until a FO/HC finally gets it right here and people are complaining that we didn't beat out teams for the SB like the 1993/94/95 Aikman Dallas Cowboy teams and 1998 Steve Young SF 49ers (those are the ONLY teams he lost to in the NFC playoffs)
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/03/13 11:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think you are way over simplifying these debate. The Colts had drafted Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne all +/- a couple years away from taking Manning.... The Saints acquired Brees in FA because he was available... they also had Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Donte Stallworth, and some decent players on defense like Will Smith..

Your assumption seems to be that if the Steelers had the #1 pick in 1998, with the dynamic duo of Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczak on the roster that they would have passed on Manning to "build the team"... The simple fact is that there aren't that many guys who have that "can't miss" label coming out of college and if you don't already have one, and you have the chance to get one, you take him... I don't care what the rest of your roster looks like.

No, I agree with that. All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 09/03/13 11:42 PM
Quote:

Why are people arguing with a guy when everyone (probably even him) knows he is wrong?

I was thinking the same thing. I think the dude just wants attention. And he is getting plenty of it.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/04/13 12:02 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

over .500 all 7 seasons
2 Superbowl appearances
1 Superbowl win

overall:

I cannot wait until a FO/HC finally gets it right here and people are complaining that we didn't beat out teams for the SB like the 1993/94/95 Aikman Dallas Cowboy teams and 1998 Steve Young SF 49ers (those are the ONLY teams he lost to in the NFC playoffs)

Well hopefully we're complaining about why we're not winning all the championships
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/04/13 05:55 AM
Quote:

All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.

That's just ridiculous.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/04/13 06:04 AM
Quote:

Quote:

All I'm saying is QB is not more or less important than any other position.

That's just ridiculous.

Yep, I agree.

Certain positions are far more important than others. How many $100 million punters do you see on NFL teams? How many $100 million long snappers do you find on NFL teams? If all positions are the same as far as importance, then they would be paid the same as well.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/04/13 06:09 AM
and OGs and FSs would go in the top 5 of the draft in the same percentage as QBs...
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/04/13 06:39 AM
Quote:

and OGs and FSs would go in the top 5 of the draft in the same percentage as QBs...

I think this has more to do with talent of these positions, a long with holes, and importance thought on QB's being quick fixes.

I'm also starting to feel bad about dereailing the thread so horribly with my ideas, and this will be my last post on the subject. If you want to continue this in PM, then feel free and I'll respond. However, as a final point, I'd just like to say the Coach is the most important thing on the field.

Now who wants to talk about how my boy, Duke Johnson, is going to run past Florida that he'll end up lapping that entire team?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/04/13 07:55 AM
The best, most talented FB in the world is not going to go #1 overall in any draft.(today's version of the FB) Ever. The value, and ability to help the team win is just not there. Even RBs are devalued in today's passing league. The best FB in the world is not going to bring a $100 million deal.

I understand that all players have value to their teams, bt to suggest that all positions are equal if to disregard the realities of the NFL. A great QB is worth more than any other position. Do you think that the Colts would have won 11 games if they had not taken Luck, and had played the year with .... say ...... Kellen Clemons?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/04/13 12:30 PM
Quote:

and this will be my last post on the subject.

And I will respect that as I don't think we are ever going to agree... and it's not that important that we do any way.

Quote:

Now who wants to talk about how my boy, Duke Johnson, is going to run past Florida that he'll end up lapping that entire team?

Nah, let's talk about the #5 rated QB in the country after week 1... CJ Brown from Maryland who was 20-23 for 281 yards and 3 TDs.. and ran 11 times for 105 yards and 2 TDs...

And the way the schedule sets up, they should be 4-0 when they beat Florida State and 7-0 when they play Clemson.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/07/13 07:40 PM
jc

Stephen Morris makes me so upset, because at times he looks like the complete package and at other times he can look so bad. But it still was an impressive win by The U.
Posted By: jfanent Re: College Football - 09/07/13 07:45 PM
jc Braxton Miller down....helmet knocked off and he's holding his head. This doesn't look good.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 09/07/13 07:52 PM
Hopefully just a mcl sprain - minor in terms of what can get hurt on the knee....

The Florida/Miami game was pretty good! Florida with way too many turnovers!
Posted By: jfanent Re: College Football - 09/07/13 07:59 PM
Good news about Miller. This SDSU qb is awful. He's missing open receivers by a mile. I realize there's pressure, but he's not even close. Kind of sad that Brian Sipe is their qb coach.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/07/13 08:02 PM
I love Kenny Guiton. We are lucky at the QB spot.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 09/07/13 08:07 PM
Quote:

I love Kenny Guiton. We are lucky at the QB spot.

Very - glad we have a good back up!
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/07/13 08:59 PM
No idea why Hall and Smith switched #s. This is confusing as hell.
Posted By: 214dawg Re: College Football - 09/07/13 09:02 PM
During the broadcast they mentioned its because of special teams. I think it's so Rod Smith and Christian Bryant can both play special teams (both were wearing #2).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/07/13 09:06 PM
j/c

I don't know if anyone saw it, but the QB from Cincy had one of the more gruesome leg injuries I've seen in a while. I hope he recovers properly.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/07/13 11:57 PM
jc

Not sure if I saw it right, but did Aaron Murray just win a big game and put up really impressive numbers against a good team?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/08/13 12:36 AM
Yes he did. I was impressed with Georgia today. I was pulling for them after the loss last week to be honest. Plus, I'm already tired of hearing about Clowney.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 09/08/13 12:59 AM
Braxton Miller should change his name to Nordberg ... sh - I mean, stuff, just happens to him all the time.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 01:06 AM
The Georgia win today makes the Clemson win last week look even more impressive. I could see them start to climb even higher in the polls each week if the teams above them have sloppy games.

I am already looking forward to the Clemson vs Florida State game later this season.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 01:19 AM
LSU is looking really strong this year. Zach Metzenburger looks to have really improved from last season. The Tigers always run the ball well and play good defense the QB play was the missing link last season. Alabama will have their hands full with the Tigers if he continues to play like he has these first 2 weeks.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/08/13 01:35 AM
Quote:

The Georgia win today makes the Clemson win last week look even more impressive. I could see them start to climb even higher in the polls each week if the teams above them have sloppy games.

I am already looking forward to the Clemson vs Florida State game later this season.

Florida State will have already lost to Maryland by then...

When is the last time that in week 2, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina had all lost a game already? Props to the ACC for knocking off 2 top 10 SEC teams...
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 01:52 AM
I haven't had a chance to see Maryland play yet this year, I watched Florida State and they have unreal talent at the skill positions. If Maryland is that good then the ACC will be pretty awesome this season. Idid watch the Florida vs Miami game today. Florida whipped them up and down the field except in the red zone. The Gators need better QB play.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 02:15 AM

Never thought I'd see someone make Brent look like a spokesman for sobriety.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/08/13 02:25 AM
haha i was literally just going to mention that ... one of the strangest interviews I've witnessed ... just odd
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 02:36 AM
Katherine Webb feels relieved that Brent isn't awkward just about her
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/08/13 02:41 AM
Quote:

Katherine Webb feels relieved that Brent isn't awkward just about her

Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 03:00 AM
Devin Gardner must have been sipping from the same cup as Eminem.
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 03:07 AM
Quote:

Devin Gardner must have been sipping from the same cup as Eminem.

No kidding. That was just bizarre. What was he thinking?

On a side note, this is the first time in my life I have ever rooted for ND in this game. Michigan fans have been absolutely obnoxious this year towards Buckeye fans. Growing up in Toledo, I have a lot of friends who are Michigan fans, and the amount of crap I've seen come across Facebook from them is monumental. I've saved every message of smack I have received from them and hope to be able to throw it back in their faces late in the day on November 30th
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 03:33 AM
Was that Steve Everitt celebrating the TD on the Michigan sideline?
Posted By: cle23 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 04:06 AM
Yes. He is there quite a bit.
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 04:28 AM
Mack Brown needs to retire. Byu rushes for 550 yds tonight. Talk about a program that has hit hard times.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 09/08/13 04:49 AM
Quote:

jc

Not sure if I saw it right, but did Aaron Murray just win a big game and put up really impressive numbers against a good team?

Yes, hes 1-9 against top 10 teams and just beat a #11 ranked team. He looked good to. I remember Brady Quinn couldn't win big games and had to have his teammates pull some stuff out of their butts to help him come from behind against lesser teams. Im comparing the two because come draft time, it will be said about both that they cant win big games. But I never liked what I saw from Quinn and already like what I see from Murray. Murray will be picked maybe 2 rounds later than Quinn but have a way better career. I think it would make since for Cle, KC, Jax, Minn, and Tenn to all take a look at him to start 3 years from now.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 09/08/13 05:07 AM
For those who think the Browns need depth at ILB, keep an eye on Miami's #52 Denzell Perryman. He is only a Jr. but he plays both OLB and MLB. He is listed as the teams OLB, but has started at MLB as a So. He is listed at 6'0 and 252.

He might not even come out this year but when I was watching the Miami- Florida game, watching him made me think he could be a future player at ILB and selected in rounds 2-4.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 06:46 AM
I think the real sleeper at ILB is going to be Andrew Jackson. He gets a lot of comparison to Ray Lewis, mainly because they're from the same hometown, but most of the comparisons aren't unfounded, as dude will try to obliterate everything he sees. He just doesn't go for the kill when making tackles, he's trying to wipe your existence out of the universe. Nasty man right there.

I still think C.J. Mosely is the best bet at ILB for us. Just because he can do it all, he's silky smooth.and looks to be one of the best LBers that Bama has ever made. Unfortunately Bama doesn't have the best track record for LBers in the pros.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/08/13 08:47 AM
Quote:

For those who think the Browns need depth at ILB, keep an eye on Miami's #52 Denzell Perryman. He is only a Jr. but he plays both OLB and MLB. He is listed as the teams OLB, but has started at MLB as a So. He is listed at 6'0 and 252.

He might not even come out this year but when I was watching the Miami- Florida game, watching him made me think he could be a future player at ILB and selected in rounds 2-4.

That is funny that I saw you say this because I literally had the same thoughts when I watched him play. Man, he is all over the field, has great make up speed, and is really good in pass coverage. He would be ideal in Horton's 3-4 as an ILB IMO. He is very impressive ... great minds think alike
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 09/08/13 04:26 PM
Lane Kiffin is horrible.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 04:28 PM
He's a So. so a few more years for him.
Posted By: DoverDawg Re: College Football - 09/08/13 11:37 PM
Quote:

Mack Brown needs to retire. Byu rushes for 550 yds tonight. Talk about a program that has hit hard times.

Haven't people been saying this for quite some time?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/09/13 03:24 AM
j/c

my weekend thoughts:

ACC is strong this year. I consider the ACC to include Louisville (and not Maryland) as that is where those teams are going to land soon. Really good for them this year so far.

conversely, BigXII is terrible this year. Outside of Baylor, all the teams have looked pretty weak this year and we don't know about Baylor yet. OU should be able to roll a team like WVU who seems to be terrible this year. Ugly start to the year for them.

Big10 is a bit better than the past couple years, but not enough. OSU, Michigan, NW, and Nebraska (well, maybe) look capable enough. MichSt. and PSU behind them. And, not sure where that came from with the Illini.

also, Gardner actually looked like a QB in that game. he had his miscues, but alot of those passes were laser accurate and leading the WRs open.

Pac12 hasn't changed. Stanford, Oregon and everybody else.

love how the SEC smartly scattered intriguing conference games the first few weeks. other conferences should copy that plan. they still have 6 very, very good teams though we'll see what happens as Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Stanford, and Oregon all look plenty capable of beating any of them (or losing --- just saying they are catching up in that arms race).
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 09/09/13 03:47 AM
I think Oklahoma State probably wins the big 12. I fully expect Mack Brown to retire at years end. The game has passed him by just like it did John Cooper. Even Bob Stoops has lost some his luster. Not too long ago he was the top coach in the game. Use to win every big game, now he can't win any of them.

The best two teams I've seen are Oregon and Florida State. I don't think bama 3 peats. They lost too much on the line, I could see them losing Saturday. Lsu is the best team in the sec. Their Qb has improved so much over last year.

My top 5
Oregon
Florida State
Lsu
Ohio State
Alabama
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/09/13 03:49 AM
we better get a further report on Miller before even inferring OSU in the top5. and, even then, I'm not so sure they are there.
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 09/09/13 03:56 AM
I agree. Their schedule is so incredibly easy, it's hard not to imagine them going at least 11-1. I think MIchigan is the only game they could lose.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/09/13 04:11 AM
Quote:

I agree. Their schedule is so incredibly easy, it's hard not to imagine them going at least 11-1. I think MIchigan is the only game they could lose.

Wisconsin always plays us tough.

Then, the week after the Badgers we visit the team that might be the best team in the Big10 this year. Yeah, no joke, NW looks pretty good (I "think" the Buckeyes and Wolverines are better, but I'm not sure yet is all and I think that will be a tough game).
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 09/10/13 12:24 AM
Quote:

j/c

my weekend thoughts:

ACC is strong this year. I consider the ACC to include Louisville (and not Maryland) as that is where those teams are going to land soon. Really good for them this year so far.

conversely, BigXII is terrible this year. Outside of Baylor, all the teams have looked pretty weak this year and we don't know about Baylor yet. OU should be able to roll a team like WVU who seems to be terrible this year. Ugly start to the year for them.

Big10 is a bit better than the past couple years, but not enough. OSU, Michigan, NW, and Nebraska (well, maybe) look capable enough. MichSt. and PSU behind them. And, not sure where that came from with the Illini.

also, Gardner actually looked like a QB in that game. he had his miscues, but alot of those passes were laser accurate and leading the WRs open.

Pac12 hasn't changed. Stanford, Oregon and everybody else.

love how the SEC smartly scattered intriguing conference games the first few weeks. other conferences should copy that plan. they still have 6 very, very good teams though we'll see what happens as Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Stanford, and Oregon all look plenty capable of beating any of them (or losing --- just saying they are catching up in that arms race).

Great post. I agree with your opservations. The ACC has some very togh teams. If Louisville were in that conference this season it would be quite compelling.

This could be the year that the SEC does not win the championship. With that said Nick Saban's team is still very talented and will get better every game. He is that good of a coach. I loved him as a coach back when he was the Browns Defensive Coordinator. I think they will beat A&M this weekend but if Metzenburger keeps playing the way he is LSU will be a war again. Bama is at home this year also.

Georgia will still be a team to be heard from this year. Props to them for having the guts to start their season will 2 top 10 teams Clemson and South Carolina. That kind of early schedule could pay big dividends for them later this season if this year turns into a year of upsets.

It looks right now that the biggest games of the regular season will be.

Clemson vs Florida State
Lsu vs Alabama
Oregon vs Stanford
Ohio State vs Michigan - This game could be sooo good they will play it 2 weeks in a row.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/10/13 12:25 PM
I am of the firm opinion that Louisville is not that much better than Maryland this year. Louisville is going to feast on an almost comically easy schedule and shouldn't lose a game while Maryland has to play WVU, Florida State, Clemson, a VaTech team that shut down Alabama's offense... so I doubt Maryland will finish as high as Louisville but in a head to head match-up, I think Maryland could hold their own.

And yes, the rest of the ACC is in a pretty good place right now.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/10/13 01:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Wisconsin always plays us tough.

Then, the week after the Badgers we visit the team that might be the best team in the Big10 this year. Yeah, no joke, NW looks pretty good (I "think" the Buckeyes and Wolverines are better, but I'm not sure yet is all and I think that will be a tough game).

Northwestern is legit. I don't know about best team in the Big Ten, but I think they are a legitimate top 25 ranked team. They're well coached, and disciplined. I think Pat Fitzgerald is there for the long haul as well. I hope so because he's good for the conference. I've kept an eye on them the last few years and you could see it coming.

They're also trying to combat other fans filling up their stadium for games. You currently have to bid on tickets for OSU or UM. You can't just buy single game tickets, although if you have the extra money, the season ticket package is just a little bit more. I thought about it. Maybe if I had an immediate buyer for the Michigan game.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/10/13 02:42 PM
DC, more power to you for your belief in your team. And, yes, Louisville's schedule is ridiculous (though don't put WVU in your argument as I think they are terrible this year).

It comes down to your QB and your defense in college though and the Cardinals have Bridgewater. That certainly helps matters a ton. And, I really, really want an Orange Bowl with Clemson v. Louisville so hopefully we can see how good they are.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/10/13 04:24 PM
Quote:

And, yes, Louisville's schedule is ridiculous (though don't put WVU in your argument as I think they are terrible this year).

Yea, WVU is hard to figure this year.. squeaked out a 7 point win over William and Mary, then hung tough with Oklahoma... who knows.

Quote:

It comes down to your QB and your defense in college though and the Cardinals have Bridgewater.

Neither L'ville or Maryland has played anybody of any consequence yet but through 2 games...

Bridgewater - 46/60, 752 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT, Long 54, 2 rushes for 0 yards

CJ Brown - 34/45, 556 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, Long 66, 15 rushes for 130 yards and 4 TDs

But Brown is never going to have the passing numbers Bridgewater has because in 2 40 point wins, Louisville has still thrown the ball as often as they run it, Maryland in 2 30 point wins has run it 30 more times than they have thrown it... and they have scored 6 of their TDs on the ground (4 by the QB).. L'ville has scored 90 points in 2 games and has 2 rushing TDs...

I'm not saying Bridgewater isn't the real deal, I just don't believe Louisville would be a top 10 team in a real conference...
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/10/13 04:50 PM
This is my "overreaction mock draft." Yes, it's not the day after a Browns game without talking draft I'm hoping that we sign a #2 CB in free agency, which is why I don't have us drafting one. I also want to see how our safeties perform. None of them got beat deep and they did a tremendous job on Mike Wallace.

1. Tahj Boyd, QB, Clemson
2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
3. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
3. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
4. Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama
4. Lamarcus Joyner, FS, Florida State
5. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
6. Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue
7. Nickoe Whitley, FS, Mississippi State
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/10/13 05:33 PM
Quote:

This is my "overreaction mock draft." Yes, it's not the day after a Browns game without talking draft I'm hoping that we sign a #2 CB in free agency, which is why I don't have us drafting one. I also want to see how our safeties perform. None of them got beat deep and they did a tremendous job on Mike Wallace.

That kinda draft would fill some immediate glaring weaknesses.
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: College Football - 09/10/13 05:38 PM
Bridgewater will be a Cleveland Brown next year, take it to the bank.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/10/13 07:26 PM
Quote:

Quote:

That kinda draft would fill some immediate glaring weaknesses.

Sad thing is, we have been back for 14 years and we are still hoping to fill about 5 starting positions with rookies... and possibly a few others with free agents... our theme song should be "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/10/13 08:32 PM
Quote:

I just don't believe Louisville would be a top 10 team in a real conference...

and I'm not so sure about that one. I think they should be somewhere in the 8-12 range, but it would depend on which "real" conference you put them in.

they controlled Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl (and they had a phenomenal defense). since 5 SEC teams get to be in the top10, they would have to be outside the top5 in the SEC. This season, I'd have them roughly in the same neighborhood as Georgia and South Carolina and A&M and ahead of Florida. Behind LSU and Bama.

in the ACC, I'd have them right with FSU and Clemson. Ahead of Miami.

in the Big10, they'd be right up there with everybody.

in the Pac12, they'd be just behind Oregon, Stanford.

in the BigXII, they'd likely run away with it this year (unless Baylor is for real).

overall, this is where I think teams rank (tiers not ordered):

elite
Bama, LSU, Oregon, Stanford

could become elite by end of year
FSU, Clemson, South Carolina, A&M, Louisville, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia

very good teams
Miami, Florida, NW

maybe?
OkieState, OU, UCLA, ND
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/10/13 08:38 PM
Quote:

and I'm not so sure about that one. I think they should be somewhere in the 8-12 range, but it would depend on which "real" conference you put them in.

they controlled Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl (and they had a phenomenal defense).

I tend to not put 100% faith in what I see in these bowls because of the extended layoff and the fact that some of the bigger schools just aren't up for it if its not the NC game... going by bowl games, Boise State was a top 5 team for a while... It's completely different when you have to play that caliber of team week in and week out, some on the road... playing one a year on a neutral field 6 weeks after the season ended isn't a great barometer.

I just think if they had to play FSU, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, VA Tech or OSU, Michigan, Northwestern, or Alabama, LSU, USC, Georgia... that there is no way they would make it through any of those conference without at least a couple losses....

Like I said, I think they are a very good team, just not elite and using your measure, I'd put them closer to 12-15... which is where teams with 2 losses that aren't in the SEC usually go.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 09/10/13 09:27 PM
it's a fair point on the bowls (though the Cardinals had a slightly more difficult slate of games last year than they do this season though still not tough).

and we're not far off in our assessments in them anyway.

as for Maryland, I'm interested in what they do Oct. 5th. they 'should' be undefeated going to Tallahasee. I'd love for the future Big10 team to ruin the ACC's hope for an undefeated FSU v. Clemson game, but that is going to be an awfully tall ask.
Posted By: Squires Re: College Football - 09/26/13 03:29 PM
jc

Wisconsin vs Arizona State from a 2 weeks ago.

Personally, I'm not too customed with the differences in rules between college and NFL. I'm curious what you gurus think on this play.

The QB put the ball down on the field and didn't take a knee, I would think that would be a fumble. That would be why the Arizona player jumped on the ball.

If he was considered down by doing that and Arizona jumped on the ball, then that probably should have been a delay of game. In either case, it seems like the refs really screwed this one up.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/26/13 03:57 PM
He actually did take a knee. There's a screenshot going around from behind the play which shows his knee down. I think that's irrelevant because whistles blew the play dead.

Horrible job by the refs. Should have stopped the clock while the ASU player was covering the ball. Wisconsin was robbed, and this is coming from one of their biggest haters.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 09/26/13 05:42 PM
Quote:

as for Maryland, I'm interested in what they do Oct. 5th. they 'should' be undefeated going to Tallahasee.

They are still undefeated after a rather convincing win over WVU... granted this is NOT the BCS contending WVU team from a couple years ago but beating WVU 37-0 is still a good sign.

Quote:

I'd love for the future Big10 team to ruin the ACC's hope for an undefeated FSU v. Clemson game, but that is going to be an awfully tall ask.

Yea, beating either of them is a tall task, beating both of them is an extremely tall task. However I will say that the schedule sets up well. Maryland is off this week so they will get FSU after 2 weeks of rest/preparation... then they play Clemson the week after Clemson plays FSU... and Clemson has been known to succumb to hangovers and lose games they shouldn't.. though I'm pretty sure if Maryland is 7-0, or even 6-1 going into the Clemson game, that Clemson won't be overlooking them..

By the way, did you see the unis the Terps wore against WVU? They were awesome....

And on that same note, did you see the unis VaTech is wearing this week? web page For those who don't know, almost the entire campus is made of those giant stones so they made that the helmet... I can't imagine any jokes that could come from having a helmet that looks like a rock wall... I wonder if they have matching "stone gloves"?.. .Greg Little could wear a pair.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 09/27/13 02:33 AM
Quote:

He actually did take a knee. There's a screenshot going around from behind the play which shows his knee down. I think that's irrelevant because whistles blew the play dead.

Horrible job by the refs. Should have stopped the clock while the ASU player was covering the ball. Wisconsin was robbed, and this is coming from one of their biggest haters.

I hate Wisconsin as well and thought they got robbed as well - I really can't figure out what the refs were doing but really the Wisconsin players needed to get up and at least attempt to spike the ball even if the refs were screwing around

Just a really weird ending
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/27/13 05:24 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I hate Wisconsin as well and thought they got robbed as well - I really can't figure out what the refs were doing but really the Wisconsin players needed to get up and at least attempt to spike the ball even if the refs were screwing around

Just a really weird ending

Yeah there was no urgency while all that was going on, I'd assume they didn't know the clock was running.

I would have gotten more enjoyment out of that had Bielema still been the coach.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/27/13 06:58 PM
Tribe/Twins 1EST, Oklahoma/ND 3:30, LSU/UGA 3:30, Miss/Bama 6:30, UW/OSU 8

So basically I have no reason to even put on pants tomorrow.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/28/13 03:39 PM
Blake Bortles is a really interesting guy to watch. He plays South Carolina.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: College Football - 09/28/13 07:40 PM
Did Morris get hurt vs South Florida? I really like his arm.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 09/29/13 01:00 AM
TJ Yeldon is sooooo much better than Trent. However I think he's gonna have a shorter career.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 09/29/13 03:34 AM
Buckeyes win their showdown with Wisconsin as Urban Meyer goes to 17-0 at OSU.
Posted By: 4thandPunt Re: College Football - 09/29/13 06:42 AM
The Buckeyes were the better team and it was a nice win, but as far as NFL talent is concerned, the guys who really shined were on the other side of the field.

Abbrederis made Roby his expletive tonight and may have pushed himself into the first round, and that LB Borland looked really legit, probably at least a second rounder if not a late first.

The frustrating thing is that Borland is from Kettering, he should have been wearing scarlet and gray. Tress screwed the pooch on that one.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 09/29/13 12:08 PM
Lane Kiffin fired ... if he gets another top job I'll be stunned

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-f...rt-blowout-loss
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 09/29/13 01:29 PM
Nice win for the Buckeyes.

I am not thrilled w/Herman as our OC. He's been better this year, but he was relying on Miller running the ball in the second half. It really ruined our continuity and made us bog down quite a bit.

Great job by the run defense, but the pass defense was exposed. It would have been smarter to play more zone in the game. I get why we played man.....it helped the run defense, but there were too many open receivers for Wisconsin.

Nevertheless, good win for Ohio State and next week's game is huge.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 09/29/13 01:45 PM
Hyde should have seen more carries.

Losing Bryant for the year absolutely blows.

I am a little worried about next week.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: College Football - 09/29/13 03:03 PM
A win is a win , unless you are talking Bowl points .. On that score The OU didn't get it done .. Sat on the ball and played the clock all most all the second half .. Very disappointing to me ! Be surprise if we stay at #4 in the polls ..
Posted By: legalizewd Re: College Football - 10/03/13 02:48 PM
Quote:

Abbrederis made Roby his expletive tonight and may have pushed himself into the first round, and that LB Borland looked really legit, probably at least a second rounder if not a late first.

I wouldn't mind having one of those players on the Browns with a 2nd round pick.

Abbrederis would be an upgrade over former 2nd rounder WR Little, could start immediately and move Bess back to 3rd WR. I think he will be a better WR than fellow Big 10 WR Decker who now plays with Manning in Denver.

Borland would be a big addition to an already strong front seven and a good selection. I know its not a must need considering Robertson was playing decent but again, he would be an upgrade and would provide depth. The ILB backups are young and inexperienced. The Browns current FO will take the BPA instead of need. Evident in selecting Mingo when they moved Sheard to OLB and brought in OLBs Groves and Krueger.

Roby played well once he returned against lesser talented teams but was owned by Abbrederis in man coverage. He is a top CB prospect and the WR showed he can play against some of the top college CBs. I would still take Roby with a late 1st rounder. Maybe the Indy pick.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/04/13 10:00 PM
I'd love to get Carlos Hyde in the 6th round. He's very similar to Willis except faster.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/05/13 02:02 AM
Northwestern is going to be our toughest challenge all year IMO. A pass happy team playing the biggest game in school history. Weather is gonna suck too.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/05/13 07:17 PM
Hey DC, sorry man

yikes.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: College Football - 10/05/13 08:33 PM
I have liked the football I have seen played by Northwestern for the last 4 or 5 years. When I see their games, or snipets of them, I see things that I think all football teams should be doing when they are doing great.
A lot of interceptions. Doing the right things in the offense to mix it up and get various people involved. Getting positive plays out of running and passing and using long and short attacks and being all over the field.

Northwestern doesn't get to play Ohio State every year, only sometimes do they play.
The Big 10 conference, as of a couple years ago, had at least 1 bowl victory over an Sec conference team for 8 years running, and no other conference could say that. Last year, or maybe 2 seasons ago, Northwestern's win over I think Vanderbilt, or somebody was the only one to keep that streak going.

Two weeks ago I heard some announcer say Northwestern leads the Nation in interceptions.

Northwestern has a team good enough to beat Ohio State, they will be as motivated as a team can be, with a chance to knock off these blowhard top ranked, with this winning streak so often mentioned even though it didn't include any bowl win, that Ohio state has being the longest in College football division one.

I give Ohio State about a 33% chance to get a win in tonight's game.

And it is only that high, because I really feel Ohio State is the better football team.

But Northwestern is Soo Funn to Watch!
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/05/13 09:52 PM
Northwestern has only beaten OSU once in the last 30 tries I believe.... I'd give OSU more than 33%

I think NW comes out on fire but if OSU can handle the initial onslaught I think they'll be alright... Should be a great game either way

I'm so sick of espn playing up now though because of all the announcers they have who have graduated from there
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: College Football - 10/05/13 11:56 PM
Our pass defense is suspect, if not below average. I see us winning 45-41
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:01 AM
Buckeyes can't afford to screw around with Northwestern tonight. Protect the ball then ground and pound.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:37 AM
Quote:

Buckeyes can't afford to screw around with Northwestern tonight. Protect the ball then ground and pound.

Ain't that the truth!
Posted By: The Collector Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:45 AM
Special Teams coming up big...

Love that stuff.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:48 AM
Sounds like a bowl game there - the fans have to be half and half
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:56 AM
Luke Fickell has been terrible for 3 years and gets by on having 5 star athletes.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:03 AM
I love miller but I wish Kenny would have taught him how to throw the long ball....
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:13 AM
Why do more and more football teams run soft press?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:20 AM
I was just saying this too. We're giving NW recivers WAY too much room right now. It is pitch and catch.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:24 AM
That's a strange and very risky move to fake punt it right there. Wow.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:27 AM
Braxton Miller looks terrified right now. I don't know if he's still banged up, but he absolutely refuses to run right now.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:31 AM
Quote:

Braxton Miller looks terrified right now. I don't know if he's still banged up, but he absolutely refuses to run right now.

Agreed. I'm NEVER the one to say "let's switch QB's" when a team struggles ... but, maybe let's switch QB's?

Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:47 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. I'm NEVER the one to say "let's switch QB's" when a team struggles ... but, maybe let's switch QB's?

Agree 100%
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:14 AM
too much of the offense goes through Braxton Miller when he is in the game.
It's predictable and one dimensional. He has been hindering the team for weeks.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:21 AM
Miller better get his damn act together... I'mr eady to see Kenny.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:23 AM
that fumble really hurts our chances
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:24 AM
Quote:

that fumble really hurts our chances

the two fumbles and countless over-throws have killed us tonight - he just looks a little off tonight.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:26 AM
man we needed that - gotta get it together Buckeyes!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:27 AM
Hyde is taking a beating but running VERY hard ... maybe the hardest I've seen him run.

The d needs to put the clamps down now.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:30 AM
Would be nice to get a turnover ourselves here!
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:41 AM
gotta admit... knew this game was gonne be close and so far it's been a pretty good game... really though the turnovers have killed us... but that is northwestern's bread and butter this year

hope we cna turn it up this quarter!
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 02:45 AM
This has to be one of the best games Hyde has ever had
Posted By: The Collector Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:00 AM
That was an amazing TD...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:00 AM
That has to be a football first.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:02 AM
Quote:

That was an amazing TD...

I was surprised they called him down when it was live... thought for sure he got in but then when they ruled him down I figured it was just the camera angle.... keep feeding Hyde!

And let's go defense!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:08 AM
And the defense goes "splat".
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:09 AM
There had been 5 lead changes by the time 13 minutes were to go in the 2nd quarter. There are two more.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:14 AM
Great job by Miller on that play. Nicely done for a huge gain.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:16 AM
I gotta say, Miller is ding a nice job faking out the defense.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:16 AM
And back we go in front. TD Buckeyes!
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:20 AM
I wish we'd just kick it out of the back of the endzone... horrible coverage there
Posted By: The Collector Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:28 AM
OSU might win the game on Inconclusive evidence,

Respect for Hyde... dude looks utterly beat up.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:34 AM
man... two weeks in a row that these games have been way too stinking close... FINISH IT OFF BUCKEYES!
Posted By: Fox&Hound7 Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:38 AM
Carlos Hyde = One dude you don't wanna mess with!
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:39 AM
Man what a game... so many mistakes... but what a game by Hyde! And defense finally showed up in the second half!
Posted By: HurricaneDawg Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:40 AM
Vegas can't be happy with the final play... Ohio State was favored by 5.5.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:40 AM
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing on that play!!
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:44 AM
Quote:

There might be a few on this very site that might be banging their heads against the wall too.

Heck, even the announcers were talking about it too. And that rarely happens.

Good game though. Lots of fun.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:46 AM
In College they just don't care?

Hypothetically, if OHio state had been down by 7 and recovered that fumble in the end zone, from the hook an lateral as time clicked to 0, they would have been allowed to kick the extra point. In the NFL they would have been allowed to kick the extra point.

But in College; they just don't care.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:55 AM
No problem. We won it going away. Nice 10 point win. LOL

Whew, that was closer than it probably had to be. The first half was anemic and ugly. Luckily we got stuff straightened out some in the 2nd half.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/06/13 04:29 AM
Quote:

In College they just don't care?

Hypothetically, if OHio state had been down by 7 and recovered that fumble in the end zone, from the hook an lateral as time clicked to 0, they would have been allowed to kick the extra point. In the NFL they would have been allowed to kick the extra point.

But in College; they just don't care.

I got completely screwed on a play like that a few years ago in that wild Texas/Texas Tech. I think it was Michael Crabtree who scored with no time left and the crowd stormed the field, I think the total would have gone over. It was a half point total too so it wasn't even a push.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 10/06/13 12:23 PM
Some observations:

--Miller is the superior athlete, but I think the team plays better w/Guiton. He is smarter. He gets rid of it quicker. He sees the field better. Other guys get to showcase their talents more. With Miller in, we become the Braxton Miller Show.

--I agree w/those who complained about the soft coverage. It's way too easy for opposing QBs and WRs.

--Hyde ran very hard. He was exhausted. We got some well-timed stoppages of play to give him short breathers. I wonder how long he can last taking that many hits, though?

--Losing Bryant was big. Pittsburgh Brown is pretty bad at safety.

--I like that #63 guy. He could end up being very, very good.

--We need other teams to lose. I doubt if we are gathering many style points.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 10/06/13 01:09 PM
Quote:

We need other teams to lose. I doubt if we are gathering many style points.

#3 Clemson still has to play three ranked teams; FSU, South Carolina, and Maryland. #2 Oregon also still has three ranked teams on their schedule; Stanford, UCLA, and Wash St. There's a decent chance they each finish with one loss. Alabama only plays one ranked team the rest of the way - LSU. OSU has one ranked team left, UM, so we could easily see an OSU - Alabama BCS Championship game.

I have to admit though, Alabama and Oregon appear to be the two best teams.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: College Football - 10/06/13 03:30 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We need other teams to lose. I doubt if we are gathering many style points.

#3 Clemson still has to play three ranked teams; FSU, South Carolina, and Maryland. #2 Oregon also still has three ranked teams on their schedule; Stanford, UCLA, and Wash St. There's a decent chance they each finish with one loss. Alabama only plays one ranked team the rest of the way - LSU. OSU has one ranked team left, UM, so we could easily see an OSU - Alabama BCS Championship game.

I have to admit though, Alabama and Oregon appear to be the two best teams.

Too bad the NCAA playoffs did not start this season. There could actually be 4 very good undefeated teams this season and that would make for some awesome playoff match ups.

I know there are always surprise games for every team to survive but at this time the biggest games on this years schedule that will go a long way to determine who plays for the BCS Championship.

OSU vs Michigan. ( maybe twice in the Big Ten title game) That would actually be the best scenerio for both of those 2 teams. If both are undefeated when they play each other and then meet again a week later it will be an overhyped game and if one team sweeps the other that team can make a storng case.

Florida State at Clemson. Clemson already holds the most impressive victory on the season with their win over Georgia. If the Bulldogs keep winning and play in the SEC Championship game and possibly win it the Florida State Clemson winner if undefeated will have a very strong argument for them. By the way the frshman QB of Florida State is an amazing talent and getting better.

Alabama vs LSU and the SEC Championship games. Let's face it if Bama wins all of their games they are a shoe in for the BCS title game. The Georgia Bulldogs looked like a team capable of playing spoiler to end the SEC reign of dominance after losing in week 1 but with their injuries I don't think they could beat Bama anymore but LSU who Georgia beat might be able to.

Oregon at Stanford. The Pac 12 has been getting quite a bit of buzz about challenging the SEC for the best overall conference in college football. If the winner of this game is undefeated at the end of the year they also will have a strong arguement. Oregon's offense will make them a very sexy pick for the pollsters.

Should be a very exciting season with alot of great games to be played yet.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 10/06/13 04:31 PM
Quote:

--Miller is the superior athlete, but I think the team plays better w/Guiton. He is smarter. He gets rid of it quicker. He sees the field better. Other guys get to showcase their talents more. With Miller in, we become the Braxton Miller Show.

Urban Meyer was quoted as saying he nearly replaced Miller with Guiton after Miller missed a wide open receiver for a TD. I wonder if he's considering a situational rotation at QB like he did with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow at Florida in 2006? The bye week would be a good time to work on it, if he is. I don't know if Miller is still hurting or what, but he looks like he's playing scared.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/06/13 04:59 PM
I would agree with that ... until the end of the game. Those last couple of drive by Miller were nicely done. I loved the way he ran up to the line, then hit the receiver down the field when the defender committed. That was beautiful.

I did love the way that Guiton played while Miller was out. The competition wasn't the same level, but man, he sure seemed to do a nice job with his decision making and ball placement.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/07/13 04:09 PM
Quote:

Hey DC, sorry man

yikes.

It was embarrassing.. FSU is not THAT good and Maryland is not THAT bad.. Maryland quit, I mean in the first quarter they just rolled over and stopped fighting faster than a $2 whore. I've never seen a team with less heart than what Maryland showed on Saturday.

It was going to have almost no impact on the outcome, but the late hit by the FSU linebacker, with the crown of his helmet, on Marylands QB that wasn't flagged was an absolute joke. If that happened in the NFL, he would be getting his fine notice in the mail today and it didn't even draw a flag.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: College Football - 10/07/13 04:23 PM
I am impressed that there was a late play in that game and you were still watching. Cleveland sports have prepared you well.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/07/13 05:42 PM
Quote:

I am impressed that there was a late play in that game and you were still watching. Cleveland sports have prepared you well.

Late? The late hit/spearing/targeting play happened in the second quarter.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/07/13 07:22 PM
On a different note, I heard that the line on the OSU game was 6 points and when they recovered that fumble for the late TD, over $100 million changed hands... but remember, amateur sports is pure and it's all about the student athletes.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: College Football - 10/07/13 07:23 PM
Scott Van Pelt keeps saying things today about how Florida State "squeaked past" Maryland Saturday
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: College Football - 10/07/13 07:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:

... Yeah, so it was already well into garbage time by then.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: College Football - 10/07/13 07:26 PM
But isn't that Vegas's fault for having a faulty line? If more than 50% were riding OSU, they should have moved the line to get more NW bets in.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/07/13 08:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was garbage time when it was 7-0...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/07/13 08:11 PM
Quote:

But isn't that Vegas's fault for having a faulty line? If more than 50% were riding OSU, they should have moved the line to get more NW bets in.

I would assume they did.. the 50% that had picked NW went from winners to losers and the 50% that had picked OSU went from losers to winners..
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 10/07/13 08:11 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It was garbage time when it was 7-0...

Only if you're rooting for the Browns
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/07/13 08:36 PM
Quote:

On a different note, I heard that the line on the OSU game was 6 points and when they recovered that fumble for the late TD, over $100 million changed hands... but remember, amateur sports is pure and it's all about the student athletes.

That's probably only the reported wagers too. Think about all the offshore gambling websites, and guys who wagered with their buddies. Even before Brent brought it up, that is immediately what came to my mind. Man, some people got absolutely screwed.

For those of you that love gambling and gambling stories, there was a great article about the "gambling gods". I think it was part of a Deadspin article from 5 or 6 years ago. I can't remember. Awesome article. Goes through the do's and don'ts of watching a game, and how superstitious cappers are.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/08/13 12:06 AM
Just throwing this out there: I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the first round more than a WR. He would be Gronk for us and Jordan would be Hernandez.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: College Football - 10/08/13 12:51 AM
Quote:

Just throwing this out there: I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the first round more than a WR. He would be Gronk for us and Jordan would be Hernandez.

Or Colt Lyerla who just quit the team and university.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: College Football - 10/08/13 03:43 PM
Quote:

and Jordan would be Hernandez.

Let's hope not.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/08/13 05:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

and Jordan would be Hernandez.

Let's hope not.

A year ago Jordan would probably kill to be like Hernandez
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/08/13 05:49 PM
I'm getting really excited about my trip in a few weeks for PSU/OSU

Anyone have any tips for tailgating spots or anything like that?

I don't think anyone in our group wants to cook, I may just go to Ohio Deli and grab a giant sandwich. Anyone been there? Saw it on MVF and the food looked incredible.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 10/08/13 11:42 PM
Quote:

A year ago Jordan would probably kill to be like Hernandez

Did you use "kill" and "Hernandez" in the same sentence on purpose?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: College Football - 10/08/13 11:52 PM
That appears to be exactly what he was doing. Killing would make him more similar to Hernandez. It was a pretty clever statement.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 10/12/13 06:13 PM
Georgia is getting beat down by Missouri and Oklahoma is getting beat down by Texas both are in the beginning of the 3rd quarter.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/12/13 06:47 PM
I turned off the OU game because it was going pathetic

This Georgia game is good but I do feel that they are getting a lot of calls going their way...
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: College Football - 10/12/13 06:48 PM
I have pizza and beer and I'm watching the OK TX game. If Case McCoy was more accurate OK would really be getting blown out.
Posted By: jaybird Re: College Football - 10/12/13 08:19 PM
Let's go boston college and Washington!!!!
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: College Football - 10/12/13 08:41 PM
I'm I the only one that is getting tired of every (seemingly) school now having a black uniform? I turn on a game anymore and have to figure out who is who. The Ducks change costumes every week. I get it. It's their gimmick. But Stanford, AZ, Washington, Nebraska...
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/13/13 12:27 AM
Brady Hoke is the most overrated coach in college football.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 10/13/13 12:29 AM
Now that Lane Kiffin is unemployed that is definitely a possibility. I would put present day Steve Spurrier up there as well.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:05 AM
Quote:

UM may win the game still, but there have been some very questionable coaching moves here.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:10 AM
Johnny Football just had a very bad looking knee injury. Looks bad.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:17 AM
Quote:

Quote:

UM may win the game still, but there have been some very questionable coaching moves here.

While we're at it, so is Devin Gardner. He was talked up like he was the next RG3. Dude BLOWS.
Posted By: jfanent Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:27 AM
They should play the Benny Hill theme song every time Michigan's kicker comes out.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:44 AM
Quote:

They should play the Benny Hill theme song every time Michigan's kicker comes out.

Posted By: PDR Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:49 AM
Quote:

I was actually doing that for Matt Schaub the other night.

Did it on third downs during Mangini's first year, as well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: College Football - 10/13/13 07:39 AM
Quote:

No matter what you think of Manziel off the field you can't knock his game. He is straight up ridiculous.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: College Football - 10/13/13 08:40 AM
Quote:

Quote:

No matter what you think of Manziel off the field you can't knock his game. He is straight up ridiculous.

no doubt about it. He is very, very impressive as an athlete and competitor. I'm not sure what "it" is, but he has it.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: College Football - 10/13/13 12:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

While we're at it, so is Devin Gardner. He was talked up like he was the next RG3. Dude BLOWS.

Speaking of Devin Gardner, he said he GUARANTEED scUM would defeat Ohio State before the beginning of the season. Someone should have told him just how well that works. I really hope the Buckeyes D stomps a mudhole in him Nov. 30th.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 10/13/13 12:49 PM
UM and Northwestern losing yesterday will hurt OSU's SOS calculation ... its amazing to think they could run the table and have two unbeaten seasons in a row without playing in a championship game. I wonder if Clemson struggling to beat BC (3-3) will allow OSU to jump them in the AP poll?
Posted By: waterdawg Re: College Football - 10/13/13 12:58 PM
I find it very hard to believe that OSU gets into championship game , all about schedule , and ours was a cake walk ..
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:18 PM
Well, either Northwestern or Wisconsin had to lose yesterday. And we beat both.

I was rooting hard for Penn State yesterday, then realized that a win by That team up north would help our cause. I felt bad, but I still kept rooting for PSU to win.

I think we'll probably get in the game if we run the table. Either FSU or Clemson will lose next week. Who knows what could happen in the SEC. No one may end up unbeaten. Oregon looks to be able to go undefeated, but they seem to gag a game every year.

There does seem to be an inordinate number of unbeaten teams at this point of the season, though.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.
Posted By: Dave Re: College Football - 10/13/13 01:43 PM
One less unbeaten with Stanford losing to Utah yesterday. Clemson plays FSU next week so that will be one more gone, leaving Bama, Oregon, OSU, and Louisville, along with the winner of FSU-Clemson. Of course thats assuming all those teams hold serve next week and win. It would be a shame if there ends up being 4-5 unbeatens and some pollsters decide which two are best. Glad there will be a playoff system next year, at least.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/13/13 02:45 PM
The disgusting part is that we could go undefeated for 2 consecutive seasons, and still not play in a Championship Game.

To me, that's ridiculous .... strength of schedule be damned.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: College Football - 10/13/13 04:34 PM
Yeah, OSU needs help.

LSU beats Bama (in Tuscaloosa)

Stanford beats Oregon (in Palo Alto)

As far as the ACC goes, there are still many inter conference matchups that could shake things up, as well as FSU playing Florida at the end of the year.

I'm not totally confident, but if I had to bet, I would side with OSU being in the championship game if they run the table.

With Bama, they are still in the SEC and could lose any given week.

I don't fully trust Clemson or FSU.

As far as Oregon goes, whoever said they gag a game every year is right on. As soon as you get physical with that option, they are left with nothing. Just look at Stanford last year. Stanford is built to beat up teams like that. Could easily happen again. Keep in mind Hogan as a frosh went into Eugene and kicked their ass. (Disclaimer: I still love Mariota as a prospect the Browns should really take a look at. The knock on Oregon is more on the system than on him. I think he could flourish with a year on the bench under Chud)
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/14/13 11:37 PM
I'll close this thread with a mock draft:

Free Agency:

•Resign Mack and Ward
•Sign Alterrann Verner the CB from Tennessee

Draft:

1. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington - A big athletic and complete TE. Allows to run the two TE set that has take the NFL by storm.

1. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU - Great size and has a powerful arm. Runs an NFL offense at LSU. The sexual assault thing is troublesome, but I haven't really heard anything else negative about his character.

2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt - Reminds me of Jordy Nelson.

****Trade our 3rd and both 4ths for a 2nd****
2. Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia - Moses is playing left tackle this year after having played exclusively at right tackle for Virginia. I think he projects much better at right tackle, but the experience he is getting at left tackle could provide an NFL team with some versatility. This pick moves Schwartz to RG. I just don't think Schwartz has the foot speed to play tackle. However I think he could be a mauler at guard.

3. Tre Boston, FS, UNC - I like Gibson, but Tate is an upgrade. He is athletic and can provide versatility.

5. Carlos Hyde, RB, OSU - Fills in for Willis as a big bruising RB that we need.

6. Jerome Smith, RB, Syracuse - Smith is a power running back at Syracuse but I am not sure if he has the speed to be a good RB in the NFL. He runs with great power and surprisingly nimble feet is a very reliable receiver out of the backfield.

7. Carlos Santos, K, Tulane
Posted By: bigdatut Re: College Football - 10/15/13 12:35 AM
"People are too obsessed with draft picks and treat it like it's crack" - you, in another thread today...

It's October 14th and you have a mock draft... just sayin'.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: College Football - 10/15/13 12:50 AM
Quote:

"People are too obsessed with draft picks and treat it like it's crack" - you, in another thread today...

It's October 14th and you have a mock draft... just sayin'.

And you see me trading away multiple draft picks in said mock thus proving I don't want them
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: College Football - 10/15/13 02:51 AM
Quote:

Zach Mettenberger

I have seen him associated with us in a number of mock drafts. (and I can't believe that there are moch drafts this early)

I will say this ..... it is very possible that some of the junior QBs may decide to come back for another season rather than enter the draft, in hopes of getting a better draft slot. (Like Matt Barkley did .... although that didn't work out so well for him)

Some of these guys may want to consider that they might wind up in a much better place by going mid 1st round though. I do think that any QB we draft will have most of what he needs around him, because I do trust that this front office will do what it takes to sign and draft guys who fit.
© DawgTalkers.net