Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Weeden is an average QB, not great, not horrible. He is not the QB that's going to lead us to a SB championship.

That's what they said about Joe Flacco after his first year.

COUGH COUGH trent dilfer COUGH COUGH

If it wins us the Super Bowl, I'll take Colt McCoy back.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I wasn't even going to reach for a QB that relied solely on defense.... Flacco was very questionable early in his career as to whether he had what it took to really lead a team and it took him a few years to grow into it... but last year he was a big part of them winning the super bowl, not just the QB along for the ride.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Weeden is an average QB, not great, not horrible. He is not the QB that's going to lead us to a SB championship.

COUGH COUGH trent dilfer COUGH COUGH

The 2000 Ravens won despite Dilfer. The 2012 Ravens won because of Flacco (and Rahim Moore)

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

Oh you just had to mention someone that plays for the Ravens.

Anyway, Flacco won two playoff games his rookie year. I don't know why they said that about him?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Anyway, Flacco won two playoff games his rookie year. I don't know why they said that about him?

That he looked like Bert:

Legend
Legend
Quote:

In the first playoff game against the Dolphins the Ravens scored 27 points, Flacco was 9/23 for 135 yards... Ed Reed scored a TD and the defense gave up 9 points.

In the second game, Flacco was 11/22 for 161 yards... and the defense only gave up 10 points...

And in the 3rd game, which they lost because they actually needed to score points, he was 13/30 for 141 yards and 3 INTs...

So when you say "Flacco won two playoff games" ... if you mean he was on the field for the wins, then yea, he won them... but he didn't win them in the sense that he won the playoff games last year...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

In the first playoff game against the Dolphins the Ravens scored 27 points, Flacco was 9/23 for 135 yards... Ed Reed scored a TD and the defense gave up 9 points.

In the second game, Flacco was 11/22 for 161 yards... and the defense only gave up 10 points...

And in the 3rd game, which they lost because they actually needed to score points, he was 13/30 for 141 yards and 3 INTs...

So when you say "Flacco won two playoff games" ... if you mean he was on the field for the wins, then yea, he won them... but he didn't win them in the sense that he won the playoff games last year...

Thank you for that. This was my recollection of things and I wanted to make the same comment, but I didn't have the time to look things up to make this same post

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
His combined playoff stats that year were....

33 for 85 (38.8%).... 437 yards... 1 TD, 3 INTs... rating 45.1

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think Weeden can do that !

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think Weeden can do that !

I don't think that there is a single Cleveland QB over the last 13 years that couldn't do that.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I don't think that there is a single Cleveland QB over the last 13 years that couldn't do that.

"I tried, O.K."

Legend
Legend
Haha, I can't even remember who that is.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Are you kidding me?

How could any of us forget the inimitable...

wait fo it-

Todd Philcox???

p.s. Wikipedia rocks!

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Haha, I can't even remember who that is.

Why that's none other than the unforgettable Jake Delhomme.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Brandon Weeden says no "reason to push the panic button like everyone wants to'' on Cleveland Browns offense

BEREA, Ohio -- Despite what it seems like after the Browns' 27-6 loss to the Colts, the sky is not falling in Berea, quarterback Brandon Weeden said today.

"I don't think there's any reason to push the panic button like a lot of people want to, but we've got to learn from it,'' said Weeden. "We've got to take the things that we didn't do very well and correct them and get better come Thursday and moving forward when we play Miami.''

He said he was referring to folks outside the building, not anyone in the organization.

"People are creatures of habit. You lose a game and it's just like everybody wants to (panic),'' he said. "But the attitude in here's been great all day. It's not in this room. We're excited. We saw the mistakes and they're all fixable.''

He acknowledged that the offense's woeful performance against a good Colts team was a wakeup call.

"Sometimes you need that,'' he said. "You need a little slap in the face to say 'listen, you've got to continue to grind.' It's human nature to get a little ahead of yourself, but what better timing. It doesn't count in the win-loss record.''

He said the loss should be kept in perspective.

"It's never as good and never as bad as you think it is,'' Weeden said. "We missed some opportunities. We couldn't get any momentum going. Momentum is so big offensively and we couldn't get anything going. It's tough when you get in third and long situations. We made it tougher on ourselves.''

He said he'd be fine playing Thursday night in Chicago.

"If that's what he wants to do, absolutely, I'm all for it,'' said Weeden. "I'm personally a creature of habit so I like to not take a ton of time off.''

He rejected the notion that he's locking on to his receivers.

"It's overrated,'' he said with a smile. "I've got to look where I'm throwing. I'm not that good yet.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/08/brandon_weeden_cleveland_brown.html

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
The only thing I might quibble with, Bone, is that our offensive line is a "solid group." I assume you're basing that on the presumption that we get our original starting guards back, in which case I would say I agree with that. However, I'd qualify it by saying they are solid in pass-blocking but even at 100% healthy they were never a good run-blocking line. Thomas isn't all that in the run-game, though I maintain he's probably still the best pass-blocking LT in the game. Mack is good but not all powerful. Schwartz is coming along but still young. The guards? Never good run-blockers.

So why go there? Because I fully agree that we're only going to go as far as Weeden will take us. Even assuming Richardson starts all 16-games there are going to be many games where he's got nowhere to go, and for all the great things he does he isn't the kind that can create on his own. Never was supposed to be. So that means it's going to fall on the lap of the soon-to-be 30-year old sophomore.

Are the Browns sold on Weeden? I don't think so. Do they think he has a fighting chance to turn into an above average starter for the last 3 or 4 good years he has left in the league? I do believe that.

Just don't ask me what I believe, hehe.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

+1 and I think he will.

Why do you think he will? Any facts? Any logic or reason? Or, just wishful thinking because you like the guy?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I think so too. I think that the Browns really did a lot of different stuff in this last game that threw the offense off rhythm.

I read that same crap on the Post Game thread from you and another guy. So, this is the line now? We stunk, and Weeden in particular stunk, because the coaching staff purposely called plays and formations to make him look bad so Miami wouldn't have anything to look at? Right?

So, do you guys really believe that the Dolphins only have access to game 3 of the preseason? Really?

It's these types of lame excuses that drive me nuts. The guy was terrible. The team was terrible. The coaches did not game plan to make us look terrible. Good God!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

He rejected the notion that he's locking on to his receivers.

"It's overrated,'' he said with a smile. "I've got to look where I'm throwing. I'm not that good yet.''

Locking onto receivers is overrated, huh?

I suppose holding the ball too long is overrated, too?

What about pocket presence? Overrated, right Brandon?

Seeing the filed? Overrated. Better to check down for a minimal game and keep that completion percentage up.

You know..........I do want the guy to succeed because that would be best for the Browns, but I have to say...........I really don't like the guy. His comments last year when he threw Passive Pat under the bus for calling a play they didn't practice THAT PARTICULAR WEEK, left a bad taste in my mouth. The above quoted comments speak of arrogance and foolishness. He looks like a dummy out there. His facial expressions don't inspire confidence.

Yes, he was a rookie last year, but he is going to be 30. How much better can he get? I could be wrong and hope I am...........but, I think he is a chump.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you (like me) were one of the posters saying we shouldn't put too much stock into the first two games because it was preseason. Wouldn't that mean we also shouldn't put too much stock into the third game?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Weeden is an average QB, not great, not horrible. He is not the QB that's going to lead us to a SB championship. That QB is still playing in college or for another NFL team.

Other than his arm strength, how is he not horrible.

He was ranked at the bottom of the league rankings. His team sucked in terms of record. He threw more picks than TDs. He doesn't inspire his teammates. He rarely makes plays when we really need them. What about him---other than a decent arm---is not horrible?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree...........we should not put too much stock into a preseason game. What makes you think I did?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

+1 and I think he will.

Why do you think he will? Any facts? Any logic or reason? Or, just wishful thinking because you like the guy?

What I see. Is that difficult to understand? I see I form an opinion, not an argument.

Joe Thomas #73
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that is what I thought.

Legend
Legend
We'll see what happens when the season opens.

As far as this game, Chud did say that they used different plays because of the situation at RG. He also said that the receivers "could do a better job of getting themselves open". We also played more under Center in this game than in previous games. You don't like to admit if, but he has played much better from the shotgun, and putting him under Center made life far more difficult for him. Like it or not, he is much better from the shotgun, and playing him under Center for much of the game, and not calling many of the plays that had been successful in the 1st 2 games .... like screens and slants .... is curious. This game plan was completely different than the one used in the 1st 2 games. Again, I think that the coaches wanted to try some plays the offense wasn't as comfortable with ..... and to see if they have improved in game conditions with regards to some of those plays. Further, I don't think that we wanted to show anything to the Dolphins. You disagree, and that's cool.

As far as Colt goes, he was awful. He could not do a thing except against soft zones. He would often go into the 4th quarter of a game, down by multiple scores and with 70 yards (or so) passing , and the other defense was content to trade yards for time. He was one of the worst QBs I have ever seen, and was much worse than Weeden has been. Again, you disagree, and that's cool. We'll see what happens as the season progresses. Just don't expect that everyone has to agree with you. The whole nature of a message board is that people will disagree. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. No biggie.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

We'll see what happens as the season progresses. Just don't expect that everyone has to agree with you. The whole nature of a message board is that people will disagree. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. No biggie.

Not that I agree with vers........but read this part of your post again. Seems to me you really took issue with people disagreeing with you on Weeden last year.

This is a brand new year for Weeden. His 3 pre season games so far don't mean a whole lot, imo.

And vers, while you may have valid points at times, imo, your posting style turns many off - just as ytowns last year did. And, just as my posting turns many off, I know. FWIW

And I hear both of you say "I admit when I'm wrong.".........but color me not impressed, as I haven't seen either of you do that. No biggie.

Legend
Legend
Really?

I have admitted to being wrong. Hell, I initially liked both the McCoy and Quinn drafts. However, when I saw that they could not play to a productive level, I changed my mind on them. I was wrong, and said so. I just said that I made a mistake on Norwood. No biggie. We all make mistakes.

I am still waiting for ... ahem ...... some people who fought tooth and nail telling me how great McCoy would be to man up and admit that ...... *ahem* ........ "they" .......... were wrong.

Legend
Legend

Watched the Colts game for the first time last night.

Pre-season games make it hard to keep a proper perspective because so much happens in the fourth quarter of the regular season.

The blocking looked decent both in the run game and protection. Weeden didn't look as bad as I thought when I read about the game. At the same time he didn't look much different than last year. He can throw a good pass and then look like he just can't see what is in front of him.

When watching Luck on the other hand he seems to know exactly where to go with the ball play after play.

In the end analysis that is what we have. Weeden will look good at times and confused at other times.

I want a quarterback that I believe in and Weeden is not that guy.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Really?

I have admitted to being wrong. Hell, I initially liked both the McCoy and Quinn drafts. However, when I saw that they could not play to a productive level, I changed my mind on them. I was wrong, and said so. I just said that I made a mistake on Norwood. No biggie. We all make mistakes.

I am still waiting for ... ahem ...... some people who fought tooth and nail telling me how great McCoy would be to man up and admit that ...... *ahem* ........ "they" .......... were wrong.

Would that be....ahem....Moi???

If I ever said McCoy was great, or the "answer", I don't remember it. What I DID do was defend the qb of the Browns., some would say (and I'd probably agree with them) that I was making excuses for him.

Now, since McCoy got cut, I haven't said anything good or bad about him.

And just to clarify, yes, last year I picked on Weeden (and you), mainly because you were adamant from the moment we got him that he would be a huge improvement. I didn't see most of what you basically "guaranteed" about him.

And, as I know you read all the threads, I do think you'll find that this year I've said I fully expect Weeden to be improved over last year, if for no other reason than this is his second year. qb's generally improve in their second year. The game supposedly "slows down" for them. If for no other reason, I expect Weeden to be improved, even if his footwork, accuracy, ......all the tangibles, stay the same. The intangibles (mental part basically) should be better. And please note, I've only seen a few plays of the pre-season games, so I don't comment - good or bad - about Weeden, or any other player. That's why I come here - to get opinions, etc, from people that have watched them.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I see a lot of words on here, but no one has answered this question:

Quote:

Other than his arm strength, how is he not horrible?

He was ranked at the bottom of the league rankings. His team sucked in terms of record. He threw more picks than TDs. He doesn't inspire his teammates. He rarely makes plays when we really need them. What about him---other than a decent arm---is not horrible?

Still waiting.

What about him is not horrible? He was a rookie. In a brand new system. He is not Peyton Manning, or Eli, or whoever.

Quit ditching on the qb of the Browns, especially since the games haven't begun.

This is his second year. I am on record as saying I expect him to bet better than his first year.

I will also defend him against people that assume they know more than others. Especially those that think they know more than the coaches. Let's face it, if you were awesome, you'd be coaching somewhere. You aren't.

Weeden may suck this year. But can we at least give him a few games to determine that? Thanks in advance.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Of course we can give him a few games. In fact, the Browns have named him the starter. Did you miss that?

And perhaps you did not read the tense of my question. He was horrible last year. Saying he is a rookie is not a strength. What is it that he does well other than throw hard?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Of course we can give him a few games. In fact, the Browns have named him the starter. Did you miss that?

No, I didn't miss that.
Quote:

And perhaps you did not read the tense of my question. He was horrible last year. Saying he is a rookie is not a strength. What is it that he does well other than throw hard?

We'll find out won't we?

I will not be condescending towards you. However, lets see what he can do in his second year before we just trash him. Is that fair?

Do you expect Luck to be better this year? Do you expect RG to be better this year? I certainly do.

Perhaps you missed the tone of my post: Quit digging on the guy that's going to be the qb of the Browns. Half way through this season? That's a different story........but we haven't started the games yet.

However.......what do YOU find Weeden WORSE at this year?

V
Legend
Legend
V
arch...........I've always liked you and I am not sure why you are trying to pick a fight w/me????

I never said we shouldn't give him this year to prove himself.

I never said he can't improve.

I simply said he was horrible last year and that I challenged anyone to tell me what he HAS DONE well thus far.

People were ragging on Colt for this and that. I don't think Colt is a good QB, so I am NOT in his camp. I just wanna know what did Weeds do well?

In my opinion, I saw a strong arm. He can be accurate on some throws.

Other than that, I saw nothing else that was positive. So why all the bashing of Colt and give Weeds a pass? It doesn't make sense to me.

Give me examples of things that Weeden is good at. Things that we saw last year.

Again, not saying he can't or won't improve. I hope he does. But, what did he really do good last year other than show he has a good arm?

It's a discussion, arch. No need to get upset about it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh..........I did not answer your question.

I don't think he is WORSE at anything thus far, nor do I expect him to be. That wasn't my point, man.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't try to pick fights. However, if someone disagrees with someone, do you consider that "picking a fight"?

I'm not sold on Weeden based on what I SAW last year. Poor mechanics, I didn't see much accuracy, I didn't see him making the D respond to his actions. I saw "scared" most of the time. I don't know that I'd even say he has a strong arm. I guess that goes back to "who are we comparing him to."

Yes, people ragged on Colt about anything and everything, some even going as far as to call him out on his facial attributes. I defended Colt to an extent.........he was in a bad situation, and it showed. It's also shown he's not all that.

Weeden wasn't all that last year. Not by any stretch. He can/should only get better. Like I said, I didn't even notice his strong arm. Accuracy? I didn't see it (and someone will come along and point out a pass here or there that was rifled) Decision making sure didn't seem to be fantastic. Happy feet. Check down.

But, I wouldn't say he was "horrible" last year. Yeah, color me crazy, I think rookie qb's get a pass on their rookie years.

You say you saw a strong arm. Anderson had a strong arm. How'd that work out?

Weeden has many of the physical tools........it's the mental tools that are in question, and yes, I firmly believe he will do better this year. Time will tell. He will, or he won't.

I'm not upset in the least, so we can toss that right out of the mix here.

And the "arch, I've always like you......" line. Wasn't it you that went ballistic towards me about 2 years ago? I won't go into detail.............and if it wasn't you, my apologies. I'm not great at remembering things for years and years like some posters do (and they always seem to bring it up, somehow, some way)

Regardless. Weeden gets this year. This is his put up or shut up year. I have no doubt I will be critical of him.........but just ;like I was with Colt, I'll also stick up for him. Weeden is the qb of the Browns.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'm not sure what's going on -- are you guys arguing the same point? It seems that both of you are saying the same thing.

P
PDR Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm not great at remembering things for years and years like some posters do (and they always seem to bring it up, somehow, some way)

It was eight months ago when you called me a liar for bringing up the fact that you insinuated a desire to fight me.

It usually doesn't come up unless you bring it up, accuse me of being a liar, or throw one of your temper tantrums.

If you want to let it die, stop bringing it up, and act like an adult instead of flying off the handle anytime you get perturbed.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll back up the quote you posted from arch. It seems you just did find a way to "bring it up" even though you weren't a part of the conversation.

Quote:

If you want to let it die, stop bringing it up...

R-i-g-h-t.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I think so too. I think that the Browns really did a lot of different stuff in this last game that threw the offense off rhythm.

I read that same crap on the Post Game thread from you and another guy. So, this is the line now? We stunk, and Weeden in particular stunk, because the coaching staff purposely called plays and formations to make him look bad so Miami wouldn't have anything to look at? Right?

So, do you guys really believe that the Dolphins only have access to game 3 of the preseason? Really?

It's these types of lame excuses that drive me nuts. The guy was terrible. The team was terrible. The coaches did not game plan to make us look terrible. Good God!

Relax Vers ... Relax.

Remember how you didn't want to give Weeden ANY props for playing well in preseason ??? Remember ?? Well this was another preseason game. So - if he was horrible. It don't matter. You said so yourself. Get over it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Not Sold On Weeden?

Link Copied to Clipboard