#805483 08/13/13 05:07 PM
P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/20...eaks-chudzinski

I'm very happy to announce that I've recently become the charter member of the Brandon Weeden fan club.

Somebody had to because that kind of support for the second-year quarterback sure as heck isn't going to come from his employer, the Cleveland Browns, and I think that stinks to high heavens. It's sad, really.

In case this is news, let me peel back the curtain. The Browns have publicly supported Weeden as you would expect. He is, after all, the team's presumptive starter at the most important position in all of team sports.

For the vast majority of franchises in the NFL, that player would also have the private support of the front office and coaching staff.

That doesn’t include the Browns, evidently.

Any other organization would realize how fortunate it would be if Weeden blossomed under new head coach Rob Chudzinski and offensive coordinator Norv Turner and became a top 20 quarterback.

Instead of holding out hope that Weeden could be the guy, it appears someone within the organization has been letting multiple NFL insiders and reporters know that they've already decided he's not. I don't know that to be the case for sure, but my instincts lead me to strongly suspect that is what is going on here.

One national reporter wrote a column about the Browns quarterback of the future likely being in the 2014 draft. Another tweeted after attending Browns camp that he doesn't believe Weeden is the guy for this franchise. These are the type of insiders who offer opinions based more on what they hear than what they see. Fact is, they are great reporters who are just doing their job and I don't fault them at all.

My issue is with the person feeding them this information. It could be owner Jimmy Haslam or team president Joe Banner or general manager Mike Lombardi or even Chudzinski. That part of it is immaterial to me. What matters is that someone of authority—because respected national writers wouldn't write such things unless they knew it to be true—has been putting the word out that Weeden wasn't the answer before the guy even took a single snap in a preseason game. To me, that is total garbage.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive as a former player. Perhaps the Browns source is just being honest and telling it like it is. Weeden had an average rookie season in 2012, especially compared to classmates like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. Plus, he's already 30 years old and as such may not be the type of guy that a new regime wants to build around. I recognize all of that and in fact could even be on board with that logic, but do you have to tell members of the media that?

What on earth can possibly be gained? Even if all of that is true, wouldn't it be better to keep that to yourself and throw all of your support, both publicly AND privately, behind the guy? That would give Weeden the best chance to succeed and if he does succeed, this franchise is in business and everyone's job security would be enhanced significantly.

If I can deduce that this is happening, I'm quite sure players in the locker room can as well. Fans, who are much smarter than front office executives give them credit for, see it too. Heck, Weeden's an intelligent guy. He's probably figured it out. Talk about cutting off a guy's legs and not even giving him a shot.

I've seen this dynamic happen too many times during my time in the NFL, which is why I laugh at the notion of football being the "ultimate team sport.” That's true in high school and maybe in college, but the NFL is a complicated maze of personal agendas.

My roommate back in 2002 was a fellow offensive lineman. He told me that one of the pro scouts said, "You can beat out Tucker; he sucks," because it would have made the scout look better if the guy he scooped off another team's practice squad (my roommate) beat out the undrafted free agent out of Princeton whom he had nothing to do with acquiring. Assistant coaches I was particularly close to on teams I played for told me directly that college scouts would badmouth me behind closed doors for the same reason.

It's really kind of pathetic, isn't it? Don't we all have the same employer? Aren't we all supposed to have the same goals? Evidently not and this Weeden story is just the latest example.

That's why I was so pleased that Weeden played so well in the first preseason game this past weekend. He went 10-13 for 112 yards and a touchdown. Good for him. I hope he does that 19 more times. Maybe more if he can get the moribund franchise into the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

If the organization won't support him properly, then I will. I'm now fully on board with Team Weeden and want him to have success this season in the worst way.

For him, not the Cleveland Browns.

Ross Tucker is a 2001 Princeton graduate who played seven years in the NFL for five different teams before retiring in 2008. He is currently the host of "The Opening Drive" weekdays from 8-11 a.m. ET on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know that to be the case for sure, but my instincts lead me to strongly suspect that is what is going on here.

Stopped reading there.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

it appears someone within the organization has been letting multiple NFL insiders and reporters know that they've already decided he's not. I don't know that to be the case for sure, but my instincts lead me to strongly suspect that is what is going on here.

Hmmm. It truly boggles the mind on who it could be.

..if true, of course.

I like Ross Tucker and he has been known to get some legitimate inside information on teams. Not saying that automatically is the case here, but it's not that surprising of information if you ask me.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
If this were true, then why wouldn't the Browns have given Campbell more of a chance to win the starting job? He never moved out of the #2 role, at all. He hardly ever gets snaps with the 1st team. Weeden has been about as firmly entrenched as the starter as any QB in the league as far as times spent as the #1.

I could see maybe a person in the front office not having faith in Weeden, but I have seen no indication that the coaching staff or front office have held him back from being the starting QB this year. This seems like a bunch of hot air to me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know that to be the case for sure, but my instincts lead me to strongly suspect that is what is going on here.

Stopped reading there.

Why?

Tucker cites an unnamed twitter source as saying "the Browns don't believe Weeden is the answer....", and another "national" sports reporter that wrote a column about the Browns qb of the future being in the 2014 draft.

Un named twitter, and un mentioned "national sports writer".

Now, maybe the unmentioned sources are real. And maybe they're accurate. Why not mention them? If the reporter wrote an article........it's public. Why not mention it?

If the twitterer tweeted - it's public. Why not show it?

This guy is making it look like he has an inside source, but the sources he listed would be public. This isn't Tucker talking to Banner, then saying "sources told me......"

Regardless - this IS Weeden's year to shine. If he does, all this hoopla goes away. If he doesn't, well, it is what it is.

Legend
Legend
I am for Weeden to improve. Move along already.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
this is the 2nd or 3rd thing I've heard from Tucker on this issue. I get the feeling he's being pumped info by someone ... I wonder who?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

If this were true, then why wouldn't the Browns have given Campbell more of a chance to win the starting job?

Because If they dont give Weeden the chance... Half of Cleveland will be on riot status.

I dont see how this is such a shock. Many see what I see, Strong Arm, no touch, trouble upstairs(onthefield), and a lot of mechanical issues.

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
He's probably got someone in his ear, yeah. Someone he can't cite.

He's not a great writer, and a lot of what he says, he can't back up.

But it doesn't take an insider to see how lukewarm the new FO has been on Weeden. I don't remember the last time a staff was so 'meh' on an obvious starting QB.

It's the bottom of the ninth with two outs for Weeden. Based on his performance thus far, he doesn't look like he'll be able to cut it as a starter in this league. But he does have a chance, and the stars are aligned for him, system-wise.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm not sure what the story is. Haven't we all known this since the day Banner got hired?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...he's being pumped info by someone ... I wonder who?

The coaching staff has everything to lose if Weeden performs poorly under their tutelege. So I don't believe it's the coaches.I don't see what Banner would have to gain if he is the Deep Throat (which I doubt). That leaves only somebody in the FO whose initials are ML. He never did like Weeden if memory serves me correctly...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
well chud said today. Chud said the qb competition is still close, not ready to name a starter yet. soooo

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I like Ross Tucker and ...

...I frequently listen to his morning show. I believe him a good guy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Many see what I see, Strong Arm, no touch, trouble upstairs(onthefield), and a lot of mechanical issues.

IMO, Weeds biggest issue is his age. If he was 23-24, all would be talking about how we found a QB that we could work with and win with. No touch? gimme a break, trouble upstairs? He is coming off his rookie yr. and you got him pegged as troubled upstairs, amazing. Like I said if he was 23-24, you'd be talking about letting him grow. People refer to him as 30 yrs. old, he is still 29, until Oct. I think. Talk about discrimination. Let the man play before you cast him aside. As long as people look at his age instead of him, he will never have a fair chance. I hope the FO is smarter than that.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Based on his performance thus far, he doesn't look like he'll be able to cut it as a starter in this league. But he does have a chance, and the stars are aligned for him, system-wise.

Did I read that right? The Man put up very good numbers in his first pre-season game in a new system, and you say his performance does not look good? What did you expect? 13-13 and 3 tds? Oh wait, if he was younger than you'd be happy? Right? I wonder about some of you guys. I'm glad your not in my family. So much for your support.

#GMSTRONG

V
Legend
Legend
V
That may have been the most opinionated, stupid article I have ever read. Really?

The guy sucked last year. He was ranked 35th in the league. He threw more picks than TDs. He held the ball forever. And he had a great pass blocking OL.

Gee, I wonder why the Browns might be skeptical. They are giving him a chance to prove himself this year. It's more than guys like Colt got.

I don't know why anyone needs to guess who doesn't believe in him, unless you just wanna bash Lombardi. My guess is that the entire regime has serious doubts about the guy.

He was horrible. I can't believe we have to watch him play. His parents should be embarrassed. He has red hair and was probably a step child. He's an old man who should be collecting social security.

Oh sorry, I was channeling my inner-Bernie.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Oh sorry, I was channeling my inner-Bernie.

Your sense of humor is showing through, Vers. Good one...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
Is it a coincidence that the following statement was made by Banner following practice today? Joe always seems to choose his words carefully like an east coast corporate lawyer. Maybe that's why I'm usually struck by the lack of passion in "how" he says what he says. In any event it does offer a counter to the whispering campaign Tucker wrote about. Take it for what it's worth.

Banner gives the real score on Weeden

Print Comment
By Steve Doerschuk
What Joe Banner said during practice is a better read on Brandon Weeden's status than Chud saying after practice that the quarterback competition is close. Here's the story we shipped to cantonrep.com.

BY STEVE DOERSCHUK
Repository sports writer
BEREA Browns CEO Joe Banner made it abundantly clear Brandon Weeden is the man for now. He drew the line there.
Talking near a field to the Browns’ FM radio flagship station Tuesday, Banner responded to reports the team does not see Weeden as the quarterback of the future.
“The truth is we want to give Brandon every opportunity to succeed,” Banner said. “We’re doing everything we can to support him in that success.
“It’s a hugely important thing for the team that he is successful.”
Head coach Rob Chudzinski has yet to name Weeden the opening-day starter. Banner all but said he is and put the ball in Weeden’s court as to “long-term.”
“I think time will tell,” Banner said. “He’s definitely put in and put in tremendous work, clearly showing he wants to do what it takes to be the best he can be.
“Now we have to get into regular-season games and see how he does and whether in those tougher situations the development you want to see is there.
“Nobody is ready to be ready to be negative about it. Nobody is ready to endorse it yet. But we’re hopeful, and we’re seeing a lot of encouraging signs.”
Tuesday’s final practice that was open to the public was the same as all the others. Weeden operated with the “ones.” Jason Campbell had the first crack with the “twos,” with Brian Hoyer also getting regular work with the top backups.
Banner suggested this arrangement speaks volumes about head coach Rob Chudzinski’s commitment to Weeden.
“I think he feels like he’s getting all the quarterbacks’ good reps, and a chance to evaluate them,” Banner said, “and at the same time came into it with a feeling that Brandon deserved every opportunity, whether it was coaching, reps, playing with the better WRs.
“He should be given every opportunity to develop.”
In Weeden, Banner and the new regime are working with somebody else’s 2012 Round 11 draft pick.
“There’s a big difference for quarterbacks from year one to year two,” Banner said. “I think we gave him every chance to demonstrate that development and that he’s Brandon’s the right guy.”
The first of the Browns’ two Round 1 picks last year missed the preseason opener. Trent Richardson’s playing status for Detroit is up in the air.
“That’s a total coach’s decision,” Banner said. “We put together a plan that makes sure Trent will be ready in terms of learning the system and those kind of things, but maximizing the chance he’ll be healthy and can stay healthy through the season.”
Banner noted that NFL all-time rushing leader Emmitt Smith “didn’t practice for years” in Dallas. Norv Turner, now with the Browns, was Smith’s coordinator in his early years.
Turner heads for the regular season knowing he will be without No. 1 wideout Josh Gordon, who is suspended for two games.
Banner’s take on Gordon:
“It would be dishonest to say we didn’t have concerns. There’s too much history there. On the other hand, Josh seems to be taking responsibility of what he can control. Despite some rumors and stories out there, we feel like he’s working hard and trying to improve.
“He’s developing a good relationship with Chud and his position coaches.”
Meanwhile, Banner clarified his position on Bernie Kosar, who apologized to the Rams for controversial remarks in his role as a TV analyst.
“It was never a question of whether to keep him on the broadcast or not,” Banner said. “We feel there’s an appropriate kind of dialogue to use.”
Banner said he didn’t object to the “substance” of Kosar’s opinions.

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1465130965/Banner-gives-the-real-score-on-Weeden#ixzz2btTSOarn

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

Did I read that right? The Man put up very good numbers in his first pre-season game in a new system, and you say his performance does not look good?

I know it's silly season and all, but are you really citing a preseason game as evidence that Weeden looks like a viable starter in this league?

Quote:

Oh wait, if he was younger than you'd be happy? Right?

Younger, smarter, more accurate, better able to read coverages, etc.

Quote:

I wonder about some of you guys. I'm glad your not in my family. So much for your support.

What am I supposed to do? Close my eyes and pretend that Weeden looks like the real deal despite all the evidence to the contrary?

I'm not 12 anymore, I don't have it in me to pretend like every Browns player is capable of making it in this league.

Weeden certainly has a chance, but the odds don't look that great.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
"What matters is that someone of authority—because respected national writers wouldn't write such things unless they knew it to be true—has been putting the word out that Weeden wasn't the answer before the guy even took a single snap in a preseason game. "

I stopped reading here because we all know the media would never do such things. Seriously I thought the whole article was a joke at this point.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stopped reading there.

Why?

Tucker cites an unnamed twitter source as saying "the Browns don't believe Weeden is the answer....", and another "national" sports reporter that wrote a column about the Browns qb of the future being in the 2014 draft.

Un named twitter, and un mentioned "national sports writer".

Now, maybe the unmentioned sources are real. And maybe they're accurate. Why not mention them? If the reporter wrote an article........it's public. Why not mention it?

If the twitterer tweeted - it's public. Why not show it?

#1 - the reason you just mentioned, if it's on Twitter and a national sports writer, name them. Even then, how does that prove that someone or multiple someones aren't sold on Weeden? It's just a poorly backed up opinion piece. To me, it's a deadline article. Something to write to meet the deadline and get people talking.

#2 - OF COURSE the browns front office isn't completely sold on Weeden. They didn't draft him and he mostly stunk last year. So why write an article stating the obvious? And come to think of it, is every Dolphins FO member sold on Tannehill? Is every Chargers FO member sold on Rivers? Is every Broncos FO member sold on Manning? Heck, was every Ravens FO member sold on Flacco before the start of last season (because they didn't really want to extend him if I remember)?

It's an obvious article to incite a negative reaction with no facts in it. It's junk.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a lot better article. They are going to give Weeden a chance. Why should they endorse him as their long-term qb after that crap season he put up last year? He is getting a chance.

I really like hearing that he is working harder this year. Great sign. I didn't hear that last year. That encourages me. I just pray that he can learn to read defenses and coverages.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I know it's silly season and all, but are you really citing a preseason game as evidence that Weeden looks like a viable starter in this league?

No, you were. He was a rookie last yr. but you said he did not look like a starter this yr., and you only have one game to go on for this yr. Like I said let the man play.

As far as Banner goes, whats wrong with what he said? They are giving him all the chances they can for him to succeed. I'm not good at reading between the lines so maybe I'm lost.

#GMSTRONG

Legend
Legend
Weeden could have a stellar year and we are still drafting a QB high in next years draft..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Weeden could have a stellar year and we are still drafting a QB high in next years draft..

Yes, and pigs can fly, too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I agree with this. If Weeds works out, then we will still have a few yrs. to draft a QB and let him learn for a couple of yrs.

#GMSTRONG

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
When I said 'thus far', I meant thus far in his career.

And like I said, he has a chance, and a good system fit for that chance.

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion that he can't make it, but the odds of him making it as an NFL starter aren't very high right now.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know, man. Hope your wrong though. Just tired of always looking for a QB.

#GMSTRONG

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Let's put it this way - if Weeden's a dud this year, we should be in the high-middle first round, with some back ammo in accumulated picks, and any QB we took would have the best starting scenario of any QB we've had since the return.

I'm with you that I hope a light goes on for Weeden, but I'm not holding my breath.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Cleveland Browns QB competition between Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell 'still close,' Rob Chudzinski says

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said Tuesday that the quarterback competition between Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell remains tight despite Weeden taking all the first-team reps in camp.

"I think it's still close and we're finding out every game, and these games are important opportunities for guys to show what they can do,'' said Chudzinski.

Chudzinski said he still wants to see more from the quarterbacks before naming his starter. Brian Hoyer has been working exclusively with the third team.

"There's still three preseason games left so there's still a lot of work to be done. We've still got plenty of practice time as well. Every day is an evaluation and we're looking at them every day and they each have done well and shown good things along the way."

Chudzinski said he can get a good read on Campbell regardless of which unit he leads. "I think the things that he's demonstrated with that group are what I would expect and I think that he's shown well.''

Chudzinski said Campbell has displayed the qualities he wants in a starter.

"He played on an offense that was similar, so that familiarity has been good,'' he said. "In terms of leadership, you see him do all of the extra things with helping receivers out and helping young guys out, helping getting guys lined up.''

Chudzinski said there hasn't been anything that's made him question Weeden's first-team status.

"I don't look at it like that,'' he said. "You look at maybe a day or a play or a throw or this or that may be something you'd like to improve on. You see the progress.''

He added, "There's a point where I'll name a starting quarterback, (but) not yet. The plan is to find the right guys and we'll make determinations along the way.''

Campbell said his main focus is on improving every day and he thinks he's done that.

Weeden re-iterated, "I'm confident I'm going to be the guy.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/08/cleveland_browns_quarterback_c_21.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Pretty much the way I see it. I hope he is the guy, like so many on here think he is. However, very smart move by the FO by acquiring higher picks in next year's draft just in case he isn't and we want to make a package deal to move up in the draft to select the top qb.

I really think these guys have a sound plan. I know most people don't like Banner, but in a few years, y'all will be saying how you loved us hiring him all along.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Uh-Oh!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The 2014 draft potentially has a very talented Qb class. Around 10 guys who could be considered 1st round picks if they have very good years this year. Let's say 4 of them do. What does Weeden have to do for us not to take one of those guys with our 1st round pick?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Have us draft high enough where none of those guys are available.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think it's all about wins and losses. I don't think it is all about his stats. But, the freaking guy better learn to read defenses and coverages and show some "it." If he does those things, keep him. If he doesn't, ditch him.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

Quote:

...he's being pumped info by someone ... I wonder who?

The coaching staff has everything to lose if Weeden performs poorly under their tutelege. So I don't believe it's the coaches.I don't see what Banner would have to gain if he is the Deep Throat (which I doubt). That leaves only somebody in the FO whose initials are ML. He never did like Weeden if memory serves me correctly...

I disagree with one point. The coaching staff has nothing to lose if Weeden performs poorly. He's not their mistake. They've been handed an old(er) Volkswagen Beetle and told to make it run like a brand new Bentley Flying Spur. If Weeden doesn't pan out this year they can throw up their hands and say, "We didn't draft him. The old staff could not make him work. And we are MUCH better a coaching staff than them and even WE couldn't make him work."

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would like to take this time to claim a first class seat on the Brett Hundley bandwagon.

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Agreed.

The coaching staff has nothing to lose by starting Weeden.

If he blossoms, great. If he flops, they didn't pick him.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

I don't think it's all about wins and losses. I don't think it is all about his stats. But, the freaking guy better learn to read defenses and coverages and show some "it." If he does those things, keep him. If he doesn't, ditch him.

Huh? I think that W's put you in the playoffs and a Lombardi trophy in your case. It is ALL about the wins and losses.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Not Sold On Weeden?

Link Copied to Clipboard