Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#805420 08/13/13 12:04 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well.. My nest is going to be just me and the cat. DancinDawg is starting her senior year at Kent State and I'll be moving SackDawg down to Athens, Ohio in ten days so he can begin his freshman year at OU. This is going to be weird not seeing the kiddos.

Cchhanges...

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nice, enjoy.

F
Legend
Legend
F
It's a little odd at first, then you adjust, and begin to really enjoy the freedom and lack of responsibility.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
must...be...nice.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I can't believe your kids are old enough for college! Man! I'm getting old (as will be evidenced by my birthday this year - 40 - gah!)

FYI, gobrowns daughter is heading to OU too.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Congratulations.

If I had kids, I think that my favorite part if their lives would be when they said "Goodbye Dad" and moved out.

Don't get me wrong ..... I love kids ...... as long as they're someone else's, and they go home.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Arps #805426 08/13/13 03:44 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

must...be...nice.

Arps, if you don't want to be nice.. don't be. It's not going to bother me. DT isn't just an online community, many of the posters on here have met one another and a fair number have met my kids at games, tailgates and camps. Many have seen them grow up.. BrownsBabe on this thread is an example.

From time to time we do share whats going on in life. If that makes you uncomfortable that you struggle to be nice.. then I feel bad for you.

SaintDawg™

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

must...be...nice.

Arps, if you don't want to be nice.. don't be. It's not going to bother me. DT isn't just an online community, many of the posters on here have met one another and a fair number have met my kids at games, tailgates and camps. Many have seen them grow up.. BrownsBabe on this thread is an example.

From time to time we do share whats going on in life. If that makes you uncomfortable that you struggle to be nice.. then I feel bad for you.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he meant it must be nice to have a quiet house all to yourself. Not that he must be nice.

Take a deep breath and have a beer. Your son certainly will in Athens....LOL

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
P
Legend
Legend
P
As if I didn't feel old enough already!

I'm glad to hear your kids are doing well. Doesn't seem so long ago they were small.

They do grow up fast and speaking from experience, it does take some getting used to. But in the not so distant future, the grandkids are nice!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
UNREAL!!! They were so young when we met them!! At least they are pretty close by, Saint!

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

must...be...nice.

I don't know what you thought he meant, but I took it to mean that he is "jealous" of you getting them all moved out. I think that it was an innocent comment.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

must...be...nice.

I don't know what you thought he meant, but I took it to mean that he is "jealous" of you getting them all moved out. I think that it was an innocent comment.

Ooops!

Yanno YTown.. I think youre right. Who woulda thunk it? I'm so used to fights and squabbles on here. I guess I took this one the wrong way.

Arps.. this one is my fault. Accept my apologies.

SaintDawg™

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Congratulations.

If I had kids, I think that my favorite part if their lives would be when they said "Goodbye Dad" and moved out.

Don't get me wrong ..... I love kids ...... as long as they're someone else's, and they go home.

This +1.

Celebrate. You finally get your life back.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Welcome to my world bro. My baby girl is 27 and both of my kids are married and moved out long ago

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
That must be an odd feeling. It makes me want to enjoy the job of being a parent to my 16yo even more. I only have a few more short years of this, I want to make the most of them. Congrats on achieving one of life's milestones.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Just a simple misunderstanding, No worries pal. My kids are 2 and 7. They are both good kids and pretty well behaved. However the wife and I dont get many chances to get away or spend any time alone which lately has sort of become a problem. One of my favorite pass times in the summer is motorcycling and the wife has been getting jealous because she doesnt get to go very often, so I in turn am kind of jealous that your kids are grown. Dont get me wrong, I love my kids dearly and will miss them greatly when they are gone...some freedom would be nice too though.

If your house gets too quiet and you want to babysit, call me.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I know what you mean my friend. Watching them in the rearview mirror as you drive off is hard to do. It was for me anyway. I cried like a baby.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Arps #805438 08/14/13 11:15 AM
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Don't wish these times away . I'm sure you have heard it a million times but you will wake up one day and wonder where the time went . The silence in the house becomes so " loud" it is unbearable .

IRE 45 #805439 08/14/13 08:43 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Don't wish these times away . I'm sure you have heard it a million times but you will wake up one day and wonder where the time went . The silence in the house becomes so " loud" it is unbearable .

Forgive me if I am wrong, or be thankful if I am, but didn't you lose a daughter in a traffic accident?

At any rate, you or not, that was a heart sombering moment on this board.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Don't mean to answer for him........but I will.

Yes.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Don't mean to answer for him........but I will.

Yes.

I thought so. Sometimes I wish I had the ability to change things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Two years ago Tuesday in fact . We went to her memorial park to let some balloons fly as we do on special occasions while we shared some of our favorite memories and had a laugh or two . While we were there I saw a guy was practicing softball with his two younger daughters when I noticed that he was being kind of short tempered and started yelling about how they were lazy and didn't appreciate the fact that he was giving him his time which was valuable ( his words ) . I wanted to walk over and tell him to treasure each second of his daughters youth as it would be over far too quickly .

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Man time flies by... I still remember meeting you in person and discovering he and I were neighbors... too funny.

Enjoy! My daughter turns 1 next month. I have quite awhile before I'm in your boat.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Don't blink bro or she will be asking for the car keys

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
When my son left for Ohio U, the wife and daughter cried. When daddy's little girl left 4 years later, I cried. She was the epitome of what you want a teenage girl to be...never caused an ounce of trouble, concerned with studies more than boys. She was "weird".lol

But after you see the successes they have become, you ask yourself why the hell did you wanted them hangin around here at home! I'm proud to be an empty nester!....my son is in his 3rd year of med school on his way to becoming a doctor, and my daughter is in her 3rd year at West Point.

She's the shortie in the middle!...not really short, the other two are on the tall side..
People oft ask how many women attend WP...it's about 17% women.

Jake #805446 08/16/13 06:57 PM
Legend
Legend
Good lookin girl there Jake! Too bad I didn't go to West Point

In all seriousness, congrats with both kids!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll be in your boat at this time next week.

Not looking forward to it at all...but it's what we raise them to do/be...it's the way life should be...even if I hate it

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My kids couldn't wait to get out of our Hell hole as they called it.They said they wanted as far away from this area as they could get.Just running their jaws cause my daughter lives right next door (glad to have them there with my grand daughters) and my son lives less than a mile down the road.Wow they really put some distance between here and there.LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

My kids couldn't wait to get out of our Hell hole as they called it.They said they wanted as far away from this area as they could get.Just running their jaws cause my daughter lives right next door (glad to have them there with my grand daughters) and my son lives less than a mile down the road.Wow they really put some distance between here and there.LOL

Sometimes it works that way, others it puts them hundreds of miles away.

It is what it is.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It's funny .... after I turned 18, I moved to Columbus. I lived there for about a year. I have lived in Streetsboro, and in Cleveland (Maple Heights) as well. My brother has lived in Youngstown his whole life. (the area, not necessarily the city)

Today my mother and my brother both live within a mile of my house. It works well, because we can all do anything that needs done for one another.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I wanted to move far away (Parents in Warren) and I partially succeeded. My "permanent" home is in Columbus. My current home is in Germany. Honestly though, if there were jobs in the Warren area, I probably would have never left.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I was blessed to grow up in a wonderful family. Lots of love. My sisters are very dear to me. I couldn't ask for a better mom...
Yet when high school ended I moved from NW Ohio to Columbus for school. Lived there or in Bowling Green for the next 11 years. Then when I had the first real opportunity to get out of Ohio I took it.

I now live 2500 miles away in Oregon. I'm still very close with my family. Talking with them regularly on the phone. Visiting when I can. My mom has come out every year to visit since I've moved. I just booked her and my stepdad's flight for next month. Can't wait to see them.

Would I like to live closer to them all? Yes, but it's not my fault they chose to stay in Ohio. I'm the one that found the place with no humidity. Few mosquitos. Dry, thunderstorm free summers. Mild winters. Year round snow skiing an hour and change away. The ocean an hour and change away. Mountains, waterfalls, world class salmon fishing... Nope. They'll have to follow me. I'm not going back.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Dry, thunderstorm free summers.

I always pictured Oregon as being wet most of the time. Sounds like a great place to live.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Shhhhhhhhh....
Don't tell anyone but our summers are VERY dry. We haven't seen any real rain since late June. It's awesome. From June through late August I can plan my weekends out and pretty much know I won't get rained out.
Now from August through June we do get rain. But when you see rain on the weather map it's not what Ohioans think of. We rarely get sideways, torrential downpours. Most of the winter it's just a light drizzle. The rain that falls most of the winter is the type you get wet on your chest from walking through more so than wet on your shoulders from it falling on you. No one uses raincoats (unless you're outside all day). Only Californians use umbrellas in Oregon. My winter coat is a lightweight, zip up fleece. It keeps me warm and dry. I'll take 40-45 degree drizzle over 8 degree sunny winter days. It's not for everyone. People get seasonal depression from the lack of winter sun. Me. I just remind myself that if its drizzle in the valley it's snowing in the mountains.
When I want sun I go skiing. Mt Hood's highest lift is over 8000'. Often above the clouds. I can ski all day in sunshine then drive back to Portland's drizzle.
More importantly my summers don't get rained out. I don't miss that about Ohio for sure.
Oregon has two seasons, wet and dry.

A quick snapshot...
Large US cities where it rains or snows on over 130 days each year
Rochester, New York, 167 days
Buffalo, New York, 167 days
Portland, Oregon, 164 days
Cleveland, Ohio, 155 days
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 151 days
Seattle, Washington, 149 days
Columbus, Ohio, 139 days
Cincinnati, Ohio, 137 days
Miami, Florida, 135 days
Detroit, Michigan, 135 days

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 08/18/13 12:27 PM.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ooops!

Yanno YTown.. I think youre right. Who woulda thunk it? I'm so used to fights and squabbles on here. I guess I took this one the wrong way.

Understandable... considering the recent 'pricklyness' around these here parts...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

It's funny .... after I turned 18, I moved to Columbus. I lived there for about a year. I have lived in Streetsboro, and in Cleveland (Maple Heights) as well. My brother has lived in Youngstown his whole life. (the area, not necessarily the city)

Today my mother and my brother both live within a mile of my house. It works well, because we can all do anything that needs done for one another.

I often think that would be nice. It has never worked that way in my life. After HS plus maybe 1 year, I was removed from them. Then when they moved fairly close to where I was I moved to Tennessee. I have always pretty much been removed since I was 19. Not by choice. Just the twists and turns of life.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks everyone for the great responses. Arps.. sorry again. I just got back from waterskiing Thursday - Sunday upstate michigan north of saginaw / bay city and about 40 mins west of lake huron.

I'm sunburnt, sore and I'd do it again in a ny second. I'm just glad to see all these great posters. Ya'll have a good weekend.

SaintDawg™

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
What I found to be the coolest thing re: empty nest syndrome, is that my wife and I are still in love, AND our kids still like us! Go figure...

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What I found to be the coolest thing re: empty nest syndrome, is that my wife and I are still in love, AND our kids still like us! Go figure...

Y'all must have been doing something right....
...or, you're just plain lucky-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Empty nest time.

Link Copied to Clipboard