Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
'Cleveland Browns OC Norv Turner sees Brandon Weeden as starting QB, but likes Jason Campbell, too'

link

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer on August 02, 2013 at 10:53 PM, updated August 02, 2013 at 10:54 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Midway through training camp, Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner envisions quarterback Brandon Weeden starting the season, but he's been impressed with second-teamer Jason Campbell.

"We're getting Brandon ready to be the starter,'' Turner told The Plain Dealer this week. "He's getting a big chunk of the work, but we're getting the other two guys (including Brian Hoyer) ready to play. As we know, you better have all three of those guys ready to play in this league.''

But Turner doesn't expect that Weeden will struggle in the preseason games and lose the job.

"I don't envision that happening because of the way he's playing, but we've got to go play,'' said Turner. "That's a question more for (coach Rob Chudzinski) than for me, but I think everyone in that locker room understands that we're committed to playing the guys that give us the best chance to win. Until a guy has started and played at a high level and won, there's always going to be competition.''

Turner acknowledged that the offense has looked a little ragged at times, with more interceptions than any offensive coach wants to see.

"We've had a lot of mixed results and more inconsistencies than I'd like but that doesn't surprise me,'' said Turner. "However, we do need to have that sense of urgency that this thing's going to be on us real fast.''

He said Weeden is operating efficiently from a mechanical standpoint, but is still sometimes thinking a bit too much.

"When he's doing it right and he's got a sense of urgency with his feet and the ball's coming out, he's got all of the athleticism and the foot quickness and the arm quickness to get it out,'' said Turner. "There are sometimes when it may be a new play, it may be a defensive look that he hasn't had a lot of reps on and when you starting thinking too much, you tend to slow down and we're working through that.''

He said Campbell, who had some familiarity with the system, is adapting well.

"I really like what Jason has done,'' said Turner. "People say he's been in the system, but he found out right away it's a lot different than what we're doing. You can tell when he's in there that he's played. He's played a lot of football. So he's very comfortable in the pocket. He's very comfortable in terms of going through the progressions and then like the other guys, he's learning a new offense, so there's ups and downs but to me, he's been very, very consistent.''

Turner said former Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell, who worked for Turner in San Diego, came to practice and was impressed with Campbell.

"He said, 'I didn't realize Jason was as quick as he is and as quick with the ball,''' said Turner. "That's one of the things we started working on as soon as we got here. Get the ball out of our hand and he's really taken to it and done a good job with it.''

He said Campbell's challenge is that everything is foreign to him here, whereas Weeden has spent a year with his supporting cast.

"When you come into a place like this and you don't know anyone, you're getting used to the style of running game, you're getting used to the new tight end,'' said Turner. "We have a lot of young players and it's a new system.''

He said Weeden's been making good decisions, but that there are extenuating circumstances for some of the rough edges around the offense.

"You've got the combination of getting everyone on the same page and then we're seeing a lot of different looks from the defense,'' Turner said. "Sometimes they'll trick you -- all three of the quarterbacks -- and it's a matter of seeing it over and over and over again. It makes it more difficult now, but it's going to help us in the long run because each week you have to prepare for a different look.''

He said he's also seen progress in third-stringer Hoyer, who spent his first three seasons as Tom Brady's understudy in New England.

"I like Brian,'' said Turner. "He's obviously been exposed to a lot of different things. He's getting zeroed in on what we're doing. He's willing to take a chance with the ball and sometimes that ends up good and sometimes it ends up bad. We're trying to make sure when we take a chance, whether it's a tight throw or a big play, that we understand the consequences. I think he's improving in that area.''

After a poor Wednesday practice, Turner made a highlight reel of six or seven good plays to show to the offense.

"When we're doing things right, we've made a lot of good plays,'' he said. "It's just a matter of everybody getting comfortable and on the same page. I think even when a play isn't successful, they're all seeing what the capabilities are.''

Turner said he's been encouraged by the offensive line and the running game.

"Our offensive line is really coming together and they're seeing a lot of looks that will help us in the future and we're identifying things our guys do best,'' he said. "A big part of helping our quarterbacks play better is making sure we're sound in the running game.''

He said he fancies Trent Richardson as an every down back, one capable of 300 carries and 60 receptions. Richardson is currently sidelined until at least Monday after getting kicked in his previously injured shin on Thursday.

"It's hard for a tailback now to play every down the entire game, but they have to be prepared to play every down," he said. "If we're in a two-minute situation, I don't think any of us want to see Trent standing on the sidelines. But we need the other guys to be able to go in and play. I don't think there's a player in this league that can play 60 plays a game and make it, especially with all of the blitzes you're getting.''

The new offense will be on display Saturday night at 6:30 on Family Night at FirstEnergy Stadium, and Turner is hoping for an efficient practice.

He said he's also seen progress in third-stringer Hoyer, who spent his first three seasons as Tom Brady's understudy in New England.

"I like Brian,'' said Turner. "He's obviously been exposed to a lot of different things. He's getting zeroed in on what we're doing. He's willing to take a chance with the ball and sometimes that ends up good and sometimes it ends up bad. We're trying to make sure when we take a chance, whether it's a tight throw or a big play, that we understand the consequences. I think he's improving in that area.''

After a poor Wednesday practice, Turner made a highlight reel of six or seven good plays to show to the offense.

"When we're doing things right, we've made a lot of good plays,'' he said. "It's just a matter of everybody getting comfortable and on the same page. I think even when a play isn't successful, they're all seeing what the capabilities are.''

Turner said he's been encouraged by the offensive line and the running game.

"Our offensive line is really coming together and they're seeing a lot of looks that will help us in the future and we're identifying things our guys do best,'' he said. "A big part of helping our quarterbacks play better is making sure we're sound in the running game.''

He said he fancies Trent Richardson as an every down back, one capable of 300 carries and 60 receptions. Richardson is currently sidelined until at least Monday after getting kicked in his previously injured shin on Thursday.

"It's hard for a tailback now to play every down the entire game, but they have to be prepared to play every down," he said. "If we're in a two-minute situation, I don't think any of us want to see Trent standing on the sidelines. But we need the other guys to be able to go in and play. I don't think there's a player in this league that can play 60 plays a game and make it, especially with all of the blitzes you're getting.''

The new offense will be on display Saturday night at 6:30 on Family Night at FirstEnergy Stadium, and Turner is hoping for an efficient practice.

"We have a stretch like (the other day) where we complete three straight balls to Greg Little and it's bang, bang, bang,'' said Turner. "Then we have a stretch where we throw three incompletions. The more times we do it the better we're going to be.''

D
Legend
Legend
D
I got a little excited when I saw the post on the Main Index saying "Turner sees Weeden as star", LOL. Still, its newsworthy that Turner would say he saw him as the starter, although he certainly leaves enough wiggle room for a change at the position if Weeden poops the bed.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I got a little excited when I saw the post on the Main Index saying "Turner sees Weeden as star", LOL. Still, its newsworthy that Turner would say he saw him as the starter, although he certainly leaves enough wiggle room for a change at the position if Weeden poops the bed.

Poops the bed?!?

I **think** we are gonna have a good season this year... At least break even. For us Browns fans, that's good. lol.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Turner acknowledged that the offense has looked a little ragged at times, with more interceptions than any offensive coach wants to see.

"We've had a lot of mixed results and more inconsistencies than I'd like but that doesn't surprise me,'' said Turner. "However, we do need to have that sense of urgency that this thing's going to be on us real fast.''

and

Quote:

He said Weeden is operating efficiently from a mechanical standpoint, but is still sometimes thinking a bit too much.

"When he's doing it right and he's got a sense of urgency with his feet and the ball's coming out, he's got all of the athleticism and the foot quickness and the arm quickness to get it out,'' said Turner. "There are sometimes when it may be a new play, it may be a defensive look that he hasn't had a lot of reps on and when you starting thinking too much, you tend to slow down and we're working through that.''

Not what I wanted to hear.

T
Legend
Legend
T
When I hear about all the interceptions in practice, I start to question what is wrong. If Weeden throws a ton of ints, a load-ton of ints this year like DA did in 2008 and beyond, then the question has to be asked, " What is it about having Chudzinski around that is ruining quarterbacks.

One thing strikes me after watching the Browns since way - - back in 1999, is that since then, I can remember almost never seeing a pass thrown away out of bounds.

I hear about this quick release, they say, they're on them to get the ball out of their hands quickly, and I know that is because of pressure and sacks/fumble worries, but.
I remember Dan Marino had one of the, ( no ) , The quickest release of any quarterback in history, and I'd watch Marino in playoff games and he would throw the ball into the sidelines 2 times in a row, and come back on the next play and throw for a first down.
ON the first 2 plays something might not have been right, some might have been covered, but the pass rush didn't get to him because he threw it out of bounds and once it leaves his hands the defenders can't tackle him.

Now thinking about this , I ask. Why? !!! haven't the Browns done this at any time with any quarterback since 1999?

I see all of these terrible decisions from the qb year after year, whether it is a 1 yard completion, or check downs to players behind the line of scrimmage, and when I read this article
I fear this offense is way too easy on the defense to understand where the ball is going to be, and way to hard for the quarterback to decide which of a couple or 3-4 places it will be.

If you never throw the ball out of bounds on a play that is going bad, then you have a choice of where you are going to throw the interception.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and

Quote:

Its early, young players,new system, no josh gordan soon.....its gonna be ugly vers before its pretty.

And that was everybody's excuse last year when he was a rookie.

Prediction:
Once again Weeden's decision making is slow and he cant read defenses. After week 5 bye, Campbell comes in and we make the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

One thing strikes me after watching the Browns since way - - back in 1999, is that since then, I can remember almost never seeing a pass thrown away out of bounds.

You must have missed the games Brady Quinn played in.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
My issues with Weeden last year:

Have they changed?
-Slow footed
-Horrible feet
-Not getting it, speed of the game too fast for him
-Misses open receivers way too much
-A LiL slow on his release
-Horrible vision
-Cant throw a Screen pass

Preseason should be interesting... I think we gonna have a QB controversy whether we win or not. Our D and running game will keep us solid until we get consistency at the QB position.

Legend
Legend
I'll be ecstatic if we make the playoffs, no matter who the QB is. I would be all for Campbell being the QB if I thought that he would be able to lead the team to the playoffs. However, I don't know if that would happen.

I don't know if Weeden is the guy or not, but I want to find out. People lambaste the guy for not repairing 100% of his issues in 2 weeks worth of camp, but camp is the time for learning and improving. I would like to get to a pre-season game in before we bury any of the players, and decide that they haven't improved at all, and can't do anything right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't know if Weeden is the guy or not...

Well, you can be assured that he won't have a "sophomore slump"...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Im not sure Chud would be ruining Weeden.

I mean, he threw more INTs than TDs this past season...and this is preseason....this is even pre-preseason at this point.

He's having trouble throwing the ball against a defense that essentially knows what the offense is looking for. Before we worry about Weeden INTs, lets let the season begin to play out.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

and

Quote:

Time to call in Bernie for a little film room tutoring, perhaps....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and

Quote:

Its early, young players,new system, no josh gordan soon.....its gonna be ugly vers before its pretty.

And that was everybody's excuse last year when he was a rookie.

Prediction:
Once again Weeden's decision making is slow and he cant read defenses. After week 5 bye, Campbell comes in and we make the playoffs.

do you even watch football???? Excuses?!?!?! the whole offense...NOT JUST WEEDEN.....is learning a new system......what the heck do you expect?!?!?! for them to look like the 49ers right out the gate??? It doesnt always happen that way......every now and then....yes everything clicks right from the start....but most times it doesmnt work like that.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think it's 100% reasonable that Weeden should be on Tom Brady's level at this point in camp in his second season with a new coach, new OC, and new system.

I am very concerned when I hear reports that he isn't, and that is a very reasonable reaction. I will point this out every time I read a negative report out of TC. Again, this is beyond reasonable.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Tom Brady is a dink and dunker...

He should be throwing it deeper than that!

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

After week 5 bye, Campbell comes in and we make the playoffs.

I will wager any sum of money that Campbell doesn't come in after our week 5 bye.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
For an article created in the window of pre-season fluff-pieces, that's not a glowing endorsement of your 29-year old QB.

Those statements wouldn't mean nearly as much if he were 24.

We better have a magnificent running game and pass-blocking line because Weeden is highly unlikely to make big strides. Frankly, I'm expecting small strides with a ton of what we saw last year.

It's just about time for the pre-season optimism to fall through the realism window...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

After week 5 bye, Campbell comes in and we make the playoffs.

I will wager any sum of money that Campbell doesn't come in after our week 5 bye.

Even if Weeden gets injured? LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
The shine on Weeden is wearing off for me. The offense is tailor suited to him, so I hope he succeeds. But really the dude is already old. I don't want to go into next season wondering if he'll get it. Best of luck to him though, I don't doubt we can put up 2007 numbers even if he struggles.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Tell you what, why don't we have ourselves a little bet.

Account vs. account.

If Campbell starts after the week 5 bye, I'll leave this site forever.

If Campbell doesn't start after the week 5 bye, you leave forever.

What do you say?

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Account vs. account.

What do you say?

Are you really willing to bet on a Cleveland QB staying healthy?

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I'm willing to bet that multiple people on this site can't read a schedule, apparently.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Quote:

Account vs. account.

What do you say?

Im thinking he isnt going to respond.....

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm willing to bet that multiple people on this site can't read a schedule, apparently.

I'm not taking that bet at all! I know that you're correct.

For the ignorant among us...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Shush, you're spoiling my plan.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
JC

Anyone thing it might also be that since a defense can be installed quicker(usually) that it might just be our defense is looking awesome at our offense's expense.

I love hearing that our d-line is giving our o-line fits and that our DB's are intercepting ball all over the place. It means we finally have a defense that will give other teams a headache. Just imagine how that D-line is going to man handle other teams O-line that is no where near as good as ours.

At least interceptions with this offense will be intercepted way down the field and end up more like a punt. Let them go ahead and take some risks.

All of us KNOW that the future starting QB of the Browns is not on the team yet. The only question is will we take one next year or the year after that.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

All of us KNOW that the future starting QB of the Browns is not on the team yet

I DONT know that.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend

Totally agree.

Part of your job is to improve. Especially from year one to year two.

All of this talk about the offensive scheme fitting Weeden's skill set is meaningless to me. You still have to read the defense in front of you play by
play, game by game. You still have to know where to throw the ball and when. You still need to be accurate and anticipate.

The problems Weeden has had are related to him not the offense. I get it was his rookie year but at 30 the candle is burning. I hope he proves me wrong but I do not see him as a solution to what has been a long term problem.

He is being given the job. He will however be under the microscope. Management invested in the defense and had to give the first rounder a full opportunity. So here we are starting another season with a huge question mark at the most important position on the field. After this season Weeden either will have earned another year or will shown the door.

S
Legend
Legend
S
depends on what you see the solution as.

I think he can be a guy that stabilizes this offense to stop the carousel of bad QB's.

I don't think the end result with him is a Super Bowl.

I said it in a different topic, he's going to be the guy before the guy. Until that next great QB comes along, I think he can help with stability in this offense.

If he can't flourish in this scheme which seems to be fitted to his strengths, then it's never going to happen. We should find out very early.

I think the thing that differs him from the great QB's is that the great ones in the league now can operate without a good run game. I don't think Weeden can get things done without it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Anyone goto Family Night? I heard it was a rough night for Weeden making throws?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Anyone goto Family Night? I heard it was a rough night for Weeden making throws?

I only know what I read about the QB but watching NFL Network this morning, what a great sory about little 5 year old Ryan Encinas. He is in his second year of remission from a football-sized cancerous tumor on one of his lungs.The Browns were put in contact with his family and he was at camp Saturday all decked out in uniform.

http://youtu.be/ErgSpXd4RPQ

What a wonderfull feel-good, heart-warming story this is. Many thanks to the Browns and those who were directly responsible for Ryan's moment...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
I have read/heard that it was a pretty bad night for the offense as a whole. Norwood dropped 3 or 4 passes, and Gordon played slippery fingers as well. The QBs did not play well, but they also had little help.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
we have to face the possibility that the nfl might not have a offense that best suits weeden's talents.

D
Legend
Legend
D
That is a great story. I watched the video of him running onto the field and etc on the Brown's website. The fans "woof woof woof" when he got near the goal line is just the best.

That little kid had to be riding cloud nine!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

we have to face the possibility that the nfl might not have a offense that best suits weeden's talents.

I dont agree but that is funny

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You must have missed the games Brady Quinn played in.

"You have to at least keep the ball in bounds. I mean... give your guy a chance."

Legend
Legend
I remember a 4th down pass sailed into the stands when the QB came under modest pressure. I can't remember which QB that was though, just that I was amazed to see such a boneheaded play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Quinn did that a few times.
How is that guy still on a team?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I have no idea how he still manages to draw an NFL paycheck. Of course, NFL coaches are an arrogant bunch, and they all think that they are able to turn players around when other have failed.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Quinn did that a few times.
How is that guy still on a team?

Man I had to go and do a search to see if he was even on a roster...LOL Seattle. Forgot all about that

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Turner sees Weeden as starting QB, but likes Campbell, too

Link Copied to Clipboard