Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
As camp injuries around the league start adding up I thought it might be good to have a separate thread so they don't get lost in others.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76819168/

Maclin's injury is going to effect what Kelly wants to do on O. His speed and allusivness will be missed in Phili.

[Linked Image]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Ravens lose Dennis Pitta for the season with a dislocated hip. Tough loss for them. Going to be interesting to see how they fare with the SB hangover and the loss of several cornerstones on the defensive side this year.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tough break for the Ravens. We've had our share of bad luck and it is part of training camp, but it still sucks.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Ravens lose Dennis Pitta for the season with a dislocated hip. Tough loss for them. Going to be interesting to see how they fare with the SB hangover and the loss of several cornerstones on the defensive side this year.

That sucks. I had a buddy who got a full ride to Louisville. Dislocated his hip nd that was it for his career.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I hate to see any player get hurt like that. A hip injury like that can be a big problem. Hopefully he heals up properly.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
'Ryan Miller concussion a sobering moment at Cleveland Browns practice'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/ryan_miller_concussion_a_sober.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer on July 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM, updated July 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- It was supposed to be the most exciting day so far of Browns training camp: the first in full pads, when every hit delights the crowd and dazzles the coaches.

Instead, it was a grim reminder that the next crushing blow could be a player's last.

About 40 minutes into the practice, which was moved indoors and closed to the public because of rain, second-year offensive linemen Ryan Miller -- a mountain of a man at 6-7, 320 pounds -- went down with a thud and didn't get up.

Nor did he move. For what seemed like an eternity.

While Miller -- who ultimately suffered a concussion and was released from the Cleveland Clinic last night -- lay unconscious on his back, drills continued elsewhere on the field until linebacker Quentin Groves frantically alerted everyone that a man was down.

The music stopped abruptly and a hush fell over the fieldhouse. Players dropped to their knees around Miller and began to pray.

Miller, who remained motionless for about five minutes, was immobilized by the medical staff and strapped to a board with his helmet still on. He was then carted to an ambulance that's always at the ready during practices. As Miller left for a hospital, coach Rob Chudzinski gathered his players, joined in a prayer and assured them he'd keep them updated.

“Anytime your brother goes down it’s scary ‘cause you never know,'' said Groves. "We play this game so hard, so violent. Any moment, this game could be taken away, and that’s the thing I want guys to learn from this. Cherish the moments while you’re out here. Cherish tying your cleats up. Cherish the smell of the grass. Cherish snapping that chinstrap on because any moment it can be taken away from you.”

Linebacker D'Qwell Jackson hadn't experienced that knot in his stomach since Josh Cribbs was knocked out in Baltimore last season. Miller's injury occurred during a helmet-to-helmet collision during a one-on-one blocking drill with a defensive lineman.

"I've only witnessed it a few times and anytime that happens you just pray and just hope for the best and hope everything is OK,'' said Jackson. "Coach gave us word that he's fine and that's a good thing. But those are the challenges and the scares that when you sign up for the game there's a possibility of something like that happening.

"I'll tell you what, it made everyone realize that at any moment anything can happen. I thought we had a good practice after that. Guys responded well and that's what it's about, you just take advantage of your opportunities at this point."

About an hour after Miller was taken to the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic, Chudzinski was notified that Miller was alert, awake and moving his arms and legs. He gathered the players in the fieldhouse, shared the good news and a cheer went up.

"Obviously you take the lead in these situations and that's what I did,'' said Chudzinski. "I look forward to seeing Ryan tonight and getting the chance to visit with him."

Chudzinski and his staff managed to get the players' heads back into the practice, a lively one that included a few fisticuffs.

"I thought (the players) did a great job,'' Chudzinski said. "It really says a lot about them, our coaches, our staff and our players to be able to do that. This team is a family and when something happens to a family member like that, it's tough and these guys did a great job of staying focused and really getting a lot of work done today that we needed to get done.''

Chudzinski admitted that the time between Miller's departure and his prognosis was difficult.

"I was very concerned about him,'' he said. "I went over and gave him a tap when he was going out. At that time he was moving around a little bit, so that was encouraging."

The good news on Miller -- moving, responsive and even joking -- let the tension out of the building.

"It’s huge because you never want to ever have heavy hearts in training camp,'' said Groves.

Offensive lineman Joe Thomas, who's become good friends with the second-year guard, had to snap his mind back into practice.

"Sometimes it's hard to get back and focus on playing football when you see a guy laying there not moving,'' said Thomas. "I don't think he was talking. It was two helmets that kind of hit the wrong way. It was kind of a freak thing I think.''

Like everyone else in the fieldhouse, Thomas was relieved by the latest news.

"The thing you worry about is the neck because that's kind of a big one,'' he said. "When we heard it was not neck-related, that was fantastic news and you feel great about that."

D
Legend
Legend
D
Eagles losing Maclin for the season if a big ouch for them...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Ravens lose Pita for the season. A dislocated hip? Wow, I don't know how one could come back to the NFL in 365+ days, my mind says it's a career ender, but I don't know how med science deals with these. ( Is that what ended Bo Jackson's career?). A Hip injury, severe one anyway, is so rarely mentioned, it's usually knees, ankles, shoulders, concussions.

I was counting on the Ravens to win the division, because I have bet that the Bengals Won't! I still think the R. are in the drivers seat for the division.

Everybody on the Browns team probably knows what defensive lineman was involved in drills with Ryan Miller and it probably won't become public information. I can guess though.
Since it's been said that it took a minute for someone to be notified, and Quentin Groves, ( probably at least 2nd string linebacker) notified, and add in the starting D-linemen are all veterans.
I speculate it was a rookie. ( Shoot, it could have been any D-lineman)
Whoever it was, I bet folks will approach him differently in drills afterwards, even though it was probably an accident, uncontrollable, .. He's gonna get different respect.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
The way I read things, the different groups were working different drills throughout the complex, and when Miller went down, several groups didn't know what happened right away. None of the coaches or players were paying attention to the other groups. It wasn't until Groves saw the players surrounding a guy on the ground that he brought it to everyone's attention.

I'm just glad that Miller doesn't seem to have been seriously hurt.

As a side note, this was a helmet to helmet injury .... which demonstrates the danger of allowing players to use the helmet as a weapon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Legend
Legend
What a shame that he'll probably end his career in the IR.

Wonder who is going to protect Manning up the middle now? He's gotta be concerned.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wonder who is going to protect Manning up the middle now?

Likely Manny Ramirez, but they've also got Philip Blake who they drafted in the 4th rd in 2012...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe Bo Jackson's condition had something to do with a loss of blood flow to area. Man, how long ago was THAT? Seems like just yesterday Bo "knew" everything including Diddly.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
As soon as I heard Koppen was hurt I knew Saturday would be back ... unfortunately, he's not very good anymore.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

As soon as I heard Koppen was hurt I knew Saturday would be back ... unfortunately, he's not very good anymore.

No biggie, new article indicates he won't be stepping outta retirement anyway:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/jeff-saturday-not-expect-to-leave-retirement/

Legend
Legend
Dislocated anything sounds painful, but dislocated hip sounds uber-painful. Hope he heals up.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
A dislocated hip sounds like an injury that could be forever debilitating. Once a major joint like a him has a major dislocation, I would think that the stretching of the supporting tissues will never return to 100% normal. (My knee, for example, dislocated once, and it dislocates about twice a year since, whether I need it to or not) It would seem to me that it will never be as good as it used to be, and for someone who uses their legs running and blocking, that seems like it could be a major problem.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I have the same views/thoughts about it. It sounds like a scary and extremely painful injury.

More injuries:

// Blaine Gabbert leaves practice with ankle sprain:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/gabbert-leaves-practice-field-with-ankle-sprain/

// More bad news for New Orleans for their defense. Lost Victor Butler and now possibly will lose Martez Wilson due to an elbow injury:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/wilson-hurt-saints-run-short-on-pass-rushers/

// Bears TE McBridge ruptures Achilles tendon:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...chilles-tendon/

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Their best receiver might actually be Ray Rice. I know Torrey Smith probably is, but it's not that far off. Pitta as so underrated for them, and Boldin? Man did that guy kill us for YEARS. Never seen a player get open like he did against us. It's almost like at times we didn't even know he was on the field.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

// Blaine Gabbert leaves practice with ankle sprain:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/gabbert-leaves-practice-field-with-ankle-sprain/

addition through subtraction? IIRC they picked up Matt Scott as UDFA, and already have Henne.

Quote:

// More bad news for New Orleans for their defense. Lost Victor Butler and now possibly will lose Martez Wilson due to an elbow injury:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/wilson-hurt-saints-run-short-on-pass-rushers/

They picked up Chase Thomas and Eric Martin as UDFA and drafted the guy from Tarleton State (*can't remember his name off hand) and Wilson was doing a position change anyways. This was one of their weaker positions IMO and now the young guys have a chance to step up.

*Just came to me. Rufus Johnson.

Last edited by clevesteve; 07/29/13 03:03 PM.
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't know what you were seeing with Boldin. we always had a CB draped all over him. the problem was that it was usually a 5'8" guy and it's as if those guys don't exist when Anquan is going over the middle. he just takes the ball.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

don't know what you were seeing with Boldin. we always had a CB draped all over him. the problem was that it was usually a 5'8" guy and it's as if those guys don't exist when Anquan is going over the middle. he just takes the ball.

For sure there were times where he just flat out punked our DB's, but how many times over the last few seasons has been be 1-15 yards out to the sideline with nobody there?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

For sure there were times where he just flat out punked our DB's, but how many times over the last few seasons has been be 1-15 yards out to the sideline with nobody there?

I probably just have last year's game too much in my mind (in Balt). Watching Skrine and Patterson play patty-cake with him and him taking the ball and knocking them to the turf in one motion.

Stupid Joe Haden and his suspension (which limited our choices to cover him).

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Another possible big one for Denver... Rodgers Cromartie reported hurt in practice:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...scromartie-hurt

Leg injury that resulted in him needed carted off the field. Man Denver fans, stay true guys! We as Brown fans know this chain event all-to-well unfortunately.

N
Legend
Legend
N
as a Browns' fan, I can and will never feel bad for a Broncos' fan.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Carlos Dunlap concussion. Out for "a while".

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/st...ncussion-source

Last edited by oobernoober; 07/31/13 04:36 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D

D
Legend
Legend
D
San Fran suffers blow to their secondary. Chris Culliver tears ACL. Predicted to miss season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...isco-49ers-camp

D
Legend
Legend
D
Kevin Kolb slips on a rubber mat, exits practice:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/03/kolb-exits-practice-after-slipping-on-a-mat/

... and some people wanted to bring that guy here. I wanted to avoid him at all cost.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Enter EJ Manuel to the starting spot...

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Listening to Buffalo radio a few moments ago and Marrone said he didn't anticipate Kolb's injury to be serious. Not sure he'll end up being the starter anyways.

N
Legend
Legend
N
if Buluga is gone the year, then this would be HUGE for the Packers.

Quote:

According to The Journal Sentinel‘s Bob McGinn, Bulaga suffered a knee injury during the Packers’ intra-squad scrimmage, one which had the team “hoping for the best while fearing the worst.” The Packers’ concerns apparently were well-founded: Pro Football Talk reported that Bulaga tore his ACL during the scrimmage, an injury which would sideline him for the season.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/05/bryan-bulaga-injury-green-bay-packers/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Anybody else feel that there are more ACL's than previous years...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
On the bright side, they'll have a running game this year. Rodgers will be running for his life every play

C
Legend
Legend
C
Lauvao got carted off during practice today. Chud said it was his ankle.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
On a scale from one to ten.
That sucks!

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Lauvao got carted off during practice today. Chud said it was his ankle.

Well, that settles the battle at Offensive Guard.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Sounds bad for Shawn. Looks like Pinkston wins the RG spot with ease now. Chalk another one up to bad luck.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

j/c

Anybody else feel that there are more ACL's than previous years...

Someone says that every year.

No idea if it's accurate or not.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Training Camp injury list.

Link Copied to Clipboard