"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Legend
Legend
C
T.O. has also been negotiating with teams. (Yes, that T.O.)

Legend
Legend
Browns RG Shawn Lauvao carted off field with ankle injury
Aug 05, 2013 -- 7:36pm

By Tony Grossi

Observations, notes, quotes and some facts on Day 9 of Browns training camp …

* At the tail end of practice, starting right guard was carted off the field after turning an ankle in a one-on-one blocking drill against nose tackle Phil Taylor.

Coach Rob Chudzinski said he won’t know the extent of the injury until Tuesday. Teammate Jason Pinkston said he didn’t think it was severe and the Browns were just being cautious.

If Lauvao is held out of Thursday’s exhibition opener against St. Louis, Pinkston would be the likely replacement on the first team. He has been alternating at left and right guard all camp.

Pinkston lost his starting left guard spot last when he developed a blood clot that traveled from his leg to a lung and missed the final 10 games.

“I’m still getting there (to regaining his form),” Pinkston said. “I’ve been out of the game for like 6-7 months. It’s still gonna take some time to get used to moving my feet again, moving my hips.

Whether or not he starts in Lauvao’s place against the Rams, it will be a big night for Pinkston. He has not played in a game in FirstEnergy Stadium since Oct. 14.

* As expected, Trent Richardson was back working with the team after missing two practices because of a kick to the right shin he originally injured in May OTAs. Richardson did participate in some team drills, but was given a lighter work load than usual.

Afterwards, Chudzinski would not say if Richardson would play on Thursday. ESPN Cleveland reported Saturday that Richardson has been told he would be held out, per the precautionary plan the Browns have mapped out for him.

“We’re going to be smart,” the coach said. “We have a plan for him, in a general sense. We want him to work to get better and be out here on a daily basis.”

* The biggest revelation of Chudzinski’s first official depth chartwas that Chris Ogbonnaya was listed as the first-team fullback ahead of incumbent Owen Marecic. Ogbonnaya, who said his weight fluctuates between 225 and 235 pounds, was used as the lead blocker in goal-line drills on Monday.

“I think it’s fun,” Ogbonnaya said. “It’s a great challenge and I’m trying to accept that.”

With the team’s cautious approach to Richardson and Montario Hardesty still out with a hamstring tendon injury, Ogbonnaya’s versatility is being appreciated by the coaching staff. Dion Lewis and Brandon Jackson shared the reps at tailback on Monday, but Ogbonnaya lined up in several spots required by the fullback.

Chudzinski said, “He’s a guy that can play multiple positions. Sometimes it’s hard to put those guys in two different spots. The thing about depth charts, they don’t always tell the story of roles. There’s a lot of roles on teams that you need that aren’t necessarily covered on a depth chart. A guy that appears sometimes as a third teamer on a depth chart is the first teamer in some sort of role in some situation for a game. Certainly, Oby is a very valuable part of what we’re doing.”

* In one-on-one passing drills, cornerbacks Joe Haden and Chris Owensgot the better of Josh Gordon and Greg Little.

* The Browns did a lot of work on goal line plays. In 14 plays originating inside the 10-yard line, the offense reached the end zone nine times – three through the air, including a reception by Marecic. On the last play, reserve safety Josh Aubrey made the defensive play of the drill, shooting around right end and tackling running back Miguel Maysonet short of the goal line.

* At the end of two-minute drills, the kickers each made field goals of 52 yards.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=20671

#gmstrong
Pdawg #804229 08/05/13 07:48 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow this is crappy news...

Pdawg #804230 08/05/13 07:52 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
It seems like we should go with Bogotay and if he stinks hope Graham is still available.

Legend
Legend
Browns training camp: Transcript from news conference with coach Rob Chudzinski
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 5, 2013

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski met with reporters today following the 10th full-squad practice of training camp. Here is a transcript from the news conference:

Opening statement: “We’ll get started with the medical report here. Shawn Lauvao was injured. It looked like potentially his ankle. We will have to check him out and let you know tomorrow. Overall in practice we worked against each other. Today was the last day that we will really do that. We had a major install and as part of that we worked goal line today. Tomorrow we will focus more on St. Louis and getting ready for the first preseason game to prepare our guys. This will be a really good opportunity to shift the focus from the installation phase of training camp into getting more focused on specifics about games. We are getting guys ready to play and seeing how they react in game-like situations. Obviously we are looking forward to get going with that.”

On if he saw what happened on the play with Lauvao: “I did not.”

On if Lauvao is out for a length of time being a big blow to the offense: “I will just have to see what the injury was. Obviously (Jason) Pinkston has been working at the guard position as well. We have some young guys that need to get some work during the course of these preseason games. We will just have to wait and see what happens.”

On using Chris Ogbonnaya as a fullback: “He’s a very versatile guy. He’s able to play tailback and run the ball. He can play fullback and he can block. He can pass protect and catch passes. He’s a guy that can do a lot of different things. Those types of guys you can find roles for and they can help you win.”

On where Ryan Miller was working before he got hurt: “Ryan Miller was a tackle.”

On if Miller could play guard: “Probably not.”

On what he likes thus far since offseason: “I like what I’ve seen so far. I think the pass rush has been very good. I think the guys are grasping the defense and the concept of the defense as we are going on better and better and better. I see improvement and that is what I’m looking for during this part of training camp. I’m excited to get into the games and to see these guys against different guys other than the one they have been playing against in practice every day. I’m sure they are ready to do that as well.”

On whether the team’s identity will be on one side of the ball: “I wouldn’t say that. I don’t think there is a particular side of the ball that is going to be an identity of this team. I think the identity that we want is a bunch of guys that come out that are hungry and anxious to play and are passionate about playing who are going to play tough, physical football and want to win for the Cleveland Browns. Where that ultimately stands is that teams that win are teams that have balance on all sides of the ball, offense, defense and special teams.”

On Trent Richardson practicing today and what he might do with Richardson on Thursday night: “It’s good to have him back out there. I have not decided anything about Thursday night in regard to Trent.”

On spotting Richardson today to ease him back in: “Yes, we want to work him back in. We are going to be smart with him. We have a plan for him from a general sense. We want him to be able to work to get better to be able to come out here on a daily basis during training camp.”

On Ogbonnaya listed on the first depth chart as the starting fullback: “Again, he is a guy that can play multiple positions. Sometimes it is hard to put those guys in two different spots, but that is just where we put him from a depth-chart standpoint. The thing about depth charts is that they don’t always tell the story about roles. There are a lot of roles on teams that you need that aren’t necessarily covered on a depth chart. A guy that appears somewhere on a depth chart as a third-teamer is the first-teamer in some sort of role or situation when you play a game and certainly Ogbonnaya is a very valuable part of what we are doing.”

On how Jason Pinkston has been playing, and what side: “We’ve actually been working on him both sides. I think it remains to be seen which side I like him the best. His ability to move back and forth is a good thing. He’s been getting back to form. That’s a process to be going through; he’s been through a lot. I am seeing signs, especially these last few days, of improvement.”

On seeing changes with Brandon Weeden working with Norv Turner: “There have been a lot of things you look at from a mechanics standpoint and the job he’s doing by speeding up his feet and quickening his decisions. We haven’t held back. We’ve thrown a lot at him, from a mental standpoint. We’re pushing him hard and that’s the way I’m used to and that’s the way Norv coaches. He’s responded well from that.”

On the clock ticking with injured Montario Hardesty and David Nelson: “Those are guys we haven’t seen a lot of. I’d like to see them out here. A lot of times it is not under their control or my control. Hopefully, we will get a chance to see them out here soon.”

On where Nelson is with his injury: “Sometimes that is just a process of getting through that and it is still day by day. I hope he is able to get out here sooner than later.”

On making players wear the required leg pads during practice: “Yeah I have. Guys need to get used to it. It’s the way things are going to be. We are going to practice that way with them. There is a variety of different pads, size pads and styles of pads that guys can use. I know they have been testing them out and it’s been part of the reason why I want to make sure they have them on and along with the safety factors, obviously.”

On how St. John’s and high school helped him to where he is at now: “It was obviously a big part of growing up. The people I met and friends I made there and the relationships that I developed from there and the coaches; Fred Beyer was the head football coach when I played there. You talk about tough, you talk about discipline, and he taught us lessons that helped us become men.”

On hearing from a lot of people from the Toledo area: “Yeah, it’s been fun; everything from the fans and friends from that area and hearing about people being at the games. It’s been great. It’s been really enjoyable from that standpoint, personally.”

On what makes Davone Bess as good as he is: “He is an unbelievable worker to begin with. He’s a student of the game. He really understands the game and understands leverage and how to run routes. He’s got good quickness. Everything that he does is right. He’s a leader by example and a great guy to have on our team.”

http://www.ohio.com

#gmstrong
Pdawg #804232 08/05/13 08:58 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
--Hopefully, Lava's injury isn't too serious. I want continuity on the OL.

--I hope we don't cut Hardesty. He was a very high pick. We need production from him.

--I keep hearing good things about Owens. Hopefully, we got a player on the cheap.

--Wonder if Doug Martin is sitting out?

---Bet you that Ryan Miller will be cut.

Pdawg #804233 08/05/13 09:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really hate that for Lauvao and the Browns, ugg so much for continuity. Fortunately, I do feel we have 2 guys that should be able to step in without creating disaster. Anyway hope he can get back soon.

I knew OB was gonna stud out at FB. It is all about attitude and a willingness to put your body on the line and that kid has a throwback level of desire to play the game. I saw him just destroy both Ellerbe and Ray last year in blitz pickups, he has what it takes to be the best fb we have had in a very long time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I really hate that for Lauvao and the Browns, ugg so much for continuity. Fortunately, I do feel we have 2 guys that should be able to step in without creating disaster. Anyway hope he can get back soon.

I knew OB was gonna stud out at FB. It is all about attitude and a willingness to put your body on the line and that kid has a throwback level of desire to play the game. I saw him just destroy both Ellerbe and Ray last year in blitz pickups, he has what it takes to be the best fb we have had in a very long time.

And he has better hands than your typical FB .... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

And he has better hands than your typical FB .... JMHO

Considering OB never played the position much, I'd call him your atypical FB. If he does get the nod like it's expected he will, let's hope he blocks as well as he catches.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 08/05/13 09:19 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont know about Miller. I thought he did a pretty good job as the backup tackle in preseason last year but wow did he suck at guard. It was like having St. Claire back and at guard. Preseason he will have to show he has value as a backup tackle.

On Richardson sitting out, Norv has always been a bit protective of his RBs in preseason. I think Richardson will probably get about 1 games worth of carries in the entire preseason. I do agree on Hardesty though, I think the guys ability to make that quick one cut into the hole could be very advantageous for the Browns. I think he will have an opportunity to prove himself to this regime. Nelson however, is probably gone on first cuts unless he just blows it up out there.

I hope we can get the rookie a few reps with the first team at RG also. I think he has a future on this team, especially if we decide to go another direction with Mack, which I feel we are probably going to do.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I could be wrong about Miller, but that comment from Chud the other day about Miller being able to attend meetings but choosing not to---spoke volumes to me. The comment about guard was pretty brutal, too. LOL

You think Obi is going to be better than Vickers?

I think the Browns are smart to limit TRich. It just kinda bugs me that we have to do that w/this guy. I wanted us to trade down and take Martin. Still disappointed, I guess.

Legend
Legend
RB Trent Richardson limited with shin, might rest vs. Rams: Cleveland Browns quick snaps

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns running back Trent Richardson (shin) returned to practice on a limited basis Monday after sitting out the previous two sessions with a sore shin, and coach Rob Chudzinski said he hasn't yet decided if Richardson will play Thursday night in the preseason opener against the Rams at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Richardson told "Training Camp Daily'' on FoxSportsOhio that he'd like to play, but that he'll abide by whatever Chudzinski decides. He said Chudzinski told him that September is showtime, which would seem to indicate that they're leaning toward holding him out.

Richardson has vowed to play in all four preseason games after missing all four last year, but he's also determined to be smart about his body this season so he can stay healthy for 16 games.

Richardson participated in goal-line drills and took a few reps in some other team periods, but was held out of the two-minute sessions. He nearly scored in a goal-line drills, but was run out of bounds.

HARDESTY STILL OUT: NO. 2 running back Montario Hardesty is still sidelined with his hamstring tendon injury and is expected to sit out the Rams game. That means the Browns could be without their top two backs for the game.

WARD LIMITED: Safety T.J. Ward returned (hamstring) returned to the field, but was limited to individual drills only. Johnson Bademosi replaced him and responded by breaking up a pass to Greg Little in the back right side of the end zone. Meanwhile, Tashaun Gipson, who's been battling a sore shoulder, returned for full action and looks ready for Thursday.

TWO-MINUTE NOTES: In Brandon Weeden's first crack at the two-minute drills, he started at is 40 and needed a field goal to win. He completed two passes to his new go-to guy Davone Bess and had one deflected at the line. Then, the first unit was flagged for a penalty when Weeden was trying to spike the ball with one second left. Coach Rob Chudzinski let Graham line up for a field goal anyway, and he nailed a 53-yarder.

In Weeden's second chance at the two-minute, he needed a touchdown to win and hit Bess with an 11-yarder at the left side of the end zone, where he beat cornerback Chris Owens. Weeden and Bess also connected on a 23-yarder over the middle on the drive.

Jason Campbell produced a field goal -- a 52-yarder by Brandon Bogotay -- in his only chance at the two-minute, and Brian Hoyer found Josh Cooper for a 6-yard TD strike. Gary Barnidge made a nice, 15-yard leaping catch over the middle from Hoyer on the drive.

http://www.cleveland.com

#gmstrong
Pdawg #804239 08/05/13 09:37 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

HARDESTY STILL OUT: NO. 2 running back Montario Hardesty is still sidelined with his hamstring tendon injury and is expected to sit out the Rams game. That means the Browns could be without their top two backs for the game.

@#$%.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

--Hopefully, Lava's injury isn't too serious. I want continuity on the OL.

--I hope we don't cut Hardesty. He was a very high pick. We need production from him.

--I keep hearing good things about Owens. Hopefully, we got a player on the cheap.

--Wonder if Doug Martin is sitting out?

---Bet you that Ryan Miller will be cut.

I hope they don't cut Hardesty either. I read in the Plain Dealer on Sat? or Sunday they indeed were thinking of cutting him. I kinda liked when our Brownies were playin' both Richardson & Hardesty (at least a little) last year.

"We shall see...."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think OB can be as effective of a blocker as Vickers and he is more of a threat to run it and catch it. He may not just destroy people the way Vickers did early on but he he is willing to throw his body in there.

I missed the comment about Miller and meetings but the comment about Miller and guard was very accurate. He is atrocious.

I wanted to trade down a couple spots take Tannehill, Martin and Schwartz with our picks. I like a lot of what Weeden does but the reason you dont draft guys over 25 high in the first, is the fact that the upside is always very limited. I dont want to be the paranoid guy especially early in camp but I want to see serious progression from the start of camp to that 2nd preseason game.

This is the first preseason game this week so no time to panic but we should start seeing quicker decisions and a more accurate and more vocal QB. I think Weeden needs to step up and make a claim on this team. I am hearing Joe talk like this is his team. I am hearing Richardson talk like this is his team. I am just not hearing command leadership from our QB right now.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I was there also with ya last yr...

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #804243 08/05/13 10:35 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Tomlinson never played during the preseason.

Legend
Legend
Well .... where to start ........

Lauvao being hurt really sucks. Not only does our OL continuity take a hit, but so does our depth. Hopefully it's not too serious and he can make back before too long. I absolutely hope and pray that Pinkston is 100% ready to go.

Glad to hear that the offense (and special teams) was able to make some clutch plays against the defense today. All 3 QBs led drives, and that is encouraging.

I wonder if Gary Barnidge might not be considered a huge steal by the end of the season. Bess, though, will probably be the single most important signing of the off-season. For all of the defensive moves we made this year, I really like these 2 on offense.

For all the doom and gloom on offense so far, everyone should remember how horrible we looked in pre-season 2007. Neither Frye nor DA looked like they could do anything. For Frye this was accurate, but DA became a productive QB ..... at least for part of the season.

I like Obi at FB. I thought that we might try Brandon Jackson there when camp opened, but Obi makes a whole lot of sense too.

I think that the Browns are being really careful with Trent ..... but man, I wish we didn't have to.

I would be worried if I were Hardesty. Hopefully we'll be able to trade him for value if we decide that he doesn't fit here.

I hated seeing Miller trying to play last year. He was awful. However, as much as I hate to hear him skipping meetings this year, if he has a concussion, he could have issues with headaches that fluorescent lights and watching video in the dark could exasperate.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
horning in here, Vers... I hope you don't mind. Let's talk Football:

Quote:

You think Obi is going to be better than Vickers?

I think he has the potential to be, yes.

Disclaimer #1: I was (and still am) a huge Lawrence Vickers fan. On more than one occasion, I stated that Peyton "Mr. Eleven Seventy-Seven/One & Done" Hillis is a 600-750 yard back in 2010, without #47 blowing up defenders, and carving swaths of destruction.

Bold Statement: Chris Ogbonnaya has all the tools to be a better all-around back than LV was.

1. He's quicker, which immediately makes him more valuable on plays where the FB is the go-to guy. LV would engage the first tackler. Ogby has just enough 'quicks' to make the first tackler miss, leading to a potential extra 2-3 yards.

2. His hands are as good, if not better than LV's.
(Folks knock Lawrence's catching ability, but I never did. Let's not forget that LV was catching 'touch' passes from the original 'China Shop Bull' of touch passes, DA that year.) LV caught as well as one might expect for a FB, but he DID clang some easily-catchable balls that year. At critical moments during critical drives.

That said, I haven't seen Ogby clang the same ratio of similar catches, in his limited time. I see softer hands on Chris, and better downfield shiftiness, which speaks to his potential.

3. He blocks well- and will know the routes, allowing him to assume the role more quickly and seamlessly than LV did.

When the Browns let Terelle Smith go for this punk kid draftee Vickers, I was psst off... so I watched this 47 kid like a hawk. He flat-out sucked, early on. Missed blocks, bad timing, lost in the playbook, you name it. Then, a switch got thrown- and near the end of his first season, I was watching the beginnings of what would make me forget all about Smith. He became everything a fan could want from a FB... for a game of NFL football, circa Chud/2007- style.

Ogby will never blow up LB's like Vickers did. His downfield blocking isn't going to make a "Jacked- UP!" highlight reel, like LV's would.... let's get that out of the way right up front. That said- he doesn't have to blow up LB's in 47's fashion, to do his job. He must be in his space, hit his assignment, and disrupt the tackling assignment/timing of his man. If he only tangles him up, instead of blowing him off his feet, the job has been accomplished. Ogby can do that.

Would I miss the weekly highlights of LB's on their butts? Yep- for a week or so- until I realized that CO's block downfield sprung TRich, Monty or any of the others for an extra 4-6 yards.

Faster assimilation to the new scheme, overall competence, and measurable skill set make Chris Ogbonnaya an ideal candidate for a spot more beneficial to a Norv Turner Offense than Lawrence Vickers was to a Rob Chudzinski Offense.

Has he made me a believer yet?
No.

Does he have the potential to be more for us than LV47 was?

Yes.

Most definitely, YES.

Clem

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the Browns are smart to limit TRich. It just kinda bugs me that we have to do that w/this guy. I wanted us to trade down and take Martin. Still disappointed, I guess.

Get over it, Dawg. I have.

It is what it be.

I too thought that a 3rd overall for a RB was a reach- for my own reasons. They (like yours) are water under the bridge. It is what it is- and we gots what we got.

Like you, I don't need to see TRich in preseason games. I want to see him in games that mean something... and I want to see him fit, healthy- and able to 'tote the load' for 20 NFL games.

How's THAT for "thinking positively?"

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I don't like what I'm hearing about Trent. In his short, short time here..........well, he seems to be as durable as Hardesty, which gives me even more cause for concern. Yes, I know Trent played last year with broken ribs.

I just wish the guy could get healthy and stay that way. Didn't he say something along the lines of "I've never felt better" just a couple of weeks ago?

Is him being injured going to remain a weekly topic?

Legend
Legend
it appears like Trent is going to be on the injury report for his entire career. I know we don't want to use him too much, but I'm already tired of hearing about it.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
What's the point of him playing in the preseason?

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
wow i'm impressed... because last yr we totally disagreed..

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

wow i'm impressed... because last yr we totally disagreed..

See .... you're coming around. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I think that people love to see those "jacked up", blow someone up blocks ..... but a block can just tie up a defender for a couple of seconds and can be every bit as effective. Blocking can be pure "knock the defender out of the hole", or it can be a matter of redirection. Both work.

Will Obi jack people up? Probably not on a regular basis. Can he be effective moving a defender out of the way, redirecting a defender, and occasionally winning a straight up power block? I think so. He also gives us a real run/receiving threat. The opposing team can't look at him coming onto the field and say "Oh, it's a run, and the RB will definitely get the ball".

The more misdirection and confusion we can force on the defense, the better.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I just thought of this, maybe we drafted Marecic because we knew we'd have crappy QB play and he'd be able to make tackles after interceptions.

We are so far ahead of the game it's crazy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Vickers could block and he could......well, he could block. If that's all a guy can do, stick a guard back there.

Obi can do everything else well and we will find out about his blocking but the coach seems to think he blocks just fine.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Clem, I agree that Obi has better hands, that he is quicker, and that he is a better runner. I also agree that you don't have to "blow up LBs." However, we really don't even know if he is a good blocker. He was a RB. That is a completely different mind-set.

I was looking at some of the pictures that josh posted of TC. Obi was leading TRich [and yes they were just drills] but Obi better get lowered or it is he who is going to get blown up. You can't stand so erect when blocking. I want to be clear that I am NOT saying he won't be an effective blocker. What I am saying is that we really don't know if he can block or not......

........and let's be real here, if he can't block effectively, the quickness, the better hands, the running ability don't really mean squat from the FB position.

I like the idea of moving him there and seeing what he can do. I simply think it is premature to call him the best FB we've had.

N
Legend
Legend
N
agree it is definitely premature to say anything about Obi at FB.

in fact, it's premature to say he has better hands "as a FB" FB's have to run full speed into LBers and S's play after play and they use their hands on these plays. It can really affect ones ability to catch a ball when you are doing that all game.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Obi was leading TRich [and yes they were just drills] but Obi better get lowered or it is he who is going to get blown up. You can't stand so erect when blocking.

I noticed that too but then thought that without full-on hitting they were running more of a walk-through than real game blocking. Just being in the right place at the right time seemed more important than getting lowered at the point of attack since the "attack" is muted or held back. Did that make sense? I just felt that in a real game, at full speed he would attack differently.

What I like about him is that he is a decent RB first. Meaning that it makes him a real threat to take the hand-off for something more than quick smash short gainer-type run. But more importantly he can catch much better than any FB I remember us having out there. If he can get a block and then be a viable dump-off receiver that makes him a player who has to be accounted for by the defense as a receiver rather than ignoring him and focusing on Trich exclusively which I think with Marecic out there was often the case.

I don't really know much about the position. I always figured the FB to be a LV-type who just slobber knocked with is blocking. But with Obi having more of a skill set that includes receiving and running I see him as a bigger plus.

Norv said he used similar guys in the FB role in Washington with some success. I don't know if that was a "make do" situation or if it made sense for Norv's offense. Either way I trust Norv to make it work.

Damn am I ever going to be happy to come on here after a game and not read all the "play calling sucked" comments. One might second guess Norv but they're probably wrong. lol

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

One might second guess Norv but they're probably wrong. lol

The benefit of hindsight...priceless!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I think OB can be as effective of a blocker as Vickers and he is more of a threat to run it and catch it.

Obi is a much better runner and receiver than Marecic (no point in discussing Vickers), afterall, his receiving abilities were the only reason he's made the roster. Looking at his abilities and how they translate to the role of a FB will say he has great skills as a runner and a receiver. Yet as a blocker, which will be his primary role, Obi is a very inferior player. His pass-blocking has been very poor during his time here, and I've seen nothing that would indicate he's going to be an effective lead-blocker for anyone.

In terms of the FB position, this team is in trouble. It's time for the FO to admit they don't have a decent one on this team and go out and sign on. Why they haven't done that already is beyond me.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In terms of the FB position, this team is in trouble. It's time for the FO to admit they don't have a decent one on this team and go out and sign on. Why they haven't done that already is beyond me.

They have been listening to Peen

Joe Thomas #73
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I agree. I haven't understood what this team has done about the FB position for going on a year now. I mean, you get rid of your star FB and a team favorite in LV because you're supposed to be running some stupid offensive system that doesn't require a good blocking hard nose FB!? Meanwhile, as soon as LV was let go everybody started to see the weakness at that spot and recognized it immediately. However, our front office has either ignored the glaring hole at the FB position, doesn't consider it a position worth upgrading and spending money on because it's not flashy, or is just too ignorant to know what a difference having someone experienced at that position makes.

Frankly, I'm tired of having some non FB attempt to play FB and look like crap doing it. I think I speak for most of the fans when I say that I don't want someone to just be serviceable. I want the best player that we can possibly get at all positions. And if that means spending a little bit of money then so be it.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
excellent thoughts as usual,

E
Legend
Legend
E
Didn't sound that serious. I would think he will be ready for our 3rd preseason game. Also depends how long we keep Weeden in...we can switch out Pinkston and get Gilkey some work. He's the kid I liked from film. Miller I didn't think was good at all. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone if we choose to keep Cousins.

Hardesty...I could care less what we spent on him...if he is not the best for the Browns...no problems saying good bye. Lewis and Jackson have been looking good. Whatever happens this season I truly doubt any negatives will be from a lack of depth at the RB position.

Love the notion of using Ogb as our starting FB...see you Marecic.

For me it will be Gilkey as the one to watch come Preseason game day! Whats his #

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #804264 08/06/13 11:27 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Hardesty...I could care less what we spent on him...if he is not the best for the Browns...no problems saying good bye.

I agree. What we spent on him doesn't really matter at this point.

I understand we want top picks to pan out, but when and if they don't, there is no sense in goofing around with the guy. We are at the point we have several others who can step in if TR goes down or needs a rest.

As for value, we have already lost the value in that pick since we selected Richardson. The only way Hardesty regains his value is if he starts and plays well, but then that means we lose the value for Richardson.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
No I will disagree. Many teams run two back offenses now. If Hardesty proves out to be a good and "reliable" #2 RB, then the value of Richardson is not effected in light of this.

Hardesty is a good change of pace back with different running style than TRich. IMO, they BOTH can be effective, they both can help and feed off each other, and they both can hold value with this team. All to be seen, by the sounds of it Trent predicted to get a lot of carries so whoever the #2 RB is may have extremely limited snaps.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum TC Info Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard