Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Is Brandon Weeden growing as Cleveland Browns QB? Hey, Mary Kay!

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
on August 03, 2013 at 10:05 PM, updated August 03, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Hey, Mary Kay: With the first week of training camp done, how has Brandon Weeden looked so far? Does he seem to be more confident and in command of this offense? -- Paul Vocca, Cottonwood, Ariz.

Hey, Paul: Weeden has had his ups and downs in camp but is making steady progress. He's made some tremendous passes, but it also getting a few batted down and picked off. His footwork is quicker and the ball is coming out with great velocity, but the offense is new and the defense is giving him multiple looks. At times, his decision-making could be quicker, and they're constantly working with him on that. Jason Campbell is still clearly No. 2, but has an edge in quicker decisions and consistency.

Hey, Mary Kay: How is Michael Edwards, number 86 doing? -- Mary Cornellison, Glendora, Calif.

Hey, Mary: Edwards, a rookie free agent wideout from Texas-El Paso, is sure-handed and has been impressive. Working mostly with the third team, he gets open and catches almost everything. He'll probably be a candidate for the practice squad.

Hey, Mary Kay: Is there a chance Monterio Hardesty doesn't make the team? -- Angelo Costanzo, Cleveland

Hey, Angelo: Hardesty is suffering from a hamstring tendon injury, which isn't helping his case. There's great competition at the running back position, and Hardesty needs to be on the field to fight for a spot. The Browns really like Dion Lewis, Chris Ogbonnaya and Brandon Jackson.

Hey, Mary Kay: Is this the year we can at least get a split from our division rivals and go 3-3 instead of 0-6 or 1-5? And when are the new uniforms coming? -- Tim Frank, Delaware, Ohio

Hey, Tim: I think the Browns will give their AFC foes some better battles this year, especially with their relentless pass rush. I think Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger and Andy Dalton will get all they can handle from Paul Kruger, Jabaal Sheard, Desmond Bryant and Barkevious Mingo. 3-3 in the division isn't out of the question as long as the offense can keep pace.

Hey, Mary Kay: We've seen so many different predictions about Brandon Weeden. I'm sure that Chud's system will be a better fit for Weeds, but based off of what you've seen so far, how much better do you think Weeden will be? Do you think he will speed up his game? It's hard watching these Cleveland quarterbacks look so indecisive. -- Sarah Wilson, Denver

Hey, Sarah: We won't have a clear picture of how much better Weeden will be until we see him in some preseason games with at least some bona fide pass rush. The system suits him, but he still has to be more accurate on the deep ball. Sometimes he overthrows the deep pass, which can be a strength if he reins it in. His quicker footwork looks good. Right now, he's thinking a split-second too long, but that should improve through the preseason.

Hey, Mary Kay: Do you think making the defense at training camp tougher, faster and more complex will help Brandon Weeden's progression in reading defenses better and get him more comfortable for the tough AFC north defenses he will be seeing? -- TheBrownHound, Hampton, Va.

Hey, TheBrownHound: Absolutely! Weeden is seeing a ton of multiple looks from Ray Horton's attacking defense and it's helping him get ready for Dick LeBeau's Blitzburgh defense and Baltimore's vaunted unit. He never knows where the pressure is coming from and what kind of front he'll be facing. It doesn't always look pretty in camp, but if he can throw touchdowns against Paul Kruger, Jabaal Sheard and Barkevious Mingo, he'll be better prepared for Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs.

Hey, Mary Kay: What are the chances the Browns keep a FB? And what are the chances the Browns keep two kickers? -- Nathanael Ressler, Mount Vernon, Ill.

Hey, Nathanael: I think former fourth-round pick Owen Marecic is on the bubble, but Chris Ogbonnaya can play fullback if needed. The Browns also recently signed fourth-year fullback Brock Bolen for a look. They'll keep their eyes on the waiver wire. I don't think they'll keep two kickers. If veteran Shayne Graham and rookie Brandon Bogotay are even, I think you have to go with the rookie so he can grow with the team.

Hey, Mary Kay: A lot has been made of the new regime's panning of our 2012 draft picks in the first round and the supplemental draft. What would they have done differently? I liked all three picks myself. -- Bob Mercer, Toledo

Hey, Bob: They might've gone with cornerback Morris Claiborne at No. 4 in 2012, or perhaps traded down. They might've bid a fourth-round pick for Josh Gordon, but not a second. I doubt they would've drafted Weeden at all, based on Mike Lombardi's pre- and post-draft evaluation. They might've signed a veteran quarterback last year to get them through until they could solve the problem effectively.

Hey, Mary Kay: How is Jordan Cameron doing? -- Carter Hall, Cleveland

Hey, Carter: Cameron is gettin the ball early and often in camp, and is making good progress. But when it comes to fighting defensive backs or linebackers for the ball, he's losing too many of those battles. But the coaches like him, and plan to feature him plenty in the new scheme.

http://www.cleveland.com

Last edited by Pdawg; 08/03/13 10:24 PM.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I wonder why more people aren't praising Little [although he is getting some love] and more specifically, not bashing Gordon? Gordon should be the one trying to prove something. Can't believe he is getting a free pass from most of you. Let me ask you a question: Is it because you just hate to admit that Heckert ever made a bad move?

Who is giving Gordon a free pass? Just because most are tired of even talking about the guy doesnt mean we are all building statues to the great and powerful Gordon. I think most have chosen to talk about the positives of camp instead of whining like a school girl over because no one is beating a dead horse.

I am sure glad you are here to tell all of us dumbasses how to post on a message board. Thank the great savior versatile.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Man, really hard not to like what Little to doing, and continuing to do, as a pro. This is what gives me hope for Gordon. Gordon can't NOT take notice of what Little is doing. If Gordon can't or won't turn it around with Little being the pro that he is, well then I guess it was never meant to be.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I really hope and pray that Little is a good influence on Gordon ... and that Gordon is not a bad influence on Little.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

I really hope and pray that Little is a good influence on Gordon ... and that Gordon is not a bad influence on Little.

I'm with you there, YTown. From all of the reports coming in about Little, I'm confident that we have a developing leader in that WR corps. I hope the same as you that Gordon latches on to Little's work ethic. I have a feeling that Gordon isn't going to fair well this season and will be at a similar cross roads that Little was in last year. It will be interesting to see if Gordon decides to put forth the effort or we end up with another Braylon Edwards, a lot of talent but jacked up between the ears.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

I am not even worried about Gordon. Either he makes it or he doesn't.

I think we have some good receivers without him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Who is giving Gordon a free pass? Just because most are tired of even talking about the guy doesnt mean we are all building statues to the great and powerful Gordon. I think most have chosen to talk about the positives of camp instead of whining like a school girl over because no one is beating a dead horse.

I am sure glad you are here to tell all of us dumbasses how to post on a message board. Thank the great savior versatile.

And the clique speaks again.

More insults. More name-calling. And not a thing will be done about it. All you tough guys would NEVER call me a whining school girl to my face. I am not whining and I am not asking anyone to bow down. It was a legit question. Don't look for me to come to you for permission on what I can post, tough guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the articles, guys.

--I thought it was classy to let the little kid come on the field and run for a TD.

--Nice sized crowd for Family Fun Night.

--I think the defense is going to energize the stadium this year. They crowd and the D will feed off of each other, like the author mentioned. It could be very exciting.

---Gordon was booed. Good, maybe he'll get his head out of his butt.

--It bothers me when I read Weeden is still over throwing guys and is indecisive w/the ball. I thought that not being able to read coverages was his biggest weakness last year. If that doesn't improve, he will stink.

--I forgot that Little was working on the Jugs machine after practice every day. Gotta add that to the list of his positives.

--Glad to hear that Weeden is staying after practice w/Little. I never heard of him doing that last year. It's nice that he is working hard.

--TRich probably won't play in the preseason opener. Last year many posters kept saying his injuries weren't a concern. Then, after a disappointing rookie season, they used his injuries as an excuse. Now, they are not a concern again. LOL

--I like Mack's attitude in regards to his contract situation. He said he isn't going to let it distract him. Good philosophy. I hope we give him a fair deal. There is a lot to be said for continuity on the OL.

--I am hoping this Bogotay kid wins the kicking battle. Sounds like he is doing a little better, but it's hard to say for sure.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Hearing all Greg Little's interviews, I don't think anything can penetrate that mindset he has. He seems 100% focused. His attitude should drip upon Gordon, but the question is - is that enough to influence Gordon?

Gordon may need to be chained in a room where it has one TV that plays nothing but Dr. Phil and Oprah Winfrey. And of course, be locked in with Tim Tebow as a roomate

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I have been saying since we drafted Little he is a TO clone and that is becoming more and more true everyday. The kid has a tireless work ethic and a desire to be great. He wants his star and is going out to get it.

Gordon worked out with Little in the offseason and it really showed when he came to camp. He looked like he stole someone's body in the offseason, then the suspension came and he has either been hurt or pouting since or possibly a combination of both.

I think Little has probably done all he can do with Gordon but Weeden could be a difference. QB needs to be the leader and not just a cheerleader. Right now if you ask me who are the leaders on this team, Joe T, Trich, DQ, Rubin and I would say Little, Robertson and Bademosi are your leaders by example. I dont see any of our quarterbacks on that list and that is a concern.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Funny, we were just talking about Brandon Jackson yesterday, and Terry Pluto writes about him and other RB's today. Here's a blurb from today's Pluto column:

About the running backs ...

1. Dion Lewis has made a major impression. Acquired from Philadelphia, Lewis has looked quick and shown he can catch passes. His roster spot behind starter Trent Richardson seems secure.

2. The interesting battle is between Brandon Jackson and Montario Hardesty. It seemed strange when the new front office brought back Jackson after he carried the ball only eight times in two years. Jackson signed a 2-year contract in 2011 and missed his first season with a foot injury. Last season, the coaching staff wrote him off -- he was inactive 14 of 16 games.

3. Jackson is quietly having a strong camp. It wouldn't be a shock if he knocked Hardesty off the roster. This staff remembers that Jackson rushed for 703 yards and caught 43 passes for the Super Bowl Packers in 2010. They view him as a solid, experienced back.

4. Then there's Hardesty, in his fourth year with the Browns. There have been knee problems and other injuries. In the last two years, he has gained 537 yards (3.5 average). He has 16 receptions, but he's also dropped six passes. To be fair, four were in one game. But the fact is this offense requires a back to catch the ball -- and that's not Hardesty's strength.

5. With a $575,000 non-guaranteed contract, it's easy to see why Hardesty is in a vulnerable spot -- unless someone is hurt. He has missed some practices with hamstring issues, bringing up the question of his durability.

6. Jackson is only 27. He signed a non-guaranteed contract worth $715,000. As of now, it appears the three backs will be Richardson, Lewis and Jackson.

7. What about Chris Ogbonnaya? The coaches love this guy, because he can play either running back spot and he excels on special teams. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner has talked about the 6-foot, 220-pounder playing a fair amount of fullback. That's another reason Hardesty appears in trouble. In his NFL career, Ogbonnaya has run for 420 yards (4.4 average) and caught 48 passes.

Read more at: http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/08/terry_plutos_talkin_about_bein.html

Legend
Legend
It's looking more and more like Hardesty won't be around this year. Honestly when he is healthy I think he's a good runner ... but that is a rarity. I can see him getting picked up by a team in need of a backup RB ... and I can see him being successful.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder if Haslam's strong ties with U Tenn will affect the decision re: Hardesty at all. I hope not.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
That maybe the case...but, the pieces that we will have here will be more valuable. Even if he leaves and is successful, he wouldn't have been as successful here as the guys we'll keep.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's looking more and more like Hardesty won't be around this year. Honestly when he is healthy I think he's a good runner ... but that is a rarity. I can see him getting picked up by a team in need of a backup RB ... and I can see him being successful.

Frankly, I hope that we can showcase him and manage to trade him to a team with a dire need for a RB if he's not going to be in our plans. Even a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick would be better than just cutting a guy loose.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
thank for the report were you a reporter ?

Legend
Legend
Why would I be a reporter?

I just posted an article written by a real reporter.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
just a complement keep up the reports live or otherwise.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Kind of interesting but I doubt Packers will sign him.

Vince Young to tryout with Green Bay:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226234/article/vince-young-to-work-out-for-green-bay-packers

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
unless he can take Bulaga's place...

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

unless he can take Bulaga's place...

You just know that's got to hurt GB big time...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Stuff 2013

Link Copied to Clipboard