Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jonathan Martin's Struggles Should Be Miami Dolphins' Primary Camp Concern
By
Erik Frenz
(AFC East Lead Writer) on August 2, 2013

If the Miami Dolphins season rests in the hands of left tackle Jonathan Martin, they're doomed.

Luckily for the Dolphins, football games are not won or lost by one player.

Up to this point in training camp, though, it's not been pretty for Martin.

Rookie defensive end Dion Jordan had his way with Martin at Wednesday's practice, which caused a bit of a stir among fans and reporters alike:

This is not the first we've heard of Martin's struggles in camp. In fact, he was being beaten handily by defensive end Olivier Vernon "a lot," according to Miami Herald beat reporter Armando Salguero.

The Dolphins tried to re-sign free-agent left tackle Jake Long but lost out in a bidding war with the St. Louis Rams. Thus, the Dolphins were faced with two options: replace Long via free agency or the draft, or move Martin to left tackle and find a new right tackle. They went with the latter of the two options, signing former Atlanta Falcons offensive tackle Tyson Clabo.

Martin_original
The problem is, as bad as Martin was at right tackle, he was worse on a play-by-play basis in five games at left tackle. He gave up more pressure on a per-snap basis on the left side than he did on the right.

It makes sense since he was up against better competition with the defense's best pass-rusher typically lining up across from him.

Will Martin's struggles at left tackle be the undoing of the 2013 Miami Dolphins? It's too early to tell.

If he doesn't turn it around before the season starts, the Dolphins will be faced with some tough decisions.

The contingency plan behind Martin isn't very promising, though.

Nate Garner filled in at right tackle when Jake Long went down last year, with Martin moving to the left side. The Cowboys signed Jeff Adams as an undrafted free agent in 2012 and cut him before the season began. Only after a trip on and off the Bengals practice squad did Adams make his way to Miami.

Will Yeatman is listed as the third offensive tackle, but he is a converted tight end and weighs 270 pounds.

You know things are bad if we see any of those three players get any significant playing time at left tackle.

It would take a similar disaster to force the Dolphins' hand in switching Clabo to the left side. He has less experience at left tackle in his seven years in the NFL than Martin has in his one year.

They could consider helping Martin by putting a tight end next to him in protection. The problem with that plan is, it eliminates a potential threat in the passing game and consistently tips the Dolphins' hand with regard to protection schemes, making it easier for the defense to draw up a weak-side blitz.

Tannehillunderpressure_original
It certainly doesn't bode well for quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who would probably love to have some extra time in the pocket to find his weapons in the passing game.

Tannehill was one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL when throwing under pressure in 2012, but unsurprisingly, his completion percentage was higher when there were no defenders in his face.

Clearly, a little pressure on the athletic and mobile Tannehill won't be the end of the world, but in a sport where all 11 men are required to do their job in sync and where one weak link can make the whole chain fall apart, the Dolphins need to be mindful that their weak link could result in the illustrious plans for their passing attack going awry from an early stage.
web page

Check him out on Youtube. The guy is a turnstile.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
D
Legend
Legend
D
If he is as stinky as the article says, how bad are they regretting letting Jake Long go?

I'd love just rotating Kruger, Jaball and Mingo to whatever side he is playing tackle, and letting our rookie/younger players get some easy pressures n' sack attacks

I think our defensive line has the ability to give ANY offensive line troubles though, and to let our linebackers kind of roam freely. Good players, good rotation - let us hope I am right.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ehh.....

I hope he struggles early when he plays us but I'll wait and see....there are still 4 preseason games and numerous practices to go. People were over-the-top concerned with Schwartz when he came in here and he got it together quickly.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
yea but martin has a year under his belt...

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh, good grief..... I think I may have discovered a hint of optimism about Game 1.

This is an odd feeling.

If this is true, and this guy is not only this bad, but is the guy they roll with on opening day.... it's going to be a train wreck for them.
We'll also get plenty of practice chasing Tannehill (if he survives the first half).

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tannehill could have a looooong season if he survives it.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

People were over-the-top concerned with Schwartz when he came in here ...

...but I was not one of them. I stated from the get-go we were going to like this guy...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Tannehill could have a looooong season if he survives it.

was about to say he may not make it out of week1

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Ha! You're right....Man, whatta brain fart on my end.

My bad.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It feels so good having not only a very good OL but one of the NFL's best ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not be a debbie downer but I think we have one of the best pass protections units in the league (top 3). I think the run blocking could stand for some improvement...hopefully we'll see continuous progression on that this year.

But overall, I do think we have a top 10 line.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thank you Debbie

Joe Thomas #73
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It feels so good having not only a very good OL but one of the NFL's best ...

Oh i'm feeling ya on that one brother!

It's nice to be "stable" and then improve, instead of just needing to improve. Now we just need a good play caller to execute what this line provides. Hopefully find ways to improve the run game. Is Norv that guy, with the backing of Chud? Oh I think so... all to be seen of course.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you Debbie

Right.

I only said that because I think many want it to be an offensive line other knowledgable fans of others teams look to as the best. I just don't think there yet because of (1) run blocking and (2) we aren't a winning team. Maybe more time with Greco at LG and Schwartz adding another year at RT, things will improve. Honestly, I expect it too.

When I think of THE best O-lines, I think of NE, SF, NYG, DEN.....but we are not too far behind.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Apparently, Joe is getting all he can handle from Kruger, Sheard, and Mingo in practice.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

I'm sure it's just a good angle for the writers. OLB is one of the positions of most interest this year, and what better way to write about it than comparing what they can do against JT. I wouldn't take anything they write on this as indicative of JT's play.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think you're right.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Check him out on Youtube. The guy is a turnstile.

Most of us were thinking Schwartz was a turnstile a year ago as well and it turned out not to be so, its camp time remember that...

That said the Browns are sure to look for weak links and this guy could turn out to be our best friend come Sept. the 8th..........

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think Joe suddenly lost it. He's handled pass rushers for years. He isn't old and he has always been a technique guy. I think the comments are more indicative of the defenders playing well.

I really think Sheard will be a better fit at 3-4 OLBer than he was as a 4-3 DE.

Legend
Legend
I said earlier that I expect 10 sacks out of Sheard.

I continue to stand by that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
If you were to bet me five bucks if Sheard wouldn't get 10 sacks, I wouldn't take it... I think he's going to beast it and he'll be moved around frequently from left side to right to be sent at the qb.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't think Joe suddenly lost it. He's handled pass rushers for years. He isn't old and he has always been a technique guy. I think the comments are more indicative of the defenders playing well.

I really think Sheard will be a better fit at 3-4 OLBer than he was as a 4-3 DE.

I agree, if these guys are working Big Joe hard, that bodes well against any other LT, because JT is the Best ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I still dont see us having much of a chance in this game. No josh Gordan means they wont have to commit to a double team, allowing them to stack the box and stuff Richardson in his tracks. bret grimes will most likely shut down any one of our wr's he is covering.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I still dont see us having much of a chance in this game. No josh Gordan means they wont have to commit to a double team, allowing them to stack the box and stuff Richardson in his tracks. bret grimes will most likely shut down any one of our wr's he is covering.

This could be like week 1 last year. At least we have Bess who knows that system.

ughhh

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

This could be like week 1 last year. At least we have Bess who knows that system.

ughhh

I think the dolphins offense is much to potent. Wallace, Gibson, Hartline< keller....who is going to cover all of those guys? ........have a feeling it will be ugly.....and it wont take long to get that way

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Tannehill will go down. He will go down hard, and he will go down often. I think the Browns win their opener, and I'm willing to bet an ice cold Natty Light on it.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Here's the thing about old Norval though- he is used to having to run against eight to nine men in the box, and knows what kind of plays, players, and blocking schemes are successful in doing so.

We'll be fine running the ball, that is one thing Norv has proven he can do everywhere he has gone.

And Brent Grimes? He's coming off of an achilles tear, isn't he? Also an older guy and hardly a shutdown corner. I'm not really worried about playing the Redskins South this year. Maybe it is just the optimist in me, though that has been beaten out quite a bit, but I'm not really worried about playing a team until week 3 this season.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I'm willing to bet an ice cold Natty Light on it.

Even if he won that, he is still a loser. Give the man a Budweiser at the least

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Here's the thing about old Norval though- he is used to having to run against eight to nine men in the box, and knows what kind of plays, players, and blocking schemes are successful in doing so.

We'll be fine running the ball, that is one thing Norv has proven he can do everywhere he has gone.

And Brent Grimes? He's coming off of an achilles tear, isn't he? Also an older guy and hardly a shutdown corner. I'm not really worried about playing the Redskins South this year. Maybe it is just the optimist in me, though that has been beaten out quite a bit, but I'm not really worried about playing a team until week 3 this season.

True, but the dolphins have a great D line. Could be one of the best if not the best in the NFL this season. I just dont like our chances.....they have way to many weapons on offense.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

LOL ill settle for a coors light....

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True, but the dolphins have a great D line. Could be one of the best if not the best in the NFL this season. I just dont like our chances.....they have way to many weapons on offense.

1. I'll take our OL over any opposing DL in the league.

2. The reason this thread was created in the first place, I don't care how many weapons you have, a QB can't complete passes from his back, which I think is a place Mr. Tannehil will find himself familiar with in Cleveland. I'm not worried about our secondary covering their WR, because I think Sheard, Kruger, and maybe Mingo will hurt Tannehil.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ughhh

I think the dolphins offense is much to potent. Wallace, Gibson, Hartline< keller....who is going to cover all of those guys? ........have a feeling it will be ugly.....and it wont take long to get that way

I am not worried about Dustin Keller at all. Haden can slow down Wallace. Gibson and Hartline might not be a problem. You're also not factoring Miami has zero running threat. You're worried about average players.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

And honestly, who have we ever had that could challenge joe in training camp.

Also, I owe you a film observation and report on Sheard still. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten yet.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL ill settle for a coors light....

I would take that bet for a Guinness, and if I lived anywhere near Ohio. May as well drink dirty water for the other bets.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The Dolphins tried to re-sign free-agent left tackle Jake Long but lost out in a bidding war with the St. Louis Rams.

Gotta give the Browns props for taking care of Joe when they did.

With the Dolphins knowing their situation without Jake Long and considering the filthy amount of money they spent on free agents this past off season it's a bit boggling as to how they let Long get away in a bidding war.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Gotta give the Browns props for taking care of Joe when they did.

Probably the best thing Heckert did for this franchise.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I said earlier that I expect 10 sacks out of Sheard.

I continue to stand by that.

Hope you are right, but I kinda doubt it. Not many guys get double digit sacks. And I think w/our multiple fronts and rotations, the sacks will be fairly evenly distributed.

Not taking anything away from Sheard. I think we agree he is a player and better suited to a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. I keep waiting for someone to challenge me on that...LOL.

Oh and 05-----------------I hope you do give me that report. It will be interesting. You did catch me on my one stretch in that post............the hip thing. Nice job, bro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Dang, I thought I was negative.

Why would anyone double team Gordon? He is a big WR who can make big plays, but he isn't even a good route runner. If I was a coach, I would rather have Bess than Gordon.

Although we have been notoriously bad in openers, I think this is one of winnable games. Miami's offensive line stinks. Our guys on the LOS will get after Tannehill. Wallace is a punk. He dropped an unreal number of balls last year because he was sulking. The Squeelers wanted no part of him. Who is their RB? They don't scare me at all. In fact, I think we match up quite well against the Fish.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Quote:

Dang, I thought I was negative.

Why would anyone double team Gordon? He is a big WR who can make big plays, but he isn't even a good route runner. If I was a coach, I would rather have Bess than Gordon.

Although we have been notoriously bad in openers, I think this is one of winnable games. Miami's offensive line stinks. Our guys on the LOS will get after Tannehill. Wallace is a punk. He dropped an unreal number of balls last year because he was sulking. The Squeelers wanted no part of him. Who is their RB? They don't scare me at all. In fact, I think we match up quite well against the Fish.

Just to Pile on!
1. I think Dion Jordan (is that right, dolphin pass rusher), is going to be better than any pass rusher on the Browns in 2013-14, he's going to be a star.
2. I think Tannehill is the real deal will have a quick release and get a deep pass at least once against coverage.

But if you look at the dolphins, Their Qb, though up and coming, is worse than the Bengal qb, Worse than Flacco, Worse than Roethlisburger, cept for the quick vs slow release.

The Dolphin O-line sounds worse than the Bengal o-line, worse than the Raven o-line, and (well the Steeler O-line is bad too).

The Dolphin running game is worse than the Bengal runninggame, worse than the steeler running game, and worse than the Raven running game.

The dolphin offense has to be less of a threat than the Bengal offense, probably is equal to or worse than the steeler offense, and definetly is less of a threat than the raven offense.

If this was a division game in the home opener, then you'd have to have No Excuse to not win it. So a dolphin team that's across the board Worse than any of your division opponents, you have no excuse to not win it.

In fact, they should dominate it.

The problem is, if Weeden is Bad! then just throw your hands up in the air in disbelief, because it will be a long- - - day.

Ravens are gonna win the division. (unless you stop them, each and every week of the season)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Agree with a lot of what you said, but no way no how do the Ravens win the division this year. With their personnel, they are going to have to win games like Houston wins games, but they don't have Houston's defense.

I know it is going to take some getting used to for some people, but the division is Cincy's to lose this year. Most talented team top to bottom in the division and have one of the most dominant units in the league with their DL.

Frankly, outside of Cincy winning the division, I don't know where to project anyone else. The division is a mess.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The problem is, if Weeden is Bad! then just throw your hands up in the air in disbelief, because it will be a long- - - day.

if

Joe Thomas #73
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum This could make Week 1 interesting

Link Copied to Clipboard