#799699 07/18/13 11:56 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Browns release updated training camp information
by Tom Reed, The Plain Dealer
7/18/2013 7:49 PM
Print

The Browns released updated training camp information on Wednesday. Here are the main highlights:

--- There are 15 practices open to the public, including a Family Night practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Aug. 3. Gates open one hour prior to the start of all practice sessions and admission is free. Fans can enter camp through the Beech Street entrance. Parking is available on the campus of Baldwin-Wallace University near the intersection of Beech Street and Bagley Road.

--- Handicap-accessible parking has moved from the Berea Recreation Center lot to the grounds of the Berea training facility. Parking and entry for those with a proper handicap tag will be available near the Browns training facility entrance at 76 Lou Groza Boulevard.

--- The official radio partners of the Cleveland Browns, ESPN 850 WKNR & 92.3 “The Fan” WKRK, will be broadcasting live each day.

--- Fan parking will be limited in the Baldwin-Wallace lots on July 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 due to the 2013 National Senior Games.

--- Associate sponsor Cleveland Clinic will be on-site hosting a number of health and wellness interactive activities throughout camp, including “Mini-Training Camp” with small stations set up similar to the drills and activities at NFL practices. The activity will be available during select team practices, and both adults and kids can participate.
--- In partnership with the American Red Cross, the Annual Cleveland Browns Blood Drive will take place on July 27, at 14 sites simultaneously throughout Northeast Ohio. Registered donors will get a commemorative T-shirt, have the chance to win Browns memorabilia, and will receive two upper level tickets to a 2013 Browns preseason home game in August (while supplies last).

--- ShortRib 1, celebrity Chef Rocco Whalen’s local food truck, will be on site daily for all fans to enjoy at camp. On select days, The Orange Trük will also be on-hand. Both food trucks will allow fans to purchase gourmet food throughout practice.

--- On Monday, July 29, and Monday, Aug. 5, the Browns will offer a lemonade stand to raise funds for a local charity.

--- The Cleveland Browns Back to School Campaign, in support of Shoes and Clothes for Kids, will kick off on Aug. 6 to help kids prepare for the school year.

--- On Aug. 13, the Play 60 movement will be celebrated to promote kids becoming more active.

--- The Cleveland Foodbank will be on site on select days to share information and engage kids for an upcoming school collaboration with the Browns.

Browns training camp schedule

Date Time
July 25............. 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
July 26.................. 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
July 27................. 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
July 28................ 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
July 29............... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
July 30............... NO PRACTICE
July 31............... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 1.............. 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 2................... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 3.................. Family Night at FirstEnergy Stadium - 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Aug. 4................. NO PRACTICE
Aug. 5................ 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 6................ 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 7................ PRACTICE CLOSED TO GENERAL PUBLIC
Aug. 8.............. Browns vs. St. Louis - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 9................... NO PRACTICE
Aug. 10................ 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 11............... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug. 12............... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Aug 13............... 4:00 – 6:30 p.m. web page

That time again folks woo hoo. Lets get those Camp reports posted. I will not be able to attend thisyear but i am looking forward to hearing from u guys.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns' Rob Chudzinski counts QB among his most unsettled spots heading into camp

Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
Follow on Twitter
on July 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM, updated July 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Cleveland Browns 2013

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns coach Rob Chudzinski threw quarterback into the mix Monday when asked which positions are the most unsettled heading into camp.

"There are quite a few positions on the team as you go through the roster,'' he said in a pre-camp interview. "We’ll start on defense. The safety position, we’ll have good competition there, and the corner position as well. You move over to offense and ... the guard position. Obviously the receiver position, we’ll be looking to see where guys fit in there. The quarterback position. And then on special teams we have a number of spots we need to work through to find starters for those spots as well – both the kick, punt returner, the kicker, punter and the personal protector and some other things role-wise we need as well.”

Although the top job is up for grabs, he said Brandon Weeden will still get the first-team reps in training camp, followed by Jason Campbell with the second team and Brian Hoyer with the third team.

"Obviously training camp is the first time where we’ll get a chance to see those guys basically against full-speed competition,'' said Chudzinski. "That will be a big part of the process of them growing.”

He said he'll still be able to give Campbell and Hoyer legitimate shots to compete even though Weeden will get the bulk of the first-team work.

"They'll get plenty of work and there's going to be plenty of reps during camp to get it,'' he said. "At times, you may see them working with different groups. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see that happening. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything. We're going to make sure that all our guys get as many reps as we can in that way.''

He said all of the quarterbacks will be asked to take chances in practice that they wouldn't necessarily take in a game.

"You have to be careful in counting the number of attempts and completions,'' he said. "There are times when we want them to work on some things that they aren't as familiar with. It's part of the process in a new system and part of mastering the system and the consistency that comes with it. The most important thing for any quarterback in this league is to be able to handle adversity. Maybe they're having a bad throw, a bad day and seeing how they come back, because that's so much of this game.''

Weeden, who's already here practicing with the other quarterbacks and rookies, said he's way ahead of where he was at this time last year.

"I feel like a completely different player,'' he said. "It’s knowing what to expect. I didn’t know anyone in the locker room, I didn’t know the routine. There are just so many unknowns. Now, I’ve been in it for a year and I know how the weekly routine goes and I’ve got myself into a routine. I’m going to go out there with confidence. I’m not going to be timid. I’m going to go out there and play hard and leave it on the line and take the chances I did and always have. Throw the ball and throw the ball in tight windows and trust my arm. It’s hard to play this position when you are aiming throws and second-guessing throws. You have to play aggressive and be aggressive at all times.''

Chudzinski said he's been impressed with Weeden's improved mechanics.

"He's quickened his footwork, it’s more consistent and he’s getting the ball out quicker because of it,'' said Chudzinski.

FULL PADS SATURDAY: Camp will open on Thursday and the first full-pads practice will be on Saturday. What can fans expect?

"We’ll rarely be full-speed tackle to the ground, but it’ll be full speed,'' he said. "You'll see contact. You’ll see that part of it. And then we’ll be smart about sometimes as camp goes on and guys are worn down or you’ve had a lot of contact a number of days, we’ll make that judgment and back off on a particular day. So we’ll be flexible in terms of that.” web page

Last edited by Mourgrym; 07/22/13 09:29 PM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Weeden, who's already here practicing with the other quarterbacks and rookies, said he's way ahead of where he was at this time last year.

"I feel like a completely different player,'' he said. "It’s knowing what to expect. I didn’t know anyone in the locker room, I didn’t know the routine. There are just so many unknowns. Now, I’ve been in it for a year and I know how the weekly routine goes and I’ve got myself into a routine. I’m going to go out there with confidence. I’m not going to be timid. I’m going to go out there and play hard and leave it on the line and take the chances I did and always have. Throw the ball and throw the ball in tight windows and trust my arm. It’s hard to play this position when you are aiming throws and second-guessing throws. You have to play aggressive and be aggressive at all times.''

Chudzinski said he's been impressed with Weeden's improved mechanics.

"He's quickened his footwork, it’s more consistent and he’s getting the ball out quicker because of it,'' said Chudzinski.

Please let all this be true. What would it look like to have a Top 10 NFL QB running our offense.

Me: God?
God: Yes Heldawg
Me: Can you please make Weeden a transcendant player this year? I will eat my brussel sprouts, I promise.
God: No

D'OH!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I’m going to go out there with confidence. I’m not going to be timid. I’m going to go out there and play hard and leave it on the line and take the chances I did and always have. Throw the ball and throw the ball in tight windows and trust my arm. It’s hard to play this position when you are aiming throws and second-guessing throws. You have to play aggressive and be aggressive at all times.''

Somehow I get the feeling he was channeling Chud into that speech and also sending a message to Pat lol

Last edited by Mourgrym; 07/22/13 09:45 PM.
Legend
Legend
Really good to read this from Weeds. I also pray to the fickle pigskin goddess that it is true. To hear Chud talk, it is a "new and improving" Weeden. Have to see if it translates to success onfield, but if he feels better, we are probably better. But talk is talk. Hope he can get freaky hot for us. I hope it is coming together for him and for the team's sake.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's quite a few "unsettled" positions. And while Weeden said a lot of great things and Chud did give him a compliment, it's very interesting that QB was a position that was "unsettled."

I should say that I do think it is "unsettled," but I am surprised that the HC admitted it.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

That's quite a few "unsettled" positions. And while Weeden said a lot of great things and Chud did give him a compliment, it's very interesting that QB was a position that was "unsettled."

I should say that I do think it is "unsettled," but I am surprised that the HC admitted it.

I'm not. Its clear that this new regime doesnt want any sense of entitlement with these players and feels that competition will bring out the best in these guys. If Chud were to crown Weeden it would send a mixed message. I think they are just being consistent in their approach.

Its nice to get the same message whether it be the team president or the coach. Shows the guys are on the same page.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmm..........that's a good point. I didn't think about that. I believe you're right. Good job.

Legend
Legend
I agree. It's more like sending the message that there are no laurels here to rest on. Everyone still has work to do, and the QB hasn't proven anything here, yet.
They like what he's shown, but they aren't so naive as to not recognize that nobody is in pads or at full speed and there is still a LOT to be settled still.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

possibly my homerism view actually can be correct regarding Weeden. He was so uncomfortable from top to bottom...Coaching Leadership - "Now don't you dare throw n INT" to the system itself...a triangular route system predicated on quick reads n getting rid of the ball in a condensed evironment...all under center as Weeden not only was the Rookie QB taking the most snaps under center not shotgun...but the NFL QB who took the most % of snaps from under center.

Comfort Zone...so so important.

Held...sure would be nice to finally get a franchise QB...even if he's 29-30 years old! If traded for at that age it would be considered right in the QB's prime.

JMHO and Fan Hopes n Dreams!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Horton cut his braids off.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Lol must not have gelled with those 90+ degree days minus humidity we've been having hahaha....

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 1h
#browns DC Ray Horton on his attacking scheme: "we teach legal punishment of the QB"

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton is a blast of fresh air, not bluster
Jul 23, 2013 -- 12:35pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton, known for his long braids, showed up in front of media yesterday with a clean-cut look.

He said it was just time to cut his long locks. Maybe it was a symbolic gesture, too. Because of his distinctive look – and the hope that he will install an aggressive, attacking defense similar to Pittsburgh’s – Horton came to be seen potentially as the new identity of the Browns.

He dismissed the notion, however, that his defense will dominate the look and talk of the Browns’ season.

“I think the identity is the Dawg Pound,” Horton said. “I remember the batteries, the snowballs, all that stuff. I think they (fans) understand what they have. I think what they want is a winning football team. You have to have a balance of offense. You can’t win games, 10-7, in this league. It’s not that kind of league.”

Horton also pointed out the score of last season’s Super Bowl was 34-31.

In other words, don’t expect Horton to reinvent the Steel Curtain and produce shutout after shutout. The NFL is vastly different even from the 2000 season when the Baltimore Ravens won games without scoring touchdowns.

It was refreshing to hear Horton’s realistic approach to his task ahead. Here are some excerpts.

On Barkevious Mingo, and his weight:

“I like where he’s at. He’s probably on pace for where a rookie should be. I would put in a little caveat and say he’s transitioning from a guy who put his hand on the ground to standing up, so he spent a lot of time working on playbook and terminology. For him being ready for Day 1 opening camp, I think he’s right where he should be.

“His weight, whether it’s right or wrong … Was a defensive player in Pittsburgh too short to play? Was a wide receiver in Arizona too slow to play the game? Was a quarterback in New Orleans too short to play the game? On paper, (yes). But it’s played out here. How fast is he? Can he drop? Can he catch? I want an athletic player that can get after the quarterback. I’m not going to say a thing to him about his weight. I want a football player.”

On Jabaal Sheard’s transition from end to linebacker:

“Fantastic. He was one of the surprises of OTA/minicamp for me. He transitioned from left to right and now we’re playing him on both sides. Now everybody’s worried about can he stand up? Can he do this? Can he do that? I think when you have good athletes, they can do a lot. They just say, ‘Coach, use me.’ He’s really done a good job of absorbing the defense and playing both sides. He’s going to be a versatile player where I can move him around and use his skill to the best of his ability.”

On Leon McFadden:

“Leon just like Mingo is a young rookie. Has a growing curve. I would like to play them as much as they would allow me to play them. That’s up to them.”

On the free safety competition between Tashaun Gipson, Johnson Bademosi and Jamoris Slaughter:

“It’s a fluid position for me right now. Johnson’s moving from corner to safety. He’ll be a nickel candidate. Can he do multiple things? He’s making good progress. Not great progress. Good progress of assimilating calls, responsibilities. We will find somewhere in our mix of young DBs some good young starters. That’s going to be a position of need, of expectation, of careful scrutiny of can the young guys handle it. I don’t have that answer yet, but it’s a concern of ours that we have to find quality starters and depth there.”

On whether the door is closed on bringing in Kerry Rhodes (formerly of Arizona):

“He is an NFL free agent. I think you’re always aware of knowing what’s out there. Right now we’re committed to our roster. You’re always looking to make sure you have an avenue to get somebody. He is familiar with our system, so I would be naïve or not forthright if I said, ‘Who?’ He’s a guy we’re aware that’s out there. We’re committed to the guys that will be here tomorrow to practice.”

On Craig Robertson:

“Pleasant surprise. I don’t know if it was a surprise, I think he was what I envisioned or what I had hoped he would be. A young, athletic ‘backer who’s savvy. When I came in, I wasn’t sure what his instincts were as far as picking up a new defense. He’s been everything I’d want. That’s my little ace in the hole.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=20131

C
Legend
Legend
C
I love Horton already. It is rare to have a coach who speaks honestly about the progress of the team.

I am very interested to see Robertson's role in the defense as it seems he has the second inside linebacker spot wrapped up.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Great read... looks like Jaball going to be lined up on left and right sides! Where is Jaball? Where is Mingo? Where is Kruger? Where is the pressure coming from? Glad I am not an opposing offense needing to worry about these questions!

Legend
Legend
Gees, he sure has nice things to say about players we were mostly all wondering about. Sheard and Robertson and Mingo... Nice stuff.

he also confirmed our worst fears about DB's and Safeties. he seems to not be sure what we have there. That's fair at this point. Sure hope he figures it out.. Will someone please step up and make his job a little easier LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Great read... looks like Jaball going to be lined up on left and right sides! Where is Jaball? Where is Mingo? Where is Kruger? Where is the pressure coming from? Glad I am not an opposing offense needing to worry about these questions!

If Jabal, Mingo, Groves, & Kruger all fit in and play like we think (hope) they can... that's exactly what it will be like.
If they're mediocre in their play as a group... then it won't really matter much how we move them around.

Browns is the Browns

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Gees, he sure has nice things to say about players we were mostly all wondering about. Sheard and Robertson and Mingo... Nice stuff.

he also confirmed our worst fears about DB's and Safeties. he seems to not be sure what we have there. That's fair at this point. Sure hope he figures it out.. Will someone please step up and make his job a little easier LOL

Ray Horton really worth watching.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...22-5a00c3b35fc6

Last edited by pblack18707; 07/23/13 02:39 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
With video: Browns OC Norv Turner discusses vision for offense as training camp begins

New Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner met with reporters today to discuss the outlook of the offense as it transitions from a West Coast system to his downfield, vertical passing game and power running scheme.

The Browns will open to training camp to the public Thursday with the first full-squad practice running from 4-6:30 p.m.

Below are highlights from the interview with Turner:

Quarterbacks

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said quarterback Brandon Weeden, the 22nd overall pick in last year's draft, has improved his mechanics this offseason by speeding up his feet while dropping back.

Has Turner noticed a change?

“I think his basic mechanics, I think what Chud is talking about, his basic mechanics aren't going to change a great deal,” Turner said. “But I think he's got more of a sense of urgency, and I think he's playing faster than he has and that comes with doing the same things over and over again and that comes with him having a better understanding of what he's doing.”

In Turner's experience with quarterbacks, do they usually make a major leap in their second season?

“To me, it’s totally based on No. 1, the guy, and then the situation he was in, and so many people get caught up in where a guy is,” Turner said. “A lot of it depends on the situation he’s put in, the offensive line, the playmakers around him, how good a defensive football team you have. There’s so many things that go into it. But I think Brandon is fortunate. He’s had the experience of starting [15] games in this league. That’s a plus when you start working with a player who hasn’t played a lot. And then I think he’s taken to what we’re doing, and I expect him to play at a high level. This system is really a quarterback-friendly system. And I know guys look to a year and say, well, this guy in this system had this many turnovers or whatever, but I go all the way back to Jim Everett, guys that people forget. We had Gus Frerotte go to the Pro Bowl in ’96. Trent Green had a breakout year in ’98. Brad Johnson took us to a playoff win and threw for 4,000 yards in ’99. I can go on, Alex smith, we’ve had a lot of quarterbacks play at an awful high level, and we’ve had some guys not have great years in this system because that’s part of this league. But I think the system’s proven. I think our players are buying into it. And I think our fans will enjoy watching what we do because we want to be productive, we want to be explosive and we want to score points. And that’s obviously why you come to games.”

What percentage will Turner use Weeden in the shotgun?

“I think the thing the shotgun has done for some of these guys, and everybody thinks the shotgun is the runners, but it’s [Peyton] Manning and [Tom] Brady, Philip Rivers,” Turner said. “I think those guys are helped by being in the shotgun because it gets them away from the rush a little bit. And this league has become a pressure league, and it’s such a league that’s based on trying to disrupt the quarterback, that being in the shotgun will help our quarterback. So, yeah, we want to be in the shotgun a percentage of the time, and then the test for us and the goal for us is to make sure we’re balanced and that we can run the ball and throw the ball out of the shotgun. And we’ll be under center when it’s appropriate.”

CEO Joe Banner and General Manager Mike Lombardi relied on Turner's advice about the decision to stick with Weeden this season.

What did Turner see in Weeden?

“For me, it starts with Chud,” Turner said. “And I appreciate you saying that and thinking that I have that much say, but it starts with Chud. He and Joe spent a lot of time together and we looked at a lot of quarterbacks. I think the combination of what we felt about Brandon and then what the options were, the alternatives. And obviously we helped our quarterback situation a great deal getting Jason [Campbell] and getting Brian [Hoyer]. So I like our quarterback situation, and I’m going to say it again, we have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be, but I think we can be successful with this group.”

Running back

Running back Trent Richardson missed part of organized team activities in May and the team’s entire mandatory minicamp in June because of a strained muscle in his right shin.

Will the missed time hurt Richardson’s ability to learn the new offense?

“I think the running back position is a little bit unique,” Turner said. “Those guys rely so much on their physical skills, their natural ability. I think he can overcome the time he missed. He’s sharp. The mental part was no problem. He’ll get reps. He’ll get his share of reps. The best runners I’ve been around, they start off and stay within the system and they let their natural ability do a lot of the damage. Their natural ability is a lot of reason for their success.”

Does Turner need to hold back on Richardson’s workload at all in camp?

“I don’t think he’ll take a beating at all in our training camp practices,” Turner said. “I think coach and our trainers and our doctors have put together a really good plan for Trent. I think he’s going to get as much work as he needs to get ready, and then we’ll make sure he’s fresh and healthy, but he’s going to get his share of the work in this camp like every player. When I started this thing off, you have to put a lot of time in. It takes a lot of work to be ready to play in this league. He needs to go through the same process everyone else does.”

Could Richardson have 300 carries this season or are times changing?

“Obviously the trend in the league is to not do that, but I think it depends on your team and everyone around it,” Turner said. “If that player is your best player, then I think it’s probably a good thing to have him in the game and give him the ball. So I would hope Trent would have that many carries. That means he’s playing healthy and playing at a pretty high level if we give him the ball that much.”

In terms of natural ability, how does Richardson stack up against other backs Turner has been around?

“Just watching him and seeing him against us when I came here in October [as head coach of the San Diego Chargers] and then watching the tape, yeah, he’s that type of runner,” Turner said. “Obviously he’s the third pick in the draft. I think he has a lot of great days ahead of him. I always have a problem comparing players because each guy has his own unique style, but I think he’s capable of doing great things.”

Wide receivers

The NFL has suspended wide receiver Josh Gordon for the first two game of the regular season for violating its substance-abuse policy.

How will the suspension affect Turner’s plan for training camp and the preseason?

“You get so many reps in training camp, I don't think it is a factor in what we'll do,” Turner said. “You always get the guys you have ready and whether we have five receivers active or six receivers active, you have to get them all ready to play and we've all been in situations where a guy turns an ankle the Friday before the opening game and you don't have him available and you don't call the game off. You go play, so we've got enough guys to get them ready to play, and we'll get Josh ready to play so he's ready when he comes back.”

Fullback

What are the Browns’ plans at fullback?

“The beauty of this offense, I think, is that it is versatile enough that you have success with the players you have,” Turner said. “We've used a variety of different styles of fullback and have been very productive, and I can go all the way back into the mid-90s where we had a converted tailback playing fullback with the Redskins and Terry Allen rushed for 1,500 yards. We're going to make due. We're going to take the guys that we have and find out what they do best and give them a chance to do that. We will end up, I believe, we will end up with a traditional fullback in our offense and how much we'll use him will depend on the style of offense we end up running.”

Can tailback Chris Ogbonnaya fill that role?

“He can do some of it,” Turner said. “He's similar to the guys I talked about back in Washington.”

Tight end

Can Jordan Cameron be the main tight end in Turner’s offense?

“We’re going to give Jordan opportunity to be that guy,” Turner said. “Now let’s put it in his hands. Is he capable of being that guy? That’s why you go to camp. That’s why you go play the games. Everyone wants to project and say what these guys can be. The game is still played on the field. Guys compete in practice to get opportunities to play in the games and then we get to find out how they match up and do against pretty good competition.”

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...ksEnabled=false

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

What did Turner see in Weeden?

“For me, it starts with Chud,” Turner said. “And I appreciate you saying that and thinking that I have that much say, but it starts with Chud. He and Joe spent a lot of time together and we looked at a lot of quarterbacks. I think the combination of what we felt about Brandon and then what the options were, the alternatives. And obviously we helped our quarterback situation a great deal getting Jason [Campbell] and getting Brian [Hoyer]. So I like our quarterback situation, and I’m going to say it again, we have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be, but I think we can be successful with this group.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I haven't seen anything I would call a ringing endorsement of Weeden from the FO on down.

So far I haven't really seen a reason to blame them for it either. Of course we all hope that changes.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think that everybody, from the top down, is in a holding pattern - a wait-and-see mode.

We all know what he is/was in Shurmur's offense, but I don't think that even Chud and Norv know, yet, what we have with him in their offense. Yes, they have experience, but they're projecting right now just as we are. If they had crystal balls that told them how it was going to be.... well, this league would be a whole lot different.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that goes for a lot of spots on the roster. You can't predict exactly how someone will respond to certain changes/systems, nor can you truly predict the development of a player.

From what we have seen in print, it seems that at least in part they feel pretty confident in what...... 11?

I am glad they are giving some of our younger and less experienced players an opportunity to see how they pan out in both the new O and new D.

And actually if they tried to give more credit than they have in that department, I'd have to call BS. As it stands I think this coaching staff is being pretty fair in telling us what they do have and what they're not sure of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you guys to a certain extent, but they have heaped praise on a couple of guys. Sheard and Robertson come to mind.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Is it just me or is there a huge difference between how Chud/Norv talk about reps-in-TC versus how Pat talked about that?

Both guys are basically saying that there are plenty of reps to go around such that the guys competing for jobs will get a shot to show what they've got. They seem very confident that they will give everyone ample opportunities.

Under Pat, I seem to remember this feeling of reps-in-TC being very limited and second/third guys getting what's leftover.

Not a big deal by any means...just a completely different vibe in that regard.

Legend
Legend
I would think that a part of that is the complexity levels of the two schemes. Pat & Holmgrens WCO is reputed to be ridiculously complex, easily taking years to master it. In 2007, we saw just how quickly Anderson got up and running in Chud's offense and excelled.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
btw does anyone know if STO is going to do their camp report show this year? i havent seen it listed on their schedule but I really enjoyed that last year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

btw does anyone know if STO is going to do their camp report show this year? i havent seen it listed on their schedule but I really enjoyed that last year.

Me too. STO turns into the "Jim Donovan" channel for a few months. All Jimmy, all the time.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

Me too. STO turns into the "Jim Donovan" channel for a few months. All Jimmy, all the time.

And I love it. Jim is looking really healthy nowadays which is great. He was looking very ill when he was just getting back into the camera role. I wouldn't want noone else or hear anyone elses voice other than Donovan's!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I would think that a part of that is the complexity levels of the two schemes. Pat & Holmgrens WCO is reputed to be ridiculously complex, easily taking years to master it. In 2007, we saw just how quickly Anderson got up and running in Chud's offense and excelled.

That is an excellent point.

I get this weird sense of calm when I hear/read comments from Chud to Norv to Ray...don't ever remember feeling the same about Pat.

Could be wishful projecting on my part though.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think the point you agreed with that Purp made is part of it and the other part is I believe they think Campbell has worked this system before, knows the terminology and it wouldn't take as many reps from him for them to evaluate where he is in it.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I think the point you agreed with that Purp made is part of it and the other part is I believe they think Campbell has worked this system before, knows the terminology and it wouldn't take as many reps from him for them to evaluate where he is in it.

That's another excellent point. It's been a long time since we had a vet QB who was not on his last legs as a player...thus making the number of reps less of a problem. Good stuff.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Well, I just browsed from today thru August 6th on my DirectTV channel and not one "Training Camp Daily" on STO.

As I recall"The Red Zone" with Andre Knott and Mary Kay C that was on Thursday nights was only in the reg season??? If it was in TC and preseason then we're outta luck "for now" as well.

I can't believe a "year-round" 1/2hr show on the Browns in general and their players/coaches/draft picks/(WHATEVER???) wouldn't be extremely popular as much as we the fans drool over even trivial info.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

but they have heaped praise on a couple of guys. Sheard and Robertson come to mind.

Maybe that's because it was Horton who was talking about the D and not the O?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
SportsTime Ohio Covers Browns Preseason With “Training Camp Daily”
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nfl/clevela...amp;feedID=3659

CLEVELAND, OH – SportsTime Ohio announces daily Browns preseason coverage with Training Camp Daily and preseason game replays. Beginning tomorrow, July 25 at 11:30pm, this 30-minute program will provide Browns fans daily updates of Browns Training Camp from the sideline of the practice field in Berea. The network will also replay the Browns’ four preseason games each game night at midnight. A complete schedule is below.

Training Camp Daily will introduce new players and cover roster decisions as they are decided on the field. Each show, the Browns most recognizable and informed experts will interview players, provide injury updates, report position battles, and discuss the upcoming season.

Team of analysts:

· Jim Donovan - play-by-play radio voice of the Browns since 1999

· Doug Dieken – Browns offensive tackle 1971-84; radio color commentator since 1985

· Mary Kay Cabot – The Plain Dealer Browns beat writer

· Tony Grossi - Browns analyst for WKNR 850 and 1540 KNR2

· Andre Knott - Sports reporter on FOXSportsOhio.com, WTAM 1100 & WEWS Channel 5

The show will also feature guest appearances by FOXSportsOhio.com Browns writers including Zac Jackson and Fred Greetham.

TRAINING CAMP DAILY

Day

Date

Time

Thursday

July 25

11:30pm

Friday

July 26

Saturday

July 27

Sunday

July 28

Monday

July 29

Wednesday

July 31

Thursday

August 1

Friday

August 2

Monday

August 5

Tuesday

August 6

Wednesday

August 7

Saturday

August 10

Sunday

August 11

Monday

August 12

Tuesday

August 13

PRESEASON GAME REPLAYS

Day

Date

Time

Opponent

Thursday

August 8

Midnight

Rams

Thursday

August 15

Midnight

Lions

Thursday

August 24

Midnight

Colts

Thursday

August 29

Midnight

Bears

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
good job. thanks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Whew.............YTown.....you saved my preseason!

Tomorrow morn and not updated on my DirectTV channel guide.

to the DTV channel guide mgr!

STO at 11:30p has "A Perfect Yard"(1/2hr show) at that time.

TYVM............setting the DVR right.....................NOW!

Last edited by TTTDawg; 07/24/13 07:19 PM.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Tomorrow night .... not morning. PM is night.

Don't want you to miss it again.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Shoot, I was hoping Grossi wouldn't be on this show anymore . . .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard