Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Thought this was a good read. Hopefully Rubin gets the national recognition he deserves this season.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/08/without_fanfare_cleveland_brow.html

Without fanfare, Cleveland Browns' Ahtyba Rubin keeps motoring, leading by example

By:Tom Reed
The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio – On a rare humid day at Browns training camp, Ahtyba Rubin trotted to the sidelines with the rest of the first-team defense, dropped his helmet and ran two wind sprints across the width of an adjacent practice field.

Nobody joined him. Hardly anyone took notice of the 6--2, 330-pound defensive lineman grinding under the late afternoon sun.

“Just trying to keep my conditioning level up,” Rubin said matter-of-factly.

Before he became one of the hardest-working athletes on the Cleveland sports scene – think Anderson Varejao minus the long hair and longer injury report – Rubin was taught a valuable lesson from his high school coaches in Pensacola, Fla.: Leadership is what you do when nobody else is watching.

Or, in the Browns’ case, only the diehards when you’re sitting 3-10 in December.

He's one of the most, if not the most, underrated defensive linemen in the NFL.
Rubin’s five-year pro career has been marked by double-digit losing seasons and a relentless drive to rise above the Berea dysfunction. He’s led all NFL interior defensive linemen in tackles since 2010 with 209 and has won the respect of every coaching staff for which he’s played.

Put Rubin’s motor and maturity into Gerard Warren’s frame and you would have had a perennial Pro Bowler.

Rookie edge rusher Barkevious Mingo told reporters on Sunday that assistants want “everybody to play more like Rube.” He is the Jack Russell terrier whose master must occasionally hide the tennis ball for fear the old dog might run himself to death.

“He’s one of the most, if not the most, underrated defensive linemen in the NFL,” linebacker D’Qwell Jackson said. “I’ve been around him from Day 1 here and he’s had the same commitment. He’s an extremely good player who simply hasn’t had the notoriety throughout the league.

“He’s the player you want to model your game after – the way he prepares, the way he practices. I try to emulate him and it’s hard to do.”

If one play illustrates Rubin’s effort, it occurred in San Francisco two seasons ago. Naturally, it came in a loss. Not surprisingly, it came at the end of a big play for the offense.

Niners running back Frank Gore skirted the left side of the line and ran for 26 yards. Jackson picks up the story from Browns film study:

“Out of corner of the screen you see Rube running all the way across the field to make the tackle. He ran more than 30 yards and he popped right up like it was nothing.”

Two years ago, Rubin was an integral part of a top-10 defense that gained little acclaim because the only offense came from Phil Dawson’s toe. Last year was a difficult one for Rubin, who was hampered by groin and calf injuries and saw his streak of consecutive games snapped at 55.

He is healthy again and ready to accept a new challenge – playing defensive end in Ray Horton’s 3-4, multi-front scheme alongside Phil Taylor and Desmond Bryant. He’s also worked as a nose guard and tackle in his time with the Browns.

“I’m just happy to be on the team,” said Rubin, who earned a three-year, $27 million contract extension in 2011. “They kept me around for this long. I’ll just keep getting my coaching in and be in the film room and see how it goes on Sundays.”

The Browns are building a good defensive line rotation, buttressed by the young depth Billy Winn, John Hughes and Ishmaa’ily Kitchen provide. Winn and Hughes raved last season about the example Rubin sets. It’s not just about hustle and technique, but little things such as never carrying a cell phone into team meetings.

His quiet leadership and steady production often go unnoticed around the league because of the Browns’ record and his obscurity as an interior defender who doesn’t compile sacks. A year ago, Bleacher Report listed Rubin as the “most overpaid player” on the Browns.

“That’s because people don’t know who he is,” Jackson said. “If we take care of our business this year I will make it my mission to make sure people know who Ahtyba Rubin is.”

The unassuming big man doesn’t require a promoter or a Twitter account. He just needs lots of people inside the organization’s headquarters to catch up to his commitment level.

It’s going to take more than a couple of wind sprints.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Its hard to believe he's been here 6 years, and yes he is definitely underrated ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
j/c

nice article about one of my favorite, most underrated Browns. His rookie year he gave me his gloves, sweatbands, and a signed helmet ... and he was so nice about the whole thing. He deserves way more credit than he typically gets ... especially from outside of Cleveland.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think Browns fans know who Ahtyba Rubin is. He's been a stalwart since the first day he played, and I think fans understand who no longer is on that defensive line and that Rubin has outlasted them.

Unrelated subject, I think the defensive line can be the cause of wins this year if it dominates. As a group it should.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I look at our DLine, OLBs, WRs, and Trent as just as good as any other respective groups in the NFL.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I look at our DLine, OLBs, WRs, and Trent as just as good as any other respective groups in the NFL.

Dont forget our Oline

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Maybe not our entire Oline ... but our offensive tackles for sure.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've always loved Rube. I can't believe some wanted to trade him this year.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't feel most that mentioned it "wanted him traded". They were just trying to do the math.

If you spend 70 mil. in the FA market and the #6 overall draft pick ALL on your front seven, you figure someone will have to go or they don't see someone fitting the scheme. Which makes sense.

There was a lot of talk about a possible trade of Sheard on draft day too. As it turns out, it seems Sheard and Big Phil have been the biggest producers thus far and we may have been better off than anyone thought before the cash infusion was made in the front seven.

Time will tell.......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
He is making a hefty amount of money. Not saying he hasn't or isn't earning it, but people will say this stuff to justify wanting to trade him...

I think Horton would flip his top if we traded him, I know I would if I was a d-coordinator with a talented big man who can hustle like he can...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We don't disagree. Notice how I said "some" and not "most."

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
I'm a flight attendant for a major carrier. Ahtyba was on a friend's flight about 3 months ago. She knows I am a die hard Browns fan and got an autograph for me. He was pleased to sign one and she got a pic with him as well

"Awww Nawww Big Slimdog!!!"
-Eminem, "B**** Please Pt. II"
Legend
Legend

Good stuff ... from all accounts he's a very nice, humble dude.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Good stuff ... from all accounts he's a very nice, humble dude.

Yep. Humble, quiet, and goes about his business in a professional way.

No doubt one of the best 6 3/4 round picks ever by the Browns.

Leading ALL D interior linemen in tackles since 2010 sure says a bunch.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Rubin has been nothing but a class act and silent leader since being drafted by the Browns. The countless stories of him leading by example both on and off the field are great to hear/read. As a 6th rounder, he moved his way up the ranks and proved to be a valuable commodity in the NFL. Not many 6th rounders can say that.

Personally, I was not all that enamored with his performance in the old 3-4 as a NT under Crennel & Mangini but thought he did very well in the 4-3 as a DT. Also, I was very concerned about his ability to go to DE in a 3-4, however, Horton has praised him and that is all I need to hear, honestly. But...this is a business and IMO, there are two things Rubin has to worry about....

1. His contract expires after next season (roughly the same cap hit as this year, I believe).
2. Billy Winn.

After that, it's smooth sailing.

Depending on his performance in his new position in a new 3-4 D will tell us what happens to Rubin, obviously. There are also a lot of players who have expiring contracts with Cleveland and/or contracts worth extending in 2014 and the FO will have to make some tough decisions. Making tough decisions aren't a normalcy around here when it comes to retaining current players, and although it may effect players we like, it's a good sign organizationally.

Now, I have no idea where Rubin falls into the grand scheme of things regarding the FO's long term view, but I will say, he'll only be around 28 yrs old when his contract expires, and if he performs in Horton's system like he thinks he will, he'll be worth keeping around.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I remember during training camp back in what I think was his second season with us, watching him hand-fighting/slapping with Ted Washington and seeing that he had something special. Even then, everything he did just stood out.

I'm glad that he is still here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
In fairness to Ted Washington, he was well past his prime at that point. But I guess going up against a 350lb is worth noting.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

In fairness to Ted Washington, he was well past his prime at that point. But I guess going up against a 350lb is worth noting.

Are you sure he was talking about Washington and not Shaun Rodgers?

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure he was talking about Washington and not Shaun Rodgers?

Sorry. Ooops.

I meant <insert name of large DLineman that used to be good before he got here, but was highly respected elsewhere>.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I totally forgot about Ted Washington's stint here in Cleveland ... thanks for reminding me about it

D
Legend
Legend
D
How could you possibly forgot about him? He was the big fat guy that stood in the same position snap after snap - hitting the offensive linemen hands and arms "making" it seem like he was putting in work hahaha...

With that said, I don't believe it was anticipated for Ted to come in and boss stuff. More so a mentor role but either or, served no purpose playing.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ahtyba Rubin Leading by Example

Link Copied to Clipboard