Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Whew. Glad to see this depressing losing streak come to an end.

Masterson had issues again today, which is a concern ...... but the bullpen picked him up nicely. It was also nice to see Swisher turn on some power again.Kind of strange that Asdrubal got ejected, and Aviles, his replacement, hit a 2 run HR. Nice. Maybe karma is rolling back to our side again. lol

Time to get on a long winning streak now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
And the Tigers lost. Keepin' the faith!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I gave up on the division. We can still get the wildcard.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Quote:

I gave up on the division. We can still get the wildcard.

Yeah, my logical side says the same thing. I'm just an optimistic person I guess.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
maybe baltimore will sign Reynold's and he can earn the rest of his money from us by knocking them down a few pegs?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Stubbs is hitting .242, with 7 HR, 37 RBI, and 13 SB. He's also speed plus in the outfield.

That average would be ok for him if he was able to draw a few more walks and raise that .OBP

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Stubbs doesn't bother me (neither did Reynolds) because we all expected about what he's given us.

Bourn has been extremely disappointing. Among league leaders in SB the last 4 years (all 40+ SB) to just 17 this year and he's been caught 1/3 of the time too (which is terrible). Very disappointing to couple with his numbers dropping a bit across the board too.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stubbs has been decent, better there than here.

Bourne went down with an injury at some point. Maybe he's not completely healthy. He's a guy I think who can bounce back next year. And if not then it's clear he's just better suited for the NL.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 08/12/13 12:05 AM.
N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
his injury isn't stopping him from making plays in the field. i'm just hoping he's acquiring pitcher knowledge and he bounces back next year once he has it. otherwise, it'll be very disappointing.

stubbs defense has also been very nice in RF this year. didn't realize he had such a nice arm until this season.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This Albers kid has the Tribe's number tonight. 92 pitches through eight innings and two batters over the minimum.

Legend
Legend
"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, he eats you."

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Yeah, Albers was impressive. We couldn't touch him. 2 hits, both singles, and no walks.

Damn, he has now started his Major League career with over 17 scoreless innings. He's an impressive kid.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Not Indians related, but a fan in Atlanta died after a fall from the upper level at Turner Field tonight.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not Indians related, but a fan in Atlanta died after a fall from the upper level at Turner Field tonight.

With the amount of people moving in a hurry and add in the drunk factor, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I know a fan died last season when he reached for a ball hit into the stands and banged his head pretty hard from 15 feet drop. Tragic.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

With the amount of people moving in a hurry and add in the drunk factor, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I know a fan died last season when he reached for a ball hit into the stands and banged his head pretty hard from 15 feet drop. Tragic.

That's awful.

I sat in the nosebleed section at the new stadium many years ago, and walking down to the seats would have been scary if I was scared of heights. It was straight down the walkway to the little wall at the bottom, but it didn't look like it would be tall enough to stop someone if they tripped and went head over heels.

You mention about the drunk factor, I am also surprise that there aren't more accidents at stadiums. I don't know what stadium designers can do to make that aspect safer. It seems to me that if a person accidentally fell, and they hadn't been drinking, that the family could sue the crap out of the team and the designers/builders of the stadium.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You mention about the drunk factor, I am also surprise that there aren't more accidents at stadiums. I don't know what stadium designers can do to make that aspect safer.

Stop selling beer.... Everybody wants open site lines, minimal obstructions, good camera views when they pan the crowd, etc... Just like automobiles, you could make stadiums idiot-proof but they would be very ugly and very expensive.... and as we all know, the harder you work to make something idiot-proof, the harder people work at being better idiots.

Quote:

It seems to me that if a person accidentally fell, and they hadn't been drinking, that the family could sue the crap out of the team and the designers/builders of the stadium.

They could and they would probably get something out of it because the team wouldn't want to appear uncaring... but safety rails are designed to keep a normal person, who doesn't want to fall over, from falling over. Rails are not designed to keep a person from falling who is intent on leaning over as far as he possibly can until 80% of his body weight is beyond the rail from falling over because he wants to catch a foul ball. To do that you would have to make the rails 2 feet taller and solid... then nobody in the first 3 rows could see the game.

I believe it was the Florida Marlins stadium where a guy got hit by a pitched ball that came out of the bullpen.. the pitcher overthrew the catcher and the ball sailed into the stands and hit a guy in the side of the head.. (Granted, this is probably a case of bad design because the wall behind the catcher was only 7' high or something like that).. the guy sued the pitcher, the team, the architect, and a couple other people I can't remember.. and he lost because his ticket said he assumed all responsibility for objects flying off the field and they ruled the bull pen was part of the field... but I think the team did settle and give him something.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I'm not an expert on falling down stairs ...... but from the looks of the upper deck at CBS, it sure seems like a person could go over without too terribly much difficulty. Maybe I'm wrong ...... but it just seems like it wouldn;t be real hard for something like that to happen.

Of course the stadium has been open for more than a decade, and I can't remember any such incidents ...... so maybe it's just all in my head.

Legend
Legend
It's all about center of gravity. Unless you are 7 feet tall, it's hard to fall over a 3' rail unless you are intentionally leaning over it.

I read a site (from August 2011) that said since 1969 there have been 22 fall related deaths (so add a couple more for the last couple years) at MLB stadiums.. when you think of the millions upon millions of people that have been to baseball games during that period, that is a pretty low number. That's about 1 every 2 years... so if attendance (lately) runs at 75 million a year, thats 150 every 2 years... your odds of falling to death at a ballgame are just slightly better than winning the Powerball.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
My luck I'd go buy a Powerball ticket, go to a baseball game, win, and fall to my death.

Oh, I'd land next to an ex-girlfriend and hang in long enough so she could tell me everything I ever did wrong during those last fleeting seconds of life ...... and who would then see the ticket sticking out of my pocket, take it out, get on her phone, check the numbers, and yell "I won!!!" as I take my final breath. lol

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Good day for the playoff push...

Rays, Rangers, Tigers, Orioles, and A's depending on the Houston bullpen all lose today.

Movin a game closer.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Yep, way too early to give up.

"There's a gleam men, let's get the gleam."

D
Legend
Legend
D
So there's rumors that Paul Konerko and Justin Morneau are on the waiver (revocable) wire. Do we take a shot at one of them? I'm not a big Morneau fan, but have always liked Konerko. Not sure he's 100% healthy, but if he is he'd fill a big hole in the lineup.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I think anything that could strength the lineup should be looked at before the deadline. Swisher, Cabrera and Bourn, to some extent have really been struggling. Cabrera seems like he doesn't even want to get in the box right now. Konerko has been a nemesis for the Tribe for seemingly 20 decades now. Morneau always hits well against us. I would be afraid that picking one of them up would be much like what happened when the Tribe acquired David Justice. When he was with the Braves, we couldn't get him out. When he came over to the Tribe, he could never get the hits when we really, really needed them. I agree that something needs to be done, but I just worry that we make the wrong move.:shrug:

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
I like Konerko, it would just depend on what he cost.

He can also block any trade, so who knows if he accepts a trade here.

I also almost think that we would have to use him to replace Giambi, and I wonder if that is an improvement, or would wind up being more of a lateral move.

I dunno.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I also almost think that we would have to use him to replace Giambi,

Giambi isnt going anywhere during this playoff push...He's the leader, the younger players need him to keep them level, he pushes everybody but also keeps thier heads & ego's intact. To let Giambi go at this point would make the players feel lost without somewhere to turn to for information or just piece of mind.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Really?

Aren't these guys major league baseball players?

Legend
Legend
Chris Perez blows another one. Ugh.

And after the bats came back from a 7-3 deficit in the 8th.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
The aforementioned Jason Giambi had a nice day today. 2-3 with a 3 run HR, and a walk.

Legend
Legend
That was a bright spot for sure (and getting the win in 12 innings too).

3 out of the wildcard as of this moment.

Team - GB
Oak - 0
TB - 0
Balt - 2
Cle - 3
KC - 4.5

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The aforementioned Jason Giambi had a nice day today. 2-3 with a 3 run HR, and a walk.

When I saw him homer I thought of this thread. Pretty fitting.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Just to be clear I wasn't saying the Indians should get rid of Giambi, I was saying they should get rid of all the other players if they couldn't play without him.

Legend
Legend
As Mark Reynolds just homers for the Yanks in his first at bat ...

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
That figures.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I'm sure we'll see him have success. Pressure is off him. Yanks didnt sign him to that big contract. He has no pressure to succeed. Whatever he does well...is bonus for them...

that'll make life easier for him and youll see him succeed more.

It has to start somehow
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looks like Francisco Lindor is done for the season now with a back injury. Unfortunate for him, as he had a chance to establish himself at AA and start next year in Columbus. Now, he's probably got to start at Akron again next year.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

For there to really be an "Indians Playoff Push", its looking like they will need to win 26 or 27 of their last 39 games - better than a .667 pace - to win 93 games. Detroit is on pace to win 95 - we'd have to play nearly .750 ball to overtake that mark - not likely. Both Tampa and Oakland are on pace to win 92, and make the wildcard play-in. If its going to happen for the Indians it needs to start today in Oakland. Kazmir (7-5, 4.18) vs Milone (9-9, 4.39). Its a longshot we can catch Oakland or Tampa, but there's a chance if you beat them in head-to-head games. At least we're still playing meaningful games with 6 weeks left in the season, which is progress, I guess.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
This is that situation that I was looking at with the season coming to a close.

Our September schedule involves a large number of teams that have terrible records. Including a number of divisional games against teams that we are 24-10 against. We have a great chance at success for the rest of the season.

If we can be within reach by September 1, we'll be in it. The rest of the August schedule isnt that daunting either. Get a win v. Oakland and take the series, then LAA, Min, 3 on the road at Atlanta, and then 3 @ Detroit. Those are two huge series against good teams. Then Baltimore, NYM, KC, Chi...

3 big series in a row...that'll be the make or break. Win those series, and have an inside track at the playoffs.

It has to start somehow
D
Legend
Legend
D
I like your optimism, but I can't say I share it. I'm guessing we play around .500 ball the rest of the way and finish with 85-87 wins. Good progress after last year, but no cigar.

PS - Can I say one more time how much I hate the interleague interludes to the regular season? They are distractions and momentum killers.

Legend
Legend
We are currently 66-57, with 39 games left. (if my math is correct) Looking at what we have left, I would have to say that we can win 90 games for the season if we can win 24 of those final 39 games.

Wha ... waitaminute ......

Yeah, that's right, I definitely think that we can win 90 games this year if we win 24 of our last 39 games. I'm gonna stand by that.

Seriously though ... I'll be here all week.

Anyway, I suspect that we're going to go something like 21-18 over the rest of the season, to wind up 87-75. I hope we can do better ... but I'm not counting on it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Channeling the old southpaw, Herb Score (my fave Indians announcer) ...
"I am no math-a-matician, but even I know that if you add 24 wins to 66 wins, you will have more than 90 wins."

I miss Herb.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland Indians Playoff Push

Link Copied to Clipboard