Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Couple of quick comments. On having to many pass rushers, so we gotta trade one. Umm no. Horton needs quality depth to run his scheme effectively. It takes an insane amount of energy to rush full speed take on a big tackle and then finish the play strong. If we can have a 3 man rotation at OLB with 3 very good rushers, this defense is gonna be dangerous cause I think we already have the talent and depth for the DL.

Loved seeing Haden covering Gordon deep and staying with him. Hated seeing Gordon failing to just go up and take that thing away. He also stuck with little on a cross there and it was impressive. thats from the training camp daily. Those were plays he was often beat on last year.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 07/27/13 12:16 AM.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
thank you let me know if you get out my way I live in jackson hole wyoming.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Browns training camp snapshot: Secondary dominates, wide receiver David Nelson returns to practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 26, 2013

The Browns held their second full-squad practice of training camp today. Below is a quick glance at what happened.

Storylines: The defensive backs dominated during team drills, and the most notable player in the group was no exception. Starting cornerback Joe Haden intercepted a pass from quarterback Brandon Weeden to wide receiver Josh Gordon on an out route.

Haden bolted the other way for what would have been a pick-six. After the play, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski congratulated Haden. During his post-practice news conference, Chudzinski said Haden has stepped up as a leader this offseason, and he believes Haden has great potential. “I think Joe’s best days are ahead of him if he continues to work,” Chudzinski said.

Not long after Haden’s pick, he and cornerback Buster Skrine, who rotated with Chris Owens with the first-team defense, broke up passes on consecutive plays. Backup safeties Johnson Bademosi and Josh Aubrey dropped interceptions on back-to-back passes thrown by quarterback Brian Hoyer. In an another 11-on-11 session, Skrine intercepted a pass from quarterback Jason Campbell intended for Grodon on a hook route. Cornerback Trevin Wade intercepted a pass that went in and out of the hands of wide receiver Jordan Norwood.

Hoyer threw the pass. … Wide receiver David Nelson passed a physical today and returned to practice. It was his first practice since he tore an anterior cruciate ligament as a member of the Buffalo Bills in last year’s season opener and underwent a subsequent knee surgery. Nelson participated in individual drills but not team sessions. He declined to speak to the media afterward. “We’ll continue to evaluate him and hopefully upgrade him as we’re going,” Chudzinski said.

Position battles: For the second consecutive practice, John Greco and Shawn Lauvao worked at left and right guard, respectively, with the first-team offense. Jason Pinkston took reps as the second-team left guard. … T.J. Conley took the first reps in punting drills, followed by Spencer Lanning.

Highlights: Quarterback Brandon Weeden, who continued to take all the first-team reps, completed a deep touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin in one-on-one drills pitting the receivers against the defensive backs. … In a seven-on-seven drill, Weeden connected with wide receiver Greg Little, who made a great grab against tight coverage from Skrine. … At the beginning of practice, the players did a stretching exercise in which they raised one arm while leaning over. A fan yelled, “Raise your hand if you’re glad [ex-Browns coach Pat] Shurmur’s gone.” Backup running back Brandon Jackson stood straight up and raised both hands. The crowd laughed and cheered while one fan shouted, “We’re with ya.”

Injuries: Wide receiver Josh Gordon returned to practice and fully participated after a cramp in his left calf/Achilles area forced him to sit out the final half-hour of Thursday’s practice. … Nose tackle Phil Taylor (strained calf), tight end Kellen Davis (sprained knee) and undrafted rookie offensive lineman Chris Faulk (knee) continued to sit out.

All three did light exercises on the side. Chudzinski said he expects Taylor and Davis back soon. A calf injury forced defensive end Ahtyba Rubin to miss three-plus games last season, but Chudzinski doesn’t believe Taylor’s injury is nearly as serious. “I’m expecting him back in the next few days,” Chudzinski said of Taylor.

“He feels good and he’s worked hard on the side there with the trainers and all reports I’ve gotten are pretty positive.” John Hughes continued to play nose tackle for the first-team defense in Taylor's absence. … In the final half-hour of practice, backup offensive right tackle Oniel Cousins limped to the sideline during team drills and walked off with a trainer a few minutes later. Chudzinski said Cousins rolled an ankle.

Saturday’s schedule: Practice from 4-6:30 p.m. For updates, call 877-627-6967.
web page

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

At the beginning of practice, the players did a stretching exercise in which they raised one arm while leaning over. A fan yelled, “Raise your hand if you’re glad [ex-Browns coach Pat] Shurmur’s gone.” Backup running back Brandon Jackson stood straight up and raised both hands. The crowd laughed and cheered while one fan shouted, “We’re with ya.”

Just another reason to get rid of that bone head.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Telling (hidden) scenes from Browns summer camp
Print Comment
By Steve Doerschuk

We watched and took notes. Here are a few observations after sleeping on the first day of Browns training camp.
• GREEN 80! GREEN 80! HUT!! It was good to hear the quarterback in an orange helmet barking again.

• In one set in which the “ones” were practicing plays prior to a 11-on-11 set, the offense had Gary Barnidge at tight end and Chris Ogbonnaya as a second back with Trent Richardson. The guards were John Greco (left) and Shawn Lauvao (right).
We have been convinced the coaches who count trust Barnidge.
The has been around — he will turn 28 the first month of the season. It surely counts that part of “around” in his five NFL season was spending 2012 with Chud in Carolina.

Barnidge was barely used as a receiver last year, but he was used quite a bit in the spring. It may be that Jordan Cameron is the heir apparent to Ben Watson. It could be that Barnidge seemed conspicuous Thursday only because Kellen Davis, a young veteran acquired in free agency, was a no-go due to a knee issue.

We’re keeping an eye on Barnidge, though ... especially with Cameron not impressing, other than in glimpses, in his first two Browns seasons, in the spring, and in Thursday’s practice.

Barnidge is the fellow who struck us in OTAs as having disproportionately short arms. He played college ball at Louisville.

• Nobody should start calling the quarterback Bootleg Brandon, but it was interesting that Mr. Weeden looked fairly smooth on a designed run.
First, during a dry run of plays that would be used in the subsequent 11-on-11 set, Weeden fed a convincing inside handoff to Richardson. Everyone (and by everyone I mean me) kept watching Richardson to see where he would cut. When I finally noticed he did not have the ball, there was Weeden making a quick burst over the opposite side.

On cue, Weeden ran the play in 11 on 11s. The defense didn’t know it was coming and leaned hard to Richardson while Weeden took off around the right side.

Using the approach too much in real games could make Weeden an older man than he already is. It might be a drive saver in certain key spots.
RG3? No one will ever call Weeden BW3. Weeden is known for his wing, not his legs. He is a decent athlete, though. He averaged more than a carry a game, mostly on scrambles, in 2012, and his average was better than Richardson’s.

• Josh Cooper is crafty. He is quicker than he was as a 2012 rookie. If I had to bet whether he will make the team, I would bet no. If I am wrong, I think he could help the team, especially in the first couple of games when Josh Gordon’s suspension will thin the wideout ranks.

The brightest example of the “attack style” that is supposed to be Chud’s stamp came with Cooper and the “threes” on the field.
QB Brian Hoyer broke the huddle quickly, called for a quick snap, took a quick drop from which the ball was out right now, over the middle 15 yards downfield to Cooper. Cooper was on a dead sprint when he caught the ball in stride and kept on truckin’.

When Cooper ran back to the huddle, he and Hoyer gave each other a satisfied point of the index finger.
Cooper, of course, is the guy who was Weeden’s ace in the hole behind Justin Blackmon at Oklahoma State.

• There can’t have been 10 weather days like Thursday since I’ve been going to camp every day starting in 1999. Baby-blue, cloudless sky, barely above 70 in the sun, almost a chill in the shade. Coaches hate that kind of camp weather. web page

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for posting the articles mourg. All very interesting.

Regarding the #2 CB, I could see Horton starting either Owens or Skrine at that spot depending on the matchups with the opposition's WR's and slot guys. Maybe that doesn't make sense but maybe it does.

Also, a comment regarding Kruger, Sheard and Mingo. After reading the link that guard dawg posted, and I re-posted in a different thread, I could see Mingo being used as a D-lineman on occasion. Horton did that with the Cardinals with Washington to great success.

Using the right defensive stunts, depending on down and distance, the defense can create big, unblocked holes just juicy for Mingo to use his athleticism to tear unchallenged to the QB. Of course it wouldn't have to be Mingo used for that purpose every time, but it does put all three OLB's on the field at the same time.

Hell, it happens TO us often enough. I'm excited to see us accomplish it against others.

I am so excited to see our defense grow this season. When I get to camp I'll pay special attention to how the front 7 is being used. Are we allowed to take notes without a press pass? Wouldn't want to get thrown out of camp for being a spy! hahaha But I'll do what I can when I can. I've really been studying front 7 blitzes and stunts and that link I mentioned was a very good lesson on how Horton might use Mingo in his rookie year.

Aldon Smith got 17 sacks on about 600 defensive snaps, that's about 50% of the snaps, in his rookie year being used as a situational pass rusher with some well designed front 7 stunts.

I can't wait for the season to start. Screw summer. Fast forward to September!

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks . It's nice to be reading actual camp reports rather than reading poster opinions. Not that the opinions are wrong or bad, it just gets old after 7 months.

Is it just me this morning but is Doerschuk's writing style hard to read? That first article was very hard to follow.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yup, an opinion about doom and gloom....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

There is no such thing as having too many great pass rushers.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

I really liked Joe Haden's interview. WHen he said he was sorry about his suspension last season, I really felt he means it to this day. Unlike when Gordon said it. I like Joe, if it wasn't for his suspension, he'd be a pro-bowl candidate last season without question. This is going to be a strong year for Joe I think. It sounds like he's business and ready to rock.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...13-0ed56ce9f0ad

M
Legend
Legend
M
Everything I am seeing from post-practice interviews, journalist commentary, etc has been nothing but high praise for Greg Little not only his play on the field but his on-going preparation as well.

I hope it translates to a breakout year for the kid and no more punting of the ball in the end zone type garbage anymore. Hopefully, he has grown up.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Greg also had a solid interview, I forgot to mention this and I did. I didn't know he changed his number to #18 now, but I guess if that's what you wore in college and someone gave you money for your old number, then haha..

Very well spoken and he also sounds all business and ready to rock. Sounds like he's been studying a lot of other players too. The fact the chemistry between him and Weeden improving during their offseason get-togethers should benefit both players when the season rolls around. Looking forward to seeing Greg this season.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...9c-b5615763da89

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 07/27/13 09:19 AM.
Legend
Legend
Its 18.. not 8..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Its 18.. not 8..

Yes I know, typo.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thanks . It's nice to be reading actual camp reports rather than reading poster opinions. Not that the opinions are wrong or bad, it just gets old after 7 months.

Is it just me this morning but is Doerschuk's writing style hard to read? That first article was very hard to follow.

He

Spaces

His

Paragraphs

Too

Much

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed. I thought this was a great interview and he came off really well...especially the part where he was going to study film right after that interview.

Keep it up, Greg.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It does seem as if he's impressing the Coach and his teammates doesn't it. That's awfully good to hear. We're going to need him this year.. What with Gordon being an unknown and thus far, apparently not impressing in camp and having a 2 game suspension and one misstep away from being gone for good. Nelson being an unknown given his return from injury and Cameron being, well, I don't know what the heck Cameron is LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC

One person we haven't heard from or seen in the first couple of days is Kruger. You'd think the media would be all over him for an interview as he was the keystone piece in the FA period. I guess Bryant for that matter as well.

I mean we have a Travis Benjamin interview to watch, but not our new pass rusher? Maybe the Browns schedule them out as the days go by as I expect we'll here from them soon.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC

One person we haven't heard from or seen in the first couple of days is Kruger. You'd think the media would be all over him for an interview as he was the keystone piece in the FA period. I guess Bryant for that matter as well.

I mean we have a Travis Benjamin interview to watch, but not our new pass rusher? Maybe the Browns schedule them out as the days go by as I expect we'll here from them soon.

Ha,, didn't even think about that. Haven't heard much from Mingo either have we? or did I just miss it?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...97-636c7ae7b05d

Here is the most recent one of Mingo, but it's dated 7/22. Pre- Training Camp. It's all about him signing a contract.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...97-636c7ae7b05d

Here is the most recent one of Mingo, but it's dated 7/22. Pre- Training Camp. It's all about him signing a contract.

Oh, I saw that, I thought you were talking about since camp opened? since camp, nothing from Kruger, Bryant or Mingo..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
You're right. I was referring to Training Camp. There isn't anything from those players yet. Just didn't know if you'd seen that last one from Keke but I should have known you did.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You're right. I was referring to Training Camp. There isn't anything from those players yet. Just didn't know if you'd seen that last one from Keke but I should have known you did.

LOL Can't take that for granted, stuff is coming out much faster not that camp is open. so I could very easily have missed it. thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Oh, I saw that, I thought you were talking about since camp opened? since camp, nothing from Kruger, Bryant or Mingo..

Don't know if the decisions about which players are featured is strictly a media choice or if player availability to the media is influenced by the team. I suspect that when the pads go on and those positions where contact tells the story- those players involved will get more attention in the press.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Oh and another notable thing from that article was that Nelson passed his physical and is participating. At 6'5'', he could be a lethal target depending how well he does, especially bouncing back from that torn ligament.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

JC

I really liked Joe Haden's interview. WHen he said he was sorry about his suspension last season, I really felt he means it to this day. Unlike when Gordon said it. I like Joe, if it wasn't for his suspension, he'd be a pro-bowl candidate last season without question. This is going to be a strong year for Joe I think. It sounds like he's business and ready to rock.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...13-0ed56ce9f0ad

My favorite response was on the TV show when Andre Knott asked him what the biggest difference was between this year and last. Without hesitation, Haden said, "everybody knows their assignments a lot better. In OTA"s and mini camp we learned the plays and installed the system really well It's not new to people like it was last year. Everybody knows their assignments a whole lot better".....and then later, "nobody's standing around like they don't know what's going on".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Does anyone know why there haven't been more articles about camp? I want to hear how these guys are looking. Am I missing something?

#799806 07/27/13 12:58 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just read a couple of other reports. Sounds like there were a lot of interceptions, dropped interceptions, poor throws, and poor routes on day 2 of camp.

Good news for the secondary. More of the same old crap from the offense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

JC

Oh and another notable thing from that article was that Nelson passed his physical and is participating. At 6'5'', he could be a lethal target depending how well he does, especially bouncing back from that torn ligament.

I can see Nelson playing one of the TE roles on passing downs. Especially in the red zone. When he was with Buffalo, I initially thought he was a TE the way they used him by the goalline.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Just read a couple of other reports. Sounds like there were a lot of interceptions, dropped interceptions, poor throws, and poor routes on day 2 of camp.

Good news for the secondary. More of the same old crap from the offense.

Same old pathetic junk.

You do know they were working on third and long situations yesterday right?

Ridiculous.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Greg also had a solid interview, I forgot to mention this and I did. I didn't know he changed his number to #18 now, but I guess if that's what you wore in college and someone gave you money for your old number, then haha..

Very well spoken and he also sounds all business and ready to rock. Sounds like he's been studying a lot of other players too. The fact the chemistry between him and Weeden improving during their offseason get-togethers should benefit both players when the season rolls around. Looking forward to seeing Greg this season.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...9c-b5615763da89

I LOVE the way Little speaks of preparation and work off the field being every bit as important as anything he does on the practice field. He wants to be a great player, and has figured out what makes players great. I don't know where he'll wind up, but he is doing the right things, and preparing as a pro every single day. That is so encouraging to me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
J
Legend
Legend
J
Injured Browns player awake, alert and moving all four extremities
by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
7/27/2013 5:09 PM Print

An unidentified Browns player was down on the field for nearly 10 minutes today in a scary scene at practice. The player was immobilized on a board and then carted to the ambulance.

The team has asked that the player not be identified until the family is notified. Teammates huddled around the player, took a knee and prayed. The music ceased and all were quiet.

The injury occurred during individual drills inside the Browns field house. The practice was held inside today and closed to the public because of rain. It was supposed to be the first practice in full pads, but was conducted in shoulder pads instead.

About 10 minutes after the player was rushed to a local hospital, a team spokesman said he was awake, alert and moving all four extremities.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1374959397-511-318/injured-browns-player-awake-alert.html

J
Legend
Legend
J
BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Ryan Miller has been taken to the hospital after being carted off the field during practice.

A team spokesman said the player is "awake, alert and has movement in all four extremities."

Cleveland's players, wearing shoulder pads for the first time in training camp, were doing one-on-one drills inside the team's indoor facility when the player wound up on the turf. It's not known if he was injured or collapsed.

As medical personnel rushed in, the music inside the field house was turned off and several Browns players took a knee. After the player was immobilized and strapped to a backboard, the team and coaching staff huddled around the player and prayed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/st...-taken-hospital

Legend
Legend
Quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Ryan Miller has been taken to the hospital after being carted off the field during practice.

A team spokesman said the player is "awake, alert and has movement in all four extremities."

Cleveland's players, wearing shoulder pads for the first time in training camp, were doing one-on-one drills inside the team's indoor facility when the player wound up on the turf. It's not known if he was injured or collapsed.

As medical personnel rushed in, the music inside the field house was turned off and several Browns players took a knee. After the player was immobilized and strapped to a backboard, the team and coaching staff huddled around the player and prayed.

Whew,, Good news, thanks Jules.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Man i hope he is ok......what do you guys think? STINGER MAYBE? KNOCKED UNCONSCIOUS?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Browns lineman Ryan Miller doing 'better' after suffering head injury and losing consciousness at practice
Jul 27, 2013 -- 7:36pm

By Tony Grossi

Observations, notes, quotes and some facts on Day 3 of Browns training camp …

* Practice screeched to a halt for several minutes when backup offensive lineman Ryan Miller suffered a head injury in a one-on-one blocking drill. Miller lost consciousness for a while, a source said.

As Miller lay on the fieldhouse floor (practice was moved indoors because of wet conditions), players surrounded him and said prayers silently. Eventually, Miller moved his arms and legs and was carried to an ambulance on a medical cart and transplanted to a local hospital. He was then transplanted to Cleveland Clinic main campus.

The Browns notified Miller's family before approving release of his name in media reports.

By the time practice was over, coach Rob Chudzinski reported, “At this time Ryan’s doing well, he’s responsive. Sounds like things are better.” Chudzinski said he intended to visit Miller Saturday night.

Miller was a sixth-round draft pick from Colorado in 2012. At 6-7 and 320 pounds, he’s one of the biggest players on the team. He was working out at guard and tackle.

“He’s a nice guy, really easy going, a hard worker, really kind of a gym rat type guy,” said tackle Joe Thomas. “He and have become good friends in the last year.

“The thing you worry about is the neck. When we heard it was not neck-related, that was fantastic.”

Chudzinski huddled the players together before practice resumed about 15 minutes later and asked them to refocus on the task at hand.

“This team is a family. When something happens to a family member like that, it’s tough,” said Chudzinski. “This team did a great job of staying focused.”

* Practiced was moved indoors because of a forecast for rain and already-saturated fields. It was the first day players were in shoulder pads, but shorts were worn and work was restrained by the confines of the indoor facility. Chudzinski said Sunday’s practice will be in full pads.

* A full period of practice was devoted to screen plays. They have not been run effectively by the Browns, it seems, since agile left guard Eric Steinbach’s last productive year in 2010.

“Screens have always been something that Norv (Turner, offensive coordinator) –- teams Norv have been with -- has really excelled at,” Chudzinski said. “I’ve been fortunate to be around Norv and learn a thing or two about screens.”

The key to executing the screen play: “There’s a lot of coordination and timing between the offensive line and running backs (needed),” Chud said. “The timing of it happening and knowing the rushes and the right people to do it against, as well.”

* Work on screen passes served as a showcase for Dion Lewis. The diminutive running back obtained in a trade with Philadelphia has a stop-and-go ability that had several defensive players grasping at air. Linebacker Quentin Groves actually fell flat on his stomach as Lewis ran away from him. The artificial turf surface inside the fieldhouse accentuated Lewis’ quickness.

* Nose tackle Phil Taylor and tight end Kellen Davis returned to practice and were limited to individual drills. Offensive tackle Oniel Cousins will be out a couple weeks with a sprained ankle, Chudzinski said.

* The offensive coaches had no tolerance for a false start by guard Jason Pinkston.He was yanked from the lineup immediately after the infraction.

* The current order of players taking reps at kickoff returns:1. Travis Benjamin. 2. Johnson Bademosi. 3. Dion Lewis. 4. Buster Skrine.

* The backup inside linebackers are James-Michael Johnson and L.J. Fort.

* Chudzinski said that the offense as a whole had a much better day after being dominated by the DBs on Friday.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=20351

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- Defensive tackle Phil Taylor (calf strain) and tight end Kellen Davis (knee strain) returned to Browns practice today, but on a limited basis.

Taylor participated only in individual drills and was held out of team sessions. Davis was also held out of 11-on-11s. John Hughes continues to replace Taylor at nose tackle until he's ready for full action.

• Offensive lineman Oniel Cousins, who rolled his ankle on Friday, will miss a couple of weeks with a sprain, coach Rob Chudzinski said.

• Fullback Brock Bolen sat out with a strained calf. Brad Smelley, who's been primarily working at tight end, got in some work at fullback.

• Practice was moved indoors and closed to the public because of the rain. It was supposed to be the first day in full pads, but the team practiced only in shoulder pads. The first full-pad practice is now set for Sunday.

• The practice was overshadowed by a head injury suffered by second-year guard Ryan Miller, who was apparently knocked unconscious after a helmet-to-helmet blow during blocking drills. See our related post on Miller's injury, which provided the team with a quite a scare 39 minutes into the session.

• Cornerback Leon McFadden, working with the second team behind Chris Owens and Buster Skrine, had a nice breakup of a Brian Hoyer pass to Josh Gordon. Owens and Skrine are alternating first-team reps opposite Joe Haden.

• Running back Dion Lewis looked lightning quick on a couple of screens, and should provide a great change-of-pace.

• Linebacker Barkevious Mingo almost picked off a Hoyer pass 20 yards downfield.

• Chudzinski yanked guard Jason Pinkston out of the lineup after a false start, which was a point of emphasis at that point in the practice.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

Last edited by Pdawg; 07/27/13 08:59 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns training camp snapshot: Practice halted by Miller’s frightening injury; Taylor, Davis return
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 27, 2013

The Browns held their third full-squad practice of training camp today. Below is a glance at what occurred.

Storylines: Practice screeched to a halt when backup offensive tackle Ryan Miller suffered a frightening concussion during one-on-one blocking drills. Miller fell to the ground and stayed there for about six minutes until medical personnel immobilized him, strapped him to a board and carted him out of the field house and into an ambulance. He spent about three hours at the Cleveland Clinic’s main campus before being released. A team spokesman said he is awake, alert and has movement in all four extremities. Browns Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas said Miller was unconscious on the field for a brief time. The entire team knelt and prayed in silence as medical personnel tended to Miller. Practice resume about seven minutes after Miller’s injury occurred. Browns coach Rob Chudzinski updated players about Miller’s condition about an hour later. … Nose tackle Phil Taylor (strained calf) and tight end Kellen Davis (sprained knee) returned to practice after sitting out the past two days. Both players participated in individual drills but not team drills. John Hughes continued to practice at nose tackle with the first-team defense in Taylor’s absence. “We will continue to monitor and look at him, eventually upgrade as the time comes,” Chudzinski said of Taylor. … The Browns moved today’s practice indoors and closed it to the public because of inclement weather. Players were originally scheduled to wear full pads for the first time today, but they wore shoulder pads and helmets instead because Chudzinski wanted to wait for an outdoor practice before giving the green light on full pads. Chudzinski said players would be in full pads Sunday, provided the weather doesn’t mess with the plan again.

Position battles: The following players returned kickoffs in this order: cornerback Buster Skrine, wide receiver Travis Benjamin, running back Dion Lewis and safety Johnson Bademosi. … Wide receiver Jordan Norwood received some time with the first-team offense. … John Greco and Shawn Lauvao continued to practice at left and right guard, respectively, with the first-team offense. Jason Pinkston was the second-team left guard. Pinkston was replaced by undrafted rookie Caylin Hauptmann after committing a false start.

Highlights: The first-team lines were involved in a small skirmish during the first inside running drill of camp in which players wore shoulder pads. … In one-on-one drills pitting wide receivers against defensive backs, receiver Naaman Roosevelt beat cornerback Akeem Auguste and leaped to make a diving catch on a pass from quarterback Brian Hoyer in the front corner of the end zone. … In team drills, tight end Gary Barnidge made an impressive catch on a pass from Hoyer and managed to stay in bounds along the sideline for a gain of about 15 yards. … Rookie outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo, the sixth overall pick in this year’s draft, dropped back in coverage against tight end Brad Smelley and broke up a deep pass from Hoyer on an out route during team drills.
Injuries: Backup offensive right tackle Oniel Cousins sat out today after spraining an ankle Friday. Chudzinski said Cousins will probably be out a couple of weeks. … Fullback Brock Bolen sat out with a strained calf. … Undrafted rookie offensive lineman Chris Faulk (knee) remained sidelined and on the active physically unable to perform list.

Sunday’s schedule: Practice from 4-6:30 p.m. For updates, call 877-627-6967.

http://www.ohio.com

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notebook: Day 3
July 27, 2013 8:48 PM

BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – Receiver Travis Benjamin is the odds on favorite to replace Josh Cribbs returning punt and kickoffs this season.

He has some big shoes to fill too.

“This is the NFL, guys come and guys go,” Benjamin said. “Josh was a great person and great mentor to me. He taught me a lot of things. I can just go into this upcoming season and fill the shoes where he left off.”

Cribbs, who signed with Oakland this offseason, is tied with Leon Washington for the most career kickoff returns for touchdowns (8) in NFL history.

He set Browns franchise records for the most: career kickoff return yards (8,837), career combined kickoff and punt return yards (10,534), career all-purpose yards (12,343), kickoff return yards in a single season (1,809 in 2007), kickoff return touchdowns in a single season: (3 in 2009), all-purpose yards in a single season (2,510 in 2009) and the most career combined Kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns (11).

“Cleveland special teams have been great all these years, so I got the ability to be one of the top returners,” Benjamin said.

At 5-10, 175-pounds, Benjamin doesn’t exactly overwhelm anyone with his size, which some consider to be a liability, but it’s his speed that is dangerous.

“It’s just being a ball player, knowing the things that you can and cannot do,” Benjamin said. “Knowing that my speed will allow me to not to get hit, just maintaining focus on the field. Knowing your environment around you.”

Benjamin’s primary competition for the return gig – Johnson Bademosi and rookie speedster Dion Lewis.

Dueling Safeties – Bademosi is in a head to head competition with Tashaun Gipson for a starting job at free safety next to T.J. Ward.

Bademosi, who popped on film on special teams as a rookie, was moved form corner to safety this offseason by new defensive coordinator Ray Horton.

“At safety you have to have a wider perspective of the field,” Bademosi said. “At corner you have to know everything that’s going on, but at safety you have to verbalize it, and actually say it and tell guys. It’s a transition going from corner to safety, and you definitely have to learn, but corner is mentally challenging as well.”

No Singing In The Rain – The Browns moved practice indoors because it rained into the early afternoon Saturday. The rain stopped before practice began and the sun eventually came out but Chudzinski isn’t second guessing the decision.

“I was hoping to get out,” Chudzinski said. “When I came in here, early in the morning, it was drizzling, and I saw the forecast for the day. We had a lot of wetness on the field. So, it was a combination of the forecast and the fields all being wet and not wanting to tear those up.”

Despite the cramped field house, which is only big enough to accommodate 70 yards of field, Chudzinski said practice wasn’t negatively affected by moving indoors.

“It doesn’t change as much,” Chudzinski said. “Obviously, we didn’t go full pads. For the first day of full pads, I didn’t want to be inside, on the turf. We will be full pads tomorrow. It’s just a tighter space that we have to work with in here, but we were able to get a lot done.”

Injury Update – Defensive tackle Phil Taylor and tight end Kellen Davis practiced Saturday after missing the first 2 days of training camp due to injury.

Taylor was resting a strained calf muscle while Davis had a sprained knee. Both participated in individual drills.

Fullback Brock Bolen, who was signed last week, did not practice due to a calf strain Saturday.

Offensive lineman Oniel Cousins, who walked off the field with trainers Friday, has a sprained ankle. Chudzinski said that he, “will probably be a couple of weeks.”

Up Next – The Browns will practice in pads again Sunday starting at 4. Gates open for fans at 3 – weather permitting.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/07/27/browns-camp-notebook-day-3/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Gipson, Bademosi battling for Browns free safety job
FRED GREETHAM |
Published: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 7:28pm
Battling for Free Safety Job

BEREA – When the Browns let Usama Young leave via free agency and released Eric Hagg this spring, the door was wide open for Tashaun Gipson to step in and claim the Browns starting free safety spot. Gipson had a meteoric rise from being an undrafted free agent rookie from Wyoming who made the roster in 2012 to the starter by the end of the season.

Last year's defensive coordinator Dick Jauron praised Gipson, but with a new coaching staff it was hard to speculate what they thought of him.

“He’s a solid player," head coach Rob Chudzinski said. "He is smart. He works at it. He understands football. He has a good football sense. He’s showing some good coverage skills out here.”

It is obvious Gipson has impressed both Chudzinski and new defensive coordinator Ray Horton, so far.

“I’ve been pleased with Tashaun," Chudzinski said. "He’s showing a lot from a coverage standpoint. The last couple of days just watching him, obviously we put the pads on tomorrow, so we will get a chance to see all the guys pop. From a tackling standpoint that’s where we will get to see some of the physical things and we will get a little bit more of a chance to evaluate some guys.”

The Browns drafted Jamoris Slaughter from Notre Dame in the sixth-round of the 2013 NFL Draft. However, he missed most of last season with a ruptured Achilles tendon and will need to play his way into the competition.

Gipson (5-11, 205) made the team and played in 10 games with three starts in 2012. He finished with 29 tackles, an interception and a pass broken up. He had four special team tackles. Gipson missed five games with a knee injury.

Gipson's primary competition is fellow undrafted rookie free agent from a year ago, Johnson Bademosi, who made his mark as a special teams phenom.

The coaching staff decided to move him from cornerback to safety and he's playing well thus far in training camp. Bademosi, who also plays cornerback, led the Browns last year with 18 special team tackles.

"I feel great," he said. "Every day I'm getting better. The angles are different and the responsibilities are different. But it's a new opportunity for me. The more you can do the longer you can stay (in the NFL)."

Chudzinski said that Bademosi, who is a 6-0, 200-pounder from Stanford, is doing well in making the transition from cornerback to safety.

“I think he’s making progress on a day-to-day basis," Chudzinski said. "It’s a matter of getting comfortable in the new position. It’s something that he’s never played before. I think he’s progressing. Everybody is going to have ups and downs and everybody is going to have good days and bad days, and good plays and bad plays. The key is learning, progressing and going in the right direction.”

Bademosi has been getting his hands on a lot of passes. On Friday, he batted down back-to-back passes from Brian Hoyer. He should've caught one and returned it for a touchdown. On Saturday, Bademosi knocked down a pass intended for Josh Cooper.

"I've been getting my hands on the ball," he said. "Now, I have to catch them."

Bademosi said he intends to open more eyes this season.

"Last year, I did more than what people expected of me and that's the plan to do again this year."

Extra Points

Taylor, Davis Back: Defensive lineman Phil Taylor was back at practice along with tight end Kellen Davis. Both players had missed the first two days of practice. Taylor sat out with a calf injury, while Davis had a knee strain.

"(Taylor) went through individual (drills) today," Chudzinski said. "We'll monitor him and get him out there."

Offensive lineman Oniel Cousins missed practice after rolling his ankle on Friday, and Chudzinski said he might miss a couple of weeks.

Fullback Brock Bolen, who was signed last week, sat out practice with a calf injury.

Indoors: Due to inclement weather, the Browns moved their first scheduled practice with pads indoors and it was closed to the public. The players wore shoulder pads and shorts. The team is scheduled to be in full pads on Sunday.

"I didn't want our first time in full pads to be inside," Chudzinski said.

Sunday's practice is scheduled from 4-6:30 pm and is open to the public.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nfl/clevela...RXvQO5k.twitter

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard