Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
D
Recently, someone asked me about the possibility of Peyton Hillis signing with their favorite team. I had to double check Hillis' status before I answered, because I hadn't thought about him in months.

It's not that uncommon for a NFL player to fade into obscurity, and do it rather suddenly. But it's rare for someone to fall into oblivion as quickly as Hillis has.

Hillis worked out for Tampa Bay, according to numerous reports. The Buccaneers probably have the worst backup situation in the league, with 2012 seventh-round pick Michael Smith and 2013 sixth-round pick Mike James battling to back up star Doug Martin. Smith and James have zero combined NFL carries. Even with that scary situation, the Tampa Bay Times isn't even sure if the Buccaneers are that interested in signing Hillis.

[Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football is open for business]

In 2010, Hillis was a NFL celebrity. He rushed for 1,117 yards and 11 touchdowns, and caught 61 passes too. He was a fan favorite who ended up on the cover of "Madden." He was 250 pounds, tough but with good feet, and a bonus in the passing game because of his great hands.

Now he's 27, without any major injury history, and still looking for a job.

Running backs come and go quickly, but Hillis' story is surprising. He turned a lot of Browns teammates off in 2011 by his overwhelming desire to land a big contract, which is pretty funny given his current circumstance. He signed a one-year, $3 million deal with Kansas City last year, had just 309 yards and has been out of the NFL consciousness since.

His reputation can't be helping. Respected Browns tackle Joe Thomas unloaded on Hillis last year to the Cleveland Plain Dealer and said his situation with the Browns was "toxic." Hillis gained 101 yards on 15 carries in the second-to-last game last season and obviously could help some teams. But Hillis' reputation and his struggles to find a job can't simply be a coincidence.

web page

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
You said it, soft spoken Joe Thomas may have hurt his rep pretty badly. Seeing Joe doesn't goto media much and is by far not a media whore and doesn't get involved with the trickery of media stunts says a lot about Hillis that he had negative stuff to say.

Personally, I think the madden cover got to Hillis's head. I'm curious if any team will take a chance on him again, and if so will he be anything in terms of productive? I'd say no to both, JMO.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has always been a headcase. Mangini just knew how to keep him under control. Once Mangini was gone, so was Hillis.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Hillis just signed for the veterans minimum with the Buccaneers. Should be a nice fit behind Doug Martin in TB. He certainly cost himself a lot of money after turning down the 4 year 16 million dollar deal from the Browns two years ago.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Hillis just signed for the veterans minimum with the Buccaneers. Should be a nice fit behind Doug Martin in TB. He certainly cost himself a lot of money after turning down the 4 year 16 million dollar deal from the Browns two years ago.

Here's the link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/buccaneers-sign-peyton-hillis/

M
Legend
Legend
M
I can't wait for Bucs fan to watch him kick pre-game FGs with the third string QB after "hurting" his hamstring and "suffering" from the flu.

This guy is a joke.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He has always been a headcase. Mangini just knew how to keep him under control. Once Mangini was gone, so was Hillis.

No doubt.

There was runors of him being a headcase in Denvers lockerroom.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt.

There was runors of him being a headcase in Denvers lockerroom.

and despite all that, he still had the best NFL single season out of the famed Arkansas backfield.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Joe Thomas may have hurt his rep pretty badly.

Only Hillis can hurt his rep...Joe T just brought it out in the open what I guess most team found out on their own. He just became a very "ME" guy real quick...he didn't seem like a me guy then poof...what made him likeable vanished.

I also wondered if some Juicing was involved n he's just not the same animal without it.??? Pure Speculation btw but he did look smaller.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Hillis is a good guy with a good heart. Did he get greedy... you betcha Good luck this season bro.)

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

so the bum is now working for $750K? Oh Karma thou doest feeleth so sweet...

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

Hillis is a good guy with a good heart. Did he get greedy... you betcha Good luck this season bro.)

A good guy with a good heart would never do to his team what Hillis did. He sat out the season without sitting out the season. He let his fellow teammates down. He sabotaged a season. He screwed Lerner, the league and even worse...us...the fans.

Now a good guy with a good heart is Archie Manning who stuck by a horrible team with 9 out of 10 losing seasons, being in the record books with a 26.3% winning record as a starter and never playing on a team with a winning season. That's heart. That's a good guy. And Archie is just one example of a good man with a good heart. And we are fortunate to have a man with a bigger heart and a better man then any player in the game today - Joe Thomas.

Hillis is a bum.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Now a good guy with a good heart is Archie Manning who stuck by a horrible team with 9 out of 10 losing seasons, being in the record books with a 26.3% winning record as a starter and never playing on a team with a winning season. That's heart. That's a good guy. And Archie is just one example of a good man with a good heart

_________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah and the big guy with the big heart refused to have his son sign with the Chargers, because at that time they were losers, imagine his response should he have another son drafted by the Browns??

Hillis acted the fool and now he is paying for his actions, I think that's enough.............

JMHO

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Quote:

A good guy with a good heart would never do to his team what Hillis did. He sat out the season without sitting out the season. He let his fellow teammates down. He sabotaged a season. He screwed Lerner, the league and even worse...us...the fans.

Now a good guy with a good heart is Archie Manning who stuck by a horrible team with 9 out of 10 losing seasons, being in the record books with a 26.3% winning record as a starter and never playing on a team with a winning season. That's heart. That's a good guy. And Archie is just one example of a good man with a good heart. And we are fortunate to have a man with a bigger heart and a better man then any player in the game today - Joe Thomas.

Hillis is a bum.

Archie Manning, there's a lesson in fathering right there! Two sons with 3 Super Bowl Rings between em!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The guy earned himself a nice little payday after his first season with us, and then flushed it down the toilet.

NFL teams will put up with a lot, but when you fake injuries and phone it in as a negotiation tactic, you're not going to get too many phone calls.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Its such a shame, that one season he sure was fun to watch.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

The guy earned himself a nice little payday after his first season with us, and then flushed it down the toilet.

And had an opportunity to play for a pasoinate fan base with a style that would ave endeared him to that fan base for many years. Instead he let others do his thinking for him.... kind of sad really.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Instead he let others do his thinking for him....

You have to wonder how much effect the constant switching of agents had on him...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Instead he let others do his thinking for him....

You have to wonder how much effect the constant switching of agents had on him...

Well lets face it he wasnt the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and his bouncing one direction then another with agents that typically have their best interests at heart could not have helped him much.

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't have an ounce of pity or sympathy for him. He made his own bed.

IMO he should be thankful a team was willing to pull any trigger, even if it was just a one year, league min. deal. TRich played with broken ribs, Hillis missed games due to the "flu". Dude is a nut case and although it was fun seeing him mow over some ppl in a Brown's uniform but those days are long gone and he's not done a darn thing since except being unproductive and team hopping.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I don't have an ounce of pity or sympathy for him. He made his own bed.

IMO he should be thankful a team was willing to pull any trigger, even if it was just a one year, league min. deal. TRich played with broken ribs, Hillis missed games due to the "flu". Dude is a nut case and although it was fun seeing him mow over some ppl in a Brown's uniform but those days are long gone and he's not done a darn thing since except being unproductive and team hopping.

I cannot disagree with anything you have said. I guess I just have a soft spot for him, ( maybe in my head more than my heart lol).

My sons first game in Cleveland was the Atlanta game a few years back, on the 2nd play Hillis took a pass and did that jump over a defender thingy and it kind of put my boy over the edge on being a Browns fan, he was always on the fence before...but he talked about that for days. Been a rabid fan ever since.

He has been someone I rooted for ever since, even when he went to KC, a first for me.

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
Haha I actually have vivid memories of that hurdle/play!!! He surely made some great plays while a Brown, that cannot argued and cannot be taken from him. But history is history.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good for Peyton...everybody deserves a chance to make a living....

I thank him for his years of service with the hope if we ever play against him he continues to fumble the ball as he did when he played for our Browns.

Next...

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Have we really gotten this far into a Peyton Hillis thread without the mention of a ham sandwich?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Rb's of Hillis' mold are a dime a dozen. They already have the non crazy version and coach favorite in Brian Leonard. Why bother with someone crazy at such an easy to fill position..? Heck we might have to cut a guy talented enough to start in B Jax.

Hillis will be selling bbq sauce soon enough. He has to rank pretty high in the history of one hit wonders.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hillis is playing for the Bucs, not the Jags... by "playing" I mean, riding the fourth string bench

Legend
Legend
Screwed the pooches, so to speak. Don't let your ego get in the way of success. I pimped him when he was good. Got over it. Every club needs ticket takers.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree with you. For one season, Hillis was as good a RB as we've seen since the days of Byner and Mack. He wasn't just fun to watch, he pumped you up with his play. But I also think he wasn't a very mature, or even intelligent, 25 year old. He was used to being second or third banana at Arkansas, and was not able to handle the concept of being The Man with any sense of humility or responsibility. He got terrible advice from whoever was guiding him, whether it was his agent or his brother. So I suspect he is a wiser, but sadder 27 year old, having blown his one shot at a $5M payday. If his head were on straight - and its a big "if" - he'd be our 2nd best RB, and our best FB. The ridicule and vitriol he gets here is a bit over the top, imo ... piling on. Many of us were knuckleheads at 25 yo, but I'd bet none of us paid the price that Hillis paid for that immaturity.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Yeah, I agree. I don't rip on the guy. I had a lot of fun watching him play. Too bad it didn't last longer.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Well said.

Legend
Legend
I agree with that. Besides, it's bad karma, and we can't afford any more of that.

Hillis had one great season in Cleveland, and for that I thank him. It's too bad that he didn't work out long term, but that happens with players sometimes. I'm really not concerned about how he does anywhere else.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not to mention he killed it for me in fantasy that year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hillis needs to cure his cranial-rectal inversion first. That moron blew a good thing by putting his head firmly up his ...

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Hillis really is a good kid who let people get into his head and convince him he should have made a furtune. That was his downfall

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hillis is 27 AND hasn't had much employment since he left us....not a kid, JMHO,.......head case and FUMBLES.....glad he's gone......GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

For one season, Hillis was as good a RB as we've seen since the days of Byner and Mack.

Jamal Lewis, 2007:

298 carries, 1,304 yards, 9 TD's, 4.4 YPC, 4 fumbles

Peyton Hillis, 2010:

270 carries, 1,177 yards, 11 TD's, 4.4 YPC, 8 fumbles

That's nitpicking a bit, but Lewis doesn't get enough respect for that season. I think it's because he's a Raven legend.

I'll never forget that TD run against the Jets.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Interesting...

but my recollection was how phenomenal Hillis was catching passes out of the backfield. Like unbelieveable sometimes. How do those stats measure up?

[Linked Image]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Hillis:

61 catches, 477 yards, 7.8 YPC, 2 TD's

Lewis:

30 catches, 248 yard, 8.3 YPC, 2 TD's

Legend
Legend
I remember him blowing people up or jumping over them - so sad - thought he as gonna lead our offense for a few years at least

<><

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hillis Still Looking for Work

Link Copied to Clipboard