Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Simple question, what plays do you think this offense could run well on a consistent basis?

I made this thread because of an article over at Grantland talking about the Lead Draw.

I haven't seen us run this play yet in the preseason, but really think it plays to a couple of strengths on this offense, namely that it allows the offensive line to block as if it were a passing play instead of a running play (and our guys are obviously much better suited to pass block), and would give Trent space to see the play develop, as he is better when he has a little bit more time to see what is happening than just barreling straight ahead inside.

One more reason, and I think it is a big one, this was the play that allowed the Dallas Cowboys to run roughshod over everyone in the early '90s. They would run Lead Draw over and over and over again, with massive success.

Whover the OC was for those teams must have really loved the play and known how to teach the offense to run it effectively.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Legend
Legend
The screen pass comes to mind simply because we never seem to be able to execute it ... not for the past 14 years.

I also wish we would be more consistent on 3rd/4th and short situations. I watch a lot of football, and we seem to be the worst in the league in short yardage situations.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to admit the play action, backside slip screen to the TE is one of my favorites that you dont want to use often but it can be a monster play with a guy like Trich drawing attention. Chud had some good success with running it with Steve Heiden.

For defense its more about the defense i dont want to see. NO PREVENT!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Touchdowns

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Touchdowns

For us.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Heavy package, FB sweep

Oh wait... We tried that once.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we win football games, I don't care if we run a QB sneak every play.

Legend
Legend
What about putting the TE at the FB spot and handing it off to him up the A gap?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Quote:

What about putting the TE at the FB spot and handing it off to him up the A gap?

I guess I should have known better than to try and discuss football in the pure football forum.

I just don't understand why people who are supposedly fans of the game of football wouldn't want to discuss what kind of plays we could be successful with.

There is a lot of fascinating stuff going on in the NFL in terms of how different people approach and think about the game. I think it is a shame that this board is basically an intellectual wasteland when we could be having an interesting discussion.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Legend
Legend
We are sometimes (OK, most times) rather irreverent. It's nothing personal.

Anyway, to answer your question ......

I love seeing Gordon on those little slants or crosses. I think that Little could also run those same routes, and turn a small play into a huge play.

I also liked the WR screen we threw to Gordon the other day. It was a pure "look at me" play, and it worked for a nice 6 or 7 easy yards.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Near the goal-line, I like the "play-action sweep left, where the QB really sells the flip to the RB, then naked bootlegs right and throws to an always wide open TE play", although I don't think you can call it that in the huddle. It would take too long. Probably, they just call it the "Daggers play" or the "Taking candy from a baby play".

On defense, on 3rd and long, I like the jailbreak blitz, where we send everyone, including Joe Banner. Except when we get burned, in which case I hate it and call it stupid.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Real simple and superbly effective with Weeden at the helm.

20 yard skinny post ALL DAY LONG!

Legend
Legend
IMO, I think any time you run the same play a lot you're asking for trouble. The key is always to keep the defense guessing.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I liked the one where Weeden threw the ball off the defensive player, caught it, and then threw it again. We should do that one more.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Victory formation!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Victory formation!

That's one I think we can all get behind.

Legend
Legend
We already practiced the kneeldown way too much. I would like to see more outside stuff like the power sweep. Making a packed up box cover sideline to sideline early helps wear down and get outside good rushers. Like Pruitt's runs. I also like screens for same reason.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Any play that puts Little, Gordon, or Benjamin one on one with a safety.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The screen pass comes to mind simply because we never seem to be able to execute it ... not for the past 14 years.

To be fair, we haven't been able to defend against the screen, either.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Whover the OC was for those teams must have really loved the play and known how to teach the offense to run it effectively.

That OC is now our OC.

I'm sure we are not seeing half of what we are gonna see in the real season.

All i want is to see us play smart and attack. I can see us doing whatever presents itself. Run the ball if they try to shut down our passing, and pass when they stack the box to stop the run.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What plays would you like to see on a consistent basis?

Link Copied to Clipboard