Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

is the training camp report on STO every night? what time?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the report Log, I was wondering if you got a chance to see how Dominique Croom the rookie receiver is doing? Also how about Armonty Bryant?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
THX Log.

I think I may trek to TC next year with my son.

How hard is it to get autographs?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks Log! Love it when people share reports like this.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
jc On a last minute impulse, we went to training camp this afternoon. A few things that stuck out:

Mingo sure looks thin. He moves very fluidly and is very quick.

Travis Benjamin has great hands. Caught everything thrown at him in drills. He was a cut above the rest in the kick return drills also. I'd be surprised if he's not our KR on opening day. Josh Cooper had a lot of trouble hanging on to kickoffs....he dropped 3 that I saw.

Josh Gordon also caught everything thrown at him, including a couple acrobatic snags. He was impressive.

Little and Bess also looked quite competent out there.

Weeden and Little doing some work together after practice.

Spencer Lanning doesn't boom the ball like Hodges did before the injury.

Armonte Bryant is huge! He looked a little unsure of himself and didn't look as polished as the others, especially with his hands..

Greco is also huge....looks more like a tackle.

Haden was going 110% and had a nice pic.

JMJ, Tank Carder and LJ Fort were running the hill after practice.

Garrett Gilkey looks like he'd be fun to party with.

Owen Marecic actually caught some balls today.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Quote:

Garrett Gilkey looks like he'd be fun to party with.

???

Legend
Legend
He was cutting up a little with the fans after practice.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notebook: Day 4
By DARYL RUITER, 92.3 The Fan Browns Beat Reporter

BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – Outside linebacker Paul Kruger was the biggest get this offseason in free agency for the Browns.

Sunday was fans’ first chance to see him – and the rest of the team – up close and in pads.

Kruger, who signed a 5-year, $40.5 million deal, drew 6-time pro bowl left tackle Joe Thomas and the 2 went at it all day.

“Joe’s an awesome player,” Kruger said. “I had experience with him when I was in Baltimore. He’s a great player. He’s great to go against because it prepares you for the top guys in the league. He’s becoming a friend to me, and I have a lot of respect for him as a player. So it’s definitely a good little competition out there.”

Thomas, who has blocked for 10 different starting quarterbacks since being drafted 3rd overall in 2007, has been the anchor for the expansion Browns having never missed an offensive snap.

Barkevious Mingo – the Browns’ 2013 first round pick – has been keeping a watchful eye on Kruger, who spent 4 seasons in Baltimore, to try and learn a trick or 2 during camp.

“First of all I’m just going to say Paul Kruger is a beast,” Mingo said. “The guy’s good and I just love watching the way he plays the game. Him, Jabaal Sheard, and Quentin Groves, those guys come out here and teach us young guys how to play the game, how to counter move and just play football.”

Conversely, Kruger has been just as impressed with what he’s seen from Mingo on and off the field.

“He’s doing all the right things, I mean he really has been, I’m not just saying that,” Kruger said. “He’s just a guy who works hard. He has a good discipline. He’s extremely talented, athletic. He’s just got all the right attributes, so I think you can expect some big things from him.”

Flash Gordon – Josh Gordon flashed his hands Sunday making several nice catches from Brandon Weeden during individual drills, 7 on 7, 9 on 9 and 11 on 11 work.

“He’s [Gordon] a big target in the middle of the field,” Weeden said. “Perfect coverage, perfect play call and that’s how you draw them up. I wish they were all like that.”

Gordon beat Gipson for one score during a 9 on 9 series then Chris Owens on a post for another to wrap up the first team 11 on 11 work.

Head coach Rob Chudzinski has enjoyed watching Gordon on the field the last 2 days.

“The last two days, Josh has really come out and competed,” Chudzinski said. “He has come out with a plan in practice specifically of what he wants to work on and get better. He’s done that. You see those plays he is able to make; he is going after the ball and going strong for the ball.”

Gordon, who will miss the first 2 games of the season due to a suspension for a failed drug test, is putting in extra work to prepare for the remaining 14 games he’ll play.

Tashaun Goes Down – Safety Tashaun Gipson did not enjoy being matched up with receiver Josh Gordon Sunday.

Gipson sprained his shoulder when he collided with Gordon on a pass over the middle in 11 on 11′s. The catch by Gordon drew a few oohs and aahs from the packed house.

Preventing injury in practice is a priority and why coaches do their best to limit contact but Chudzinski didn’t have a problem with the play.

“The ones down the field are the ones we are trying to stay away from,” Chudzinski said. “That was just a case of both of them going for that ball. That’s going to happen.”

Gipson returned a short time later after being attended to by a trainer but was pulled for the day after giving up a touchdown in the back of the end zone to Gordon in a red zone 11 on 11 series.

“I’m not concerned about it,” Chudzinski said about Gipson’s status. “I think it will be a day-to-day type thing.”

Johnson Bademosi and Josh Aubrey replaced Gipson with the first-team defense.

Injury Update – Offensive lineman Ryan Miller was back in Berea Sunday – a day after he was carted off the field and rushed to the hospital.

Miller, who was released Saturday evening, is going through the NFL’s concussion protocol Chudzinski said. He must pass a series of tests before returning to the field.

Running back Montario Hardesty is day-to-day with a hamstring injury, as is defensive end Desmond Bryant who has back spasms according to Chudzinski.

Chudzinski said that he wasn’t concerned about Bryant or Hardesty’s injuries.

Oniel Cousins, Jamoris Slaughter and Chris Faulk also did not practice on Sunday.

Up Next – The Browns will practice again Monday in Berea at 4 and gates open for fans at 3.

Prior to Monday’s practice team president Alec Scheiner will hold a press conference at 3 to outline the team’s initiatives for game day this season at FirstEnergy Stadium.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com

For those that care, Pinkston was working with the 2nd team at RG today, Gilkey at LG

Last edited by Pdawg; 07/28/13 10:20 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Backup running back Dion Lewis steals the show on Day 4 of Browns camp
Jul 28, 2013 -- 8:45pm

By Tony Grossi

Observations, notes, quotes and some facts on Day 4 of Browns training camp …

* A flash crowd of 4,466 arrived for the first day in full pads. It was a single day record for a camp practice in Berea, according to the Browns.

The fans, exhorted on two occasions by coach Rob Chudzinski, saw the rush linebackers put on an exhibition. All four – starters and backups – had their moments beating linemen and getting into the backfield.

But the player who stole the show on this day was backup running back Dion Lewis, who had an Eric Metcalf moment in a red zone period.

Lewis accepted a short flare-out pass to the right from Jason Campbell, made a direct cut to his left, juking undrafted free agent safety Kenronte Walker out of his shoes, then scooted to the right and into the end zone. The crowd loved it.

“I’m supposed to do that,” Lewis said. “I don’t expect to lose a one-on-one situation, so … I’m not surprised at all. Anything else is a letdown.”

It was the second day in a row Lewis stood out. On Saturday, he took advantage of the artificial turf indoors and put on stop-and-go bursts on screen plays. On Sunday, Lewis got more work because No. 2 back Montario Hardesty was out with a hamstring injury.

“I feel like I can catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield,” Lewis said. “Whenever I can do that and be one-on-one with a linebacker, I feel I excel.”

Lewis was acquired from the Eagles in exchange for linebacker Emmanuel Acho. He is 5-8 and 195 and possesses more quickness than any of the backs.

“That guy’s got unbelievable feet,” Brandon Weeden said. “I was joking with the quarterbacks and said I’d love to see him do the foot ladder (drill) with us before practice. I’d hate to be stuck in the open field with him. He can make you miss and make you look silly. He brings a different dimension than what we do with Trent. He catches the ball extremely well. He’s a nice little change-up for us.”

* Rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo enjoyed the first day of pads. Mingo displayed his quickness and some counter moves rushing from both the right and left sides with the second team defense.

“He flashed,” said Chudzisnki. “I saw him getting around the edge on some guys. He had a nice counter move as well. It was a good day to see him in pads.”

“I felt I had a pretty good practice,” Mingo said. “Made some mistakes, made some plays. I just have to keep moving forward.”

It’s hard to recall a high draft pick making such an immediate solid impression on his new teammates.

“Mingo’s doing all the right things,” said linebacker Paul Kruger. “Really, I’m not just saying that. He works hard, he has good discipline, he’s extremely talented and athletic. He’s just got all the right attributes. I think you can expect some big things from him.”

* Late in the red zone period, Chudzinski turned to the crowd and said, “Fourth down for the game, right here.”

From the 5-yard line, the Browns lined up three receivers in a bunch to the right and a tight end on the left. From the shotgun, Weeden flicked the ball on a line to Mr. Smooth, Josh Gordon, angling on a skinny post to the back of the end zone.

Money play.

“It’s pretty good,” Weeden said. “It’s a good route. He’s a big target in the middle of the field. Perfect coverage, perfect play-call. I wish they were all like that.”

* Chudzinski had nothing new to report on Ryan Miller, the offensive lineman who suffered a concussion on a helmet hit in a one-on-one drill on Saturday. The coach said that Miller now will follow NFL protocol on concussions. He won’t be cleared to return until he passes a series of tests over a few days.

Safety Tashaun Gipson sprained a shoulder in a collision with Gordon and stayed out the rest of the day. Chudzinski said it would be day to day. Running back Montario Hardesty (hamstring), defensive end Desmond Bryant (back spasms) and safety Jamoris Slaughter (Achilles) did not work.

http://espncleveland.com/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Here is a link to the move by Lewis.

http://instagram.com/p/cU2ImRmYjJ/#

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

is the training camp report on STO every night? what time?

11:30pm

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns training camp: Transcript from news conference with coach Rob Chudzinski
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 28, 2013

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski met with reporters today following the fourth full-squad practice of training camp. Here is a transcript from the news conference:

Opening statement: “Good afternoon, we had a good first day in pads. We started out a little bit slow, but we picked it up and ended up having a good practice. We really focused a lot on the red zone. It’s an area where we really want to concentrate and improve, and make improvements on this season. We had a good practice. Just to give you a Ryan Miller update, there is no new news with him. He is currently in the NFL concussion protocol. I saw him last night before we got to our nightly meetings. I’ll take questions now.”

On Montario Hardesty: “Montario has a hamstring. He’s day-to-day; I’m not concerned about him.”

On Desmond Bryant not taking any reps: “He’s had back spasms. He will be day-to-day.”

On Tashaun Gipson: “He sprained his shoulder. I’m not concerned about it. I think it will be a day-to-day type thing.”

On whether the injury happened on the collision between Gipson and Josh Gordon: “Right. Yep.”

On quarterback decisions in the red zone: “Good ones for sure. Being the first day, everything is tighter. Obviously the space is tighter down there. Decisions have to be quicker. Getting comfortable what we are doing from a scheme standpoint, because everything is quicker down there. These guys getting familiar with that and doing it and executing it and seeing it over and over again is the important thing. That is what we are looking for.”

On how much contact he tolerates, regarding the Gipson-Gordon collision: “The ones down the field are the ones we are trying to stay away from. That was just a case of both of them going for that ball. That’s going to happen.”

On Dion Lewis: “I thought he did a good job. He’s had a couple of good practices out there since pads have come on. I think I stressed yesterday how with running backs it’s easier to see them and evaluate them when actual blocking schemes are happening. He’s had a good couple of days.”

On the unknown with a young offense: “Well that’s part of this process in training camp. We want to be able to look at them and for them to give a chance to show what they can do, for us to assess them and to be able to see what their strengths are, to be able to adjust and put in the best things to succeed.”

On the worry factor not knowing what he has on offense: “It’s fairly typical for this time of year to be in that position, especially being new coming in. I’ve been through a few different situations. You learn as you go. Those guys have opportunities; it’s called competing. But we are learning them as well.”

On the punt-return candidates: “We are going to look at and continue to work a big group of guys in the punt-return area and the kickoff-return area. We’ll have opportunities during the preseason to work a number of them. We will pair it down by then and get the guys that we want to get.”

On not sending any defense downfield on punt return: “Yeah, because a lot of times you’re not live out here in these punt situations, so getting in the games when they are actually catching and having to return the balls, then you have a chance to see them a little better.”

On how fast to pair the group down: “Yeah, it’s good to have a big group because you never know from an injury standpoint. You want to make sure you have a big pool of guys to pull from and we’ll pair it as it applies to that.”

On Brandon Weeden’s first day outside with pads: “Again, we will have to look at film, but I thought for the first day of red zone there were some ups and some downs, as all of them had. As they get more familiar with what we’re doing in the package, the decisions are quicker and the effectiveness is better.”

On Weeden being on schedule so far: “I don’t look at it from a schedule standpoint. Where I look at it from is an improvement standpoint. Us being able to learn about him, then we will be able to tailor what we’re doing to him or any other quarterback or players that are in there.”

On improvement of Brandon Weeden: “He has improved.”

On Josh Gordon: “The last two days, Josh has really come out and competed. He has come out with a plan in practice specifically of what he wants to work on and get better. He’s done that. You see those plays he is able to make; he is going after the ball and going strong for the ball.”

On whether giving consistent effort is a challenge for Josh Gordon: “Well, I think it is for everybody. Here, you want to push guys. You want to put them in situations that are tougher, stress them and push them when they are tired, and that is what training camp is really for. It’s about developing mental toughness and we want to do that with everyone on our team as well.”

On how valuable Mingo is after seeing first day in full pads: “It’s great work for him. He flashed. I saw him getting around the edge on some guys. He had a nice counter move on his pass rush. It was a good day to see him and be able to get him in pads. You can see these guys in full speed, finally.”

On Paul Kruger’s pass rush: “Yeah, Paul had a couple nice pressures today, too.”

On tight end group: “Yeah, I see improvement from that group. Kellen Davis, it was good to see him back out there practicing today. So we will get a good competition in that whole group. Brad Smelley is doing a number of different things. The group is improving. It is a group that doesn’t get a lot of snaps, but they’re improving out here and working at it.”

On Dion Lewis’ quickness: “He does. He can stop and start. We talked about it a little earlier; he’s had a nice two days. He has good vision and I think that is showing up as well.”

On Shawn Lauvao: “I think Shawn’s done well the last day in pads. I will have to go in and see after practice on how he looked. He’s playing physical. He’s working on his technique, which is something he wants to focus on. We will see as this goes on.”

On how valuable it is that most of the offensive line has past experience on the field: “Obviously, they have all played. Getting over that first hurdle of being in games is huge. They’ve all worked with the other guys, which part of that process of communication and being comfortable with other guys out there, we have a jump start on that.”

http://www.ohio.com

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

On tight end group: “Yeah, I see improvement from that group. Kellen Davis, it was good to see him back out there practicing today. So we will get a good competition in that whole group. Brad Smelley is doing a number of different things. The group is improving. It is a group that doesn’t get a lot of snaps, but they’re improving out here and working at it.”

very telling quotes. 1 Smelly is getting the praise there as expected. Cameron isnt mentioned but what i found most interesting is that the group doesnt get a lot of snaps quote. Sounds like multiple receiver offense more than the 2 te offense that was speculated upon. I think they can do this because this is such a big group of receivers.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

On Weeden being on schedule so far: “I don’t look at it from a schedule standpoint. Where I look at it from is an improvement standpoint. Us being able to learn about him, then we will be able to tailor what we’re doing to him or any other quarterback or players that are in there.”

The key to winning football....tailor the offense to the QB and avoid pounding square pegs in round holes....

Someone send PF a note and tell him what real NFL coaches do these days....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
I like what Little had to say last year about being a pro ...... and he's definitely walking the walk since then as well. I think that he's going to be a huge part of what we do this year.

Browns training camp: Wide receiver Greg Little showing he means business - Top Stories - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/bro...siness-1.416686

BEREA: A pattern has developed with Browns wide receiver Greg Little during training camp. He’s usually one of the last players, if not the very last one, to leave the field after every practice.

So as the majority of the 90-man roster heads to the locker room and hits the showers after 2½ hours of on-field work, Little stands in the line of fire, catching balls zipped toward him by a JUGS passing machine.

Perhaps it’s a sign he is growing up. Plagued by dropped passes, inconsistent performances and flashes of immaturity in his first two seasons, Little seems to be carrying himself a bit differently than before.

“I just understand the profession of the business and the time that goes into preparation,” said Little, a second-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. “I understand what you put in is what you’re going to get out. It’s a long season, and we’re just going to prepare for this uphill climb and this journey.

“I think the sky’s the limit for me. The way I prepare during training camp, the way I prepared during this offseason is going to put me in position to do everything and achieve every goal I have set for myself.”

The Browns need Little to rise to the occasion this year, especially during the first two games of the regular season when their No. 1 receiver, Josh Gordon, will serve a suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Gordon said he failed a drug test as a result of prescribed cough medicine that contained codeine, which the NFL classifies as a banned substance.

“I spent a lot of time with Josh,” Little said. “He and I worked out together in the offseason. It’s not a leadership thing. It’s a brotherhood thing. It’s an accountability thing. He’s got my back, and I have his back. Josh made a mistake, and he’s learning from it. And I think it’s going to make Josh a better person and a better player.

“Josh is very accountable from this point on. He’s going to respond in a very professional manner from this point on. He’s going to come back in Week 3 ready to roll. It’s some of the trials and tribulations I went through as a rookie. Not necessarily to that extent, but knowing how to conduct yourself off the field.”

Wake-up call

Little had some problems not only as a rookie, but also in his second NFL season.

He drew the ire of ex-Browns coach Pat Shurmur and fans last year by imitating Olympic track star Usain Bolt’s trademark pose to signal first downs when he caught the ball instead of dropping it. Shurmur threatened to bench Little, who further annoyed fans on Twitter by insisting he didn’t care what they thought. Little then took a break from Twitter and played better in the second half of the season.

The threat of losing his starting job seemed to serve as a wake-up call for Little. It’s still early, but Little has been all business through organized team activities in May, the team’s three-day mandatory minicamp in June and the early stages of training camp.

“I have been really pleased with Greg all along,” Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said. “He’s made really big strides in the spring. He still has a long way to go and a lot to learn about football, playing receiver and the details of the position. That is the biggest thing I stress with all the guys — these guys have potential, but it’s about knowledge, it’s about detail and it’s about drive. Those are the things, to reach your potential you have to focus on. So that’s what we’ve been talking a lot about.”

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Little believes Chudzinski knows how to push his buttons the right way. Chudzinski reminds him of Butch Davis, the former Browns coach who guided Little at the University of North Carolina.

“Chud is a lot like Butch,” said Little, who started all 16 games last season and compiled a team-high 53 catches for 647 yards and four touchdowns. “They communicate very well. They motivate very well. [Those are] the things that I love about a coach, a guy that can motivate me, a guy that can pull the best out of me. And Chud is all of that.”

Always working to improve

The Browns need Little to remain motivated when it really counts. Little is next on the depth chart after Gordon, and he figures to be a top target for quarterback Brandon Weeden in the vertical, downfield passing attack Chudzinski and offensive coordinator Norv Turner want to feature.

Little has done his homework on the system. He has studied film of receivers who excelled under Chudzinski while he served as the offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers and Turner while he coached the San Diego Chargers. The list includes Brandon LaFell, Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd.

“He wants to work,” Weeden said of Little. “He’s got a great mentality, great attitude right now. As a quarterback … you just want to throw it to him because you know he’s going to compete, and he’s going to do his job to make a play. I’m excited with Greg. He wants to work after practice. He wants to talk before practice. He’s always wanting to do something to get better.”

For example, Little and fellow Browns receiver Josh Cooper spent three days earlier this month working out with Weeden in Oklahoma.

“It’s really good for [Weeden] to know he can throw the ball up, and I’m going to come down with it,” Little said.

“That just happens with repetition and building that relationship with him.”

Speaking of relationships, Little is still trying to gain trust from the new regime. Chudzinski and Co. are encouraged by Little’s offseason of progress, but they hope it’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I didn't notice Croom. I was on the defensive sidelines, so it was tougher to notice offensive players unless they made a play that truly made me take notice. The only exception was TEs came over about 1/3 of the way through and were scrimmaging with the LBs.

I saw Bryant, in that I was looking to identify him and picked him out of the lineup. But, he didn't stand out in the drills that I saw.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Someone send PF a note

I've been thinking where is Upbeat...I forgot the new handle and I have no P/message history here to see.

I read the above quote...and I'm like who/what is PF??? I'm like Shurmur??? Then I'm like PF? Oh PIG FACE...Upbeat is in the house

Thanks for sharing the articles on our camp dawgs...I really like Chud - you know I've been reading some posts and people debating whether he was our 1st choice or not...lol I can care less what I care about is WAS HE THE RIGHT CHOICE...What I like about the Choice is we picked a young man ready to make his mark and we will have him here for a LONG LONG TIME!

Every thing I read from him so far this camp I thought of as good and impressive. I think he is the PERFECT HC for us!

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I've been thinking where is Upbeat...I forgot the new handle and I have no P/message history here to see.

Oh I'm still alive and kicking, I have been very very busy this year I started a web site and am doing some CNC Programming and design work in my off hours, which amounts to none.

I have played golf I think maybe 3 times this year, and if I'm to busy for golf then, well I'm to busy..

The girls are great and actually asked about you and the wife the other day.

How's the team/ your health?

To bad you didn't make it over this year the pool is like 90 degrees well 88 actually...

And how about our Browns ? we now have a actual HC and 1st rate staff I'm thinking PO this year maybe we should get together and head west??? I think this is going to be the year...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Jaball vs Joe, glad to hear you think it's a great match. Proof that Jaball can attack without his hand being in the dirt.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
thanks for the info, Log!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I like what Little had to say last year about being a pro ...... and he's definitely walking the walk since then as well. I think that he's going to be a huge part of what we do this year.

I'm all in on Little. He may not be as physically talented as Gordon but his approach says he really "wants it". I haven't given up on Gordon but so far I'm not getting the same intensity vibe I get from Greg. AKA Little BIG MAN

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Geno Smith's conditioning "embarrassing":

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...is-embarrassing

Quote:

"And Geno Smith looked like he had done no conditioning. It was actually embarrassing to see how far behind he (Mark) Sanchez and (Matt) Simms and everybody else that's there."

Legend
Legend
Browns training camp snapshot: WR Josh Gordon pulled from team drills because of patella tendonitis
By Nate Ulrich Published: July 29, 2013

The Browns held their fifth full-squad practice of training camp today. Below is a glance at what unfolded.

Storylines: Josh Gordon, the team’s No. 1 wide receiver, was pulled out of team drills because he’s dealing with patella tendonitis in his knee, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said. “He started out, tried to push through it, but we pulled him and sat him down for the rest of practice,” Chudzinski said. “I’m not concerned about it. It shouldn’t be too big of a deal.” The NFL suspended Gordon for the first two games of the regular season for violating its substance-abuse policy. Gordon said he failed a drug test as a result of prescribed cough medicine that contained codeine, which the NFL classifies as a banned substance. Chudzinski said there wasn’t a specific incident in practice that caused Gordon to suffer patella tendonitis. “No, it had been bothering him,” Chudzinski said. When asked whether Gordon will undergo an MRI, Chudzinski said, “We’ll see about that. Again, I’m not concerned about it. It doesn’t look to be too serious, but I’ll let you know tomorrow on that. And obviously as far as reps, we want our guys to get as many reps as possible.” At one point early in practice, a coach yelled at Gordon to finish a drill with hustle, but he walked. Chudzinski said it was because of the patella tendonitis. … The Browns worked on their two-minute drill for the first time since camp started last week. Quarterback Brandon Weeden completed passes of 21 and 15 yards to wide receiver Travis Benjamin to set up Shayne Graham’s successful 43-yard field goal, which capped the first-team offense’s opening drive. During the second-team offense’s first try, quarterback Jason Campbell completed a 36-yard touchdown to wide receiver Jordan Norwood, who beat the coverage of cornerback Abdul Kennah. Brandon Bogotay then made a 48-yard field goal to get his rep in. During the first-team offense’s second attempt, Weeden led the team to inside the 10-yard line. But on third-and-goal on the 7, cornerback Chris Owen intercepted a pass from Weeden in the end zone. Quarterback Brian Hoyer orchestrated the second-team offense’s second try. On third-and-9 on the 14, Hoyer fired pass into heavy traffic, it was deflected and undrafted rookie safety Kent Richardson picked it off.

Position battles: With Tashaun Gipson sitting out with a sprained shoulder, Johnson Bademosi took the reps with the first-team defense. … With defensive end Desmond Bryant sidelined with an injured back, Billy Winn worked with the first unit. … Nose tackle Phil Taylor took his first reps in team drills since camp started, but he was limited as he continues to recover from a strained calf. Ishmaa’ily Kitchen and John Hughes took reps with the first-team defense while Taylor rested. … Owens practiced with the first unit opposite cornerback Joe Haden. … John Greco and Shawn Lauvao continued to work at left and right guard, respectively, with the first-team offense. Meanwhile, Jason Pinkston spent time at right guard with the second unit. … T.J. Conley punted with the first team, followed by Spencer Lanning.

Highlights: Wide receiver Greg Little leaped to make an impressive catch from Weeden on a post route in team drills. … Cornerback Joe Haden broke up a deep pass from Weeden to Little in team drills. … Inside linebacker Craig Robertson intercepted a pass from Weeden that was intended for running back Dion Lewis on an out route. … Weeden connected with Little and tight end Jordan Cameron for touchdowns in red-zone team drills. … Hoyer threw a touchdown pass over the middle to tight end Kellen Davis during an 11-on-11, red-zone drill.

Injuries: Running back Montario Hardesty (hamstring), rookie free safety Jamoris Slaughter (hamstring), fullback Brock Bolen (calf), offensive linemen Ryan Miller (concussion), Chris Faulk (knee) and Oniel Cousins (ankle) remained idle along with Gipson (shoulder) and Bryant (back).

Tuesday’s schedule: No practice. The next practice is scheduled to run from 4-6:30 p.m. Wednesday. For updates, call 877-627-6967.

http://www.ohio.com

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns show a glimpse of two games without WR Josh Gordon
Jul 29, 2013 -- 8:06pm

By Tony Grossi

Observations, notes, quotes and some facts on Day 5 of Browns training camp …

* Receiver Josh Gordon was held out after individual drills. There seemed to be a disagreement about Gordon’s effort in finishing plays.

At one point in individuals, a coach screamed to Gordon to “finish!” and Gordon gave off some undesirable body language. Soon after, when the team drills began, Gordon was pulled out. Gordon spent the rest of the practice watching from the sideline.

A scheduled interview with Gordon after practice on “Training Camp Daily” on SportsTime Ohio then was canceled by the Browns’ media relations department.

Coach Rob Chudzinski began his post-practice remarks with a report on Gordon.

“Josh Gordon had some patellar tendinitis, so he started out, tried to push through it and we pulled him and sat him down for the rest of practice. Not concerned about it. Shouldn’t be too big a deal,” the coach said.

Asked if there was an incident that caused the injury, Chudzinski said, “It just had been bothering him. He went through a little bit through the individual (period) and it was bothering him enough that we stopped him.”

Travis Benjamin took Gordon’s place with the first team. In a two-minute drill later in the practice, Benjamin joined Greg Little and Davone Bess in three-receiver formations. It was the first indication of how the Browns might compensate for Gordon during his two-game suspension to start the season.

“I did good,” said Benjamin, who has caught the ball well in his second training camp. “We’ve been rotating every day. He’ll take a couple reps, I’ll take a couple reps. It’s just a (good) feeling of going with the ones and making progress with it.”

* The offenses executed two-minute situations for the first time. Results were “mixed,” as Chudzinski put it.

In the first set of drills, the offenses were aiming to set up a field goal with 50 seconds on the clock at the 40-yard line. A Brandon Weeden completion of 16 yards set up the first field goal, made from 42 yards by Shayne Graham.

Jason Campbell threw a touchdown to Jordan Norwood over defensive back Josh Aubrey, who didn’t look for the ball, with the No. 2 unit. Coaches then sent in Brandon Bogotay to try a field goal from 47 yards, and he made it.

The No. 1 offense came back on with 52 seconds on the clock to try for a touchdown. Weeden got the offense to the 7-yard line, and then a third-down pass on the run intended for Bess was intercepted by Chris Owens.

Brian Hoyer then got his shot with the second team. Josh Cooper made a good sideline catch, getting both feet down just in time, at the 14. But on the next play, Hoyer threw high into the middle of the field. The ball was deflected and intercepted by defensive back Kent Richardson.

“ We’ll continue to work on those situations,” said Chudzinski.

* For the second day in a row, running back Montario Hardesty (hamstring) was among the players not practicing.

* For the first time, nose tackle Phil Taylor took a few reps in team drills.

* When the first team offense deployed a fullback, Chris Ogbonnaya filled the role.

* Players are off on Tuesday, so there is no practice. Chudzinski said the team would be in full pads on Wednesday.

* Team President Alec Scheiner outline enhancements being made on game days.

They include: 20 new turnstiles and 44 new security screening chutes to speed entrance into FirstEnergy Stadium, upgraded cell phone service, an improved team store plus new merchandise kiosks throughout, new player introductions, a DJ on the field to play music before the game and one in a stadium booth to take over during the game, a drumline to stir up excitement, and more than 100 televisions to fan areas inside the stadium. Scheiner said there also will be surprises that will not be unveiled until the season opener on Sept. 8.
http://espncleveland.com

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns Camp Notebook: Day 5
By DARYL RUITER, 92.3 The Fan Browns Beat Reporter

BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – A day after being praised by head coach Rob Chudzinski, Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon watched the team’s 11 on 11 work from the sideline.

But Gordon, who is suspended for the first 2 weeks of the season due to a failed drug test, is not in the dog house.

Gordon tried to practice Monday but was pulled from team drills due to patella tendinitis according to Chudzinski, who tried to downplay his concern.

“He started out, tried to push through it, but we pulled him and sat him down for the rest of practice,” Chudzinski said. “I’m not concerned about it. It shouldn’t be too big of a deal.”

Early in practice an assistant coach yelled at Gordon to finish a drill but he walked. Chudzinski said it was because of the tendinitis.

Chudzinski added that Gordon had been bothered by it but it’s unclear if he will undergo an MRI.

“We’ll see about that,” Chudzinski said. “Again, I’m not concerned about it. It doesn’t look to be too serious, but I’ll let you know tomorrow on that. And obviously as far as reps, we want our guys to get as many reps as possible.”

Gordon was shaken up during the first official practice of camp last Thursday. It was just a cramp and he returned to practice the next day and was not limited.

2-Minute Drill – The Browns broke out their 2-minute offense Monday as Chudzinski put them in real late game situations.

The first situation was: drive start at their own 40, trailing 21-20 with no timeouts and 0:50 on the clock.

Quarterback Brandon Weeden completed passes of 21 and 15 yards to receiver Travis Benjamin to set up Shayne Graham’s 43-yard field goal to win it for the first-team offense. Jason Campbell then completed 4-of-7 passes including a 36-yard touchdown to wide receiver Jordan Norwood, who beat cornerback Abdul Kennah, to win it for the second-team offense.

Brandon Bogotay also kicked a 48-yard field goal to get a rep in.

The second situation was: drive start at the opponent’s 38, trailing 24-20

Weeden led the team to inside the 10-yard line highlighted by a 20-yard strike to Greg Little. On 3rd-and-goal from the 7, Weeden scrambled hoping to find a receiver but was picked off in the end zone by Chris Owen. Brian Hoyer handled the second-team offense and moved them to the 14. On 3rd-and-9 on the 14, Hoyer threw into heavy traffic and the pass was deflected then picked out of the air by undrafted rookie safety Kent Richardson.

“There was one or two early that the offense that they did well,” Chudzinski said. “The defense ended up stopping the offense down tight later on. So, it’s good to have that back-and-forth. We really want to focus on the situations that come up. We will continue to work those different types of situations where we purposely set up to try to cover everything that can happen at the end of the game.”

Jacked Up – Jabaal Sheard is enjoying his moved from defensive end to outside linebacker.

“I love it man, going against tight ends, guys that are my size or a little bit less,” Sheard said. “It’s a little easier to jack those guys up and try and find the ball.”

Sheard is expected to start at right outside linebacker in front of rookie Barkevious Mingo.

“I’m getting better and better everyday working with [linebackers] coach Bake [Brian Baker], Krug. All of us work together in the film room. We get a lot of work done. It’s been a great camp so far.

Kick Off – Shayne Grahm won a pre-practice “kick off” with Brandon Bogotay to determine who got to kick with the first team during the team’s 2-minute offense situational drill.

Bogotay has flashed a big leg this offseason but lost the pre-practice battle.

Chudzinski said that the competition between the 2 is “very tight” and it would be his preference to keep 1 kicker when the final 53-man roster is set on Aug. 31. Chudzinski didn’t completely rule out the possibility of keeping both but that would not be ideal in his view.

Injuries – DT Desmond Bryant, FS Tashaun Gipson, DB Jamoris Slaughter, RB Montario Hardesty, OL Oniel Cousins and OL Ryan Miller all missed practice Monday.

Up Next – The Browns are off Tuesday. Camp resumes Wednesday with a 4 p.m. practice; gates will open for fans at 3.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the updates, guys.

Quote:

* Receiver Josh Gordon was held out after individual drills. There seemed to be a disagreement about Gordon’s effort in finishing plays.

At one point in individuals, a coach screamed to Gordon to “finish!” and Gordon gave off some undesirable body language. Soon after, when the team drills began, Gordon was pulled out. Gordon spent the rest of the practice watching from the sideline.

A scheduled interview with Gordon after practice on “Training Camp Daily” on SportsTime Ohio then was canceled by the Browns’ media relations department.

Coach Rob Chudzinski began his post-practice remarks with a report on Gordon.

“Josh Gordon had some patellar tendinitis, so he started out, tried to push through it and we pulled him and sat him down for the rest of practice. Not concerned about it. Shouldn’t be too big a deal,” the coach said.

I got a bad feeling about this dude. I'm surprised it's not being discussed more. Wonder why that could be?

Other things:

--Mixed results w/the QBs. I was listening to the radio while going to dinner last night and they were talking about how Weeden wasn't looking too good. They mentioned that he has been inaccurate w/a lot of his throws. They also said they weren't concerned. LOL

---The news on Sheard is brighter. Like I said in another thread, I think the guy is better suited to playing as an OLBer in a 3-4 than he was as a 4-3 DE. He's got a good motor. He'll have more space to work in. He won't be engulfed by big bodies as frequently. This should be a good move for him.

--Sounds like Owens is having a decent camp.

--Glad to see Taylor back on the field. He needs reps because he is one guy who tires easily. I liked that Kitchen guy last year. He takes up space and does a nice job of clogging traffic. Not a sensational player, but an effective one.

--Looks like our OL may be set. I wonder how Gilkey is doing? Anyone watch him while they were at camp?

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Top 5 takeaways from 5th camp practice
Posted by Vic Carucci on July 30, 2013 – 2:10 am

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the fifth day of practice at Browns training camp:

>>Chris Owens pulling ahead in cornerback battle. It seems that in each practice, Owens does something that makes you think he is the best choice to start at cornerback opposite Joe Haden. On Monday, he intercepted a pass in the end zone during a two-minute drill, effectively making a game-winning play. The 5-foot-9 Owens consistently puts himself in position to either swipe passes or to deny receivers, even those much taller than him, a chance to get the ball. This isn’t to say that Buster Skrine, his next-closest challenger, is out of the running. But Skrine spent a good deal of time Monday working inside. Rookie Leon McFadden seems to have a good deal to learn before he can make a serious push.

>>Josh Cooper overcomes the drops. The second-year receiver’s camp performance got off to a shaky start with numerous dropped passes during the first practice. Since then, Cooper has shown more reliable hands. He is catching almost everything that comes his way on short, intermediate and deeper routes. Cooper is embracing the challenge of trying to win a backup spot as a slot receiver behind Davone Bess. And it looks to be a fairly daunting one. Jordan Norwood has been consistently impressive, and David Nelson seems to be returning to the form he showed as a dangerous red-zone target for the Bills before suffering a season-ending knee injury last year.

>>Jabaal Sheard’s continued dominance. Once again, Sheard is demonstrating that he was meant to be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He is displaying excellent quickness off the ball and tremendous strength when tangling with one of the very best offensive tackles in the NFL, Joe Thomas. Sheard also has had no problem adjusting to pass-coverage responsibilities. He shows good body control, and is fluid in his movement. As a defensive end in the 4-3, Sheard was a more effective pass-rusher during his rookie season in 2011 than he was last year. Part of that was because he added weight in an effort to be a more complete player and take on blockers at the point of attack against the run. Sheard has taken some weight off to improve his speed and athleticism, but actually seems stronger.

>>Jordan Cameron excelling. With each practice, it becomes increasingly evident that the tight end is going to be a key component to a more explosive offense. Cameron routinely flies off the line of scrimmage and promptly finds an opening in the secondary. He is just as effective on short and intermediate routes as he is on deeper ones. Cameron almost always provides a coverage mismatch for the defense, because he is generally larger and stronger and every bit as athletic as the defender trying to cover him.

>>Don’t forget about Brandon Jackson. A day after Dion Lewis put on an impressive show to help strengthen his case for a reserve running back spot, Jackson stepped up to show that he, too, at least belongs in that conversation. Jackson showed good speed, explosiveness, and power. Chris Ogbonnaya, another candidate for a backup role in the backfield, did some solid work at fullback.

>>Bonus observation. Defensive coordinator Ray Horton summed it up perfectly for the members of his unit when, as the Browns went through two-minute drills where the defense was protecting a lead, he said, “Keep ’em in-bounds, and the game’s over, men.”

Interesting read on Cameron. I really like what I am hearing about Sheard.

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 07/30/13 08:13 AM.
Legend
Legend
That's the first I've heard about Jordan Cameron looking good. All other reports I've read said he was not showing much, if not downright struggling. I hope this article is the case.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, me too.

Carucci is not very objective though. He always paints w/a rosy brush.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Carucci, is a hired pen !

Legend
Legend
I will say this though ... I haven't seen one real positive article/blurb/mention about McFadden to this point. Everything I've read has described him as looking very raw (which is probably expected for a 3rd round rookie) ... but the notion that he will start the year opposite Joe, as some have been saying since April, is pretty laughable.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
You have a bad feeling about a kid kicked out of 2 schools for drugs and suspended for failing another drug test? Ok Miss Cleo lmao. Just poking, I said when drafted, I would not have spent more than a 6th on a kid like that. You cant depend on him.

Now to be fair to Gordon, he very well may have an injury and has been trying to push through it. If That indeed was the case, it is a good thing. I want the guy thats gonna push even if banged up. In the footage I have seen of camp thus far, it has seemed like Gordon's effort has been a stock report. Last year it was because he was so out of shape that once he ran a route, he had nothing left for the next lol.

Anyway the Cameron report, everything I have heard has been about the FA we brought in from Carolina and Smelly as being the 2 guys that are shinging at the TE position. Hopefully for the Browns sake Cameron is starting to get it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Just saw this article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...held-up-by-refs

Jist of it is the refs may not allow for Kelly to operate his offense with the tempo like he did in college. My first thought was "well if you need to slow down and have a more lethargic offense, then Chip hired the perfect guy in Pat Shurmur". Haha

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Not hearing too much about our kicking game. Replacing an All Pro worries me. What is anyone at camp seeing?

Legend
Legend
I want to fall in love with this guy's effort, growth, and success as a Browns player. But if this is still a druggy/headcase/ attitude guy, trade him. Get something for him or make sure he keeps his nose clean. A little poison in your waterhole goes a long way.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Not hearing too much about our kicking game. Replacing an All Pro worries me. What is anyone at camp seeing?

You didn't hear much about it in previous years either, but i understand the interest.

I read yesterday that Graham hit his 45 yard kick while in the drill to get in to scoring position with maybe 30 seconds to go.

In Bogatay's try we actually score a TD on a long pass, so the coaches set him up from 48 yards, and he hit his.

I am sure as camp proceeds the staff will continue to simulate pressure on the kicker(s). A common one is to end practice with a long kick. If made, everybody heads to the lockerroom. If missed, everybody runs 10 gassers.

That isn't a way for the others on the team to hate the kicker. It's a way for them to root for him and know he can and does make kicks, but as with any kicker, he is going to miss every once in a while and that's just the way it goes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ouch, 'peen! That red, man it's tough on the eyes...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
It's what happens when you quote someone who changed the font color. Wish they'd fix that...

// Gabbert returned to practice after minor ankle sprain.

// Mario Williams returns to Bill's practice (sure they are very happy to get him back)

// Seattle's Percy Harvin will undergo hip surgery (sure this is deflating to that offense).

All stories can be found on nfl.com as I am too darn lazy to link em' up

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...Wow good stuff dawgs.

Thanks for feeding us who are far from the action there. Especially the Personal Accounts from visiting training camp.

Any reports on the OL - Drills, who is battling who? Who looks strong, who looks weak? Etc.

Much appreciated!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just to piggyback on what you're saying, I'd really love to get a non-biased, non-fluffed account of how Sheard is doing. If he really is taking to the OLB position as well as the talking heads are saying, that's a huge plus for our defense, and one ? we can start to cross off the list. Plus, it sounds like he's spending some more time going against Thomas, so that's cool too.

The other major ? is the secondary, and I'd really like to hear more about Owens. He's been getting some love in these articles, but how consistent has he been through practices?

Not much is being said about the guards, but it sounds like that's one of the position battles that's clearing up quickly.

I'm not sure that this time of year, there is any such thing as an unbiased opinion LOL

But, when you get almost all of the reporters saying roughly the same thing, which in this case is that he's "getting it done" (paraphrasing) then I think you have the makings of something very believable.

We already know he's a smart, athletic guy with pretty good speed and instincts.. so it can't be that much of a leap to believe the reports we're hearing are accurate.

Anyway, FWIW, all reports have him being strong when going up against the best LT in the game.. that's gotta say something right?

As for the secondary, honestly, outside of Haden and Ward, I don't really know what we have.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard